Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

I got both 'twist my arm' and 'Collins' but FJ wasn't coming to me - and I play the saxophone! I just started running through random instruments to see if any fit and completely mentally skipped over the saxophone.

• LOL 2

I didn’t see last night’s episode, so Lindsay was new to me, but she was impressive tonight.

The twist my arm TS was surprising.  Perplex and Philip Marlowe, too.  Collins wasn’t surprising, but that it doesn't surprise me makes me sad; astronauts used to be national heroes and now the first female shuttle commander in NASA history and a member of the Apollo 11 crew - he's the guy who stayed in orbit while the other two got to become the first people to walk on the moon - are unknown to three people who've memorized enough to compete on J!.

That first golf clue was a horribly long-winded way of asking contestants to identify a picture of Tiger Woods.  I got a phone call right after that I had to take, so I don’t know if the rest of the category droned on as well.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

God Damn Bianca.......I mean it would not have mattered, but seriously, how could you be so stupid on the DD bet at the end of the game?  Basically she just handed the game away with that bet whether she got it right or not. 

I didn't know FJ but I would have written down Joe Oboe. 

I find Lindsey annoying, she does a weird thing with her mouth when she answers, just out her low jaw or something. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, Tabasco Cat said:

I knew vex was acceptable.

I said flummox which I imagine would have been accepted.

I got lucky for FJ because Sousaphone popped into my head but then immediately thought too young and American. Hmm, I wonder if sax was a person let’s go with sax!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, Bastet said:

That first golf clue was a horribly long-winded way of asking contestants to identify a picture of Tiger Woods.  I got a phone call right after that I had to take, so I don’t know if the rest of the category droned on as well.

Yes, plus you missed being asked to identify a picture of Jack Nicklaus, where the clue even mentioned his famous nickname, the Golden Bear. I think they must have dumbed down the clues to avoid the usual sports category embarrassment.

Edited by Kathira
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Kathira said:

Yes, plus you missed being asked to identify a picture of Jack Nicklaus, where the clue even mentioned his famous nickname, the Golden Bear. I think they must have dumbed down the clues to avoid the usualy sports category embarrassment.

But nobody got the Irish guy (my answer).

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
50 minutes ago, DrSpaceman said:

HA! Good one! I had nothing. I was trying to think of possible instruments. Harpsicord? Clavichord? Hey, I could have said Cliff Clavin!

I got Rory McElroy and Philip Marlowe.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, SuperCam1 said:

you better hope you don't run into a contestant like Lindsey who is a very strong player and has killer buzzer timing cause if u do it could get ugly but I will still be pulling for you when your game airs.

Not sure what you mean by that. I think I'm pretty good. 

• Love 11
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I said flummox which I imagine would have been accepted.

I got lucky for FJ because Sousaphone popped into my head but then immediately thought too young and American. Hmm, I wonder if sax was a person let’s go with sax!

I thought it was flummox too. I got Collins and twist my arm. I had no clue for final jeopardy. There is an article in the new issue of TV Guide about Alex's diagnosis.

On 3/12/2019 at 1:13 PM, opus said:

Not yet.

I don't have Netflix, but I believe the Schneider bit has been ruled outdated. Old show connection-wise, Mackenzie Phillips (Julie) has done 7 eps of the reboot, and Michael Lembeck (who played Julie's husband) has directed an episode. Valerie has mentioned wanting to appear, but her schedule (she has 3 shows on The Food Network) and the shows schedule haven't lined up. So the new ODAAT will at least need a season 4 to attempt to make that happen.

For completions sake, adding that Glenn Scarpelli, who played Alex, also did an episode (@saber5055 ,  you may not know him if you dumped the show, because he didn’t come in till season 6).

Oh, and those dweebs at Netflix cancelled the reboot 😡

• Useful 1

didn't know Eugene O'Neill won an Oscar.

I am pretty sure he didn’t. 

That was a joke, although I suppose he could have since he died in 1953. However, unlike Simon, O'Neill's plays weren't exactly Hollywood glitz :)

I like the new champ, though I keep wondering how she'd look with a different hairstyle.

Mr. Author just won the Western Writers of America SPUR Award for Best Historical Western. Winners in previous years include Larry McMurtry for Lonesome Dove, Michael Blake for Dances With Wolves, Glendon Swarthout for The Shootist, and Tony Hillerman for Skinwalker.

So (heh-heh 'so') I'm hoping there will soon be a Jeopardy! category called "Western Lit Written by MALE Authors" :)

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

So (heh-heh 'so') I'm hoping there will soon be a Jeopardy! category called "Western Lit Written by MALE Authors" 🙂

Would the male part be necessary?  Isn't most western lit written by males?  

28 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Would the male part be necessary?  Isn't most western lit written by males?  

I believe the point is that Jeopardy feels this ridiculous need to add women to the category title when all the answers are women but never find that need when it’s men. It’s dated condescending bullshit.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Dear Alex,  I suspect you were incorrect when you stated that "most of America" will be watching golf this weekend.  I can think of about eleventy-million things I'd rather do than watch golf.

Oh, is there something going on golf wise? LOL - I must have been brain dead, because the category and the statement didn't sink in, so I had no clue there was anything happening. In this household we're preparing for Selection Sunday.

13 hours ago, chessiegal said:

For the golfer TS I'm guessing "that Irish golfer" wouldn't have been accepted. :}

I got "Rory" - but alas, first names aren't accepted (though, hey, his is individual enough)

11 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I said bassoon (hi @saber5055), and the mister said oboe. We smacked out heads at the answer - since we actually have a saxaphone, and he's a musician.

6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

That was a joke, although I suppose he could have since he died in 1953. However, unlike Simon, O'Neill's plays weren't exactly Hollywood glitz 🙂

I like the new champ, though I keep wondering how she'd look with a different hairstyle.

Mr. Author just won the Western Writers of America SPUR Award for Best Historical Western. Winners in previous years include Larry McMurtry for Lonesome Dove, Michael Blake for Dances With Wolves, Glendon Swarthout for The Shootist, and Tony Hillerman for Skinwalker.

So (heh-heh 'so') I'm hoping there will soon be a Jeopardy! category called "Western Lit Written by MALE Authors" 🙂

O'Neill would fit right in with more current, darker works. I've never shaken off "The Iceman Cometh," and I read it in college, many years ago.

Congrats for Mr. Author's achievement. That's some rarefied company.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I believe the point is that Jeopardy feels this ridiculous need to add women to the category title when all the answers are women but never find that need when it’s men. It’s dated condescending bullshit.

Honestly I don’t find that condescending at all, I think it’s a helpful narrowing of the category that the contestants likely appreciate. You can have “Authors” which would include anyone anywhere who has written a book. Then you can narrow it to “British Authors” or “African American Authors” or “20th Century Authors.” I don’t see any difference between those and “Women Authors.”

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Oh, is there something going on golf wise? LOL - I must have been brain dead, because the category and the statement didn't sink in, so I had no clue there was anything happening. In this household we're preparing for Selection Sunday.

I got "Rory" - but alas, first names aren't accepted (though, hey, his is individual enough)

I said bassoon (hi @saber5055), and the mister said oboe. We smacked out heads at the answer - since we actually have a saxaphone, and he's a musician.

O'Neill would fit right in with more current, darker works. I've never shaken off "The Iceman Cometh," and I read it in college, many years ago.

The women authors category bothers me because women is a noun. Why not call it female authors if you want to narrow it down? 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, teebax said:

Not sure what you mean by that. I think I'm pretty good. 

I KNOW you are good, not just "pretty good." Or you wouldn't be flying to LA to tape the Jeopardy Teachers Tournament. Study up on state capitals though!

10 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

What is Mr. Author's book? (I could google but too lazy.) McMurtry and Hillerman are two of my favorite authors, the second so much that I have visited "the rez" and the diné several times. I greatly admire the Navajo and other Native Americans. Perhaps Mr. A. will get a movie deal out of it. $$$$$$$$ !

12 hours ago, opus said:

Oh, and those dweebs at Netflix cancelled the reboot 😡

I heard it was under the knife. All reviews had been stellar so I'm sorry it was canceled. As for the original, I was too young to notice the Schneider creepiness and thought he was funny, as did everyone in that era. Now though ... I just can't with the reruns. Watching old tv shows is a lesson in how our society thought back then, and explains why those ingrained behaviors are so difficult to change now.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, teebax said:
7 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

The women authors category bothers me because women is a noun. Why not call it female authors if you want to narrow it down? 

Not sure why I was quoted here. But I know the quoting tool can be fiddly.

3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I KNOW you are good, not just "pretty good." Or you wouldn't be flying to LA to tape the Jeopardy Teachers Tournament. Study up on state capitals though!

What is Mr. Author's book? (I could google but too lazy.) McMurtry and Hillerman are two of my favorite authors, the second so much that I have visited "the rez" and the diné several times. I greatly admire the Navajo and other Native Americans. Perhaps Mr. A. will get a movie deal out of it. $$$$$$$$ !

I heard it was under the knife. All reviews had been stellar so I'm sorry it was canceled. As for the original, I was too young to notice the Schneider creepiness and thought he was funny, as did everyone in that era. Now though ... I just can't with the reruns. Watching old tv shows is a lesson in how our society thought back then, and explains why those ingrained behaviors are so difficult to change now.

I loved Hillerman's books too, though I never made it to the rez.

I tried rewatching MASH, and could not stand it, and I loved it back then. Times change, and the lens through which many of us see the world does too.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

You can have “Authors” which would include anyone anywhere who has written a book.

But it generally doesn't.  When they have an "Authors" category, or an "Artists" category, or "World Leaders" or anything open-ended like that, or a category whittled down to century, genre, etc., the overwhelming majority of people asked about in the clues are white men.  Men of color and women  are frequently relegated to those "Women Artists" (which, yes, is doubly annoying because it should be "Female Artists") and "African-American Authors" style categories.  There are not "Male Artists" and "White Writers" categories recurring alongside those.  It's rooted in white and male being the (conscious or subconscious) default.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, saber5055 said:

McMurtry and Hillerman are two of my favorite authors, the second so much that I have visited "the rez" and the diné several times

One of Hillerman's characters has the AAA "Indian Country" map on the wall of his office.  I asked AAA for one of those maps and the clerk said, "Oh, a Hillerman fan?"  Hoping to visit there some time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Driad said:

One of Hillerman's characters has the AAA "Indian Country" map on the wall of his office.  I asked AAA for one of those maps and the clerk said, "Oh, a Hillerman fan?"  Hoping to visit there some time. 

I WANT YOUR MAP!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I WANT YOUR MAP!

AFAIK they are still available from AAA.  Amazon.com sells them too.  You have to provide your own pins though.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 3/12/2019 at 9:11 PM, hendersonrocks said:

I laughed at the Crawdads TS, just because the book was sitting next to me on the couch as I was watching. 

CBS Sunday Morning (yesterday) had a segment on Delia Owens, her book, and her life.  She and her then-husband lived in Africa and studied animal groups (lions, brown hyenas, and elephants), and has several non-fiction books published.  She spent several years writing the fiction, "Where the Crawdads Sing."  The segment is available here:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/delia-owens-on-where-the-crawdads-sing/ if anyone is interested.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I was going to post about that, too. I hadn't heard about that book before Jeopardy, and then there's the CBS story about the author. It's amazing that this is her first novel, though she's experienced in writing, after co-authored three books with her then-husband. Her novel sounds very interesting to me.

• Love 3
On ‎03‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:11 PM, Katy M said:

I hope I never pass that test.  I think I'd be reading about how annoying I am.

Fortunately I was not aware of places like this when I was on Jeopardy.  And I deliberately do not go back and look for comments.

I had no idea for FJ.  My brother used to play sax in school, but I knew nothing of the history of the instrument.

On ‎03‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:20 PM, chessiegal said:

For the golfer TS I'm guessing "that Irish golfer" wouldn't have been accepted. :}

I was a little surprised that no one knew Rory McIlroy, but I guess that's a by-product of my mother watching a lot of golf.  She says it's easy to fall asleep to.

On ‎03‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:22 PM, saber5055 said:

However, I did find the videos of Tiger Woods and Jack Nicklaus to be rather ... well, let's say if I knew them, everyone did.

They couldn't have been easier if they'd supplied half the name.

On ‎03‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:31 PM, Bastet said:

Collins wasn’t surprising, but that it doesn't surprise me makes me sad; astronauts used to be national heroes and now the first female shuttle commander in NASA history and a member of the Apollo 11 crew - he's the guy who stayed in orbit while the other two got to become the first people to walk on the moon - are unknown to three people who've memorized enough to compete on J!.

I didn't get Collins because I was trying to think of a more recent astronaut and said "Kelly".  Otherwise I'd have said Collins.  I did not recognize the other person with that last name at all.

• Love 1
On ‎03‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:38 PM, saber5055 said:

What is Mr. Author's book? (I could google but too lazy.) McMurtry and Hillerman are two of my favorite authors, the second so much that I have visited "the rez" and the diné several times. I greatly admire the Navajo and other Native Americans.

I've only visited the Four Corners region once, but that once was because of Tony Hillerman's books.

• Love 1
On 3/16/2019 at 2:05 AM, Mystery Author said:

Besides her vast range of knowledge, her hairstyle, and her style in general (glasses, earrings, what I can see of her outfits) is one the things I like about her. And the buzzer mashing is chipping away at my good will toward her. 

Congrats to Mr. MA! An accomplishment & honor indeed! 

Alex made me tear up. I love that Watson sent him a message. 

• Love 5

I hadn't heard about that book before Jeopardy, and then there's the CBS story about the author. It's amazing that this is her first novel, though she's experienced in writing, after co-authored three books with her then-husband. Her novel sounds very interesting to me.

I finished it a few days ago and highly recommend it. 

Eager to see if the current champ prevails again today. I usually feel bad snarking on contestants for their tv presence, knowing I'd probably annoy people myself too, but phew. She is testing me.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 3/16/2019 at 1:38 PM, saber5055 said:

If I'm not mistaken (and if I am, I sure hope MA will correct me), it's this: "In other book-length fiction categories, G.K. Aalborg’s River of Porcupines (Five Star Publishing) won for historical novel;"

I haven't read any of Hillerman's books, but I have been to the Four Corners and to Mesa Verde when we were camping about 27 years ago, in Durango.

• Love 1
On 3/15/2019 at 10:31 PM, Bastet said:

Collins wasn’t surprising, but that it doesn't surprise me makes me sad; astronauts used to be national heroes and now the first female shuttle commander in NASA history and a member of the Apollo 11 crew - he's the guy who stayed in orbit while the other two got to become the first people to walk on the moon - are unknown to three people who've memorized enough to compete on J!.

• My late mom once told me of something she read about how to remember the Apollo 11 guys - their first initials are the same as "the first 3 men on earth" - Adam & Abel (Armstrong & Aldrin) got to walk on the moon, while Cain, the killer, (Collins) had to stay behind.  I thought that was extemely stupid, especially comparing Collins to a murderer, but, obviously, I never forgot it.
  • Love 4

Serious question. Wouldn't the contestant coordinators advise a player to quit beating the crap out of the buzzer? I can see it happening for one game, but I'd expect someone to attempt to talk the poor girl down at some point.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8

I had to think about the second movie for FJ -- Moonlight was an instaget -- but I think I would have had enough time to write them both down. 

But I was distracted during most of the show (plus it's hard for me to watch the champ killing the buzzer like that), so the only TS I got was Speedo.  I was really surprised that no one got that one.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Serious question. Wouldn't the contestant coordinators advise a player to quit beating the crap out of the buzzer? I can see it happening for one game, but I'd expect someone to attempt to talk the poor girl down at some point.

the coordinators tells them do whatever they feel is best for them.

Edited by RT4
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Why?  I'm pretty sure it's sturdy enough that she's not going to break it.

I got all the geography category wrong.  I hate it when that happens.  But, I'm so geographically challenged, it's not even funny. I'm also movie challenged, so no on FJ.  I keep thinking La La Land.  Clearly I have Faye Dunaway to blame for my loss:).  I did get all the 15 letter words, though, so there is that.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I was a little surprised that no one knew Rory McIlroy, but I guess that's a by-product of my mother watching a lot of golf.  She says it's easy to fall asleep to.

That's why I won't even have golf on the tv in the background, it puts me instantly to sleep. Really puts a crimp in my productivity.

34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

the only TS I got was Speedo.  I was really surprised that no one got that one.

I got it! It all goes back to high school, when I had a monster crush on one of the swim-team guys so went to all the swim meets. Good times.

Did anyone else hear the answer of "World" Fair instead of "World's" Fair? Not that what I hear or think I hear makes any difference to the judging on this show.

For FJ I instantly came up with The Artist. Hey, it's nine letters. But then I couldn't come up with what won the next or previous year. So, total fail.

Congrats to Lindsay — great job again, Champ. I just hope she can make it past the Three-Day-Champ Curse tomorrow.

• Love 3

I got Moonlight pretty quickly - pretty much the only best picture winner I can ever remember, thanks to the drama/confusion with it - but I guessed Starlight for the second movie, which I obviously made up. Would never in a million years have come up with Spotlight - I had to google it and then recalled hearing about a movie with that plot, but wouldn't have remembered the title or known that it won best picture.

• Love 3
53 minutes ago, RT4 said:

the coordinators tells them do whatever they feel is best for them.

But does the clicking have to be so audible? Surely there's a technical way to avoid that. Maybe I haven't paid close enough attention but I really never noticed it before this current champ.

• Love 4

Thank goodness for FJ, because I laid an egg during the regular game. Moonlight was an instaget, but I had to think for a second to get Spotlight.

I do not like the champ. At all!

25 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Did anyone else hear the answer of "World" Fair instead of "World's" Fair? 

Yes!

• Love 6
On 3/15/2019 at 7:51 PM, SoMuchTV said:

Is there something different with the way the contestants are mic'ed lately? I know I've seen them desperately trying to buzz in but the last episode or two I've really been hearing  the clickclickclickclick. Mostly I think from the returning champ. Did I just not notice it before?

1 hour ago, rubaco said:

I was looking at her hands, and she seems to have a lot of jewelry on (rings and bracelets), so that's my diagnosis of why her buzzer technique is so loud! For whatever that's worth. 

I can't believe I couldn't come up with Spotlight.

30 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Would never in a million years have come up with Spotlight - I had to google it

I keep up with movies and always watch the Oscars, but I must have been in a comma that year since I'd never heard of Spotlight, I also had to google it. Interestingly, I knew all seven of the other 2016 Best Picture nominees and can tell you plots, actors, directors and so forth for all seven. But Spotlight? Never heard of it. Go figure.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, rubaco said:

They encourage it. 

FJ was an instaget, but I've been studying The Oscars. I may not have remembered Spotlight otherwise. I'll always remember Moonlight because of the fiasco during the broadcast. 

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I keep up with movies and always watch the Oscars, but I must have been in a comma that year since I'd never heard of Spotlight, I also had to google it. Interestingly, I knew all seven of the other 2016 Best Picture nominees and can tell you plots, actors, directors and so forth for all seven. But Spotlight? Never heard of it. Go figure.

I was pretty sure it was Moonlight, but I couldn't come up with another xxxxlight. And I've seen Spotlight! Good movie!

• Love 2

I generally do better with clues about Oscar winners of old rather than films of the past ten years or so, but FJ was an instaget.

I went through that annoying bout of not knowing most TV clues a while back, but even though the only finale asked about I had seen was MASH, I ran the category.  In fact, I ran the entire first round - good for me. 

Not so much with the DJ round.  I did get all the geography and 15-letter-word clues, and got all but one in the classical music category because most of those could be answered by knowing something else in the clue.

Speedo being a TS really surprised me.

"Picked the right country"?  At that point, Alex, she'd been running the category, so isn't it just as likely she was visualizing the map and answering accordingly, not picking one of the countries in that area and hoping to be right?

That was a strong performance by the champ.

• Love 3

You all beat me to my points - buzzer murderer, hearing WORLD Fair, getting Moonlight right away (though I did come up with Spotlight, too).

I liked both the challengers today. 

• Love 4