Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

I always said do an All Star season but make it only good dancers that didn't win. Make it like a "second chance" type of thing.

I actually liked All Stars (count me in the likes the watch good dancing camp), but even I felt like they brought back too many winners.

• Love 2

I've always wanted them to have a 2nd chance show, but with all the people that were kicked off first.

That, to me, would be incredibly boring watching a bunch of crappy people compete. The one thing about DWTS that works is the mix of good and bad ones. Too many good ones and it can get boring and predictable, but too many bad ones, and then what's the point.

I think a season of All Stars with just people who made say 6th-2nd place would be great. I can honestly think of so many. I think a great All Stars 2 cast would be:

(Included 2 winners because I think 1 or 2 is ok; 6 winners last All Stars was too much), Plus I think Kristi and J.R would be fun with different partners. At least if you bring back winners, don't give them their original partner)

Men:

1.  Kyle Massey (season 11) *2nd

Lacey Schwimmer

2. J.R. Martinez  (season 13) *1st

Emma Slater

3. Jacoby Jones (season 16) *3rd

Sharna Burgess

4. Lance Bass (season 7) *3rd

Anna Trebunskaya

5. James Maslow (season 18) *4th

Peta Murgatroyd

6. Ralph Macchio (season 12) *4th

Karina Smirnoff

Women:

1. Mel B (season 5) *2nd

Maks Chmerkovskiey

2. Kristi Yamaguchi (season 6) *1st

Sasha Farber

3. Stacy Keibler (season 2) *3rd

Tony Dovolani

4. Mya (season 9) *2nd

Derek Hough

5. Katherine Jenkins (season 14) *2nd

Mark Ballas

6. Zendaya (season 16) *2nd

Val Chmerkovskiey

7. Elizabeth Berkley (season 17) *6th

Artem Chigvintsev

Edited by PBGamer89

Or maybe an "All Ringer" season. Round up a field of ice skaters and ice dancers and gymnasts and Disney kids and up their degree of difficulty. 

That would make the season very unwatchable for me.

I always said do an All Star season but make it only good dancers that didn't win. Make it like a "second chance" type of thing.

I actually liked All Stars (count me in the likes the watch good dancing camp), but even I felt like they brought back too many winners.

But what/who would be considered 'good?'  

Personally my favorites (and the ones I find I root for) are the less technical but more entertaining because you can see the love/joy of dance/movement being discovered; that's why I would rather watch someone like Amy Purdy than Meryl Davis.

Once upon a time, I thought Maks was so hot. Like, weak in the knees, goofy grin, dreamy-eyed hot. Then the Hope Solo fiasco happened and it's amazing how fast a man can go from being attractive to a slug. The fact that Solo pretty much accuses every man she comes in contact with of abuse was moot, it still tainted my opinion of him. He'd won back some goodwill from me when he won the mirrorball with Meryl Davis (she seemed to bring out a good side of him for a few brief months) but he's right back to slug. Go away, Maks, and stay gone.

• Love 1

Wait, those seasons was a censored version of Maks? Well okay then. And how much self-awareness can a person lack - "the show is awful but I'll come back to guest judge so I can get my mug back on television for a few hours at least and get some media attention because otherwise who cares."

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Not to defend Maks, but that interview actually makes sense. It sounds like he takes issue with the show and how it's scripted, which is not really a surprise. He strikes me as the kind of person to not buy into whatever they're trying to sell him as, instead wanting to do anything to win a competition. (Whereas someone like Anna stikes me as not caring about the competition (though it's nice to win) and instead just wants to teach someone to dance the best they can.)

And the stuff with Hope ... well, if she takes issue with and spouts off to the media first chance she gets about how every guy that's ever been in her life is awful and abusive ... at some point I have to think that it's not them, it's her. Honestly, she's always seemed a little vindictive.

But he's completely right about Abby Lee Miller.

• Love 1
It sounds like he takes issue with the show and how it's scripted, which is not really a surprise. He strikes me as the kind of person to not buy into whatever they're trying to sell him as, instead wanting to do anything to win a competition.

And yet he was happy to stay on for many seasons. Then when he left once before all dramatically and insisted he was done and never returning, he was more than happy to pop back in when they handed him a golden ringer who he showmanced all the way to the win and we had to hear ad nauseum about his 10 year journey to win the mirror-ball. And once again, he chose to return as a guest judge.

I am not saying there aren't issues with the show and I'm fine with that being called out but I have never been a fan of biting the hand that feeds you. No matter how special and awesome Maks thinks he is and no matter how many flaws and issues the show has, he would not have the fame which has helped his career, that he has now, without it. So shut it already.

And fyi, this is also why I get annoyed when Shirley Ballas (Mark's mom) goes on her rants on Afterbuzz about the show because it's like, it's so awful but your son will happily stay on it because it gives him a nice paycheck and an avenue to keep trying and sell his "music" career. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Not to defend Maks, but that interview actually makes sense. It sounds like he takes issue with the show and how it's scripted, which is not really a surprise. He strikes me as the kind of person to not buy into whatever they're trying to sell him as, instead wanting to do anything to win a competition. (Whereas someone like Anna stikes me as not caring about the competition (though it's nice to win) and instead just wants to teach someone to dance the best they can.)

I think the broader context matters too. He has said repeatedly that being a competing pro on the show is not a good fit for him. That's different from saying the show is bad or beneath him. It doesn't fit the fact that he says what he wants to say. The People article is actually an example of that too. He did a podcast where he explained a few things in more depth, but it's the outrageous quotes that get picked out along with a strong headline. Maks has said before he doesn't hate the show. He's said he hopes it continues for years because he likes that a dance show is on tv.

Maks' candor is one of the things made the show tolerable for me. I would get bored watching people who give the same stock quotes all the time. It gets too predictable. 

Oh and I have a completely different view of Anna. I agree she takes a different view of the show then Maks does, but I think she is a very competitive person. 

• Love 3

I see nothing wrong with current or former pros talking about what a toxic and manipulative environment the show can be. It has many positive aspects and they talk about that as well, but getting a paycheck doesn't mean you can't ever talk about the fact that the show is scripting, railroading and bullying people to get "dramz". Now with Wade at the helm it's worse than ever on that front. Derek was pretty vocal throughout the last season about the way they were dragging him and Nastia around the block to establish their desired storyline and I didn't think there was anything wrong with that either.

• Love 2

I see nothing wrong with current or former pros talking about what a toxic and manipulative environment the show can be. It has many positive aspects and they talk about that as well, but getting a paycheck doesn't mean you can't ever talk about the fact that the show is scripting, railroading and bullying people to get "dramz". Now with Wade at the helm it's worse than ever on that front. Derek was pretty vocal throughout the last season about the way they were dragging him and Nastia around the block to establish their desired storyline and I didn't think there was anything wrong with that either.

Derek said that he thought the rehearsal package shown for Nastia that night was unfair and didn't truly reflect their experience that week. Plenty of other Pros and celebrities have said this when they have had a negative package - that is fine. But YMMV, I personally think it is ridiculous to slag off and act like a show is just this horrible experience while you are happy to keep staying there, making money from it and gaining success. If it is so "toxic" why continue to feed the machine and help keep it going?  And yes, I know Maks has left as a Pro but again, did someone hold a gun to his head to come back as a guest judge? Again, I am all for taking a stand but I cannot respect doing so while one was all too happy to accept the benefits that came from being a part of said machine. 

• Love 3

Oh and I have a completely different view of Anna. I agree she takes a different view of the show then Maks does, but I think she is a very competitive person.

I agree she's competitive, but I think she's much more level headed about it. It's one thing to push and defend someone like Evan Lysacek, but she was never really like that with Gary Busey, for example. She's much more realistic and is better at tailoring her expectations to the level of her celeb. There's more strategy to a competition than "win, win, win ... we must win at all costs" and I think that's where she and someone like Maks differ.

• Love 1

Derek's blog from this week, combined with the revealed songs, introduces some interesting conundrums for next week

http://www.tvguide.com/news/dancing-derek-hough-week5-blog-bindi-irwin/

If production is telling them to stick as close as possible to the original dance, and it sounds like pretty much mandating the lift to the point of making them go practice it in a lake, why give them rumba? Is Carrie Anne going to lift police this dance? Why not make it a salsa? (Are lifts "allowed" in salsas?) 

This is why I hate the stupid lift "rule" - yes lifts aren't allowed in competition, but there are plenty of times when dances barely have the content of the dances they're "supposed" to have, that don't get called out for "breaking the rules." It just feels like a stupid thing that Carrie Anne gets to feel smug about. Just use "not enough content" as a blanket critique if you feel like someone was egregious with a lift. 

The other dances are curious too - like what is Alexa going to do for I'm a Slave 4 U? She's already used her jazz - a samba maybe? Jailhouse Rock could be a jive... Does almost everyone else have Jazz? 

Yeah, it sounds the usually poorly planned out mess. Though we don't know what "stick closely to the original" means...especially when they told them that but made the Dirty Dancing song into a rumba? That doesn't sound like sticking closely to the original. Perhaps it's more that certain famous elements must be incorporated, not really replicating all of it?

The Britney song could work well as a samba, so I assume that's what they're doing. With the belly dancing elements and so on, that could work nicely. I could perhaps see a cha-cha as well? I don't know how the Magic Mike thing will work, will they just do hip-hop or try to sell it as salsa or? They can't all do jazz and obviously they aren't since I assume Alek has jive and Bindi has rumba, so it's going to be curious how it all plays out. Trying to shove certain moves and themes into specific dance styles could end up supremely awkward. I don't have high hopes for the night.

Edited by katha
  • Love 1

Derek's blog from this week, combined with the revealed songs, introduces some interesting conundrums for next week

If production is telling them to stick as close as possible to the original dance, and it sounds like pretty much mandating the lift to the point of making them go practice it in a lake, why give them rumba? Is Carrie Anne going to lift police this dance? Why not make it a salsa? (Are lifts "allowed" in salsas?) 

This is why I hate the stupid lift "rule" - yes lifts aren't allowed in competition, but there are plenty of times when dances barely have the content of the dances they're "supposed" to have, that don't get called out for "breaking the rules." It just feels like a stupid thing that Carrie Anne gets to feel smug about. Just use "not enough content" as a blanket critique if you feel like someone was egregious with a lift. 

The other dances are curious too - like what is Alexa going to do for I'm a Slave 4 U? She's already used her jazz - a samba maybe? Jailhouse Rock could be a jive... Does almost everyone else have Jazz? 

Okay I'm confused.  Are we talking the overhead lift to "Time of My Life"?  The type of lift Val did with Rumer for Swan Lake last season? In the movie  that was a Mambo not a Rumba.   Lifts allowed in Mambo and Salsa type dances. That's why they did it in Dirty Dancing. It doesn't make sense to turn it into a Rumba.  But in retrospect I guess they might not want a copy of the original so change the dance style. That would make sense.  It's too bad they are doing the lift since CAI will call it.  Of course it won't make a hill of beans difference because they'll get more votes to compensate.   

Edited by Andie1

That doesn't sound like sticking closely to the original. Perhaps it's more that certain famous elements must be incorporated, not really replicating all of it?

This is what I'm hoping. Because really, why make ballroom pros all do jazz, when there's really only one jazz dancer Allison

Edited by Andie1

I didn't see Magic Mike and had never heard of the Pony dance, so I watched it on YouTube. Why give this dance to Carlos who is a conservative Christian? In fact, why give this dance to anyone? Will it be another burlesque? I don't have a clue how this can be "kept close to the original concept" as Derek says they asked him to do with his Rumba which was a Mambo.

The two sexiest dances in fact were given to Carlos and Alexa who will be doing the Britney Spears Slave to You with a snake dance. I was hoping for iconic dances from famous dance movies but it looks like the theme is just famous dances. I was also hoping for old classics but we only got one of those "Good Mornin" from Singing in the Rain.

I do like many of the songs chosen but am seriously wondering which dances will be done to them, and in several cases "how" they will be done. I'm hoping for the best. I thought last week was a disaster waiting to happen and I ended up enjoying it a lot.

I don't get assigning a rumba for Dirty Dancing's Time of My Life dance if they want to keep the dance close to, or even reminiscent of the original.  From Derek's instagram pics, they're obviously including the lift. But even if Lift Police CAI docks a point, I doubt it'll make any difference in the standings.  Team dances will probably be week 7 (Oct. 26) and I'm sure they will want Derek/Bindi as one of the team captains (Derek's "never lost a team dance" record to be continued).  Right now, Derek/Bindi have 169 cumulative points. The next closest cumulative points are Nick/Sharna at 167 points and Alexa/Mark at 165 points.  I would have thought tptb would want to continue the Derek/Val "rivalry" but Tamar/Val's cumulative points are 161.  My guess is Derek/Bindi will stay at least 1 point ahead of the others and we'll see if Nick/Sharna or Alexa/Mark heads up the other team.  **I'm assuming the team dance will be week 7 - I don't have any factual info that this will be so.**

But I do think they need to keep the lift rules otherwise the dances will become lift free-for-alls. The pros know the viewers like them (generally).  If there are no rules, some pros will throw them in all over the place.  We're losing so much of the traditional ballroom dances as it is, IMO, I really would hate to see them devolve any more.

It looks like Alexa is borrowing Bindi's giant snake for her I'm A Slave 4 U (this is a famous dance?). I watched Britney's video for this song and she didn't really dance. She just wriggled around a bit. I'm imagining something more like Salma Hayek's snake dance of From Dusk till Dawn (minus the toe sucking I hope). (Yea, I watched that. A campy funny film if you can get past the blood & gore.)  I just hope Alexa dances before Carlos because I think she'll freak out watching Carlos.

Speaking of Carlos, I didn't see Magic Mike but I did watch the video. How are they going to keep to the original dance? (Again, is this a famous dance?)

Paula dancing to Vogue? Paula? Vogue? Not seeing this working out well at all. Though Anna and Karina are helping her https://instagram.com/p/86YJXmFJna/  From Anna's caption "Watch out! The queen and her girls are coming to your to screen @karina_smirnoff @pauladeen_official @louisvanamstel #vogue #dwts @dancingabc", it looks like they will be dancing with her.

Andy! Andy! Andy! Why can't you have a different partner!  I don't want to think of how Allison is going to handle "Good Morning" at her usual warp speed. Just for fun, here's the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB2yiIoEtXw  I don't know if Allison can tap.

I don't see anything remarkable to be anticipated in any of the other dances.

Edited by Uke

It looks like Alexa is borrowing Bindi's giant snake for her I'm A Slave 4 U (this is a famous dance?). I watched Britney's video for this song and she didn't really dance. She just wriggled around a bit. I'm imagining something more like Salma Hayek's snake dance of From Dusk till Dawn (minus the toe sucking I hope). (Yea, I watched that. A campy funny film if you can get past the blood & gore.)  I just hope Alexa dances before Carlos because I think she'll freak out watching Carlos.

Alexa is specifically doing the VMA performance, not the video. There's a little more dancing in the VMA version, and from the belly dance sections it seems like samba is the logical translation of it for this show? As for how famous, I was in high school for this, and it seemed like a big deal at the time? (But then, many things did, when you're in high school ;) 

Edited by kitcloudkicker

Alexa is specifically doing the VMA performance, not the video. There's a little more dancing in the VMA version, and from the belly dance sections it seems like samba is the logical translation of it for this show? As for how famous, I was in high school for this, and it seemed like a big deal at the time? (But then, many things did, when you're in high school ;) 

Ohhh thanks. I didn't catch that there was a difference.

I found the link:

Do they give those snakes a sedative before putting them on stage? I'd think with all the noise and commotion of the dancing/music/audience etc. that it would agitate the snake.

Edited by Uke

Ohhh thanks. I didn't catch that there was a difference.

(oops. link goes to a Target/porn story)

I found the link:

Do they give those snakes a sedative before putting them on stage? I'd think with all the noise and commotion of the dancing/music/audience etc. that it would agitate the snake.

Haha, whoops, dunno how the link thing happened. Fixed it :)

I don't know about the sedative. They are cold blooded, so maybe they keep them a little cold? The one Britney had was I think a little bit more mild tempered of a snake. I remember watching a behind the scenes thing at the time. (I was definitely onboard the early 2000s Britney train.)

Edited by kitcloudkicker

Honestly, those teams don't surprise me at all. But this is really the first time that I think that maybe Derek's streak might be in trouble, because I don't think Team Nightmare is really at a deficit. (Just keep Allison mostly out of the choreo?)

This ought to be interesting.

Team Who You Gonna Call: Derek likes the regimental, everyone in unison, hide the weak ones in the back type of team dance. Mark likes the creative production, everyone participates at their own skill level type of team dance. I wonder which we'll get. I guess since Bindi/Derek are the team leaders, they'll go with his style? Len always preferred Derek's and Len was the tie breaker.  Now that there's no Len, I guess Julianne is the tie breaker (awkward!)

Team Nightmare: If Sharna (as team leader with Nick) collaborates with Emma to come up with the choreography, it should be entertaining.

Neither team has any seriously weak links so I expect a couple good dances.

I guess since Bindi/Derek are the team leaders, they'll go with his style? Len always preferred Derek's and Len was the tie breaker.  Now that there's no Len, I guess Julianne is the tie breaker (awkward!)

They don't do tie-breaks with the team dances - they just score them and add the scores to each couple's individual dance score. Last season the two teams had the same score. 

I do think this is probably the strongest team dance competition they've had in maybe ever because for the first time in forever, there isn't an obvious weak link celebrity still in the competition. 

Edited by truthaboutluv

Yeah, they're pretty evenly matched, but any way you sliced the final 8 this year would be pretty easily matched. Maybe a slight edge to the Ghostbusters team based on music? It's got a better groove to it. In full disclosure I really hated Nightmare Before Christmas, so I may be biased. But then, Ghostbusters might end up a bit predictable and you might be able to get a bit more out of the box with the other one. 

Now the show has gone and done it, I am going to have to pull for Golden Boy's team because Mark/Alexa are on there, along with Carlos and Alek.  Guess I will just ignore Bindi.

I love that shot of Carlos and Alexa!

They don't do tie-breaks with the team dances - they just score them and add the scores to each couple's individual dance score. Last season the two teams had the same score. 

I do think this is probably the strongest team dance competition they've had in maybe ever because for the first time in forever, there isn't an obvious weak link celebrity still in the competition. 

Oh right.  Maybe it was the dance-off I was thinking of.  I remember Nastia got immunity for something.

Looks like video views won't matter anymore. It seems like the official DWTS YouTube account has wiped out all the videos of the dances, even past seasons.

How sad! I don't know why they seem to always do this on YouTube. Do they not realize that's kind of the point of YouTube? 

You know I try not to be cynical but with the quickness of this engagement ending, it makes it seem even more likely that this was an engagement for viewer votes and that is just VERY, VERY sad. To get engaged just to win a tacky mirrorball trophy and he still didn't win. Ah, poor Nastia, her boyfriend waited about two weeks too late to propose. 

• Love 6

I don't know if he did it for votes...but I remember it certainly felt that way.  I didn't want to be that poster that was just "hating" on him either...but my cold cynical heart has watched this show enough...that I did doubt it.  My first thought was...."that's nice...he just edged out Nastia and will advance because he'll get the votes."

• Love 1

It's true though, that perfectly timed engagement likely gave him the edge over Nastia when the scores were so very close. All the casual voters who fall for that stuff likely gave him so many votes because of it.

I'll be forever pissed about his entire DWTS journey, it all just seemed like one long patronizing, vote getting nonsense, between Jamie surprising him Week 2 and the semis proposal, and the endless "you're so brave, here's a 9/10", it's prime example as to why I have issues with those types of contestants. At least Amy Purdy could dance.

• Love 5

Ha.  I was just searching for info on their engagement this last week.  Noah was posting pictures at one of the Disney theme parks that just screamed "SINGLE!" to me.  I thought my radar for that kind of stuff was broken, but apparently not.

From what I had read at the time, the producers were going to give Noah time on the results show to propose to Jamie properly on stage, after the votes had already been cast and the proposal would have no effect on them.  But Noah and Sharna came up with the idea to propose after the dance when Jamie was backstage.  It was unclear if Erin knew about it or suspected they might try to pull it off.  

It's true though, that perfectly timed engagement likely gave him the edge over Nastia when the scores were so very close. All the casual voters who fall for that stuff likely gave him so many votes because of it.

I'll be forever pissed about his entire DWTS journey, it all just seemed like one long patronizing, vote getting nonsense, between Jamie surprising him Week 2 and the semis proposal, and the endless "you're so brave, here's a 9/10", it's prime example as to why I have issues with those types of contestants. At least Amy Purdy could dance.

Noah was so much better than Amy Purdy IMO.  She is the one who was coddled and overscored due to her partner.

Ha.  I was just searching for info on their engagement this last week.  Noah was posting pictures at one of the Disney theme parks that just screamed "SINGLE!" to me.  I thought my radar for that kind of stuff was broken, but apparently not.

This asswipe was twice married before the "proposal" on air.  He's a player all right. 

See the Disney pics made me feel the opposite. Jamie was there as well and the pics of the two of them along with his children made it look like everything was great, especially the ones Jamie posted that really gave the 'happy family' vibe. That was only a couple of weeks ago so I wonder what happened since.

Noah was so much better than Amy Purdy IMO.  She is the one who was coddled and overscored due to her partner.

I have to emphatically disagree with you on this. I have no use for Amy, but she could actually dance, Noah never danced, just swayed back and forth and received 10's.

I'm not suprised over this broken engagement, to be honest, Noah seems like a jerk to me.

• Love 2