Type keyword(s) to search

S24.E12: Do You Believe In Magic?

• Start Topic

(edited)

Wow, that was really disappointing.  Not to go all Comic Book guy from the Simpsons, but "Worst Final Leg Ever !!"

There was nothing terribly difficult about any of the tasks, and there was no big final challenge that was actually, you know, challenging.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 14

Well the skydive was flashy (along with the lights and everything else) but yeah; I miss not having a task that pulls together the entire race. Still of the final 3, I think I like those winners actually winning it. 

• Love 1

I missed the memory challenge too. It's usually the make it or break it part part of the final leg.

Brenchels were just nasty on this leg. Trying to steal someone else's taxi? Not nice.

Loved David Copperfield! I've been a fan for years. Plus I think he is the sexiest man around!

And Brenchels? You don't need a million dollars to have a baby. You want a baby? Then freaking make a baby!

• Love 10
(edited)
Loved David Copperfield! I've been a fan for years. Plus I think he is the sexiest man around!

But the David Copperfield task ...... kinda sucked.  The faux drama about the other member of your team burning to death was terrible, and David is all very casual, "you know, maybe we should call the fire department".  Despite the fact the fire truck was right there.

Counting lightbulbs was also terrible -- that would have been appropriate if this was Amazing Race kids finale.

Basically the taxis decided this leg, and that just seems beneath the standard for this show.

I'm still not sure how they determined the final destination from the helicopter -- what about the Speedway display at the Aria distinguished that as the clue compared to the myriad of other ads along the strip ?

And the country singers were bitching about a run in with the Brenchels at the airport about cutting in front of some line -- why didn't they just show it ?  There would have been two camera crews at the scene.

ETA: It's pretty sad when the final challenge of the Family Edition a few years ago was more challenging than any of the tasks on this final leg.  This was All-Stars, it should have been way harder.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3
(edited)

Ok. I'm confused (sometimes it doesn't take much). I'm in central time zone & thought it showed at the same time as eastern time zin. How did some of you already seethe entire episode?

Edited by DallasGypsy

If I have to hear Rachel say she wants a baby so she has to win, one more time, I think I'll puke!  As Pepper the Cat said above, you don't need a million dollars to have a baby.  Lots of people have babies and never have a million dollars.  Get real Rachel!

Anyone who uses a cutesy nickname to refer to herself and her spouse is forever barred from having children.   Period.

It was Rachel's tendency to run first and think later than ruined them more than the taxi.   Plus wasting time trying to steal the taxi.   Okay your driver is slow so don't take extra time at a task.   

The final task was terrible.  I am betting that due to flight regs only one chopper could be over the stadium at a time so whoever spotted first won.   How ... not exciting. A memory challenge would have been so much better given the Country Singers inability to think for themselves.

D & C - "unexpectedly u-turned?" Unless there was a rule about not u-turning the old guy, everyone should expect to be u-turned.  I am going to believe this was a set up to have the first parent-child team win the race.   Which was disappointing considering the personality of the team involved.

The David Copperfield stunt was interesting except for the ending.  Did people really believe that a nationally televised show would put people in danger by setting them on fire?   C'mon.   Killer fatigue does not explain stupidity.

• Love 1

That final commercial break should have been SO exciting -- no one knew who was jumping first!  The final two were so lackluster, I switched to the American Billboards and missed the big ending.

Ditto the others who have said the lack of a memory task blew.  That really separated final leg taxi luck from good racers, something that drained the energy from this finale.  I also missed out on evening out the roadblocks for the pairs.  I cannot believe that it was so lopsided for Conner this season.  This took away from the season and the winner.  

Bummer.  Now that I know TAR is going to Friday nights, the swan song is a little bittersweet.

• Love 4
(edited)

For a second there I was hoping the Country Singers would take it--no reason except that's the way this season went for me.  Ok winners for an ok season, that would be.  I hate that I'm so apathetic about this season--I'm usually much more into it.  All Stars my sweet patootie.  The word of the day is:  lackluster.

ETA: This is what Phil tweeted about the road blocks rules:  rules same 4 all no team could do more than 6 RBs B4 end of L10 - 3 RBs in L11+12 those can be divided 2-1

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 3
(edited)
How did some of you already see the entire episode?

I'm guessing it was shown earlier in Canada... though I'm known for making wild guesses based on inadequate information.

I'm a terrible person and headed straight for Hell. Because my favorite part of this finale was seeing Rachel cry at seeing her hopes dashed, and thereby being deprived of the ability to have a baby.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 4
(edited)

Well, damn.  I sat down to "enjoy" a two-hour, season finale worthy episode.  And got this instead. 

I need to check with my parents and find out where they got the $1 million that is required to have a baby so that I was born.  Well, that was back in 1960, so maybe it was more like a quarter of a million back then.  Half a million really, since they had to scrounge up the money for my brother as well.  

Edited by Thalia
  • Love 4

How did some of you already seethe entire episode?

I think it airs an hour earlier in some of the Eastern Canadian provinces.

And the country singers were bitching about a run in with the Brenchels at the airport about cutting in front of some line -- why didn't they just show it ?  There would have been two camera crews at the scene.

One of them mentioned it was at Customs.  There likely wouldn't have been any filming allowed in the area.

I'm really surprised they made the finale easier for All Stars instead of harder.  They were apparently given a specific flight from the UK to Vegas, which I assume was to ensure they arrived at a specific time since most of the "tasks" required it to be nighttime.  Then no memory task to potentially switch things up and finally literally being dropped at the finish line instead of having to figure out how to make it there.  I wasn't as underwhelmed as some with this season's tasks but the finale definitely blew.

Dave and Conner were telegraphed as the winners for a while now, but I mostly attribute that to bad editing.  What bothers me more is the apparent dumping of the equal Roadblocks rule.   

• Love 2

Worst season since Family Edition.

Very poorly designed final leg: both roadblocks were linear/sequential - changing positions was nearly impossible.  (I'm not counting getting the keys out of the box; common sense.)  The lightbulb challenge shouldn't have seen a position change.  And frankly, while you didn't need a great taxi driver, like Miami, you needed to avoid the worst-taxi-driver-possible!

And I am really ticked that Dave didn't have to do both roadblocks.  Part of me understands that changing the roadblocks from 6/5 to either 6/5 or 4/7 is something they have to tell the teams, but isn't something that makes for good (or interesting) TV; but it feels like a major rule change, that was instituted just in time for a highly competent parent/child combo to be running the race.  [For all we know, the change was in place last season, and we just didn't know it, but it still stinks.]

• Love 2
(edited)

That was pretty uncomfortable to watch. Finales are never the best-designed legs, and TPTB clearly decided to make the most of the location, but the tasks were extremely processional, you had heavy taxi luck to separate the teams, and the David Copperfield thing was just... weird. I suppose I should be happy that Brenchal had the hometown curse, but it also means they'll be haunting CBS's casting calls for the foreseeable.

Did Dave say "you'll do it" to Connor for the skydive, before it cut to him suiting up with no real explanation why? Perhaps there was an instruction on the clue saying that he had to do it. The RB totals were skewed at the end anyway.

I hope it's the cue for TAR to draw a line under the past few years and start afresh.

I'm really surprised they made the finale easier for All Stars instead of harder.  They were apparently given a specific flight from the UK to Vegas, which I assume was to ensure they arrived at a specific time since most of the "tasks" required it to be nighttime.

Finales now tend to be a little easier, and at very least, more self-contained and controlled by TPTB, because they have to avoid spoilers (my guess is that it perhaps past midnight in Vegas) and also have to prevent teams from doing crazy stuff in pursuit of the million dollars. A spoonfed flight has been common in recent years.

Edited by etagloh

I'm really happy for the winners as they deserved it and I really enjoyed watching them win.  However, I enjoyed seeing Brendon and Rachel lose about 100x more!  Wow, they were truly insufferable tonight.  Pushing one of the country girls in line, throwing dirt where Dave and Connor were digging, trying to steal someone else's taxi?!  They were horrible, just horrible.  And all the screaming about having to win this for their baby was absurd.  Did they really think that the cabbies were going to go faster just because they kept screaming about their non-existent child?!  I think the world just dodged a giant bullet now that the Brenchel kid is being placed on hold.

I am impressed with how the country girls improved over the course of the season.  They raced this leg and the last leg without any help from anyone and they came very close to winning.  They're not the best racers ever, but they seem like nice people and I enjoyed seeing them improve.

It's about time a parent/child team won and I'm happy for Dave and Connor.  I'd be even more happy for them if Dave hadn't gotten so sanctimonious about being U-turned by Brenchel.  Hopefully now that he's had time to decompress and watch it back at home he's realized he was wrong to take it personally.  All in all, though, he and Connor deserved the win and it was amazing to see them win.

I agree with all the posters up-thread who commented that this leg was poorly designed, especially considering that it was the final leg.

• Love 4

Hey, Phil said Dave was 58 not 60!! "I'm a 60 year old man" he'd kvetch... yay add LIAR to the other great D&C characteristics! Pfft.

Hey Brenchels... You're in VEGAS... such a tough town to catch a cab... *eyeroll* howzaboutz just get OUT of your cab pay off and grab a different cab for crying out loud! Think that someone from Vegas might realize that???

And yes the worst season ever ends with the worst finale ever... virtually no chances to catch up and NO "final task" that has stumped people before, nah let's just make it as easy for D&C to win as possible. I call bullshit on this whole year and a show possibly tarnished forever. Good riddance TAR maybe I won't see you next time.

• Love 2

ETA: This is what Phil tweeted about the road blocks rules:  rules same 4 all no team could do more than 6 RBs B4 end of L10 - 3 RBs in L11+12 those can be divided 2-1

Hey gryphon, can you explain this, please?  I can't figure out what your shorthand means.  

• Love 1
(edited)

If the "Brenchel Baby" means that we will NEVER see his/her parents on a reality television show or any television show ever again, then I will make my deal with the devil right now. Where do I sign, Satan?

I guess I'm happy that Dave & Connor won. There were the evil of three lessers. 

Edited by Nedsdag

I didn't dislike it, but it wasn't one of the better finales.  And I echo everyone else who mourned the lack of a memory challenge.   Dropping the winner out of the sky probably sounded exciting in theory but it lacked any real suspense and didn't require any real work on the part of the teams.  It was weird seeing Connor and one of the country singers standing there with Phil waiting to see which of them won. 

The Brenchels were incredibly annoying this leg, but they were the only ones to open that box before getting to their destination.  OTOH, deliberately throwing dirt into a hole another team is digging seems like game interference.  I noticed that after Connor complained about it, it looked like Rachel stopped doing that, and I wondered if maybe she'd been warned about it (in spite of her confessional afterward that she would do it again).  

Did people really believe that a nationally televised show would put people in danger by setting them on fire?

IDK, Opposite Worlds probably would.  

Hey Brenchels... You're in VEGAS... such a tough town to catch a cab... *eyeroll* howzaboutz just get OUT of your cab pay off and grab a different cab for crying out loud! Think that someone from Vegas might realize that???

Hey, she's not just from Vegas, she is Vegas.

And the hometown curse strikes again, apparently!

Finales now tend to be a little easier, and at very least, more self-contained and controlled by TPTB, because they have to avoid spoilers (my guess is that it perhaps past midnight in Vegas) and also have to prevent teams from doing crazy stuff in pursuit of the million dollars. A spoonfed flight has been common in recent years.

They're doing a really shitty job because a 100% accurate spoiler list has been out since this season premiere. 

Terrible end to a terrible season. It really needed a puzzle - that is what put the Beekman boys over the top in their season. There was no room for movement at all this leg outside of Brenchel having a bad taxi and misreading clues. 

For the first time in forever, I'm on the fence about coming back in the fall. I've been watching since season 3, and I'm just burnt the fuck out on this show, and how boring it has become.

• Love 1
(edited)

Hey gryphon, can you explain this, please?  I can't figure out what your shorthand means.  

Actually, that's Phil's shorthand.  It means that the six-Roadblock limit only applies through the first ten legs.  For the last two legs (11 and 12), each leg has three Roadblocks, which can be divided 2-1 (in other words, the six-Roadblock limit doesn't apply in the two final legs).

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

They're doing a really shitty job because a 100% accurate spoiler list has been out since this season premiere.

Oh, for sure, but RFF is... somewhat obsessively good at getting the spoiler list. (I just checked the spoilers threads for the first time.) And there's a difference between having spoilers come through RFF, and having thousands of people watch the final leg being run in front of them.

They got '9 countries' at the end (and didn't mention continents) by counting England and Wales separately, which apparently is something they've done before when TAR visited the UK. That's shenanigans, and sums up how it was a pretty humdrum route map. As for the roadblock rules, it's nice that Phil came along to explain them, but perhaps it would have been good to mention this before the finale?

Okay the one thing I did like was the Ford Explorers and then being told to dig.   Unfortunately it was not to bury the final 3 and start the season over.

I was hoping someone would have pushed them off the side of the building during the light bulb challenge.  Yes, I am going to hell now.  Btw, does anyone else think the race was fix for the father and son to win the whole thing.

I'm looking forward to being on this board full time come season 25, but for now I will copy and paste my post from twop.  Look forward to joining the discussions!

So there it is.  As much as I didn't care about any of these 3 teams going into the final leg, Dave and Connor were probably the lesser of 3 evils to win, and it certainly is an amazing story to both come back from cancer like that.  I wish they had focused more on that over the course of the show, and less on the Magnificent Achilles and Dave the Old Man.  Though I suppose we all tired of the constant cancer talk back in season 22, so maybe I'm being a hypocrite.

As final legs go, I wouldn't put it among the best.  Overall it was a very linear leg that was largely (actually almost entirely) decided by taxis.  Magic task, taxi to Neon boneyard, taxi to Mirage, lighting task (this was pretty much the only task that allowed anyone to ascend or descend in the rankings), then taxi to skydive, and apparently no one had any trouble finding the route marker for the finish line.  Skydiving into the finish line though was certainly a cool twist.

Best quote of the episode would be Rachel's "Well, US need to be way more smart."  That should have been the title quote.

I was almost on the Brenchel train going into this finale, but the stress of the final leg brought her right back to season 20 today, so I can't help but feel wildly relieved they didn't win.

Overall it was an ok enough season I guess, considering the rather woeful "all-stars" that were selected.

• Love 1

I liked the lightbulb challenge because it was a "real" thing. I'm too tired to be eloquent but essentially, it wasn't some cockamamie thing they'd invented for the racers to do and you could easily see their progress. However, now that I look back at the episode (putting my hatred of Dave and Connor aside) I realize that part of the reason it felt so uneventful is that we didn't have the typical challenge reviewing some aspect of the whole race (e.g. what countries they visited, hello/goodbye, etc.). I want to sympathize with Brendon and Rachel but it's the own damn fault for running around the Mirage and being ridiculous. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Okay the one thing I did like was the Ford Explorers and then being told to dig. Unfortunately it was not to bury the final 3 and start the season over.

I like the way you think.

For me, that finale was the cherry on top of this turd sundae of a season. Not only did Dave & Conner win, but we got to hear about the Brenchel Baby, Dave's Achilles, and listen to the country singers whine about minor slights....tho the Taxi stealing attempt was definitely dirty pool. But worst of all, not a single task was interesting or remotely challenging. Almost entirely boiled down to taxi luck, except for the Brenchels who screwed themselves running around the hotel.....but if they hadn't been pure idiots, it should have been all taxi luck. The only thing I enjoyed even a little was the country singers sense of humor.

Then of course Phil makes a huge deal out of Dave being the oldest winner, in spite of the fact that he wasn't required to actually do much of anything the entire race.

I really hope the next season is better.

Edited by Joystickenvy

And Brenchels? You don't need a million dollars to have a baby. You want a baby? Then freaking make a baby!

Yeah I'm not going to hate on them for that. It's smart to wait to have a child until you can afford it and devote your time to taking care of your child. 

Hey, Phil said Dave was 58 not 60!! "I'm a 60 year old man" he'd kvetch... yay add LIAR to the other great D&C characteristics! Pfft.

I caught that too. Can someone please make a snarky joke about how young Dave is? I'm too tired to do it. It's been so long that I forgot Joey and Meghan were on this season. Can we please have a fun season of TAR soon?

• Love 3
(edited)

Worst season since Family Edition.

I agree.  Like almost everyone here, I hated the uneven roadblock distribution, the worse-than-ever maudlin scenes of Dave crying and the lack of a skill-testing final challenge.  But what I hated the most was that cab driver.  As someone above posted, get out and get another cab.  I've been to Vegas eighteen times and I've never had a bad cab driver.  They know how to get everywhere.

Edited by dolphincorn
  • Love 1

Agree with most everyone about this leg.  The magic task could have been cool, but the fact that Copperfield had to be there at the end to do the fake out, meant that even if a team had caught up to the team in front of them, they would have to wait for him to get from the previous team before they could actually finish, which, because the task was fairly easy, took away any slight advantage Brenchel or the Singers could have gained by doing the task more quickly than the team in front of them, and depending on how far apart the teams were located, (and I assume it had to be fairly far apart, or else they would have heard/seen the fake out with previous teams) having to wait for Copperfield to get there, actually could have put them further back than they started.  

And once they were up in the helicopters, unless a team totally missed the drop site, there was no way to catch up, because I doubt the helicopters are allowed to really race each other.  And while the magic rb could have been a little challenging, depending on how quickly you were able to get through the keys, there was no challenge in the helicopter challenge, which once again meant the old guy did not have to actually have to do anything.  In addition to being no memory task, there was also no endurance task that would have allowed some skill. 

Also, in addition to being a bad season, this episode was responsible for me feeling bad about myself, as part of me was hoping that Connor, Rachel, and which ever singer (I still don't know the difference despite seeing them in 2 seasons) was in the box, were actually burned in the box.  And then hoping they would all fall off the mirage building.  And when that didn't happen, hoping the skydivers were actually burning up as they dove to earth.  OK, while these were thoughts I had as I was viewing, I wasn't really hoping anyone would die, but I was wishing this was a fictional show, instead of reality, so it could have had the ending befitting this season.  Everyone dies!

• Love 3

The finale itself isn't actually worth commenting upon, but I just had to check. Has no one used the knickname "Team Million Dollar Baby" yet for Brenchel?  The words are all right there, but I haven't seen anyone put them together.

Dave, it's not hard to be "the oldest person to ever win the race" when you don't actually do most of the actual racing.

Otherwise, Jesus Fucking Christ!  No memory challenge.  A final task that is de facto (due to the distance I'm sure the planes need to keep from one another) a first-come-first serve; and in which the racer literally gets carried by someone to the Finish Line.

It's almost as if they wanted an old guy with a bum leg to win.

• Love 4

Yeah I'm not going to hate on them for that. It's smart to wait to have a child until you can afford it and devote your time to taking care of your child.

Well said, aradia22. The Brenchels explained that because Brendan is still in school, money is tight and that winning the money would give them the ability to afford to have a baby now. I'm assuming previous winnings have gone to paying for school as well as some living expenses. 

Rachel and Brendan ran a good race and while they did not acquit themselves well in the final leg (far too much whinging and making mistakes) I was rooting for them to win.

Not happy that Dave and Connor won, nothing specifically against Connor but Dave really bugged with "oldest man in the world" schtick and truly became insufferable during the last 3rd of the race. 

Since next season of the race will likely be it's last with the move to Friday, heres hoping it's a great one!

• Love 2
Rachel and Brendan ran a good race and while they did not acquit themselves well in the final leg (far too much whinging and making mistakes) I was rooting for them to win.

And, if the editing is to be believed, yet another finale that was significantly impacted by taxi luck.

• Love 1

Actually, more than just taxi luck.  The key scene was where D&C's taxi roared past the girls taxi.  Whoever got to the clue first was taking off in the first helicopter, and as others have said, barring a mistake spotting the landing sign it was linear from that spot on.  The green-team's taxi was most likely not an issue.  They had already screwed the pooch by running all over the inside of the Mirage.  The editing made it look like they were close to the other two but that's unlikely. 

To be fair to the show, there were a few places to mix it up.  A team could have totally blown the lightbulb count - or dropped one - or missed the landing spot sign - or gotten lost worse than team-green.  Still, that's not as good as a real test of memory and attention  which would have actually have evened things up for Brandon, who is only an idiot in that he married that woman - he had that deer-in-the-headlights look on the finish mat that said, oh damn, what HAVE I done...

My favorite moment was towards the end where Phil basically spit in their eye by saying that the race was between the other two teams.  Thank Jehosaphat!

Agree! Agree! The tasks for this episode seemed to be chosen for spectacle value rather than as a way to challenge the teams. Without any big final roadblock to tie things together, it seemed kind of pointless.

The David Copperfield stunt was interesting except for the ending.  Did people really believe that a nationally televised show would put people in danger by setting them on fire?   C'mon.   Killer fatigue does not explain stupidity.

I'm going to give the racers a pass on being concerned about this. I think that you wouldn't expect an established show like TAR to put you in danger on purpose, but accidents happen and things can go wrong, so, if you witnessed what looked like your partner getting hurt and everyone around was like, "Crap, that didn't go right," your first reaction would probably be to worry about what had happened.

Did Dave say "you'll do it" to Connor for the skydive, before it cut to him suiting up with no real explanation why? Perhaps there was an instruction on the clue saying that he had to do it. The RB totals were skewed at the end anyway.

I noticed that, too. It definitely seemed like he was planning to make Connor do it and then changed his mind. In the past, the clue has explicitly said that whoever did the first roadblock can't do the second, so I wonder if that was in play and they just didn't show it. I'm not sure.

A terrible season from the start with the whole Bopper fiasco all the way to the end where three of my least liked teams of any season managed to get in a weak final. There were so many things I didn't like about this season it's going to take TPTB a lot for me to want to watch another season if they roll out a poor product again for 25.

• Love 3

Like others here, I agree that it was such an underwhelming finale.  Why no memory challenge?  Very few opportunities in this leg design to get ahead, as the magic task presumably took about the same time (I'm guessing that everybody started with the first key and then went sequentially down the key ring and that the right key was at the same number for each ring), the lightbulbs - although could be screwed in a bit faster as evidenced by Dave and Connor passing the girls - had a fixed amount of time going up and down in the window washer thing, and then the helicopter leg certainly didn't allow for changing positions.

As somebody else up ahead said, the key was Dave and Connor getting to the helicopters first.  Although just barely.  They both were reading the clue at the same time, was the order determined by who got through the door first?  Or who got dressed the fastest?

Never before have been I so satisfied seeing a team finish third as I was tonight when I saw Rachel bawling.  I hope this is the last we see of her on tv...

There's been a few comments about the show moving to Friday and this being the last season.  Was this said in a preview at the end of the show?  As soon as it ended, I deleted it from my DVR so I can't watch again.  Has it been confirmed that this will be the last season?

(edited)

Sure - you need to have some financial stability - but not a MILLION dollars!

When I was first pregnant, I lost my job.   Then, the house we had just bought had a plumbing catastrophe (sewer pipe collapsed) and we had to put all our money into a new sewer pipe. Bottomline -  we had a baby with less than a thousand dollars to our name.

We survived, the kid survived, he now has a college degree, a job and an apartment.   

It may have cost us a bundle to raise him, but we sure didn't need all the money upfront before getting pregnant!

Back on-topic -   crappy finale to the worst season ever.   I hated D&C since they acted like babies over being U-turned.  I'm pissed that they won, but there wasn't anyone I wanted to win once the cowboys left.   And not having some kind of memory challenge at the end was a bad idea.  I'm always trying to guess what the teams will have to know for the final task.  this was a big diappointment.

Edited by backformore
(edited)
Did people really believe that a nationally televised show would put people in danger by setting them on fire?

IDK, Opposite Worlds probably would.

Hell, Israel's version of TAR actually did. (Then again, comparing that show to this is like comparing BBUS to the other versions of BB that still use the original format, so.)

Edited by SnideAsides

After a nights sleep I find myself thinking that this was the worst finale ever. It was 100% based on taxi drivers. Brendan and Racel were screwed when they got to the MIrage third. Yes, they wasted time running around inside but they didn't get that far inside before racehl insisted they turned around. The others were close to half way done when they arrived. Short of a massive screw up, there was nothing that Brendan and Rachel could do to catch up. All beacuse they one of the few taxi drivers that wouldn't speed and then got lost.

The lack of a memory task is a huge disappointment. The fact that Daivd was able to get away with doing so few individual challenges is embarrasing.

Just an overall crappy end to a mediocre season.

• Love 4

What the hell was that?

I wish that half of the teammates had perished in fire with the David Copperfield stunt gone wrong, and the other half had their parachutes fail to open, and landed on the Amazing Producers responsible for this travesty of a leg design, and the casting of this season.

• Love 2