Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

On 12/17/2018 at 6:56 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I've never actually seen  Die Hard, but I kind of enjoy how people keep arguing about it.

LOL you would have liked my family the other day, as we actually did have this argument...my niece & nephew say it is, I say it's not :)

I don’t get how they are going to have the Goldbergs on in the 80’s and Schooled  years ahead in the timeline . Is Adam going to suddenly age beyond high school ? Is everyone going to suddenly age 5 years  on both shows .

Looking ahead to the upcoming episodes it looks like Lainey has left town and Murray and Geoff team up to help Beverly , Erica when Barry out of their depression . 

I am wondering what made ABC become so invested in this Lainey character. She’s dull  and the actress is nothing great .  Also the coach and the guidance counselor are not interesting enough to make a sitcom on their own .     Actually the whole Barry /Lainey marriage plot eithvhim still in high school has made the show pretty awful and unrealistic this year .  Is the actress related to someone at Disney? 

I think Sue from the Middle and her male friend would have been much more interesting ! They already were fun on the Middle as supporting characters.

Edited by goldenpuppy
  • Love 3
On 1/5/2019 at 5:57 AM, goldenpuppy said:

I think Sue from the Middle and her male friend would have been much more interesting !

I personally wouldn't have watched a spin-off with Sue, but I think there are plenty of people who would.  Especially more than a spin-off based on Goldbergs characters.  I'm shocked this was picked up and the Sue Sue show wasn't.

On 1/5/2019 at 5:57 AM, goldenpuppy said:

I don’t get how they are going to have the Goldbergs on in the 80’s and Schooled  years ahead in the timeline . Is Adam going to suddenly age beyond high school ? Is everyone going to suddenly age 5 years  on both shows .

Looking ahead to the upcoming episodes it looks like Lainey has left town and Murray and Geoff team up to help Beverly , Erica when Barry out of their depression . 

I am wondering what made ABC become so invested in this Lainey character. She’s dull  and the actress is nothing great .  Also the coach and the guidance counselor are not interesting enough to make a sitcom on their own .     Actually the whole Barry /Lainey marriage plot eithvhim still in high school has made the show pretty awful and unrealistic this year .  Is the actress related to someone at Disney? 

I think Sue from the Middle and her male friend would have been much more interesting ! They already were fun on the Middle as supporting characters.

It reminds me of Joanie Loves Chachi. It is like you give two unimportant characters a spinoff and expect the audience to like them. I feel the Lainey character is going to be a one season deal and nothing is going to extend it. Judging from the previews, it looks pretty terrible. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 1
On 1/7/2019 at 5:04 AM, ByTor said:

I personally wouldn't have watched a spin-off with Sue, but I think there are plenty of people who would.  Especially more than a spin-off based on Goldbergs characters.  I'm shocked this was picked up and the Sue Sue show wasn't.

I woulda watched the Sue show.

• Love 2

The Wedding Singer is going to irritate me for all eternity because they did a horrific job styling Drew Barrymore.  She was not 80’s at all.

The rest of the movie, I adore.

I loved the video of show Pops and real Pops.  That’s really what this show does best.

• Love 15
44 minutes ago, Eataton said:

I wonder if the real Pops (if he's still around) was okay with them showing that video when he said delete it.

He is dead as is Murray. 

This episode was worth it for reminding me how adorable Lainey looked in the pink track suit when she rapped for Barry.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 8

I really liked how they weaved footage from the tv show in with scenes from the movie as if they were filmed as one story. Don’t think I’d seen a show do something like this before, and I liked how well the quality and feel matched. Nicely done.

I’m glad the teen engagement story is over. Never felt it worked or that it would happen especially after Schooled was announced. 

• Love 20

I am very disappointed that there is no Sue Spin-off.

Back to the Goldbergs- Lainey is the least interesting character. I like Coach and the Guidance Counselor as side characters on the Goldbergs, but I am not sure I enjoy them by themselves. I wasn't a huge fan of the backdoor spinoff during the season last year. I'm just not sure I'll be watching Schooled.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, mojoween said:

I loved the video of show Pops and real Pops.  That’s really what this show does best.

That was the best part of the show IMO.

They made the engagement breakoff about as painless as they could, by making everybody secretly not wanting it all along.  The downside to this is that it all seemed kind of forced at the last minute.  It's not like they had shown signs of this all along.

Bringing The Wedding Singer in as real events as opposed to being a movie was an interesting idea, but I found it distracting.  Overall, I didn't care for it.  If that movie had been made in the '80s, it would have just been another background reference.  Adam must have really liked that movie to include it even though it was from the late '90s.

• Love 9

Erica and Barry's back-and-forth about how the wedding got to this point was fantastically well done, and really captures the essence of Barry's character. His impulsiveness matched with his passion. I think my favourite line was "I'm not ready to get married, I'm still a child. I get angry and jealous when someone else gets a present and I don't!" 

I wonder if the wedding would have gone through had Schooled not officially been picked up, giving them a good option to defer it. Now, I'm secretly hoping for the return of Jamie Weisman. I liked her calm presence set against Barry's... Barry-ness.

The Adam story was actually very touching. I think a lot of us try to alleviate tension or tragedy with humour to help ourselves, without really understanding how it may impact those around us.

• Love 10

The Wedding Singer being an actual thing happening in the shows universe is an interesting idea, and I thought the movie being welded into the story was pretty seamless, if rather odd. Like, this whole show takes place in an eternally 80s universe where the whole decade is happening at once and up to 11 at all times. At least, until the 90s arrive soon.

The end of the engagement happened as painlessly as possible, with everyone secretly hoping that it would end the whole time because, as everyone both in and out of universe has said, its totally stupid. It was a bittersweet ending, I admit to getting a bit emotional at the end. I also liked how they handled the Adam stuff, and how he goes to stupid comedy even when it feels inappropriate because its how he copes with stuff. Just nicely done over all. 

Although, the saga of Barry and Lainey is clearly not over, with Adam saying how they wouldn't be together...at least in this decade....

The shots of Pops on the show and real Pops were great. My favorite parts of the show. 

• Love 5

Something I enjoy about this show is  when there is something you are sure is fiction and, at the end, you find out it really happened - like Murray buying that car that fell apart the next day and then seeing the actual car.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, reggiejax said:

another note, this episode is as close as we'll likely ever get to the show stating a real year. Adam Goldberg may rely on the "1980-something" crutch, but The Wedding Singer is expressly set in 1985.

We have gotten somiliar references that were tied to a specific year so I don’t understand what is different about The Wedding Singer. In this episode Adam had a poster of Can’t Buy Me Love which came out in 1987. 

For better or worse Adam Goldberg made a specific decision to set the show not in a specific year from the beginning saying that his memory often conflates different events in different years so I also don’t see it as a crutch but a basic premise of the show. 

• Love 4

Just watched last night’s episode. With all of the comedy stuff and immaturity of Adam, as well as his stupid obsession with Garbage Pale Kids, and in the past when he sold his dad’s stamps, he’s such a pipsqueak dweeb. That being said, I hate Adam and the way that he is, since he’s portrayed as a huge pussy. 

• Love 1

I loved this episode. I found the Wedding Singer parts funny and I liked the storylines. Especially how everyone supported Barry in a sweet and sincere way. It really did tear me up to see him have tears. It really seemed so natural and a little different look for the Goldbergs show, in a good way. 

• Love 4

I agree alexa, I really enjoyed the movie The Wedding Singer , and the way the movie scenes were edited into the tv episode was pretty good. I've enjoyed this series since day one and still want to tune in for every episode. Enjoyed the new season of Schooled, had a few LOL moments, cracked up to see Johnny A as a janitor at the school. Coach Mellor was awesome, looking forward to more of the season.

Edited by One4Sorrow2TooBad
  • Love 6
17 minutes ago, reggiejax said:

The Wedding Singer is very much set in 1985. So if Beverly is commiserating with Jon Lovitz' character, she is doing so in 1985. Of course The Goldbergs never made mention of that in this episode, but fans of the movie know what year the movie takes place in. 

Since their are other references in this episode that are after 1985 it’s clear that the writers did not intend for the episode to take place in any specific time. 

A few years ago they had an entire episode set at Live Aid a specific event held on a specific day, also 1985, and Hands Across America another specific event on a specific day, May 1986, both of which are more high profile than the year in which The Wedding Singer takes place.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Since their are other references in this episode that are after 1985 it’s clear that the writers did not intend for the episode to take place in any specific time. 

A few years ago they had an entire episode set at Live Aid a specific event held on a specific day, also 1985, and Hands Across America another specific event on a specific day, May 1986, both of which are more high profile than the year in which The Wedding Singer takes place.

I agree. The year the show is taking place is not a secret meant to be figured out. The date is meant to be accepted more as, say, wibbily wobbly timey wimey. If we're being scientific.

• Love 9

I felt like this episode wrapped up the engagement storyline well and in a realistic way. When I was in high school, I was convinced that I had found my one true love. Turns out I was just a dumb kid too and had no idea what real love is. I am glad that they didn't just end the engagement and have them continue to be together as if nothing happened, and it was nice to see Lainey attempting to grow up and be an independent single woman instead of being tied down with her old boyfriend. 

• Love 4
22 hours ago, alexa said:

I like how they don’t focus on the year and just use the 80s references as a whole, regardless of year. For this show it works and makes it simpler. 

Yeah, it mirrors the way memories really work.

• Love 4

Is there a forum for Schooled?  I totally forgot about it and missed the first episode.  Just wondering what people thought of it.

I liked the Wedding Singer clips being inserted into this episode.  I thought at first they had actually got Adam Sandler to appear, but then I saw Drew Barrymore and realised they were actually from the movie.

28 minutes ago, Token said:

Is there a forum for Schooled?  I totally forgot about it and missed the first episode.  Just wondering what people thought of it.

Yes, it's a topic under "Other S Shows".  It did have it's own sub-forum, but for now they've moved it to being just a topic.  Maybe if it gets popular enough, they will give it its own sub-forum again..

• Love 1
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

Yes, it's a topic under "Other S Shows".  It did have it's own sub-forum, but for now they've moved it to being just a topic.  Maybe if it gets popular enough, they will give it its own sub-forum again..

Weird.  I looked there but didn't see it.  I'll check again, though, thanks.

Murray and Geoff team up to pull Beverly, Barry and Erica out of their shared misery that Lainey has left town; Coach Mellor prepares for the next step of his life.

I get that The Goldbergs is trying to set the stage each week for Schooled, but this was a lot of drama over a girl who had already left to go to college two seasons ago, and whose name Murry couldn't remember when flat out asked a few seasons ago. 

I was surprised that they actually swapped Coach Mellors, until I realized it must have been needed to allow Bryan Callen more time for Schooled

Other than that, it all felt like filler to draw attention to Schooled.

• Love 7

I watch reruns of the show on a local network every evening and there have been A LOT of episodes "dedicated" to Coach Mellor. A crazy amount!!! I did like how they used Charles Barkley, that was cute. The problem with a new Coach Mellor I think is that now it is even less real than before if that makes sense. I mean, I know it's a fictionalized account of Adam F. Goldberg's life, but now it's even more fictionalized (I guess that's the right word) and it's just like Every Other Sitcom. But maybe we'll get a Very Special Episode someday. :)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, jmonique said:

I get that The Goldbergs is trying to set the stage each week for Schooled, but this was a lot of drama over a girl who had already left to go to college two seasons ago, and whose name Murry couldn't remember when flat out asked a few seasons ago. 

I was surprised that they actually swapped Coach Mellors, until I realized it must have been needed to allow Bryan Callen more time for Schooled

Other than that, it all felt like filler to draw attention to Schooled.

I hadn't really thought about that, that she already left once, so it makes it really weird now.  Why didn't anyone care about the Barry/Lainey break up this much last time?  lol.  That said, the one thing I have really liked about the last two episodes is the closeness of the characters and coming together over something.  Erica has had a better role the last two episodes and has played well into the storylines.  I feel like it is about them as a family again, and seeing some of the closeness play out.  

• Love 3

The Foxcatcher Farm bit was by far the best part of the episode. "But why would a billionaire want to coach wrestlers?" "Hard to say, he's an intense fella. Either way, its an opportunity of a lifetime with zero percent chance of ending badly." 

Also some good Dave Kim parts, as always. "Please dont eat me!" "Dave Kim has the Andromeda Strain." 

Its not going to be the same show without Mellor around. I guess I didnt really think that he couldn't do this show and do Schooled, but now it seems obvious. Damn. Its cool that the other coach Mellor will be around at least, but its really sad to see him go. 

All of the angst with Lainey leaving seems pretty overblown. She moved to California, she didnt die. She can come visit. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5

I enjoyed this episodes, despite it feeling like a set-up for Schooled.  The Pina-Colada song bit reminded me of the Arrivederci Fiero episode of How I Met Your Mother.  Only more annoying because a) I actually like (I'm Gonna Be) 500 Miles whereas I hate Escape, and b) the characters were forced to listen to just the chorus over and over rather than the whole song.

I also loved the Rosie Ruiz reference, but felt old when my nephews and niece had to have it explained to them.  Really, really old.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, babs j. said:

I thought Lainey was teaching at her old school in Jenkintown.  I know I haven't really been paying that much attention but the coach was in last week's episode.

In the future that show is set in the 90s after she went to LA, failed and moved back home. In “the 80s” Goldbergs timeline she is still in LA.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I also loved the Rosie Ruiz reference, but felt old when my nephews and niece had to have it explained to them.  Really, really old.

I had never heard of Rosie Ruiz, so I had to google her. really interesting story, and led me down a Wikki black hole of people who cheated at marathons by taking other forms of transport, going all the way back to 1904! So yea for learning new stuff!

• Love 4

I just hope this is the last of the breakup story for a while. I feel like the Barry/Laniey relationship has consumed the show this season and the other characters have been sidelined. Let's get back to wacky Adam movie making antics or Erica's singing (okay, maybe not that one so much).

3 hours ago, xander874 said:

I just hope this is the last of the breakup story for a while. I feel like the Barry/Laniey relationship has consumed the show this season and the other characters have been sidelined. Let's get back to wacky Adam movie making antics or Erica's singing (okay, maybe not that one so much).

I definitely want to see more of the JTP and of Dave Kim.

• Love 8