Type keyword(s) to search

Thomas Ravenel (& whomever else he draws into his dysfunction)

• Start Topic

Yeah, you might be right.  She always acted like he paid nothing or very little.  With his income, I can't imagine that is true.  Just hard to say.  What I think would be interesting, is if he would voluntarily offer K full child support, based on her having the children all except every other weekend, but, have a different ACTUAL schedule where they aren't with her that much.  That way, it takes the money out of the equation. 

• Love 1

IIRC, at one point he was doing his best to only have to pay the minimum in SC ($2500/month?).  I doubt that's changed much, if at all, especially with good ole boy judges on his side.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, OnceSane said:

IIRC, at one point he was doing his best to only have to pay the minimum in SC ($2500/month?).  I doubt that's changed much, if at all, especially with good ole boy judges on his side.

He actually offered her more but she refused to let him see the kids and so he reverted to an amount that was slightly more than the state minimum and started the whole custody battle initially that got her kids taken away from her.  

• Love 1
(edited)

It’s not surprising if true. Though the way the thing is written is dumb, it isn’t on him to take a plea deal so it’s the prosecution that is trying to extend the case not the defense. In some ways the fact thathe got charged on anything is surprising. He has only been charged with the assault against the nanny and it’s a tough one to prosecute because there were no witnesses, she continued to work for him after the incident and didn’t come forward until three years after it happened. I am not saying it didn’t happen but this would be a very hard case to prove and time and time again prosecutors don’t attempt to take those cases.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 7/18/2019 at 9:58 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Makes me wonder if he really was so stingy with Kathryn's child support. 

It depends on which perspective you have. Kathryn can never have enough money to satisfy her spending habit, and is OK with using the kids to get it. 

• Love 1

No one knows the amount of money with what Katherine is comfortable. Ole Thom knew the score very well. He’s been around the block after block many a time for MANY YEARS. He needs to cease using the children in order to stick it to Katherine. Grow-the- _ _ _ _ - up, Gramps.

• Love 3
Just now, BookElitist said:

No one knows the amount of money with what Katherine is comfortable. Ole Thom knew the score very well. He’s been around the block after block many a time for MANY YEARS. He needs to cease using the children in order to stick it to Katherine. Grow-the- _ _ _ _ - up, Gramps.

It seems they both are using the children to stick it to one another.

• Love 7

I would not put it past Bravo to bring Thomas back for next season.

And those other cast mates will put up with it, appearing with him in scenes and the fake events for the show.

Because they're not giving up their Bravo money either.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I already posted this in the other thread but how does a PREVIOUSLY CONVICTED FELON get off with only a nickel fine and probation??? 

Connections. Absolutely disgusting.

It’s also was a very, very difficult case to prove: he said/she said, she continued to work for him after the incident, she didn’t report it until two years later, etc. It’s sort of shocking he was even charged given his influence.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
19 minutes ago, msblossom said:

He plead guilty only to assault and battery, they must have offered him a plea deal because the original charge was rape. 

Thank you for that info.

I had assumed he took a plea deal, just based on the fact that he actually admitted the facts of the case and there was an outrageously lenient sentence.

Don’t mind me. I’m just gonna sit here in the corner and stay mad for the rest of my natural life.

😡😖🤬

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Babyfoot said:

People, yes that bastion of journalistic integrity, actually offered pretty good perspective here:

https://people.com/tv/thomas-ravenel-guilty-plea-affect-custody-civil-suit/

It’s still a love tap on the wrist. 

At the end of the day, he’s a rich, white male in the South who comes from a powerful family. The more things change the more they stay the same. I’m sure the next time he assaults and rapes someone he’ll have to pay a couple grand and maybe miss the local cotillion. But I’m sure this won’t interfere with his next campaign to run for emperor of Mars or whatever hair-brain, vanity project he can drunkenly throw his inheritance at. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
2 hours ago, Stan39 said:

At the end of the day, he’s a rich, white male in the South who comes from a powerful family. The more things change the more they stay the same. I’m sure the next time he assaults and rapes someone he’ll have to pay a couple grand and maybe miss the local cotillion. But I’m sure this won’t interfere with his next campaign to run for emperor of Mars or whatever hair-brain, vanity project he can drunkenly throw his inheritance at. 

Very well stated. I'm just glad I don't have to see his ugly presence on this show in the future. 

• Love 3
On 9/11/2019 at 6:01 PM, biakbiak said:

It’s also was a very, very difficult case to prove: he said/she said, she continued to work for him after the incident, she didn’t report it until two years later, etc. It’s sort of shocking he was even charged given his influence.

Exactly. If she had called police right after it happened, not appearing on TV and staying in his employ, he’d be in prison. It comes across as though she was hoping for some screen time in exchange for her story. Don’t lay all the blame completely on Thomas for his low fine amount and no jail time. 

And before you assume I’m defending Thomas, I’m not. I’m just pointing out how the law works. For everyone, not just a white man in the South.

• Love 3
On 9/12/2019 at 9:33 PM, goofygirl said:

I can't believe that he gave up all the adoration for something that cost him $500.00!

Hell, he spends that when he farts! What's his long game??

His long game is he’s sure it won’t have any appreciable impact on his life — and most people won’t care.

He’s rich, he has a name that means something in Charleston, and he can explain away the plea deal as just something to avoid the time and expense of mounting a legal defense. He can also point to the slap on the wrist as proof that, “See? They dropped the rape charge, it wasn’t anything that bad; I only had to pay a $500 fine and go on probation.”

• Love 1

I wonder though, can he shrug it off so easily inside himself and with his family?

I started watching season 1 the other day, just out of curiosity to see how much they’ve all changed. When Kathryn had her first pregnancy scare, Thomas was really worried and said “ugh, the scandal” with his head in his hands. Earlier in the episode he talked (to JD I think) about all the embarrassment, scandal, and stress of his cocaine conviction and imprisonment. Back then he seemed cognizant of how awful it all was. Does he feel the same shame now or just drink his feelings away?

• Love 6

Gross.  Maybe a month or so ago he posted on twitter that he’d NEVER come back for ANY amount of money.  Hah.  I’ll go see if I can find it but I bet he deleted it if this is true. 

Yep, it’s gone.  He actually deleted like a month’s worth of tweets.  He’s such a weirdo.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I've been rewatching season 5 - the Ashley season - and this time around, I actually feel a bit sorry for her.  It's crystal clear that Thomas was triangulating her with Kathryn, probably telling her all sorts of horrible things about Kathryn and how mean and evil she was and how she wouldn't leave him alone, just to play on Ashley's jealousy and get her to fight Kathryn for him and therefore feed his ego.  I was in a relationship like this years ago, and it took me quite a long time once I was out of it to realize what he'd been doing and that the girl he was triangulating me with was actually a really nice person who was probably glad to be rid of him.  I was so ashamed of all the bad things I'd thought and said about her, simply because I'd believed what he was feeding me.  I would imagine that one some level, Ashley realizes this now.  Not to say that Kathryn's perfect, because she isn't, but she certainly wasn't deserving of Ashley's vitriol, and I'm sure that somewhere deep inside - not that she would ever admit it - Ashley feels bad about it and recognizes that she was played by Thomas.  So the part of me that recognizes myself in her relationship feels sad for her.  That relationship sucked the very lifeblood out of me and turned me into someone I never knew I could be.  I actually kind of feel lucky to have survived it.

Edited by mandymax
  • Love 6

If this is true, they’re both old enough to know how to avoid pregnancy. When are people, rich or poor, educated or not, going to stop creating children they are in no way prepared to raise in the best way for the child?!?!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Gam2 said:

If this is true, they’re both old enough to know how to avoid pregnancy. When are people, rich or poor, educated or not, going to stop creating children they are in no way prepared to raise in the best way for the child?!?!

When the RoundUp usage has managed to sterilize the lot of us.  <only partly kidding>

• LOL 1
On 2/24/2020 at 9:09 AM, mandymax said:

That relationship sucked the very lifeblood out of me and turned me into someone I never knew I could be.  I actually kind of feel lucky to have survived it.

I was in a somewhat similar situation. Except the other girl never figured out that she would have been better off moving on. She got her wish and had a child with him. It messed me up for a long time. I finally saw the light and now I think of the saying she won the battle, but I won the war. Especially now that we're on stay at home and they're literally stuck together with a three-year old.

I'm not so forgiving of Ashley though. She's whacked beyond all reason. I actually think that's who she is irrespective of Thomas.

• Love 6
On 4/11/2020 at 4:14 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Having a mother in an assisted living facility now, I can attest to what she's speaking of.  Mom is very fragile.  The isolation is literally killing her.  I hear it in her voice.

This is the most like a human being Ashley has ever sounded to me.

ashley-jacobs-on-nursing-home-residents-coping-amid-coronavirus

That's heartbreaking. So sorry you're going through this, but your poor mom. When this whole isolation thing started happening my first and only concerns were elderly in nursing homes not getting visitors and, animal rescue/shelters having to stay closed to adoptions.

Hope you get to be with your mom soon.

• Love 3
40 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

That's heartbreaking. So sorry you're going through this, but your poor mom. When this whole isolation thing started happening my first and only concerns were elderly in nursing homes not getting visitors and, animal rescue/shelters having to stay closed to adoptions.

Hope you get to be with your mom soon.

Thanks very much.  Sunday is going to be a very difficult day.

• Love 1
(edited)

Just curious, does anyone find Thomas good looking? I don't. He's very unattractive. Homely is the word that comes to my mind when describing him. And that's being kind!

Maybe those women on Southern Charm are just interested in marrying into a legendary family with money? I don't get it. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Just curious, does anyone find Thomas good looking? I don't. He's very unattractive. Homely is the word that comes to my mind when describing him. And that's being kind!

Maybe those women on Southern Charm are just interested in marrying into a legendary family with money? I don't get it. 

I’ll admit it: I kinda fell for him after several episodes into S1 and through S3;  I just found his goofy old Southern fella vibes oddly lovable and thought he was a hoot when he was stupid drunk; plus, the dude had a damned good body/build to be a 50-year-old partier.

Coming from upscale Southern stock myself, I could see how he was once just vaguely handsome and charming *enough* to have the local ladies all after him; probably helped that he was filthy rich old money with no kids/ex-wives(aka baggage); Hell, I like charming older guys and once would’ve gone for a shady guy like him too if I were as hungry of a young hottie like Kathryn, although she really bet too much too soon and lost her youth thanks to his false promises, unfortunately.
As soon as his real self came out and we’ve all since learned that he’s a scary raging rapist though, yeah, I find him beyond repulsive. I admittedly miss him on the show because he pretty much made it far more interesting, but I understand why he got axed. His name is pretty much mud around Charleston these days, as if it wasn’t already sullied enough when he started on the show...

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I’m with you — I don’t get it at all.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Sun-Bun said:

I’ll admit it: I kinda fell for him after several episodes into S1 and through S3;  

I did too.  I can't remember how many seasons it lasted but he seemed charming and genteel.  @Sun-Bun maybe we were brainwashed by our Southern upbringings!  (Although mine was not upscale)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, TexasGal said:

I did too.  I can't remember how many seasons it lasted but he seemed charming and genteel.  @Sun-Bun maybe we were brainwashed by our Southern upbringings!  (Although mine was not upscale)

I think so, @TexasGal! Glad you get it!!

Let’s just say I’ve seen far less attractive/charming/rich than T-Rav old monied guys here in certain Nashville circles pull plenty of attractive, eligible women over the years, so Thomas would be like a unicorn in the larger Southern cities. Charleston is too small a city and everyone knew about his scandal, hence the reason he probably couldn’t settle down with the upper class gals he wanted. But I can see why he stayed there too, seeing as how his family is so intrenched in the history there.

Not sure where T-Rav’a living these days though; I think he’s finally left living in Charleston FT after the rape charges. Not to mention he’s likely still banned from a handful of downtown Charleston bars for his drunken antics over the years...

• Love 1