Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Thanks for the kind words all! To answer some questions:

At the time, it didn’t feel like Evan was going so slow. Watching the show I was going crazy. We could have easily got to that last clue if he hadn’t been so off the pace.

Relatedly, I absolutely knew Allison Janney, but SOMEone ate up all the time and I couldn’t get in fast enough. You can see my buzzer lights. 

My 14-year-old knew Maginot Line. I very definitely did not. 

At the end (you don’t see it on TV) I leaned over and gave Barton a little grief for being Canadian. I believed every US schoolchild knows 1620. But the aforementioned WWI expert teenager didn’t know it either. 

The taping was January 29. Alex had not yet announced his diagnosis, though he must have been aware something was wrong, and seemed hale and hearty, not at all frail. I hope he has years left with us. 

• Love 18

1585 was the establishment of Roanoke, which became the lost colony.  1607 was the establishment of Jamestown, with 1619 being the first meeting of the house of Burgesses.  So I knew it was 1620.

I thought of crawdads, but it seemed too obvious.  I’ll have to google Maginot Line ‘cause I have no idea what it is.

Sorry a second win wasn’t to be for you, Elaine. You played so well!

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

I guess no one here watched Feud: Bette and Joan last spring?

I saw it. I went back and forth betw whom I thought was better: Sarandon or Jessica Lange.

TSs I got were airports, Brown Bear, Susan Sarandon, and crawdads. I couldn't come up with Allison Janney's name. I was stuck on Jannings (Emil?) and couldn't get past it.

I didn't realize Prince's symbol was called a love symbol.

I didn't get FJ. After the clue was read, I thought and thought and then said to myself that it was obviously something I'd never heard of. Turns out I have heard of the Maginot Line, but I always thought it was an imaginary line, like the Mason-Dixon.

Also got FJ even though I wasn't really sure he had died in 2018.

I bet all my imaginary money on a category I love (along with Broadway anything) and won. Mr. Author was impressed (and owes me dinner out because I guessed Jimmy Hoffa too - hah!).

I didn't know Eugene O'Neill won an Oscar.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Allison Janney is one of my favorite actors, so her being a TS was a bummer.

I knew Allison Janney instantly.  Unfortunately, what I actually said was "Janel Moloney." I knew who it was, but put the wrong West Wing name with her. 😞

Welcome to Elaine/Stavia, and congratulations on your victory.  You played well both games.  I'm sorry that you didn't have better luck in the second one.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I know, he was driving me crazy.  I hold him completely responsible for the one clue left on the board. That's better than they do a lot of times, but he had at least 3 pauses that were long enough for one more clue.

Especially at the end, when there were a handful of clues in two categories. Just pick one already.

11 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Agreed!  And good for you, @Stavia for not drawing it out too long and running out of time.  🙂

I also was annoyed by Evan's slow picking, and was really surprised that Brandon missed the Plymouth Rock clue.  1603 was Jamestown. 

I once knew someone who seriously pronounced the silent Ps in words.  Drove me insane, but apparently she couldn't help it or something.  And no, she wasn't just doing it to drive me insane.

Once again I was clueless for FJ.  I've heard of the Maginot Line, but had no idea what it was.  I did think the answer must have had something to do with the war, but ended up guessing Autobahn as well, just to  have something to say.  But I did get several TS -- 1620, Brown Bear, pneumonic, Allison Janney, crawdads, Henry Clay, and Adirondacks. 

I love Allison Janney, so I was sad she was a TS, and I also loved "Where The Crawdads Sing", but since it's a fairly recent book, wasn't surprised it was a TS.  Adirondacks surprised me, though, especially after Catskills had been ruled out.

I'd never heard of the book - but being raised by a southerner, I'd heard "crawdads" all my life. Though I don't believe I've ever eaten one.

• Love 1
44 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I'd never heard of the book - but being raised by a southerner, I'd heard "crawdads" all my life. Though I don't believe I've ever eaten one.

I'm from the north, so we do call them crayfish, but I knew that one.  And, I remember one summer, my parents' friends had a cabin on a lake a lake and the kids (there were 5 of us between both families and I was the youngest, which sucked) got to pull up the crayfish traps.  I can't remember eating any, though.  Maybe the other family was selling them?  I was probably only 6 or 7, tops, so I don't remember that clearly.  And, no there was no point to that story.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Stavia said:

Relatedly, I absolutely knew Allison Janney, but SOMEone ate up all the time and I couldn’t get in fast enough. You can see my buzzer lights. 

If I remember correctly, Alex didn't prompt you and Burton after Evan missed it. He just waited a second and then gave the correct response. I assumed at the time you were waiting for Alex's cue.  That stinks, since you knew the answer. 

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I can't believe I got FJ. I literally said "I don't know.  Maginot Line?  That can't possibly be right.  Well, that's my answer."  LOL.  Knew a couple of answers I couldn't think of fast enough.  I hate that.  I like it better when I just flat out don't know.

I thought it was the Maginot Line, then briefly considered changing it to the Siegfried line but didn't.  I wasn't 100% sure I was right, though.  Same with my answer for the Henry Clay TS - he was the only person I could come up with, but I wasn't certain it was correct.

I knew Crawdads because someone on another forum here mentioned not liking it just the other day.

14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I guess no one here watched Feud: Bette and Joan last spring?

I didn't watch it, but I knew Susan Sarandon was in it.

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

1620, Brown Bear, pneumonic, Allison Janney, crawdads, Henry Clay, and Adirondacks

I knew 1620, crawdads, and Allison Janney.  Guessed correctly on Henry Clay, and wavered between Catskills and Adirondacks.  I should've know pneumonic plague (my Late Middles Ages professor would be so disappointed in me) but got tangled up with pneumatic, which had already been used, and couldn't get it straight.

13 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't realize Prince's symbol was called a love symbol.

Me neither.  I always called it "that weird Prince thing".

I was hoping cute guy in the middle would win, but guy on the end was okay.

• Love 2

Elaine, I was rooting for you...can't remember if this was the clue where it seemed like Alex didn't really open the board up before time ran out after Evan got it wrong

Maginot was an instaget for me, then I second guess to Siegfried Line, then autobahn, before deciding to go with the first impulse. 

I got Henry Clay, I think because we drove back from Florida this past weekend and passed the exit on I-75 for the Henry Clay house. 

Edited by bad things are bad
  • Love 1

@Stavia - Welcome & great job! Just wish Tuesday's game had turned out better for you. I had no idea of FJ, but it was an instaget for my WWII geek hubby. I loved your black & white dress. 

TS I got were 1620 (Barton's missed DD), Brown Bear, Allison Janney, Susan Sarandon. 

They're called crawfish, people. Craw.fish!! 😉

17 hours ago, lb60 said:

Not a fan of the new champ.

Me either. At least slow Evan didn't win, but I was really rooting for Elaine/Stavia. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Toothbrush said:

They're called crawfish, people. Craw.fish!! 😉

But, but, but (Biology pedant alert!) -- they aren't fish!  LOL 

I grew up calling them crawdads, but I've heard anything ranging from crayfish to mud bugs.  No matter what you call them, if you roll them in cornmeal and fry them up, they taste delicious!

• Love 4

I had to get ready for a dinner meeting and then leave during yesterday's episode so only watched the beginning to see @Stavia's hair, and was tickled to see it matched the background colors during the intro, so good on you! I like when Trebek's colors match the set background too. I also noticed we are in (almost) the same profession, which might account for why I'm cool with the hair color. Different strokes.

Earlier in the day, I looked up the FJ clue on TheJeopardyFan so I could get it added to the contest. Maginot Line was the only thing I could think of, but I was positive it was wrong. I thought everyone would laugh at me (here!) if I'd been on the show and wrote that down. Imagine my shock when it turned out to be correct.

24 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I grew up calling them crawdads, but I've heard anything ranging from crayfish to mud bugs.  No matter what you call them, if you roll them in cornmeal and fry them up, they taste delicious!

A "same here" and yes to all of the above!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

But, but, but (Biology pedant alert!) -- they aren't fish!  LOL 

Yes they are delicious fried, or boiled in crab boil with potatoes, corn, sausage, & garlic. Or in etouffee. 

• Love 2

I've never read The Natural, and I didn't see the movie, either, so I had no chance of getting FJ tonight.  Even when Alex said the main character's name, I was clueless. 

No offense, Barton, if you're lurking, but I was rooting for the other guy. 

TS I managed to get included giraffes, stucco, chophouse, and black lung.  Black lung as a TS surprised me, but perhaps it shouldn't have -- it's not in the news now quite the way it once was, and possibly never was outside the coal-mining region where I grew up.  I even wrote a paper on it once upon a time.

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Black lung as a TS surprised me, but perhaps it shouldn't have -- it's not in the news now quite the way it once was, and possibly never was outside the coal-mining region where I grew up.  

I grew up in Chicago and I knew about black lung disease, so it’s not regional but it may be era-related.

• Love 4

Thanks again, Timeless, for teaching me about Madam Curie and those x-ray machines. That show needs to be picked up by some network, it actually taught things besides how to jump a fence and use a key to a Fantasy Suite.

The TS of stucco was easy for me since the house next to where I grew up was stucco. It bothered some people to stand close and look at the texture, it would creep them out.

I also got black lung. Ha ha. Go ahead and make a joke out of that.

I wanted the woman player to give us at least one of her haikus.

So, question: Is the pronunciation "pull-itzer" as Trebek said, or "pee-you-litzer" as Barton said?

Oh, Sam, shame on you. The person who has a yearly Oscar Fantasy Team missed FJ.

21 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I've never read The Natural, and I didn't see the movie, either,

It's one of my fav movies (Robert Redford!) so I knew the answer immediately, even though I didn't have a clue it was a book. And that line is not in the movie. Hey, some days things just work for me.

2 minutes ago, SHD said:

I grew up in Chicago and I knew about black lung disease, so it’s not regional but it may be era-related.

It's also the subject of many tv shows and novels, or mentioned/discussed in them, if you happen to fall into watching and reading the right things.

• Love 3

I never read the book, but the movie of The Natural with Robert Redford is very good. And Redford was gorgeous. (It was an instaget for me.)

I realized who Barton reminds me of - Gilbert Gottfried. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I mostly didn't (and don't) watch sports-oriented movies.

Me either, but I do have a brother who loves that movie.

16 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It's also the subject of many tv shows and novels

Just to prove my point, John Grisham's Gray Mountain is about Big Coal and lawyers defending miners stricken with the disease. I listened to the audio book during one of my road trips last year.

On 3/12/2019 at 9:15 AM, Clanstarling said:

Doesn't the curse usually happen before the show is aired? That is, clues about people who were alive when the episode filmed, and who've since departed or had scandals. That being said, the man's 96, we gotta expect it sometime.

Not always - there have been a few examples where the person has died shortly after the episode has aired. Kate Spade is the first one that comes to mind.

• Useful 1
12 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I mostly didn't (and don't) watch sports-oriented movies.

The movie subject could be nothing or anything, or just Redford on screen for two hours and I'd pay to see it. *shallow*

A little OT, but ABC news tonight said Alex was back on set filming episodes today, after one week off.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Kathira said:

Yes, maybe that's it. He has the most annoying voice and speaking manner I can remember among recent contestants. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I've never read The Natural, and I didn't see the movie, either, so I had no chance of getting FJ tonight.  Even when Alex said the main character's name, I was clueless. 

I said Old Yeller.  

I also said asbestos for that clue that I already forgot the answer to. I always think it's funny if I say the same stupid obviously wrong answer that a contestant gives.  If they lose (which she did) I'm always afraid it's my fault because I accidentally mind-melded with them.  Because, really, asbestos?  What were the odds of both of saying that?  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kathira said:

I never read the book, but the movie of The Natural with Robert Redford is very good. And Redford was gorgeous. (It was an instaget for me.)

I knew FJ, but I thought the clue was kind of obscure since the line is not in the movie. Spoiler tag just in case:

Spoiler

The book is much darker than the movie, and doesn't have a happy ending. 

Right on about Gilbert Gottfried! I hope someone tells Barton to tone it down and we can hear him just fine without the shouting.

• Love 1

The stucco TS was a doozy, but I'd have to look up where the contestants live to see if they all reside in areas where it's not common.  Black lung was surprising, too.

On the flip side, I was surprised two of them got FJ, because I would have thought the novel nowhere near as well known as the movie, making that a more challenging quote than the results indicated. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I said Old Yeller.  

I also said asbestos for that clue that I already forgot the answer to. I always think it's funny if I say the same stupid obviously wrong answer that a contestant gives.  If they lose (which she did) I'm always afraid it's my fault because I accidentally mind-melded with them.  Because, really, asbestos?  What were the odds of both of saying that?  

Not a bad guess for Old Yeller. That was also a 1950’s book. 

And I’ll defend the asbestos guess, too, because part of the clue mentioned fire resistance, and asbestos was absolutely used for that in buildings.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

I said Old Yeller.  

Hey, so did I! I don't feel so bad now. 🙂 I didn't think it sounded quite right, but I didn't have another guess. I didn't know The Natural was written so long before the movie.

The TSs I got were stucco, shoal, and black lung.

I've read Giraffes Can't Dance, but I just couldn't remember the animal this evening.

I'm sorry "Andrew Rannells" didn't win. What a shame after doing so great thruout the game, only to miss FJ.

• Love 3

My friend just started hosting a trivia night last week so went for moral support and there was a similar question as FJ so I got it but wouldn’t have gotten it last week!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, biakbiak said:
21 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

didn't know Eugene O'Neill won an Oscar.

I am pretty sure he didn’t. 

And if he'd died in 2018, he'd have been 130 years old !  Born 1888, died 1953.  Jack Nicholson actually  did get an Oscar nomination for playing O'Neill in Reds,  so there's that 😉

I actually researched him a bit lately in response to Pete Davidson's "Charlie Chaplin married a 15-year-old" remark on SNL.  No, Oona was 18 when she married the 54 year old Chaplin.  And it lasted till death (his) did them part, and produced 8(!) children.  So, there's that too.  His first 2 wives were each 16 to his late 20's-early 30's, and Paulette Goddard was 21 to his 40's (and he was her 2nd husband!)   Different times.

• Useful 1

Barton is growing on me (so he is now doomed, no doubt), but I would have preferred Adrian or Sam to have won. Felt so bad for Sam doing so well only to lose in FJ. 

TS I got were giraffes, stucco, black lung disease. I guessed Old Yeller for FJ

I totally wanted to hear some Jeopardy haikus.

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks again, Timeless, for teaching me about Madam Curie and those x-ray machines. That show needs to be picked up by some network,

Oh, Sam, shame on you. The person who has a yearly Oscar Fantasy Team missed FJ.

And that line is not in the movie.

I knew about Marie Curie & the x-ray machines thanks to Timeless also. And yes, I would love for it to be picked up by another network, but it was wrapped up nicely. 

I guess Sam didn't recognize the line since it's not in the movie. His Oscar fantasy team reminded me of Bow on blackish saying that sound editing & (some other obscure category that I can't remember) win Oscar pools. 

8 hours ago, Katy M said:

Asbestos crossed my mind for a moment before landing on stucco, so probably not such an unusual guess.  

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 1

Since I hate turtlenecks and its just "I'm not into football...", Not "THE football....", can guess who I was not rooting for. 

Guess he is not into "THE baseball..." either, but then it was a very famous movie more well known now than the book, so go figure how he missed that one. 

• Love 1

I did not grow up in an area with stucco (never saw it even until I was in my late 20s), but I feel like everything I read about Italy/Spain/Mediteranean countries involved stucco buildings.

8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I've read Giraffes Can't Dance, but I just couldn't remember the animal this evening.

Funny thing, I've never even heard of that book, I just guessed an animal.  And somehow I ended up guessing giraffes.  wild guesses count.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Kathira said:

For me, it's not so much Gottfried, but he looks like he's got those Jerry Lewis fake teeth. His teeth seem too big for his mouth, and he seems self-conscious about it. He shouldn't - it's not something he can do anything about these days. Dentists seem loath to extract healthy teeth for cosmetic reasons, unless, of course, it's Hollywood.

I like Barton.

I got chophouse, Mr.Trey got black lung.  I wondered if the contestants were trying to come up with mesothelioma for black lung even though they do not have the same cause, mesothelioma being caused by asbestos.

I feel so stupid about FJ.  The Natural came to mind pretty quickly but I switched to Field of Dreams.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got stucco (eventually), but I did understand the thinking behind the asbestos answer, since fire proofing or something like that was in the clue.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks again, Timeless, for teaching me about Madam Curie and those x-ray machines. That show needs to be picked up by some network, it actually taught things besides how to jump a fence and use a key to a Fantasy Suite.

I didn't quite get there, but when the answer was given I thought "shoot, I should have known that because of Timeless!"

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Lots of stucco houses where I grew up, but I could not pull the word from my brain.  FJ! was an instaget.  My mother loved that movie, and I've seen it quite a few times.  Redford was at his most gorgeous in that film.  I like Barton, so yes, he is doomed.  THE football annoyed me to no end.  A total affectation.

• Love 2

I was surprised by the black lung TS too, but I live in Appalachia and my dad, a coal miner for many years, is a patient at a black lung clinic.

And I'm a couple of days behind, but so cool to have Elaine posting here!  Congrats on your win @Stavia!  I love that you were as annoyed by the one guy's slow play as we were.

• Love 1

LOL Barton.

Even without Antihistamine Evan there were a lot of clues left over in this game.  I would've run the kids' books category, but I've never heard of the giraffe one.  I did spend time yesterday looking up the art for Make Way for Ducklings and everything Carle and being generally less angry than I was before I did that. I even learned there's a duckling statue installation in Boston.

My otherwise useless Latin education had me up in arms that Adrian got credit for just "quad"; she should've had to say "quadrangle" since the clue specified that the word came from Latin for four corners.

I am generally ignorant about war history, so I always thought the Maginot Line was just metaphorical/geographical, not actual fortifications.  I had nothing for that.  Autobahn wasn't a bad guess.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I even learned there's a duckling statue installation in Boston.

Knowing that was the only reason I got that answer.

15 minutes ago, Lois Sandborne said:

My otherwise useless Latin education had me up in arms that Adrian got credit for just "quad"; she should've had to say "quadrangle" since the clue specified that the word came from Latin for four corners.

Exactly, her answer just meant four.  She should have gotten a BMS.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I've never read the book, but I've read enough about the movie to know that the main character's name was Roy.  It's the only book I know of where that is the case, so that was my answer, even though I thought it was probably wrong.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

TS I managed to get included giraffes, stucco, chophouse, and black lung.  Black lung as a TS surprised me, but perhaps it shouldn't have -- it's not in the news now quite the way it once was, and possibly never was outside the coal-mining region where I grew up.  I even wrote a paper on it once upon a time.

I didn't get giraffes but did get the rest.  I knew chophouse because Dutch Schultz was shot in one.  And like you, I was very surprised by the black lung TS.

I am ashamed to admit that, despite being probably my favorite book of all time, I didn't get A Wrinkle In Time; for some reason I got hung up on A Swiftly Tilting Planet (the third book in the trilogy) and couldn't get past it.

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Thanks again, Timeless, for teaching me about Madam Curie and those x-ray machines.

Yep, I read about it in a WWI-set book later, but saw it first on Timeless.  I miss that show.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

The stucco TS was a doozy, but I'd have to look up where the contestants live to see if they all reside in areas where it's not common. 

I live in northeastern Maryland, and while it's not as commonly used as brick, it's not uncommon.

2 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

Even without Antihistamine Evan there were a lot of clues left over in this game.

Didn't they leave a whole category in DJ?  The Wet Tortugas one.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Didn't they leave a whole category in DJ?  The Wet Tortugas one. 

Four of the five Wet Tortugas clues were left on the board. All together, $7,600 worth of clues went unrevealed.

I would think stucco would be common in the southwest. But my neighbor's stucco house is in northern Illinois.

3 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

I was surprised by the black lung TS too, but I live in Appalachia and my dad, a coal miner for many years, is a patient at a black lung clinic.

I'm sorry to hear that, @TaraS1.  Many of my relatives were coal miners back in the day.

38 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

What one did they answer?

I don't remember the wording, but it was something about sea turtles coming onto land to lay eggs, I think.

• Love 1