Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, 853fisher said:

However, she's very me-me-me

Yeah, anytime I see Tyra I just keep thinking about that clip they always showed on "The Soup" where she's pointing to herself and going, "Me!" :p. 

I haven't seen any other shows she's hosted, so I can't comment on that part of things, but I do think she's an odd fit for a show like this. That being said....

49 minutes ago, vdw84 said:

I feel sorry for her because I just know she is setting herself up to be dragged all over the place by fans of the show. She is not going to be accepted easily at all. This is going to be disaster and that is what the show gets.

I also agree with this :/. She'll be blamed for any issues that happen with the show going forward, when they're a lot bigger than her, and that's not fair to her. 

• Love 6
(edited)

Personally, I've come to the conclusion that ABC just wants to end this show but its ratings in comparison to say Idol and even the Bachelor franchise, is pretty solid or along the same line. And so to avoid angry petitions from fans to not cancel it, they're doing everything to ensure the ratings go to complete shit, so when they do cancel it, they can comfortably say, "well the ratings didn't justify keeping it on anymore". Anyway, that's my conspiracy theory. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 4
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

I also agree with this :/. She'll be blamed for any issues that happen with the show going forward, when they're a lot bigger than her, and that's not fair to her. 

This is a given.  She's a seasoned celebrity by now, so you'd think she and her agent would realize this from the get go.  Any blame won't be fair to her, but this change is so outrageous that she must be able to see the crap coming.

• Love 2

I could understand if they replaced Erin with Tyra, but to get rid of Tom? I can't see the show surviving this move.

His gentle, light-hearted humor always kept the show from being too mean, even though it's competitive. 

DWTS with Tom Bergeron was a great show while it lasted.

• Love 20

If Tom and Erin only found out yesterday then that s*cks because it appears they had the Tyra announcement all set to go, with an Executive Producer credit to boot. Those negotiations don’t happen in several hours. 

• Love 11

As soon as I heard the Tyra thing (really don't know much about her), I thought, they are trying to make the show more like WOD.  WOD is so empty of content but super super glitzy.  I hate it, especially the scripts, but a lot of people really love it

• Love 1

I watched America's Next Top Model, and based on how bad Tyra was as an interviewer/host on that show, she will be terrible on DWTS.  She cannot do banter or off the cuff jokes, and thinks she's far more charming than I have ever found her to be.  After the Bobby Bones win and lackluster last couple of seasons, I was halfway out the door anyway.  Losing Tom and adding Tyra likely means losing me as a viewer.

• Love 8

WTF are they even doing anymore? I don't have anything against Tyra Banks, but what demographic are they even going for anymore? Tyra isn't exactly a spring chicken if they are looking for younger viewers, but I don't think she really appeals to fans of this show either. Why don't they just admit this is a show for old folks and plan accordingly? Tom was a perfect host for the demographic who watches the show. Even younger folks probably liked him. It looks like they have basically turned this show into self-promotion for Bachelor contestants and others they want to push. 

I agree with the others who said they should just do a spinoff show if they want to appeal to a different audience. They have just totally alienated any fans they had left by firing Tom. 

• Love 15
8 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Tom was a perfect host for the demographic who watches the show. Even younger folks probably liked him.

I'm in that coveted 18-49 demo (I'm 35) and I definitely liked him as host, for all the reasons people have been mentioning here :). 

• Love 17

Considering that multiple articles about Tyra's new co-hosting gig seem to include Tyra and/or the show patting themselves on the back for Tyra being the first black female host of DWTS, I feel compelled to tell them that isn't entirely true, haha - Lisa Canning co-hosted with Tom in the inaugural season.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 7

JMO - the Hosts aren't the problem - the Z-list celebrity dancers are the problem.

I don't think Tyra solves the ratings problem if they don't get better celebrities.  And yeah, if this crashes and burns, Tyra is on the hook.  

• Love 13
(edited)

I haven't watched the show in years but my very first thought upon reading the Tyra news this morning was "is Tyra even relevant anymore?"  Genuine question.  Is she?  And I really feel for you fans who have stuck with this show since Season One.  To go from the news of losing Tom yesterday to the Tyra news of today, this has to be a major punch to the gut.  More bizarre 2020 strangeness.

Ah, I just read the news about how she will be an executive producer, too.  Ok?  Lots of smizing soon to come then.

Edited by Cementhead
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8

I don't think it's right for a long time, successful person to be fired from a job just in the name of diversity, whether it be age, gender or color.  Hell, I'd be pissed big time if they got rid of Wayne Brady and replaced him with a woman MC.  Tom was NEVER the problem with this show.  The problem has been "has beens" being sold as celebrities.  For at least 8 or 9 seasons, the "stars" were not stars but just some flunkies posing as celebrities.  Spicer, Willis, Tucker Carlson, Bobby Bones, Palin and many others are not stars of anything except maybe in their own minds.  The show is long past its use by date and should have been cancelled long ago.  But we all know that these shows are very cheap to produce in relation to scripted series.  

• Love 10
52 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I don't think it's right for a long time, successful person to be fired from a job just in the name of diversity, whether it be age, gender or color.  Hell, I'd be pissed big time if they got rid of Wayne Brady and replaced him with a woman MC.  Tom was NEVER the problem with this show.  The problem has been "has beens" being sold as celebrities.  For at least 8 or 9 seasons, the "stars" were not stars but just some flunkies posing as celebrities.  Spicer, Willis, Tucker Carlson, Bobby Bones, Palin and many others are not stars of anything except maybe in their own minds.  The show is long past its use by date and should have been cancelled long ago.  But we all know that these shows are very cheap to produce in relation to scripted series.  

Tucker Carlson was on this show? LOL. It must have been a season I missed, and good, because I absolutely can't stand him. 

53 minutes ago, Fellaway said:

"Banks also teased that she expects to see "smizing" in the ballroom next season.

'I think there's something like a whip and smize ... we need to see who is going to be able to whip and size," she laughed."

Tyra Banks "Excited" to Be First Black Solo Female Host of DWTS

Oy.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "smizing?" So does "solo host" mean no co-host? 

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, Sile said:

"I guess I won't be getting back my monogrammed towels"

And then you have to think for a second...

Tom's response to the Tyra hire pretty much encapsulates everything I love about him and shows why he's basically irreplaceable.

He's the best.  So darn clever.  

• Love 14
42 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "smizing?" So does "solo host" mean no co-host? 

"Smizing" is a term Tyra coined on ANTM.  It means smiling with just your eyes.  Tyra is... fond of that kind of wordplay, so expect her to come up with some such for the world of dance.  It's just been waiting for Tyra to come along...

My interpretation is, yes, no co-host.  One way to save money.  I think saving money must've played big time into getting rid of Tom.  His salary must be a large line item in the budget.  Worth every penny, he was, though, and I think they'll find that out, too late.

• Useful 4
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Woodrose said:

I could understand if they replaced Erin with Tyra, but to get rid of Tom? I can't see the show surviving this move.

His gentle, light-hearted humor always kept the show from being too mean, even though it's competitive. 

DWTS with Tom Bergeron was a great show while it lasted.

Couldn't agree more!  After how mean the Bachelor franchise has become, it was comforting to watch a show that felt almost like family, despite its shortcomings.  I think we'll all have a lot more time on our hands on Monday nights, and very soon!  ABC is imploding.

• Love 10

I swore I'd never watch ABC again when they cancelled One Life to Live (and All My Children, even if I didn't watch it).  I gave in because I couldn't give up DWTS.   Now ABC pulls this crap.     I still watch Idol, but I don't like those judges, so Farewell ABC! 

• Love 4
(edited)

Nobody here watched America's Got Talent when Tyra was hosting? She was dreck-ful.

I heard a theory that DWTS TPTB want more political people on, like all the ex WH staffers. Tom was outspoken against Spicer. I'd say look for more controversial political figures, like Kellyanne Conway, Sarah Sanders, Moochie and more.

If they wanted more diversity, I would get rid of Bruno and CAI, replacing them with tWitch and Misty Copeland. And never, ever would I let Tom go. He's the star in DWTS.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Wayne Brady would have been a good choice.  

Tyra only lasted one  or two seasons  on AGT.  I’ve never had a problem with her but still liked it as Tom and Erin

• Love 2
On 7/14/2020 at 8:52 AM, nickp1991 said:

I wonder if part of the new creative direction is about diversity

That thought crossed my mind IMMEDIATELY! My thoughts.......I guess Tom and Erin are just too white.

As a loyal viewer of this show since the first season, I have not missed one episode. I'm done now and I really mean that!

• Love 5

I haven’t watched this show for seasons, but when I saw this on my newsfeed, I was broken hearted.  There is no way getting rid of Tom is going to help this show.  He was the glue that held everything together. 

• Love 15
(edited)

I definitely think diversity factored in and they probably felt like it was a perfect decision and time to avoid any backlash, no matter how much some viewers may grumble. Because I can see one of the suits making the decision saying, "are they going to come after us for replacing a white man with a woman of color in this social climate? Well what would that say about them". 

Really, on one level it's actually genius. The issue here though as another poster noted is that it's not like viewers hadn't been calling for more diversity on the show. But we wanted to see it reflected in the Pros, where 90 percent of the current pool are interchangeable blondes from Utah and a number of Russian guys. 

And hell, if they wanted to add diversity elsewhere, change up the judges - I would not miss Carrie Ann or Bruno. And if it was about diversity, again why not go with Alfonso for the host, much as he bugs the ever loving crap out of me. But many viewers do like him, he's already filled Tom's shoes taking over America's Funniest Home Videos and guest hosted when Tom was absent after his father passed away. 

But instead they bring on someone who barely lasted in her last hosting gig, who is very divisive with people - some people love her, some people really cannot freaking stand Tyra. Part of me is also wondering if Tyra was initially offered being a replacement to Erin and her ego and I guess an ace team that know how to negotiate, said "hell no" and it's solo host or nothing. Because it's interesting that she not only comes out of nowhere, essentially replacing both Tom and Erin, but ensures she gets herself an executive producer title. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14

This makes me think of that time Maks and I cant think of her name but it was Nick's wife from the group 98 degrees were partners and in one of their packages she was playing around with a fake mike and trying to act like a host and Maks called her out and said u know Tom isnt going anywhere? Its funny how somethin so playful yet felt very true ends up being direct opposite a couple of seasons later.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, vdw84 said:

Its funny how somethin so playful yet felt very true ends up being direct opposite a couple of seasons later.

It's like that with everything these days, isn't it?  Not just on this show, but everywhere and with everything.  Nothing makes any sense anymore.

• Love 3

I think I saw ANTM once or twice. Tyra was okay as a host. I think if TPTB were going for diversity, they could have replaced Erin with Tyra. No one would have complained about Erin being replaced, although she was okay as well and I didn't have a problem with her. 

I don't think they should have made Tyra the executive producer, though. The executive producer should be someone who has a background in ballroom dancing, which is the main attraction of this show no matter how much the producers think we want to watch people shimmy in bikinis. I was there for the ballroom gowns and the foxtrots and salsas. 

I might watch the first episode to see how it is, but it doesn't sound like it is going to be worth watching. I don't watch much TV besides this, and I'm not happy at all. 

• Love 5

I've seen speculation on a number of sites that Tom's salary may have had something to do with his firing as a means to help with the budget.  Have no idea what he was making, but what do you think Tyra is getting as host AND exec. producer?     

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Bliss said:

Tom is gone and so am I. He's the main reason I kept watching DWTS.

Same for me! I doubt I would have watched the new season anyway, but I will now definitely blame it on letting Tom go.  

• Love 9

http://www.justjared.com/2020/07/16/dwts-carrie-ann-inaba-reveals-fate-of-the-judges-reacts-to-tyra-banks-as-new-host/

I'm sorry but the Judges table is the one that seriously needed to be switched up- not the hosting gigs. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
19 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

Part of me is also wondering if Tyra was initially offered being a replacement to Erin and her ego and I guess an ace team that know how to negotiate, said "hell no" and it's solo host or nothing. Because it's interesting that she not only comes out of nowhere, essentially replacing both Tom and Erin, but ensures she gets herself an executive producer title. 

From what I read, they were in talks with her for awhile about becoming the EP. In my opinion, she took it and then ousted Tom and Erin to put herself in that role as the only host.

17 hours ago, vdw84 said:

This makes me think of that time Maks and I cant think of her name but it was Nick's wife from the group 98 degrees were partners and in one of their packages she was playing around with a fake mike and trying to act like a host and Maks called her out and said u know Tom isnt going anywhere? Its funny how somethin so playful yet felt very true ends up being direct opposite a couple of seasons later.

I thought about her too and thought it was funny that she was one of the first people to comment on Erin's post about it.

The problem now is that whether it was done on purpose or not, it comes across that they did this to be socially acceptable/BLM. It's phony. And it's not going to fly. I took some time today to read the comments on the DWTS and GMA IG accounts, as well as on the post Carrie Ann made about it. They're all negative. Not only that but the only pros I saw commenting were the ones who've been in danger themselves before -- Keo, Emma and Gleb. 

And let's not forget the real problem -- that they did not address ANY of the issues people have been complaining about for years. The judges are still there. They're the ones who should've been replaced. They're still signing"stars" who are not stars like this Bachelor chick. I have absolutely no doubt that the show will become much more manipulated as far as the drama, showmances and everything else they've ramped up. That's not going to ease up or go back to the organic way it was with Tyra Banks in charge. 

When they first signed this tool Andrew Llinares to be the showrunner I remember making a post that this was the beginning of the end. He only confirmed that for me when he signed Sean Spicer and unceremoniously dumped Sharna and Artem. I feel like all the previous showrunners would've fought for Tom (and for Erin) first and foremost. This isn't the same show anymore. And that's why I'm now officially done with it.

• Love 14
41 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:

The problem now is that whether it was done on purpose or not, it comes across that they did this to be socially acceptable/BLM. It's phony. And it's not going to fly. I took some time today to read the comments on the DWTS and GMA IG accounts, as well as on the post Carrie Ann made about it. They're all negative. Not only that but the only pros I saw commenting were the ones who've been in danger themselves before -- Keo, Emma and Gleb. 

Its just not a good look for everyone involved. Like u said whether this was planned way before the whole BLM thing its going to come off looking manipulative and phony because of the timing. I have mostly seen negative comments too on just about all sm platforms no matter if it twitter, instagram or youtube. Im scared to touch facebook because facebook can be brutal big time. Its what they deserve for doing things the wrong way. U dont use something as socially important as diversity to be controversial.

1 hour ago, DEL901 said:

They have talked about changes and I got the impression it was more than just a new host.   I shudder to think what other innovations they have in store. 

The hosts were never the problem. It was always about the judges and changing up the pros, making the pros more diverse esp. the women now that they seem to Brandon and Keo on the male side.

• Love 2

When it comes to the host, ABC was basically like, if it ain't broke, let's break it. 

I hope Tom knows how much he's loved and how pissed everyone is. Everyone I know who watches the show loves him, young and old, black and white, and all shades in between. Even folks were are conservatives and didn't like how Spicer was treated still think Tom was good at his job. 

• Love 14
26 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

When it comes to the host, ABC was basically like, if it ain't broke, let's break it. 

I hope Tom knows how much he's loved and how pissed everyone is. Everyone I know who watches the show loves him, young and old, black and white, and all shades in between. Even folks were are conservatives and didn't like how Spicer was treated still think Tom was good at his job. 

Alot of black people are upset about Tom being let go including myself. He was universally loved. I have always loved Tom as the host but what really did it for me was season 24 after Normani dance she did on racism she experienced and how he was so compassionate and caring toward her. From that moment on, he showed me the kinda person he was and that was an amazing man with a big heart and he didnt deserve the treatment he got from the show after being with the show for 15 years from the beginning, winning them an emmy and everything, its just wrong.

• Love 12

I just don't see how this makes sense.  Yes, let's fire the one person the audience seems to agree about: they love him.  Yes, we'll save sooooooo much money.  Sure, we may lose some viewers, but we'll gain diversity and youth.  Yes, that's the ticket!

Wait, what do you mean ratings are down and the advertisers are dropping out?

• Love 11