Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

On 8/17/2020 at 10:38 PM, Toonces464 said:

Why? Why replace her with a black host? Why not a Chinese host? Or an Indian host? Or another white host? Or even better yet...why replace her at all? Why does everything have to be about race?

Bottom line is for years fans have called for changes in the judging.....and yet here they are going into next season with the judging intact and the best thing about the show gone. The show thumbed their noses at the fans and I, for one, refuse to "reward" their big ol' screw you. I won't be giving them even one sniff of a rating coming from my house.

And I swear, if I see that commercial one more time with Tyra Banks yapping about how this is going to be so next level, I'm going to throw my shoe through my TV.

I don't see why they replaced her, either. She didn't bother me. The judges were far more annoying. I think they are way past their expiration date.

• Love 1

I don't think Sharna nor Artem is that popular. The show just needs something to buzz about. It's on its way out and they need something to keep themselves in the news. How great it would be if they could actually land a big star! Or at least, someone worth talking about.

I still don't see how they are going to pull this off without people getting sick. The show is taped in LA, right? It's still a covid zoo out here in California.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I don't think Sharna nor Artem is that popular. The show just needs something to buzz about. It's on its way out and they need something to keep themselves in the news. How great it would be if they could actually land a big star! Or at least, someone worth talking about.

I still don't see how they are going to pull this off without people getting sick. The show is taped in LA, right? It's still a covid zoo out here in California.

From my understanding is everything is going to being zoom pretty much or computerized. The pro and their partner will be the only ones interacting with one another as everybody have to be seperated. I dont even think they will have a live audience unless the reduce the size of the audience.

9 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I don't see why they replaced her, either. She didn't bother me. The judges were far more annoying. I think they are way past their expiration date.

Im curious why they want let go of the judges? I wonder is it they cant find anyone to do the job for the pay the offer? I use to enjoy the judges but these past few seasons they have been per awful. The only one I can tolerate somewhat is Bruno but even he can be too much.

• Love 2

This article just went up within the last hour.  Has another version of it (with the same info) already been posted?  At a glance, I didn't see one, so forgive me if I am duplicating something already shared. 

Anne Heche, Jesse Metcalfe and Vernon Davis Confirmed for ‘Dancing With the Stars’ Season 29 

I like Jesse -- he does a lot of work for the Hallmark Channel (in fact, he has been filming a movie for them in the last week or two, up in Canada).  I know he sings.  I don't know if he can dance.

Anne Heche will be a handful.  Sometimes her kookiness can be amusing, and sometimes it is a bit scary.  lol  Strangely, her actual acting jobs are often not bad, and she does a good job with her characters.  It's the non-acting Anne (think talk shows and on social media) who is very quirky and sometimes hard to figure out.

Edited by TVFan17
  • Love 1
On 8/18/2020 at 1:16 PM, BradyBunchFan said:

I wonder when the celebrities will be announced.

they will be Announced this wednesday.......poor tom they should have kept him and made tyra a cohost and let tom have this as his last and farewell season for him   (he is 65 so I thing ageism played into this as well)

• Love 2

I read somewhere that they wanted derrick hough to come back  has there been any mention of this actually happening??

jesse metcalf is in the hallmark mtysteries series  marthas vineyard mystery series..we have seen 3 movies in that series and they are really good

Edited by sue450
38 minutes ago, sue450 said:

I read somewhere that they wanted derrick hough to come back  has there been any mention of this actually happening??

jesse metcalf is in the hallmark mtysteries series  marthas vineyard mystery series..we have seen 3 movies in that series and they are really good

Only 2 Martha's Vineyard Mysteries have aired so far.  The 3rd one has been in production over the last couple of weeks and it has not premiered yet.  It will probably premiere in January or early 2021.

Jesse Metcalfe is in Hallmark's family of regulars, so he does a lot of work with them.  He is one of the stars of "Chesapeake Shores," which is returning for another season next year, and he does other non-mystery movies with them as well.   (Viewers love him paired up with Autumn Reeser.)

In fact, Hallmark has been making big progress in getting their Christmas movies into production since they got the green light to start filming again,, and I had been wondering if Jesse would end up in one of them because most of their other regulars are doing Christmas movies this year.  Jesse just wrapped the 3rd Martha's Vineyard movie, and he could have gone right into a Christmas movie while in Canada.

But... unless Jesse gets booted off of DWTS in the first few weeks, he probably won't be able to get into a Christmas movie because there won't be time to get it done within the time frame Hallmark shoots their Christmas movies.  If he is off DWTS early on, then he can probably still do a movie.

Edited by TVFan17
1 hour ago, TVFan17 said:

But... unless Jesse gets booted off of DWTS in the first few weeks, he probably won't be able to get into a Christmas movie because there won't be time to get it done within the time frame Hallmark shoots their Christmas movies.  If he is off DWTS early on, then he can probably still do a movie.

If he goes to LA/the US for DWTS, he will have to quarantine 14 days when he comes back to Canada.  

20 minutes ago, DEL901 said:

If he goes to LA/the US for DWTS, he will have to quarantine 14 days when he comes back to Canada.  

Yep.  All the Hallmark actors filming Christmas movies have had to do that so far, if they were not already in Canada and had to work there.  They can get their movies filmed pretty quickly, and Hallmark shoots Christmas movies all the way into early November.  So there is a bit of time if Jesse were to get booted off DWTS early, even with the 2 weeks of quarantine added in, but  it will be cutting it very close.  So I assume he will not be doing a Christmas movie this year (because I'm hoping he does well on DWTS).

Edited by TVFan17
On 8/28/2020 at 7:03 PM, vdw84 said:

From my understanding is everything is going to being zoom pretty much or computerized. The pro and their partner will be the only ones interacting with one another as everybody have to be seperated. I dont even think they will have a live audience unless the reduce the size of the audience.

That makes sense. This season sounds really lame. No Tom and the same bunch of nobodies/has-beens. I thought maybe Tyra might be able to get someone worth watching, but I guess not. Too bad, this show used to be a lot of fun.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

That makes sense. This season sounds really lame. No Tom and the same bunch of nobodies/has-beens. I thought maybe Tyra might be able to get someone worth watching, but I guess not. Too bad, this show used to be a lot of fun.

I kinda disagree with the no names, I guess its just all who u know and fits ur demo. No its no major big names but im looking forward to Aj and Skai so far from the names I heard but thats just me. I seriously doubt the show will ever be able to get A and B list stars on this show unless they do a charity event and make it all ur top celeb names but other than that, I dont know. This show demands alot of time and usually A list stars cannot provide that much time.

On 8/29/2020 at 1:33 PM, TVFan17 said:

Yep.  All the Hallmark actors filming Christmas movies have had to do that so far, if they were not already in Canada and had to work there.  They can get their movies filmed pretty quickly, and Hallmark shoots Christmas movies all the way into early November.  So there is a bit of time if Jesse were to get booted off DWTS early, even with the 2 weeks of quarantine added in, but  it will be cutting it very close.  So I assume he will not be doing a Christmas movie this year (because I'm hoping he does well on DWTS).

I don't watch Hallmark Christmas movies.  Are the majority filmed in Canada?  I'm just wondering since there was a Hallmark Christmas scene filmed in Utah last month.  I don't know if they filmed the whole movie in Utah but at least a scene that had neighborhood type stores was filmed here.

2 hours ago, realdancemom said:

I don't watch Hallmark Christmas movies.  Are the majority filmed in Canada?  I'm just wondering since there was a Hallmark Christmas scene filmed in Utah last month.  I don't know if they filmed the whole movie in Utah but at least a scene that had neighborhood type stores was filmed here.

Yes, many of them are filmed in Canada.  Their government offers some pretty good incentives, and certain areas allow filming that looks like your traditional "White Christmas" many months of the year.  They're not my style either, so these titles mean nothing to me, but the curious might enjoy this article, which breaks down what of last year's batch was filmed where.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

Krystin Burtt confirmed Carole Baskin. Poor Pasha.

I know nothing about Tiger King or whatever it is called, I don't have Netflix, and all I know about this woman is that she is alleged to have killed her first husband and fed him to a tiger. I suppose after Tanya Harding, DWTS figured they had to move up in the world in targeting criminals.

• LOL 8
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

[Carole Baskin] is...alleged to have killed her first husband and fed him to a tiger.

Law enforcement has investigated these allegations at length and I think they have not been deemed credible.  My understanding is that their perpetuation is largely the result of "Tiger King" viewers considering her sort of a kook and a "ballbuster" (there were some really mysoginistic threads in the reactions I saw) and deciding accordingly that the sensational insinuations of the dead man's children must be true.  I didn't watch the show after I saw the trailer and the first batch of responses either: laughing at some particularly marginal examples of white trash acting the fool while animals suffer is not my idea of entertainment.  But I saw enough about it in my feeds and was curious to research a bit.

I do think drawing from this well is another reason not to watch the show, but a lot of people seem to have enjoyed the "documentary," so this must be what they think will attract viewers.  I also sincerely believe, thinking of high-profile cases, that OJ did it, Casey Anthony did it, Tonya Harding did it, etc.  I'm not here to be prissy about "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law."  I just don't personally think it's right to take the instincts of people watching a freak show who wanted to regard it as even freakier to declare that someone is a criminal.

It's truly nothing personal, and I hope you'll accept my apology if I've come over too strong.  I guess I just have a bee in my bonnet about everything associated with that whole affair, or the mere fact that it's something high profile in today's society.  To be clear, the one who's a convicted or even credibly accused criminal in that story is not her but her business rival Joe Exotic, who may get to watch her dance while serving 22 years in adsec at Fort Worth.

Edited by 853fisher
"At," not "as."
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Law enforcement has investigated these allegations at length and I think they have not been deemed credible.  My understanding is that their perpetuation is largely the result of "Tiger King" viewers considering her sort of a kook and a "ballbuster" (there were some really mysoginistic threads in the reactions I saw) and deciding accordingly that the sensational insinuations of the dead man's children must be true.  I didn't watch the show after I saw the trailer and the first batch of responses either: laughing at some particularly marginal examples of white trash acting the fool while animals suffer is not my idea of entertainment.  But I read enough about it and was curious to research a bit.

I do think drawing from this well is another reason not to watch the show, but a lot of people seem to have enjoyed the "documentary," so this must be what they think will attract viewers.  I also sincerely believe, thinking of high-profile cases, that OJ did it, Casey Anthony did it, Tonya Harding did it, etc.  I'm not here to be prissy about "innocent until proven guilty in a court of law."  I just don't personally think it's right to take the instincts of people watching a freak show who wanted to regard it as even freakier to declare that someone is a criminal.

It's truly nothing personal, and I hope you'll accept my apology if I've come over too strong.  I guess I just have a bee in my bonnet about everything associated with that whole affair.  To be clear, the only convicted or even credibly accused criminal is her business rival Joe Exotic, who may get to watch her dance while serving 22 years in adsec at Fort Worth.

If you're apologizing to me, there's no need 🙂 Like I said I've never watched this show or documentary so I honestly have no idea who she is and my only knowledge of her came from hearing her name all over the entertainment TV shows this summer.

2 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Krystin Burtt confirmed Carole Baskin. Poor Pasha.

I know nothing about Tiger King or whatever it is called, I don't have Netflix, and all I know about this woman is that she is alleged to have killed her first husband and fed him to a tiger. I suppose after Tanya Harding, DWTS figured they had to move up in the world in targeting criminals.

I watched Tiger King and I dont believe she had anything to do with that. I believe that was a story made up on her so she can take the fall for already corrupted person.

19 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

If you're apologizing to me, there's no need 🙂 Like I said I've never watched this show or documentary so I honestly have no idea who she is and my only knowledge of her came from hearing her name all over the entertainment TV shows this summer.

That’s very gracious of you. I’ll drink to your health and many more happy hours watching something else. 😉

4 hours ago, realdancemom said:

Although the number of Hallmark movies filmed in Canada vs. other locations changes every year, for the most part the majority of them are still filmed in different parts of Canada, but not all of them.  They used to film just about all of their movies -- Christmas and otherwise -- in Canada, and usually in Vancouver.  They started branching out to other parts of Canada too, but they also film something every year in Utah. 

Hallmark has filmed 3 Christmas movies in Utah so far this year, and will probably film at least one more there between now and early November.  They also sometimes film in Connecticut, Georgia, Tennessee, Ohio, Kentucky, California, Romania, Bulgaria, Ireland, Fiji, Mexico, etc.  This year Hallmark will premiere a movie that was shot in Vienna, and they are also filming at least one in South Carolina. 

Jesse Metcalfe's "Chesapeake Shores" and his "Martha's Vineyard Mysteries" movie series film more on the Vancouver side (and surrounding areas) of Canada instead of over on the Ontario side.

• Love 1

Never been a Metcalf fan since Desperate Housewives---I just found his character so smarmy.  This is definitely not a lineup I wish to watch at all.  It's my personal middle finger to ABC for getting rid of Tom.

Hallmark filmed some outdoor scenes for a few Hallmark movies in our town.  It's a tiny place where the middle of the shopping area looks very historical and has a village vibe.  We even kept up the Christmas decorations to allow them to film their holiday movies.  It's so funny when we see the town we all yell "there we are".  

• Love 7

I don't know some of these people, but I am interested to see AJ McLean, Chrishell Stause and Jeannie Mai.  I would think AJ can do just as well as Nick Carter did, although I've always thought Brian Littrell would do great on this show.

But Carole Baskin and Johnny Weir?  Ugh.  No thanks.

This quote from the USA Today article amuses me:

"We felt it was important to have a very relevant cast, to feel like people that we're talking about now," co-executive producer Deena Katz tells USA TODAY. Even if there are no controversy magnets like Bristol Palin or last year's Sean Spicer, President Trump's first press secretary, "We have a lot of people that are on current television shows and in the news. There's a little more sense of timeliness."

No controversy magnets?  What about Carole Baskin?  There's a good number of people who are convinced that she killed her first husband.

I don't mind that they dumped Tom Bergeron, he was getting stale and I am interested to see what Tyra does with this show.  

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I am interested to see what Tyra does with this show.  

We already know what she's going to do with the show.....make it all about her. This season's key art was released this morning.

Eg6P1pSUMAEn4UH?format=jpg&name=900x900

• LOL 8
  • Love 9
26 minutes ago, blackwing said:

I don't know some of these people, but I am interested to see AJ McLean, Chrishell Stause and Jeannie Mai.  I would think AJ can do just as well as Nick Carter did, although I've always thought Brian Littrell would do great on this show.

But Carole Baskin and Johnny Weir?  Ugh.  No thanks.

This quote from the USA Today article amuses me:

No controversy magnets?  What about Carole Baskin?  There's a good number of people who are convinced that she killed her first husband.

I don't mind that they dumped Tom Bergeron, he was getting stale and I am interested to see what Tyra does with this show.  

I think that AJ will definitely be making it to the finale.

• Love 3

That key art looks like a Top Model photo shoot that they spent too much time coming up with.  

At least Nelly has a decent enough catalog where he can dance to one of his songs every week if they decided to go that way, which is likely.  

But this is also pretty Netflix heavy, with 3 of them coming off some of their buzzy shows and I have proudly never watched.  I'm still confused as to how and why Tiger King became a THING. 

Based on this, I still think AJ (and the ONLY reason I'm watching this season) can win this, but figure skaters normally do well so as much as I can't take Johnny Weir, I expect him to challenge.  It's not the worst cast ever, but here's hoping the dead weight are actually the first to go this time. 

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

We already know what she's going to do with the show.....make it all about her. This season's key art was released this morning.

Eg6P1pSUMAEn4UH?format=jpg&name=900x900

12 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

That key art looks like a Top Model photo shoot that they spent too much time coming up with.  

At least Nelly has a decent enough catalog where he can dance to one of his songs every week if they decided to go that way, which is likely.  

But this is also pretty Netflix heavy, with 3 of them coming off some of their buzzy shows and I have proudly never watched.  I'm still confused as to how and why Tiger King became a THING. 

Based on this, I still think AJ (and the ONLY reason I'm watching this season) can win this, but figure skaters normally do well so as much as I can't take Johnny Weir, I expect him to challenge.  It's not the worst cast ever, but here's hoping the dead weight are actually the first to go this time. 

It will be an interesting season.

• Love 1

I guess I'm in the minority. I love Johnny Weir and that is the only reason I'd watch. He is a very graceful skater, so should be a good dancer.

Most of those people, I've never heard of, but I'd like to see AJ as well. He should have some good dances. Let's see how it goes.

Is this the oldest cast they ever had? The only youngster is Skai Jackson. I remember her from that show my son used to watch. She is cute.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 4

I just saw the "celebrity" lineup for this season.  No thanks.  C and D list contestants, no audience and the shabby treatment of Tom and Erin make this the first season of DWTS that I will have missed.  Who knows if there will even be a full season. If there's even a small Covid outbreak whatever will they do?

• Love 5

There will be 15 contestants this year.  That is the greatest number since 2009: each season since then has had 13 or less.  I wouldn't have guessed this would be the time to scale up.

I think this lineup is no lower- or higher- profile than usual.  Many of the names mean nothing to me, but they often don't going in, and I don't mind it.  I don't expect Justina Machado to go far, but I've been charmed by her on a couple of the game shows with celebrity players and several of my friends love "One Day at a Time," so I wish her well.  I like the idea of Johnny Weir more perhaps than the man himself, but I think he could do well, as Adam Rippon did.  Nev from Catfish is terrifically obnoxious IMO, but not really a bad guy.  (EDIT: He was a dance major at Sarah Lawrence but was expelled after punching another student in the head repeatedly.  His excuse is that he mistook her for a man.  So I take that back.)  We'll see.

Obviously I am following the announcements despite my past naysaying.  I'll peek at a few clips on YouTube to see how they're handling things.  But I don't think I'll be really watching.  It was must-see TV for me until season 20, and since then I've been watching a bit here and there and following the discussion, sort of peeking out threw my fingers.  I do think the show has run its course.  Thank goodness for Strictly, the UK version, which still has what made DWTS so wonderful for me in its day.

Edited by 853fisher
Nev
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I guess I'm in the minority. I love Johnny Weir and that is the only reason I'd watch. He is a very graceful skater, so should be a good dancer.

Most of those people, I've never heard of, but I'd like to see AJ as well. He should have some good dances. Let's see how it goes.

Is this the oldest cast they ever had? The only youngster is Skai Jackson. I remember her from that show my son used to watch. She is cute.

I'll be watching to see Johnny Weir and AJ.  I really don't know a lot of the people but that happens every season since I don't watch Netflix type shows.  If Skai Jackson is a Disney star, she might be a good dancer since they usually get triple threats.

• Love 5
36 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

If Skai Jackson is a Disney star, she might be a good dancer since they usually get triple threats.

In her Disney shows, she did a little dancing but not enough to show her skills. Her costar, who died too young. Cameron Boyce was a fantastic dancer. I was surprised he was never on the show. He would've been a ringer. 

I'm kind of mixed. I don't really care for anyone in the cast. I'll miss Tom and Erin. The ads just make Tyra look self-absorbed and irritating. I'm just sadly thinking of the jokes Tom could've done about the Tiger King. 

• Love 5

Ok on one side there's no Tom.

on another Artem is back, and i'm actually interested in AJ and Johnny Weir (especially like I posted in general thread if we get an MM pairing)

it's tough to decide... I might tune in on hulu the night after, definitely won't be rushing to my tv to watch it live or anything.

• Love 3

I despise this show often.  Having a Palin on was bad enough, but now a possible murderer?  I get that she gets the presumption of innocence from a legal standpoint, but CASTING her is all about exploiting that status.

• Love 10
37 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

I'm kind of mixed. I don't really care for anyone in the cast. I'll miss Tom and Erin. The ads just make Tyra look self-absorbed and irritating. I'm just sadly thinking of the jokes Tom could've done about the Tiger King. 

Tyra Banks is a trade down automatically.  It was true on AGT too.  She's unlikeable, unrelatable, and only amusing in certain targeted circumstances.  I DO think that putting a woman of color in was a good move, but she's the worst possible choice among that grouping.  Someone genuine, and amusing, like Niecy Nash would have been my choice.  She's also LGBTQ+, so there's a bonus (even if it wouldn't have been the point of it). And being a show alumnus would also have helped ease her way in.

Or they could have stayed inside the existing ABC Family and asked Tracee Ellis Ross. She's not my favorite, but I think she'd have done a credible job. I mean, unless they actually think shooting of her sitcom is actually going to be happening.  I don't have a clue on that.

I've got to say I won't miss Erin. I believe I'm in the minority on that.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I've got to say I won't miss Erin. I believe I'm in the minority on that.

I won't actively miss her, although I don't think she's what needed fixing either.  Perhaps I'm just allergic to change, but I still like Samantha best of the co-hosts.  Brooke and Erin were both fine, but not great.  All knew when to throw to Tom.

• Love 6
36 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I won't actively miss her, although I don't think she's what needed fixing either.  Perhaps I'm just allergic to change, but I still like Samantha best of the co-hosts.  Brooke and Erin were both fine, but not great.  All knew when to throw to Tom.

I always liked the way Brooke approached it. I didn't hate Samantha though.  Erin was the first co-host who just totally turned me off.

Ultimately it's true NONE of them mattered when you had someone as rock solid as Tom in the main position.  Literally the best live host on TV, no exceptions.  

• Love 9
1 hour ago, babyhouseman said:

If Tom and Erin were smart, they'd start up a weekly podcast and just mock the hell out of the show.

• LOL 10
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, Toonces464 said:

If Tom and Erin were smart, they'd start up a weekly podcast and just mock the hell out of the show.

I'm supposing a non-disparagement clause is likely in any ABC contract. 

• Love 3

Apparently they've given Kaitlyn to Artem?? Wow, for the first time in about six years since he became a pro they've actually given him a proper ringer and that after firing him last season! I was certain they'd bring him back just to lump him with Anne or Carole Baskin. Maybe Tyra is good for something after all! I hope they win, don't think they will though, Johnny Weir or the Backstreet boy will.

Edited by Emily-D
18 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Tom and Erin have too much class to mock the show. It would be funny, but it won't happen.

Has anyone checked out the DWTS Facebook page? Ouch.

Do you mean that ridiculous video with Tyra smizing, posing, and not being witty or entertaining in the least?

• Love 3