Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 9/3/2018

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Stacee said:

NYT said they know who the author of the OP-ed is and have confirmed he/she works in the White House. I don't agree with Whoopis opinion that its a plant because I believe the NYT fully vetted the individual prior to posting - especially since all trump does is whine about fake news. 

OT: Tunia I love your avatar! ?

I think it's Kelly or Conway.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

As much as I wish this show was what it was intended to be and once was with Meredith, Star, etc but that ship has long since sailed.  As much as it has become a train wreck not every cohost at that table feels that way.  Whoopi mostly phones it in but Joy and Sunny take their job seriously and try to at least put out accurate information.   Meghan is there to remind us all she is a Republican.

I agree with this. I definitely don't treat the show like it's Dateline or 60 Minutes especially not now that McCain has become The View parasite, I don't believe it's as good as it was during the Meredith years, and I don't get my news from this show either. That doesn't mean The View couldn't be a moderately decent talkshow and I definitely don't plan to stop criticizing ABC for keeping vile trash like McCain around who treats this show like it's a wrestling match or the Real Housewives, disrupting the potential better co-hosts bring and have brought to the table. If I had ever wanted to watch the Real Housewives, I would have just done so.

• Love 18
On 9/5/2018 at 11:54 AM, SunFun said:

She makes me scream. Pageant queen depth on all topics.

Absolutely.  Yes, she's (so far) not as annoying as Meghan, but OMG she is ill-informed and not very bright.  She has no understanding of even the most basic facts, and it doesn't seem to bother her.  She's a "sit there and look pretty" girl, armed with talking points that she seems proud of even when it's pointed out that her facts are incorrect.  Not everyone needs to be an intellectual, but I just can't see her having any meaningful kind of conversation or contributing anything of value.  Surely there are other women far more suited for this job.  I didn't know if I would like her or not, but I certainly never expected her to be so shallow.

(I actually know a very successful (and fairly well-known) pageant queen, and she's very smart, well-informed, and well-read.  I know you meant no disrespect to pageant queens who do have brains and know how to use them, but I totally get your point.)  :-)

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Onceafan said:

I had the opposite reaction, I actually got really mad that Whoopi suggested that the source could be fake. The New York Times editor, Jim Dao, claims to know the identity of the person who wrote the piece, at that they communicated through an intermediary, who Dao knows well and trusts.

To put out there that this could possibly be "fake news" I think helps to feed into Trump's claims about the media attacking him, and publishing fake news. To believe that this is fake, is to believe that the New York Times editor, is lying, and I just don't believe that.

So I got mad that Whoopi was pushing a theory of "fake news" when a piece shows Trump in a bad light.

I actually think whoppi was implying fake in that it serves Trump's assertions of the deep state, thus making his voters more likely to turn out and keep Republicans in power. Sort of a strategy that Trump would be in on. If that's the case, the admin is playing the NYT.

Edited by DB in CMH
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, fishsanwitt said:

I couldn't believe that Joy had to ask (twice!) whether or not Abby understood why Colin Kapernick (sp?) was kneeling and she never got an answer. 

Maybe she'll need a blue card to help her answer any questions in future, too, lol.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, DebbieM4 said:

She has no understanding of even the most basic facts,

I was aghast at the seemingly no empathy for others.  She seemed shocked when Sunny was talking about her son being a black teen in America.  Her shocked face was there again as Whoopi had to explain about the vote for blacks and how not everyone experiences our country the same way.  It is shocking that most people don't know, or even read, the entire anthem.

There is a Google box some people should use it.

• Love 16

Abby:  My dad this, my dad that.  We get it.  Drop it, it's already getting old.

Loved it that at one point during a heated debate, Joy said to Abby, "Do you understand?"  I think that Joy can't stand Abby and is having a hard time disguising it.  I wonder if Joy is thinking this might be her last season.  Not sure she is enjoying it anymore.  When MM comes back, it may be just too much for her.  Would not blame her.

• Love 21
5 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Abby:  My dad this, my dad that.  We get it.  Drop it, it's already getting old.

I hope she drops the "my dad" thing by the time Meghan gets back. Otherwise, I suspect every time Abby says "my dad", Meghan will burst into tears.

• Love 10
7 hours ago, debbie311 said:

Loved it that at one point during a heated debate, Joy said to Abby, "Do you understand?"  I think that Joy can't stand Abby and is having a hard time disguising it.  I wonder if Joy is thinking this might be her last season.  Not sure she is enjoying it anymore.  When MM comes back, it may be just too much for her.  Would not blame her.

Joy doesn't look happy. It was bad enough for her with Meghan and she has Meghan's "sister".

She is going to be 76 next month and doesn't need the stress of this show. Really she doesn't.

• Love 14
19 minutes ago, OnTime said:

Joy doesn't look happy. It was bad enough for her with Meghan and she has Meghan's "sister".

She is going to be 76 next month and doesn't need the stress of this show. Really she doesn't.

Joy is a big girl.

• Love 11

18 minutes ago, OnTime said:

If Joy did leave the right would crow that Meghan drove her away.  They hate Joy and Meghan seems to enjoy needling her.

I can only speak for myself but if someone was intentionally poking me to get a rise out of me I would not give them the satisfaction of showing them it bothered me.

• Love 12

I think Joy is just tired of hearing the same narratives on certain issues and has resorted to trying to explain things as if she were talking to a child. Her interaction with Abby reminded me of a parent trying to explain something important and easy to understand to their child and then they get exasperated when they realize that their child isn't grasping simple concepts. I believe Joy when she says that she does genuinely worry about the state of her country and I think her exhaustion comes from how much politics is dominating the conversation. It's become her job to be in the know and when you're made to ingest all of that, it's hard to turn it off and pretend like it doesn't exist. I think she's feeling the weight of the constant barrage of political information that is being released and it seems to get more and more crazy. So that to say, I think her demeanor may be more a reflection of having to talk about such serious issues all of the time, every single day than it may be about her co-stars. She's got thick skin (she's a comedian after all) and there are several times where it seems she's genuinely amused by Meghan's tantrums directed at Joy when Joy says something Meghan doesn't like. If the show had less political hot topics and guests, it may be easier on Joy's poor heart.

• Love 16

Meghan was praised for her eulogy and I heard her referred to more than once as an emerging super star. It is possible that she will be offered her own show. That's one way of getting rid of her. Works for me.

I'm waiting to see how Abby performs with Meghan there. Meghan demands total loyalty to her positions and Abby is more centrist. How long before Meghan calls her  Rino.

• Love 11

Is it just me, or does everyone else on the panel seem to be enjoying themselves so much more without Meggie?  Everybody's participating, everybody is smiling, everybody is getting a f*cking chance to talk.   I agree with Morgalisa above, that the interaction between 'relatively reasonable' Abby and off-the-rails, screechy, entitled bitch MM is going to be interesting.  And yes yes yes, to Megs getting her own show.  Pleeeeeeze!!!!!   Somebody, somewhere, hire her.  I am begging you.

• Love 16
23 minutes ago, Ladyrain said:

Is it just me, or does everyone else on the panel seem to be enjoying themselves so much more without Meggie?

This is only my second day watching the new season and the vibe is definitely different. Whoopi is more worked-up; Sunny isn't playing the coy girl role; Joy is being Joy, lol. The ladies seem much more vocal and less tense without that Negative Nancy screeching and whining about the audience not clapping.

I mentioned this yesterday but Whoopi is much more willing to shut-down Abby than she ever has been with Meghan - reading things off her blue card to Abby, cutting her off, ect. Abby is the new Jed for Whoopi. I wonder how long before the execs move her to the other side of the table, like they moved Jed.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 12

I was banging my head on the table when Whoopi's argument was "because it says so on the blue card." 

They completely mangled the whole Corey Booker discussion. I think Sunny was the only one who watched it but she didn't get a chance to explain what had happened. 

• Love 19

I did not even make it to the first commercial break before I was rolling my eyes at how unprepared and uninformed about a couple topics and the fact that Abby's Fox & Friends robot-party line started coming out a bit stronger. Yes, she is not shrieking and it's still more pleasant than with Meghan.

1) Kavanaugh said that birth control is abortion inducing medication.  HE was NOT talking Plan B sunny!  And Abby , I know it's your job to say he won't change R vs w..but let's be realistic.

2) why did they not push Abby when she said the Trump is president so he gets to choose the justice.  Push and see if she admits or explains the hypocrisy of Obama being denied his.

3)the explanation. Of the Cory Booker clip was pathetic, and they allowed Abby to just brush it off by saying Cory is running for president. Last night Stephan Colbert was able to explain what the situation was so his audience could understand the clip.  Do we need to get the blue cards filled out in crayon?

• Love 22

I hope Sunny has some support-people with her this evening, when she finds out Studio 54 closed in the mid-80s. What was up with her look today? In an ill-advised attempt to make herself look younger, she's actually making herself look like a clown. Snap out of it, Sunny. You're a beautiful woman.

19 hours ago, merriebreeze said:

Whoopi's a bully and terrible at moderating. I really don't understand her appeal.

I don't think she is a bully. A lot of the critiques I read about her here, to me, seem wrong. I don't think she is hard on Sunny, for example. I think she likes and respects Sunny, and likes to give her the business (in a friendly, if wry, way). I don't think she has been hard on Abby, at least not that I've seen. I think generally, she tries to help the new person fully take part in the show, whoever that new person is. 

That said, I think she is a terrible moderator and never should have been moderator. I think they should have a Meredith Vieira-type for moderator. Always. Joy is better at it than Whoopi, but neither of them are as on-top-of-the-facts as a news person would/should be.

15 hours ago, AdeleDazeem said:

It took me a minute to realize you meant John Kelly or Kellyanne Conway. I kept thinking: Kelly is Conway. Then I wondered if maybe you regularly posted stuff like this as a shout-out to your username. I think I need more coffee.

50 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

Okay, NOW I can say I don't like her & she's not very smart!!!

I missed the first 15 minutes, Medicine Crow. What did Abby say/do?

• Love 7
47 minutes ago, General Days said:

but neither of them are as on-top-of-the-facts as a news person would/should be.

Is it too much to ask that they do their homework?  I'm amazed at how little they know about current events.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Okay, NOW I can say I don't like her & she's not very smart!!!

Yes my darling you may.  I am standing right behind you.  Sigh, it only took 5 days.

Are we still guessing?  My son just called from college, he's a senior, and said in ethics class they have been learning forensics using the op ed.  His guess because of past letters and interviews is:

Spoiler

AMB Huntsman - interesting.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 6

No Abby the Harris question was not broad and it was not nor should have been awkward in any way. His furrowed brow and squint eyes while he ponders what she possibly be getting at. 

Not liking her and she'll only get worse when MM reappears. 

Whoopi has been looking very nice with her hair and pretty jackets. 

• Love 16

I'm very distracted my the light white  across Wendy's nose. It's about where glasses bridge would leave from sunning. 

Then when Sunny was on the far right with profile I saw it on her also. I usually can figure out make up contouring but not this. 

Thats all the superficial stuff I have. 

• Love 3

Abby seemed misinformed when discussing Kavanaugh’s position on Roe v Wade. Whoopi and Sunny only brought up half the issue. It’s not just his previously stated opinions on abortions and abortion inducing medication. The other half of the issue is that he has previously stated the opinion that former Supreme Court decisions does not necessarily set precedent. With that belief, it creates an air of concern that this is a man that will have no qualms about walking back on the Roe v Wade decision because it suits his personal beliefs on abortion. Also, her regurgitated talking point about the President being able to pick the nominee made no sense to the conversation. Aside from the one point made by Sunny (after Abby made these comments at least a couple of times), the conversation wasn’t about the fairness of Trump being able to select the nominee. They spoke about Kavanaugh’s track record and why Trump chose him. The fact that a Trump nominated judge is sitting through this committee hearing and will almost surely be confirmed makes her contribution throughout the entire segment just a waste of air time because it was all a moot point.

I really enjoyed Joy’s mic drop moment about the potential plagiarism, haha.

• Love 15

*shrugs* I'm still okay with her. Does she know her facts, no, but the View isn't a place where people come to the table prepared. I still don't agree with her and her statement about Trump's Supreme Judge pick was a bunch of hot air, since she wasn't able to full articulate why she thinks Trump picked him, but she isn't a screaming tantrum throwing banshee.

I'm perfectly fine with someone sharing their view, however ill informed it may be, if they're pleasant on the show and seem not to take things too seriously. At this time, she seems like a mix of Jed and Paula and that's fine with me. I still think she needs at least a month to get fully comfortable at the table and then we need to see how she is when Meghan is around, but I did like that she keeps defending Colton's virginity at a table where everyone finds it weird and worrisome. She seems to have her talking points, but it comes off more authentic since she isn't reading it from a blue card.

• Love 4

I watched the view today, and listened to Whoopi talk about her friend Burt Reynolds, and his passing, and how he was a great guy, and a lot of fun. I also saw that The View channel posted a clip of it, on youtube, with the title The View honors Burt Reyonolds.

I'm conflicted over this, because Burt Reynolds, was accused of domestic violence, by at least two different women, Loni Anderson, and Pam Seals. In this era of the MeToo movement, I am always fascinated by how some celebrities are held to task for their behaviors, and others seem to get a pass for this, and it's just glossed over.  For the view to post a clip saying they honor him? That just doesn't really set right with me.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, General Days said:

I missed the first 15 minutes, Medicine Crow. What did Abby say/do?

Sorry, I'm drawing a blank!  I left the house before the show ended & just got home.  What is said on The View usually doesn't "stick with me".  I think her over-all ignorance of the topics discussed in the first segment were surprising.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, Onceafan said:

I'm conflicted over this, because Burt Reynolds, was accused of domestic violence, by at least two different women, Loni Anderson, and Pam Seals. In this era of the MeToo movement, I am always fascinated by how some celebrities are held to task for their behaviors, and others seem to get a pass for this, and it's just glossed over. 

Different era, I guess.  

1 hour ago, CheezyXpressed said:

*shrugs* I'm still okay with her. Does she know her facts, no, but the View isn't a place where people come to the table prepared. I still don't agree with her and her statement about Trump's Supreme Judge pick was a bunch of hot air, since she wasn't able to full articulate why she thinks Trump picked him, but she isn't a screaming tantrum throwing banshee.

I'm perfectly fine with someone sharing their view, however ill informed it may be, if they're pleasant on the show and seem not to take things too seriously. At this time, she seems like a mix of Jed and Paula and that's fine with me. I still think she needs at least a month to get fully comfortable at the table and then we need to see how she is when Meghan is around, but I did like that she keeps defending Colton's virginity at a table where everyone finds it weird and worrisome. She seems to have her talking points, but it comes off more authentic since she isn't reading it from a blue card.

I am OK with her, also.  I don't expect high intellect on this show, just an exchange of ideas, for entertainment purposes.  AND, I don't think she's an dumber than the rest of them.  Heard Whoopie, lately?  Even Joy disappoints some of the time.  (I watched her previous talk show & she was definitely hit & miss)  Sunny is fine for legal matters, but she seems to have been raised in a convent.  As for Meghan, well, I guess she has an Art History degree, which would make her an expert political commentator.

• Love 6
20 hours ago, AdeleDazeem said:

I have a feeling it might be KAC as well.  Ive always had the theory that shes disgruntled because she didnr get a higher/better position in the cabinet. She was very prolific during the campaign, one of only a few women, if anyothers at all lol.  So she was a right hand.  But now, i dont even know what agency she works at. I can see her wanting more.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

Sorry, I'm drawing a blank!  I left the house before the show ended & just got home.  What is said on The View usually doesn't "stick with me".  I think her over-all ignorance of the topics discussed in the first segment were surprising.

For me, it was her nonsense during the discussion over Kavanaugh. Whoopi basically gave up trying to respond at the end, because it's clear Abby has no listening comprehension. Like Meh-gun, she seems as if she comes to the table with whatever she's going to say pre-prepared, making the discussion stale and inorganic because she's unable to respond to anyone else's points or questions. Great choice for a talkshow again, ABC!

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Onceafan said:

I watched the view today, and listened to Whoopi talk about her friend Burt Reynolds, and his passing, and how he was a great guy, and a lot of fun. I also saw that The View channel posted a clip of it, on youtube, with the title The View honors Burt Reyonolds.

I'm conflicted over this, because Burt Reynolds, was accused of domestic violence, by at least two different women, Loni Anderson, and Pam Seals. In this era of the MeToo movement, I am always fascinated by how some celebrities are held to task for their behaviors, and others seem to get a pass for this, and it's just glossed over.  For the view to post a clip saying they honor him? That just doesn't really set right with me.

Whoopi has been very consistent in honoring her friends, despite what misdeeds they may have been accused of (i.e. Bill Cosby).   However, if being accused of domestic violence/sexual harassment, etc  years ago, disqualifies someone from being honored for a lifetime of achievement, then we'd honor very few people.   While he was accused he was not arrested or convicted (that I know of).  I don't think anyone's life should be entirely judged on any one thing they've done.  

Still reserving judgement on Abby.  She seems likable enough, but I would have preferred someone a bit more intellectual (for lack of a better word) about conservative positions.  We already have MM, don't need another conservative with the same views.   I appreciate the variety of the opinions from the 3 "liberals" on the panel  

Also enjoyed the show more with just 4 cohosts.  Or maybe just these 4 cohosts.  Seemed everyone got a chance to speak and no one dominated the conversation.  

Edited by After7Only
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

And yes yes yes, to Megs getting her own show.  Pleeeeeeze!!!!!   Somebody, somewhere, hire her.  I am begging you.

Sorry, Ladyrain...I understand your point, but that's just rewarding her for bad behavior.  It doesn't work with 5-year-olds, and probably wouldn't work for MM either.  She needs to fade away completely.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Onceafan said:

While I agree with you I also agree with @SrOfficial.  Spousal abuse was still a "family matter" to the courts in the 1970s.  The women's movement picked up the banner on the topic during the 1970s but it was a long road to get an arrest, court and conviction.  Marital rape wasn't made law in all 50 states until 1993.  You add in the fact that men were the powerful ones in Hollywood, and apparently still are.  When Whoopi said that Stormy Daniels was in a women's field she wasn't kidding.  Now most of porn is run by women for women in a business sense.

• Love 6

Abby doesn’t fit in so far. She speaks in a newscaster, formal voice. The other panelists are also not really here for her and why should they be?

This would have been the PERFECT time to bring in an independent. Why didn’t they?

• Love 7

Whoopi may not give Meghan and Abby much of a chance to talk, because she is sure taking over with her wise? explanations of everything.  I got an angry vibe from Abby today.  Not much smiling going on,  and it seems like she looks at Whoopi a lot when she is talking.  Is she looking for approval?

I wish they would tone down the lipstick on Abby and Sunny.

• Love 8

Abby seems to have gone to the same filibuster-training school as Meghan & Jed.  When she gets the floor she keeps talking, usually repeating herself when it is clear others are trying to participate in what is supposed to be a conversation, not a monologue. 

If MMM gets her own show, it wouldn't last long, so we'd be rid of her.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, deirdra said:

Abby seems to have gone to the same filibuster-training school as Meghan & Jed.  When she gets the floor she keeps talking, usually repeating herself when it is clear others are trying to participate in what is supposed to be a conversation, not a monologue. 

If MMM gets her own show, it wouldn't last long, so we'd be rid of her.

Joy is not feeling her.  Joy seems so off and disconnected. The last time that Joy was truly happy and glowing was when she reunited with Meredith, Star and Debbie, ironically, it was the  Friday  after the election of 2016.. Joy grinned from ear to ear, being with her girls she was truly happy that day. They even brought out the original table for the quartet..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 13
On 9/5/2018 at 10:04 AM, SunFun said:

Who knew I liked John Kerry THIS much? He was outstanding, and dying to talk. Made me realize how much I miss smart.

I was happy to see him...and either his (awful) cosmetic surgery has calmed down...or I have.   He needs to stop that little lizard-tongue habit.

• Love 7
On 9/5/2018 at 2:32 PM, bannana said:

Abby is just Nutmeg's twin, so far.  She has zero personality, and very little charisma.  She has the same talking points as NutMeg but isn't as angry or mean-spirited when she states them.  She even started being like NutMeg in relation to Joy, when she said something like, Joy, is Fear (of Trump) keeping you up at night.  Joy responded that she sleeps just fine but that yes, she fears Trump for what he may do.

Abby adds nothing to the panel.  How many wealthy, entitled daughters of wealthy politicians do we need?

Bolded above. This. ^^^^^.

God forbid Ivanka gets this gig in a few years. Retch. Gag. 

On 9/6/2018 at 10:37 PM, DebbieM4 said:

Absolutely.  Yes, she's (so far) not as annoying as Meghan, but OMG she is ill-informed and not very bright.  She has no understanding of even the most basic facts, and it doesn't seem to bother her.  She's a "sit there and look pretty" girl, armed with talking points that she seems proud of even when it's pointed out that her facts are incorrect.  Not everyone needs to be an intellectual, but I just can't see her having any meaningful kind of conversation or contributing anything of value.  Surely there are other women far more suited for this job.  I didn't know if I would like her or not, but I certainly never expected her to be so shallow.

(I actually know a very successful (and fairly well-known) pageant queen, and she's very smart, well-informed, and well-read.  I know you meant no disrespect to pageant queens who do have brains and know how to use them, but I totally get your point.)  :-)

To repeat: Surely there are other women far more suited for this job.

• Love 13
On 9/6/2018 at 12:43 PM, Stacey1014 said:

I’m hoping Meghan will be gone at least another week before she returns. 

I’m meh on Abby. I don’t dislike her (yet), but I don’t love her. I really wish they would have hired Jenna Bush Hager from NBC. She’s similar to Sarah with the bubbly personality and I think she’d be able to have a decent conversation during Hot Topics. 

No, and just no. Another daughter of privilege. 

Come on, is this the only pool of 'talent' (cough) the View has to choose from to host?

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 15