Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

Yeah, Alley was challenging, both personality-wise and with her physical limitations. I thought that was one of Maks' strongest seasons, really showing that he could hack it as a teacher and choreographer with a less than ideal partner.

• Love 1

I think Maks has an ego, but I do think he's telling the truth about a heavy bias in Derek's favor on this show. And I hate when they have Julianne at the judges' table because it's obvious she will say anything to give him the highest score she can. I like Derek's dancing ability, but I'd like him more if it wasn't so obvious how everything is manipulated in his favor.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

Were there complaints about Maks judging his brother, his best friend, and various exes when he guest  judged a couple of times?

Yes, actually. *grins* As well as about his personality, blah blah. Fewer comments about his hair and outfit than Julianne usually gets though. 

One thing I liked about Kirstie Alley was that I was pretty sure Max wouldn't slap her on the butt a la Brandy without getting his butt slapped in return.

10 minutes ago, superdeluxe said:

All this nonsense about Derek being favored and I just think back to the obvious, set up wins for Maks and Val.  Hell, you could probably throw Tony in there, too.

Tony's win wasn't a set up, IIRC. I believe he had someone else originally and Melissa was a last minute replacement when they pulled out, and she pushed the hell out of Tony. The others... like I said, TPTB are invested in keeping favorite dancers on as long as possible for better ratings. That said, I don't think they have absolute power in how a star is received or how they dance. I certainly think Paige probably did better than expected last season and Mischa much, much worse. 

Tony's win wasn't a set up, IIRC. I believe he had someone else originally and Melissa was a last minute replacement when they pulled out, and she pushed the hell out of Tony.

I think the comment was in reference to the All-Stars season. While I don't think there was a set up for Melissa to win, I do think they wanted a non-winner and once Gilles imploded all on his own, she became the favored one. I cannot lie, I honestly never saw the greatness of her dancing and was often baffled by the judges' tongue bathing but *shrug* it is what it is. 

18 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

James, James, James...what were y'all thinking????

Hinchcliffe's racing team nailed for cheating and are heavily sanctioned.

http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2016/08/31/hinchcliffe-team-docked-25-points-20000-for-domed-skid-wear-at-texas/

They do seem to have more cheaters, losers and druggies than usual this season. Laurie and Calvin Johnson should have a cakewalk to the final two. This season doesn't sound good at all!

• Love 1

Finally! Mark's news is out:

http://www.etonline.com/tv/197046_exclusive_why_mark_ballas_said_no_to_returning_to_dancing_with_the_stars/

"A source tells ET that the 30-year-old dancer is actually moving to New York City this month where he'll be living for a year, so that he can appear in a main role on Broadway's hit show Jersey Boys. The musical tells the behind-the-scenes story of Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons, the band responsible for such classics as "Sherry," "Big Girls Don't Cry" and "Walk Like a Man.""

So happy for him!

Edited by Uke
  • Love 6

Watching ET's interview with Derek and Marilu - she describes her "out-of-body" experience upon realizing Derek was her partner.  She says she had a second of being worried that she'd super-imposed Derek's head on someone else's body.  Who does ET put up in the graphic of Derek's head on someone else's body? Maks.  That is my point about the show kinda liking the black/white Fam/Hough divide.  It gives them an easy them vs. them narrative.

Dunno if this link will work:

Derek's head on Maks' body

US Magazine article for me was Derek admiting he destroyed tape of his partner freaking out

Sorry, I've flipped back and forth through this thread trying to find a link for this article and I've tried googling and not found it, can someone provide a link (again?).

4 hours ago, fpbl83 said:

Do you think the Derek dislike applies to Peta, her friend Sharna, and Val's girlfriend Jenna? Does Maks try to, in effect, brainwash them against him? I'm talking personal terms, not professional/competitive terms - as in "don't socialize with Derek if you don't have to"?

For some reason I'm fascinated by the personal, outside-of-work interactions between these people LOL.

I don't think there's any "war" going on - I think that's a fan groups construct.   Maks, Val and Derek have traded barbs in their own ways at times, Maks/Val overtly, Derek more shaded or passive/aggressive.  But I also think the opposing fan groups have a tendency to parse every word and every tweet.  

Maks/Val do read and react/respond to the tweets fans send to them.  I've never gotten the impression that Derek reads the tweets fans send to him.  He may glance at messages now and then, but I think he mainly just sends out messages - twitter isn't a 2-way communication for him, it's more of a 1-way promotional device.  

It's interesting that Derek is now becoming a little more social with the other pros, such as attending a party with them or going to the Maks/Val tour show.  Derek has always been known for pretty much keeping to himself, not associating with others at rehearsals, only going out to lunch with Mark and their 2 partners, for example.  Until recently, the only pro-related social events he'd attend were Mark's music shows and official DWTS parties such as Tom's mid-season parties or TPTB end of season parties.  I wonder if that might be because of Hayley's influence as she seems sociable with everyone. Or maybe because of Mark moving to NYC for Jersey Boys, or at least anticipated Mark making a big move, and Derek not wanting to be totally alone.  Small changes, baby steps I guess.

Crowceilidh:  I searched through google for the US Mag article and couldn't find it.  Apparently the print edition is on news stands as some seem to have already read it.  I'd guess it'll go online before next week's print edition hits news stands?  Hope so anyways. I'd like to read the story but I haven't bought an US or People in years.

Edited by Uke
  • Love 2

Mark Ballas to take the lead role of Frankie Valli in "Jersey Boys" on Broadway......

I'm so happy for Mark, but I'll miss seeing him every week.  And I had no idea Jersey Boys was closing.  If I hadn't seen the show fairly recently in NY,  I'd fly across the country to see him. 

On 9/5/2016 at 0:57 PM, Uke said:

Crowceilidh:  I searched through google for the US Mag article and couldn't find it.  Apparently the print edition is on news stands as some seem to have already read it.  I'd guess it'll go online before next week's print edition hits news stands?  Hope so anyways. I'd like to read the story but I haven't bought an US or People in years.

I saw something about this in People magazine.  Not sure which issue it was, because it was my sister's and I just happend to pick it up while visiting, but it was a group interview with Cheryl, Maks and Derek.  He didn't name the partner he was "shielding".

Edited by Sile

Song and dance list for the premiere: 

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2016/09/08/dancing-with-the-stars-season-23-premiere-song-dance-list-revealed/

Jake T. Austin & Jenna Johnson – Jive – “Kiss You” by One Direction
Kenny “Babyface” Edmonds & Allison Holker – Foxtrot – “Deed I Do” by Ray Charles
Marilu Henner & Derek Hough – Jive – “Can’t Stop Dancing” by Becky G
Laurie Hernandez & Val Chmerkovskiy – Cha Cha – “American Girl” by Bonnie McKee
James Hinchcliffe & Sharna Burgess – Foxtrot – “Live Life” by Zayde Wølf
Calvin Johnson Jr. & Lindsay Arnold – Cha Cha – “That’s What I Like” by Flo Rida feat. FitzLunchmoney
Terra Jolé & Sasha Farber – Jive – “Stuff Like That There” by Betty Hutton
Jana Kramer & Gleb Savchenko – Viennese Waltz – “Dangerous Woman” by Ariana Grande
Ryan Lochte & Cheryl Burke – Foxtrot – “Call Me Irresponsible” by Michael Bublé
Maureen McCormick & Artem Chigvintsev – Viennese Waltz – “You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman” by Mary J. Blige
Rick Perry & Emma Slater – Cha Cha – “God Blessed Texas” by Little Texas
Amber Rose & Maksim Chmerkovskiy – Foxtrot – “Here” by Alessia Cara
Vanilla Ice (Robert Van Winkle) & Witney Carson – Cha Cha – “Ice Ice Baby” by Vanilla Ice

Oh Ryan.

• Love 4

Kind of early for Vanilla Ice to be pulling out Ice Ice Baby, isn't it? That must mean someone didn't think he'll make it to at least week four or so when they do most memorable year week. That's when Nick Carter brought out Everybody (Backstreet's Back) and Alfonso brought back the Carlton, at least. 

• Love 2

I wouldn't be surprised if they have Vanilla Ice dance first on the premiere if he's doing Ice Ice Baby. Agree with you McManda, they know he's going to struggle with votes early on. Rick Perry is clearly going to be right at the bottom of the leaderboard if he's doing cha cha while all the other weak couples on paper have ballroom dances. We'll soon see how far his pandering gets him in the votes. Did you see his teamname is something like #DancingForVets or something. Yeah right, I bet his teamname would be #DancingForLGBT if he thought it would get him more votes even though he opposes same sex partnerships. Urgh!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

http://tvline.com/2016/09/09/dancing-with-the-stars-season-23-odds-ryan-lochte-laurie-hernandez/

Can't really argue with too many of these Odds, except for Jenna/Jake. Putting them up in the top five most likely pairs to win the mirrorball is just crazy imo.

Ouch, yeah, I'd flip Jake and James Hinchcliffe completely. I think dead-behind-the-eyes Jake is in one of the first 3 out, and charming-happy-to-be-there James is top four or five bound. Even without name recognition. My current top 4 prediction: Laurie, James, Calvin, Marilu. 

47 minutes ago, kitcloudkicker said:

Ouch, yeah, I'd flip Jake and James Hinchcliffe completely. I think dead-behind-the-eyes Jake is in one of the first 3 out, and charming-happy-to-be-there James is top four or five bound. Even without name recognition. My current top 4 prediction: Laurie, James, Calvin, Marilu. 

That has to be one of the worst prediction articles/odds from a media source that I've seen in a long time. If James Hinchcliffe finishes 12th then I'll run round town topless. I agree with your final four predictions and switching of Jake and James. Jake has Jive week one and with Marilu and Derek also doing jive and will no doubt stand out, he has his work cut out. Along with having a new pro I just don't see where his votes are coming from. I actually think Terra might be one of the biggest surprises of week one. Just have a hunch, I don't like her but she seems to have bundles of energy which will be really good for Jive.

Is Jana Kramer actually that well known that country music fans will vote to keep her in while she builds a wider fan base? Because I've never heard of her. Also, she has Viennese Waltz week one (can be difficult and often comes across as booooring) and Gleb doesn't really have an established fan base. 

Well, I think she would be reasonably recognizable amongst fans of current, mainstream country music. Her song "I got the Boy" was a decent hit, and her new song "Circles" is getting a lot of airplay on the national Sirius station, The Highway.

After Carrie and Miranda there aren't a ton of super established female solo artists in country at the moment (although Kelsea Ballerina and Kacey Musgrave do come to mind). She'll probably get some residual recognition from her time acting on OTH too.

James is interesting. He might be the biggest non-entity in the entire cast. He's good looking, but doesn't yet appear to be much of a dancer. Sharna's popularity alone couldn't get Tavis Smiley past week two. Would I want to bet that he's an early out? Do I think they have a chance to make top 5 or 4? No and yes. But with the controversy of Lochte, and Perry making it unlikely they'll go right off the bat, I think it's at least possible that James is out by week 4. I really hope not because he seems to really enjoy partnering with Sharna and he's got a great attitude about the whole DWTS experience...

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

Well, I think she would be reasonably recognizable amongst fans of current, mainstream country music. Her song "I got the Boy" was a decent hit, and her new song "Circles" is getting a lot of airplay on the national Sirius station, The Highway.

Huh. Thanks. Pretty much all we have around here are country stations and oldies stations, and I hadn't heard her on the country ones so I was curious. Granted, the country stations are pretty limited in the selection they play. (I'm so sick of bro country.) 

• Love 1

Yeah, I think mainstream country got sick of the criticism and backlash to the bro-country epidemic, and that horrible out of touch A+R person who compared female artists in country music to being the "tomatoes in the salad" or something to that affect....that they've really tried hard over the last year or so to break some new female talent.

Kelsea Ballerina probably is at the top of that list....but Jana's profile has definitely been raised along w/ Voice Alum Cassaddee Pope and a couple other female artists like Maren Morris, Clare Dunn and maybe Brandy Clark.

Edited by PhD-Purgatory15
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Plus she was in Nationwide Insurance commercials where, she would go behind burglers and replace stuff all cat girl like.

Oh, hey! I've seen those. Interesting to know that was her. Thanks!

On September 9, 2016 at 11:50 PM, PhD-Purgatory15 said:

After Carrie and Miranda there aren't a ton of super established female solo artists in country at the moment (although Kelsea Ballerina and Kacey Musgrave do come to mind). She'll probably get some residual recognition from her time acting on OTH too.

James is interesting. He might be the biggest non-entity in the entire cast. He's good looking, but doesn't yet appear to be much of a dancer. Sharna's popularity alone couldn't get Tavis Smiley past week two. Would I want to bet that he's an early out? Do I think they have a chance to make top 5 or 4? No and yes. But with the controversy of Lochte, and Perry making it unlikely they'll go right off the bat, I think it's at least possible that James is out by week 4. I really hope not because he seems to really enjoy partnering with Sharna and he's got a great attitude about the whole DWTS experience...

Small corrections, if I may... It's Kelsea Ballerini, with an I at the end; not Ballerina, like the dancer--she co-hosted the recently aired ABC summer music retrospective show Greatest Hits with Arsenio Hall, by the way--& Kacey Musgraves, with an S at the end. I think both ladies have at least been nominated for Grammys &/or pretty major Country Music genre-specific awards (Academy of Country Music Awards, if not Country Music Association Awards), if not actually won them, in recent years, as well.

Oh wow ... that set of songs/dances looks like it sucks. It's either insanely mismatched (an Argentine tango to the X-files theme? is there an extended version that picks up? a ballroom tango to Gain DeGraw's I Don't Wanna Be?) or to Intentional to be interesting) of course Maureen is dancing to the Brady Bunch theme, and Marilu to the Taxi theme, and Jake to Go, Diego Go).

Plus, haven't they used some of these songs before? I'm pretty sure someone already danced to the Game of Thrones theme (though not a Viennese Waltz, iirc).

Edited by McManda
28 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

This looks like so much fun!  I'm most interested in seeing James and Sharna's  Paso Doble tribute to the Walking Dead, and Amber and Maks' Viennese Waltz to the Game of Thrones theme. 

Rick Perry and Emma's quickstep to the Green Acres them sounds like a major trainwreck.  He can go home now.

12 minutes ago, McManda said:

Plus, haven't they used some of these songs before? I'm pretty sure someone already danced to the Game of Thrones theme (though not a Viennese Waltz, iirc).

They like to re-use songs. I think they're easier to clear rights for if they've already done it? (Or they get chosen multiple times because they have easier rights.) The internet says it was Corbin and Karina with a Viennese Waltz. 

14 minutes ago, McManda said:

of course Maureen is dancing to the Brady Bunch theme, and Marilu to the Taxi theme, and Jake to Go, Diego Go

I get why they did this for all these, but man, these suck. The Taxi theme sounds like generic elevator music to me. (Derek mentioned in his TV Guide blog that he's trying to work with the band to make it more foxtrot-y.) I wish they would have given Maureen "Keep on Movin" as the Brady Bunch nod, especially since I think Florence Henderson already did a dance to the theme. And I don't really care about Jake, but having to dance to the theme from his most childish credit really isn't going to help him in his stated goal of showing that he's a grown up now. 

I am VERY excited for DuckTales though. The only thing that would make me more excited would be the Talespin theme song. (For obvious reasons.) 

3 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

I wish they would have given Maureen "Keep on Movin" as the Brady Bunch nod, especially since I think Florence Henderson already did a dance to the theme.

But the theme of the week is specifically "TV Theme Songs," not "Music That Has Been Featured on TV Shows." It doesn't matter that Florence Henderson already danced to the theme from "The Brady Bunch," because that song by definition fits this week's theme; "Keep on Movin'" does not.

For what it's worth, though, I hate TV Theme Song Week precisely because the music is so often inappropriate for the assigned dances. Then again, I threw up my hands at the abominations that the music monkeys have consistently foisted upon us years ago.

Edited by legaleagle53
6 hours ago, kitcloudkicker said:

The internet says it was Corbin and Karina with a Viennese Waltz. 

Ah, that's right. I stand corrected. For some reason I thought it was a Paso. All I really remembered was someone as Danerys ending up on something resembling the Iron Throne. 

6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

But the theme of the week is specifically "TV Theme Songs," not "Music That Has Been Featured on TV Shows." It doesn't matter that Florence Henderson already danced to the theme from "The Brady Bunch," because that song by definition fits this week's theme; "Keep on Movin'" does not.

I know. (Believe it or not I understand how themes work.) That doesn't mean it doesn't suck. 

How about this. I wish it were not TV themes week, and then Maureen might have been able to nod to her past without being stuck with the theme song. Much like Alphonso was able to dance to Its Not Unusual, a song that does better justice to his Carlton character than the theme song of that show would have.

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Every time it's tv theme week I'm always disappointed no couple has danced to the FRIENDS theme. It would go well with some styles. 

Brandy and Maks danced a quickstep to the Friends theme in season 11 week 5. IIRC, that was the week Maks appeared as the most asshole-ish to her, though I could be wrong. I just remember the irony that he made her cry rehearsing a dance/song about friendship.

31 minutes ago, majormama said:

Brandy and Maks danced a quickstep to the Friends theme in season 11 week 5. IIRC, that was the week Maks appeared as the most asshole-ish to her, though I could be wrong. I just remember the irony that he made her cry rehearsing a dance/song about friendship.

Brandy and Maks danced to the song but the week they had problems in rehearsal came earlier in the season. I'm pretty sure the Friends theme was the week his grandmother died of cancer. I don't remember if the show mentioned it but he mentioned it on social media and his blog.

I had to YouTube the dance as I didn't remember it. Still they could reuse it for tv theme week. There are many songs they have redone. I swear even if the song from the movie the mask has only been used twice, it feels like it's been used more than that.

I wonder why Laurie got Duck Tales from a tv show/movie that began and ended long before she was even born (1990) instead of either the Olympic music or Katy Perry's Rise (the theme song for this Olympics).  I guess the Olympic Committee wouldn't give permission but I'd think Rise would be available for permissions.  Also a little disappointed she gets another high-energy dance (Jive).  I wanted to see her with something slower and in hold or partially in hold.