Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Uke said:

IIRC Nancy was "proclaimed" snooty by the media covering the Disney parade.  She herself said she felt embarrassed having this parade and being the center of attention.  She was tired and just wanted to go home, made a non-pc comment on a hot mic and has forever since been lambasted for it.

It's kind of become a thing for famous people to say (with cheesy fake enthusiasm) "I'm going to Disneyland" after completing some athletic accomplishment and some announcer asks "what's next for you".  It's like they are being encouraged/arm-twisted into participating in a Disney commercial.  

Also, please correct me if I'm under the wrong impression but wasn't I Tonya just theatrical point-of-view and not a documentary?  I don't even think it was categorized as a docu-drama.

It was definitely billed as a "black comedy", maybe if I were less of a skating purist and less knit-picky about the details that were inaccurate, I would have liked it more.

Yes, I seem to remember Nancy doing the Disneyland commercial (but that since she ended up getting silver rather than gold, it was "Nancy Kerrigan, you just won the hearts of America. What are you going to do now?" and the "I'm going to Disneyland!"). Nancy had a big contract with Disney at the time.  She also got criticized for making some comments while waiting for medal ceremony at the Olympics.  It was the typical cycle of backlash after hero worship. I still see the comments in context and give her a lot of credit. She could honestly have been a lot more bitter than she was, but it seems like she's moved on.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Uke,

Tonya apologized on a special called "Breaking the Ice." It was a pretty long video, but you can find it on You Tube. I'm not sure exactly where the apology was, but pretty sure that was the program.

I'm of the opinion that she apologized because she got caught and not really because she was sorry.

Ahhh thanks!  

You know, it really puzzles me.  She has been so resistant to saying I'm sorry.  But having said it once in an interview, why not just say "I have apologized and I'm still truly sorry but it's time for me to move on" or something like that.  It's such an issue for her, certainly she'd remember and once you've broken through that wall, what's the big deal...or why is she making it a big deal.  I don't know how many have said it just here, nevermind the whole DWTS audience, myself included, if only she'd apologize THEN I could support her. I don't get it!

Now...off to look for Breaking the Ice video. Thanks again.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Uke said:

Now...off to look for Breaking the Ice video. Thanks again.

Uke, I don't have the link handy, but the user "genuinecap" has the Tonya section of Breaking the Ice in four parts.  It was part of a larger program looking back at the ladies of the '94 Olympics.  I believe the Nancy/Tonya face-to-face is part three. 

DWTS will run 2 seasons in the fall.  A 10 week DWTS Juniors will broadcast on Sunday and the regular show on Mondays.  Juniors will be a 60 minute pre taped show.  This has viewwer burnout written all over it especially since so many already aren't keen on a Junior edition  

DWTS fall

• Love 4
1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

Uke,

Tonya apologized on a special called "Breaking the Ice." It was a pretty long video, but you can find it on You Tube. I'm not sure exactly where the apology was, but pretty sure that was the program.

I'm of the opinion that she apologized because she got caught and not really because she was sorry.

I'm of the opinion that it wasn't a real apology.  I watched Breaking the Ice recently, to see if I was remembering it correctly and/or if I would have a different opinion on it 20 years down the road.   

What Tonya said was:  "Nancy, I want to apologize, again, for being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, around the wrong people."

No acknowledgment that she, herself, did anything wrong; no true remorse and/or sympathy for what Nancy went through; no second-hand display of embarrassment, guilt or sorrow for what her ex-husband did, in her name. 

Interestingly, and I'd forgotten this part; but right after that, she says to Nancy:  "If I would've known anything, you know, in the...in the beginning, I would have done anything I could to stop it.  Anything.  I mean I would have dropped everything I had, in my whole life, to get that.  I mean that with all my heart.  I really do."

After I watched this again, I watched ABC's Truth & Lies:  The Tonya Harding Story from January of this year.  That's available for viewing on ABC's website, under News Specials.  During one of the previews of that program/interview, Tonya says:  "I knew something was up."  Then, towards the end of the program, during the interview part (it's a long program, about an hour and twenty minutes), Amy Robach makes a rhetorical statement about the attack, and Tonya says:  "I did, however, overhear them talking about stuff where, 'Well, maybe we should take somebody out, so we can make sure she gets on the team'; and I remember telling them, I go, 'What the hell are you talking about--I can skate'.  This was like a month or two months before.  But they were talking about skating, and saying 'Well, maybe somebody should be taken out so then, you know, she can make it.'"  

She says this so blithely; as though she hasn't been saying the complete opposite for 24 years, that I had to play it back three times.  No hint of shame, no apologizing for lying all this time about having some prior knowledge...simply unbelievable.  

Less than half a minute later, Amy Robach asks her something about the timing of when she realized or suspected Gillooly; and Tonya stammers a bit...I think she realized her mistake in making that admission.

There's also discussion of Oksana winning the gold at the Olympics and Nancy's comment while waiting for the medal ceremony.  Tonya says Nancy "...needed to quit whining."  Her sneering criticism of Nancy, for that one minor comment, 24 years down the road, speaks volumes of Tonya's mindset on Nancy, even now.  She's making a good acting performance on DWTS, but, IMO, that's all it is, a performance.  For the real Tonya, watch Truth & Lies.  

• Love 13
(edited)
2 hours ago, Legalgirl82 said:

Uke, I don't have the link handy, but the user "genuinecap" has the Tonya section of Breaking the Ice in four parts.  It was part of a larger program looking back at the ladies of the '94 Olympics.  I believe the Nancy/Tonya face-to-face is part three. 

Here's the link:

98 Breaking the Ice Part 1-Tonya Harding

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXGFzvbxZCE

On the right side of the screen you'll see parts 2-3-4 or just click on genuinecap 's name to see all that person's videos.  Looks to be about 30 minutes total.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Legalgirl82 said:

I'm of the opinion that it wasn't a real apology.  I watched Breaking the Ice recently, to see if I was remembering it correctly and/or if I would have a different opinion on it 20 years down the road.   

What Tonya said was:  "Nancy, I want to apologize, again, for being in the wrong place, at the wrong time, around the wrong people."

No acknowledgment that she, herself, did anything wrong; no true remorse and/or sympathy for what Nancy went through; no second-hand display of embarrassment, guilt or sorrow for what her ex-husband did, in her name. 

Interestingly, and I'd forgotten this part; but right after that, she says to Nancy:  "If I would've known anything, you know, in the...in the beginning, I would have done anything I could to stop it.  Anything.  I mean I would have dropped everything I had, in my whole life, to get that.  I mean that with all my heart.  I really do."

After I watched this again, I watched ABC's Truth & Lies:  The Tonya Harding Story from January of this year.  That's available for viewing on ABC's website, under News Specials.  During one of the previews of that program/interview, Tonya says:  "I knew something was up."  Then, towards the end of the program, during the interview part (it's a long program, about an hour and twenty minutes), Amy Robach makes a rhetorical statement about the attack, and Tonya says:  "I did, however, overhear them talking about stuff where, 'Well, maybe we should take somebody out, so we can make sure she gets on the team'; and I remember telling them, I go, 'What the hell are you talking about--I can skate'.  This was like a month or two months before.  But they were talking about skating, and saying 'Well, maybe somebody should be taken out so then, you know, she can make it.'"  

She says this so blithely; as though she hasn't been saying the complete opposite for 24 years, that I had to play it back three times.  No hint of shame, no apologizing for lying all this time about having some prior knowledge...simply unbelievable.  

Less than half a minute later, Amy Robach asks her something about the timing of when she realized or suspected Gillooly; and Tonya stammers a bit...I think she realized her mistake in making that admission.

There's also discussion of Oksana winning the gold at the Olympics and Nancy's comment while waiting for the medal ceremony.  Tonya says Nancy "...needed to quit whining."  Her sneering criticism of Nancy, for that one minor comment, 24 years down the road, speaks volumes of Tonya's mindset on Nancy, even now.  She's making a good acting performance on DWTS, but, IMO, that's all it is, a performance.  For the real Tonya, watch Truth & Lies.  

Ah, thanks for the recap. I did watch that years ago, and I remember thinking about what a liar Tonya was. I was an avid figure skating fan, so I followed her and Nancy quite a bit. I remember how poor little Tonya used to complain about her father being absent as well. Now all of a sudden, he is some sort of saint. She was a liar then and a liar now.

• Love 5
(edited)

Tonya was part of the attack and still lies about her part in it.  She places herself squarely in a victim position.  Nancy is not a warm person and has been reported to be a bitch.  This has NOTHING to do with Tonya's participation in the plan to break her knee cap.  And yes, that was NOT an apology.  

I am in favor of redeeming oneself but that involves taking responsibility, showing remorse and living your life in a way that presents as having changed.  

Edited by Wings
  • Love 8

You know, I would actually LOVE a good redemption story. What I don't want is someone like Harding or Lochte or Paula Deen, someone who got caught doing wrong and is only using dwts to rehab their image. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, pally said:

DWTS will run 2 seasons in the fall.  A 10 week DWTS Juniors will broadcast on Sunday and the regular show on Mondays.  Juniors will be a 60 minute pre taped show.  This has viewwer burnout written all over it especially since so many already aren't keen on a Junior edition  

DWTS fall

I wish they would've used that hour to bring back the results show instead. But that being said, I don't think there will be burnout because I'm not sure the core DWTS audience will watch Juniors.

• Love 4

I guess Im looking at Tonya through rose colored glasses and being a bit naive but I honestly feel like she is doing the show for herself. I think she needed this show to help her and it has nothing to do with exposure.  If she wanted exposure she got that with her movie. I think her being out their on the dancefloor makes her feels good, its give her feeling of being back on the ice.

Look, Tonya is flawed and she was apart of a very ugly situation. I wasnt there so I dont know all the details, so im willing look at her past as her past and just focus on who she is today. Who knows maybe this show will give her different perspectative on things and she want play the victim card and actually give Nancy an authentic apology if indeed she didnt do it the first time.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I wish they would've used that hour to bring back the results show instead. But that being said, I don't think there will be burnout because I'm not sure the core DWTS audience will watch Juniors.

Or they could have just forgone this ridiculous abbreviated season and made the four week show the Juniors version. It could have been a test run to see how viewers responded, rather than wasting the Pros and the athletes time with this season on speed.

• Love 6
On 5/15/2018 at 11:45 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Sundays will be DWTS: Junior until American Idol comes back (Juniors will only be an hour, though).

aghhh, I thought they had come to their senses and decided against this ghastly idea!

19 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

I'm probably not a core DWTS audience member since I generally only watch the dances, packages, and scores (little if any of the critiques and only rarely the interview) of the celebs that I like and whomever is (was) dancing with Mark.  But regardless I will NOT watch Juniors not even in ff mode.

• Love 2

Did I read somewhere that this Junior’s show will be the kids of celebrities?  Just what I don’t want to see——-the rich, overindulged spawn of C list celebrities.  ABC is grasping at straws to save a very dying franchise.  

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/10/2018 at 2:58 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

I quit this show long, long ago and only tuned in this time because it’s short and a new theme, so figured I’d give it another chance.  And Adam and Tonya sounded interesting.  

Not much is new.  I miss the Houghs.  I won’t be back in fall, I don’t think.  

Actually, I won't even be back past episode 2 of this season, now that I see here that they put Tonya through to the finals.  It just feels like a desperate ratings stunt.

What's next, Harvey Weinstein?  And they give him the same courtesy they're giving Tonya by not even mentioning the things he's accused of, just letting him complain about being at the top of his field and having it taken away?  Throw in Matt Lauer, Bill Cosby, R Kelly, Louis CK and Kevin Spacey.  Make it all-stars.  

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Actually, I won't even be back past episode 2 of this season, now that I see here that they put Tonya through to the finals.  It just feels like a desperate ratings stunt.

What's next, Harvey Weinstein?  And they give him the same courtesy they're giving Tonya by not even mentioning the things he's accused of, just letting him complain about being at the top of his field and having it taken away?  Throw in Matt Lauer, Bill Cosby, R Kelly, Louis CK and Kevin Spacey.  Make it all-stars.  

And then they can give Harvey all 9s for walking around and severely limit voting so he gets in the finals. Why not just cut off the entire west coast so he waltzes in.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Did I read somewhere that this Junior’s show will be the kids of celebrities?  Just what I don’t want to see——-the rich, overindulged spawn of C list celebrities.  ABC is grasping at straws to save a very dying franchise.  

I don't think the franchise is dying. I think all the random attempts to change things up is what's killing it. If it ain't broke..........

• Love 7
(edited)
22 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I'm out.  My interest started waning when they brought in Erin and her loud mouth and she started overpowering Tom.  I really only watch for Tom.  Also when they started taking crossovers from sytycd and doing dances other than ballroom.

2 hours ago, Thadeeeyus said:

why can't I delete this box ?  

Edited by Thadeeeyus
  • Love 5

So according to Pure DWTS, you can vote live next week if you live in the eastern or central time zones. So, if you're on the west coast, you're shit outta luck again. 

Adam gets a jazz in the final week? And a freestyle? I like him, but how disappointing that he didn't get a tango or samba. Come to think of it, did anyone get one?

It doesn't even sound like the final is worth watching.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

So according to Pure DWTS, you can vote live next week if you live in the eastern or central time zones. So, if you're on the west coast, you're shit outta luck again. 

Adam gets a jazz in the final week? And a freestyle? I like him, but how disappointing that he didn't get a tango or samba. Come to think of it, did anyone get one?

It doesn't even sound like the final is worth watching.

How disappointing in such a short season that the winner was known before the show even started.

• Love 3

Does the voting website allow the west coast to blind vote (vote for your favorite before the west coast broadcast)? People on the west coast can see clips of the dances posted on twitter and then vote or just vote first, watch later. I hate live voting, way to alienate a portion of the audience.

This season is continual bad decision making. IDK if the new showrunner is using this as a practice season, if dwts was dealt a bad hand because of American Idol, or if this is how things are now.  I hope they get it together for the fall season. There are a few people this season I would like to see invited back for a redemption season.

• Love 2
(edited)

Wait, so in a 4 week season Adam got contemporary, jazz on top of a freestyle? I know we just have to accept that those styles are a regular part of the show at this point but in a four week season it should be one or the other, and not both.  Adam has barely done any ballroom and will win despite learning more than 3 dances.  Right show.

Also DWTS juniors is likely to feature young pros who are relatives of our current pros.  I don't know who made it, but amongst those who auditioned were Lindsay's sister and Jenna's niece.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 8
On 5/15/2018 at 9:54 AM, boyznkatz said:

I didn't want Paula Deen or Lochte on the show, either. There are plenty of decent folks out there. Why do they keep getting thugs and criminals and racists? No wonder their ratings keep dropping. The show was a lot better when people like Jerry Springer were there for controversy.

It blew my mind when they had paula  and Lochte on because what they did was still so fresh, I mean we all saw what happen to Lochte being almost attacked by some protestors, I just think its dangerous to have someone that controversial on so soon after what they did. Atleast with Tonya her incident was years ago, gives some time to process everything or either forget to the point u just dont care anymore.

On 5/15/2018 at 5:13 PM, boyznkatz said:

Ah, thanks for the recap. I did watch that years ago, and I remember thinking about what a liar Tonya was. I was an avid figure skating fan, so I followed her and Nancy quite a bit. I remember how poor little Tonya used to complain about her father being absent as well. Now all of a sudden, he is some sort of saint. She was a liar then and a liar now.

I noticed she neglected to include in her MVP package this week that she was, in fact, estranged from her father for ten months before he passed away.  See at about the nine minute mark in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkAHFkWVnc 

• Love 2
On 5/17/2018 at 10:45 PM, birkenstock said:

Does the voting website allow the west coast to blind vote (vote for your favorite before the west coast broadcast)? People on the west coast can see clips of the dances posted on twitter and then vote or just vote first, watch later. I hate live voting, way to alienate a portion of the audience.

This season is continual bad decision making. IDK if the new showrunner is using this as a practice season, if dwts was dealt a bad hand because of American Idol, or if this is how things are now.  I hope they get it together for the fall season. There are a few people this season I would like to see invited back for a redemption season.

Yes, it does allow you to vote blindly.  I did it both the first and third weeks.  It takes a little coordination with social media to know when to vote.  I doubt many people did it since it was not promoted, also most of us are probably still at work or in the process of commuting home during the east coast broadcast.  So in effect, west coast was shut out of this disappointing season.  Disappointing because of it's brief duration.  As many people have said, there was no time to watch for improvement or development.  It has been a simple popularity contest and it's over in a blink of an eye.  I will go back to not watching after Monday (and I hope it is not Tonya to walk away with the Mirrorball Trophy).

• Love 2
On 5/17/2018 at 4:07 PM, Toonces464 said:

How disappointing in such a short season that the winner was known before the show even started.

So you think they decided on Adam before they knew he would be as good as he is?  This doesn’t seem likely, what is to be gained? 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Wings said:

So you think they decided on Adam before they knew he would be as good as he is?  This doesn’t seem likely, what is to be gained? 

It wasn't exactly a stretch to know the minute they signed him he was going to win.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Toonces464 said:

It wasn't exactly a stretch to know the minute they signed him he was going to win.

They also have approximately 3 weeks of rehearsal footage before the season even starts to assess each contestant.

• Love 1
On 5/19/2018 at 10:26 AM, Legalgirl82 said:

I noticed she neglected to include in her MVP package this week that she was, in fact, estranged from her father for ten months before he passed away.  See at about the nine minute mark in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPkAHFkWVnc 

She didn't seem to have much of a relationship with him when she was skating either. Now she is throwing her mother under the bus. How convenient.

• Love 1
On 5/20/2018 at 4:07 AM, Wings said:

I'm pretty sure they are going to announce that he is going on their next tour. 

On 5/20/2018 at 10:53 AM, Toonces464 said:

How would they know that the older conservative viewers would accept an openly gay winner?  This is the same audience that put Candace Cameron-Bure and Bristol to the finals even though they were not good dancers.  I am hoping that you are right and Adam wins.  At least, a new pro will be a MirrorBall Champion since all three of them have never won. 

• Love 2

I must say I'm a little surprised that Adam being gay doesn't seem to be that much of an issue with voters. I'm sure there are a few people who won't vote for him because of that, but it doesn't seem to be many. I would be very surprised if he didn't win. I would be happy with that, or a Josh win (I'm not a fan of Sharna's dancing but she deserves to win a season).

I'm pretty much in the "anyone but Tonya" camp.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, realdancemom said:

How would they know that the older conservative viewers would accept an openly gay winner?  This is the same audience that put Candace Cameron-Bure and Bristol to the finals even though they were not good dancers.  I am hoping that you are right and Adam wins.  At least, a new pro will be a MirrorBall Champion since all three of them have never won. 

Because it's a 4 week season and a 4 week season is very different from a normal 11-12 week season.  4 weeks allowed no time for anybody to get to know any new celebs or have any connection to them so audiences are going to stick to the names/personalities they know and in that case Adam came in way ahead of everyone else current famewise--besides Tonya and her reason for being known was more infamous than anything.  So what other options are there for a win?  A football player we haven't gotten a chance to know and/or who hasn't gotten a chance to build a fanbase.  Mirai could dance but people harped on her personality.  Witney's partner is another that needed a full season and an improvement arc for a real chance at anything.  Who else is left?  Kareem is a legend but older and was never going to be a contender.  Most of the other female celebs have been interchangeable, again thanks to a shortened 4 week season.  So if not Adam, then who else?  Tonya is literally the only other possibility.  Also nobody was surprised by Adam being good, though I wouldn't exactly put him on the list of best ever male celebs.  Especially in a shortened season that only asked him to learn 3 ballroom dances.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I must say I'm a little surprised that Adam being gay doesn't seem to be that much of an issue with voters

I think because surprisingly they havent been leaning on the fact he is gay in every episode. I think its pretty much a given and they r not making that his story. Tbh, I dont think he has a story, he just can dance and thats it. He is another Jordan, not story but can dance really good with good choreography and that is how he will win and of course with the major push of tptb.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, vdw84 said:

I think because surprisingly they havent been leaning on the fact he is gay in every episode. I think its pretty much a given and they r not making that his story. Tbh, I dont think he has a story, he just can dance and thats it. He is another Jordan, not story but can dance really good with good choreography and that is how he will win and of course with the major push of tptb.

Jordan was a much better dancer than Adam.  Understandably since Jordan was a trained dancer to some degree, but I see zero comparisons between Adam and Jordan.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, spanana said:

Also nobody was surprised by Adam being good, though I wouldn't exactly put him on the list of best ever male celebs.  Especially in a shortened season that only asked him to learn 3 ballroom dances.

3 Ballroom dances? I count 2. 

Cha Cha-week 1

Quickstep-week 2

Contemporary-week 3

Jazz-week 4

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Uke said:

3 Ballroom dances? I count 2. 

Cha Cha-week 1

Quickstep-week 2

Contemporary-week 3

Jazz-week 4

I was being generous and counting the jive dance-off thingy last week that wasn't even a full dance.

37 minutes ago, spanana said:

I was being generous and counting the jive dance-off thingy last week that wasn't even a full dance.

Ahhh thanks! I saw someone in the other thread also mention 3 dances and I was trying to figure out what did I miss. Yes, he did a little jive in the dance-off. Totally forgot about that.

9 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

I must say I'm a little surprised that Adam being gay doesn't seem to be that much of an issue with voters.

5 hours ago, vdw84 said:

I'm glad they didn't make it a big part of his DWTS participation although it's definitely an important part of his story.  I don't normally watch this show so I'm assuming it was simply due to a lack of time.  The brief 4 episodes didn't allow for us to learn much about the athletes.  Maybe it was for the better in his case (and in Tonya's but for other reasons).  I recently read an article discussing how no openly out LGBTQ contestants have ever won a reality show requiring voter participation.  Adam may be the first, which makes me even more happy for him.  

• Love 3
20 hours ago, EsEmi said:

I'm glad they didn't make it a big part of his DWTS participation although it's definitely an important part of his story.  I don't normally watch this show so I'm assuming it was simply due to a lack of time.  The brief 4 episodes didn't allow for us to learn much about the athletes.  Maybe it was for the better in his case (and in Tonya's but for other reasons).  I recently read an article discussing how no openly out LGBTQ contestants have ever won a reality show requiring voter participation.  Adam may be the first, which makes me even more happy for him.  

I believe Nyle DiMarco (S22) was openly out on a previous reality show he won (fashion or modeling or something) but he chose to keep it quiet while on DWTS.

12 hours ago, Uke said:

I believe Nyle DiMarco (S22) was openly out on a previous reality show he won (fashion or modeling or something) but he chose to keep it quiet while on DWTS.

Nyle was in America's Next Top Model.  I haven't watched that show in ages.  If I remember correctly and if it hasn't changed, there is no public voting participation to decide who goes home.  So there would be no need to hide in that show. 

• Love 1

I just have to say that I'm glad they just made Adam part of DWTS and not focusing on his sexuality. I kind of think in a perfect world, that's how it should be. Nobody's sexuality is any of my business or any body's. As long as no one is humping anything on my tv, I don't care. I'm getting old, I don't want to watch anyone having sex with anyone, implication is enough and then only in some sort of fictional story, not on a reality show.

Now, for someone who was having problems eliminating the quote box, I had this problem a few months ago in some thread. Finally with some help from a kind stranger, I figured it out, so I'll give up what I learned. Hover your cursor over the box, in the upper left corner is an "+", center your cursor on the "+", hold the control key and right click. That will bring up a menu, one of the items is remove quote box.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Now, for someone who was having problems eliminating the quote box, I had this problem a few months ago in some thread. Finally with some help from a kind stranger, I figured it out, so I'll give up what I learned. Hover your cursor over the box, in the upper left corner is an "+", center your cursor on the "+", hold the control key and right click. That will bring up a menu, one of the items is remove quote box.

I never knew that. Thanks for sharing!

• Love 1
On 6/2/2018 at 7:49 PM, friendperidot said:

I just have to say that I'm glad they just made Adam part of DWTS and not focusing on his sexuality. I kind of think in a perfect world, that's how it should be. Nobody's sexuality is any of my business or any body's. As long as no one is humping anything on my tv, I don't care. I'm getting old, I don't want to watch anyone having sex with anyone, implication is enough and then only in some sort of fictional story, not on a reality show.

I agree with your first paragraph.  Also, thanks for the second paragraph.  I was having problems deleting a quote box and I didn't know that.  Thanks for the tip.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/2/2018 at 6:49 PM, friendperidot said:

The problem is that we DON'T live in a perfect world. In a world where legal discrimination against members of the LGBT community still runs rampant, it's vital that we continue to have representation so that people see us for what we really are and that there is simply no basis for the prejudice and bigotry that fuel that discrimination and persecution, because we're really no different than our straight brothers and sisters.  That's why I applauded the Italian DWTS for having a male same-sex couple this year and why I think Adam should have been able to have a male partner if he wanted one.  That's the only way to make the point.  If you yourself have never experienced that kind of discrimination and persecution, you simply won't understand why allowing Adam to be himself is still huge for us.  There's a reason we still celebrate Pride Month every June, and it has nothing to do with "having sex" or "humping someone on TV."  It has to do with enjoying the same respect, rights and privileges that straight cis-gendered people have always taken for granted.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 3

As a white, middle age, middle class, cis woman, I don't pretend to know what it's like to need representation. But I do think it's good when minorities of any type are portrayed as whole people and not just "the token gay guy" or "the token black chick". I do like that Adam wasn't portrayed as just his sexuality. I think it's a step in the right direction when you can say not just that, hey there's someone like me on TV, but that, hey there's someone like me on TV who is a whole person and not just a token.

• Love 4
(edited)
7 minutes ago, majormama said:

As a white, middle age, middle class, cis woman, I don't pretend to know what it's like to need representation. But I do think it's good when minorities of any type are portrayed as whole people and not just "the token gay guy" or "the token black chick". I do like that Adam wasn't portrayed as just his sexuality. I think it's a step in the right direction when you can say not just that, hey there's someone like me on TV, but that, hey there's someone like me on TV who is a whole person and not just a token.

But that's the point.  Being LGBT is part of the whole for an LGBT person.  No purpose can be served by minimizing or hiding that fact.  That said, I do agree that there's a difference (and often a very fine line) between being open and honest about being LGBT and being obnoxious and in-your-face about it.  The Italian same-sex couple (the pro half of whom, incidentally, was straight) handled the issue very well, in my opinion. The openly gay celebrity made a point of saying in interviews that he wanted to do the show with a male pro because he wanted to prove that dance transcends gender and gender stereotypes. As far as the show itself was concerned, however, I don't recall him really saying that much about his sexual orientation.  He preferred to let his dancing do the talking as far as that was concerned, and the viewers were happy enough with that expression that they voted that couple all the way through to the finals -- the first same-sex couple to ever make it to the finals on ANY version of DWTS!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

Right, a part of the whole that shouldn't be hidden. But I guess I didn't feel like it was hidden with Adam, just not a primary focus. YMMV, of course, and you definitely have a perspective I can't pretend to really understand, even though I hope I try. :)

• Love 2