Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

17 hours ago, rmontro said:

Good point, as if raising a family is easy or something to be ashamed of.  Considering she had two doctor sons and a successful TV producer, I'd say she did a pretty good job.

Yeah, for all they make fun of her the real life person raised some amazingly successful people.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, qtpye said:

Yeah, for all they make fun of her the real life person raised some amazingly successful people.

And she probably still has unfulfilled hopes and dreams the two aren’t mutual exclusive. 

• Love 1

Beverly is actually my favorite on the show!! Her heart is endless for her kids and she will do anything no matter how crazy for them!! Yes she screams like the rest do..but its not as annoying to me as the kids or Murrays screams.  I do qish they would tone down the yelling!

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Miranda said:

Beverly is actually my favorite on the show!! Her heart is endless for her kids and she will do anything no matter how crazy for them!! Yes she screams like the rest do..but its not as annoying to me as the kids or Murrays screams.  I do qish they would tone down the yelling!

Barry shouts all of is lines, and the rest shout most of theirs.  I have no idea why.

• Love 1

Yes and the real Adam said his family was yelling all the time but still makes for annoying tv at times. They made the oldest son into Erica so they could tone the yelling down to make for better tv.

• Love 2
On 11/29/2018 at 11:12 AM, juliet73 said:

I think I'm over this show. Every episode has become the same: a kid(s) being a complete jerk to one or both parents, hurting the mom's feelings and Bev forgiving at the end. Throw in Erica's subpar singing and that is the show every single week. I feel like this has been going on for the last two seasons, at least.  At this point, the only part I look forward to is seeing the original footage at the end.

So Im not the only one that thinks that Erica is barely a singer...well honestly I cringe when she sings but yet she is supposedly a singer in real life??

• Love 2

With Geoff's help, Erica and Valley Erica find a new band member to replace Lainey; Barry convinces Geoff the new band member is trying to steal Erica from him; Adam and Murray each plot to get out of going to Valentine's Day dinner with Beverly.

Air date: February 13, 2019

Really ready for the Oedipal undertones of the Adam and Beverly relationship to be buried for good someday.

• Love 2

As soon as the guy said he was joining a garage band with some of his friends, I was just waiting to see who he actually was and who is band turned out to be. The amount of people who were somehow involved in Adams childhood who grew up to be well known is hilarious. 

The whole JTP showing up to be Barry's Valentines was sweet. JTP!

Pops and his banjo just made me want to see more of that. I wanna hear his thirteen minute song!

• Love 9

Not to be too literal, but how would Adam possibly be able to afford all the stuff he got for Bev when trying to pawn her off on Murray? 

I loved how the 3 other JTP guys all wanted to "play Erica." They are all so sweet to each other and remind me so much of a group of guys I grew up with who have been BFFs since we were 4 and are still that close 30(something) years later. 

Last thing about this episode (in a very broad sense) that I have to put somewhere because it was So Freaking Awesome! Earlier this week, Adam F. Goldberg retweeted with comment someone complaining about Jackie being "not the real Jackie." I commented something I think was pretty funny and Adam F(reaking) Goldberg REPLIED!!! 

• Love 11
31 minutes ago, justjen said:

Not to be too literal, but how would Adam possibly be able to afford all the stuff he got for Bev when trying to pawn her off on Murray? 

I loved how the 3 other JTP guys all wanted to "play Erica." They are all so sweet to each other and remind me so much of a group of guys I grew up with who have been BFFs since we were 4 and are still that close 30(something) years later. 

Last thing about this episode (in a very broad sense) that I have to put somewhere because it was So Freaking Awesome! Earlier this week, Adam F. Goldberg retweeted with comment someone complaining about Jackie being "not the real Jackie." I commented something I think was pretty funny and Adam F(reaking) Goldberg REPLIED!!! 

I kind of laughed as to how little screen time the new Jackie is used. Is she a bad actress or something? Her presence is only 3 minutes at most.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, justjen said:

Wasn’t the only thing that he actually got were the flowers and giant teddy bear? One was on the Kremps so a family account is plausible and secondly we know Pop’s gives him tons of money and based on everything in his life so do his parents. I think one thing that’s sort of weird is about the show is that they tried through the house and Murray’s job as a furniture salesman try to make them seem a little bit more more regular middle class than his actual childhood was so sometimes the stories don’t make sense. 

23 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Wasn’t the only thing that he actually got were the flowers and giant teddy bear? 

You're right, when he was arguing with Murray they were just spit-balling increasingly more extravagant gifts. Oops! 

10 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

As soon as the guy said he was joining a garage band with some of his friends, I was just waiting to see who he actually was and who is band turned out to be. The amount of people who were somehow involved in Adams childhood who grew up to be well known is hilarious. 

As soon as Geoff said his name was Evan and he was from Boston I thought, “Is this supposed to be Evan Dando?”

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Robert Lynch said:

I kind of laughed as to how little screen time the new Jackie is used. Is she a bad actress or something? Her presence is only 3 minutes at most.

After this week's episode, I've definitely decided I liked the first Jackie better.  But, as you say, she gets so little screen time that it doesn't matter that much.

I've heard of Evan Dando, and of the Lemonheads, although I probably couldn't have put them together, so it was cool to see him.  As soon as Geoff said the Kremps had a nephew who was a musician, I was wondering what real famous person it would turn out to be.

As always, I love the JTP.  They've become the best thing about the show.

• Love 9

I wasn't paying too close attention, so the Evan Dando reveal caught me by surprise and I loved it. I haven't thought about Confetti in years, but my love of the Lemonheads all came rushing back. I definitely remember cutting out Evan's picture from Sassy magazine, and thinking he was so cool because he agreed to be the prom date of one of his fans.

Evan Dando and Megan Wargula - Prom.jpg

• Love 12
On 1/31/2019 at 8:42 AM, blondiec0332 said:

I expected to see Bradley Cooper be on at the end.  He really did got to school in the Philadelphia suburbs.

Personally I was shocked they managed to find someone that could like Bradley as a teen. 

On 2/14/2019 at 12:45 AM, tennisgurl said:

Pops and his banjo just made me want to see more of that. I wanna hear his thirteen minute song!

Me too!  I completely lost it at Pops and his banjo, hahaha!

It would've been interesting to see how well (or terrible) he would be playing in Erica's band.

• Love 3

JTP for Life! JTP! "Matt Bradley, you came up with the one good idea you've ever had!"

Man, you can tell that Clancy Brown was relishing all of those Highlander references, including to that charming but misunderstood Kurgan. "There can be only one...Highlander Club!"

• Love 8
13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

JTP for Life! JTP! "Matt Bradley, you came up with the one good idea you've ever had!"

Man, you can tell that Clancy Brown was relishing all of those Highlander references, including to that charming but misunderstood Kurgan. "There can be only one...Highlander Club!"

Especially when he did the voice! Queen music never gets old. Clancy really made that film for it was. The sequels can't compete without his presence. 

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 6

I loved this episode...and I love Highlander!

When I first saw Clancy Brown on this show a while back, I thought "Well, they'll probably never reference Highlander now because that would be weird...but they went for it!  Since he's on 'Schooled' as well, I'm kinda hoping for some Mr. Krabs fun.

I liked Murray's story too.  Some of my best friends live far away and I only see them every few years, but I love them and understand that's how it goes as an adult.  

And less Erica this ep! 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Penguins71 said:

I loved this episode...and I love Highlander!

When I first saw Clancy Brown on this show a while back, I thought "Well, they'll probably never reference Highlander now because that would be weird...but they went for it!  Since he's on 'Schooled' as well, I'm kinda hoping for some Mr. Krabs fun.

I liked Murray's story too.  Some of my best friends live far away and I only see them every few years, but I love them and understand that's how it goes as an adult.  

And less Erica this ep! 

As soon as they were talking about Highlander, I kept saying: "Please let Clancy Brown reference everything." So beautiful! I can completely relate to both Murray and the JPT. Yes, we have Facebook and Snapchat these days. But really, I maybe interact with around 12 people from high school and those are the ones I've known since elementary school. People move, they have their own families. They lose jobs and parents pass away. So yes, as they say: "Life happens." 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, readster said:

As soon as they were talking about Highlander, I kept saying: "Please let Clancy Brown reference everything." So beautiful! I can completely relate to both Murray and the JPT. Yes, we have Facebook and Snapchat these days. But really, I maybe interact with around 12 people from high school and those are the ones I've known since elementary school. People move, they have their own families. They lose jobs and parents pass away. So yes, as they say: "Life happens." 

I liked this episode, too. It was a return to form after a couple of episodes that were pretty meh to begin with. The Highlander Club was interesting. Next, The Lost Boys, please...! A Jamie Gertz guest spot would be fun. I know she is part owner of the Atlanta Hawks and all, but a guest spot would be awesome. I know they touched upon the Lost Boys a couple of seasons ago, but I would like a dedication to the film itself. Or Near Dark would be nice to add.

• Love 6

Sigh, another episode based on an 80s movie.

The stuff with the Jokers and JTP was heart warming though.  If I'm not mistaken, they implied that Real Barry pays for five season tickets for the Eagles every year for himself and his friends.  Pretty nice of him.  I was also intrigued by those "Liberty Seats" or whatever they were called, where you had seats for every event of the year in Veteran's Stadium (I think).  He said they cost $10,000, but I imagine they would be much more expensive today.  Unfortunately, they Phillies and Eagles no longer play in the same stadium.

This show is getting really formulaic.  Pick a theme based on an 80s movie, throw in another subplot, and play a song over the last five minutes as you wrap everything up.

8 hours ago, Penguins71 said:

And less Erica this ep! 

I don't mind Erica, she makes great eye candy.  I just don't want to hear her sing.  Not that she's bad, I'm just not interested.  They really need to find something for her to do with her life other than nap on the couch.  Considering this family raised two doctors and a TV writer/producer, I doubt that they would tolerate her underachieving like this.

• Love 3

The core cast has been so fleshed out I'm really enjoying some of the dives into the extended cast. Great episode for Johnny Atkins (which... Wow. Didn't think I'd have said that), Carla, and Dave Kim; as well as some nice further developments with the non-Barry and Geoff JTP (JTP!). I thought the parallels to the Jokers was particularly nice too.

"Smiles???"

• Love 7

I hope the Carla/Dave Kim thing isn't a one-off because that could be funny stuff. It wasn't a major part of the episode, but knowing that Johnny becomes a janitor at the school made the talk about the future with him seem pointless.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, One4Sorrow2TooBad said:

What was it Johnny Atkins said in Schooled , something like "he's the king of the bucket" ,  as he was mopping the hallway. 

While CB was talking about potential colleges for John's niece with that sounded like Ivy League School but clearly weren't, Johnny mentioned that he was an alumni to one of those schools.

• Love 2

I am....not a fan of Christopher Lambert but I am AWARE of Highlander so still enjoyed this ep.

So because of that I didn’t know the shop teacher was in Highlander but I am curious how he looks older on The Goldbergs than on Schooled.

I guess the waiting list for Eagles games is shorter than for say the Packers if Barry was able to get five season tickets in the 90’s or aughts.  I’m assuming it’s a lifetime thing?

Clancy Brown is one busy man. Doing more than one show and recently adding voice acting in video games, that's an achievement itself. There is a reason why he is called the Kurgan. He deserves mad respects.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 3

I was not a fan of this episode really at all.  I thought the guest from Ukraine/Russia (can't remember) was clearly not very friendly from the start.  So though the kids acted stupid, it wasn't like he was putting in any effort.  And the grandpa didn't hang out with them at all, or try to help the time with him go any better.  I also didn't like how insulting he was to the kids--he knows what they are like and that they are generally good.  I didn't understand the lack of love in this situation.  None of it made sense to me.

As for Bev, I know she is insufferable, but I got the sense that she was having good relationships with the women.  I thought it was strange how they made her so awful all of the sudden, because they never would have been friends if that is all that had been happening.  And then at the end for her to be so nice after the earlier behavior, again, not really getting it.

• Love 17

I agree. This episode was a swing and a miss.

Why did Pops just let the kids go off with the cousin and expect them to be any different than how they are? He should've gone with them if he wanted them to learn to be grateful for the life they have. Just sending someone out to learn a lesson with no input or instruction is setting them up for failure. It would be like telling a 15 year old to go learn how to drive a stick shift on their own with no instruction. What kinda shape do  you think the car is gonna come back in?

And the Bev storyline did nothing for me.

I'm really starting to like Schooled better than this show.

Edited by Aryanna
  • Love 11
32 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

I agree. This episode was a swing and a miss.

Why did Pops just let the kids go off with the cousin and expect them to be any different than how they are? He should've gone with them if he wanted them to learn to be grateful for the life they have. Just sending someone out to learn a lesson with no input or instruction is setting them up for failure. It would be like telling a 15 year old to go learn how to drive a stick shift on their own with no instruction. What kinda shape do  you think the car is gonna come back in?

And the Bev storyline did nothing for me.

I'm really starting to like Schooled better than this show.

Agree with everything except I am not a huge fan of Schooled 🙂  I keep trying that show but am tempted to stop watching... this week's episode was a little better. 

• Love 5

No movie this week, it's based around a TV show instead.  I agree with the others, this was not one of the better episodes.  

Although maybe the reason the Grandpa didn't go with them was because they were sneaking Gleb off behind his back to take advantage of him.  They couldn't do that with Grandpa around.

Nice video of the two Glebs at the end of the show.

I'm enjoying Schooled so far.  It has the advantage of not being so closely tied to Adams's family, I suppose.  So there's probably greater flexibility to tell a story.  

• Love 3

This was one of the worst episodes ever - and that's saying a lot!  I'm glad Gleb revealed that he was on to what the kids were getting him to do, though what Grandpa expected of them was beyond me.  And Bev! Don't get me started.  She's so horrible to the "frentas," I don't get why any of them even pretend to like her.  And Murray only helped to get her to leave him alone.  

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Aryanna said:

I'm really starting to like Schooled better than this show

I wouldn't go that far.  I find Schooled to be pretty meh.

I wasn't a big fan of this episode.  I do like that Gleb was onto the scheme, and think the kids did need to be shown how spoiled they are, but I think Pops would do it more gently.  And yes, he really should've been part of their interactions with Gleb, at least at first.  The Frenta storyline did nothing for me, although the scene where Murray was talking to them and couldn't remember anyone's name was funny.

• Love 6

Not as good as last week, but it had its moments. I always love when narrator Adam has to clarify to the audience that this really did happen, because you know its going to be extra ridiculous.

I mean, everyone except for Murray and Bill was kind of a dick this episode. Especially Bev, I mean, holy crap just listen to your friends for three second! Although, I am kind of amused that Murray still cant remember Jeff's name.

Really, whenever I hear someone mention Perfect Strangers now, I just think of The Leftovers and three of the four main cast members being raptured, with Mark Linn Baker being very salty about being left behind.

• Love 8