Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
JamieLynn832002

Veronica Mars Revival

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

Not sure where to put this. Hulu Eyes 8-episode Veronica Mars revival.

I'm not sure I'll truly believe it until it's actually a done deal but I'm assuming they're close if TVLine is reporting it. If it happens and is done well, I'm excited.

Just saw this. I haven’t seen anyone confirming on social media, but nicest surprise ever if true!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm ready! I don't have Hulu, but I would do a free trial just to see those 8 episodes. I'm canceling after that. I would have preferred Netflix, but are you going to do? At least there's a very strong possibility of this happening! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Variety, Rolling Stone (citing Variety) and EW agree: the deal for an 8 - 10 episode run on Hulu is on the verge of being signed.    

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I'm not sure I'm that excited about this. I don't want to be ageist, but I feel like Veronica not being a young person anymore kind of changes a lot about the show's tone and the original appeal. 

Unless Rob Thomas is planning to reinvent it in more dramatic ways, somehow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

She wasn't a young person in the movie or books and I thought those worked fairly well and even before that a plan for season 4 was a post college FBI Veronica so Rob has given some thought to how to make an adult Veronica work in a series. Of course, the FBI season 4 wasn't supposed to involve any of the rest of the cast and I'd hate that so I hope there's some kind of happy medium.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I think Neptune still offers a lot as a setting even without the high school stuff. And seeing how some other characters' lives turned out could be fun.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/22/2018 at 8:00 AM, jenrising said:

Reading the novels definitely convinced me there's a lot of good story with Veronica out of school. I'm really excited for this.

I just ordered both books a few weeks ago. I’m on chapter 4 of TTDTL. I’m enjoying it so far. I see Logan is still overseas and not in Neptune, but I hear he’s back in the second book. But that’s the life of a person in the service. The best thing about it airing on a streaming service is it’s no different than if it were airing on paid cable. In other words, it will be uncensored. 

Edited by Simba122504

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Simba122504 said:

I just ordered both books a few weeks ago. I’m on chapter 4 of TTDTL. I’m enjoying it so far. I see Logan is still overseas and not in Neptune, but I hear he’s back in the second book. But that’s the life of a person in the service. The best thing about it airing on a streaming service is it’s no different than if it were airing on paid cable. In other words, it will be uncensored. 

TTDTL was pretty good.  I could never find a copy of MK&T that didn't cost a good sum, but finally my local library got it on streaming, so I just started it.  Yes, Logan is in at least the beginning of the book.  So far, it seems pretty good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Veronica Mars Revival at Hulu Eyes October Start
 

Quote

Hulu’s Veronica Mars revival is inching closer to reality. As the deal-making between the streamer and Warner Bros. continues, sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that production on the eight-episode limited series is slated to begin in late October in Los Angeles and continue through March.

Meanwhile, I hear franchise overlord Rob Thomas will be rejoined behind the scenes by longtime Veronica Mars collaborators Diane Ruggiero-Wright and Dan Etheridge, both of whom will serve as exec producers alongside Thomas and leading lady Kristen Bell. Thomas and Ruggiero-Wright co-wrote the screenplay for 2014’s fan-funded Veronica Mars feature film.

Details about the revival’s plot are scarce, although I’m told the quasi-Season 4 will revolve around a serial killer terrorizing Neptune. The investigation will presumably put Veronica and pa Keith (Enrico Colantoni, who is expected to return) in the crosshairs of the new-ish local sheriff; casting is underway for an African-American actress in her 50s to play the town’s top law-enforcer.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

‘Veronica Mars’ Revival Series Confirmed At Hulu; Additional Details Revealed

Quote

In the revival, spring breakers are getting murdered in Neptune, thereby decimating the seaside town’s lifeblood tourist industry. After Mars Investigations is hired by the parents of one of the victims to find their son’s killer, Veronica is drawn into an epic eight-episode mystery that pits the enclave’s wealthy elites, who would rather put an end to the month-long bacchanalia, against a working class that relies on the cash influx that comes with being the West Coast’s answer to Daytona Beach.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

This sounds good. I think going non-nostalgic is the only way this could work at this point, sort of re-booting it. I wonder if none of the original cast will even be involved (besides Kristen and Enrico).

Share this post


Link to post

So many articles I read called this a "reboot", so I assumed all the characters would be recast and they would start the premise over.  I had to skim through four articles before I found one which confirmed that Kristen Bell would be back as Veronica Mars, so thank goodness!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

One thing I really appreciate is how excited Kristen Bell, who doesn't need the money or exposure, keeps wanting to come back to the role that gave her her real start. She's loyal, and clearly loves the character a lot. Cool to see from an actor. 

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post

Confirmed now that four series vets are returning- Logan, Wallace, Weevil and Dick.

Enrico Colantoni was already confirmed, right? I haven't seen his name anywhere, but I assume he's here too. 

I honestly am not totally sure how much I want Logan involved...I know that Logan/Veronica are everything to the fans (and believe me, I was one of them!), but what role can he play anymore at this point? I almost think he should be in like one or two episodes, just as a nod to the fans to show they're still together or something, but maybe not a part of the main mystery plot. 

I feel like Veronica at this age should be past all the relationship drama.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I honestly am not totally sure how much I want Logan involved...I know that Logan/Veronica are everything to the fans (and believe me, I was one of them!), but what role can he play anymore at this point? I almost think he should be in like one or two episodes, just as a nod to the fans to show they're still together or something, but maybe not a part of the main mystery plot. 

I feel like Veronica at this age should be past all the relationship drama.

I feel like the books got their relationship right in that way and I would like to see Logan/Veronica in a healthy relationship. I would appreciate seeing Logan happy and without any major drama. He has been consistently supportive of Veronica's detective work and I hope he continues to help with it as well. It will be interesting for the show to depict their relationship as a normal one with relatable struggles. In the books, they were dealing with long distance but they were still making it work. Are they living together? What are their future plans? Do they want to have children at some point? I am interested in these aspects of their relationship and characters. Good writing can make it interesting without having to go to angst or contrivances such as love triangles, disappearing friends/family, or murder allegations. I feel both characters have grown a lot since the original show and they can still develop further. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I would love for Mac to come back.  She was in the latest book, and I assume this revival is after the last book.

Will Logan still be in the Navy?  And it'll be interesting to see the new sheriff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

A couple of days ago, Rob tweeted out the names of the writing staff: 

 

 

 

David Walpert worked on (among other things) the Cupid reboot. 

The @RickFoxTheActor Twitter handle belongs to Heather V. Regnier, who has worked on Sleepy Hollow and Rob's iZombie. 

@Rugz19 is Diane Ruggiero. Finally, a familiar VM scribe name!

@Kaj33 is Kareem-Abdul Jabbar. I'm not joking. The AV Club has a bit about his writing

I could only find one Raymond Obstlfeld on IMDb. I don't know if this is the one working on VM

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/25/2018 at 6:41 AM, Athena said:

I feel like the books got their relationship right in that way and I would like to see Logan/Veronica in a healthy relationship. I would appreciate seeing Logan happy and without any major drama. He has been consistently supportive of Veronica's detective work and I hope he continues to help with it as well. It will be interesting for the show to depict their relationship as a normal one with relatable struggles. In the books, they were dealing with long distance but they were still making it work. Are they living together? What are their future plans? Do they want to have children at some point? I am interested in these aspects of their relationship and characters. Good writing can make it interesting without having to go to angst or contrivances such as love triangles, disappearing friends/family, or murder allegations. I feel both characters have grown a lot since the original show and they can still develop further. 

I agree with all of this. I liked that their relationship in the books was relatively drama-free (in the first book, their biggest issue was finding the right time in their schedules/time zones to skype). No, things aren’t totally perfect but the things they’re dealing with now are normal adult issues, as opposed to the super angsty issues they had on the show (DID YOU ROOFY ME AND INADVERTENTLY HAVE A HAND IN MY RAPE?!). If they can keep their relationship like that, I’m fine with having Logan on the show. Hee, if we get one scene per episode where they sit on the sofa playing with the dog, I’ll be happy. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/30/2018 at 3:18 PM, possibilities said:

I hope Dohring finally got some speech therapy so it doesn't always sound like his tongue is swollen to the point of choking him when he speaks.

I actually like his Pasta Fazool voice (tm Sarah and John)! LOL 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

So excited for this revival!! Also so happy that most of the main cast is coming back.

I would like to see more LoVe. Some normal healthy relationship portrayal would be nice. However, it wouldn't be LoVe without some type of drama. I would almost be disappointed if some type of drama didn't occur between them. I might be in the minority on that one lol.  But, I'll take whatever RT wants to give us besides a love triangle. For the love of God I am so over love triangles.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/5/2018 at 12:00 AM, marshmallows said:

But, I'll take whatever RT wants to give us besides a love triangle. For the love of God I am so over love triangles.

II think, though, Veronica will have an important life decision to make and as her most common antagonists Logan or Keith will the catalyst(s). So some sort of binary decision. I doubt it will be couched in romantic terms. I hope not. 

Edited by Affogato · Reason: Sent too soon bus transfer
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I know I’m one of the people who criticized Teddy Dunn’s acting, but I would love for him to make a least a cameo. In what context, I don’t know. And  I know TD is an attorney and doesn’t act anymore. But it would be a fun moment of nostalgia to see Duncan again. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post

I'm excited about this revival.  I guess I'll have to do a HULU free trial too when the time comes.  I'm glad the main cast is returning too - just saw that Ryan Hansen will be back as Dick too.  Now just waiting for word on Mack. 

I, for one, have zero desire for Teddy Dunn to come back.  He was a big spot of blah in an otherwise colorful world.  I've never given his character a second thought since he left.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I for one hope she finally comes to her senses and dumps his douchetastic ass.  Certain characters do not deserve redemption arcs, and there is nothing in his series behavior that suggests otherwise.  As I mentioned in another thread, the Navy storyline in the movie is pure fanwanking and laughable handwaving bullshit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I saw the movie revival awhile ago, and I just didn't like how it was done. Veronica was moving on with her life and proving her potential. Going back to Logan at that juncture didn't feel like a finish to a great love story, but it was Veronica regressing. Don't get me wrong I loved Logan and Veronica in the tv show. I hated that she was with Piz at the end of season 3. I could get behind this show if they could show that she has matured beyond the high school version of her.

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/2/2018 at 11:58 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

I for one hope she finally comes to her senses and dumps his douchetastic ass.  Certain characters do not deserve redemption arcs, and there is nothing in his series behavior that suggests otherwise.  As I mentioned in another thread, the Navy storyline in the movie is pure fanwanking and laughable handwaving bullshit.

Could you please explain what Logan did that was so terrible that he doesn't deserve redemption? Bc the last time I recall him being a douche for douche's sake was s1 (and even then we get some background on why he behaved the way he did.)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/13/2018 at 11:10 PM, marshmallows said:

Could you please explain what Logan did that was so terrible that he doesn't deserve redemption? Bc the last time I recall him being a douche for douche's sake was s1 (and even then we get some background on why he behaved the way he did.)


Sleeping with Madison?  Attacking Piz out of jealousy? Both of those showed he really hadn't changed or grown much.  How about not being a better "friend" from the start?
 

Kudos to Jason Dohring and Kristen Bell for their ability to make me care about these characters.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/18/2018 at 7:54 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:


Sleeping with Madison?  Attacking Piz out of jealousy? Both of those showed he really hadn't changed or grown much.  How about not being a better "friend" from the start?
 

Kudos to Jason Dohring and Kristen Bell for their ability to make me care about these characters.

He slept with Madison when they were broken up. I still don't know why this is that big of a deal. Madison was a bitch, but she didn't roofie Veronica on purpose. Madison just thought she was giving her drink with spit in it (still awful, but not exactly evil either).

 

Okay Logan definitely didn't have to beat the shit out of Piz the way he did. But to be fair he did it because he thought Piz taped them having sex without her permission & then broadcasted it for the entire college to see, NOT because he was jealous.  If Piz had really done that, well then he would have deserved an ass whoopin bc nobody should tape someone without consent & then send it out for a bunch of people to view. I know Piz didn't do it and Logan probably should have approached it calmer, but Logan is more of an ass beating now & a talk later kind of guy. I don't think this means he hasn't changed at all, it just means he still has some growing to do. He is only 19 at this point. A lot of people don't grow up til they are 30.

 

The part I made bold- I'm not even exactly sure what this is suppose to mean...

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

If people judge my character now based on who I was as a teenager than I would be without a lot of people in my life. Logan didn't kill anyone, he's not a rapist, or child molester. Those are all no take-backs kind of things. I don't see anything that he did on the show that was irredeemable. Was definitely an assshole though. I wouldn't date him

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

The only character whose life we saw in detail in the movie was Veronica. Everyone else got the quick catch-up summary. That basically leaves them with a clean slate for the revival to create their present lives. Who they were ten years ago is not necessarily who they are today and we saw some of that at the reunion. Weevil, for example, seemed to have been on the straight and narrow with a wife and daughter. That would make him a very different person from who he was as a teenager. How much he has changed isn't something we know, but judging him now based on his actions as a teen would be silly. While the faces may be familiar, the characters won't be the same. Writing them off before the revival even airs does both the character and yourself a disservice.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/2/2018 at 8:58 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

I for one hope she finally comes to her senses and dumps his douchetastic ass.  Certain characters do not deserve redemption arcs, and there is nothing in his series behavior that suggests otherwise.  

He is trash. Not romantic at all. I so wish the dude who tortured the homeless, thought procuring date rape drugs was cool, and tormented a rape victim would take a long walk off a short pier. There was nothing cool about the show putting him and Veronica in a relationship, and I wish they would just stop. You would think in this day and age Hollywood would have learned something, but I doubt it. Besides, Thomas has always been about the fanservice to the loudest group of fans, so I know he won't let her permanently move on to someone who isn't a creep. I think I will skip it. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/26/2018 at 11:03 PM, marshmallows said:

He slept with Madison when they were broken up. I still don't know why this is that big of a deal. Madison was a bitch, but she didn't roofie Veronica on purpose. Madison just thought she was giving her drink with spit in it (still awful, but not exactly evil either).

Okay Logan definitely didn't have to beat the shit out of Piz the way he did. But to be fair he did it because he thought Piz taped them having sex without her permission & then broadcasted it for the entire college to see, NOT because he was jealous.  If Piz had really done that, well then he would have deserved an ass whoopin bc nobody should tape someone without consent & then send it out for a bunch of people to view. I know Piz didn't do it and Logan probably should have approached it calmer, but Logan is more of an ass beating now & a talk later kind of guy. I don't think this means he hasn't changed at all, it just means he still has some growing to do. He is only 19 at this point. A lot of people don't grow up til they are 30.

The part I made bold- I'm not even exactly sure what this is suppose to mean...

He was jealous, and used the tape as a convenient excuse.

The part you made bold was a simple reference to the fact that when her Dad lost the election and became a pariah, he (and others) shunned her like a disgraced Amish farmer.  Real friends stick by you.  Period. They shouldn't be embarrassed or consider it beneath themselves to hang out with you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 11/27/2018 at 5:13 PM, KAOS Agent said:

The only character whose life we saw in detail in the movie was Veronica. Everyone else got the quick catch-up summary. That basically leaves them with a clean slate for the revival to create their present lives. Who they were ten years ago is not necessarily who they are today and we saw some of that at the reunion. Weevil, for example, seemed to have been on the straight and narrow with a wife and daughter. That would make him a very different person from who he was as a teenager. How much he has changed isn't something we know, but judging him now based on his actions as a teen would be silly. While the faces may be familiar, the characters won't be the same. Writing them off before the revival even airs does both the character and yourself a disservice.

I used to think like that until I went to several of my class reunions.  For the vast majority of people in my class (and friends who went to different schools), high school never ends.  They may be married and have kids and be successful, but their personalities are rooted in their formative years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/7/2018 at 12:30 PM, Tachi Rocinante said:

He was jealous, and used the tape as a convenient excuse.

The part you made bold was a simple reference to the fact that when her Dad lost the election and became a pariah, he (and others) shunned her like a disgraced Amish farmer.  Real friends stick by you.  Period. They shouldn't be embarrassed or consider it beneath themselves to hang out with you.

I'm not saying that Logan wasn't put off by Veronica dating Piz. But he most definitely did not beat Piz up because of jealousy. Logan would have kicked who's ever ass it was that actually broadcasted the sex tape, which we see him do in the series finale. He also apologizes to Piz, because he knew he was wrong. He thought he was right in the heat of the moment, but he realized he made a mistake.

 

Logan's issues with Veronica went way past embarrassment of being seen with her. He was misplacing blame on Veronica for Lilly's death. He felt like if Veronica hadn't told Lilly about him making out with some girl at the party, he and Lilly would still be together and somehow this would have saved her from being murdered. This is misplaced blame bc I think it was too hard for him to blame himself.  But this was not about embarrassment, it was about misplaced blame and rage.  

When Logan starts dating Veronica, he has absolutely no issue of declaring that she is his girlfriend to basically the entire school. Then he goes on to tell his bestfriend, Dick, and anyone else if they didn't like it they could get out.  

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...