Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, lh25 said:

Have they ever addressed the issue of a Jewish family who is at least observant enough to celebrate some holidays having Shrimp parm as a family staple dish?  Or am I offbase about shellfish and Judaism?

No, you're correct, shellfish is not kosher.  As far as I know, they've never said anything about it.  The Goldberg's have never eaten kosher.  They regularly eat meat and cheese together, and shellfish.  But honestly, as someone who works in a synagogue and so knows literally hundreds of Jewish families with varying degrees of observance, a lot of our members don't keep kosher at all (except during Passover).

I think I did see Pops eat Hamantashen in one episode last year (or maybe before), but that's about it.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, lh25 said:

Have they ever addressed the issue of a Jewish family who is at least observant enough to celebrate some holidays having Shrimp parm as a family staple dish?  Or am I offbase about shellfish and Judaism?

17 hours ago, Nessie said:

No, you're correct, shellfish is not kosher.  As far as I know, they've never said anything about it.  The Goldberg's have never eaten kosher.  They regularly eat meat and cheese together, and shellfish.  But honestly, as someone who works in a synagogue and so knows literally hundreds of Jewish families with varying degrees of observance, a lot of our members don't keep kosher at all (except during Passover).

I think I did see Pops eat Hamantashen in one episode last year (or maybe before), but that's about it.

I was raised in a Jewish home much like the Goldbergs (food wise). We did not keep Kosher, at all, while I was sent to Sunday School at a very reformed synagogue and we attended services for the "High Holidays". The closest thing my mom enforced was no bread during Passover but it didn't involve scrubbing the kitchen or purging the house. I think bread was frozen so it didn't go bad and cookies / snack cakes were off limits.

When I go home next week my mom and I will be making Hamentashen, a few weeks too late. But who cares, they're delicious. 

I would like this "shrimp parm" recipe. It sounds terrible for me and delicious.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

The Dropouts are thrilled when they book a gig at a charity carnival; Adam makes his very first rockumentary; Beverly's concerns about Murray's health push him to the limit.

Edited by jmonique

I know we shouldn't get hung up on dates but I am almost positive that Mike Schmidt retiring and the Flyers Wives Carnival did not happen at the same time.   The carnival is usually sometime in November , Mike Schmidt retired May 29 1989 his last game was may 28th which would be the off season for Hockey. 

• Love 1

I am just happy that the voice over announced that The Dropouts are over and done. They had one real gig, and now we can finally move on from this Erica storyline and find something else for her to do.

Knowing that this is the start of Murray's health problems makes his story pretty sad, even if his plot was the funniest one for me. 

"I am going to be a manager for my temperamental girlfriends band! I see no way this can end badly!"

• Love 9
1 hour ago, shoregirl said:

I know we shouldn't get hung up on dates but I am almost positive that Mike Schmidt retiring and the Flyers Wives Carnival did not happen at the same time.   The carnival is usually sometime in November , Mike Schmidt retired May 29 1989 his last game was may 28th which would be the off season for Hockey. 

I just assumed it was some sort of off-season event, like the kind the Baltimore Ravens players and wives sometimes host.  I'm not a hockey fan, so the timing didn't even cross my mind.  Not saying you're wrong for noticing, though.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I just assumed it was some sort of off-season event, like the kind the Baltimore Ravens players and wives sometimes host.  I'm not a hockey fan, so the timing didn't even cross my mind.  Not saying you're wrong for noticing, though.

It takes place during the season usually in November.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

They always mis-date events and put things together that shouldn't be. I still haven't gotten over Laney and Erica singing "Eternal Flame" (1988) while Bev was obsessed with the Royal Wedding (1981). But it is odd that they would do that with 2 things so closely tied together. The retiring thing was barely a thing.

• Love 2

When I was a kid in the 70s, I had some friends whose Mom had a living room that was Off-Limits to us all.  She had all this old-looking, probably expensive, furniture in there as well as lots of bric-brac and knick-knacks (i.e.-seemingly useless stuff), and she kept the room in pristine condition at all times.  I remember we would go over there and just lay on the floor in the hallway, looking in to this fancy room and wanting to run in there SO BADLY, just because we weren't supposed to! LOL

FWIW, I think Erica is a very good singer (but her band storyline is getting old).

• Love 3

Just so glad that it seems like this Erica plot is finally moving forward, at last, 

I love any episode with lots of JTP in it. JTP! "Shut up, closet Matt Bradley!"

So is Kim going to be the woman that Barry actually goes onto marry?

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

So is Kim going to be the woman that Barry actually goes onto marry?

I don’t know if they will go there but Kim is the name of Barry’s real life wife.

• Useful 4
  • Love 5

I assume Kim will pop up next season. I liked her and loved all things JTP, although I it doesn't feel complete without Geoff there. I understand he was involved in Erica's story but it seemed odd he wasn't part of the color day thing. And it was great to see Barry really does like Matt because otherwise, I have no idea why he keeps hanging with them.

• Love 9

Geoff is such a loving, sweet, supportive boyfriend, even through all of Erica's annoying post-dropping out plots. I giggled at "I'm just psyched you think I have a cute tush."

Having just learned that Barry's real wife is named Kim earlier today on the Schooled forum, It's ironic that she was just introduced this episode. I'm hoping this puts the Barry/Lainey limbo to rest, because it's getting ridiculous that a couple that can no longer exist on either show is hanging up storyline development on both shows – despite supposedly occurring what, at least 5 to 7 years apart? However, I'm not sure if Kim will appear on future episodes moving forward, because I think Barry's line about "crossing paths in the future" is probably referencing the fact that they didn't start dating until X years after high school. I just hope Schooled lets Lainey move on soon because it's super weird watching her deflect her current love interest for a character that's not only off-screen, but only tangentially in universe to begin with. It's like a love triangle with a ghost!

I heart Matt Bradley. He was the MVP of this ep, and watching him genuinely tear up when Barry finally admitted how much he meant to him was so sweet. 

• Love 5

I wonder if it was relevant that Kim said she wanted to be a teacher while on Schooled Lainey is a teacher? Or maybe Barry's RL wife is a teacher and it wasn't a plot point.

• Love 2
(edited)

1 minute ago, Mulva said:

After Adam decides to see "Willow" instead of spending Mother's Day with Beverly, he must find a way to get back into her good graces; Barry is tired of his status as middle child and fights Erica for his right to the college of his choice.

Edited by Mulva
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was right there with the photo place guy. "I dont know why an old guy wants this picture, but I know I dont want any part in it." "Its for my mom!" "Not making it better, Adam." 

Oh Adam, Willow is so not worth that much hassle. How they describe it is....pretty accurate. Willow is...Willow. Val Kilmer is... in the movie. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1

I thought the episode pretty much sucked. We have been there, done that with the whole Beverly on Mothers Day thing. I just don’t care. As for the college thing, that story was weak too. 

• Love 10
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I was right there with the photo place guy. "I dont know why an old guy wants this picture, but I know I dont want any part in it." "Its for my mom!" "Not making it better, Adam." 

Oh Adam, Willow is so not worth that much hassle. How they describe it is....pretty accurate. Willow is...Willow. Val Kilmer is... in the movie. 

I didn't understand Adam's reasoning at all. Trying to recreate a moment in the past is not something you want to do to win your mother's love. All this could have beeen sorted out before any of the mess occurred. 

Another episode where one of the kids treats Beverly like garbage. And the other two siblings treat each other like garbage. I think the show has run it's course and this season proves it.

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, juliet73 said:

Another episode where one of the kids treats Beverly like garbage. And the other two siblings treat each other like garbage. I think the show has run it's course and this season proves it.

I love the Goldberg's but yes, if they are going to recycle this storyline any further, I would have to agree.  I think there are many more things they can cover, so it doesn't have to be done--it is just up to the writers to be more creative.  That all said, I actually side with the kids on these storylines.  I think Beverly is getting what she deserves to some degree.  We all know the kids would be nicer if they didn't feel forced to overdo it.  Not that you should be mean to your mom, but she doesn't make it easy to be nice either.

22 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Awwww, I like Willow!

But yeah, it is kind of just . . . Willow.  lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, alexa said:

As for the college thing, that story was weak too. 

I felt sorry for Barry.  Not because Erica got in to Penn, but because of Murray's over-the-top reaction to her getting in.  Barry is literally no one's favorite in his family.  Not Murray's, not Beverly's, not Pops'.  Erica mostly treats him like he's a problem she'd gladly get rid of, and even Adam waxes and wanes in his feelings.  So I understand him getting upset about Murray's reaction.  Of course, being Barry, he took it to ridiculous extremes, but the underlying emotions were kind of heartbreaking.

• Love 3

Actually the Middle had the same story line when Axl did not want Sue to attend "his" college.  Since Penn is in downtown Philadelphia will they stay at home and commute? 

• Love 4
(edited)

I love my mother as much as the next person, but when the real Beverly Goldberg explained her way of loving one's children, I thought that was extreme. I can't blame them for one of the children being upset with her. She seemed like an extremely difficult person to be around, but then again I knew friends who had a mother just like Beverly.

Edited by Robert Lynch
  • Love 2
On ‎05‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 7:44 PM, Robert Lynch said:

I love my mother as much as the next person, but when the real Beverly Goldberg explained her way of loving one's children, I thought that was extreme. I can't blame them for one of the children being upset with her. She seemed like an extremely difficult person to be around, but then again I knew friends who had a mother just like Beverly.

She makes my mother (to whom I am close) look icy and distant in comparison.  Sounds like she really was a smother, and I don't necessarily blame the kids for wanting to escape that.  But the storyline is getting repetitive, and they need to move on.

On 5/3/2019 at 3:32 PM, proserpina65 said:

I felt sorry for Barry.  Not because Erica got in to Penn, but because of Murray's over-the-top reaction to her getting in.  Barry is literally no one's favorite in his family.  Not Murray's, not Beverly's, not Pops'.  Erica mostly treats him like he's a problem she'd gladly get rid of, and even Adam waxes and wanes in his feelings.  So I understand him getting upset about Murray's reaction.  Of course, being Barry, he took it to ridiculous extremes, but the underlying emotions were kind of heartbreaking.

I found it extremely out of character for Murray to want two of his kids to attend Penn, an expensive private school, at the same time.

22 minutes ago, gaucho91 said:

I found it extremely out of character for Murray to want two of his kids to attend Penn, an expensive private school, at the same time.

Also agree and I find it very stupid that Barry was not told about his community service hours needed. That was something that was checked on every year by administration since the early 80s when it became a requirement. These days it reflects on their records more than ever and they need 30-40 hours. I never had to worry as I was involved in community and clean ups in my groups. Plus, with the way Bev is, she would have been on everyone to make sure Barry got his community service in. Of course, sitcoms treat schools and administrations like morons who got their licenses through mail in rebates. 

• Love 1

Have the writers also confused University Pennsylvania and Penn State in Happy Valley?

How can you "go away" to school when Penn is about 12 miles away?

The furniture store must be doing well as  tuition  at Penn in 1988 was $13,000 ($28k in 2019$) and room/board was $5k($11k) so double that and they would have been writing checks for $36k or  almost $80k in 2019 $.

2 hours ago, flyingdi said:

I though Murray attended Penn State not U of Penn?  I thought that's where Erica went for the interview she tried to blow off?

He did go to Penn State. But this season they both applied to Penn

1 hour ago, jww said:

It appears at least Barry will be living on campus so to Beverly I can easily see her characterizing it as that.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, jww said:

You live on campus instead of at home.  I don't know about Penn, but the Univ. of Delaware requires freshmen to live on campus unless their homes are within 30 miles - those exceptions require a lot of paperwork, though.  So maybe Penn encourages their freshmen to live on campus?  Idk, it's just a tv show, so I'll roll with it.

• Love 3

When Adam unintentionally lets it slip that Barry never completed his community service requirement, the brothers join together to throw the greatest breakdancing battle in the history of William Penn. Geoff's stress levels are at an all-time high, so Erica makes an adult decision and plans for them to follow the Grateful Dead all summer. Finally, it's the end of an era when the JTP graduates from high school.

I loathe the trope where somehow someone mysteriously doesn't do enough to graduate and only finds out at the last minute. LOATHE IT. 

• Love 4

"This just got good" I'm glad to know even Pop's can recognize the entertainment value of Barry's self-imposed riches of embarrassment. "I can't believe that's who you dated after me!" "He's sweet and has his charms.....but yeah this is not good" also had me laughing.

A couple quick thoughts:

1. I would absolutely check in on a weekly 8-minute web series of what is going on throughout the summer of the Matt Bradley, Ruben Amaro Jr, Erica Goldberg, Geoff Schwartz tour bus. Road tripping through the US, that inevitable evening by the camp-fire where the sexual tensions among the crew boils over.... while Geoff is planning the next day's tour stops.
  2. Murray loathing hippies continues to play so well. The irrationality of it fits with the character, and his face contorts in disgust just perfectly.
  3. Who plays Jackie next season? Or does Adam somehow find someone EVEN MORE perfect for him
  • LOL 3
  • Love 5
(edited)

This felt very series finale to me, although I dont think it actually is. Adam and Barry doing a disastrous break dance routine was hilarious, and Adam saying that Barry was his best friend was really cute. 

I would 100% watch a web series about Matt Bradley, Ruben Amaro Jr, Erica, and Geoff on a road trip following the Grateful Dead. Maybe with Murray showing up sometimes to rant about hippies.

"JTP"

*dignified* "JTP."

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

This felt very season finale to me, although I dont think it actually is.

It hasn’t been officially renewed but most people think it will be probably will be announced tomorrow or this weekend because upfronts are next week.

• Useful 4