Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

23 hours ago, Platypus said:

You're not nuts and you're not the only one.  You see things other people can't see because of what you've been through.  

You're definitely not alone. I can't quit this forum but I have not watched the show since Joshgate and never will.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Love2dance said:

Maybe he wet his pants and that's all they had to quickly change him into. He looks the right age for that.

If that was the case & it probably was, I hate to think what his punishment was.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Mullet once explained the matchy matchy clothes so they could identify the kids if they got separated from the group.

I watched the specials when they originally aired, and I remember her saying that. I have boy/girl twins, and when we first started going to the park or other activities, it was so stressful to keep track of them as they went in opposite directions. Then I remembered this little nugget from Michelle. Now I dress them in matching bright colored shirts for the park so I don't have to remember what the other one is wearing.* We're a little down on the Duggars and their influence, but at least Michelle taught me how not to lose my kids ;)

*if I am brain dead with two, I can only imagine how brain dead Michelle, or maybe more fitting the sister moms, is/are.

ETA: one of them will say something cute, and when I go to tell my husband, I frequently can't  remember exactly what was said or who said it. And I have two, just two.

Edited by Marshmallow Mollie
Forgot an important word
  • Love 6
3 hours ago, Love2dance said:

Oh dear, I didn't even think of that possibility. ?

Or, the fearful punishment that awaited the sister mom assigned to the tot for letting him wet or soil his drawers! (It's probably the more likely scenario). But, if they were still doing/advocating blanket training...nothing surprises me with these asshole parents!

Can't find the post to reply to, so i'll just bring my response over here. Re: the documentary on Gothardism and a participant saying it messes up the children's sense of boundaries due to the isolation.

I am one of five kids, and #5 has some social issues. Socially stunted, I would say. She can't maintain friendships, much less close friendships.  Roommates in college were a disaster. She has never seriously dated and is in her mid 20s.

I find birth order fascinating and happened to read that it is common for the youngest children in big families to have difficulty with relationships because siblings will tolerate way more than a friend, spouse, co-worker, etc, will. Plus the younger ones tend to be babied.  My sister is the opposite of the Duggars in that it's her way or the highway, so I can't provide a relevant example. 

Cut to the Howler Monkeys, Lost Girls, and, of course, Josie. Add in the M kids being raised essentially as siblings of them. There are all these kids with behaviors not being checked by supervising adults. Because they are isolated from friends and even schoolmates, they're not being checked by their peers, either. 

Walk around with dirty feet, who cares? Eat your boogers. Rough house with the nearest boy (as long as you are a boy of course). Sit on the table. Go another day without a shower. 

They have no compass for what is normal or socially acceptable.

• Love 12
(edited)
  1. Tomorrow's Washington Post Magazine has a cover story about homeschooling and people that are trying to fix it.  It's not on the paper's website yet but it should be tomorrow [March 5, 2017].  I read it now because I get the Sunday supplement stuff a day early.
  2. Here's the link to it:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/these-activists-want-greater-home-school-monitoring-parent-groups-say-no-way/2017/03/01/b6d23c6e-e747-11e6-bf6f-301b6b443624_story.html?utm_term=.2a899862d70e

I hope it works.

Edited by EAG46
posting the link
  • Love 4

Lest we forget. Just came across an article on the Wisdumb booklets' "teachings" on sexuality. The word "insane" comes to mind.

https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2015/05/24/atis-sex-ed-curriculum-silencing-victims-and-excusing-sex-crime/

" in typical Gothard fashion, the WB claimed that envisioning an act three times had the same effect on your body and soul as doing the action. Not only can imaginative lusting equal fornication, but the WB claims that lusting can actually make you a violent criminal. “As a result [of lusting], the glands and other bodily functions are activated, and the level of testosterone increases. Recent studies revealed a significant correlation between high testosterone levels and those who commit violent crimes.”...

"This teaching really messed me up. I assumed I was no better than a sex criminal because I had sexual thoughts. If I wanted to be with a girl, I was no better than a violent rapist. Sexual thoughts are natural for pubescent teens, and making them feel their life and soul are in literal danger by even thinking these thoughts fucks you up. How is it productive sex education to tell young people that they might as well commit the act if they are going to think about it three times?"

"And just to make sure you are grasping the slippery slope put forth by the text – thinking about immorality three times is just as bad as doing it. Immorality is entirely defined by scripture verses and does not address things like consent or marital rape. The Wisdom Booklet’s “History Resource” profiled Hilter, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Karl Marx, and Nietzsche. You guessed it, each one of these people were characterized by how their immorality led them astray or ended up with genocide. Next in history, we learned about how immorality led to the collapse of the Maya, Incas, Ancient Greece, and the Roman Empire. In the Math section, we learned how to “visualize the consequences of lust” with visual graphs.

"The “Science Resource” chapter further emphasized the role of women as active “trappers.” The chapter is entirely on different kinds of traps used animal trappers and it begins with “How Do Trappers Illustrate the Enticements Which Satan Uses to Appeal to our Lusts?” This language is borrowed directly from Proverbs 7, which says the seductress “perfumed [her] bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.” Throughout this volume, men are the presumed focus of the lust and women are the dangerous seducing forces that can lead to the collapse of civilizations."

• Love 8
10 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Lest we forget. Just came across an article on the Wisdumb booklets' "teachings" on sexuality. The word "insane" comes to mind.

https://homeschoolersanonymous.org/2015/05/24/atis-sex-ed-curriculum-silencing-victims-and-excusing-sex-crime/

" in typical Gothard fashion, the WB claimed that envisioning an act three times had the same effect on your body and soul as doing the action. Not only can imaginative lusting equal fornication, but the WB claims that lusting can actually make you a violent criminal. “As a result [of lusting], the glands and other bodily functions are activated, and the level of testosterone increases. Recent studies revealed a significant correlation between high testosterone levels and those who commit violent crimes.”...

"This teaching really messed me up. I assumed I was no better than a sex criminal because I had sexual thoughts. If I wanted to be with a girl, I was no better than a violent rapist. Sexual thoughts are natural for pubescent teens, and making them feel their life and soul are in literal danger by even thinking these thoughts fucks you up. How is it productive sex education to tell young people that they might as well commit the act if they are going to think about it three times?"

"And just to make sure you are grasping the slippery slope put forth by the text – thinking about immorality three times is just as bad as doing it. Immorality is entirely defined by scripture verses and does not address things like consent or marital rape. The Wisdom Booklet’s “History Resource” profiled Hilter, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Karl Marx, and Nietzsche. You guessed it, each one of these people were characterized by how their immorality led them astray or ended up with genocide. Next in history, we learned about how immorality led to the collapse of the Maya, Incas, Ancient Greece, and the Roman Empire. In the Math section, we learned how to “visualize the consequences of lust” with visual graphs.

"The “Science Resource” chapter further emphasized the role of women as active “trappers.” The chapter is entirely on different kinds of traps used animal trappers and it begins with “How Do Trappers Illustrate the Enticements Which Satan Uses to Appeal to our Lusts?” This language is borrowed directly from Proverbs 7, which says the seductress “perfumed [her] bed with myrrh, aloes, and cinnamon.” Throughout this volume, men are the presumed focus of the lust and women are the dangerous seducing forces that can lead to the collapse of civilizations."

Who the fuck do they think their fooling? The number of people who never have sexual thoughts are few and far between. And if you're a Duggar it's part of the fabric of their being because their parents are inappropriate assholes flaunting and talking about sex all the time.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Who the fuck do they think their fooling? The number of people who never have sexual thoughts are few and far between. And if you're a Duggar it's part of the fabric of their being because their parents are inappropriate assholes flaunting and talking about sex all the time.

Exactly. I can't even get my mind around the motivations of the people who wrote that. Did they somehow think that by believing this and teaching it to others they'd manage to gain control of feelings of their own that they were terrified of? Were they just getting off on the joy of controlling other people and making them feel like hyper-confused crap? Or what? It's truly nuts. And talk about mixed messages for the poor beleaguered Duggar kids. 

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Exactly. I can't even get my mind around the motivations of the people who wrote that. Did they somehow think that by believing this and teaching it to others they'd manage to gain control of feelings of their own that they were terrified of? Were they just getting off on the joy of controlling other people and making them feel like hyper-confused crap? Or what? It's truly nuts. And talk about mixed messages for the poor beleaguered Duggar kids. 

It's another effed up way to have control in making them believe they live sin everyday, in one way or another, so they must keep following Gothard to save their souls.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 2

Oh my, all those poor children being raised with that way of thinking & worse, the parents (who were raised normally) go along with it.  No wonder the kidults think they have no self control  & have to follow those stupid  courting rules.

• Love 3

The "thinking about it 3 times is equal to doing it" is what makes them believe that what Josh did to the girls is equal to one of the J'boys getting caught masturbating, plus, the whole "trapper" mentality puts the blame on the girls for enticing him.

On the other hand, while I think the Duggar children believe the nonsense they've been taught, JimBob and Michelle KNOW it's bull spit. They just hide behind Gothard because he allows them to escape the responsibility for not protecting their daughters, their friends' daughters, their daughter-in-law, their granddaughters, and anyone else that Josh has or may victimize.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

"How Jim Bob punishes children who masturbate

"And here’s a secondhand story about more of that good, old-fashioned Duggar discipline:

"My cousins husband used to work at the Duggar production as well. He has many, many, stories about this family, but one that particularly strikes me as terrible is when one of the older Duggar Boys was caught playing with himself. He said that one of his brothers had told on him for being in the bathroom for a few hours one night, worried that he was sick. Well to see if he really was, Jim Bob walked in. He caught him doing it, and on one of the day’s the cameras were filming. Jim bobs screams made the crew run to where they were filming. Immediately they asked him what was wrong. All Jim Could reply was 'idle hands are the devils playthings.' Apparently, the whole next day he was supposed to do chores around the house. But, Jim Bob had tied his hands together so that doing anything was nearly impossible. ..."

http://defamer.gawker.com/jim-bobs-punishment-for-masturbators-crazy-duggar-tale-1707675683

0 0 1 Josh and Jim Bob.jpg

• Love 1
17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Yep.  Their lives have been all about boning for blessings and being on perpetual watch for pregnancy/crowning.  How can the kids NOT have thought about sex a lot?  Not even counting the public dry humping, yelling Nike, talking about urges not able to be righteously fulfilled etc.  These people are obsessed I tell ya!

• Love 7
49 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

Yep.  Their lives have been all about boning for blessings and being on perpetual watch for pregnancy/crowning.  How can the kids NOT have thought about sex a lot?  Not even counting the public dry humping, yelling Nike, talking about urges not able to be righteously fulfilled etc.  These people are obsessed I tell ya!

They're nucking futs!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Mollie said:

Apparently, the whole next day he was supposed to do chores around the house. But, Jim Bob had tied his hands together so that doing anything was nearly impossible. ..."

Of course Jim Bob keeps on humping Michelle day and night whenever he has the urge, even on a miniature golf course.    It would be great if she would admit to having the urge to tie his hands (and whatever else) together to keep him from touching her.  I know, I know, but I wish one day she would go off on him. 

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Too bad you're not in Danger America so Jill could check your vitals with her medical things.

She probably borrowed Izzy's Playskool medical bag. Does anyone else think that it's suspect that Jill carries her "medical things" with her? And what would she have a stethoscope, a Doppler and a measuring tape? Maybe a blood pressure cuff?

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

She probably borrowed Izzy's Playskool medical bag. Does anyone else think that it's suspect that Jill carries her "medical things" with her? And what would she have a stethoscope, a Doppler and a measuring tape? Maybe a blood pressure cuff?

No.  She just had "things."  She can't remember the proper medical names because her brain is mush.

0 0 1 Jill.jpg

• Love 8
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I doubt if Jill could pass the Brownie first aid patch requirements. She seriously does think she's some kind of medical professional though. Dumb Ass.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I made a similar post in their thread.  I laughed at  the thought she may have used Izzy's toys.  Do you think they were age appropriate for her?

11 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

Well, I have "medical things" in my office for medical emergencies. I have a band-aid. So, please refer to me as "Dr. Westiepeach" from now on. Thank you. 

I had a well stocked drawer of emergency things when I worked including dental floss which was a hot item. Just call me  Dentist Barb :  )

• Love 4

Among everything else, it must burn actual medical professionals up and down to watch Jill prance around calling herself a midwife or whatever the hell she thinks she is with zero formal education and training and an utter contempt for science.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Aja said:

Among everything else, it must burn actual medical professionals up and down to watch Jill prance around calling herself a midwife or whatever the hell she thinks she is with zero formal education and training and an utter contempt for science.

Science? They don't need no steenkimg science!

• Love 1

I do give Jill points for pursuing some sort of vocation even if she didn't meet the goal in the end.

In a family of lemmings, her medical knowledge, such as it is, still trumps everyone else in the house. She found a way to stand out. And I bet she stood out as she used her medical things - I bet it was quite the production! 'Look at me, I am special!'

Edited by Marshmallow Mollie
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Kokapetl said:

17435910_1184774928287981_50919450119299

Look who's ballooned. 

He sure has. This looks to be very recent; Kendra is there, and Jessa's stroller looks like a double. Jeremy doesn't look happy and who is standing next to an older J-boy, behind Michelle's sister? Are they with Michelle's relatives?

Is that Tabby between Jana & the mystery family?  Mystery family mom (next to Josh) looks familiar, like she has been on show before.  Could she be the Taco 4Life gal? Spurge looks like he's had it too.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Spurge looks like he's had it too.

Why would they drag a one-year-old and a one-month-old, nursing baby all the way to Kentucky to see this particular attraction?  They are far too young for this.  Has Jessa completely lost her mind (as well as her girlish figure, so it seems)?  Was this some kind of TLC required trip?   The Seewalds have lost their priorities.  Yes, totally.

• Love 4
Just now, Barb23 said:

Can you imagine all the Littles (& not so little) running loose in that place?  

Ugh! I would have lost my breakfast thinking of that.

Who is the portly gent standing next to Jessa's stroller?

Then, there's vile Smuggar hiding behind Marcus. Looks like Josh has been drowning his sorrow in chickenetti, TTC, and Chick-fil-a.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mollie said:

Why would they drag a one-year-old and a one-month-old, nursing baby all the way to Kentucky to see this particular attraction?  They are far too young for this.  Has Jessa completely lost her mind (as well as her girlish figure, so it seems)?  Was this some kind of TLC required trip?   The Seewalds have lost their priorities.  Yes, totally.

I'll give Jessa a pass on this one, I dragged my kids every where I went. I'm thinking Henry had a better time than Spurge did.

• Love 4

Glad to see Jeremy is still taking his ministry job ultra-seriously, always being there for his congregation. 

Seriously, hasn't he been on vacation -- away from Texas -- about a third of the time, since we first became acquainted with him? That's not the life I've seen from any clergy of my acquaintance. Particularly beginner clergy, who don't even have training and education to bring to the table. And presumably he's working at a church in a somewhat downtrodden neighborhood where there's probably actual assistance and support needed, if you cared to look around you. I don't get it. Or maybe I do. 

Also -- seeing all the Duggar women in their Gothard-compliant flipflops makes me want to stomp on their toes and yell Stupid Stupid Stupid! 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13
10 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

17435910_1184774928287981_50919450119299

Look who's ballooned. 

Well, that picture certainly explains Anna's new pregnancy:  Marcus is outgrowing his position and Josh needs a new head ornament.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Ripley68 said:

The Ark is not cheap.  I think tickets are like $75 for adults!  They had to have filmed or something, no way JimBoob would pay that much.

i had talked to my daughter in law just this week about road tripping to the ark, this summer, along with a few othe destinations. yeah, just looked at the prices after ripley68's comment above, and nope, not gonna make it. adults are $60!!!!!!!   kids are $28....that means it would cost us over $300 to walk in the door. yep, not happening. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ripley68 said:

The Ark is not cheap.  I think tickets are like $75 for adults!  They had to have filmed or something, no way JimBoob would pay that much.

No, they weren't filming. I bet Ham comps the Duggars. 

• Love 4