Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

FJ was a no brainer. I lived in Regina for several years (13)... and my niece was so glad when I moved to Toronto - she was never comfortable saying I lived in "that place".

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, Halting Hex said:

And that "tiny crossword clues" category was right up my etui, except that, like Joseph, I never can tell my apse from my nave.  So I'd have made an apse out of myself, too.

I honestly only knew all of those things from crossword puzzles - apse, alee, etui. I always say that as long as there are crossword puzzles, no one will ever forget Brian Eno or Yoko Ono.

The “If They Married...” category was fun. 

I liked all the contestants today!

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 6/6/2019 at 7:03 PM, Katy M said:

I was waffling between Bob Dylan and Woody Gurthrie, and unfortunately I landed on Dylan.

My husband said Bob Dylan. I said Woody Guthrie. It was a satisfying win.

I watched a day behind, so of course I was spoiled on Emma’s loss. Since I was also spoiled on James’s loss, it seemed fitting. Bye Emma, you feisty little weirdo! I liked you and wish you could have lasted longer.

It looks like we’re back to “normal” Jeopardy, with traditional clue picking and wagering strategies. Nothing wrong with that, but it’s seeming a little humdrum after the Jamesathon.  I wonder if things will be different in the fall, since contestants then will be well acquainted with his techniques. Will we see a slew of mini-Jameses? (minJims?)

• Love 7
9 hours ago, SHD said:

I honestly only knew all of those things from crossword puzzles - apse, alee, etui. I always say that as long as there are crossword puzzles, no one will ever forget Brian Eno or Yoko Ono.

The “If They Married...” category was fun. 

I liked all the contestants today!

Or Uma Thurman, Ayn Rand, and Yma Sumac! Mr. Booney and I are crossword fanatics so we ran that category. I swear that "obi" is in every crossword puzzle in the world every day. 🙂 

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, Jesse said:

I'm kind of shocked no one got etui! But maybe you have to be a crossword person Of A Certain Age??

I got etui and Sten, thanks to my mother instilling a love for crosswords at an early age.  For FJ! I started with Calgary but ended up at Regina as the music ran out.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, SHD said:

Don't forget "Omoo". And, for me "Esau"---I swear, if I'm ever asked "Who is Esau's twin?" I will have no answer, since Esau is the only one they ever mention in crosswords.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, illdoc said:

nd, for me "Esau"---I swear, if I'm ever asked "Who is Esau's twin?" I will have no answer, since Esau is the only one they ever mention in crosswords.

But, wouldn't the clue be Jacob's twin, so you would know?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I got etui and Sten

I also got those two, as well as pressing.  I wonder if they would have accepted Bren in place of Sten. 

I certainly know all the Canadian cities but I was afraid they might come up with some obscure fact that I wouldn't know - but they didn't. 

During the commercial break after FJ category was announced I was thinking a good question would be "These two cities are both named after an English queen" and the answer would be Victoria and Regina.  So I was surprised when that is more or less what they did ask.

Go Raptors!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, illdoc said:

Mostly, it's "Biblical twin", 4 letters.

Heh, I'd completely forgotten that they were twins.  I'd assumed that the whole business of Jacob screwing Esau out of his birthright over the porridge (and the part where he was clearly Rebecca's favorite) meant that Jacob was the younger of the two, the "baby" in the family.

(Why, yes, I am an oldest sibling.  What made you say that?)

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Halting Hex said:

Heh, I'd completely forgotten that they were twins.  I'd assumed that the whole business of Jacob screwing Esau out of his birthright over the porridge (and the part where he was clearly Rebecca's favorite) meant that Jacob was the younger of the two, the "baby" in the family.

(Why, yes, I am an oldest sibling.  What made you say that?)

You're not off, exactly. He was the younger twin, and his mother's favorite. So in essence the baby of the family.

Edited to add: Are all of you aware of this website? Trivia Trainer

Jeopardy clues get fired at you right and left. Answer in your head or out loud, then when you click on the answer, tell the truth whether you got it right. The site will keep your score in the various categories so you know where your strengths and weaknesses are.

I am addicted.

Edited by Abstract
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
On 6/7/2019 at 5:01 PM, Katy M said:

I said Regina and then changed my answer to Edmonton.

Why Edmonton?

On 6/7/2019 at 5:14 PM, Jesse said:

I'm kind of shocked no one got etui! But maybe you have to be a crossword person Of A Certain Age??

I've only heard etui in my crossword puzzle. Alee and apse appear regularly, too.

15 hours ago, Booney said:

Or Uma Thurman, Ayn Rand, and Yma Sumac! Mr. Booney and I are crossword fanatics so we ran that category. I swear that "obi" is in every crossword puzzle in the world every day. 🙂 

And obi! I'm always irritated when I play Word Cookie on my phone and these words are not correct answers. 

As for the game, I got Pauley-Graff (though I 'said' polygraph), etui, and Santa Fe Trail. I couldn't remember Robert Langdon's name but knew who the clue was referencing. I got the Sharpe of Becky but couldn't remember Alexander's last name.

In elementary school we played that "If so-and-so married so-and-so" game -- probably because of Laugh-In, which was airing at the time -- and I always remember our class had a Janice Kerr and a Billy Plunk. 

I find it hard to believe that there's a UFO in an old madonna painting.

I didn't get FJ. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Why Edmonton?

I think I said in my original comment that I thought it was the capital of British Columbia, so I was just wrong all around.

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was wondering how you and the contestant (Steven?) got Edmonton from the Victoria and Albert parts of the clue, if there's any connection that I'm missing.

I don't know what Steven was thinking, but I've already explained my poor geography skills and since I thought British Columbia and Victoria and Albert were British, that was pretty much the extent of my thinking.

So I spent most of last week at a library conference (which is why I haven't been commenting since Tuesday), and I thought you all might like to know that Emma was mentioned during the keynote speech, as "our own Emma Boettcher."

Jeopardy is everywhere!

• Love 14
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I was wondering how you and the contestant (Steven?) got Edmonton from the Victoria and Albert parts of the clue, if there's any connection that I'm missing.

I didn't guess Edmonton, but it didn't really surprise me as it is the capital of Alberta and 'Albert' was mentioned in the clue, and also it's a western capital.

While I am aware that "western Canada" goes all the way to Manitoba, I really don't think of Saskatchewan or Manitoba as western provinces - they are the prairies 😉 So I went with Victoria though I was pretty sure that was wrong - it would be odd to have a Victoria St in Victoria.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, secnarf said:

I didn't guess Edmonton, but it didn't really surprise me as it is the capital of Alberta and 'Albert' was mentioned in the clue, and also it's a western capital.

While I am aware that "western Canada" goes all the way to Manitoba, I really don't think of Saskatchewan or Manitoba as western provinces - they are the prairies 😉 So I went with Victoria though I was pretty sure that was wrong - it would be odd to have a Victoria St in Victoria.

We are odd 😉

I doubt Canada is the only country which often has duplicate names... but we have a lot! The one which bothers me most is Quebec (the city), Quebec (the province). 

By the way, there is a Victoria Ave in Victoria, BC.

There are also streets or areas in Edmonton named Victoria and Albert(a) so that wasn't such a terrible answer. JMO. I simply knew Regina from living there.

• Love 1

My brother & SIL are taking an Alaskan Cruise. While they "overnight" in Vancouver, Carmen wants to see Butchart Gardens. The most convenient way is to take a tour bus, which will also take them around Victoria. Carmen says, "I don't wanna see that." I told her, "You never know - you might learn something that in a month will pop up on Jeopardy! and you'll know the correct response!"  She sighed.

I have found that my Road Trips have provided me with a LOT of the correct responses, just because "Hey! I've been there!"

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My brother & SIL are taking an Alaskan Cruise. While they "overnight" in Vancouver, Carmen wants to see Butchart Gardens. The most convenient way is to take a tour bus, which will also take them around Victoria. Carmen says, "I don't wanna see that." I told her, "You never know - you might learn something that in a month will pop up on Jeopardy! and you'll know the correct response!"  She sighed.

We did the bus tour that goes to the Gardens.  It was all very nice.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, Katy M said:

... since I thought British Columbia and Victoria and Albert were British...

Ah! British, Victoria, Albert... I get it.

14 hours ago, secnarf said:

Ohhh. Albert and Alberta. Got it.

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  Jeopardy loves that play! 

I also got Mike Myers (who is the reason I behave the way I do when I hear "Bohemian Rhapsody" on my car radio!), gold mine (on a complete guess), and eyelid. 

Not a fan of the man-bun (on anyone), but otherwise the new champ is okay.  I liked all three tonight, in fact.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I got blocked on FJ.  Dream focused me on Man of La Mancha.  Then, I was like, "it doesn't say musical."  So, what did I change it to?  Damn Yankees.  I don't know what my deal was.  I couldn't think of a single play that wasn't a musical.  I even liked Death of a Salesman.  Oh well.

I said Dana Carvey instead of Mike Meyers.

And the first "C" clue, I thought it was supposed to start with C, not end with C, so I said chopper.  I don't think I would have gotten Medivac anyway.

• Love 2

I got FJ but only because it was made into a movie (twice, I think).   The clue with the word "grave" was a good hint. 

Today's intro may have been a record for Alex, in word count.  Something like "Let's see what categories our contestants will be playing today in the first round of Jeopardy, shall we?" 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I enjoyed the competition tonight. All were betting big and to win. I got all three DDs and FJ. I also got all the TSers. It was a good game night for me. I got a big tickle when I saw Drambuie. If you take a half shot of it and float a half shot of Bailey’s on top of it you get a delicious, but wicked shot. Had a number of them when I lived in Scotland. Both were answers. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I couldn’t even come up with a guess for FJ. I kept thinking A Christmas Carol, but Scrooge didn’t even die at the end! I didn’t even know the play that the woman guessed. I preemptively guessed Cats when I saw the category.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

.....Man of La Mancha.

That was my first thought, but I did manage to come up with the right answer. I always like getting one right early in the week.

Not a fan of the new champ.

I really need this game to go back to being played in an orderly fashion. Board hopping is not good for my OCD.

• Love 5
(edited)

She guessed Moon for the Misbegotten which I have never seen but I know it is by Eugene O'Neill and does involve the end of the life of the character based on his brother (Jamie Tyrone from Long Day's Journey into Night) so it wasn't a bad guess. 

I have seen Salesman enough to picture the graveside scene. I enjoy it but it's not my favorite Miller play - I prefer All My Sons or The Crucible.

It was a good game all around.

Edited by Grundoon59
Somehow a 9 inserted itself in my post.
  • Love 5
(edited)
14 hours ago, Bliss said:

The one which bothers me most is Quebec (the city), Quebec (the province). 

I've never heard Quebec City referred to as just "Quebec" (I'm from Montreal - maybe it's an out of province thing?) Always thought of it as similar to NYC and New York state.

Decent games this last week, but I still miss James (and I know he annoyed people, but I was surprised to see him included on the PrimeTimer Awards for Worst Reality TV Personalities, alongside some genuine assholes).  

Edited by film noire
  • Love 5

I have never seen or read Death of a Salesman, but I got FJ immediately as a Pavlovian guess. 

That was a really good game. We've seen several instances of all 3 players scoring really high in the last week. 

Martin seemed to be really fast on the buzzer. He's probably got another win or two in him at least.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, film noire said:

I've never heard Quebec City referred to as just "Quebec" (I'm from Montreal - maybe it's an out of province thing?) Always thought of it as similar to NYC and New York state.

Perhaps it's a QC thing... my daughter and her family live there, and I've been advised to address snail mail as "... Quebec, Quebec"

Never fails to seem strange when I'm writing the envelope.

Yes, I agree. Very similar to New York, New York!

• Love 3

Pretty good game for me. I answered 51 questions correctly; the accent and 3-word city categories were my undoing. TS I got were Mike Meyers & Gold Mine. ABC broke into J with news of the helicopter crash in NYC just as Mary's FJ answer was about to be revealed. Thanks to J Archives I learned that Mary & I answered incorrectly, and that Martin is the new champ. I was ok with any of the 3 winning, but I missed players starting with the higher dollar clues. I had really gotten used to that. 

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got Mike Myers (who is the reason I behave the way I do when I hear "Bohemian Rhapsody" on my car radio!)

Same.

4 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

Today's intro may have been a record for Alex, in word count.  Something like "Let's see what categories our contestants will be playing today in the first round of Jeopardy, shall we?" 

Maybe it's true that James did blow Jeopardy's budget, and now Alex is being paid by the word 😆

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

I'm watching the 2011 Tournament of Champions finals on Netflix, and Roger Craig just answered that same clue about the Chrysler building that we were discussing on Wednesday.

(Nothing against him, because he seems like a nice guy, but wow it is nerve wracking to watch him because of how long he takes to answer. You think he isn't going to spit it out in time - and sometimes he doesn't. His ratio of wrong answers to right must be higher than most champs.) 

• Love 1

Mike Myers was a surprising TS; I didn't know which of the two it was (him or Dana Carvey), but for no one to guess either one, especially at that point the game, was unexpected.  (I was so happy "Ni" - the knights who say "ni" - was an easy one in the same category.)  The missed DD of third eyelid was a bit surprising, but not on that level.

"Fool's Gold" and "gold mine" I figured were going to be TS, though (the latter was a pure guess for me based on the category and lyric snippets; I'm not familiar with the song itself).

• Love 4

I have seen Salesman enough to picture the graveside scene. I enjoy it but it's not my favorite Miller play - I prefer All My Sons or The Crucible.

I'm not as crazy about Death as Jeopardy! is :-)

All My Sons is okay (it's presently a revival on B'way, according to the Tony Awards), but The Crucible is pure brilliance.

One of my mystery novels goes back and forth between the present and the Salem witch trials, so I did lots of research and Miller was spot-on.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

That was a good, competitive game; I enjoyed it.

I was rooting for Mary but it was not to be.

Only one ts for me and that was gold mine.

11 hours ago, Abstract said:

I have never seen or read Death of a Salesman, but I got FJ immediately as a Pavlovian guess. 

Ditto, except for the 'immediately' part. But I did still get it in plenty of time.

GO RAPTORS!

• Love 4

All My Sons was my late father's favorite Miller play.  My dad was D Day plus 10 so.he has been on my mind a lot lately.  He was always moved by the line "They were all my sons", probably in light of the men in his unit who didn't make it through.  Both of us loved The Crucible.  

• Love 3
On 6/6/2019 at 6:04 PM, Toothbrush said:

Guthrie only would have elicited a BMS in the other 2 rounds, but I have no idea how it would be handled in FJ. I guess if the answer could possibly cover more than one person (Woody, Arlo, Kit), it makes sense to jot down a first name, or at least a first initial. I wonder if this is something that is told to players, or if the show figures the contestants should be able figure it out on their own. Were any of you players out there advised of this? 

I'm far behind (since I've missed every other game on tv because I live in Warriors-land), so apologies for dredging up something from pages ago. 

Anyway, the contestant coordinators will tell you things like "the clue is going to be looking for a person" so you know to write Who is, and they will also tell you things like "be as specific in your answer as possible" situationally. I don't think they will say that you need to put a first and last name because it could give it away, but they will tell you to be complete. I feel like this came up in one of the games before mine but I no longer remember exactly how they worded it.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
10 minutes ago, Etta Place said:

I'm far behind (since I've missed every other game on tv because I live in Warriors-land), so apologies for dredging up something from pages ago. 

Anyway, the contestant coordinators will tell you things like "the clue is going to be looking for a person" so you know to write Who is, and they will also tell you things like "be as specific in your answer as possible" situationally. I don't think they will say that you need to put a first and last name because it could give it away, but they will tell you to be complete. I feel like this came up in one of the games before mine but I no longer remember exactly how they worded it.

Since you've been on the show can I ask a question?  On another board, I was told that there are people on the show that will help you figure out what you should wager in FJ?  I said I didn't think so because that's part of the game, but they were pretty adamant (without having been on the show), and I'm just really curious if it's true.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Since you've been on the show can I ask a question?  On another board, I was told that there are people on the show that will help you figure out what you should wager in FJ?  I said I didn't think so because that's part of the game, but they were pretty adamant (without having been on the show), and I'm just really curious if it's true.

That was not my experience. After we were told to write down "Who" or "What" on the screen on the podium, we were given pencil and paper to calculate our wager.  No assistance - you have to do the arithmetic all by yourself.  Then after you write your wager on the screen, someone checks it to be sure that it is readable.  I had to rewrite my wager a couple of times, because I apparently write the number 4 in an odd way!

• Love 6
19 hours ago, SHD said:

I didn’t even know the play that the woman guessed.

Whenever I hear of Moon for the Misbegotten I always picture a poster for the play with Jason Robards and Colleen Dewhurst. I have no idea why. I haven't seen the play. I did used to have a big crush on Robards, so maybe that was why.

The only TS I got was Mike Myers. When I saw Bohemian Rhapsody I was pleased and surprised to see him in it, but he was almost unrecognizable.

FJ was an instaget. 

I'm sorry to see Brendan go. He always looked pleasant and easygoing.

• Love 5

I was clueless on FJ.  For some reason I thought it was going to be a natural landmark.  Based on the name I was thinking somewhere in the India area, but I couldn't think of anything so I said the Blarney Stone.  If nothing else, I amuse myself.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4