Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

22 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

When did that happen?

At the very end after Alex greeted him, he turned to the lady and she glanced down at his hand, cursorily grasped his handshake and immediately looked back away.

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Because one of her two ring-ins was with a wrong answer to a clue I'd expect most contestants to get right, so I'm wondering if she was just out-buzzed or plain out-matched.

Seriously she answered Britain to the question about Germany invading this county using the blitzkrieg! 

FJ was an IG. My aunt and uncle used to have a farm near the bear river. 

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, mojoween said:

At the very end after Alex greeted him, he turned to the lady and she glanced down at his hand, cursorily grasped his handshake and immediately looked back away.

I saw it differently. James extended his hand to shake with the woman in the middle and she didn't see him do it. Then she did, and shook his hand, and that was that. IMO, the ending of the show has to be an avalanche of too much happening at once, Trebek coming to talk, players congratulating each other, PAs off camera motioning for people to do things to get ready for the next taping. She wasn't rude at all that I saw, just a bit overwhelmed at being in the whirlwind that is Jeopardy. It's not that usual for players to shake hands. If we did a drinking game for that, we'd be parched by the end of the week.

I remember one show, a player walked off set at the end, then came back. We aren't all Master Thespians.

I got the TS of "snake," but it was strictly a guess. Who knows if I would have buzzed in if I had been one of the players. It's a toss up ... take a chance on being correct or looking like a dumb ass if it's wrong.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, LoreliLee said:

Okay, I’ve seen James on tv before. A cooking show or something. Maybe Masterchef?  This is really bugging me. I know that face!

He was on Season 1 of 500 Questions.  I recognized him immediately as well, but it took me a while to figure out from where.

• Love 3

Five minutes in and I hate James.

One-half hour later and I'm loving James.

LOL! I told Mr. Author the Forum would be split 50-50.

I'll break the tie. I'm loving him.

(Does anyone else think he needs a good denturist?)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Mystery Author said:

LOL! I told Mr. Author the Forum would be split 50-50.

Like so many contestants that have extreme reactions I am completely neutral!

• Love 4
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got the TS of "snake," but it was strictly a guess. Who knows if I would have buzzed in if I had been one of the players. It's a toss up ... take a chance on being correct or looking like a dumb ass if it's wrong.

I did too, but wondered if they wanted a specific type of snake since "reptile" was already in the clue. I know snakes aren't the only reptile, but my guess is that everyone overthought the question.

3 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Put me in the "loving him" camp too. I didn't notice his teeth. I thought he was gorgeous (*shallow*). I'm curious what others found dislike-able. Yes, he goes from the bottom to the top of categories, but I've accepted that most contestants nowadays will do that, or board hop.

I also felt bad for Anna. Her mind probably went to the London blitz and caused her to be wrong on only one of her two buzz ins. Has there ever been a contestant who was silent throughout the game?

• Love 2
7 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I also said the Dead Sea. Was the category U.S. bodies of water? Then I forgot that, too.

I was surprised when Anna said Germany attacked Britain in 1939. 

Yes, it was US bodies of water.  The salt part of the clue was obvious, so had I remembered that, I would have gotten it.  Like, I said, oh well. No use crying over spilt milk.

I immediately changed my answer when 1939 really hit my brain, but I think Anna, like me, just associated the word blitzkrieg with German attacks England (or Britain as the case may be).  Plus, she was probably getting beyond frustrated at that point.  

38 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Put me in the "loving him" camp too. I didn't notice his teeth. I thought he was gorgeous (*shallow*). I'm curious what others found dislike-able. Yes, he goes from the bottom to the top of categories, but I've accepted that most contestants nowadays will do that, or board hop.

I'll warn everybody that I'm going to end up getting annoyed with him. I don't like it when anyone wins more than, say, 15 times.  He'll probably be around for months.

33 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

No hesitation in betting big on DD 

That's what annoyed me - that "all the chips" remark and the gesture as though he's still playing poker. And inviting Alex to bet on something.

If Mystery Author is right, and he does have awful teeth, that may explain the seemingly smug expression. I suppose I'll have to give him another chance. At least he's not Buzzy or Matt Jackson or Austin.  (And the more I see that name "Buzzy," the more I'm liking it. Did he ever explain its source? I don't remember.)

• Love 2
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It's not that usual for players to shake hands. If we did a drinking game for that, we'd be parched by the end of the week.

I remember one show, a player walked off set at the end, then came back. We aren't all Master Thespians.

They tell you not to do that as soon as the game ends, because everyone is usually on a slightly different raised platform and it's easy to forget that, step forward to shake, and fall off. But with the confusion, people sometimes forget and shake right afterward anyway. Which creates additional confusion because then it's usually happening right as Alex is approaching.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That's what annoyed me - that "all the chips" remark and the gesture as though he's still playing poker. And inviting Alex to bet on something.

Now that you mention it, those comments made me roll my eyes. I bet -- haha, bet -- that he had planned on these remarks, thinking they'd be clever. But that's not enuf for me to dislike him... yet. 

If Mystery Author is right, and he does have awful teeth, that may explain the seemingly smug expression. 

Boy, all these things I missed. Tonight I'll have to be on the lookout for smug expressions and bad teeth. Oh, and gambling puns!

21 minutes ago, Etta Place said:

They tell you not to do that as soon as the game ends, because everyone is usually on a slightly different raised platform and it's easy to forget that, step forward to shake, and fall off. But with the confusion, people sometimes forget and shake right afterward anyway. Which creates additional confusion because then it's usually happening right as Alex is approaching.

And now I'm hoping for the contestants to all shake hands and fall off their platforms. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got the TS of Karmann Ghia. One of my best friends in college drove one. I've always liked Volkswagens.

Once dated a douche who drove a Karmann Ghia, so I got that right. On the other hand, the Mister (30+ years of marriage) drove a Bug. So I've got nothing against Volkswagen. Though I hated the bug. It wasn't built for short women to drive, at least not this one.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

Snake was a surprising TS; I’d never heard of a stiletto snake, but reptile and fangs in the clue pointed to it clearly enough I can’t believe no one guessed it.

I don't have any particular snake phobias - but now I do. That just creeps me out to no end.

9 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

He was on Season 1 of 500 Questions.  I recognized him immediately as well, but it took me a while to figure out from where.

OH, I thought he looked familiar - but I thought it was more a stock photo in a frame way.

25 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

OH, I thought he looked familiar - but I thought it was more a stock photo in a frame way.

Whenever I see someone who looks like that, I think of my SIL, who used to work for plastic surgeons. She would waste NO time sending him for an eyelid lift. I'm not bothered by it, but she sees it as a near crime.

Teeth look OK to me here.

image.png.5a9b4876d47f013483e596432dbd25b4.png

What annoyed me most was starting with the $1,000 clues in the first round, and continuing the practice of choosing the larger $$$ clues even after the DD was found.  That may be good strategy - get the bigger $$$ while you can, but it annoys me to no end.

• Love 10
(edited)

Man, you guys must be irritated by every detail of life if James is bugging you. I let all but the most flagrant douchery roll off my back. I don't care what clue someone picks, I'm not glued to the tv screen so don't even notice. I either know the answer or I don't.

I also don't have to have all the cans in my cupboard facing the right way.

James "betting it all" was an Alex Jacob move, another professional gambler. But I did leave this thread for a long, long time when Alex was in the ToC because I couldn't tolerate all the shade everyone (well, almost everyone) was throwing at him.

As long as he doesn't start doing charades and miming, I'm fine with him. I hope he lives long and prospers on this show.

Speaking of being gone, it's nice to see you again @Mondrianyone.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

James is definitely in the category of champions who I can admire the skills of but who I can't quite root for. 

I kind of feel this way.  He played an amazing game, and I don't really care one way or the other about him, but I wouldn't be upset if he lost tonight.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And one of those ring ins was so she could tell us the Blitzkrieg was when Germany invaded Britain.

That was pretty bad, and she sounded so confident about it, too.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

On a random note prompted by the ballpark cuisine category, Nutella eggrolls sound awful.

Not to me.  Deep-fried shell filled with chocolate hazelnut spread?  Send them my way.

7 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I did too, but wondered if they wanted a specific type of snake since "reptile" was already in the clue. I know snakes aren't the only reptile, but my guess is that everyone overthought the question.

I said lizard.  Oops.

6 hours ago, Katy M said:

I immediately changed my answer when 1939 really hit my brain, but I think Anna, like me, just associated the word blitzkrieg with German attacks England (or Britain as the case may be). 

I can see the "blitz" part maybe leading to England as an answer, but the blitzkrieg referred to the speed with which Germany swept through Poland and then the Low Countries and France.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I don't care what clue someone picks

I do because often the writers have a theme, and picking the clues out of order messes with that, and can even make people get the wrong answers.

But I'm not particularly bothered by James.  Yet.  Give him time.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I got the TS of Karmann Ghia

I got it too, loved them since I lived in Germany. But I knew as soon as I saw the picture that it would be a TS

I wonder if Anna set the record for fewest ring-ins. I felt bad for her, but I definitely WTFed at the Nazis invading Britain

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, bad things are bad said:

I got it too, loved them since I lived in Germany. But I knew as soon as I saw the picture that it would be a TS

The Karmann was Before Their Time!

• Love 1
(edited)

My SIL posted a meme on FB separating the contents of a jar of Nutella. I was surprised that there are more hazelnuts than cocoa, but not surprised at all at almost half being sugar. I don't think I want to ever eat Nutella again, in egg rolls or on vanilla wafers or straight off the spoon...

(I tried to upload the jpg, but it kept failing.) 

https://www.thekitchn.com/this-viral-image-shows-what-s-really-in-your-nutella-242098?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=managed

Edited by Prevailing Wind
2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My SIL posted a meme on FB separating the contents of a jar of Nutella. I was surprised that there are more hazelnuts than cocoa, but not surprised at all at almost half being sugar. I don't think I want to ever eat Nutella again, in egg rolls or on vanilla wafers or straight off the spoon...

(I tried to upload the jpg, but it kept failing.)  Oh, look - the ticket to hell worked.

Hell ticket.jpg

But that's what makes it so good! lol

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I don't think I want to ever eat Nutella again

I must be the only person in the universe, or at least on this thread, who has never tasted Nutella. And I have no desire to do so. Hazelnut is my absolute last choice for coffee creamer, to be used only as a last resort. Maybe that's why my non-interest in Nutella.

I do like cocoa AND sugar though! I'll put those in my coffee ...

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I must be the only person in the universe, or at least on this thread, who has never tasted Nutella. And I have no desire to do so. Hazelnut is my absolute last choice for coffee creamer, to be used only as a last resort. Maybe that's why my non-interest in Nutella.

Grew up in Germany. Mother's milk. Now a days, though, I love the taste but not the feel of it. It clings to the back of my throat in a disturbing way.

• Love 1

Because I like a challenge:

nutella.jpeg.25156d00cb0cbcbfa36284a22e4add85.jpeg

I'm now out for good on ever trying Nutella. Ferrero is on the Greenpeace list of dirty palm oil users. I won't touch any product or support any manufacturer that destroys the environment to create $ profit. *soapboxrant*

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Because I like a challenge:

nutella.jpeg.25156d00cb0cbcbfa36284a22e4add85.jpeg

I'm now out for good on ever trying Nutella. Ferrero is on the Greenpeace list of dirty palm oil users. I won't touch any product or support any manufacturer that destroys the environment to create $ profit. *soapboxrant*

I'll have to share this with my daughters. Thanks. (I guess it's the palm oil that clings to my throat - it's the only ingredient I don't eat in some other form)

49 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever had Nutella either, and hazelnut is also my least favorite coffee creamer.  I’d rather have unflavored coffee than hazelnut!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I've never tasted Nutella because hazelnuts are evil.  And you can keep the coffee, too -- just give me the cocoa and sugar! 

• Love 1
22 hours ago, rubaco said:

I felt so bad for Anna. Imagine getting all the way to making an appearance on the show, and only being able to ring in twice. 

After she answered "Britain" (blitzkrieg invasion September 1, 1939), I was just embarrassed for her.  I suppose it's an easy if you know it clue, but dang, isn't that pretty basic for WWII? 

I like James as a contestant and for once, I don't mind starting with the highest value clues because he gets them right.  He plays like a man on a mission, and his confidence is entertaining. 

I hope he keeps winning.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Bastet said:

Snake was a surprising TS; I’d never heard of a stiletto snake, but reptile and fangs in the clue pointed to it clearly enough I can’t believe no one guessed it.

18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew it was a snake, and I could picture he face with the fangs sticking out but I could not get the species of snake to come to mind.  When Alex said "snake" I felt almost cheated, that I could have gotten it with such a basic answer.  But that's one of the things that can happen when you start at the bottom--you don't always have a feel for how complex or specific the category answers are going to be either, and it's expensive to guess wrongly about that.

33 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I found other pics with its mouth closed and the fangs stick out side, so, yeah, it is possible to be bitten without an open mouth. 

Well, now I have a complaint with the clue writers. (I know: Surprise.) So someone can be STUCK by one of the outside fangs, but not bitten. Being pricked or pierced or stuck by something is not a bite.

Today I fell on a board and impaled my hand on a nail. The nail didn't jump up and bite me. Same as if I got my hand stuck on that snake's tooth. It's not a bite. (The nail story is true.)

Unless some reptile expert out there can clarify, I'm calling crummy clue writing. *drink* Something cannot BITE when its mouth is closed.

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Today I fell on a board and impaled my hand on a nail. The nail didn't jump up and bite me. Same as if I got my hand stuck on that snake's tooth. It's not a bite. (The nail story is true.)

I know you know this, but make sure your tetanus shot is up-to-date!

James has infected everyone with the "start at the bottom" virus.  Ugh.  Nevertheless, I had high hopes for the middle guy.  Too bad he floundered after a strong start, and then with James hitting the DD, and nothing for FJ, it was a lost cause.  I can't hate on him too much, though, since I didn't get FJ either!

I think videos for those ACM clues were unnecessary.  I don't particularly care for country music, but I got all of those before they showed the video.  Were there any TS?  I didn't write any down.

• Love 4

I misunderstood FJ. I thought I was trying to get the name of a country not another state capital.  But, I still doubt I would have gotten it, because when I said Berlin in my head going to the capitals, I was like Berl, that's nothing.  If you want me to remove letters, it has to be at the beginning or the end, because I am just not that smart.  

• Love 2

And after playing J6, I remembered I was confused by the Money-Punny category.  I got most, maybe all I don't remember, of them right, but I was expecting puns.  

• Love 3

Depite his slight air of douchiness, I always like a gutsy bettor, which he is. And I agree, I don't mind him taking the high scoring clues off the board first - it's a good strategy if you're smart and can get them without getting a feel for the category first. I prefer that to board hopping, looking for DDs.

I did get Berlin, but it was strictly a guess, as I couldn't think of the other capital to match it. The only other 6 letter capital I could think of was London, which was obviously wrong, so I went for Berlin.

• Love 1

I was rooting for Satish since he got the William and Mary clue (so many fond memories of concerts and plays in PBK Hall) but James played a gutsy game.

I got FJ at the last second by going around the map of Europe and removing letters. Luckily I got to Germany pretty quickly. 

Saber5055- ouch.  Take care of yourself and your hand!

• Love 3

Three good players tonight!  I'm still pulling for James even though some of you don't like him.  I think he's a good player and not at all annoying.  I thought Final Jeopardy was easy after I read the answer on The Jeopardy Fan board.  Before that though, I didn't have a clue. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I think videos for those ACM clues were unnecessary. 

You (generic you) definitely shouldn't have needed a video for Coal Miner's daughter.  I got Reba without the video, also, I think most people who would recognize her also know that she's hosted a bunch.  I guessed Tim McGraw, but I was glad of the video confirmation.

1 minute ago, shlbycindyk said:

Three good players tonight!  I'm still pulling for James even though some of you don't like him.  I think he's a good player and not at all annoying.  I thought Final Jeopardy was easy after I read the answer on The Jeopardy Fan board.  Before that though, I didn't have a clue. 

I thought it was easy, too after the explanation, but like I said, I always try to take the letters from the front or back. It's a real failing in my game.

(edited)
34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I know you know this, but make sure your tetanus shot is up-to-date!

I thought of that, can't remember my last one, but I had to argue to get it. Doctors are so not wanting to give tetanus for some reason. I had a dog contract tetanus after he got kicked by a horse. So thanks for the reinforcement.

26 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And after playing J6, I remembered I was confused by the Money-Punny category.

This irked me since Trebek pronounced the French painter Monet as Money. Then a Monet print was shown. WTH.

34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I think videos for those ACM clues were unnecessary.

No kidding, especially the Reba $200 clue. They should have also added "Her four-letter name begins with a R-E-B-A." And Coal Miner's Daughter ... like no one saw that movie either. I guess Jeopardy players aren't suppose to know country music. That's a sick burn, show.

I think the key to FJ was to think of a four-letter European capitol. Okay, so there are six of them, but only Rome and Bern are well known, and FJ typically does not go obscure. Starting with four letters and going to six is easier than finding a six-letter city and going to four letters. Bern = Berlin. Of course, it took me more than the allotted time to figure out the backward thing. So: fail.

Trebek irked me again at the beginning by saying he wished yesterday's game hadn't been a runaway so James would have bet more for a bigger payday. Alex, if the totals had been closer, James would have had LESS money to bet and so his final total would have been LESS than what he did win. It's not like all of a sudden thousands more dollars showed up on the board, there's only a set amount, period. Duh, sometimes he's such a maroon. --TM Bugs Bunny

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 2
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

This irked me since Trebek pronounced the French painter Monet as Money. Then a Monet print was shown. WTH.

I guess maybe that was the pun, Moneypenny, James Bond.  But, that was just stupid since the clues weren't puns.  Not the biggest deal in the world, I guess.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

James would have had LESS money to bet and so his final total would have been LESS than what he did win. It's not like all of a sudden thousands more dollars showed up on the board, there's only a set amount, period. Duh, sometimes he's such a maroon. --TM Bugs Bunny

If Alex had had $2,000 more and James had had $1,000 less it wouldn't have been a runaway.  But, he still likely wouldn't have bet a huge amount.

Well I completely missed the part about the capital being 6 letters. Not sure how that happened! But the only similar capitals I could come up with were Budapest/Bucharest which didn't really fit the rest of the clue - the middles are different, not that one has the middle removed. Not my day, I guess.

No Friday miracle for me.

<sniff>

I still can't stand James.

6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I must be the only person in the universe, or at least on this thread, who has never tasted Nutella.

Nope!

4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

And you can keep the coffee, too....

Yup! 

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I think the key to FJ was to think of a four-letter European capitol. Okay, so there are six of them, but only Rome and Bern are well known, and FJ typically does not go obscure. Starting with four letters and going to six is easier than finding a six-letter city and going to four letters. Bern = Berlin. Of course, it took me more than the allotted time to figure out the backward thing. So: fail.

That's what I did. Of course, it took me forever to come up with Bern, then I couldn't make the leap to Berlin. So, epic fail.

• Love 1
(edited)

A video clip of Loretta Lynn?!  If they can’t get that clue based on "Coal Miner’s Daughter," they don’t deserve to get it.  The Reba McEntire clip was bad, and the Taylor Swift/Tim McGraw clue probably shouldn’t have had one, either – I wouldn’t have known it without it, so be it – but Lynn was ridiculous.

I’ve never had any interest in the James Bond books/movies, but I sure thought I’d picked more up through cultural osmosis over the years – I only got the secretary clue, and that was just because the wording made the job obvious, not because I recognized those names, either.

Thanks to taking geography quizzes, especially ones about capitals, being one of my relaxation habits, FJ was an instaget.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Were there any TS?  I didn't write any down.

Varnish, Normandy, Charles de Gaulle, tremendous, and Miranda Lambert.  All but the last one surprised me to some extent (varnish the most and tremendous the least).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I think videos for those ACM clues were unnecessary.  I don't particularly care for country music, but I got all of those before they showed the video. 

It ALWAYS bugs me when the show videos or photos when I've already come up with the correct answer.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I guess maybe that was the pun, Moneypenny, James Bond.  But, that was just stupid since the clues weren't puns.  Not the biggest deal in the world, I guess.

He still should have pronounced it Mon-NAY punny. 

The only TS I got was De Gaulle. Surprised me that no one got that.

I didn't get FJ. I was floundering about trying to think of four-letter capitals of Europe. Only Rome came to mind.

I'm still impressed with James' knowledge, but I don't like the cutesy DD wagers.

• Love 2