Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

Do people with ankle injuries usually get rushed to the hospital in an ambulance? LMAO it sounds like some good ole dwts drama. I think she'll be out there Monday, but if not, she shouldn't risk getting injured worse because of a dance show.

• Love 1

Do people with ankle injuries usually get rushed to the hospital in an ambulance? LMAO it sounds like some good ole dwts drama. I think she'll be out there Monday, but if not, she shouldn't risk getting injured worse because of a dance show.

Yeah. "Rushed" is surely hyperbole. However, the video of her injury is up on YouTube. Keo has her attempting an absolutely asinine move. She definitely injured herself

• Love 1

Yeah. "Rushed" is surely hyperbole. However, the video of her injury is up on YouTube. Keo has her attempting an absolutely asinine move. She definitely injured herself

Have you seen the dance they were supposed to be recreating? This is a dance they should have saved until they could pass it to a gymnast. And have someone trained in contemporary teach it. 

• Love 1

Why are the producers even having amateurs do these types of moves? They should stick to waltzes and foxtrots, and save this type of dancing for the pros. It's not surprising more and more people are getting injured.

• Love 3

Have you seen the dance they were supposed to be recreating? This is a dance they should have saved until they could pass it to a gymnast. And have someone trained in contemporary teach it. 

Yeah, I get that they're recreating a dance.  But it's asinine to try this with someone who, unlike Pink, hasn't had the time to train to go on tour, doesn't have muscular/gymnast legs, and isn't lifting someone their relatively same height.

Whoever decided this was a good idea for this couple was out of their mind.

• Love 2

Whoever decided this was a good idea for this couple was out of their mind.

Yeah, that was my point :) 

I don't know how you recreate this dance without doing (at least some of) the crazy tricks. It's like sending bunny hill skiers down a black diamond. Jodie was not going to be ready for that. Keo was not going to be equipped to teach it. If you had a Shawn Johnson type competing, with a strong gymnastics background, you might be able to go for it, but even then I'd think you'd want a contemporary dancer heavily involved in the teaching of it. 

• Love 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFlhCJv7cP8

This is the video of the injury that DWTSGossip tweeted.   Fair warning: her scream is pretty chilling.

It looks like they were attempting a leverage pose and I'm pretty sure both need a strong core to pull it off. It looks to me like Keo shifted his weight and Jodie couldn't hold up to the weight shift.   There's 3 other people just standing there.  I don't know why they are not spotting her or him.  I've seen some chatter that Jodie was recovering from an ankle injury that occurred last week with Val.  If so,  who decided to even attempt this move.  Well, Keo's responsible for the choreography, whether he choreographs the dance or not. 

• Love 2

I loved this. Karina expressed what probably a lot of the pros were thinking but wouldn't be willing to say.

And she finished with the requisite, I wish him the best, I don't have any hard feelings.  :>) 

Keo is responsible for the choreography and what happened here, but IMO a lot of the fault with the constant injuries from lifts and tricks is on TPTB and the show itself.  They are the ones that encourage these things with stupid theme weeks and almost back the pros/celebs back into a corner with needing to constantly try to outdo each other.  Because the other side of it is if a couple has a jazz or contemporary or whatever and doesn't do these things, then the judges will likely call them out on it and the at home audience will probably complain, or worse, be bored. Since everything nowadays is one big troupe/production number, the pros feel the pressure to do whatever they can to stand out, and I have no doubt the show encourages that direction.

Also stupid to expect celebs to recreate "famous" dance routines that they don't have the capability to do.  So if Jodie does a lovely dance, but it doesn't mirror the Pink video, does she get called out?  Especially if she's understandably not capable of such things? I know the last time they had this week the pros were encouraged to keep the dances as close to the originals as possible.

Will we have another week this season without a theme?  The world may never know.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFlhCJv7cP8

This is the video of the injury that DWTSGossip tweeted.   Fair warning: her scream is pretty chilling.

It looks like they were attempting a leverage pose and I'm pretty sure both need a strong core to pull it off. It looks to me like Keo shifted his weight and Jodie couldn't hold up to the weight shift.   There's 3 other people just standing there.  I don't know why they are not spotting her or him.  I've seen some chatter that Jodie was recovering from an ankle injury that occurred last week with Val.  If so,  who decided to even attempt this move.  Well, Keo's responsible for the choreography, whether he choreographs the dance or not. 

Btw I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but the two men in this video with Keo and Jodie are RJ Durell and Nick Florez who choreographed the original "Try" performance for Pink (they're also sytycd choreographers).

Btw I don't know if it's been mentioned yet but the two men in this video with Keo and Jodie are RJ Durell and Nick Florez who choreographed the original "Try" performance for Pink (they're also sytycd choreographers).

So that's why they were just standing there with their hands on their hips instead of spotting or assisting. And the female "demonstrating" wasn't even standing where Jodie could see her.  I understand Keo isn't an experienced teacher and I don't know if he's the one who wanted to do this or if producers basically ordered them to do it, but you'd think the 2 guest choreographers, experienced with Pink and with SYTYCD contestants, would have had better judgment and adapted the move for someone who does not have advanced skills. This just really frosts me! 

• Love 4

It has not been Jodie's week because before the ankle injury, she also took a pretty good whack to the nose on Tuesday courtesy of Keo. I think this particular dance may have been a little too dangerous for the pair to attempt. Not sure why they even thought she'd be able to support his weight like that. 

Now what happens if Jodie can't bounce back from the ankle injury and compete on Monday? Does she get eliminated? I don't normally watch the show so I'm not sure what the precedent is. 

Edited by Everleigh

It has not been Jodie's week because before the ankle injury, she also took a pretty good whack to the nose on Tuesday courtesy of Keo. I think this particular dance may have been a little too dangerous for the pair to attempt. Not sure why they even thought she'd be able to support his weight like that.

Now what happens if Jodie can't bounce back from the ankle injury and compete on Monday? Does she get eliminated? I don't normally watch the show so I'm not sure what the precedent is.

If Jodie has nothing to score, she would be eliminated automatically. If its reasonable to think the ankle will be better next week, then I would think she would take the risk of walking/light dancing to get any score and hope that her fans pull through.

It has not been Jodie's week because before the ankle injury, she also took a pretty good whack to the nose on Tuesday courtesy of Keo. I think this particular dance may have been a little too dangerous for the pair to attempt. Not sure why they even thought she'd be able to support his weight like that.

If Jodie (Jodie & Keo) are physically unable to dance in tomorrow night's show, then they have to withdraw from the competition/they're eliminated, yes. It's in the contract/rules. There's plenty of precedent for this, including last season (or the season before) with Kim Fields' Real Housewives of Atlanta (former?) co-star, Kim Zolciak Biermann, who was partnered with Tony Dovolani (Marla Maples' partner this season). Kim ZB had to withdraw last season after becoming ill, with what turned out to be a cardiac issue needing surgery, when she returned to Atlanta after an early season DWTS show. I think you can probably find the whole Kim ZB thing on YouTube if you look.

I re-watched the video of Jodie's injury, including a clip from a site that played it in slo-mo, and it really is inexcusable.  

If you watch the Pink video posted upthread, you see that the male dancer doesn't lift his second leg off the floor until Pink has shifted her center-of-gravity well backwards.  Without discounting Pink's strength, etc., the move is a bit of an optical illusion and depends to a great deal on leverage.  By the time the male dancer lifts his second leg, the direction of the force should be primarily rearward (in the direction that Pink's extended arm is pointing).  Notice that Pink, from her knees to her shoulders) forms a 45-degree angle with the floor at the point that her partner lifts his second leg.  This is the point at which Pink is supporting his weight completely.

Then, when you watch Keo and Jodie, by contrast, Keo lifts his second leg when Jodie's torso is much more vertical.  That means that the majority of the weight and direction of force is bearing directly downward, through Jodie's knees into her ankles and then the floor.  It is at that point that Jodie starts leaning backwards.  In that scenario, trying to lean backwards whilst supporting Keo's entire weight, it's quite predictable that she would roll her ankle, which is exactly what you see.  

Then, after she rolls her ankle and falls, you see Keo's entire bodyweight come down on her lower leg, crushing it against the floor.  

Clearly Jodie was not instructed properly on this dance.  She was obviously not ready to attempt the move with Keo.  Having Keo in the role of her partner meant that he could not see what she was doing with her body.  The other bystanders were providing some fairly tepid verbal direction, but someone should've been right in there manipulating Jodie's body into the position she needed to be in before Keo lifted his second leg and ensuring that Keo didn't lift that leg until that point.

• Love 2

From the reports, Jodie sprained her ankle and she's been back at rehearsal post that incident, so I don't think there is even a chance she's not dancing. While an ankle sprain is painful, it's not nearly as bad as what could have happened and it's not the kind of injury to completely sideline her on DWTS.  People don't drop out over an ankle sprain.  Now how if effects her dance tonight is a different story of course.

There are rumors that Kim is also injured, perhaps worse than Jodie, but I'm not entirely sure in what capacity.  I've seen some say she has a stress fracture, but where and how I have no idea.  Also still not 100% confirmed and she still has been working pretty hard this week.

From the reports, Jodie sprained her ankle and she's been back at rehearsal post that incident, so I don't think there is even a chance she's not dancing. While an ankle sprain is painful, it's not nearly as bad as what could have happened and it's not the kind of injury to completely sideline her on DWTS. People don't drop out over an ankle sprain. Now how if effects her dance tonight is a different story of course.

There are rumors that Kim is also injured, perhaps worse than Jodie, but I'm not entirely sure in what capacity. I've seen some say she has a stress fracture, but where and how I have no idea. Also still not 100% confirmed and she still has been working pretty hard this week.

Sometimes due to soft tissue inflammation and swelling an X-ray can't pick up a fracture for 7-10 days after an injury. In the meantime, the working diagnosis would be a sprain unless/until the X-ray shows otherwise.

That being said, I agree that the fact that she's back rehearsing suggests that the injury isn't as severe as it looks.

Sometimes due to soft tissue inflammation and swelling an X-ray can't pick up a fracture for 7-10 days after an injury. In the meantime, the working diagnosis would be a sprain unless/until the X-ray shows otherwise.

That being said, I agree that the fact that she's back rehearsing suggests that the injury isn't as severe as it looks.

Agreed.  Also it could be something that becomes a more serious problem in future weeks, but she's definitely dancing tonight.  Now whether the show plays it for full drama and tries to pretend she isn't, that's another story.  From what I heard Antonio is dancing last anyway.

Agreed.  Also it could be something that becomes a more serious problem in future weeks, but she's definitely dancing tonight.  Now whether the show plays it for full drama and tries to pretend she isn't, that's another story.  From what I heard Antonio is dancing last anyway.

One of the DWTS ads playing last night did show Jodie rolling on the floor and her scream. It didn't show what caused this reaction.

Interesting article this week on whether Keo is bringing Jodie down:

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/dancing-with-the-stars/dancing-with-the-stars-poll-is-59833.aspx

Could be, but Keo, Tony, Artem, etc. ALWAYS get the non-contenders while Derek, Mark, Val ALWAYS get the contenders. Same pattern for the women. Peta, Sharna and Witney get the good ones, while Karina, Anna, and Emma get the duds. No doubt there is something to that. 

4 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Interesting article this week on whether Keo is bringing Jodie down:

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/dancing-with-the-stars/dancing-with-the-stars-poll-is-59833.aspx

Could be, but Keo, Tony, Artem, etc. ALWAYS get the non-contenders while Derek, Mark, Val ALWAYS get the contenders. Same pattern for the women. Peta, Sharna and Witney get the good ones, while Karina, Anna, and Emma get the duds. No doubt there is something to that. 

Karina has had her fair share of contenders. Mario Lopez, Corbin Bleu, Apolo Ohno in the all stars, JR (who she won with). 

Peta has had duds (basketball player Metta World Peace her first season) I wouldn't call Tommy Chong a dud but he wasn't going to win. He had the charm factor while being a decent dancer for his age.

Val and Mark don't always get contenders (Mark was saddled with Kim Kardashian and Val's had an ex of George Clooney, Elisabetta something and Sherri Shepherd to name a couple)

• Love 1

Except that's just it. This time Keo didn't get a dud and therefore there was no better time for him to truly shine and show what he can really do and instead, his work has simply been okay. Keo could have used this season to do what Lindsay did last season with Alek, (a guy who was nowhere as good and natural a dancer as Jodie), where she made a solid case for herself as deserving to be a Pro. She did what a good Pro does - worked to his strengths and created choreography that truly made him shine. Keo hasn't done that with Jodie and the problem is not lack of ability with her. So at this point, can it really just be, "well he only gets duds..." or maybe he's just not that good.

See Keo is a perfect example of what I've been saying when the annoying young ones on the show's Instagram, Twitter, etc. want to crow about this troupe member and that one deserving to be Pro. Being a Pro on this show is not just a matter of how well you the professional can dance. They can all dance. It's a matter of how you can take a celebrity, who some dance training or not, may have no knowledge of ballroom dancing and make them look as good as possible in a few weeks. And do it in a way that wows and interests the viewers and specifically the voters, at home. 

• Love 10

Yes, not all troupe members deserve to be pros, but the the pros certainly look better or worse depending on who their celebrity is. Jodie is pretty good, but she's no Meryl Davis. Keo made it to week 8 with her, and that is pretty much what I expected with her. I think Keo did what he was supposed to do. I don't think Lindsay did anything spectacular with Alek. The judges ridiculously inflated his scores so he could get to the finals. It's pretty obvious they want some contestants (and pros) to win (or at least make the finals), while they don't care about others.

Like this season, Ginger is okay but not great, but it's obvious the show wants her and Val in the finals, so she's probably going to get there.

• Love 1

You saw what Val and Jodie produced during switch, he taught her well and gave her suitable choreo and she was a highlight of the show. With Keo she gets lost in the woodwork at this point, and I think she's got potential for more. She's got more charisma than both Paige and Ginger, but he's not using that at all to gain an advantage. And how far a celeb makes it doesn't always reflect the dancing, Allison made it pretty far with Andy, but I didn't think she did a great job with him anyway. And it's not only Keo getting criticism, at least in fan circles I've seen discussion of Witney's work as well. Because in both cases there's a perception that they don't get the maximum out of their celebs.

And most pros have dealt with their fair share of clunkers and it often shows how strong they are, Peta really delivered with Tommy for example. The case for Mark as a pro for me always starts with the first season with Bristol Palin, no matter how cringeworthy it was. That he got IMO one of the worst contestants ever (bad attitude, no work ethic, insecure and defensive, probably doing it because her mother forced her, totally overwhelmed with the whole experience) and managed to get her to a level where her dancing was somewhat watchable really showed what he's made of as a teacher. You also have his work with the young ones where he works around all their limitations, you've got the great season with Candace where he took a limited and super nervous celeb and made her entertaining to watch. Tony maneuvering the older ladies with patience (it's a skill set and why TPTB keep him around). Sharna with Noah or Andy Dick. Even Maks, for all his inconsistencies and impatience, produced results with Kristie Alley and brought the best out of her.

• Love 6
59 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Yes, not all troupe members deserve to be pros, but the the pros certainly look better or worse depending on who their celebrity is. Jodie is pretty good, but she's no Meryl Davis. Keo made it to week 8 with her, and that is pretty much what I expected with her. I think Keo did what he was supposed to do. I don't think Lindsay did anything spectacular with Alek. The judges ridiculously inflated his scores so he could get to the finals. It's pretty obvious they want some contestants (and pros) to win (or at least make the finals), while they don't care about others.

Like this season, Ginger is okay but not great, but it's obvious the show wants her and Val in the finals, so she's probably going to get there.

I can totally agree with this. See, I think Jodie is way better than Ginger. Why is Ginger getting better Judges' comments and scores? Are the judges influencing our perception? Did the criticism toward Keo few weeks ago work? Although Val is a more experienced teacher, I didn't think he brought something extra out of Jodie. I also didn't think Kim was THAT much worst with Keo. The Judges' comments, however, were interesting and supported the story line. Speaking of, I thought Mark brought a lot more out of Ginger. 

Personally I've said flat out that I'm bored by Val's choreography this season. I haven't been wowed once by Ginger and I didn't think the Paso with Jodie was that amazing. That said, I think the choreography did focus on her a lot and allowed her to shine in a way her dances with Keo hasn't. That's my main thing with Keo's work, it's that I find he's not giving Jodie stuff to make her shine and breakout. And the fact is, when you have Nyle with his story, Wanya with all his personality and natural rhythm, Antonio with Steeler nation fans behind him and yes Ginger with GMA stumping for her and Val's fans and even Paige who people may not connect with but has Mark's interesting choreography to help her shine, Jodie NEEDS something to break her away from the pack and I don't think he has it in him to deliver that or I certainly haven't seen it.

Also, YMMV but something about his dancing in the Quickstep was throwing me off. I'm no expert but 10 years of watching this show and seeing Quicksteps every season has made me pretty comfortable with recognizing that dance well and something just seemed strange in Keo's movement to me. It was really throwing me off. I would also add that for all the stuff about Ginger being hyped by the show and ABC, until this week's VW, her scores have not been that high. The judges were stingy for the first two or three weeks and she was getting 7's and last week she was tied for last place. Yeah they may not be harsh with her but the scores haven't really been amazing IMO. 

truthaboutluv, Shirley Ballas brought into question Keo's own technique on AfterBuzz last night. And therein lies another problem I have with Keo on this show; not only do I find his choreography underwhelming, and his teaching abilities suspect, but I also don't see his quality of movement matching the likes of Val, Mark, etc. 

• Love 2
(edited)

It's interesting that Keo is proud of "breaking boundaries" by dancing with Nyle when everyone seems to be forgetting that back in season 6 there was the man-go. To be fair Jonathan was on the silly side, but I think that was vaguely to be expected because he was stepping in for Anna and as such was pretending to be the woman in the dance, but still. I don't know that I'd call Keo's 16 counts with Nyle as any more groundbreaking.

Also, an extra from Strictly ... Artem and James practicing rumba. They're just goofing off, but it's just as entertaining.

Edited by McManda
9 hours ago, McManda said:

It's interesting that Keo is proud of "breaking boundaries" by dancing with Nyle when everyone seems to be forgetting that back in season 6 there was the man-go. To be fair Jonathan was on the silly side, but I think that was vaguely to be expected because he was stepping in for Anna and as such was pretending to be the woman in the dance, but still. I don't know that I'd call Keo's 16 counts with Nyle as any more groundbreaking.

Also, an extra from Strictly ... Artem and James practicing rumba. They're just goofing off, but it's just as entertaining.

I wouldn't count the "mango" simply because it wasn't a part of the actual dance. It was in jest, not meant to be judged or counted as a part of their score. Therefore it didn't have the same impact. Whereas the dance with Keo and Nyle was to be judged, it was meant to be provocative. There hasn't been a same sex dance like that on DWTS (our version at least). If the "mango" was the real routine and not done as something of a joke I would agree. But it wasn't and therefore was far more palatable to anyone watching who may have otherwise been uncomfortable seeing two men dance together. YMMV of course. 

• Love 1

As I said in the epi thread, the thing I feel distinguishes Nyle's and Keo's little section of man-on-man is the intention.  We've all seen men dancing together on the show before, but it has never been intended to show erotic love between the men.  That was clearly Bruno's intention, even if the cameras pulled so far back that it was impossible to judge whether it was realized.  IMO.

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Hmmm...interesting article calling out the show's preferential treatment of Ginger:

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/dancing-with-the-stars/is-dancing-with-the-stars-tryi-59941.aspx

Well that is interesting.  The number of votes in that poll shows 67% feel she's over-hyped while just 33% think she deserves to win.  2175 is not a lot of votes, but it is a pretty decent sample and you can only vote once. 

Edited by RedFiat

We've all seen men dancing together on the show before, but it has never been intended to show erotic love between the men.  That was clearly Bruno's intention, even if the cameras pulled so far back that it was impossible to judge whether it was realized.  IMO.

Maybe that was Bruno's intention, but if so it was poorly executed, IMO. 16 counts and a spin doesn't convey erotic love (to me, at least) despite the panned out camera angle or the traditional aura of an Argentine Tango.

I only cite the man-go because for me, it's the same principle. The man-go was silly, but like you said, that's because it wasn't a competition dance. That wouldn't have fit in with a sensual dance that was being scored. And though an AT is supposed to be steamy and sensual and all that comes with that, but I didn't really get that between any of the couples; Peta/Nyle, Keo/Jodie OR Keo/Nyle or Peta/Jodie which is also why the dance didn't really seem groundbreaking to me.

(Maybe between Artem and ... who was his partner? But that's because they're the pros and can sell an AT and because I have an unabashed admiration for Artem, but that's a whole different conversation.)

2 hours ago, McManda said:

Maybe that was Bruno's intention, but if so it was poorly executed, IMO. 16 counts and a spin doesn't convey erotic love (to me, at least) despite the panned out camera angle or the traditional aura of an Argentine Tango.

I only cite the man-go because for me, it's the same principle. The man-go was silly, but like you said, that's because it wasn't a competition dance. That wouldn't have fit in with a sensual dance that was being scored. And though an AT is supposed to be steamy and sensual and all that comes with that, but I didn't really get that between any of the couples; Peta/Nyle, Keo/Jodie OR Keo/Nyle or Peta/Jodie which is also why the dance didn't really seem groundbreaking to me.

(Maybe between Artem and ... who was his partner? But that's because they're the pros and can sell an AT and because I have an unabashed admiration for Artem, but that's a whole different conversation.)

It is subjective, but I loved that dance. It was purely dancing while the other two, I think were too focused on the theatrics of it all.

• Love 1

Speaking of that dance..I was looking at some recent DWTS videos on YouTube and its interesting to look at the views on the judges dances. The amount of views on Bruno's team dance is nuts compared to the other two. Len's has 25,000+,Carrie Ann's 40,000+ and Bruno's is 132,000.  Granted Nyle's videos tend to get a crapload of views but I think between the 3 that was the one that got the most attention anyway.

• Love 1

Unless Bing has access to the viewer vote counts, then seems like just a guess as anyone else's. Unless one of the couples totally falls apart, the judges' scores will be meaningless because they'll score everyone very close together and so as is always the case, it will come down to the viewer votes. Whoever has the larger share of the viewer votes will win. My gut says that will be Nyle but I could be wrong. 

• Love 1

I think Bing has correctly predicted the winner for Season 21, 20 and 19 but this season feels a bit more up in the air than past seasons have so I am skeptical. A week ago I would have put Paige in 3rd but my totally non scientific observatons of online comments show that people are pretty divided on ther feelings about Ginger and Nyle but nearly everyone agrees that Paige is good even if she is not their favorite. I think the 3 person final could be a boost for her because her opponents both have a fair number of detractors. I've seen lots of Wanya  fans saying their votes will now go to Paige so I think she might have a chance to pull it off. I still think Nyle has the edge but could see an outcome where she beats him. I think Ginger winds up third in that scenario though. 

Bing has been right about 80% of the time for American Idol and that is a show with no judges scores so they do have some success with correctly predicting audience vote based results. Their accuracy for last season's DWTS was 95%