Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

• Start Topic

52 minutes ago, MakingBacon said:

I would love for someone to ask what Nicole thinks is going to happen once she marries Azan. What does this happily ever after entail? What type of jobs do they work? Do they have 2.5 kids and a dog? Is she going to be the happy homemaker while he Azan brings home the bacon for her to fry up? Are they both going to go to school for better jobs? I don’t for a minute think Nicole has thought any further than actually getting married and Azan maybe agreeing to have sex with her one more time. 

Does Nicole have any friends? I don’t recall seeing any on the show. 

We supposedly saw her "best friend" on the first episode.  I highly doubt the girl is really her friend and was probably hired for that scene just like Jorge's "friend" is. 

x3ql9l84njz01.png

• Love 3
23 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

Btw what kind of place is that she lives in?  It looks like a motel room???

The general consensus is that she lives in a converted motel for single mothers that's operated by Nicole's grandfather's church. The last episode was the only time we saw her in a kitchen but I'm not sure if that is part of her unit or a shared kitchen facility, it was definitely not part of her room. 

We also saw her meeting a friend for a drink, but this could very well be a TLC set up. For some reason, that girl just didn't strike me as the type who would hang out with Nicole. Also, she had mentioned "going out with friends" last year when she supposedly cheated on Azan. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Sterling said:

When David was walking to that interview (in the dirtiest, most wrinkled "suit" I've ever seen), he walked by a Morton's steakhouse.  Know what, David?  Waiters at a nice steakhouse make a pretty decent living, and a couple of weeks' pay could probably get your son's bullet out of his face.  Oh, I forgot, you're too good for that.

He might think he's too good for that, but I agree with @Mothra that he would be horrible in any sort of "front of the house" position.  Being a repellent schlub isn't an excuse for not having a job, but I think it can be an explanation.  As I said, I wouldn't hire him for any position.

And his son could get his own health insurance--I assume he's over 18. 

9 hours ago, Christina said:

Some friends who appear on reality shows say they are paid and others say they are not, often for the same show.

When I first read this, I thought you were referring to friends of yours who appear on reality shows, and was really curious about someone who knows that many people on reality shows.  But you meant friends of the "talent" on the show.  Now I'm not so curious, and actually relieved.  For you.

• LOL 1

Anfisa is going to find someone else in the US who will be happy to be her bankroller. She's already getting better work done on her face with the Botox and lip injections, so she's on the way up, and some horny sugar daddy is going to want that. 

I am fascinated by the progression of plastic surgery and injections with the cast. I have no doubt Chantel got a much bigger boob job from one of the good ATL plastic surgeons and some things done to her face (but I can't figure out what). Pao looked good all along but has definitely had several things done to her body (possibly bigger breast implants -- definitely huge lip injections).  Jorge's sister has pretty sizable breast implants that seem to be bigger than last season. I suspected Anfisa probably had a butt lift type procedure and breast implants back home but it seems she's diving deeper into the well with procedures.  I wish we had a plastic surgeon in our forum who could theorize what all has happened. I'm fascinated. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

He might think he's too good for that, but I agree with @Mothra that he would be horrible in any sort of "front of the house" position.  Being a repellent schlub isn't an excuse for not having a job, but I think it can be an explanation.  As I said, I wouldn't hire him for any position.

And his son could get his own health insurance--I assume he's over 18. 

When I first read this, I thought you were referring to friends of yours who appear on reality shows, and was really curious about someone who knows that many people on reality shows.  But you meant friends of the "talent" on the show.  Now I'm not so curious, and actually relieved.  For you.

If the mom is a critical care nurse in Texas, she probably has decent healthcare thru her employer. Children are generally covered beyond age 18 (23  perhaps)and my health insurance now covers them to age 26 I believe. 

(edited)
12 hours ago, lovesnark said:

I do miss her tiny hats this season, though.

With her oddly shaped face and tiny hat, it always made me think of Mrs. Potato Head. And her slow, deliberate way of talking drives me crazy. 

On a different topic, maybe King Ca$his isn't Jorge's friend, but a good customer! 

Edited by magemaud
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, iwasish said:

If the mom is a critical care nurse in Texas, she probably has decent healthcare thru her employer. Children are generally covered beyond age 18 (23  perhaps)and my health insurance now covers them to age 26 I believe. 

Right.  But it's not decent coverage for the kid with the bullet in his face if the plan is such that he has to go back to Texas to get treatment.

And I can't remember--did they say he needed to go to Texas to get on his mother's plan, or just to get treatment?  Kentucky expanded Medicaid to adults, so if Jacob's income is low enough, I would think he would qualify for it.  And if his income is over the Medicaid limit, he could get his own insurance and have a big chunk of the premium paid by a subsidy.  If makes too much money to qualify for a subsidy, then there's zero excuse for him to not have that bullet removed when it's medically advised.

Regardless, I don't think it's David's responsibility to get a job so his adult son can be on his health insurance plan.  There are, of course, many other reasons for him to have a job.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, magemaud said:

With her oddly shaped face and tiny hat, it always made me think of Mrs. Potato Head. And her slow, deliberate way of talking drives me crazy. 

On a different topic, maybe King Ca$his isn't Jorge's friend, but a good customer! 

And her Spanish is terrible she sounds like a fool.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I have doubts about the bullet wound. At what must have been fairly close range, even a .22 bullet is not going stop at the cheek bone (it would either go in or bounce around the inside of his face). My guess is he was shot by a BB gun or a pellet gun.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
29 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Right.  But it's not decent coverage for the kid with the bullet in his face if the plan is such that he has to go back to Texas to get treatment.

And I can't remember--did they say he needed to go to Texas to get on his mother's plan, or just to get treatment?  Kentucky expanded Medicaid to adults, so if Jacob's income is low enough, I would think he would qualify for it.  And if his income is over the Medicaid limit, he could get his own insurance and have a big chunk of the premium paid by a subsidy.  If makes too much money to qualify for a subsidy, then there's zero excuse for him to not have that bullet removed when it's medically advised.

Regardless, I don't think it's David's responsibility to get a job so his adult son can be on his health insurance plan.  There are, of course, many other reasons for him to have a job.

David is less interested in getting a Job to have health insurance than he is in being able to cash in on any lawsuit that is filed. My guess is that the other kids parents homeowners  insurance might pay out a claim that he can get a share of.

• Love 3
(edited)
44 minutes ago, SevenCostanza said:

Which is more cringeworthy, the Family Chantel's Spanish or Pedro's English? 

Edited by magemaud
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, iwasish said:

David is less interested in getting a Job to have health insurance than he is in being able to cash in on any lawsuit that is filed.

I guess David didn't think ahead when he abandoned his children...and their mother probably has custody of any minors.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, magemaud said:

Which is more cringeworthy, the Family Chantel's Spanish or Pedro's English? 

I don't remember who it was I heard speaking cringeworthy Spanish, but I realized I understood every word she said.  As long as they're getting the actual words generally right, I can vastly more easily understand someone speaking Spanish with a terrible accent than a native Spanish speaker.  It's probably because someone struggling speaks so slowly and says the words one-by-one instead of all mashed together.  I can read Spanish fairly well, and think this way of hearing it is actually close to reading it.  Especially Spanish, which sounds just like it looks.

I first noticed the phenomenon in the movie Paris, Je T'aime, when Margo Martindale played the postal worker who took a solo vacation to Paris, and she wrote an essay about it for her French class and read it in a voiceover.  I can read French a tiny bit, but can never understand any of it when it's spoken because it's so different from how it looks.  Every once in a while I'll pick up a random world like "chapeau" or something.  Hey!  I heard hat!  But in this movie, she spoke so deliberately and slowly that I was able to understand all of it when coupled with what was being re-enacted on the screen.  It was amazing.

On the other hand, I have a hard time understanding heavily accented English (or, let's say differently accented from how I speak it), even when spoken slowly and deliberately.

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

Hey, I'm Mexican-American and my Spanish is atrocious. I'm always impressed when people can pick up another language--even with an accent! Hell, some natural born Americans on this show require subtitles for their English.  That's the real shame!

ETA: I guess you could say I am a Latina of the un-espicy variety.

Edited by zenme
  • Love 9
17 hours ago, Lucky Santangelo said:

Glad, I’m not the only one.

Thank you, I really thought I was alone! Just can't shake it off, especially with the smiles he's got at weird times.

The smug look of euphoria on Nicole's face when she told Assan about coming to Morocco and them getting married there.  I wish we could have seen the sheer horror on his face. Too bad there's no camera crew following him around.

The only time he ever displayed the remotest spark of affection was at the airport waving her and May goodbye.  

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

The smug look of euphoria on Nicole's face when she told Assan about coming to Morocco and them getting married there.  I wish we could have seen the sheer horror on his face. Too bad there's no camera crew following him around.

The only time he ever displayed the remotest spark of affection was at the airport waving her and May goodbye.  

Yup. That's the only time he seemed genuinely happy and was nice to her. 

• Love 5

Pao must have RH- blood and had pregnacies before where she did not get the injection that eliminates issues

I'm very old and RH- and the injection of Rhogram was not invented/ available till years  after my first baby died. ( not related to blood type)  You have to have it immediately after first pregnancy/ or birth . If you have miscarriage or abortion and don't get it then each pregnancy after it gets worse.   In the beginning  years ago girls / women didn't fess  up to an abortion  then ran into trouble with following pregnancies.    My 4th  pregnancy ( second living child )had to be taken 5 weeks early and had 2 complete exchange transfusions and a partial.   Giving benifit of doubt Perhaps  it was discovered at ER and she was able to have injection and she's playing up her condition as an excuse to take pressure off family being upset at her absence. 

I can't stand mouth gapping  Baby Pedro and can't believe she doesn't see through him and his family. I wonder if he contributes to rent or food etc.  

I hope I haven posted this before as my I pad is giving me grief.  

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, zenme said:

I'm Rh- as well, but no doctor ever told me about anything about babies with weak limbs...

My mother was as well. 8 pregnancies, 8 healthy kids. Her doctor said she was an anomaly in that her body did not develop the antibodies that would have caused the problems. Half of us kids are RH- half RH+.  Pao is full of shit. I doubt she was ever pregnant,probably wanted an excuse not to go to Colombia but Russ wanted her to see her “beloved”granny, one last time.

• Love 3
On 6/8/2018 at 11:31 PM, bethster2000 said:

Agreed.  I think Azan has her figured as being dumb as a box of rocks, and an easy mark to exploit.  I think dear little Nicole is a lot smarter than she is given credit for.  When she is motivated, she gets things done.  Case in point: Azan supposedly gets turned down for a K-1, so Nicole immediately weighs her legal options and finds a way around it.  Azan didn't count on such iniative.  She'll do anything to be with "her World"

Oh, and by the way...Azan totally faked that email.  I doubt he even went to the interview.

I have never been more satisfied than to hear he was ripping her off.  Now maybe she can actually parent her child for a change.

• Love 1
On 6/8/2018 at 2:20 PM, LilaFowler said:

What evidence is there that TLC/Sharp pays for anything on this show, let alone expensive trips abroad?

I don't think they pay for anything as a rule although Baby Huey Returns to Morocco is a guaranteed ratings bonanza. I'm sure that if the only thing standing in the way of that was Nicole's plane ticket, the producers would be like, "Honey, we will make your dreams happen."

11 hours ago, bethster2000 said:

I want a spin-off series starring Anfisa's gorgeous orange tabby cat.

There's a cute children's book in the making. "The Adventures of Anfisa's Gorgeous Orange Tabby Cat"

On 6/8/2018 at 11:26 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

I think we have all had a friend like Juan, he has a Peter Pan complex but honey you are getting too old to run around to the bars every night. Russ wants Paola to grow up and he resents his wing woman being taken away.

Juan may be in love with Russ. Or, in lust, anyway.

I think Juan has decided that he wants to be a reality TV show villain. He's doing a good job.

• Love 4

Of all of them the one I want to succeed - and probably will - is Anfisa.  She's more intelligent than we think and she doesn't need a fat dolt like George to buy her designer bags and shoes. She can do it herself. She is independent. Her command of English language is excellent and she sees through people and seems to know the score.  Her looks are not what's going to get her places or things she's wasting her time if she thinks they will- she has a great figure but not a particularly pretty face.  She needs to stop talking in monotone and let folk see her personality, hopefully she will get into a school program or training and she'll do well and  be an asset to the country.  

The only other possible success story is Annie.  She should be taking English lessons now -I'm in Canada and they're free for immigrants, I would expect the same for folk in the US.  Then once the green card arrives she can get away from Humpty Dumpty who's becoming unhealthier by the episode, find a job and not be so reliant on others.  David is a loser.  Stand on your own feet, girl. You're in America now, not Thailand. Women rule!

Azan & Nichole are a different kettle of fish as they're not married and he's not even arrived on these shores.  Yes, she should go to Morocco, live with the auntie, shove Assan around for a few months and get it out of her system.  She could even be arrested and put into jail.  It might be a wake up call.  She is living a foolish fantasy and is neglecting her child.

The others seem more a setup  for entertainment than anything else. 

• Love 12
56 minutes ago, noveltylibrary said:

I have never been more satisfied than to hear he was ripping her off.  Now maybe she can actually parent her child for a change.

Sadly she’ll move on to a new “world” and Mae will be left to entertain herself with lint, dust bunnies and random stale french fries. 

• Love 12
On 2018-06-08 at 10:20 PM, sainte-chapelle said:

Damn I never thought I would say this but I feel a bit sorry for Anfisa. Jorge does not care about her feelings, she is nothing but a piece of meat to him. I watched the 30 min preview of the upcoming episode and think that her tears and yearning for a family were real. Granted she she no saint and portrayed herself poorly but still.

I have always felt Anifisa’s bitchiness covered her  emotional vulnerability.  She seems like she has a real person underneath her facade unlike say Pao who has nothing below the surface.  Of course her abusive ways cannot be excused and she should seek therapy for her anger issues.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, hisbunkie said:

The Titans of Industry  that are family Chantel, can afford to launch an international investigation but cannot pick up the cost of her college books?  Interesting. 

This is very true. I can understand the Family Chantel not choosing to endorse the marriage by providing rent money, etc., but if they do have some money, I don't see why they wouldn't kick in for the school books. That's something truly for the betterment of Chantel/Ce-Air, or whatever her name is.  

And this can't be said enough: shut the fuck up, River. 

• Love 7

I wonder if they won't pay for the books because he sends all that money to his sister and mother.  It might be a control tactic.

If they provided the money for the books there would be nothing for the young couple to fight about but if she does not have money for her books and he's sending a big check home...that's a battleground.

Yes 'shut up River'.  Sigh.  His hair is newsworthy though.  Yipes.

Anfisa is a survivor.   She will do fine.  The only thing holding her back is her TLC filming commitment, causing her to continue to be linked with Jorge. 

Annie is a survivor, too.  Just not as savvy.   I can’t see her staying with David forever.  

• Love 5

I might be the only one to pick up on that, I'm usually the one that never notices anything, but it was River's reaction at the table (at the winery?) when it was all nice for one second and a half, then Mother Chantel opened her mouth. I swear I saw RIver near-sigh and put his arm down in a "here we go again" manner.

On 6/3/2018 at 10:45 PM, steff13 said:

I missed what was "wrong" with her blood?  

Exactly!  A blood "type" causing miscarriage?  

22 minutes ago, LGGirl said:

Anfisa is a survivor.   She will do fine.  The only thing holding her back is her TLC filming commitment, causing her to continue to be linked with Jorge. 

Annie is a survivor, too.  Just not as savvy.   I can’t see her staying with David forever.  

Right.  I feel sorry for Anfisa because she clearly has to continue the ruse of giving Jorge another shot just so she can stay on the show and have TLC income.  

Annie is starting to realize that life in America with a fat, jobless penguin is worse than being sold to prostitution in Thailand.

• Love 7
On 6/4/2018 at 12:22 PM, Marilee said:

Dear Molly (and Chantel), this marriage is proof of why you shouldn’t bring home the hot cabana boy. 

The irony to me, is neither one of them qualifies as a hot cabana boy.  Luis is downright ugly.  Pedro, in my opinion, is too.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

The Titans of Industry  that are family Chantel, can afford to launch an international investigation but cannot pick up the cost of her college books?  Interesting. 

Not defending them, but maybe Family Chantel is paying for her tuition, but she's expected to pay for her own books, uniforms and other incidentals like her stethoscope. I don't think that's unreasonable especially since she's in her late 20s and presumably has been working since high school. 

• Love 3

If Chantel is in her late 20's and no degrees as of yet..what has she been doing???  Ok I see she worked as a CNA.

Pedro was born in 1991 which makes him 27.  I can't find her birthday.  I wonder if she is older than him???

• Love 1
3 hours ago, hisbunkie said:

According to someone in the know,  Chantel used to attend the prestigious Spelman College in Atlanta.  However, she spent more time partying than attending classes, so her grades weren't up to par.  When she was placed on probation, her parents pulled her out and she returned home.  To her credit, she picked herself up and started working while taking classes at a Community College.   

A poster upthread said that Pedro's mom is an attorney.  Based on the fact that the first time Chantel visited, they were living in a one bedroom shack, I find this hard to believe.  Attorneys in the DR make a decent living, especially if they specialize in Immigration and Family Law.  I don't believe Pedro would be so adamant about his family being his responsibility if his mom was an attorney.  It just doesn't make sense.  

• Love 6
(edited)
54 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

If Chantel is in her late 20's and no degrees as of yet..what has she been doing???  Ok I see she worked as a CNA.

Pedro was born in 1991 which makes him 27.  I can't find her birthday.  I wonder if she is older than him???

Chantel is younger than Pedro, she is 26

Edited by DVDFreaker
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

A poster upthread said that Pedro's mom is an attorney.  Based on the fact that the first time Chantel visited, they were living in a one bedroom shack, I find this hard to believe. 

Pedro himself said his mother was an attorney. She and his sister had recently moved to a three bedroom apartment in town (the scene of Chicken Feet Gate) which Pedro helped fund. The fact that there are three bedrooms for two people is what makes the Family Chantel suspicious that he plans to move back. The shack where they refused to get out of the van was his grandmother's place out in the country where Pedro had spent his boyhood.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Chantel is 26. She was in some sort of college program when she meet Pedro. She supposedly was doing a year in the DR to learn Spanish and get some sort of college credit? That was when she was 22ish? Then she went to some sort of cosmotology school because she is doing eyelash extensions. Now she is a CNA and applying or going to nursing school (I know some top nursing schools give you points towards admission for being a CNA and some for profit nursing school make you be a CNA as part of clinicals, so who knows why she is a CNA?)

Maybe Family Chanel paid for her first time in college and don't feel like paying a second or third round? My parents had plenty of money but I got 1 chance at college. My junior year I realized I wanted a second major. There was no way my parents were paying for a 5th year so I took 64 credits (normal was 32) my senior year to get my double major. 

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

She supposedly was doing a year in the DR to learn Spanish and get some sort of college credit?

I didn't remember her studying Spanish there for a year, so I double checked. This is from TLC's website:

"Chantel, a cheerleading instructor from Atlanta, never expected to meet her fiance by learning Spanish via Skype. But her tutor Pedro, from the Dominican Republic, ended up stealing her heart. In a whirlwind romance, Chantel visited Pedro in the DR a few times before he proposed on her third visit!"

And the first season, when they visited Chantel's minister before their US wedding, wasn't he in some way responsible for setting up the Spanish lessons? 

(edited)
18 minutes ago, magemaud said:

I didn't remember her studying Spanish there for a year, so I double checked. This is from TLC's website:

"Chantel, a cheerleading instructor from Atlanta, never expected to meet her fiance by learning Spanish via Skype. But her tutor Pedro, from the Dominican Republic, ended up stealing her heart. In a whirlwind romance, Chantel visited Pedro in the DR a few times before he proposed on her third visit!"

And the first season, when they visited Chantel's minister before their US wedding, wasn't he in some way responsible for setting up the Spanish lessons? 

Thanks for checking that. A college Spanish tutor on Skype? I had just remember them saying she was in college studying Spanish and then they showed her in the DR supposedly learning it from locals. I bet the whole tutor thing is a lie. If she told her parents Pedro was on a college visa, she could easily lie about how they met. I'm sure Chantel would not want to say she met Pedro on hotguys dot com. I always wondered why her Spanish wasn't better. David and Annie seem to have changed their story a bit for TLC (in fact Nikki and Chris said the helped David clean up his backstory so he could be accepted on the show), so why not Chantel change her story a bit.  I bet the vast majority of couples either meet online or via some sort of religious related activity but how many Mormon missionaries and guys meeting hot girls online can TLC show. Got to switch it up a bit. 

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

A college Spanish tutor on Skype? I had just remember them saying she was in college studying Spanish and then they showed her in the DR supposedly learning it from locals. I bet the whole tutor thing is a lie.

How it was explained on the show was that it was some sort of program where they were matched so he could improve his conversational English and she could improve her conversational Spanish so it really wasn’t a tutor situation.