Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

Alexa sent out a tweet last night that seems to confirm she's not coming back - mentions of her "journey coming to an end, but everything happens for a reason." (People seemed to have been speculating she's coming back because Mark posted some non-specific "very excited, big news" post to his social media, but my guess is that was about his music career, given that his single got a good sized bump from being featured on the show.)

The thing about not having an elimination this week is that it kind of takes the wind out of the sails of the "who's going to make the finals???" drama that they like to have for a semifinal. I think I'm onboard with the best plan being eliminating one this week, and going forward with a 3 person finale. And adding in an extra pro dance to fill time, one that they let the pros choreograph for themselves instead of Mandy Moore. (Okay, that last one is wishful thinking.) 

Edited by kitcloudkicker
  • Love 5

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3311166/Sisters-war-Tamar-Braxton-feuding-family-claimed-went-backs-Dancing-Stars-illness-forced-out.html

I have no idea if the above article has a shred of truth to it since I had never heard of Tamar before this season and basically had only heard one of her sister's songs. I tend to be skeptical of the gossipy press and I also like to believe the best about people, but the article does raise some questions in light of some discussions on this board.

Has anyone heard about a "feud" between Tamar and her sisters?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3311166/Sisters-war-Tamar-Braxton-feuding-family-claimed-went-backs-Dancing-Stars-illness-forced-out.html

I have no idea if the above article has a shred of truth to it since I had never heard of Tamar before this season and basically had only heard one of her sister's songs. I tend to be skeptical of the gossipy press and I also like to believe the best about people, but the article does raise some questions in light of some discussions on this board.

Has anyone heard about a "feud" between Tamar and her sisters?

I don't know about "Feud" BUT, Tamar did say in one of her 1st dwts interviews that she didn't tell her sisters about the doing the show.

Per Derek blog, they're making them do an extra dance. No extra pro dances :( 

http://www.tvguide.com/news/dancing-derek-hough-blog-week9-bindi-irwin/

I don't know what the plan is now that Tamar's out. We do have another challenge for us because of her withdrawal. We have to do something else to fill up the extra time where Tamar would've been dancing. They've told us, but I don't know if I can go into the details yet.

Probably not a surprise to anyone but I'll leave it here...

Dancing With The Stars 2015 Rigged So Bindi Irwin Wins – Other Celeb Dancers Stand NO Chance of Winning Season 21?

http://www.celebdirtylaundry.com/2015/dancing-with-the-stars-2015-rigged-so-bindi-irwin-wins-other-celeb-dancers-stand-no-chance-of-winning-season-21/

That seems like a legitimate news source....

Nick has gotten a pretty clean edit as well so I mostly think things like that are bs.

• Love 3

That seems like a legitimate news source....

Nick has gotten a pretty clean edit as well so I mostly think things like that are bs.

Fair point, but I don't think he was pushed that much compared to Bindi. In my first post when I joined this forum, I already stated that the show seemed rigged to me and this was my first season watching it. And didn't many people here observe similar things? ;)

Edited by Brownie

Not sure where to post it, but this thread seems like the best bet! Please let me know if this should go elsewhere...

People posted an article about how they'll be filling in the extra time now that they're down a dancer for Monday. I facepalmed so hard my forehead practically concaved. So dumb. But the article also has information that didn't make me want to bash my head against the wall, like who all the trio partners will be and some of the songs being danced to. Enjoy!

http://www.people.com/article/dancing-stars-who-is-returning-tamar-braxton-exit?xid=socialflow_facebook_peoplemag

• Love 3

In the US, which is the audience the producers mostly care about, Nick Carter was really the biggest name of this season's cast.  Add on that he's at least a decent dancer, he was going to be pretty popular unless his personality came off poorly, which I don't think it has.

In the US, which is the audience the producers mostly care about, Nick Carter was really the biggest name of this season's cast.  Add on that he's at least a decent dancer, he was going to be pretty popular unless his personality came off poorly, which I don't think it has.

Anyway it's a reality TV show with reality TV producers and editors.  The bottom line is the show's goal is to get good ratings. I don't understand when people want to uphold it to standards of "real ballroom competition". 

Well he's certainly a heck of a lot more likable than his awful brother.  And sure lets get good ratings, but I also think if it's going to be a competition show, there has to be some sort of standard for competition and ballroom dance is as good as any standard, given the dancers are ballroom dancers.. Otherwise, just make it a variety show and forget about competitions.

I guess that means we're getting another three person finale. I have seen some speculation that they just won't have an elimination because of Tamar's withdrawal but I just can't see them not having an elimination a week before the Finals, especially when they had a three person Finals last season just fine. Despite Tamar's withdrawal, I still say Carlos or Alek goes home on Monday and I won't be surprised if it's Carlos. 

If what they're saying there are dance off's to take up the time, then it goes to either padding someone for the finales, or  having an elimination.  Elimination sounds more likely. 

I honestly have little patience for the "well I liked them just fine but the evil producers have turned me off so much I'll vote elsewhere to show them..." Of course I don't even vote ever anyway but I'm just saying I find that so juvenile and essentially still making said producers influence your feelings good or bad. Like who you like and vote for them or not. I just feel like some make this cheesy show so much more complicated and deeper than it needs to be, IMO.

Hmm, well here's the thing. I think it goes both ways.   I never liked Kelly Osbourne for who she was as a person, and even though the show did their level best into manufacturing her  into someone to vote for, I just remembered how she has a mean spirit outside of the dance floor. So nothing the show did or said about Kelly Osbourne had much to do with my voting or not voting for her.  So, although I try very much to watch for the dancing, in Kelly's case I couldn't care less.It was just off the table. In hindsight I am glad I didn't vote for her. She's still a very nasty human being.

Tamar Braxton, I had very little knowledge of her, but her inital Quickstep was fantastic, and I felt the edits she was getting was manufactured to show her poorly, so that in itself makes me want to defend her, and it's not necessarily for the person she is, but for the obvious work she put in to do such a great opening dance, and not really getting recognized for it.  

This show tries at times to rehabilitate a bad person simply by having them on the show and dance with a beloved pro dancer.  Tom Delay comes to mind. Controversial sure. People made all kinds of excuses for him while he was on the show. But this guy ends up going to jail for defrauding people. I'm so glad I didn't get taken in by the show. 

Bindi Irwin, again what I know of her was her father. Her dancing was okay. But I got this nagging feeling that the show was really pulling out all the stops to make her the chosen one and there's very little evidence to support why. She was an okay dancer, an okay personality, but nothing outstanding. For me, she just doesn't live up to the hype. And unfortunately, unless I have a reason, the over-hype turns me off. 

There's a controversy brewing over ABC's apparent refusal to let a same-sex couple dance together to the song "Boys Like You" by Who Is Fancy featuring Ariana Grande & Meghan Trainor on the November 23rd episode. Here's a link:

http://www.newnownext.com/dancing-with-the-stars-refuses-to-pair-male-dancers-during-gay-singers-performance/11/2015/

My verdict: this is ridiculous. This show has an openly gay pro (Louis Van Amstel), an openly gay judge (Bruno Tognioli) and has had openly gay contestants, but they can't have two men dancing together? Last time I checked, this was the 21st century, not the 19th. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 1

Admittedly it was a few years ago, but have they forgotten Steve Guttenberg and Jonathan Edwards' Mango?

ETA: It's true, the Mango was campy and the planned dance presumably isn't. Still....

Edited by Serendi

Is the choreographer for Who Is Fancy doing the choreographing? Because if no, what difference does it make? He's not the one deciding the routine. No doubt if one of the pros on the show wanted to do a gay-themed number they'd have a better chance of it actually getting aired.

That said, I don't see why just because the singer is gay they have to have two men dancing together. Even if the song is about two men falling in love, it's not like choreography has to explicitly spell out the lyrics. In fact, I think it's too on the nose if it does.

Anyway, I know it's not the same, was never meant to be serious, and was on Strictly, but I found this when I was trolling YouTube. I laughed.

Edited by McManda

The way I see it, it makes a difference because it sends a message that seeing a same-sex couple dance together in a non-comedic way is "bad" and might be "offensive" to the so-called "family" audience, as if gay people don't have families themselves. There have been plenty of numbers on the show with hetero couples which illustrate a song's lyrics all the time, so this one shouldn't be any different, as far as I'm concerned.

• Love 2

I'm not surprised. They cast gay and transgendered people for the controversy factor, but it's not like this show is very welcoming to them. Look at the way the judges treated Chaz Bono and Michael Sam, among others.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 2

Admittedly it was a few years ago, but have they forgotten Steve Guttenberg and Jonathan Edwards' Mango?

ETA: It's true, the Mango was campy and the planned dance presumably isn't. Still....

Just a little correction, that was Jonathan Roberts who was Anna's husband.  Anna was Steve's partner at the time and she HATED the idea of them doing the Mango together.  I think she was actually more tuned into the audience that votes on this show than Jonathan. Obviously the show wanted Jonathan to do it and he was a willing partner after he was kicked off first week with poor Monica Sales.  But the reason I say Anna was more attuned to the audience is that after this appearance we didn't see Johnathan as a pro again.  He came in to help out and give advice and do some pro numbers with Anna.  But he never came back as a pro. There were a lot of chuckles about that dance, but there were also a lot of homophobia as well. It may have led to his demise, we just don't know.   The show is for me, worse without him. He brought that Standard form and elegance that's really missing from Latin pros.  

Edited by Andie1
  • Love 1

Moving this from the Trio night thread:

That's the show I want to see sometime. Apparently the humor is pretty R-rated during those elimination dress rehearsals.

I would love to see a dress rehearsal, based on what they've so graciously aired as filler. They look like a lot of fun.

Season 18:

Season 19:

Season 20:

Just a little correction, that was Jonathan Roberts who was Anna's husband.  Anna was Steve's partner at the time and she HATED the idea of them doing the Mango together.  I think she was actually more tuned into the audience that votes on this show than Jonathan. Obviously the show wanted Jonathan to do it and he was a willing partner after he was kicked off first week with poor Monica Sales.  But the reason I say Anna was more attuned to the audience is that after this appearance we didn't see Johnathan as a pro again.  He came in to help out and give advice and do some pro numbers with Anna.  But he never came back as a pro. There were a lot of chuckles about that dance, but there were also a lot of homophobia as well. It may have led to his demise, we just don't know.   The show is for me, worse without him. He brought that Standard form and elegance that's really missing from Latin pros.  

That's not accurate. The Mango was season 6. Jonathan's last season as a competing pro was season 9.

That's not accurate. The Mango was season 6. Jonathan's last season as a competing pro was season 9.

Sorry, my bad, with Macy Gray eliminated so early that I forgot he was on. She definitely had no clue what she was signing up for. He got the duds so often that he barely stayed beyond the first night or two.  I still wonder about that Mango though, we never had two guys dance again in hold since season 6. 

Edited by Andie1

Huh. I totally didn't notice I called Jonathan Roberts Jonathan Edwards. Yeah, I knew he was Anna's husband and all. (Jonathan Edwards is this fire-and-brimstone preacher from several hundred years ago who's an ancestor of mine; why I would bring him into it, I have NO idea.)

Get The Scoop On The 'Dancing With The Stars' Season 21 Two-Night Finale

The Dancing With The Stars finals are just THREE days away and JJJ has the scoop on what’s going to happen on the two-night finale.

MONDAY: Alek Skarlatos and Lindsay Arnold, Bindi Irwin and Derek Hough, Carlos PenaVega and Witney Carson, and Nick Carter and Sharna Burgess will compete in two rounds of dance.

In the first, one judge will help each couple choose the creative elements of each dance, which is a re-do to a new song. Carrie Ann Inaba will work alongside Lindsay and Alek AND Bindi and Derek. Julianne Hough is with Nick and Sharna, and Bruno Tonioli is with Carlos and Witney.

In the second round,the couples take on a freestyle dance featuring special effects, additional dancers and unexpected surprises. There will also be special performances from Meghan Trainor, singing “Like I’m Gonna Lose You,” and Who Is Fancy, Ariana Grande and Meghan performing “Boys Like You.”

At the end of the night, the couple with the lowest combined viewer and judge votes from the previous two weeks will be eliminated.

TUESDAY: There will be live dancing and show-stopping performances at the Grove shopping center and in the DWTS ballroom. The night kicks off with a high-energy opening number, featuring a reunion of all 13 of this season’s couples at the Grove, with performances from Alexander Jean, Andy Grammer, Chaka Khan, Elle King and Nick Carter.

Eliminated contestant Kim Zolciak will return to the ballroom to dance a Samba with Tony Dovolani to “I Dream of Jeannie,” which she was never able to perform, along with encore dances from the eliminated celebrities. The cast of the upcoming “Dancing with the Stars: Live! Dance All Night Tour” will perform a dance to Avicii’s “Broken Arrows”.

Then, the three finalists will each dance a repeat dance from this season. In the last element of competition, the couples will perform a new routine as part of a “24-Hour Fusion Challenge.” The remaining couples will fuse two contrasting dance styles that they’ve performed this season and they’ll have less than 24 hours to prepare that dance for judges’ points BEFORE the mirrored-ball trophy winner is announced.

VOTING: Viewers may cast their votes for their favorite teams via phone on Monday night during and up to 60 minutes after the end of the broadcast in each time zone. Online voting at www.abc.com and on Facebook at https://apps.facebook.com/votedwts/ is open for 15 hours, beginning from the start of the episode Monday, November 23 on the East Coast at 8PM ET/5PM PT and closing at 11AM ET/8AM PT the next day.

TELL JJJ: Are you ready for the two night finale?

http://www.justjaredjr.com/2015/11/20/get-the-scoop-on-the-dancing-with-the-stars-season-21-two-night-finale/

Bindi & family apparently spent Thanksgiving in the States, then flew home to Australia soon afterwards. They've been back in Oz for a few days now, & ET's website has posted this (I think) cute photo set of Bindi posing with her Mirrorball Trophy & various animals at Australia Zoo.

http://m.etonline.com/news/177424_bindi_irwin_shows_off_dwts_mirror_ball_trophy_to_her_furry_friends_at_australia_zoo/

If anyone's curious what's engraved on the plate where the winners' names go, it says:

"Dancing with the Stars (in the form of the show's logo)

Season 21 Champions

Bindi Irwin & Derek Hough"

It may be engraved in small type, but at least 1 of the pics had the trophy placed well enough for me to still read the plate. And I'm sure, since Bindi already has the engraved nameplate for the trophy even though she won it less than 2 weeks ago, some will say DWTS had it pre-engraved ahead of the Finals, because they *knew* Bindi & Derek would win & they just stuck it on the trophy after the show went off the air on Finals night; that's fine if people think that.

I choose to think it's like they do at the Oscars (& I think the Emmys) now, & they have a professional engraver at the Finals, waiting to put the correct names on the trophies (the celeb's & the dance pro's) as soon as the show ends, instead of having to send the winners the nameplate separately at a later date (The Oscars, & I think the Emmys, have had a professional engraver set up outside the ballroom where the post-awards dinner takes place for a few years now, so the winners can just go by that table to get their awards engraved & take them home with their names [& winning categories/ whatever else isn't on the trophy when it's awarded] engraved on them & they don't have to wait for their nameplate to be sent to them & they don't have to attach it to their award themselves).

And I'm sure, since Bindi already has the engraved nameplate for the trophy even though she won it less than 2 weeks ago, some will say DWTS had it pre-engraved ahead of the Finals, because they *knew* Bindi & Derek would win & they just stuck it on the trophy after the show went off the air on Finals night; that's fine if people think that.

Couldn't they have pre-engraved nameplates for each of the finalists in the event that they won? I mean, Things Remembered in the mall will engrave things while I wait for and for $20, so creating nameplates that also said "Nick and Sharna" and "Alek and Lindsay" or even "Carlos and Witney" doesn't seem like too much effort or money.

I doubt they had a professional engraver just for 1 or 2 trophies, though I do like that imagery. :)

I don't know how they did it. I was just theorizing--I think that's the word I want. And I had totally forgotten about Things Remembered, though I've used them in the past for stuff too.

But my point was it was kind of nice, but a little surprising, that Bindi was at least able to take a "complete, personalized" trophy home with her, instead of having to wait for the part that specifies what she won it for, who she won it with, & when they won it to be personalized & sent to her in Australia after the fact (for her to attach to the trophy herself).

OK, she & her family would know all the particulars of how she got it, without the personalized plate, because they were there for all of it (& especially since the mirrorball has the show's title logo on it). But it's still nice to have the fully explanatory plate; especially if someone happens to see it who's somehow completely unaware that Bindi did the show at all, let alone won the whole thing.

I'm annoyed at this ET description in the set of Bindi pics: "an apparently hilarious bird."  Heads up their own butts, much?

It's clearly a kookaburra and they are known for their laughing call.  I'm not a bird specialist or an Australian, but I paid attention to stuff I was taught when I was 5.  

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree

Merry merry king of the bush is he

Laugh, kookaburra, laugh kookaburra

Gay your life will be.

When I was a camp counselor, the little kids would sing this as a round. I think "jungle" was substituted for "bush" to make it more understandable to American ears, but other than that, all the 5-year-olds knew it was about a laughing bird. :)

Edited by WelcomeStranger
  • Love 1

Derek's (already) in Australia, hanging out with Bindi at Australia Zoo & getting to know the animals--including his namesake Koala, Derek Hough. And he says having the Koala named for him is 1 of the coolest things that's happened to him. Entertainment Tonight (ET) ran a segment about it (apparently on Tuesday... Yesterday... That's when it was on my Twitter feed anyway).

Also, the Judge/Court in LA *finally* approved Bindi's DWTS contract (better a couple weeks after the Finals than never, huh?!). According to the reports, including the 1 I'm gonna link from ET (the same report also covered Derek's visit), Bindi apparently made around $350,000 (presumably USD, vs. AUSD).

http://m.etonline.com/news/177657_exclusive_derek_hough_met_the_koala_bindi_irwin_named_after_him_and_he_could_hardly_contain_himself/

Dancing with the Stars Dance All Night Tour gave a sneak peak on Ellen today.  Everyone looked great, Peta's ring sparkled!

Boy I thought Val was on fire, he and Sharna danced really well together, so clean, precise those whip turns..

• Love 2

I read Tamar as being a cross between empty-headed (instead of thinking she just talks and talks) and extremely stressed just in the 1st rehearsal.  She sounds like she doesn't like Val when she's talking to the camera after the 1st rehearsal.  I don't want to keep watching.

Val and Peta are also going to miss five shows over New Year's, I assume to go on the usual Chmerkovskiy family tropical holiday vacation. Those are the dates Hayes will be appearing on the tour.

I hate those outfits the women have on in the pix from Ellen's show. I think the black fringe is the worst part. And the men look like fast-food workers.

Anyway, I'm sad that Sasha isn't on the tour. I can't imagine it was his idea. This happened to him before - he was signed up to do the HAL cruises and his picture even came up on the screen in the theatre on the ship, yet he either backed out or was dropped at the last minute, and I think it was the latter.

Poor wee lad just can't get no respect :(

I mean, they've got Julian Tocker who hasn't been in the troupe on DWTS for several seasons - and some stranger I've never seen before - so they're good enough to be male pros on tour, but not Sasha ???  It makes me wonder if he'll be back next season.

Edited by Morrigan