Type keyword(s) to search

Veronica Mars Revival

• Start Topic

While I did see the movie (I have it on DVD), I haven't seen any of the VM books. Though I don't have Hulu (I can only afford my HBO and Netflix), I do want to see the new ones when they come out on video later, but I'd really like to know if it's necessary to have read the books to watch the new ones without anything being spoiled. Without spoiling the new shows in the process, of course. Thanks in advance for any help with that.

5 hours ago, Mibbitmaker said:

While I did see the movie (I have it on DVD), I haven't seen any of the VM books. Though I don't have Hulu (I can only afford my HBO and Netflix), I do want to see the new ones when they come out on video later, but I'd really like to know if it's necessary to have read the books to watch the new ones without anything being spoiled. Without spoiling the new shows in the process, of course. Thanks in advance for any help with that.

No, you don't need to read the books. If you want to, they are good, but it's not necessary. 

7 hours ago, Mibbitmaker said:

No, you definitely don't need to read the books before watching S4. There is one plotline from the books that is mentioned during S4 but the characters make it clear what happened when they bring it up so it's not a confusing "Wait, what are you talking about?" situation for anyone who hasn't read the books.

The books really capture the feel of S1 so I recommend reading them to tide you over while you're waiting to watch S4! There are only two books and they're pretty short. I originally got the first book for free with a 30 day audible trial (bonus: you get to have Kristen Bell read it to you!). I downloaded it and then never got around to listening to it so I bought the physical books and brought them on vacation with me. I read both of them in one day.

• Love 1
On 7/22/2019 at 9:06 PM, Mibbitmaker said:

Hulu currently has a 30-day free trial:

https://www.hulu.com/welcome?&cmp=7957&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=BM Search BrandTerms&utm_term=free trial hulu&ds_rl=1251096&ds_rl=1251096&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6f77lf_O4wIVy7TtCh0qwwu0EAAYASABEgJCfPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I did the Hulu free trial a few years back, and they made it VERY easy to discontinue after I watched what I wanted.  And when I cut my cable last year, I went back to Hulu and it was equally easy to pick back up.  

Do it.  They know lots of people will be doing the free trial just to watch VM, and they won't try & hassle you to discontinue it. 

• Love 2
On 7/29/2019 at 9:43 AM, leighdear said:

I did the Hulu free trial a few years back, and they made it VERY easy to discontinue after I watched what I wanted.  And when I cut my cable last year, I went back to Hulu and it was equally easy to pick back up.  

Do it.  They know lots of people will be doing the free trial just to watch VM, and they won't try & hassle you to discontinue it. 

Marginally on topic regarding Hulu - for years we've had a pricey family cell phone family plan with Sprint, and I occasionally check to see if there's a better deal. Recently I found we could switch to a much cheaper plan that includes a basic Hulu subscription. Win win!

• Love 2
On 7/29/2019 at 9:43 AM, leighdear said:

I did the free trail years ago and like you said it was easy to discontinue. I eventually went to the no commercials plan a few years ago, but early this year Spotify Premium bundled the basic Hulu plan with their premium at the same price I was paying for premium anyway, so I went back down to the basic plan.

• Love 1

Watch the new promos for the new Nancy Drew show and see if you agree with me that they're at least trying to channel a little V. Mars. Of course Veronica Mars was a fully acknowledged pastiche of earlier Nancy Drew mixed with Noir, but now the Nancy Drew franchise is borrowing back in trade.