Type keyword(s) to search

Season 6 Discussion

zoey1996
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Wow, I haven't seen Highlander since it came out in theaters in the 80's, so I had no idea that the shop teacher on the Goldbergs was in Highlander until I read this thread. Thanks!

Edited by Cowgirl
On 2/28/2019 at 1:44 PM, zoey1996 said:

And Murray only helped to get her to leave him alone.  

I disagree here, I thought he was genuinely concerned (surprisingly enough).  It was a case where he actually had the answer, so he jumped in and helped.  And when they patched everything up, he looked sincerely happy for Bev, I thought.

18 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Apparently the real Bev and the frientas are working on cookbook. Hard pass.

Really?  I thought it was pretty well established Beverly is a good cook.  I've thought about making Shrimp Parm several times after watching this show.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, rmontro said:

Really?  I thought it was pretty well established Beverly is a good cook.  I've thought about making Shrimp Parm several times after watching this show.

To me the only thing that’s been pretty well established that she makes gross bland casseroles.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

To me the only thing that’s been pretty well established that she makes gross bland casseroles.

I'm sure that was in an episode, but I don't remember that one.

• Love 1
On 3/3/2019 at 1:20 AM, Accidental Martyr said:

Another movie/TV show parody. *yawn*

I agree it gets tiresome, but apparently this one was also taken from real life, at least to some extent.  Adam Goldberg really has multiple cousins named Gleb.  It makes me wonder if he can create characters not based in his real life.  I'm sure he can, and has, but you probably wouldn't know it from watching this and Schooled.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, rmontro said:

I agree it gets tiresome, but apparently this one was also taken from real life, at least to some extent.  Adam Goldberg really has multiple cousins named Gleb.  It makes me wonder if he can create characters not based in his real life.  I'm sure he can, and has, but you probably wouldn't know it from watching this and Schooled.

But that is the whole point of this show--to show things based on his real life.  That is why a lot of people that watch it like it.  

• Love 5
On 3/3/2019 at 1:20 AM, Accidental Martyr said:

Another movie/TV show parody. *yawn*

Each show has its rhythm and typical scenarios, and for this show it is to use 80s subject matter to show the storyline.  I think at this point it is to be expected it could be about a movie or tv show or a game, etc, etc... It is fine not to like that, but that is really what the show has been doing for a long while.  I think it is easiest to expect it.  Just like with Schooled--I can expect some silly, sappy message about the life of teachers and students (and this is why I am considering not watching anymore--it gets a little unrealistic)

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, alexa said:

I think at this point it is to be expected it could be about a movie or tv show or a game, etc

Yeah, but it's just wearing thin at this point.  It's starting to come off like a parody of itself.  Perfect Strangers?

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Yeah, but it's just wearing thin at this point.  It's starting to come off like a parody of itself.  Perfect Strangers?

But I think it is only wearing thin, if you don't like it.  I don't mind it most of the time as they usually have other storylines at the same time.  The Perfect Strangers was just a small bit, it was really more about them learning to spend better quality time with their cousin, imo.  

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, alexa said:

But I think it is only wearing thin, if you don't like it.  I don't mind it most of the time as they usually have other storylines at the same time.  The Perfect Strangers was just a small bit, it was really more about them learning to spend better quality time with their cousin, imo.  

Well, I still like the show.  It's never been my favorite, but it's on my watch list.  I just find all the movie and TV show references distracting, they take me out of the story.  I know the real Adam Goldberg liked movies, but it ends up being a bit much.  How many times do you watch a movie or TV show, and say "Hey, let's act out the plot of that in our real lives"?

• Love 2

The Perfect Strangers theme song is one of the songs I sing in the shower (the others are the Different World and 227 theme songs, my showers have a very specific late-mid80s-early90s tone), so I KNEW either Erica would sing it as some point or it would be featured. And it was featured along with a near copy of the opening of the show.  

Because of that and my love of this song, I didn't pay too much attention to the actual content. I honestly spent a lot of the episode trying to figure out which 90s commercial I remember Joey Slotnick from -- I thought it was the Bitter Beer Face one, but now I'm not sure. So if anyone knows that, please let me know as it is *almost* keeping me up at nights. 

I also determined that they are turning Beverly into an absolute ass. There's no way real Bev is that self-centered and narcissistic and still has relationships with friends and family.  If she is, she needs help...or to be punched in the face. It actively pisses me off. 

In conclusion (Thanksgiving):, I liked the show just for the Perfect Strangers theme song, Joey Slotnick was very distracting, Bev is a mega-douche and I'm over it. 

• Love 2
On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, rmontro said:

I just find all the movie and TV show references distracting, they take me out of the story. 

Whereas I like them because I remember most of them.  To each their own.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Whereas I like them because I remember most of them.  To each their own.

Oh, I remember them.  I'm old enough that I can go back to the '60s if you want.  If Adam Goldberg was 20 years older, we'd be getting episodes based on The Munsters, Mr Ed, I Dream of Jeannie, and Gilligan's Island.

I thought it was funny that his aired this week given the college admission cheating scandal!

This reinforces my opinion that Beverly Is a disgusting cook.

My teachers always let me read my recommendations before they were sent. 

The muting of “college” was annoying as fuck.

Spoiler from Schooled:

Spoiler

Erica and Jeff are still together and he has a successful practice in Norfolk.

Edited by biakbiak

I thought this episode was okay but not one of the best. I don't like that Murray suddenly has an entirely different disposition - wasn't he upset about the expense of sending Erica to college or did I make that up? We've also seen him really supportive and not be like he was in this episode. I don't know how to explain it, it just seemed off.  It did renew my 1980s crush on Steve Guttenberg. He can do no wrong.

One unexpected detail I noticed (because I can't help but notice tiny background stuff), we know Fred Savage directed the episode but ALSO the director or cameraman or whatever at the public access station was played by Steve Hytner who played Fred Savage's coworker in the TV show Working.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, justjen said:

I thought this episode was okay but not one of the best. I don't like that Murray suddenly has an entirely different disposition - wasn't he upset about the expense of sending Erica to college or did I make that up? We've also seen him really supportive and not be like he was in this episode. I don't know how to explain it, it just seemed off.  It did renew my 1980s crush on Steve Guttenberg. He can do no wrong.

One unexpected detail I noticed (because I can't help but notice tiny background stuff), we know Fred Savage directed the episode but ALSO the director or cameraman or whatever at the public access station was played by Steve Hytner who played Fred Savage's coworker in the TV show Working.  

I saw Fred Savage's name too, and looked it up.  It said he had directed an episode several years back as well, I think.  

As for Murray and Erica, I think the issue was that she wanted to go to an out of state school instead of in state, thus costing much more.  Plus she wanted to go for fine arts or whatever, related to her music, which I think he was opposed to.  I could be wrong, but I think it had to do with her choices, and not college in general.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

My teachers always let me read my recommendations before they were sent. 

I didn't need any when I went to college.

I thought this episode was okay, but not great.  The JTP was the best thing about it.  I loved that Matt Bradley said that "stop talking, Matt Bradley" was what Barry said to him when he told Barry he needed teacher recommendations.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, justjen said:

wasn't he upset about the expense of sending Erica to college or did I make that up? We'

I thought he was upset about spending money on art school and her dropping out. 

• Love 2

Murray magically appearing every time someone says the word college made me laugh probably more than it should. He really moves quickly! 

They need to find something for Erica to do, she has basically nothing going on right now, and its just a waste of time. I mean, we have some ideas on what happens thanks to Schooled, but lets get a moving!

A episode is automatically better with the addition of more JTP. "I just cherish every moment with you guys." JTP!

"Your a person...so act...like a person..." Really, thats pretty solid advice, I know a few actors who should take it 😉 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, justjen said:

Steve Guttenberg is just a treasure.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Murray magically appearing every time someone says the word college made me laugh probably more than it should. He really moves quickly! 

They need to find something for Erica to do, she has basically nothing going on right now, and its just a waste of time. I mean, we have some ideas on what happens thanks to Schooled, but lets get a moving!

A episode is automatically better with the addition of more JTP. "I just cherish every moment with you guys." JTP!

"Your a person...so act...like a person..." Really, thats pretty solid advice, I know a few actors who should take it 😉 

Is that anything like "You're a person... so shout all your lines"?

We didn't really find out what Erica is going to do on Schooled, we know what happened with Geoff - unless I missed something.

Murray can really move quickly - when he wants to, apparently.  I wonder if he's like that in the furniture store?  A customer wonders how much a couch is, and poof he appears.

• LOL 4
18 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Some of us don't watch Schooled.

On 3/14/2019 at 1:58 PM, proserpina65 said:

I didn't need any when I went to college.

Neither did I, but my daughter did.  She graduated high school in 1989, and she applied to MIT and needed a recommendation for that.  She didn't get in, anyway.  She went to a state school, where if you graduated high school in the state, you had to be admitted.

Since she was in high school in the late 80's, you'd think I would relate more to this show, but I don't.  Part of that is because she was an only child.   I was divorced by then, so I worked a full-time job, and money was always an issue.  DD worked all through high school until her senior year.  Most of her friends worked, too.

• Love 1

I just can barely watch this show because of how over the top Beverly is obsessed with her adolescent son. She keeps makinf weird comments and it’s just gross !

I know they are exaggerating for comedy, but it’s just too much .   At least I hope they are exaggerating for comedy ! 

Ericka’s plot is just pointless now .  Had xoipd have a job of some kind . And Barry is just too stupid ! How on earth did he ever become a doctor?

I think all sitcoms on ABC seem to be exaggerating their characters to the point that they are cartoons ! 

I don’t watch schooled because I can’t grt past the premise that a girl who was in a band and dropped out of college just goes to an interview with no degree or certification and suddenly is a teacher ! Plus , I think Lainey was a dud on the Goldberg’s and still is !

• Love 8

I don't mind the OTT type of comedy on some shows, heck, I loved how Scrubs used to do that all the time with the fantasy scenes  with JD,Perry, and all. 😀  If you aren't into the shows , change the channel , there's usually something good on elsewhere.  😉

• Love 3

I enjoyed the episode very much. Cute play on the Eric-Erica switch. And nice to see that Eric really pulled the stunts that Erica got credit for on the show, something they were never able to show before as usual at the end of each episode. Murray never ceases to surprise.

• Love 9
36 minutes ago, Bobbin said:

And nice to see that Eric really pulled the stunts that Erica got credit for on the show, something they were never able to show before as usual at the end of each episode. 

They showed the car on the episode where it happened including photo of Eric and the car but the VO just said his “sibling” even though it clearly wasn’t Barry.

• Love 3

What happened to Valley (college-roommate) Erica?

Didn't we get the info on the arrest last year, when Erica and Barry went to Florida for Spring Break?  

Is the show on its last legs?  How long before there is an episode of the Goldbergs watching Adam's old videos?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, nora1992 said:

What happened to Valley (college-roommate) Erica?

Didn't we get the info on the arrest last year, when Erica and Barry went to Florida for Spring Break?  

Is the show on its last legs?  How long before there is an episode of the Goldbergs watching Adam's old videos?

I do feel like they are starting to phase the Goldbergs out. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I do feel like they are starting to phase the Goldbergs out. 

Yes. and you are seeing various background characters transitioning to Schooled, which is going to get another season. It wouldn't be the hard for them to move the characters that are still alive in the 90s over there. Including Barry, Erica and others. 

• Love 3

I liked the complaints people had about the game. They are the same complaints you hear about the show itself.

Also, the guy that played Adam's teacher is the guy that does Tina's voice on Bob's Burgers.

Edited by Aryanna
  • Love 10

I couldn't get past the idea that Adam, Jackie and Dave managed to design, animate and program a complex, multi-level, incredibly well animated (for the era, obvs) game in a day or two. It completely and utterly shattered my suspension of disbelief as it was such utter nonsense. If the characters had spontaneously developed super-powers for the episode it would have been more believable. And to have such nonsense be written in as clearly nothing more than a vehicle for a load of meta jokes was just narcissistically self-indulgent.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, AllyB said:

I couldn't get past the idea that Adam, Jackie and Dave managed to design, animate and program a complex, multi-level, incredibly well animated (for the era, obvs) game in a day or two. It completely and utterly shattered my suspension of disbelief as it was such utter nonsense. If the characters had spontaneously developed super-powers for the episode it would have been more believable. And to have such nonsense be written in as clearly nothing more than a vehicle for a load of meta jokes was just narcissistically self-indulgent.

The episode was never meant to be realistic at all.  It more of an homage to all the truly fun games we played in the 80s, complete with now horrible graphics that at the time were cutting edge.  As for programming I was super-excited when I got the TI-99/4A to print my name across the screen and change colors while doing it.  We were not doing that at school and it would have had to be an extremely elite private school to have computers in class for student use before 1987 or so (my public school didn't get them until 1990 and they were macs).

Most of the show is "narcissistically self-indulgent", but it also brings to mine the carefree 80s we experienced as kids.  And clearly the 80s were not nearly as carefree as my memory holds, but that's how memory works.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, kirkola said:

were not doing that at school and it would have had to be an extremely elite private school to have computers in class for student use before 1987 or so (my public school didn't get them until 1990 and they were macs).

Well it is a private school but that also varies by school district. I went to a public elementary school and we had a computer in each classroom to use on the mid 1980s and computer labs in Junior High.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Well it is a private school but that also varies by school district. I went to a public elementary school and we had a computer in each classroom to use on the mid 1980s and computer labs in Junior High.

My local public community college switched over (typewriter to pc) in 1983.  So I had access from a very early age that most kids did not.  The families of the faculty and staff had some privileges since everyone needed to learn to use them fairly quickly, more than a few were loaned out for training purposes.  And yet it still took my local high school (same town) 7 years to get them as a library "computer lab" set.  And even then, it was an individual donating the set to the school. So it's possible that his school had one, but not a guarantee.

So much meta this week! The complaints people had about the game/show were hilarious, especially Erica becoming Eric, and her reactions to Eric, the wannabe rock star loser. 

I get the feeling the show is starting to inch towards its ending, especially with this really meta "why Adam created the show" episode.

• Love 5

Have they ever addressed the issue of a Jewish family who is at least observant enough to celebrate some holidays having Shrimp parm as a family staple dish?  Or am I offbase about shellfish and Judaism?