Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E04: Jonah Hill / Maggie Rogers

• Start Topic

I was thinking the cold open might be Trump vs Oprah, but as I just said in the cast thread, I'm not sure Alec will be up to appearing tomorrow night.

Who shows up to give Jonah his Five-Timers Jacket? 

23 hours ago, JZL said:

"Oh for threee . . "  Good stuff. 

Ariana apparently was not amused by that promo. God, they're such petty children. Who was Pete's first engagement? 

At least they can't circle jerk him about the engagement anymore. He'll ride the exposure boost regardless. If they had gotten married, the opening credits would've become all shots of Pete walking around NYC.

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, vb68 said:

I was thinking the cold open might be Trump vs Oprah, but as I just said in the cast thread, I'm not sure Alec will be up to appearing tomorrow night.

Who shows up to give Jonah his Five-Timers Jacket? 

Emma Stone?  Does it have to be a Five-Timer?  (You'd think so)  Is she?  Where does look up such things?

1 hour ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Ariana apparently was not amused by that promo. God, they're such petty children. Who was Pete's first engagement? 

At least they can't circle jerk him about the engagement anymore. He'll ride the exposure boost regardless. If they had gotten married, the opening credits would've become all shots of Pete walking around NYC.

" . . . petty children."  Concur.

The "first engagement" is a reference to Cassie David or whatever Larry David's daughter's name is.  They were a thing for a fair amount of time, but I'm not sure if they were engaged per se

• Love 1

Cold Open: I guess tyhey had to scrap anything with Trump at the last minute thanks to Alec Baldwin's antics but frankly, this was better for it. This was great and sad since I could really see this happening. It's Laura Ingraham after all. Loved the sponsors: Warm Ice Cream, White Castle (a castle for whites? Yes, please), Medical Sneakers. Gotta love that last second slam at Alec Baldwin. Poor Canteen Boy.

Monologue: Yeah, weird that Jonah Hill is now a Five Timer, and NOW we get a Five Timers Club sketch. But I did like that Tina Fey, Candace Bergen, and Drew Barrymore were all here. Time's up for Steve Martin, I guess. He'll just say that he'll play the banjo...and he'll just start playing! No consent whatsoever. Yeah, Alec Baldwin's a five timer, too, and a rare member of the Ten Timers club. And of course he's not mentioned AT ALL. Can Candace Bergen just take over as host? Jonah seemed like he didn't want to be there.

I'm Six: Oh no, he's back. Leslie just broke way too quickly, and Jonah was just egging her on to keep laughing. I was not into this sketch at all. Hell, I switched over to Mob Psycho 100 and I almost didn't switch back.

Blue Wave: Cat rolled its eyes, and I am right there with it. I want this election to be over already. This was totally spot on with the emotions for the midterms, and I hope everything goes well on Tuesday. Doesn't help that this sketch was followed by three actual attack ads.

KCR News: Just a big awkward sandwich. I liked seeing Jonah wearing green...and then going in front of the green screen. Cecily, why did you not only say yes, and wanted to be the one to ask the question?!

Divided We Stand: Some writer has it out for off-off broadway plays. Loved the audience reactions to this. "Jesus Christ." - The New York Times. 

Teacher Fell Down: Weird SNL showed up way earlier than usual. Thank god. What the hell did I just watch? I liked that it was a Driver's Ed class. But really...what was that? Usually letting Kate be weird for a few minutes it a recipe for success, but not here. (EDIT: I'll admit it's started to grow on me)

WU: The jokes just write themselves. And way to just say that voting doesn't really matter, and being self-aware about it just doesn't help. Loved seeing Pete describing various candidates, ending with himself (definitely for the best). Peter King is MY congressman, and "if a cigar came to life" sums him up perfectly. And of my god Brittany the Law & Order teen murder suspect was incredible. The ugly crying was just the perfect icing on the cake. And of course we couldn't have a Red Sox victory without Big Papi. Again, loved his ads. He's not a spokesman, he does ads for Spokes.

America's Got Talent: Wait, They're Good?: It's like an entire montage of Susan Boyles. I liked how they pretty much nail how everyone always seems to be shocked when someone turns out to be good. Kyle as Howie looked a lot like Rusty Venture if he didn't have the beard, and really acted like him during those first rounds.

HuckaPM: "How does Sarah Huckabee Sanders sleep at night?" Why was this at 10-to-1? Aidy just killed this one. Just putting her through all that pain must've been cathartic.

Pug Wigs: Now THIS is a 10-to-1 I've been expecting. Exaggerated Italian accents, pugs, pugs in wigs, pug beards, and being essentially a pug version of Whiskers R We. It had it all.

Well, this was certainly...something. It started well, ended well, but the rest? Ehhh. Update was good? Liev Shreiber hosts next week.

Edited by Galileo908
  • Love 11

That was a funny line that Keenan had about how SNL is his show and he lets the hosts into the 5-timers club.  He’s earned it. Also glad that Candice Bergen and Drew Barrymore finally got the respect that they deserve as five timers, after so many of these sketches with Steve, Tom, et al.  Actually, I guess Candice has been in one of these before, now that I think on it.  Still cool that this was ladies’ night, though.

The cast really had the giggles tonight.  They seriously need to work on that.  Sometimes a sketch is a minor disaster, and laughing doesn’t really hurt it, but tonight, I think it actively hurt several of them.  I mean, aside from pug wigs, because how do you keep a straight face for that?

I don’t have the best ear for pitch, but on the first song, I thought Maggie Rogers had the best recovery from sounding hella flat to on pitch that I had ever heard on the show.

I think the HuckaPM sketch would have been improved by ending immediately after the first time she took the pills and Cecily was explaining what was in them (melatonin, extra strength quaaludes and “one and dones”).  It was funny to see her collapse and roll off the bed, but the other scenes (over railings and off the table) didn’t add much.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 8

Pugs are always funny. ALWAYS. And I'm sure one of them was the pug from the "Talking Dog Likes Trump" sketch.

Also, HuckaPM for the win. Because she sucks, and Aidy does a good job skewering her. Also, she's not afraid of falling down like the guys.

Really hoping Pete is okay. He didn't bring up Staten Island's congressional race, which is my district. Probably for the best.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:01 PM, JZL said:

The "first engagement" is a reference to Cassie David or whatever Larry David's daughter's name is.  They were a thing for a fair amount of time, but I'm not sure if they were engaged per se

Having Larry David as a father-in-law. It would probably be like having the Curb Your Enthusiasm music blaring all the time.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 6

Ideally, Alec Baldwin's arrest and the Pete/Ariana breakup will force SNL to stop existing on chasing headlines and winking at itself for chasing headlines.

Baldwin hasn't been of any comedic value to SNL in over 20 years, in spite of Lorne Michaels spending the last decade giving him one career boost after another. I don't think Alec Baldwin is funny, and I don't like watching him, period. If only I thought SNL would finally move on from his Trump, or, in an even more ideal world, move on from Trump jokes entirely if what they've had the last 3 years is the best on offer. 

The Pete/Ariana stuff in the first weeks of the season was consistently dull, desperate, and crass, although that now feels like warming up - I don't think you can get any more crass than Grande releasing a song that name-drops her recently dead ex off the back of an attention-seeking promo from SNL. It's just tacky beyond belief, just as Davidson's comments about her earlier this season were tacky. I'm glad he took the high road on WU tonight and I hope this is the very last we ever hear of this relationship. I wouldn't be surprised if Ariana skips SNL entirely (unless she is that desperate for publicity). If so, I can't say it's much of a loss.

Jonah Hill is as funny as he ever was - not much at all. 

In more positive news, I loved seeing Candice Bergen pop up as one of the 5-timers. When I was a little boy, the only "classic" SNL outlets I had were the half-hour reruns that used to air on Nick at Nite. Candice Bergen was in a lot of that material, as she was also in a lot of the SNL Christmas clip show that aired in the early '90s. As a result, for a number of years I actually thought she was a cast member. She was one of my favorite hosts of that era, and some of her appearances, like the group number for "Winter Wonderland," are among my favorite SNL memories of all time. I'm so happy that she got this little honor, as silly as it may seem.

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 8

I thought it had it's moments. It was just a typical show. Not the best. Certainly not the worst.

The Cold Open was just OK. I don't think Laura is Kate's best character. It's like Laura ingraham after a few dozen sedatives. Heh. Cecily did what she could. Genuinely surprised that they didn't include Leslie as Oprah.  loved the on point callback to Canteen Boy, which was controversial in it's day.

Enjoyed the 2018 version of the Five Timers Club. First time Drew appears in one of these, and I just love seeing Candice Bergen on the show. That made the whole night for me. I do agree that Jonah was just walking through it. No real excitement from him at all.

Of course he does his super annoying "I'm Six!!" character. I get the impression that he thinks this is his Matt Foley or something. It felt under rehearsed, and my station came in late.  I wanted Leslie's character to haul off and smack him.

The Blue Wave short felt a little close to home. Well I get the nervousness.

I wonder who wrote that teacher sketch. One of the weirder concepts for a sketch that I've seen in awhile. Felt like something Will Forte might do, but it would be even darker.

Of course Pete had a commentary on Update. It was fine, and he wanted to take the higher ground  this time.  Well I bet Lorne told him that hey they support him and all that, but they would like Ariana to come back sometime. It might take a few times at bat, but I bet what he really thinks will start leaking out eventually. It always does with Pete.

I was very happy to see Melissa finally appear on Update, and it was pretty good.

America's Got Talent was funnier than it had any right to be. Kyle as Howie Mandel made me laugh. Lots of Kyle in general tonight. I noticed some of the wigs suit him better than his actual hair. Cecily going from "Nell" to full on singing made me laugh. But they should have embraced the movie and had her sing "Crazy" by Patsy Cline. I mean, that's an easy one. 

Nobody hugged Candice Bergen in the goodbyes. For shame. Please come back and host again, Candy!

Edited by vb68
  • Love 11

I expected more from the show before the election. 

I hated the Benihana sketch. 

1 minute ago, vb68 said:

I wonder who wrote that teacher sketch. One of the weirder concepts for a sketch that I've seen in awhile. Felt like something Will Forte might do, but it would be even darker.

That WAS odd. So odd that my mind started wandering. How many years has it been since they taught ten-and-two for hand position on the steering wheel? Not since airbags became prevalent, anyway. 

I liked the Albany news show/proposal sketch. Is that how Albany's pronounced-- Ahlbany? I always thought it was like Ollbany. 

The terrible off-Broadway show sketch was funny, except for the "Who's [sic] parents paid for this?" SNL, I thought we were better than that. 

The Democrats' emotions before the election video made me laugh. 

• Love 3

It may or may not have been appropriate for Pete to make a serious announcement regarding the breakup, but since the show capitalized on it so much, it seems he felt he had to address it. I hope it will help him move on, but he had a catch in his voice when he was wishing her well. Hang in there, Pete.

I've been watching SNL since its original incarnation in the 70s, so I've seen them do every type of political humor. I genuinely find it painful to watch now though, because I don't need a comedy sketch show to continually tell me how to vote, and in such a heavy-handed way that it feels like one continuous political ad. 

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

I thought it was weird for Pete to get all serious about Arianna and wish her well and all.  Why mention it at all?  It's a comedy show, not a vehicle to send a message to your ex-fiancee.

I'm sure Pete does want to look like a good guy, but I really do think it was probably show mandated after she got publicly pissed at the promo. They at least want the possibility of her coming back as a musical guest.

Oh yeah, I want Jonah's shirt in the goodbyes. That was awesome. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6

I don't know who Maggie Rogers is and I've never heard her music before (but it was much preferable over the crappy rap they've had on the show... oh great, lil wayne is on next week...), but oh boy did that first song start out with her being horribly flat. I couldn't tell if she was that purposefully flat/off-key and if that's a new-edgy hipster singer thing, or if she just couldn't find the right pitch while singing live? Also, did it seem like her second song wasn't completely over when the audience started clapping and she was about to sing/say something more but then stopped herself because of the clapping?

WU was my favorite of the night, although I didn't mind the cold open. "Hope and Unity" in Florida - yeah, the joke really does write itself, doesn't? 

Edited by MVFrostsMyPie
  • Love 7

My favorite sketches Kate's teacher on the floor sketch and Melissa's "Every Teenage Murder Suspect on Law & Order" character on WU.

Also liked Che rant about "Megan" voting in New York instead of Ohio where it would actually make a difference and how Red states stay red because parents send their liberal kids away to the coastal cities to study improv!

I actually thought the "0 for 3" line in the promo was funny but was afraid Pete would have a "Woe is me, my beautiful, rich fiancee broke up with me" and try to get some sympathy. I'm glad he took the high road.

I like Jonah Hill a lot(his playing with the gun bit in This is the End still makes me laugh) but I don't think he's a great host.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Also loved Pug Wigs and Beards. Though I really thought that Tina Turner wig was supposed to be Phyllis Diller.

Oh, how did I forget that. First, the first pug that they called ugly, and the audience was like OH NO SHE'S GORGEOUS. Loved the "Rachel" wig. 

Edited by Mystery
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Mystery said:

I liked the Albany news show/proposal sketch. Is that how Albany's pronounced-- Ahlbany? I always thought it was like Ollbany. 

I didn't watch this yet,  but I've lived in the Albany area since 2001. It is ALL-binny. Frequently mispronounced as AL-binny.

I don't usually like Jonah Hill. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: I guess tyhey had to scrap anything with Trump at the last minute thanks to Alec Baldwin's antics but frankly, this was better for it. This was great and sad since I could really see this happening. It's Laura Ingraham after all. Loved the sponsors: Warm Ice Cream, White Castle (a castle for whites? Yes, please), Medical Sneakers. Gotta love that last second slam at Alec Baldwin. Poor Canteen Boy.

Monologue: Yeah, weird that Jonah Hill is now a Five Timer, and NOW we get a Five Timers Club sketch. But I did like that Tina Fey, Candace Bergen, and Drew Barrymore were all here. Time's up for Steve Martin, I guess. He'll just say that he'll play the banjo...and he'll just start playing! No consent whatsoever. Yeah, Alec Baldwin's a five timer, too, and a rare member of the Ten Timers club. And of course he's not mentioned AT ALL. Can Candace Bergen just take over as host? Jonah seemed like he didn't want to be there.

I'm Six: Oh no, he's back. Leslie just broke way too quickly, and Jonah was just egging her on to keep laughing. I was not into this sketch at all. Hell, I switched over to Mob Psycho 100 and I almost didn't switch back.

Blue Wave: Cat rolled its eyes, and I am right there with it. I want this election to be over already. This was totally spot on with the emotions for the midterms, and I hope everything goes well on Tuesday. Doesn't help that this sketch was followed by three actual attack ads.

KCR News: Just a big awkward sandwich. I liked seeing Jonah wearing green...and then going in front of the green screen. Cecily, why did you not only say yes, and wanted to be the one to ask the question?!

Divided We Stand: Some writer has it out for off-off broadway plays. Loved the audience reactions to this. "Jesus Christ." - The New York Times. 

Teacher Fell Down: Weird SNL showed up way earlier than usual. Thank god. What the hell did I just watch? I liked that it was a Driver's Ed class. But really...what was that? Usually letting Kate be weird for a few minutes it a recipe for success, but not here. (EDIT: I'll admit it's started to grow on me)

WU: The jokes just write themselves. And way to just say that voting doesn't really matter, and being self-aware about it just doesn't help. Loved seeing Pete describing various candidates, ending with himself (definitely for the best). Peter King is MY congressman, and "if a cigar came to life" sums him up perfectly. And of my god Brittany the Law & Order teen murder suspect was incredible. The ugly crying was just the perfect icing on the cake. And of course we couldn't have a Red Sox victory without Big Papi. Again, loved his ads. He's not a spokesman, he does ads for Spokes.

America's Got Talent: Wait, They're Good?: It's like an entire montage of Susan Boyles. I liked how they pretty much nail how everyone always seems to be shocked when someone turns out to be good. Kyle as Howie looked a lot like Rusty Venture if he didn't have the beard, and really acted like him during those first rounds.

HuckaPM: "How does Sarah Huckabee Sanders sleep at night?" Why was this at 10-to-1? Aidy just killed this one. Just putting her through all that pain must've been cathartic.

Pug Wigs: Now THIS is a 10-to-1 I've been expecting. Exaggerated Italian accents, pugs, pugs in wigs, pug beards, and being essentially a pug version of Whiskers R We. It had it all.

Well, this was certainly...something. It started well, ended well, but the rest? Ehhh. Update was good? Liev Shreiber hosts next week.

I am a pug owner and loved the pug sketch. Maggie Rogers seems weird but she is a good singer.

• Love 3

Maggie Rogers just seems like a poor man's Florence Welch to me.

I hate the "obnoxious 6-year-old" sketch with Jonah and don't know why they decided to make it recurring, but I did find Leslie's breaking funny for once. Speaking of which, did the entire cast bong rip with Jonah and Pete before the show? Everyone was giggling, including Kate, who never breaks. And during sketches that weren't even that funny. It was weird.

PLEASE let that be the last reference to Pete & Ariana. Lorne is just pissed Pete fucked him out of a high profile musical guest.

The best part of the ep was Law & Order Teen (although Fallen Teacher was amusing). "I just stabbed Logan as a joke, but then she took it the wrong way and started bleeding!"

• Love 7

I never made it to the part where others reference that Maggie Rogers stopped sounding flat in her first song. My ears were bleeding so I had to fast forward that crap. And it was so bad I decided not to give the second song a chance and ff it. 

That teacher sketch was a total head scratcher for me. I loved the pug wigs ones. I love pugs so much.

i wish Pete would have stuck to the purpose of his appearance on WU. Just move on already. 

• Love 4

This was definitely better than the previous episodes this season, but that's not saying much. The only sketch that was a complete dud for me was the local news one. "'Jesus Christ'--New York Times" was the best joke for me even if we've seen that type of thing a bunch before.

Can we stop with Pete on Update for a while now? He's had a mini-monologue in 3 of the 4 episodes. Also, it might be best for the show if Lorne can rein in Pete's breaking on camera since it seems like it's affecting everybody else. Leslie has always broken too, but she at least seems to know she shouldn't be doing it, Pete just sits there grinning or laughing openly.

• Love 9

I haven't been on this forum in forever but I'm sitting here watching on DVR while having my coffee and I was so impressed by how good the ep was I logged in to see what some of the PTV'ers thought of it and...apparently none of you enjoyed it as much as I did LOL. Not even the America's Got Talent sketch? Cecily as Nell breaking out into Send In The Clowns?! Come on guys that's good stuff.

Totally agree with a previous poster about Maggie Rogers being a welcome change from the Kanye's and Travis Scott's...I really liked the 2nd song. 

• Love 8

Candice Bergen was awful.  She wasn't ready and boffed some good lines.  Barrymore started glancing over at her just to see if Bergen was going to say the next line.  I got the impression she was the one who didn't want to be there.  Maybe that's why no one hugged her at the end.

The show was mixed, and when it was bad it was pretty bad.  The fallen teacher sketch-- nice try?  It was confusing, not funny.  The CO was great and so was the Dem midterm sketch.  The weather proposal sketch was meh. 

WU was generally good.  I think (and hope) Pete was graciously closing the door on the Ariana Grande stuff.  The Law & Order bit had no business being on WU.  They were probably just too lazy to develop the bit into an actual sketch, which is a shame because it had promise. 

This is shaping up to be the worst season in five years.  They had two weeks off and the ep was at best slightly above average. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

The cast really had the giggles tonight.  They seriously need to work on that.  Sometimes a sketch is a minor disaster, and laughing doesn’t really hurt it, but tonight, I think it actively hurt several of them.

I noticed this too! A lot of giggling amongst the cast members. Not even 5 minutes in and Kate McKinnon almost lost it as Laura Ingraham.

9 hours ago, Negritude said:

I haven't been on this forum in forever but I'm sitting here watching on DVR while having my coffee and I was so impressed by how good the ep was I logged in to see what some of the PTV'ers thought of it and...apparently none of you enjoyed it as much as I did LOL.

It wasn’t their best but for the most part I enjoyed it. I was hollerrringggg at the “HuckaPM” sketch. That was a job well done. I think Chris Farley would be proud of those falls ??

• Love 7
51 minutes ago, Negritude said:

Not even the America's Got Talent sketch? Cecily as Nell breaking out into Send In The Clowns?! Come on guys that's good stuff.

Yeah, I agree. I really enjoyed that.

7 minutes ago, JZL said:

The Law & Order bit had no business being on WU. 

Why? WU is always a haven for characters like that. It was about time for Melissa to get a character on Update, three plus years into her tenure. That's a welcome to the cast moment.

Also disagree slightly on Candice. She was fine. She always has a certain stiffness about her, but she makes it work. Loved her line about thinking Jonah and Seth were the same person because I use to get them confused, too. Her "sure" that she knew Jonah's work was perfect. 

• Love 11
1 minute ago, vb68 said:
15 minutes ago, JZL said:

The Law & Order bit had no business being on WU. 

Why? WU is always a haven for characters like that. It was about time for Melissa to get a character on Update, three plus years into her tenure. That's a welcome to the cast moment.

Yeah and I haven't watched a Law & Order show in years but it was very accurate to what I remember.

12 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

The cast really had the giggles tonight.  They seriously need to work on that.  Sometimes a sketch is a minor disaster, and laughing doesn’t really hurt it, but tonight, I think it actively hurt several of them.  I mean, aside from pug wigs, because how do you keep a straight face for that?

17 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

I noticed this too! A lot of giggling amongst the cast members. Not even 5 minutes in and Kate McKinnon almost lost it as Laura Ingraham.

I wonder if it was relief and euphoria over not having to work with Alec Baldwin this week?

• Love 5

Loved the Off-Broadway sketch!  Also loved the Dem mid-term ad (even though it hits close to my feelings).  Mr ebk came home from work during the fallen teacher sketch, so I missed it, and from reading here, I won't bother to go back and watch.  I also thought the musical guest started out sounding reeeeally bad, so stopped paying attention to her.  Overall, the show was fine.  A bit better than the shows so far, but just okay.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Mystery said:

The terrible off-Broadway show sketch was funny, except for the "Who's [sic] parents paid for this?" SNL, I thought we were better than that.

I was about 50-50 on whether they did that on purpose, but maybe I'm giving them too much credit.

• Love 3

We have to get these midterms over--TWICE I thought I was watching an SNL sketch and it was some political idiot staring at the camera and lying through his teeth for real.

Speaking of which, count me in for any sketch slamming SHS.  "How do you sleep at night?" was a perfect product slogan.

Pug rugs:  LOL

• Love 8
44 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Why? WU is always a haven for characters like that.

Yes, and it shouldn't be.  If a bit fits with current events or culture, that's fine.  But as a place to tuck weak or undeveloped bits and characters, it sucks.  Even Bill Hader has said so.  At least at first, he didn't think Stefon was all that good, was too weak for its own sketch, and was surprised it took off like it did.  I never cared for Stefon that much, especially after the first 10 times they did it, but arguably it was about current events and culture (even if fictional), and in the end they did develop the bit into this thing between Seth and Stefon.  It may be "the exception that justifies the rule."  Conversely, I love Cathy Ann, and in her own weird sideways way, she's usually talking about something current. 

The Law & Order bit was just something they shoved into WU because they had no where else to put it.  It was lazy writing.

• Love 1

My only slight quibble with the Law & Order bit is that it is about 5 years too late, given that it was such an original L&O trope, and that show has been off the air for years.  But we’re probably all familiar with the reruns, so it is still relatable.

Someone on the writing staff seems to be a fan of L&O, though, because in addition to that bit, the “Divided We Stand” off-Broadway play was at the “Mariska Hargitay” theater, lol.  Jonah dressed up and rapping as Lin Manuel Miranda was very funny.  Aside from “ ‘Jesus Christ’ — The New York Times,” my favorite part was Alex Moffat’s audience reaction when he says, “I guess the worst part of the play was their confidence in it” as he kind of zoned out and looked off to the side like he was reliving the experience of watching it again.  Hehe.

• Love 11

I saw the end again this morning when my friend was watching, and Jonah did hug Candice. She was looking down at her phone as soon as the show was done, so maybe other people didn't try. I was looking at her, not Jonah, so I didn't see if he hugged anyone before her, but she was definitely one of the first people he hugged. 

She's not the person I would have picked for "couldn't look up from her phone at the end of the show." But there you go. 

I wonder if she and Drew were last-minute 5th jacket replacements for Alec and anyone else (as if the show decided to cover his absence by using only women?) 

• Love 4

the off-broadway sketch I thought was really funny. I loved the pull quotes and opening night audience reactions, as well as the references to Hamilton and Wicked.

The Fox News cold opening isn't even an exaggeration of Laura Inghram and that;s scary.

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 6

This episode was garbage. This season is garbage.

Everything was just so...off. So many missed cues. So much breaking. The cold open clearly had a joke change in the part where Ingraham was giving false voting information to black and Hispanic people: Kate was saying that they had already voted, but the chyron was telling them they could vote by phone. And so many sketches felt like they were starting already 30 seconds in...I couldn't tell if that was poor writing or transitions.

Tina, Candice, and Drew are a power trio for the ages. Jonah has no business being in the same league as them in any respect, including as a Five Timer. Has he ever been that critically acclaimed as a host? I really don't get how he's made it to this point.

Divided We Stand was the high point of the night. It felt like the too-woke theater students all grown up, which I liked.

I've asked this before, but is "clueless moron" just a comedic persona that Michael puts on, or is he really that much of an idiot? I'm a "Megan" who left her swing state hometown for New York because that's where the opportunities in my career field (not improv) are and where all my friends live. I'm not gonna stay and be miserable in suburban Philadelphia just to offset the people out in the sticks with my blue vote, especially since PA has gone blue for every presidential election in my life except 2016, when I did vote there and it didn't help that much, did it? This just felt like another opportunity for him to lash out at the comedy bloggers he has a weirdly personal vendetta against. Also, does he not know there are ways to distinguish between male and female penguins (or any animal species) based on appearance and behavior? Like, people who study penguins know when they're looking at two dudes, dude.

Oh, and Pete? Your relationship with Ariana seemed to be our business when you wouldn't shut up about it the first three episodes of this season, but now that it's crashed and burned like everybody predicted it would, you want your privacy? Whatever, I was fine to never hear anything about y'all anyway so this better be the last of it.

As a watcher of America's Got Talent, I appreciated the call-out of the "they seem like they won't be good OH MY GOD THEY'RE GOOD" trope that the show can't help itself from running into the ground. I did think some of the bit was sloppily but together. A lot of the contestants they showed (including this year's winner Shin Lim) do not fall into that category, and they probably shouldn't have used a clip of Michael Ketterer, who got the cops called on him for a domestic disturbance where the evidence available to the public points to him hitting his wife the night after he came in fifth.

Oh, Show. SHS does not need horse-tranquilizer-strength meds to sleep at night. She's very comfortable with what she's doing.

I like Liev Schreiber but I am not confident he can deliver us from this rut next week.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Only without the good voice....

I was also getting poor man’s Sissy Spaesek’s “Carrie” escaped from the mental hospital when she was adding those s****** dance moves. 

Breaking character used to be something that was done on rare occasions. It really drags down the show when it’s done consistently, and by the worst performers (looking at you Pete Davidson)!

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I thought it was weird for Pete to get all serious about Arianna and wish her well and all.  Why mention it at all?  It's a comedy show, not a vehicle to send a message to your ex-fiancee.

True, but that ship sailed awhile ago. I took it as him and the show basically saying they realized they had crossed the line and weren't going to go there anymore. It wasn't just a message to her, but to the show biz press/blogs and us in the audience as well. Basically a public apology for public stupidity.

• Love 4

I think the only sketch I really enjoyed was America's Got Talent, with Keenan jumping out from a coma to sing, even though you could see it coming.

Pete almost had to say something about the breakup, considering how big of a deal they made of it earlier in the season.

Maggie Rogers I didn't "get" at all.  As someone noted, she started out that first song very off pitch, although I don't hold that against her.  Maybe she had trouble hearing, could have been a tech glitch.

Edited by rmontro
  • Love 2
On 11/4/2018 at 1:08 PM, Peace 47 said:

Someone on the writing staff seems to be a fan of L&O, though, because in addition to that bit, the “Divided We Stand” off-Broadway play was at the “Mariska Hargitay” theater, lol.

Nice catch!

On 11/4/2018 at 2:31 PM, helenamonster said:

1) This episode was garbage. This season is garbage . . .  Everything was just so...off. So many missed cues. So much breaking . . .

2) I've asked this before, but is "clueless moron" just a comedic persona that Michael puts on, or is he really that much of an idiot? I'm a "Megan" who left her swing state hometown for New York because that's where the opportunities in my career field (not improv) are and where all my friends live . . .

3) Oh, Show. SHS does not need horse-tranquilizer-strength meds to sleep at night. She's very comfortable with what she's doing.

4) I like Liev Schreiber but I am not confident he can deliver us from this rut next week.

1) Yeah, I now remember thinking that while watching.  It isn't just the writing.  "We don't go on because we're ready, we go on because it's 11:30."  So true this year.  They're like a poorly coached sports team.

2)  Maybe some day coastal types will get over this.  Remarkably, Bill Maher finally has to a degree (See:  Live from Oklahoma).  There are smart people all over.  There are liberals and moderates all over. 

3)  "What-- me worry?"  Lying to The Enemies of the People to get Fox News soundbites is probably her dream job. 

4)  Lorne to his producers:  "The show's in a bit of a tailspin.  Who can we get to pull us out of it?"

On 11/4/2018 at 3:46 PM, rmontro said:

Maggie Rogers I didn't "get" at all.  As someone noted, she started out that first song very off pitch, although I don't hold that against her.  Maybe she had trouble hearing, could have been a tech glitch.

Her Youtube vids are decent if you're into that, so this was a surprise.  I almost went and got the wife.  "Is it me, or is she singing off-key or flat or what?"

Edited by JZL
  • Love 2