Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E04: Jonah Hill / Maggie Rogers

• Start Topic

Pete Davison lost his father in the 911 terrorist attacks. That is his chief claim to fame beside briefly dating some pop starlet. It was his entree into the comedy scene and he milked it for sympathy in his half ass comedy career. Many others who lost someone enlisted in the Armed Forces. Did volunteer work. Aided in the clean up even though there were health risks. He told lame jokes.

In his weekend update he mocked a Navy Seal who did five tours overseas and  lost an eye to enemy action. He specifically mocked his wounds.

How does he still have a job? This is far worse than tweets that other got mega stars fired and their top rated shows canceled.  This the arrogant pissant in all his glory:

Yeah. Whatever.

• Love 11

I agree with Langford Peel regarding Pete mocking a Navy Seal who endured four tours and lost an eye in service to our country. Crenshaw is a hero, as is Pete's dad. Although one survived with a catastrophic injury, and one perished, they both put themselves in harm's way to benefit the rest of us. So Pete, although I like you, that "whatever" about a wounded warrior was not okay.

I'm a lifelong New Yorker. I lost 10 people I knew on 9/11, most of them with young children. Everyone reacts differently. Some of those kids have grown up to join the police or fire departments. Some to the military. Others were destroyed and suffer the way Pete does. I can't judge them or the choices they have made, but if anyone should know better, it's someone who lost a firefighter father on September 11th.

• Love 11

In the Albany sketch, as soon as Jonah's character came out wearing a lime green sweater, I knew they would be doing a green screen joke.  His floating head was still funny though.

Pete's standup during WU was painful.  I'm not a fan of mocking politicians for their appearance.  Someone like Colbert will introduce a politician that way, but will immediately pivot to something of substance.  Pete was just surface level mockery all the way.  It's just lazy comedy.

I remember the infamous Canteen Boy sketch and Alec's subsequent monologue apology for it.  I feel old.

Edited by futurechemist
  • Love 4

In what world is it ok to mock someone who lost an eye in service to the US?  It’s acceptable humor because the guy has to wear an eye patch?  How is it different from someone who lost a limb and wears a prosthesis — is it also ok to make fun of them?  Low, low, low blow, Pete and cheap, lazy attempt at getting a laugh.  I hate SNL sometimes.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 11
19 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I thought it was weird for Pete to get all serious about Arianna and wish her well and all.  Why mention it at all?  It's a comedy show, not a vehicle to send a message to your ex-fiancee.

Completely agree. It's embarrassingly self-indulgent and I can't believe Lorne is allowing this. I guess if she was pissed about the promo, and they needed to make nice ... but that's just another indicator that they shouldn't have been talking about it in the first place. 

Also, Pete, thanks for assuring us that she's strong ... Um, no one is worried that Ariana Grande isn't going to get through this. 

• Love 9
20 hours ago, Mystery said:

I expected more from the show before the election. 

I hated the Benihana sketch. 

That WAS odd. So odd that my mind started wandering. How many years has it been since they taught ten-and-two for hand position on the steering wheel? Not since airbags became prevalent, anyway. 

I liked the Albany news show/proposal sketch. Is that how Albany's pronounced-- Ahlbany? I always thought it was like Ollbany. 

The terrible off-Broadway show sketch was funny, except for the "Who's [sic] parents paid for this?" SNL, I thought we were better than that. 

The Democrats' emotions before the election video made me laugh. 

I came here to see if anyone else noticed the "who's" vs. "whose" thing, which for some reason pissed me off more than Pete Davidson's narcissism. (Yes, I'm on edge. I can relate to florist lady in the "Vote" thing.) 

Sometimes I think somebody decided that "lose" and "loose" are the same words and apostrophes can go anywhere and I didn't get the memo.

• Love 8

It was bad. Leonard Pinth Garnell bad. I cheered when I saw Candice. Bring her back!

I've always read Lorne hates it when people break. I'm not sure how these folks have jobs. 

Pete Davidson? Not funny. Never was funny. I don't even care about the singer who sounds like a Starbucks drink (#LameDadJoke).

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Peace 47 said:

I think the HuckaPM sketch would have been improved by ending immediately after the first time she took the pills and Cecily was explaining what was in them (melatonin, extra strength quaaludes and “one and dones”).  It was funny to see her collapse and roll off the bed, but the other scenes (over railings and off the table) didn’t add much.

This sketch was my favorite of the night, and I loved every single fall. For me, each one was unique and hilarious. I kept laughing even after it was all over. I will definitely watch it again.

4 hours ago, futurechemist said:

In the Albany sketch, as soon as Jonah's character came out wearing a lime green sweater, I knew they would be doing a green screen joke. 

Ditto, though I didn't think there was much humor from the floating head. I thought they were going to do some subtle joke about him crying with the graphic of the rain behind him, but no. 

Pete's standup during WU was painful.  I'm not a fan of mocking politicians for their appearance.  Someone like Colbert will introduce a politician that way, but will immediately pivot to something of substance.  Pete was just surface level mockery all the way.  It's just lazy comedy.

On the one hand, I do think it's lazy comedy. On the other, some of his comments were pretty funny. I guess, though, my attention lagged because I didn't hear what he said about the guy with the eye patch. I may have to go back and watch that to see if it offends me, too.

Maggie Rogers was kind of a bore to me. I thought she sounded awful in her first song, so I FF'd thru it. I liked the start of the second song -- the instrumental part -- but her singing just did nothing for me.

The only real laugh I got from the Cold Open was Cecily as Jeanine Piro saying the caravan had several Babadooks. :D

I didn't like the monologue with the 5-Timer's club, despite Tina's appearance. 

Oddly, I did like the Benihana sketch with Adam Grossman. I like his almost-adult jokes and the way Jonah performs the character.

The Blue Wave commercial was ok. The premise is true, but there wasn't much to it.

The news show sketch was a big nothing as was the teacher-falls-down sketch. I can see how that idea of that could bring comedy, but you need REALLY good, creative writers to bring that off. They didn't. Kate's performance couldn't carry it.

The Off-Broadway show sketch was kind of ok. My favorite part was the song "Me Too" and how they performed it. Pretty darn funny.

I thought the L&O teenage suspect character was good.

America's Got Talent was not.

Pug Wigs was ok. I loved Cecily's character, though I was distracted at first wondering if she and Jonah were supposed to be Real Housewives people.

But SHS was outstanding. The highlight of the show.

Edited by peeayebee
9 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Pug Wigs was ok. I loved Cecily's character, though I was distracted at first wondering if she and Jonah were supposed to be Real Housewives people.

I laughed at the part where Cecily assured us that it was a legitimate business and not a front for anything.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Since no one else has mentioned it, perhaps I missed it, but in the east coast showing, did anyone say: "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night"?

Yes.  Kate did.

SNL has left me behind.  I just don't get their humor, and I don't like any of the musical guests.

• Love 1

In the past I remember Jonah  Hill doing a much better job hosting than he did this time around. He's definitely a funny guy (ex. his turn in the James Franco roast), but the material wasn't great and like others have noted he seemed unengaged or uninterested in being there at all. The whole 5-timer bit seemed awkward and unrehearsed. Also I was surprised he didn't mention his (and Emma Stone's) new show out on Nextflix, Maniac. It's pretty great.

The 6 year old sketch is a character I do enjoy, but damn Lesley ruins just about every sketch she's in IMO. I can't stand her constantly cracking up, the flubbed lines, the awkward deliveries. Of all the talented actors/comedians out there how is it that she is even on the cast, let alone plays such a prominent role on SNL? Really don't see her appeal at all. 

Regarding Pete, I think he's pretty damn funny and I usually enjoy his meta-commentary on WU. This time around wasn't his best though and I too was hoping he'd have more to say than just making fun of those politician's looks.  Meanwhile Villasenor's L+O bit was tremendous, she absolutely nailed it. Agreed that that was a coming out moment for her- hopefully we'll see more of her instead of all Kate all the time (or aghh Leslie).

• Love 1

I'm not really a Jonah Hill fan, so I didn't care much for his starring skits.  Leslie Jones was the best part of the I'm six skit.

I was good with pretty much the rest of the skits, except for the teacher falling down one.  But opener, off-broadway, Dems gonna win, HuckaPM, all good.  Pug wigs was cute.

Love WU and all (L&O teenager was great), but I have to agree with Pete Davidson, I'm definitely over his 'character' and Idk about his life either.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 12:28 AM, saoirse said:

Jonah Hill hosts. Maggie Rogers musics

Neither one was more than 'meh'.

The cold opening was funny, although it could've been more cutting.  The America's Got Talent sketch was amusing.  (Although I have had Send in the Clowns stuck in my head ever since.)  That's about it.  Even Weekend Update let me down - extended Pete Davidson bits are never funny.

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, Negritude said:

Not even the America's Got Talent sketch? Cecily as Nell breaking out into Send In The Clowns?! Come on guys that's good stuff.

I did like that sketch.  But pretty much anything with Jonah Hill sucked.  And the teacher thing was just weird.  This, for me, was the worst episode so far this season, and that includes Kanye's 'performance'.

On ‎11‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 1:32 AM, Mystery said:

I expected more from the show before the election. 

Me too.

• Love 1

You know, in regards to Pete saying something about Ariana on WU - I actually wonder if he wasn't planning on saying anything, but then her dropping a song partially about him(and naming him), 30 minutes before the show started, made him want to add a little closure to it. If she hadn't dropped the song, I actually doubt he would've said anything.

This was...a weird way to celebrate someone's fifth time hosting, especially because I actually have liked Jonah's previous hosting stints. I know a lot of his stuff can tip into bathroom humor, but I do think Jonah Hill is a legitimately funny guy - watching this made me rent 21 and 22 Jump Street, because those movies both make me laugh until I cry. A lot of these just missed the mark.

Like, they couldn't get Bill Hader to come back for the "I'm 6" sketch (especially after he discussed on Seth Meyers this week that he created the character with Seth and Bill)? Or have Andy Samberg or Seth Rogen come by to do something?

I do have to say, I did find it very endearing that he and Leslie seemed delighted that they were cracking each other up in the Adam Grossman sketch.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, JZL said:

Her Youtube vids are decent if you're into that, so this was a surprise.  I almost went and got the wife.  "Is it me, or is she singing off-key or flat or what?"

It didn't really bother me that she was singing off key, things happen.  I just didn't find her music appealing in general.

On 11/4/2018 at 1:09 AM, Peace 47 said:

I think the HuckaPM sketch would have been improved by ending immediately after the first time she took the pills and Cecily was explaining what was in them (melatonin, extra strength quaaludes and “one and dones”).  It was funny to see her collapse and roll off the bed, but the other scenes (over railings and off the table) didn’t add much.

That's exactly how I felt.

On 11/4/2018 at 1:09 AM, Peace 47 said:

The cast really had the giggles tonight.  They seriously need to work on that.  Sometimes a sketch is a minor disaster, and laughing doesn’t really hurt it, but tonight, I think it actively hurt several of them.  

I have always maintained that the giggling is fake, just like it was on the Carol Burnett show where it got regular play.  They are all trained professionals who could stifle it if they wanted to, with the rare exception of an unexpected ad lib,   But on SNL, they seem to use it as a regular part of the show, and with a belief that it can save a failing sketch.  It doesn't, and there sure were a boatload of them in this episode.

I draw a distinction between a sketch having at least one funny part, which almost all SNL sketches do (including this episode's), versus a whole sketch being well-written, cohesive, consistently funny, and a good ending, which almost no SNL's skits are.

On 11/4/2018 at 9:04 PM, WendyM said:

I came here to see if anyone else noticed the "who's" vs. "whose" thing...Sometimes I think somebody decided that "lose" and "loose" are the same words and apostrophes can go anywhere and I didn't get the memo.

Preach!

On 11/4/2018 at 10:55 PM, WAnglais1 said:

Pete Davidson? Not funny. Never was funny.

I think I'm remembering this correctly...it was either the very first show that Pete was on, or the very first one that he was featured in multiple sketches, and I distinctly remember remarking to myself how very good he was (I didn't know anything about him).  Then there was blowback about him being in too many sketches, so they cut him back, and I have never found him as funny since then (except when he plays that clueless kid who is getting hit on and doesn't know it).

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, LuvMyShows said:

I have never found him as funny since then (except when he plays that clueless kid who is getting hit on and doesn't know it).

Yes! Chad is Pete's one saving grace. Truly the gift that keeps on giving, especially the Benedict Cumberbatch tortured professor sketch.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I have always maintained that the giggling is fake, just like it was on the Carol Burnett show where it got regular play.  They are all trained professionals who could stifle it if they wanted to, with the rare exception of an unexpected ad lib,

Well Leslie is not a trained improv actor, she's a stand up comic so I definitely think her giggles are real because she's never really a sketch performer. Also, you can't stifle a laugh when something is a surprise and a lot of times the sketches are re-written even after dress rehearsal like the Stefon sketches.

21 hours ago, meep.meep said:

I'm now firmly convinced that alcohol is required to find this funny.

The teacher sketch was like something left over from Kristen Wiig.

I think there's a difference though. Youtube recently  re-uploaded this sketch from a previous Jonah Hill episode "Liza Minelli Tries To Turn On a Lamp". I remember the Ann-Margaret one she did with Ed Helms but not this:

The problem I had with a lot of Wiig's sketches is that they're mostly centered on her playing a character that's acting super goofy wacky and everyone else reacting to her. She's overacting while everyone around her is her straight man. A lot of cast members have these types of characters but because it is the majority of Wiig's repertoir she gets this kind of "diva"   The teacher sketch on the other hand, it comes off narcissistic and selfish. Kate on the other hand is just lying on the ground underplaying while saying these silly lines being overdramatic and that's what's funny. The students reacting all get funny lines like Aidy's "No don't tell us stuff!" It's still an ensemble.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4

As a watcher of America's Got Talent, I appreciated the call-out of the "they seem like they won't be good OH MY GOD THEY'RE GOOD" trope that the show can't help itself from running into the ground. 

And I liked the subtle (surprisingly, for SNL) slam on how AGT hides a contestant's prior performing, and focuses on the most tragic events in their life, no matter what.

I was willing to forgive Pete Davidson himself, on the grounds that he's openly pretty out there and going through a breakup--but someone else at the show could have filtered the idea of making fun of someone for losing an eye for his country.  I hope they have Dan Crenshaw on as soon as they can, and he does a bit like Steve Martin responding to David Spade.   

"Divided We Stand" was very funny, and as others have noted, very much like the high school theater group a few years after high school.  Some of the writers have seen some bad, bad theater.

I enjoyed Maggie Roberts, in part because she tried to dance like she was really into her own music.  I like it when someone enjoys what they do, and tries to take us with them.

ETA:  Dan Crenshaw won his race.   Whether that gets addressed on the show next week or not is an unknown question.

Edited by marketdoctor
Couldn't remember Dan Crenshaw's name; election results.
  • Love 1

Hello Vb. I May Be Wrong, But I Don't Think Melissa Has Been On Saturday Night Live Over 3 Years ! I DO Know She Has Been On 2 Years Because She Did NOT Start In September So She Was There Last Season, But I Don't think She Was There Before Last Season ! Jody

On 11/8/2018 at 2:06 AM, Jody said:

Hello Vb. I May Be Wrong, But I Don't Think Melissa Has Been On Saturday Night Live Over 3 Years ! I DO Know She Has Been On 2 Years Because She Did NOT Start In September So She Was There Last Season, But I Don't think She Was There Before Last Season ! Jody

She joined in season 42. This is her third season.

• Love 1