Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

Peta's injury may mean she has to be replaced according to a Ryan Seacrest interview with Andy Grammar.

Kristyn Burtt says:

@DWTS360

#DWTS update: I'm hearing IF Peta is to sit out this season, Lindsay will be the replacement...BUT no decisions have been made yet.

Also:

‏@DWTSGossip

2 more #dwts announcements tomorrow ... On @GMA and on @jimmykimmel

Edited by ceebee

Well it was all made official a few minutes ago on GMA and as a person who has watched every season of this show, I can say this is the biggest collection of hot messes and "who" and "why" I have ever seen cast on this show. And in keeping with the fact that this season is already starting off as a hot ass mess, the announcement was as well.

A bunch of the Pros were not present even if their celebrity was (like Mark, Derek, Emma and Witney) and a few of the "celebrities" weren't there either. The whole thing was one crazy hodge-podge. And yes, Anna, as well as Louis are back this season as Pros. Maybe Louis will stop being so bitter in his blogs. The pairings, as best as I can remember, are:

Hayes Grier with Emma

Bindi Irwin with Derek

Tamar Braxton with Val

Chaka Khan with Keo

Andy Grammar with Alison

Carlos Pena with Witney

Alexa Vega with Mark

Alex Skarlatos* with Lindsay

Nick Carter with Sharna

Victor Espinoza with Karina

Paula Deen with Louis

Gary Busey with Anna

Kim Zolciak with Tony

* if you have no idea who the Alex guy is, it's understandable if you're not following the news. He is one of the three Americans who stopped a possible terrorist attack in France. I saw comments on the DWTS Instagram account from people who were pushing hard to get one of them on. So I guess get ready for another possible Noah situation even if he sucks because of the whole "American Hero" angle. Of course he doesn't have the missing limbs so he may not be as sympathetic to viewers. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 2

People magazine has posted/Tweeted a gallery of the official cast/couple photos. The odd thing about the gallery is, all the couples are touching somehow/in reasonable dance poses in their pics, *except* Andy Grammer & his partner (Lindsay? I'm blanking on her name right now). Their pics are separate pics put next to each other on the page (shrugs).

Anyway... Here's the link:

http://www.people.com/people/gallery/0,,20950832_30383684,00.html

For some reason, for me it always opens on the pic of Chaka Khan & Keo Motsepe, which is the 6th in the gallery, though there's no reference in the original Tweet to indicate it's going to/supposed to do that. If it does that for you, just use the white < arrow, that should be visible in about the middle of the page on the left side, to go all the way back to the 1st pic (then use the white > arrow to go through the rest of the pics).

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

Holy Photoshop Batman! They all look like wax figures! Couldn't they have been more subtle with the retouching? Then again, it is DWTS, so why am I surprised... Allison and Andy weren't yet partners when the photos were made, then Peta dropped out because of injury and they slapped the individual pics of them they had together.

What I found funny about the gallery of pics: All the women are in ballroom shoes except Karina (5'5) - she's in sky-high (5" maybe?) heels that makes her look like Amazon Women next to Victor (5'2).  I guess someone wants to really emphasize the difference.

What I found funny about the gallery of pics: All the women are in ballroom shoes except Karina (5'5) - she's in sky-high (5" maybe?) heels that makes her look like Amazon Women next to Victor (5'2).  I guess someone wants to really emphasize the difference.

Haha.  That pic is hilarious!  That had to be going for comic effect - right?

A few observations from looking through those pictures, why does Golden Boy always have to be jumping or something?  Can't he just pose like everyone else?  Sharna's hair is very garish.  The shade of, I guess you would call it red, is not attractive IMO.  Alexa Vega's chest looks strange,  Either she got some large implants, or that costume has her mushed and squished in an odd manner.  Kim Z. looks like a mannequin with a bad wig.

Karina looks stunning.  I am so glad that she is back.

• Love 1

A few observations from looking through those pictures, why does Golden Boy always have to be jumping or something?  Can't he just pose like everyone else?  Sharna's hair is very garish.  The shade of, I guess you would call it red, is not attractive IMO.  Alexa Vega's chest looks strange,  Either she got some large implants, or that costume has her mushed and squished in an odd manner.  Kim Z. looks like a mannequin with a bad wig.

That's how she always looks.

• Love 1

Karina looks stunning.  I am so glad that she is back.

Derek does it to draw attention to himself.  The TVAcademy is using essentially the same pic (different angle/different jacket) for a vine video ad on twitter, which Derek helpfully retweeted.  Sharna - in some pics she's gorgeous, even with the purply-reddish hair, but in other pics the hair looks very garish.  Her makeup is pretty bad in the official pics.  Alexa's girls look painfully squashed and pushed together. In the BTS rehearsal pics, she looks normal and proportional so I'm not so sure she's had implants. I just can't get over how funny Karina is pictured with Victor, just cracks me up.

• Love 1

Yeah they don't happen too often, especially at the really big award shows but it does happen. The Oscars had one just 2 years or so ago for one of the technical categories. But their biggest one was when Katherine Hepburn and Barbara Streisand tied for Best Actress.

I think ratings are still pretty strong for a show in it's 21st season and 10th year. That's why i'm fairly confident it'll be around a while longer. Some shows struggle for that now.

DWTS not only has a steady demo but consistently over 10 million viewers on the live shows. Why ABC would cancel it anytime soon would be a giant mistake.

Yeah 2.1 is very good, especially for a show in its 10th season. Scandal, one of ABC's biggest hits gets a 3.0 share. I actually think DWTS has gone up in recent seasons because I definitely think, especially when they got rid of the results show, that the show had dipped slightly below 2.0 in audience share even if it was still pulling 10-11 million viewers. So instead of going down it's staying steady and increasing slightly. 

Up against The Voice in the spring, yes, but The Voice has nothing on what DWTS is up against now: NFL as usual and Big Bang Theory moved to Monday starting this coming Monday.

Will be interesting because BBT is a ratings giant.

I thought BBT was already on Monday since last year. That's why I was especially surprised DWTS was able to stay as steady as it did because at one point they were up against The Voice, Big Bang Theory and Gotham which was the most hyped new show of the fall. 

Oops, you are right. I was thinking it was still on Thursdays last year. (I still watch Grey's and that's what it used to be up against) And an article I read made it sound like it just moved.

Clearly I don't watch it. LOL.

Thanks for the ratings info. I was under the false impression that ratings have been steadily declining in recent years. These numbers are encouraging to someone who still loves watching DWTS in spite of all the changes and the long list of flaws. I do know that the significant aspect of ratings that matters most to ABC is the percentage of young viewers. Does anyone know what that rating is and how it compares?

My question about the non-recognizable "stars" is, are they purposely choosing these people in order to draw the youth vote as some have said, or has it become impossible to sign the better known D-list names they'd like to get? Rob Wade and Deena Katz were interviewed in early September and gave the definite impression that they were pinching themselves over this year's group of celebs, implying they couldn't believe some of the big names they signed. Pathetically, I believed them. So the "big reveal" on GMA was even more of a "big anticlimax" for me than ever. Of course the higgledy piggledy way they handled the drip-dropping of names added to the "just whelmed" feeling.

I think it's a bit of both, Danseur. The main demo of DWTS skews older and they have to cater to that, but the show has been on for 10 years, and if it can grab demo sweet spot fans by catering to them in some way, they'll do it. If they want the show to keep going, they have to give younger fans a reason to watch and maybe they'll keep watching as they get older.

It really started with S16 and Zendaya and all the twitter crap.

• Love 1

Thanks for the ratings info. I was under the false impression that ratings have been steadily declining in recent years. These numbers are encouraging to someone who still loves watching DWTS in spite of all the changes and the long list of flaws. I do know that the significant aspect of ratings that matters most to ABC is the percentage of young viewers. Does anyone know what that rating is and how it compares?

Season 12 was the highest rated Season for ratings overall. The ratings took a pretty big dive from Season 12 to 13, evened out for 13 and 14 and then took another big dive in Season 15 (All Stars). They have remained fairly steady since but are on a slowish decline. It's worth noting that TV ratings are in decline in general as people watch TV shows differently than in the past (Netflix, Hulu, online streaming, etc). That is why the "share" of the evening ratings tend to be a better indicator of how a show is doing than the number of total viewers. 

The even seasons (Spring) tend to do better than the odd seasons (Fall). The premiere and finale episodes tend to be the highest rated. Here is a ballpark of the overall average ratings I put together a while ago starting with Season 10. Information before Season 10 is not as easy to find. 

Season 10 - 20.71 million average viewers (no share info)

Season 11 - 20.6 million average viewers (no share info)

Season 12 - 22.4 million average viewers (no share info)

Season 13 - 17.6 million average viewers/3.4 share

Season 14 - 17.0 million average viewers/3.0 share

Season 15 (All Stars) - 13.9 average million viewers/2.3 share

Season 16 - 14.0 average million viewers/2.3 share

Season 17 - 13.7 average million viewers/2.2 share

Season 18 - 14.7 average million viewers/2.3 share

Season 19 - 12.76 average million viewers/2.13 share

Season 20 - 13.59 average million viewers/2.1 share

And here is a list of ratings from the premiere episode from the past few seasons:

Season 13 - 19.3 million/4.0 share

Season 14 - 18.79 million/3.5 share

Season 15  - 14.11 million/2.5 share

Season 16 - 17.06 million/3.2 share

Season 17 - 16.04 million/3.1 share

Season 18 - 15.44 million/2.6 share

Season 19 - 13.64 ratings/2.4 share

Season 20 - 14.1 million/2.1 share

Season 21 - 13.13 million/2.1 share

• Love 1

The ratings for tonight's show should be interesting going against the premieres of the Voice, Big Bang and Monday Night Football. Last week they were only up against the finale of the typically low rated SYTYCD, football, a Big Bang rerun and American Ninja Warrior finale and they still had the lowest premiere ratings that they've ever had and DWTS ratings typically drop from the premiere to episode 2 as it is. 

• Love 1

DWTSGossip tweeted the ratings. https://twitter.com/DWTSGossip/status/646350361075167232 Yikes! DWTS took a drop from 14 million or so to 11.6 million and 1.8 share in the 18-49 age group.

Alfonso returning to DWTS to guest "judge". REALLY?!?!?  He just can't stay away, can he. Now I guess he fashions himself a dance expert?  He's got Tom's old AFV hosting job. Why is he still coming back to DWTS?  Maybe TPTB think all his fans will tune in (for 1 night).  Uggggh. Not a fan.

Ugh, didn't Rob Wade say there weren't going to be any guest judges this season shortly before it started? This show is so spazzy and poorly thought out this year.

Edit: found it.

http://www.tvguide.com/news/dancing-with-the-stars-season-21/

"No guest judges. Despite Len's absence behind the judges' table, the show is breaking from tradition this season and opting not to bring in guest judges to take his place. "Julianne [Hough], Carrie Ann [inaba] and Bruno [Tonioli] are a great judging panel, and they've got a lot of experience between them," Wade says. "Sometimes if you have four judges, their comments can repeat themselves. And that's not really entertaining for the viewer.""

Edited by Saylii
  • Love 1

I'm getting a little sick of Alfonso being crammed down our throats too but I dont really blame him.  I think the show just loves still milking his popularity especially since hes officially part of the ABC family now. They'll probably use this as an opportunity to promote the new AFV which I think starts up next month. I wouldnt expect him to refuse these things they are offering tbh.  There was even a story on E a couple of months ago about how he was involved with the casting, that the producers were calling him asking him for his thoughts on certain contestants.  I remember after I read that it was pretty apparent how the show plans to keep him around a lot.

Alfonso needs to GTFO. He's taken Sabrina's "just can't quit this show" crown. Between the countless audience appearances, the dance with Sadie last finale, the AFV gig, the anniversary dance, I am so sick of him.

Now he'll judge and pretend to be an expert and probably try to make dumb jokes all night, just like when Donny Osmond was a guest judge.

• Love 1