Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Insert Username said:

Every once in a while I check up on Marjorie Jackson's Instagram. Since splitting with Si, she went to and finished college (an actual accredited college) and is now working in DC and appears to be living her best life, while still maintaining her faith. She has more spirit and life than a dozen Duggars. It's sad - they could have all had this. At the very least, they all could have gone to college (although since JB does not have a college degree, there was no way he was going to let any of his kids get one) I think Jinger, Jessa, Josiah, and the sinner twins in particular would have thrived at college.

Is she still working at FRC? Josh's old employer?

On 12/29/2021 at 12:18 PM, Ljohnson1987 said:

Lauren seems very whiney. Josiah seems like he wouldn't put up with it. 

Well we all know they don't seem to be a good fit; but live and love.  that's all.

Edited by Boston
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Insert Username said:

Every once in a while I check up on Marjorie Jackson's Instagram. Since splitting with Si, she went to and finished college (an actual accredited college) and is now working in DC and appears to be living her best life, while still maintaining her faith. She has more spirit and life than a dozen Duggars. It's sad - they could have all had this. At the very least, they all could have gone to college (although since JB does not have a college degree, there was no way he was going to let any of his kids get one) I think Jinger, Jessa, Josiah, and the sinner twins in particular would have thrived at college.

Jessa? She’s so awkward with strangers. I think Jill would enjoy it. And Josiah, but none of the others imo.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Insert Username said:

They can still go. I doubt if Derek or Jeremy would have any problem with their wives going to college if they wanted to.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Yeah, I really don't understand why people always think Jessa would like school or make a great career woman. She's lazy, uncomfortable outside of the Duggar bubble, and has zero curisosity about anything.

Plus she's abrasive and not a people person. She doesn't have the social skills necessary to shmooze her way to the top. 

• Love 12
41 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't think either Jessa or Jinger would have liked college or handled it well. I do think Josiah would have probably flourished in a Christian college setting. 

I agree about Josiah but maybe not at a Christian college. I could see Jinger enjoying the social aspect but would have been an academic disaster even if she'd had a decent education going in. I don't think Jessa would have necessarily liked it, but I could see her having a small group of friends and muscling through her classes because that's what she had to do to get whatever kind of job she'd want to get down the line.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I agree about Josiah but maybe not at a Christian college. I could see Jinger enjoying the social aspect but would have been an academic disaster even if she'd had a decent education going in. I don't think Jessa would have necessarily liked it, but I could see her having a small group of friends and muscling through her classes because that's what she had to do to get whatever kind of job she'd want to get down the line.

He's basically every theater kid I met at the Christian college I attended. His inner ham would have loved it, and they just did whatever the fuck they wanted anyway. LOL 

• LOL 8
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

He's basically every theater kid I met at the Christian college I attended. His inner ham would have loved it, and they just did whatever the fuck they wanted anyway. LOL 

Oh, in that case, than yeah. I was picturing him as a theater kid and that image completely contradicted my idea of what a Christian college would be like for him. 

• Love 4

In Marjorie's case her degree got her a job at a hate filled entity, so now she's a college educated Fundy.

Its hard for me to imagine any Duggar succeeding in school. I mean look at Jill, she didn't even attempt to get her fake midwife certificate until she was forced and it was difficult for her. And her attempt at learning Spanish never really evolved beyond labeling household items, even when she had one on one help in El Salvador. 

I think Josiah would have struggled for the same reasons - you have to continue to show up.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

In Marjorie's case her degree got her a job at a hate filled entity, so now she's a college educated Fundy.

Its hard for me to imagine any Duggar succeeding in school. I mean look at Jill, she didn't even attempt to get her fake midwife certificate until she was forced and it was difficult for her. And her attempt at learning Spanish never really evolved beyond labeling household items, even when she had one on one help in El Salvador. 

I think Josiah would have struggled for the same reasons - you have to continue to show up.

Yes that's true. I was looking at it purely from the social standpoint. 

I don't know that any of them could have surmounted the academic difficulty of it. It's certainly not impossible for someone from subpar homeschooling to go onto academic success (thinking of Tara Westover), but it requires a lot of drive and curiosity that I'm not sure any of them have. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't know that any of them could have surmounted the academic difficulty of it. It's certainly not impossible for someone from subpar homeschooling to go onto academic success (thinking of Tara Westover), but it requires a lot of drive and curiosity that I'm not sure any of them have. 

Granted, I don't know anyone who was homeschooled for fundie reason, but I've known a lot people with subpar public school educations or who were just not good at school at all and many of them were able to get through college. I'm not sure any of the Duggar kids could, but you're right that it would require a lot of drive. There are those, like Joy and Jinger, who I think couldn't do it with all the drive in the world, while some others like Jill, Jana, and Jessa might have the drive to push through if they're interested enough or have a specific goal they're trying to accomplish...IF they can get past the frustration on being so far behind. Not one of them  would graduate with good grades, but I can see a few of them doing well enough to graduate.

• Love 9
11 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Joe made it through the year-long bible certificate "degree" at Clown College. Although having been drilled with the KJV since birth, it probably wasn't challenging.

I also got the impression Joe may have been looking for his "Mr." as well. Maybe not at the school, but possibly in the Bates' living room.

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Joe made it through the year-long bible certificate "degree" at Clown College. Although having been drilled with the KJV since birth, it probably wasn't challenging.

Was it a planned 1 year certificate course? I thought he went to Clown College with the intention of getting a degree but gave up after a year. 

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I also got the impression Joe may have been looking for his "Mr." as well. Maybe not at the school, but possibly in the Bates' living room.

There were rumors that he and Carlin were possibly pre-courting. It's known that Carlin saw someone before Evan, but he's never been identified.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I think Jessa and Jinger would have been okay at college if they hadn't grown up fundie.  It's hard to tell how being raised not to question things, not to trust the world, etc. warped their personalities. 

I think both Si and Lauren would be happier if they weren't fundies and got more of a chance to grow up.

• Love 8

Some kids struggle in public school for various reasons but something clicks in high school or like Ozziedad, in college and they flourish. The Duggars seem to just give up at some point, like Joy, so no chance for any of them to be passionate about learning as they age.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, Temperance said:

I think Jessa and Jinger would have been okay at college if they hadn't grown up fundie.  It's hard to tell how being raised not to question things, not to trust the world, etc. warped their personalities. 

I think both Si and Lauren would be happier if they weren't fundies and got more of a chance to grow up.

Jinger seems completely dim to me. 

• Love 14
11 hours ago, Zella said:

I was homeschooled after elementary school, and I don't think I received a subpar education, but I think it is much easier to do college coming from a bad public school than a bad homeschool. And in my case, I think having had a few years of public schooling was very beneficial, even if it didn't happen past 5th grade.

I still had some really embarrassing moments. I wrote a lot for my homeschooling, but I'd never typed an essay before I went to college and had no clue what double spacing one. All my assignments kept asking for it and I was like "What the fuck is this and why am I losing points for this?" LOL I finally had to ask my comp teacher and then I felt dumb when she very sweetly explained it to me. It never occurred to her that someone wouldn't know that. I always double spaced after that! I never ran into anyone who went to public school who'd had this trouble, but I've met a lot of other people who were homeschooled who had the exact same experience. 

My experience with people who were homeschooled exclusively and did not have a very good homeschooling education is that beyond things like that, they struggled with just the bare minimum of being in class, completing homework, and doing assignments in a way that I personally did not see with people who went to public school because those homeschoolers had never done it before but all the public school kids had. A lot of the homeschoolers I went to college with were actually quite bright and liked learning, but their idea of school was basically sitting around having fun with mom, and when school wasn't fun with mom, they were confused and completely lost. And it quickly starts to add up and become demoralizing and overwhelming when every single thing the teacher expects you to do is something you've never done before and isn't explained and all your classmates already think is normal/think you're an idiot for not knowing.*

*And that's not even factoring in the extra fundie complication of constantly learning about things your parents either didn't teach you in your homeschool or taught you the exact opposite of what you are learning in college. 

This.  I think many homeschooled kids, especially those kept in a cocoon by their fundie parents, don't have a sense of what typical classroom learning is like and it hinders them.  They haven't attended lectures with dozens of people sitting around them paying varying degrees of attention, they haven't had a daily schedule that they had to follow and learned to study math for an hour and then switch to English lit.  They often learned at their own pace and took tests whenever they felt ready; they didn't have pop quizzes or mid-terms.  Having to track down a prof during their office hours to ask questions also is a foreign concept.  

So, the nuts and bolts of traditional learning environments is something that many homeschooled kids don't get and, in fact, many of them are used to the environment adapting to them.  Mom would let them go outside and run around for half an hour instead of doing math if they were restless.  If they want to lie on the floor and do their geography test, fine. Nobody expected them to sit quietly in place and listen to a lecture and take notes. School revolved around them and they have a tougher time adapting to the structure of more formal education.  Add in a lot of fundie kids being told that the earth was 6000 years old and that the Book of Genesis was a science text and you've got a recipe for learning difficulties that have nothing to do with intelligence.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 15
24 minutes ago, Rootbeer said:

This.  I think many homeschooled kids, especially those kept in a cocoon by their fundie parents, don't have a sense of what typical classroom learning is like and it hinders them.  They haven't attended lectures with dozens of people sitting around them paying varying degrees of attention, they haven't had a daily schedule that they had to follow and learned to study math for an hour and then switch to English lit.  They often learned at their own pace and took tests whenever they felt ready; they didn't have pop quizzes or mid-terms.  Having to track down a prof during their office hours to ask questions also is a foreign concept.  

So, the nuts and bolts of traditional learning environments is something that many homeschooled kids don't get and, in fact, many of them are used to the environment adapting to them.  Mom would let them go outside and run around for half an hour instead of doing math if they were restless.  If they want to lie on the floor and do their geography test, fine. Nobody expected them to sit quietly in place and listen to a lecture and take notes. School revolved around them and they have a tougher time adapting to the structure of more formal education.  Add in a lot of fundie kids being told that the earth was 6000 years old and that the Book of Genesis was a science text and you've got a recipe for learning difficulties that have nothing to do with intelligence.

Yes! I just don't think you can teach someone adapting to structure and the idea that sometimes you just have to do stuff you don't like doing when they're 18 if they've never had it.

I had a friend in college who was very smart. Like, she taught herself Japanese. And she was talented--she was a great writer and artist. But she was homeschooled her whole childhood in a very lazy way by a mother whom I'm pretty sure had significant mental health issues. School for her was just sitting around and reading and drawing and writing short stories, and that was all. She was never required to do anything she didn't want to do. 

She made pretty good grades in college because she was very academically gifted, but she would have unbelievably childish meltdowns if she was required to do something she didn't want to do. It affected her in classes and work, and she ended up pushing a lot of people away from her, including myself. I remember one particularly disturbing work incident where her schedule was changed because she was the only person who was available at that time, and she just completely lost her shit that she was being asked to do something she didn't want to do and wanted everyone else to sympathize with her and then became upset and enraged that nobody did. 

She ended up going to Japan to teach after we graduated--she managed to ace the language proficiency tests despite being self-taught--but something happened because she came back in the middle of the school year way earlier than the 5-year commitment she wanted to do. 

She's never once talked about happened, and she's flailed around ever since. My suspicion is she was fired after she had a similar meltdown in Japan, and that her ventures into other lines of work have ended just as badly. 

There's another girl I went to college with who basically did the same thing in South Korea, except she was more open about it. She was asked to teach an additional program and completely lost her shit over it and ended up getting fired and losing her visa, so she had to leave the country. She's also just sort of flailed around ever since, despite being very smart and talented. The story is always the same. She gets a job that she loves and the minute it is hard or requires her to do tasks she finds boring or doesn't like, she becomes extremely angry and dissatisfied.

Part of adulting is doing stuff you don't want to do! I don't think either of them are capable of functioning in a normal school or work environment because of the way they were raised. 

I often think about how traumatized some of the Duggar in-laws seemed when the subject of schedules came up. I know everyone's personality is different. I'm very schedule-oriented and some of my friends and coworkers aren't, but the Duggars seem to go well beyond a preference to the point that I am not sure they would be able to follow a schedule if they were required to do so. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 14

On the other hand, the Duggar kids had to do things they didn’t want to do all of their lives (I refuse to believe they all wanted to be sister moms, play instruments, and be paraded around the country in their freak show), but I doubt Michelle made them push themselves with their schooling. 

• Love 13
Just now, Cinnabon said:

On the other hand, the Duggar kids had to do things they didn’t want to do all of their lives (I refuse to believe they all wanted to be sister moms, play instruments, and be paraded around the country in their freak show),

But they were also taught that they were supposed to grin and bear it and not to express negative emotions about it, so it's not really the same as your parents requiring you to do something you don't want to do and letting you voice your displeasure. 

• Love 2

I also think that they would struggle with the social aspects.

They grew up bathing once or twice a week and sleeping in their clothes. Issues involving basic hygiene make people uncomfortable, and I think people would have been more likely to just walk away than to clue them in about body odor.

They have literally never had any friends. Some of the younger ones were allowed some limited friendships within the cult with people they saw, maybe, once a year. They've been raised not to trust anyone, even their siblings, and it's hard to develop friendships without some basic level of trust.

There's also the fact that they were taught that they could watch someone do something for 20 minutes and become experts themselves. I think the whole idea of study is alien to them, and I don't think that they have the internal emotional tools to persevere when things become difficult.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

On the other hand, the Duggar kids had to do things they didn’t want to do all of their lives (I refuse to believe they all wanted to be sister moms, play instruments, and be paraded around the country in their freak show), but I doubt Michelle made them push themselves with their schooling. 

I agree, but truly nothing the Duggar 19 has had to do, lasted more than a couple of hours and rarely were they solely responsible for anything. They could pretty much half-ass anything and get away with it, and were given wide berth as to when to get it done.

Mainstream life comes with all kinds of built in structure and expectations. One of the things many of my clients struggle with is lack of structure after years of school, jobs, parenting, etc. When they lose these built in structures (for various reasons) they're lost.

For the Duggars its the complete opposite. They never had consistent built in structure, so they find it very hard to conform.

• Love 9
On 1/20/2022 at 12:48 AM, GeeGolly said:

Where did Marjorie go to college and what did she major in?

12 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

Where did Marjorie go to college and what did she major in?

I'm pretty sure she got a graphic design degree from John Brown, a private Christian college in Siloam Springs. It's considered a nice school. I know quite a few people who attended and ended up becoming atheists but still raved about how much they enjoyed being a student there. I've never encountered that from alumni of other local Christian colleges. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 6
  • Love 3
On 1/19/2022 at 8:55 PM, Zella said:

I think this assumes all colleges are intellectually rigorous to some degree, though, which hasn’t been my experience with the university system in the United States. I certainly think any of the Duggar children would have been hard-pressed to succeed at an academically challenging college or university, but I think there are colleges that virtually any of them could have made it through. They might even have done better than we would expect. I once did some grading for a freshman comp class at a large state university with a decent reputation, and I was shocked by the poor quality of the work that was awarded passing grades. Going solely by their social media posts, many of the adult Duggars write quite a bit better than those students did, and most of them ended up passing the class. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

I think this assumes all colleges are intellectually rigorous to some degree, though, which hasn’t been my experience with the university system in the United States. I certainly think any of the Duggar children would have been hard-pressed to succeed at an academically challenging college or university, but I think there are colleges that virtually any of them could have made it through. They might even have done better than we would expect. I once did some grading for a freshman comp class at a large state university with a decent reputation, and I was shocked by the poor quality of the work that was awarded passing grades. Going solely by their social media posts, many of the adult Duggars write quite a bit better than those students did, and most of them ended up passing the class. 

I've worked with student writers at two colleges/universities, with various degrees of academic standards. I stand by my assessment of the Duggars as not being ready for primetime. Writing ability is the least of the reasons why I think college-level work would get them, though I don't think any of them are good writers. The lack of ability or willingness to study, think critically, and schedule their time would be far more damning, IMO. A lot of more gifted students than the Duggars flunk out of mediocre colleges. 

Edited to add: Also in my experience, small samples of writing like you see on social media really are deceptive about academic writing ability. I had a lot of students in comp classes who could write beautiful timed in-class exercises. They knew how to do timed writing because of testing in school and the shortcuts to craft a decently structured response. If you only read those, you'd assume they'd make good grades on essays. Their actual essays were shit, though, because asking them to really think about an issue, dig into it, support their arguments, and use sources were subpar. Setting aside grammar concerns and quality of prose, I really don't think any of the Duggars could write a competent 3-page essay in which they intelligently argued a point and supported their argument effectively. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 19

They also probably never learned time management either.  Juggling muliple assignments with different due dates.  The pressure of pulling an all-nighter to study for and important exam.  Working to get their GPA up, etc.  If the Duggar Empire implodes, they all have zero chance.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, Ljohnson1987 said:

I wonder if Siah and Lauren will even announce the birth of the 'Alleged' baby. They definitely need all the good things they can get. Especially after Josh gets sentenced. 

We can call him/her Conjecture. They're doing an alphabet theme. 😁

• LOL 14
47 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

But what if they have decided to NOT hold on to their Z list celebrity status with a death grip, and instead to live their lives without chronicling it publicly on social media and otherwise? In that case, I don't see that a public announcement would give them any "good things" - except some clickbait articles online that mention Josh. They may have already decided that ain't nobody got time for that. If so, good for them.

They don't owe the public, including us snarkers, a damned thing. He had no choice in his being put on a TV show when he was a little kid, I don't think she has a robust enough personality to deal with the downsides of being a public figure, and if they want to drop off the publicity radar, more power to them. 

And any article about any Duggar will forever include mentioning the Felon and his plight.  He has done a lot of permanent damage to every member of his family.

• Love 7

Back to the college discussion.  Josiah did actually go to college…. For about two weeks.  Back when Jill had met and married the Accountant.   He decided it wasn’t his thing.

my guess is that showing up, reading college textbooks, getting a syllabus that showed test dates that weren’t optional was just too much for him.  Along with women in skimpy ( to him) clothing who expected  a guy to actually talk to them without an introduction by dad or an chaperone. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

Back to the college discussion.  Josiah did actually go to college…. For about two weeks.  Back when Jill had met and married the Accountant.   He decided it wasn’t his thing.

my guess is that showing up, reading college textbooks, getting a syllabus that showed test dates that weren’t optional was just too much for him.  Along with women in skimpy ( to him) clothing who expected  a guy to actually talk to them without an introduction by dad or an chaperone. 

I did not know that Siah (said in a breathy voice) actually attempted college. News to me!

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I don’t know if he bothered  to declare a major, or fill out the matriculation form. He just took a course  I think. I can’t remember whether he said it in a talking head interview or if someone got a screenshot of his first social media account.  But I do remember it because I was surprised that he even attempted it. He said it wasn’t his thing.    He was one of the siblings that did actually get a high school diploma rather than a GED 

• Useful 3