Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E03: Seth Meyers / Paul Simon

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, vb68 said:

So Paul Simon easily gets three songs, right?

Three songs and a montage of all his other SNL moments, for sure. This is definitely the coda to his goodbye tour. It chokes me up to even think it, but this might be his last time on this show, ever.

I was talking with a friend about it and remembered that Seth's first episode was the post-9/11 one where Simon played "The Boxer." I think tonight is going to be very emotional.

• Love 8

Oh man, this has been Paul Simon’s final tour?  I saw he was coming through my general area this summer, but I was so busy at work that I never focused on buying the tickets.

I was wondering last week why he was the announced musical guest, but I just saw that he performed his “last concert ever” at the end of the tour and that he is 77 years old.  Wow.  His website says that he has been the musical guest on SNL nine times, which is more than any other musical guest.  What a legend.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 4

As an official old person, I'm remembering the Turkey suit, diamonds on the soles of their shoes, and the boxer (can we be funny? Why start now?)

i’m sure I’m missing some...

ETA.  if if you can still pull it up, the vintage episode from tonight is the turkey suit one.  Much Paul Simon music. 

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 7

I was looking forward to this, but so far not funny. Cosby in prison? Maybe people have affection for Kenan's old impression, but I don't get what's funny about any of it.

Okay, now better. I like the loopier later appearing material best (usually)

Edited by pythonite

Cold Open: Of course we start with Trump and Kanye. Not much you can do to make Kanye/Trump more ridiculous than it is. Yeah, the one person even Trump thinks is an unhinged attention whore. 

Monologue: Seth Meyers can finally be in sketches again! I've been on record that I wasn't a fan of his solo Update tenure, but apparently he got much better since taking over Late Night? I really liked him here, an actual monologue talking about previous shows I actually watched. Fun fact: Seth's first show (the post-9/11 show) was the first new episode I ever saw live.

South of Mason: And now a sketch about the Q&A section of every Comic Con panel. So I liked this. I totally heard Adele Dazeem, right?

Beta Force: Where the hell has THIS Seth Meyers been?! I thought this was funny. "SHE HAS OSTEOPOROSIS, YOU MONSTER."

Thirsty Cops: Ego gets to talk! It was fun to see Leslie and Ego get something to do, but....eh, I dunno.

Frightening Tale: Oh no, not a 22 year old aspiring filmmaker. I've talked to those, it really is frightening. Kyle had the cadence down COLD. 

Jail: Oh NOW we get Kenan to bust out the Cosby impression. 40th anniversary aside, it only took the show, what, 15 years? Even if Kenan busted it out before then, it's still been a while. Of course I loved it. They had 15 years of Cosby jokes to work with, so they had to make it count. Seth was essentially Update Seth dealing with Stefon. 

WU: White women do love yarn. Che joining in on Heidi's bubbly goop girl accent was great. The LaGuardia and Radio Shack jokes were killer. And Hey, a "Really?!" segment, which was great. They even called out Seth for making fun of Trump at the WHCD so much he decided to run for president.

Bayou Benny's Liberal Lagniappe: The hell did I just watch? A cajun liberal roundtable talk show with Seff Meyers, Taylor Swift, a Gator, and Kate McKinnon dressed as a chili pepper. This was something so stupid I couldn't help but laugh.

Cooba: Didn't know what to make of this. Not to fond of insufferable people.

Trees: That was short and weird. Didn't even know that was a sketch at first. Did it start midway or something? I thought Chris Redd was funny in this.

Band: Kenan continues to just kill it. He was definitely the MVP of this episode. "Not my Gucci shoes!" just killed me.

So...this was okay. Paul Simon shows off why he keeps coming back (acoustics sucked as usual, though). We return November 3rd with Jonah Hill. 

• Love 7

A part of me wonders if Lorne Michaels invited Kanye knowing he'd melt down and that they'd get weeks of material out of it. This stuff being dredged up over and over just makes me feel a bit uneasy at this point, and I'm not a fan of his. 

• Love 10

Wow. The curse of high expectations. I think my feelings on most of the show can be summed up with a resounding "meh."

I was genuinely surprised by how the energy just seemed off and sometimes even lacking. For example, I never realized until tonight that  Seth was dependent on Amy really selling those  "REALLY!!!"s.  They forgot to sell that bit. Che seemed like he was "yeah, I'm not doing that."

Did the Louisiana sketch make anybody else miss Maine Justice? I thought it would be funnier to have Beck just play Foghorn Leghorn which was all I was hearing with that accent.

And speaking of Beck, I kept seeing those Mitch McConnell eyes.

It tells you something that one of my favorite parts of the episode were the title stills with Seth and the llama.

56 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

I totally heard Adele Dazeem, right?

You did indeed. That was sly and the best joke of that sketch.  

Edited by vb68
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Did the Louisiana sketch make anybody else miss Maine Justice? I thought it would be funnier to have Beck just play Foghorn Leghorn which was all I was hearing with that accent.

YES! I kept thinking that the entire time.

• Love 6

Guy dressed as a giant biscuit in a MAGA cap, looking to fight. Yeah, I'd like to see (copy/paste) Bayou Benny's Liberal Lagniappe again.

"You're using a sledgehammer on an egg!!" Aidy grimacing really sold the pain of doing that with a guy jacked on testosterone.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, VCRTracking said:

The "Beta Force" commercial is my favorite so far. "She has osteoporosis, you monster!"

And her icing her shattered pelvis. 

35 minutes ago, vb68 said:

Wow. The curse of high expectations. I think my feelings on most of the show can be summed up with a resounding "meh."

I was genuinely surprised by how the energy just seemed off and sometimes seven lacking. For example, I never realized until tonight that  Seth was dependent on Amy really selling those  "REALLY!!!"s.  They forgot to sell that bit. Che seemed like he was "yeah, I'm not doing that."

Yeah, that was kind of sad. 

Was Pete only in the opening and the filmed part about trees?

Thanks so much to the person who pointed out the "classic" episode with Paul Simon and George Harrison, I'm watching it right now. I forgot how great it was. 

• Love 6

Hello So Much TV. Another Thing Was He Was With The Sweeney Sisters. The Sweeney Sisters Were Jan Hooks And Nora Dunn. When Paul Simon Was Dressed As A Turkey, Lorne Had Him Do That Because IT Was Around Thanksgiving. Paul Refused At First Because He Went Back Stage And Complained To Lorne. Lorne Talked Paul In To Doing IT So Paul Went Back Out And Finished The Monologue In The Turkey Suit. Paul Sang Still Crazy After All These Years Which Was One OF His Hit Songs ! Jody

• Love 2

Yeah, I was very happy for Ego that she got one of the leads in a sketch, but at the same time, the sketch was pretty awful. I wondered what Seth was thinking during it.

FWIW I can't remember Leslie and Sasheer ever teaming up like that.

• Love 4
46 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

So...cops who pull people over to sexually harass them are funny if they’re women?

I don’t quite know what they were going for in that sketch.  If there was some kind of statement in it about having black female cops harass a white man, it flew way over my head.

The Beta sketch was good until the end, when it was revealed that the wife was drugging the husband without his knowledge.  In a show with a prison Cosby sketch.   Insert Picard facepalm meme here.

I thought the monologue was good.  Parts of Update were pretty entertaining, and “frightening tale” was funny.  I missed most of the trees sketch because my local affiliate cut off most of it.  It kind of sounded like Friendos from last season.

Edited by Peace 47
  • Love 7

Hello VB68. Leslie And Sasheer Were In A Couple OF Black Jeopardy's. One Example Was When They Had Tom Hanks And His Name Was Doug. Kennan And Both OF Them Were All Impressed With Doug ! Also, Leslie Had A TV Show In The 1950's And She Was Sweet ! I Can't Remember IF IT Was A Show Like Leslie Was A Black Dinah Shore OR Leslie Was A Black Judy Garland Like The Wizard OF OZ, But Leslie Got Upset And Sasheer Was Her Daughter OR Assistant And She Tried To Calm Her Down ! Jody

OK, Paul Simon doing BOTW was beautiful. His voice is still great and the song is awesome. I didn’t expect it to hit me so hard but dang it was pretty. Every time I see Simon, though, all I think about is the story of him sitting in his car alone eating McNuggets. I can’t remember anything else about the story. Maybe I imagined it.

• Love 5

SNL has passed from bias to hypocrisy. 

I was excited when the South of Mason skit started off with the ridiculous PC question about why the father is a man. SNL is going to have fun with PC? Awesome! But no.

Then we get Thirsty Cops. In a non PC world it would have been a few light laughs. But sadly, it’s not. Switch the genders of the cops and the driver and this site and social media would be in full on outrage. And that wasn’t the point of the skit, so today’s world forced me to ask... it’s OK if it’s a man, SNL?

And then we see the camping skit based on inside Hollywood life. Pass.

So SNL misses an opportunity to be original and say something new, does something with a man it would never do with a woman and then goes inside for a tedious 3 minutes. Just embarrassing. 

I did like the Cosby skit. And playing with the N word during WU.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Cold Open: Of course we start with Trump and Kanye. Not much you can do to make Kanye/Trump more ridiculous than it is. Yeah, the one person even Trump thinks is an unhinged attention whore.

“Maybe we should pick your lunch up at the pharmacy.” - Trump to Ye

That entire cold open pretty much mirrored the real thing. Didn’t know if I should laugh or weep, lol. 

7 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Monologue: Seth Meyers can finally be in sketches again! I've been on record that I wasn't a fan of his solo Update tenure, but apparently he got much better since taking over Late Night? I really liked him here, an actual monologue talking about previous shows I actually watched. Fun fact: Seth's first show (the post-9/11 show) was the first new episode I ever saw live.

I don’t think this was in the cold open (maybe it was?) but when Seth started talking about how he will never be surprised about what Kanye does, I thought that story he told happened after Kanye stole the mic from Taylor Swift. I was laughing when he said it happened in 2007. 

Love Seth and I enjoy watching him on Late Night. 

• Love 12

I wonder if Che’s n-word counter will come back, a la the slap bet from How I Met Your Mother. He has three left! (I hate the n-word, but I laughed at how he negotiated four into his contract and we got the on screen Family Feud visual once he dropped one.)

Seth felt pretty game but the episode overall was largely meh. No surprise he was best behind the Weekend Update desk.

• Love 4

The cold open was one of their weaker "let's just repeat real things that happened this week instead of coming up with jokes" types, but I just have to say I have absolutely said "That's Wonder Woman!" in the exact same tone of voice Chris/Kanye did in this sketch.

I remember that "Kanye interrupting people" sketch, and that it had aired two years before the Taylor Swift incident. At the time the sketch aired I was only familiar with Kanye's music, not his public persona, so I just kinda chuckled along and assumed he'd done something like that before. So when he actually did interrupt Taylor Swift, I was surprised at how surprised everybody was. Like, yeah, isn't this a thing he does? They parodied it on SNL two years ago.

What place does a sketch like Thirsty Cops have in a post-#MeToo world? All it did was make me miss Dyke & Fats.

The reveal that Kenan was Cosby in the jail sketch reminded me of the OJ reveal in the sketch he did with Gal Gadot last season.

Per Chris Redd's Instagram this morning, looks like Trees got mostly cut off for everybody. They put the full version on the YouTube channel:

Yeah, a surprisingly underwhelming episode. I thought Seth did fine--as others have said, sketch work is not his strong suit, but I thought he shined in the moments when he was in his comfort zone (monologue and Really?!). I thought there would be more of a tribute to Paul given his history with the show and his official retirement from performing. The goodnights got cut off because they were over on time, but it was his birthday and they brought out a cake for him.

So next episode Jonah Hill gets inducted into the Five Timers Club. He might be the most underwhelming entry ever, at least for me. He's not a particularly strong or memorable host--I actually usually find him quite annoying on this show. But whatever, I guess.

And I have no idea who Maggie Rogers is.

• Love 11
46 minutes ago, helenamonster said:

I remember that "Kanye interrupting people" sketch, and that it had aired two years before the Taylor Swift incident. At the time the sketch aired I was only familiar with Kanye's music, not his public persona, so I just kinda chuckled along and assumed he'd done something like that before. So when he actually did interrupt Taylor Swift, I was surprised at how surprised everybody was. Like, yeah, isn't this a thing he does? They parodied it on SNL two years ago.

The difference was Kanye was interrupting people who beat him for the award. In Taylor's case they weren't even in the same category! He was interrupting because he thought Beyonce should have won while Beyonce's in the audience horrified:

giphy.gif

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 4

I liked that the musicians were given some attention, and not just Paul Simon. I thought the Thirsty Cops and the Cosby sketch were maybe too soon? Or maybe having a man harassed to point out how wrong men doing that to women is? Or that Cosby is just an old, sad, blind, deviant?

Did Seth ever not look at the teleprompter? I was not impressed ever with his ability to do sketch comedy.

Che saying the n word during a Weekend Update was both shocking and about time.

• Love 4

What place does a sketch like Thirsty Cops have in a post-#MeToo world? All it did was make me miss Dyke & Fats.

That was my exact reaction. When Kate McKinnon stepped into the scene I yelled “here come Dyke and Fats!” out loud and then was so, so sad that they didn’t go there.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

A part of me wonders if Lorne Michaels invited Kanye knowing he'd melt down and that they'd get weeks of material out of it. This stuff being dredged up over and over just makes me feel a bit uneasy at this point, and I'm not a fan of his. 

There would be nothing to dredge up if shut the hell up. Him making a fool of himself has been the biggest part of the news cycle for two weeks. There is no way he wouldn't be addressed multiple times.

• Love 6

Maybe it's because I PVRd the episode and watched it this morning, minus commercials, when I was fresh, but I really enjoyed the episode. It wasn't spectacular, but I was entertained. And for once I enjoyed the musical guest. (And I loved Paul's musicians.) I laughed through WU and the Goop girl. I even enjoyed the Bayou Benny skit because it was so completely bonkers, and then I giggled through the final band skit, mainly because of Kenan's singing. I couldn't explain to anyone why I found it so funny, but I guess that's usually true of things that make us laugh. 

So, an entertaining episode with good music and quite a few laughs that didn't cost me anything to watch while drinking coffee in my pj's. Maybe I just have low standards, but no complaints here. 

• Love 4

I loved Seth on SNL before and I love him on Late Night (I went to a taping last summer!), but I was pretty meh on this episode. It's the first full one I've watched in ages (I usually just watch the cold open and the Weekend Update), but with the exception of the "Aspiring Filmmaker" bit and the Update, I wasn't very amused. I'm surprised, as I always thought Seth was a very funny guy.

And where was Stefon?!

• Love 6

I wasn't a fan of Seth, Kristen, and Fred and were glad when they left.  Seth is much more suited to be a late night talk show host then the smirk-faced, jokes-dropping-to-silence host of WU he was.  He was OK last night and the Really!? bit was maybe the best thing Seth ever did on SNL, so that was nice.

The show was so-so apart from that and Paul Simon & Ymusic (A Bandcamp act finally makes it to SNL!).

I'm beginning to worry a little bit about the writing this season.  We've enjoyed a strong show since the departure of the above-mentioned threesome.  The cast is there, but we're only three shows into the season and the writing is flat.  They're already getting a break next week.  ETA:  Are there too many writers, a diffusion of responsibility?

To me it's also interesting that in the political humor area, we have gone from a president who was so even-keeled he was hard to write about, to a president who's so whackadoodle that the reality is more absurd than the written comedy.  They need to start going back to writing about the underlings more.

Edited by JZL
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

So...cops who pull people over to sexually harass them are funny if they’re women?

That was bad. I kept waiting for some kind of turnaround where they point out the hypocrisy of joking about women cops harassing a man vs the reality of some male cops harassing and and even raping women drivers. 

Helenamonster, thank you for posting the video of the Trees sketch. I loved it even more seeing the whole thing. Chris Redd is great, and the interaction betw him and Pete was so good. What a shame this got short-shrift on TV.

2 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I just have to say I have absolutely said "That's Wonder Woman!" in the exact same tone of voice Chris/Kanye did in this sketch.

I LOVED how he said that.

The reveal that Kenan was Cosby in the jail sketch reminded me of the OJ reveal in the sketch he did with Gal Gadot last season.

But the OJ reveal was much much funnier.

Overall, I actually liked the show. Both performances by Paul Simon were wonderful. I particularly like the first one. The music was beautiful.

The CO was not much, except for Trump realizing that Kanye is the black him.

Seth's monologue was simple and enjoyable. 

I really enjoyed the sketch with the Q&As. My favorite line was from Kenan -- "I will see you at home, Rhonda!" His delivery was great.

I liked both A Frightening Tale and Cosby in jail. The latter didn't offend me. I didn't think it was "too soon." 

The public access show in Louisiana was bizarre but pretty funny. The Cuba sketch was ok. I liked the Marriott sketch, but...

I think all of the sketches with Seth could have been improved if he hadn't been in them. He was good in the filmed testosterone commercial, but he just lacks... something when performing. 

• Love 3

Seth has more of a snarky, sarcastic persona which works well on Update and on his late night show. Kinda like David Spade a little. He doesn't have the acting chops for sketch comedy at the level of Kenan, Kate, or Beck. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

The "Beta Force" commercial is my favorite so far. "She has osteoporosis, you monster!"

That and the Frightening Story were about the only things worth watching.  Ever since they started showing it live on the west coast, the show seems to have gone into a tailspin.

If I watch it at 11:30 on a Saturday night, usually I've had a few adult beverages.  Maybe it was always this bad.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, helenamonster said:

So next episode Jonah Hill gets inducted into the Five Timers Club. He might be the most underwhelming entry ever, at least for me. He's not a particularly strong or memorable host--I actually usually find him quite annoying on this show. But whatever, I guess.

I didn't realize he had hosted four times before. I can't remember any memorable skits from him only one of his monologues where he did the Titanic arms thing. Definitely doesn't feel like the strongest person to host after a three week hiatus. 

12 minutes ago, JZL said:

I'm beginning to worry a little bit about the writing this season.  We've enjoyed a strong show since the departure of the above-mentioned threesome.  The cast is there, but we're only three shows into the season and the writing is flat.  They're already getting a break next week.  ETA:  Are there too many writers, a diffusion of responsibility?

Speaking of the hiatus, it seems really early to already take 3 weeks off. I was shocked when I saw that the next new episode wouldn't be until November, and that they were already repeating the first episode. I totally agree about the writing too. Episodes have always had sketches that didn't work before, but other than a few bright spots, the past three episodes have been bad, imo. 

4 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I think all of the sketches with Seth could have been improved if he hadn't been in them. He was good in the filmed testosterone commercial, but he just lacks... something when performing. 

Yes, the Beta Force commercial probably got the most laughs out of me, but he didn't really bring anything to the other sketches that someone else couldn't have done as well or better. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

Were Cecily or Mikey Day in this episode at all?

Cecily was in the Q & A sketch (she was the one with the little dog that she didn't want to leave home lest it commit suicide), but otherwise I didn't see Mikey at all. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

The difference was Kanye was interrupting people who beat him for the award. In Taylor's case they weren't even in the same category! He was interrupting because he thought Beyonce should have won while Beyonce's in the audience horrified:

giphy.gif

I think Kanye is nuts, but on this, I agree with him ;)

Jonah Hill has all of a sudden become one of my favourite actors.  He is fantastic in "Maniac" which is on Netflix now.

Maggie Rogers played a song for Pharell on some show and he started weeping because he was so overcome by it.  So since then she's been releasing some music to the mainstream.

I liked this better than the Awkwafina episode.  I don't know.  I thought it was fine.  But yeah, the cops sketch was really weird.  Felt very 90's.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

I wonder if Che’s n-word counter will come back, a la the slap bet from How I Met Your Mother. He has three left! (I hate the n-word, but I laughed at how he negotiated four into his contract and we got the on screen Family Feud visual once he dropped one.)

I'm fully expecting for that to come back.  I was actually wondering if he was going to use up more than one last night.

• Love 6
21 minutes ago, mortonsalt said:

Speaking of the hiatus, it seems really early to already take 3 weeks off. I was shocked when I saw that the next new episode wouldn't be until November, and that they were already repeating the first episode. I totally agree about the writing too. Episodes have always had sketches that didn't work before, but other than a few bright spots, the past three episodes have been bad, imo. 

They're already on hiatus?  For 3 weeks?  WTF?   I guess I won't miss them while they're gone considering how bad this season has been so far.  I thought this episode was flat and unfunny.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I've grown to like Seth Meyers over the years, but yes, this did remind me how lackluster he is in sketches. It didn't help that many of the sketches, the ones I bothered to watch, seemed to drag on and on, like the one with Kenan Thompson as Cosby.

12 hours ago, nowandlater said:

I think tonight was an example of why Seth was nervous about his first five years and why he doesn't really have any memorable sketch moments on the show.

True, but I do remember a lot of his WU lines like:
"A filmmaker is claiming that a sheet of music used by the Nazis may actually contain a hidden code for the location of a buried treasure. You know, say what you will about the Nazis but they really knew how to set up an adventure."

"The Summer Olympics are a grand spectacle of sport; the Winter Olympics is just 48 different kinds of sliding."

"On Sunday, Reverend Paul Barnes, the pastor of a Denver mega-church, resigned after confessing to having sex with men, saying that he had often begged God to end his homosexual urges. Unfortunately, God just kept introducing him to hotter and hotter dudes."

• Love 13

Isn't that only two Saturdays, though?  They're "missing" 10/20 and 10/27. 

I, too, am loving Maniac on Netflix and Jonah Hill's understated-but-compelling performance as Owen.  Plus a shout-out to the "youngster" Julia Garner of Ozark and The Americans fame.  She plays Anna's (Emma Stone's) little sister Ellie.  I wonder how she'd do as host-- there'd be an almost guaranteed Emma Stone appearance. 

Edited by JZL
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, JZL said:

I'm beginning to worry a little bit about the writing this season.

I'm more than a little worried. I'm verging on not even watching anymore. The show has always been hit or miss, but ever since the old writers left (WHY DID THEY LEAVE?), the show has been much more miss than hit, and when I find myself thinking I wish I'd gone to bed early because I'm just bored, week after week, even when I love the cast and the host, that's a very bad sign.

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Helenamonster, thank you for posting the video of the Trees sketch. I loved it even more seeing the whole thing. Chris Redd is great, and the interaction betw him and Pete was so good. What a shame this got short-shrift on TV.

Co-signed. This was my favorite part of the episode and I was glad to actually get to see the whole thing since the broadcast cut it off.

• Love 2