Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

The talk generating from the wedding attire and Derick's man-bun made me curious about the Duggar modesty.

The passage - "A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for The Lord your God detests anyone who does this." (Deuteronomy 22:5) - was included with the following:

Generally, Biblical clothing consisted of -

For Men -

The Inner Tunic - a long piece of plain cotton or linen cloth as an undergarment for the upper body, but sometimes reaching all the way down to the ankles. It was usually not worn when the weather was very warm.

The Tunic-coat, or Ketonet - a shirt-like garment worn over the inner tunic in cool weather, or next to the body without the inner tunic when warm. It usually had long sleeves and extended down to the ankles.

The Belt, or Girdle - made of leather, from 2 to 6 inches wide, sometimes with a shoulder strap when heavier articles were being carried from it.

The Cloke, or Mantle - a robe worn over all of the other items of clothing as an outer garment for warmth and appearance.

The Headdress - worn chiefly as a protection against the sun. The Hebrew version could, depending upon circumstances, be a cap, a turban, or a head scarf.

Shoes or Sandals - shoes were made from soft leather, sandals from harder leather.

For Women -

The Inner Tunic - a long garment reaching all the way down to the ankles. It was usually of a finer quality cotton, linen or silk.

The Outer Tunic - a full-length garment, again of finer quality than the men's version, and almost always enhanced with fine needlework and/or multicolor threads.

The Belt, or Girdle - made of colorful silk or wool, sometimes with a fringe from the waist nearly to the ankles.

The Cloke - warm and durable for protection against cool weather, and usually more intricate.

The Headdress - a lighter and finer quality than the men's version, and always more colorful. Women also usually had elaborate plaiting or other arrangement of their hair, which tended to be long.

Shoes or Sandals - shoes were made from soft leather, sandals from harder leather.

They appear very similar to me. In modern times one can usually determine if a person is male or female from behind. I'm not so sure that was true during biblical times.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

The talk generating from the wedding attire and Derick's man-bun made me curious about the Duggar modesty.

The passage - "A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for The Lord your God detests anyone who does this." (Deuteronomy 22:5) - was included with the following:

Generally, Biblical clothing consisted of -

For Men -

The Inner Tunic - a long piece of plain cotton or linen cloth as an undergarment for the upper body, but sometimes reaching all the way down to the ankles. It was usually not worn when the weather was very warm.

The Tunic-coat, or Ketonet - a shirt-like garment worn over the inner tunic in cool weather, or next to the body without the inner tunic when warm. It usually had long sleeves and extended down to the ankles.

The Belt, or Girdle - made of leather, from 2 to 6 inches wide, sometimes with a shoulder strap when heavier articles were being carried from it.

The Cloke, or Mantle - a robe worn over all of the other items of clothing as an outer garment for warmth and appearance.

The Headdress - worn chiefly as a protection against the sun. The Hebrew version could, depending upon circumstances, be a cap, a turban, or a head scarf.

For Women -

The Inner Tunic - a long garment reaching all the way down to the ankles. It was usually of a finer quality cotton, linen or silk.

The Outer Tunic - a full-length garment, again of finer quality than the men's version, and almost always enhanced with fine needlework and/or multicolor threads.

The Belt, or Girdle - made of colorful silk or wool, sometimes with a fringe from the waist nearly to the ankles.

The Cloke - warm and durable for protection against cool weather, and usually more intricate.

The Headdress - a lighter and finer quality than the men's version, and always more colorful. Women also usually had elaborate plaiting or other arrangement of their hair, which tended to be long.

They appear very similar to me. In modern times one can usually determine if a person is male or female from behind. I'm not so sure that was true during biblical times.

So, basically the only difference in actual clothing was that the robes/tunics for women were of finer material and had a bit more embellishment...

Now, I can see, if one was going to be really strict about it, that denim jeans for men are often very similar in structure and material to those made for women, but otherwise, for the most part, you could look at a pair of men's pants next to a pair of women's and know instantly which was which. If anything they are even more different than a man's tunic would have been from a woman's. 

There's absolutely no reason for feeling "convicted" in this matter, IMO, other than for your own sense of superiority.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 9

Or just have men wear men's pants made for men and women wear women's pants made for women.

I also don't get how it was ok for Jill to wear derrick's man shirts while she was pregnant.

To be such 'biblical scholars' they sure are ignorant of why they do what they do. 

If the pertainething is finished, and they're just going for modesty, then non tight pants are also more modest than painted on long skirts and tops.

• Love 7

I also noticed the Duggar woman do not wear athletic sneakers (aside from that one pic of Jinger maybe in pants). Not for casual wear, not for sports, not even the little girls wear sneakers. I guess athletic sneakers are considered manly and flip flops are feminine?

Although, in true Duggar style, Jill contradicted their beliefs and wore Converse sneaks in a manly khaki color. So Nike or New Balance in pink or aqua is too manly but khaki Converse are ok? My head hurts.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, lulu69 said:

I also noticed the Duggar woman do not wear athletic sneakers (aside from that one pic of Jinger maybe in pants). Not for casual wear, not for sports, not even the little girls wear sneakers. I guess athletic sneakers are considered manly and flip flops are feminine?

Although, in true Duggar style, Jill contradicted their beliefs and wore Converse sneaks in a manly khaki color. So Nike or New Balance in pink or aqua is too manly but khaki Converse are ok? My head hurts.

I think they just do t do anything athletic or active,  so why waste money on shoes?

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

I think they just do t do anything athletic or active,  so why waste money on shoes?

Sad, isn't it?  Think of all the running, skipping and playing those little girls could do in a pair of properly fitting sneakers

• Love 5
2 hours ago, lulu69 said:

Sad, isn't it?  Think of all the running, skipping and playing those little girls could do in a pair of properly fitting sneakers

I always made sure my 3 kids had quality, fitted sneakers.  Kids run and jump and play constantly and I wanted them to be comfortable.  We use to have my niece over often.  She never had good shoes.  Usually flip-flops or junky, poorly fitted dress shoes.  She could never keep up with my kids on hikes or even just walking around stores.

• Love 1

Proper shoes are so damn important! Unless you want your children to suffer later in life. And flip flops!! I just do not understand those. They will damage your feet ffs.

Their way of dressing is stupid, made up rules that do not make sense, that are abandoned at the drop of a hat when it suits.

I don't dress like a man, I don't dress in man's clothes. Try wearting even a simple Tshirt and you will see that their cut is entirely different. Where does it say "woman, thou shalt not wear trousers"???

• Love 7

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my feet seem to be fine even though I've really only ever worn shoes where I absolutely MUST and go barefoot otherwise. Having been a stay-at-home Mom, that pretty much meant that I only put on shoes to run to the store, when I had to do something with/for the kids that demanded I be "presentable", or for Navy functions I had to attend either with or without my husband. Otherwise I'm of a bit of a hippy/Bohemian bent.

I was never super-athletic, but I can still walk pretty much forever, and the only harm my feet ever seem to suffer is blisters when I have to encase them in sneakers which they are not used to, though I can hike for miles in a pair of floppy, well-broken-in sandals. And I'm almost 58, so if my feet were going to be significantly damaged, I think I'd have seen it by now. Or maybe it's just good Polish peasant stock...Probably a good thing I didn't take more after the aristocratic side of the family :)

• Love 11
9 hours ago, MunichNark said:

And flip flops!! I just do not understand those. They will damage your feet ffs.

Yes, but they ensure that your feet and toes will always be on full display should Bill Gothard or some other patriarchal male with no sexual interest in young girls or feet wanders by.

Priorities. The spiritual requirements of the Lord's kingdom are always the most important thing, doncha know?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Maybe I'm just lucky, but my feet seem to be fine even though I've really only ever worn shoes where I absolutely MUST and go barefoot otherwise. Having been a stay-at-home Mom, that pretty much meant that I only put on shoes to run to the store, when I had to do something with/for the kids that demanded I be "presentable", or for Navy functions I had to attend either with or without my husband. Otherwise I'm of a bit of a hippy/Bohemian bent.

I was never super-athletic, but I can still walk pretty much forever, and the only harm my feet ever seem to suffer is blisters when I have to encase them in sneakers which they are not used to, though I can hike for miles in a pair of floppy, well-broken-in sandals. And I'm almost 58, so if my feet were going to be significantly damaged, I think I'd have seen it by now. Or maybe it's just good Polish peasant stock...Probably a good thing I didn't take more after the aristocratic side of the family :)

I do that too and I have very healthy strong feet as well.

But barefoot is natural, while flip flops and bad cheap shoes are the worst of both worlds. They don't support the feet like good shoes do, but they also don't allow the feet to move naturally and adapt to the terrain the way going barefoot -- like all animals -- does. Leave it to the Duggars to choose the worst of three options. (or the worst of a hundred options, given the chance)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

I am barefoot most of the time too.  Most animals have the advantage of some hair growing between the toes that shield the toes and pads from some damage, or have harder skin on the pads, even hooves.  I still don't make my dogs walk a surfaces my bare feet won't go, like on a hot sidewalk. They seem to be able to tolerate bark better than my bare feet, but may try rocks, though not for long.  They get back on a better surface fast.  Sled dogs always have boots on.  Frostbite, you know.

• Love 3
On 11/14/2016 at 5:37 PM, lulu69 said:

Expect them to start buying New Balance, the official shoe of the white supremacists now.  Yes that's a thing.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Expect them to start buying New Balance, the official shoe of the white supremacists now.  Yes that's a thing.

I'd never heard that! I'll be on the lookout. And be thankful that the only athletic shoes that seem to fit my feet are Rykas. 

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'd never heard that! I'll be on the lookout. And be thankful that the only athletic shoes that seem to fit my feet are Rykas. 

Oh, I love Rykas.  It is weird the girls don't even wear the more feminine looking tennis shoes, like Keds. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

In support of New Balance, they didn't say or hint they are the white supremacist's shoe; the white supremicists said that after reading a press release where NB said something about how Trump's trade changes might not be all bad since NB is the only major athletic shoe company to make their shoes in the US.  NB's president, upon hearing the white supremicist's claim, quickly replied "Oh HELL no, we like everyone!" 

Sorry to bring politics here, even tangentally.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

It's not New Balance's fault. They just got falsely implicated because they manufacture a lot in the U.S. -- a good thing -- and that got falsely conflated with believing a bunch of other stuff, which I think it's pretty clear they don't. 

• Love 4

Most of new balance is made overseas now. Very little still here. I do think the white supremacy claims are like when the rumors went around jn the 80s that Liz Claiborne and Proctor and Gamble were satanists bc their logos had stars or something similar. False, but entertaining to people need to create controversy.

Anyway.......I think the girls loved flip flops when they were old enough to start paying attention clothing because flops were one of the few stylish things they were allowed to wear. Back on the prairie clothes days, flip flops screamed style, and most teens want to express some style. Plus at $1 a pair, Jim bob approved. 

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, Fosca said:

In support of New Balance, they didn't say or hint they are the white supremacist's shoe; the white supremicists said that after reading a press release where NB said something about how Trump's trade changes might not be all bad since NB is the only major athletic shoe company to make their shoes in the US.  NB's president, upon hearing the white supremicist's claim, quickly replied "Oh HELL no, we like everyone!" 

Sorry to bring politics here, even tangentally.

Thanks for the education. I didn't even know that was a "scandal."

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Miss Fabulous said:

I tend not to wear shoes inside unless I am about to go somewhere or it's winter.

I don't wear shoes inside even in the winter. Maybe some fuzzy socks if my feet feel chilly, but even that is rare. And I don't tend to put them on even outside just to go get the mail or something unless there is actually snow on the ground. Yeah, I probably have a slightly less hairy version of Hobbit feet, but I try not to subject anyone to them for the most part. It's hard for me to snark on people whose feet are not a priority, though. Feet in general are just sort of off my radar...

• Love 4

I've always noticed that Michelle and all of the female adults have extremely, obviously bleached teeth. Most likely, Jeremy had to get his teeth bleached, too, to become a teeeveee star.  His parents have natural teeth.  I was just reading on Consumer Guide to Dentistry that the average price for in-office whitening is $650. Since Jill and Jessa's husbands have no money of their own, I bet JB pays for this.

I just have to say that I feel annoyed at people who have too white of teeth.  Like they are movie stars, or something.

• Love 9
On 11/17/2016 at 7:24 AM, Churchhoney said:

It's not New Balance's fault. They just got falsely implicated because they manufacture a lot in the U.S. -- a good thing -- and that got falsely conflated with believing a bunch of other stuff, which I think it's pretty clear they don't. 

New Balance has also been lumped in with Koch brothers and other very very conservative run businesses, though IIRC the New Balance CEO is far quieter about it than, say, Chick Fil A or the Koch Bros. 

But yea, NB ended up in the crosshairs, and they keep tripping over their own feet trying to get out of it. 

We'll know for sure how it's going if Bin shows up wearing NB next season. 

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, louannems said:

I've always noticed that Michelle and all of the female adults have extremely, obviously bleached teeth. Most likely, Jeremy had to get his teeth bleached, too, to become a teeeveee star.  His parents have natural teeth.  I was just reading on Consumer Guide to Dentistry that the average price for in-office whitening is $650. Since Jill and Jessa's husbands have no money of their own, I bet JB pays for this.

I just have to say that I feel annoyed at people who have too white of teeth.  Like they are movie stars, or something.

It bugs me just as much in people who ARE actual movie stars! Teeth were never supposed to be blindingly white. It just looks wrong.

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

It bugs me just as much in people who ARE actual movie stars! Teeth were never supposed to be blindingly white. It just looks wrong.

The too-white teeth all have that weird lavender/blue tinge. It's completely unnatural looking.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, louannems said:

I find it puzzling to see people on TV who have obviously bleached their top teeth but not the bottom. Can't say I have noticed it with the Duggars but it is pretty common. Makes the bottom teeth look extra gross. 

2 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I find it puzzling to see people on TV who have obviously bleached their top teeth but not the bottom. Can't say I have noticed it with the Duggars but it is pretty common. Makes the bottom teeth look extra gross. 

Its probably bad veneers you're seeing. Many people get top veneers and dentists seem to like them big, bright and white. The dentist should bleach the whole mouth and then match the veneers to the brightened but natural color. Its a bit of an art that a lot of dentists don't do or clients don't want to pay for it, whatever. If your veneers match your natural color you just need to do an in-home whitening treatment on the bottom to keep them matching. I treat both my veneers and the bottom teeth sometimes because while treatment won't whiten veneers it will take off any staining.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Well, sorry, but part of the problem is the ridiculous concept that yellow teeth are "gross." So that to avoid being called "gross" and "disgusting" and "dirty," as Duggar kids' teeth have been called on this site, everybody gets some kind of white thing done.

A lot of people have yellow teeth by nature.  And, in fact, yellow teeth that you have by nature are often extraordinarily healthy. I happen to be lucky enough -- or so I once thought -- to have the yellow teeth by nature that run through part of my family. And like my relatives in that category, I've been cavity free my whole life with extremely strong roots and healthy gums.

Nobody's ever mentioned my yellow teeth disparagingly to my face. It wasn't until I was on this site that I learned that many people consider yellow teeth "gross" and "dirty" and "disgusting" and extend those adjectives to the people who have those yellow teeth. So I'm sure that I've been called those things frequently behind my back. Doesn't surprise me that people do whatever they can think of to avoid being called those things. Maybe the one-layer-of-tooth whiteners prefer holding on to a row of their healthy teeth instead of wrecking them.

• Love 10
21 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, sorry, but part of the problem is the ridiculous concept that yellow teeth are "gross." So that to avoid being called "gross" and "disgusting" and "dirty," as Duggar kids' teeth have been called on this site, everybody gets some kind of white thing done.

A lot of people have yellow teeth by nature.  And, in fact, yellow teeth that you have by nature are often extraordinarily healthy. I happen to be lucky enough -- or so I once thought -- to have the yellow teeth by nature that run through part of my family. And like my relatives in that category, I've been cavity free my whole life with extremely strong roots and healthy gums.

Nobody's ever mentioned my yellow teeth disparagingly to my face. It wasn't until I was on this site that I learned that many people consider yellow teeth "gross" and "dirty" and "disgusting" and extend those adjectives to the people who have those yellow teeth. So I'm sure that I've been called those things frequently behind my back. Doesn't surprise me that people do whatever they can think of to avoid being called those things. Maybe the one-layer-of-tooth whiteners prefer holding on to a row of their healthy teeth instead of wrecking them.

Too bad that doesn't extend to them doing anything about their hair...I think that has been called by many more uncomplimentary names than their teeth ever were...and so much easier of a fix, too, than whitening treatments. Not to mention that a trim is actually good for hair. I'd add their skin into that category, though that may not be such an easy fix if it's truly just genetic in their case. 

Not sure whether to take the teeth conversation to the prayer closet or just drop it...I have a bit of a teeth fixation, with a particular fetish for crooky little overlaps and such which you hardly ever see anymore, but though I can obsess about such things forever, I realize that most people won't care to read it.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Wow. 

I have yellowish teeth myself. If I bleached my top ones, the bottom ones would, in my opinion, look weird and bad in comparison. 

My original point was actually that it looks weird when top and bottom teeth don't match. Perhaps "gross" was the wrong word. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

Wow. 

I have yellowish teeth myself. If I bleached my top ones, the bottom ones would, in my opinion, look weird and bad in comparison. 

My original point was actually that it looks weird when top and bottom teeth don't match. Perhaps "gross" was the wrong word. 

Yeah, I'd say "gross" was the wrong word. "Weird in comparison" and "gross" aren't remotely the same thing, are they? I guess you haven't heard the discussions of this before? Where everybody's piled onto the Duggars' teeth and the Duggars altogether and called not just their teeth but them "gross" "dirty" "disgusting" and other extremely negative adjectives because their teeth are yellow? I'm tired of hearing that. Hence, the explosion. I never gave my yellow teeth a negative thought in my life until I came to this board and heard the dripping disgust for people because their teeth are yellow, and clearly hearing that still sets me off. Anyway, sorry I ranted. I'll avoid all tooth discussions from now on.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I never gave my yellow teeth a negative thought in my life until I came to this board and heard the dripping disgust for people because their teeth are yellow, and clearly hearing that still sets me off. Anyway, sorry I ranted. I'll avoid all tooth discussions from now on.

It's funny the things we are sensitive about. I am kinda round shouldered even tho I workout 4 days a week and try to remember to stand straight (it's a trait of all the females on my side). But every time someone mentions Jill or some of the other Duggar girls slumping in pictures, I cringe and sometimes even feel bad for a long time. It's all about me...haha.  ?

• Love 9
30 minutes ago, Love2dance said:

It's funny the things we are sensitive about. I am kinda round shouldered even tho I workout 4 days a week and try to remember to stand straight (it's a trait of all the females on my side). But every time someone mentions Jill or some of the other Duggar girls slumping in pictures, I cringe and sometimes even feel bad for a long time. It's all about me...haha.  ?

And I'm sensitive to folks talking about other people's traumas. Even if made public. We all have our things.

• Love 5

Also not fond of the blindingly white look. Especially on older folks, who, you would reason, are going to show some wear and tear (which is fine after 60, 70, 80+ years). One reason Regis Philbin always bothered me (though I think his teeth were actually dentures). Totally out of line with the rest of his appearance.

• Love 3

I have naturally yellow teeth.  They've served me well.  Never tried to whiten them.  I never realized that it's noticeable and people I know might be commenting on it when I leave the room.  I guess I've been living in a fool's paradise. :-) 

• Love 9
3 hours ago, LilJen said:

Also not fond of the blindingly white look. Especially on older folks, who, you would reason, are going to show some wear and tear (which is fine after 60, 70, 80+ years). One reason Regis Philbin always bothered me (though I think his teeth were actually dentures). Totally out of line with the rest of his appearance.

My dad (age 85) just got full dentures after having his last three teeth removed...It's so weird, because he has always had this tooth/mouth/jaw structure where you  really couldn't see his top teeth at all, even when he smiled, and only saw parts of his bottom teeth when he talked. Now his teeth are all so much taller ...you can see them when he talks, and they just seem to be in his way...He had a stroke a couple of years ago, and his speech has gotten even more difficult to understand now. They can still do some minor adjustment, but I think the dentures are probably just going to be a bit strange to/on him pretty much forever at this point...

Sorry, a bit off topic, just on my mind here and there.

• Love 2

I wonder if Jana & Hannie have stocked up on Stouffer's turkey dinners for Thanksgiving.  (Since Joy is courting now, she is relieved of all duties or is that when they are engaged?) 

I'm only joking (well mostly) but this got me thinking of what they really prepare & who prepares it on Thanksgiving? We got to see that the girls lack the know-how of preparing a turkey dinner from the Fall Feast episode, the one they had to look up a recipe on line for real mashed potatoes. Who has been leading this group on cooking?  I doubt MEchelle unless they caught her on a good day.  Was Grandma in charge & took over assigning duties?   Like we have said before, it's not that difficult to get a turkey dinner together especially in their kitchen(s). 

Why aren't these girls being taught to cook? Isn't that one of the great tenets in favor of homeschooling for the Gothard crowd, that the girls are preparing to be wives, mothers, and Proverb 31 women? The Duggars have totally missed the boat on this one. They might as well be unschooling for all the actual learning that goes on in their home.

• Love 7
29 minutes ago, Nysha said:

Why aren't these girls being taught to cook? Isn't that one of the great tenets in favor of homeschooling for the Gothard crowd, that the girls are preparing to be wives, mothers, and Proverb 31 women? The Duggars have totally missed the boat on this one. They might as well be unschooling for all the actual learning that goes on in their home.

This is the biggest mystery of all. They can't cook, plan meals or follow instructions on the backs of boxes. The two who have babies don't seem to have much of a clue what to do with them, either. Their homes are messy. When it boils down, they are banking on the 'court for 5 minutes then marry', and it's pretty much working. The spouses don't care as long as they're  getting laid. 

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 8

I think the Duggar philosophy on food has always been to cook stuff that is fast, cheap and convenient. Even though real mashed potatoes are something most of us could whip up in our sleep, the Duggar girls have spent their lives dumping the contents of boxes and cans into boiling water and calling it a day. Since their grocery bills were enormous, there probably wasn't much leeway to experiment with different recipes. It kind of defeats the purpose of installing a commercial kitchen, but when has this family ever been big on common sense?

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Considering Jinger was amazed by Baaaabe's ability to make a cup of coffee, and Joy was dumbfounded by the instruction to measure oil prior to honey, it's a wonder they "cook" anything.

Don't forget Jill needing to call in Jana for backup to make instant rice from a box, and both still being confused.

Or Anna, who had no clue of the concept of meal planning or squash. 

was it a Bates who had never eaten broccoli?

• Love 4