Type keyword(s) to search

Josiah and Lauren: He Has To Marry Somebody

• Start Topic

Who knew the previous monstrosities she's worn as the MOB/MOG were actually better options. The red after party dress she wore was soooo much better. Still surprised she's actually showing her legs. 

• Love 12
5 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

_100444236.jpg?crop=pad&pad_color=FFF&fo

To me, this is a dress for a younger woman, not one who is over 50, short and matronly. Michelle would've been better off in her standard uniform of crocs, black skirt and button-down blouse.

• Love 20
(edited)
10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

_100444236.jpg?crop=pad&pad_color=FFF&fo

This emphasizes that the dress is made for a teen/20-something (pushing it) who is not well-endowed. This dress would be best suited for Hannie.

cross-posted with @GeeGolly. Goes to show we're right! ?

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 15
(edited)
10 hours ago, Jules59 said:

It is interesting how wedding receptions differ in various parts of the country. I am from the midwest and every wedding reception I have attended, with the exception of one, a meal was provided, and usually hors d’oerves with a cocktail hour. The first time I heard about a “nuts and punch” reception was from a neighbor.  She said her and her husband had one because she saved herself for marriage and wanted to get out of the reception quickky (sounds familiar).

Depends on where in the Midwest. The weddings in Central Illinois range from the nuts and punch to the dinner.  I’ve seen a lot of heavy appetizers too.   The only cocktail hour I’ve ever seen has been on that silly Four weddings tv show. Now, the rumor is the Chicago weddings cost as much as people’s first homes. I’ll pass. If your main reason for inviting me is a big check, I’ll just stay home.   

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 8
15 hours ago, floridamom said:

The issue I have with these types of receptions is that they can't seem to put proper foods together. It's not expensive to have finger sandwiches, cheeses, olives, crackers, potato, pasta salads, cole slaw, etc. One can go to Sam's/Costco's and purchase there or make finger sandwiches themselves. They seem to have a ton of volunteers. Why can't these volunteers put proper foods together? The closest to that was Jinger's reception as they actually had HOT meatballs and cheeses. Of course, we all know that came from the minds of the Vuolos.

I would suspect because they don't work Outside the Home, thus have no exposure to sophisticated catering.  I know that a lot of what I know about food I know from being sent to corporate events, and actually paying attention to what shows up on the platters (I also have a partial-photographic memory, which usually means things like "I can recall whatever outfit you were wearing when we had such and such a conversation", and the layout of un-alphabetized files in a drawer, provided I've spent a long time staring at the file drawers looking for things in the past).

• Love 6

I'm not going to slag on them for the food. Wedding traditions vary by location, ethnicity, and religion. Everyone is used to their own traditions and they are often shocked by those of outsiders. In my family, gifts of money would be considered to be in shockingly poor taste; a reception consists of a nice dinner and dancing. In other traditions, the family would be shocked and scandalized if guests gave toasters and towels instead of cash. Some traditions won't allow you to leave the reception unless you're stuffed to bursting, and others (apparently) offer a special snack of some sort (ice cream floats, or strawberry cupcakes) and nothing else.

I remember J'chelle "helping" the Bates family prepare for a wedding and they were making something like 1 teaspoon of guacamole per guest. I think this may just be the norm among Gothardites -- most of them are, after all, extremely poor.

I think the general cheapness of the Duggars, combined with their stunted social skills makes it seem like they can't throw a normal wedding, but I think they throw a wedding just like all the other weddings in their cult. There are so many reasons that I'm glad I'm not a Duggar or a Gothardite, that this particular one is pretty innocuous to me.

• Love 12

Hold the presses! The Dillard family photos/videos posted on their own site and on the Pickles and Hairspray Facebook page reveal that an actual meal was served at the reception-- hard to see exactly what was on the plate, but it was a sit down meal! That had to have been Lauren's family's idea/contribution. No way would Boob spring for real food at one of his offspring's weddings. Good for the Swansons! I'm impressed!

• Love 10
(edited)
On 7/14/2018 at 8:46 PM, sixlets said:

Mr. Six & I come from the semi-famous land of the cookie table.  We were married in October 2002, had 234 invited, and 161 (excluding bridal party) show.  It was a 300pm ceremony, and the reception was about 20 minutes away at a hotel.  It was very, very common for a mid-afternoon ceremony with an evening reception that included a full meal and cake.  A punch and cake reception would be very outside of the norm in our area, and may not be heavily attended.  

We attended a family wedding last August, and they had a candy bar set up.  It had very traditional options with 'penny candy' sweets-fireballs, Pixie Stix,  rock candy, etc.  They also had stations with appetizers, bar, full meal, and cupcakes.  It was all very tastefully done and didn't scream tacky.  Tacky also seems to be the theme with this family though.

I, too, reside in the magical home of the cookie table.  The first wedding I attended in another state I innocently asked where the cookie table was...the kind ladies at my table stared at me like I was hallucinating. I went on to preach to them about cookie table lore.  They were gobsmacked as they ate their wafer thin slice of cake. 

A friend did a candy bar for her daughter’s bat mitzvah. It was FANTASTIC!  Personalized bags with her daughter’s name on them and all the penny candy you could imagine. She threw in some chocolate, as well. M&Ms and mini wrapped Hershey bars. I’m thinking of doing the same when my daughter graduates high school. 

Edited by Lady Edith
  • Love 4

Ok so back to Si.  Here’s the thing. If he truly wants more from his life, he now has the power (as the “head” of his own family, to do with his life as he sees fit. If he wants to take classes at the local community college, he can (though he may need to do it on the sly to hide it from Jim Bob and Clown Car).  Lauren really can’t say anything to his parents (or ANYONE) if she is sworn to secrecy. And if she goes against her “headship” and tattles, I’m sure there are repercussions.  

Si, if you only realize the power you have in this situation.  You may have thought that marriage was a prison sentence.  But it’s not. You are free...more free than you have ever been. Spread your wings, Si.  And let your spunky self back in. Be who you want to be and don’t look back...

• Love 21
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

This emphasizes that the dress is made for a teen/20-something (pushing it) who is not well-endowed. This dress would be best suited for Hannie.

cross-posted with @GeeGolly. Goes to show we're right! ?

I was thinking the same thing! That’s a dress from the juniors section.  Not MOB! The dress and the hair remind me of Witch Hazel from the Looney Tunes. 

9F3DF78E-6A04-4202-ACF5-939645F98004.jpeg

26 minutes ago, MichaelaRae said:

What does this family have against a well-fitted bra???? 

Maybe they interfere with the boob smoosh during side hugs.

• Love 9
4 hours ago, latetotheparty said:

Another family photo. Sam in his carrier. No one can be bothered to hold him. He’s like a piece of luggage to them 

It looks like Sam is asleep, I’d let a sleeping baby sleep if it were me 

• Love 14

I recall a few years ago Michelle agreed to a modest makeover that temporarily brought her hairstyle out of the 80's. Boob hated it. She immediately went back to her ugly mullet. Michelle doesn't have the liberty of deciding how she'll wear her hair or how she'll dress. It's whatever Boob ultimately approves of -- and he has terrible taste. 

• Love 14

I looked up this magical Cookie Table...it may be from PA but we might drag it to KY for my daughter's wedding.

I'm a President for a local service organization and I have to put large spreads together on a budget all the time. Maybe not for 1000 people but many a time for over 200. Between Sam's and GFS, it's amazing what can be done without caterers inexpensively but with elegance without a crockpot in sight. A lot of caterers use GFS stuff with impunity anyway....at least around here. But honestly, the only thing about the SiRen wedding that bugged me more than usual was the cake with bleeding strawberries all over it.

• Love 3

Screenshot_20180715-212802.thumb.jpg.5d2183dfdc1aa9b556de5bd2e4f87a87.jpgScreenshot_20180715-224846-573x474.jpg.8a3752b68ceaccbf348ac96bd2c84157.jpg

A close-up of the back of the dress. Too bad her hair wasn't up to show off the nice detail and the dress looks a bit weird with it pinned right at her butt. The bridesmaids dresses they are unflattering on everyone except the little girls, maybe if the top wasn't pleated they would've looked better. 

I zoomed in the on the food on the plates and all I could make out were bread rolls, chocolate strawberries, and cupcakes. 

• Love 6
(edited)

The tweets on both Derick and Jill’s twitter pages are still there,  with links to the pictures, and videos on their blog. However, the blog post, pictures, and videos are no longer there. I can’t say I’m surprised. I was wondering if they had permission.

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, MichaelaRae said:

What does this family have against a well-fitted bra???? 

Because you have to buy them NEW and can't save the difference!  It goes against the Duggar creed!

• Love 17
39 minutes ago, leighdear said:

Because you have to buy them NEW and can't save the difference!  It goes against the Duggar creed!

Whenever we lived in states that had Ross stores I got a lot of my clothes there. You could get bras for $3-$5...I had quite a few before it really dawned on me that they were almost universally horrible. I bet they get theirs somewhere like that.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Whenever we lived in states that had Ross stores I got a lot of my clothes there. You could get bras for $3-$5...I had quite a few before it really dawned on me that they were almost universally horrible. I bet they get theirs somewhere like that.

Yes, a good bra--good enough to support Michelle style breasts, is going to cost a pretty penny. A $5 bra is ok for someone like the pre-pregnancy Duggars (except Joy).

• Love 5

And just because one can close a bra doesn't mean it actually fits.  When I went for a real bra fitting in a My Intimacy store (home of Oprah's bra fitter, but they have changed their name now), the fitter never even touched me, just looked, and brought back bras that all fit.  So they could go in pairs or groups to make sure the bra fitter doesn't get frisky with them.  Because modesty.  And yes they cost big bucks, but they last years if taken care of.

• Love 10
(edited)

Yes. Duggar girls likely wash in regular cycle, and dry in the dryer.  I'm sure for them it's too immodest to have have bras drying on a line in the laundry room. 

Edited by zenme
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I forgot to post this one. I cropped it, so it may be fuzzy.

F3DC4121-619A-42AC-B1A9-0E2192645703.jpeg

Wow "Momma" someone hates you. That's a revenge dress if I ever saw one. "Oh that dress is PERFECT for you. You look great!" Lol

• Love 16
On 7/14/2018 at 9:29 PM, DragonFaerie said:

They give them a copy of their books.  

On 7/14/2018 at 10:31 PM, awaken said:

Good question!  I’m thinking a plaque from Hobby Lobby with “family” or “in this house we will serve the lord” on it. 

How about a Duggar Family portrait to go along with the book & do-dads?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Lunera said:

Screenshot_20180715-212802.thumb.jpg.5d2183dfdc1aa9b556de5bd2e4f87a87.jpgScreenshot_20180715-224846-573x474.jpg.8a3752b68ceaccbf348ac96bd2c84157.jpg

The bridesmaids dresses they are unflattering on everyone except the little girls, maybe if the top wasn't pleated they would've looked better. 

The heavy gathering on the bodice makes all the girls' boobs look huge. It's funny because for such a modest, full cover dress, it's totally defrauding. 

• Love 14
(edited)
32 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

The heavy gathering on the bodice makes all the girls' boobs look huge. It's funny because for such a modest, full cover dress, it's totally defrauding. 

Isn't the Gothard term for that kind of defrauding dress feature "eye traps"?

The way those dresses emphasize the boobage, someone could get a lot more than their eyes trapped in those bazooms!

I'll show myself out . . . how's the chocolate chip cookie stash in the Prayer Closet holding up? Maybe I'll stop at the store on the way . . .

Edited by Jeeves
Corrected "word" to "term" because it's two words. Duh.
  • Love 14

Is that Kendra's sister to Kendra's left in the stage lineup photo? I fear she's being set up to be married off to another Duggar boy; if she is, I hope it works out as well for her as it did for Kendra and Joe. 

• Love 7

Looks like Lauren's dress would defraud, what with it tacked up to her rear end.  Eye trap!

Ma's dress makes her look even dumpier, as others have posted.  Too young looking for a 50-something, too.

Does Boob even own another suit?  That gray polyester look is awful on anyone.  It reminds me of my brother-in-law's hideous baby blue leisure suit, circa 1977.  Ugh.

• Love 12
24 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Is that Kendra's sister to Kendra's left in the stage lineup photo? I fear she's being set up to be married off to another Duggar boy; if she is, I hope it works out as well for her as it did for Kendra and Joe. 

I do too. She's been in the mix an awful lot lately. The Caldwells are going to have another mouth to feed in the next few months, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're desperate to unload another daughter in order to balance out the equation. My guess is Lauren will be married off to one of the twins.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Lunera said:

The bridesmaids dresses they are unflattering on everyone except the little girls, maybe if the top wasn't pleated they would've looked better. 

Are the hems supposed to be dragging on the floor? 

• Love 7

The bridesmaids dresses are totally my style - for a nightgown. 

So wait, 1000 people are supposed to eat from the cupcake and candy bar? It didn’t look like many cupcakes at all. Or do they whittle down who gets a seat and a gummy worm? 

Lauren has a gorgeous figure. I can picture her as an athletic girl - maybe in college sports. But we’ll only see her in dresses with baby bumps. 

Michelle is so weird. Why does her hair get flatter and rattier all the time? 

I hope Kendra’s sister gets hot twin. She seems very sweet - let her have the best looker of that bunch (which isn’t saying a lot). 

• Love 13

That's funny - I wonderful if it does get down to "I'll trade you 2 Pixy Stix & a couple of gummy bears for half hour use of folding chair."

12 minutes ago, EmeraldGirl said:

The bridesmaids dresses are totally my style - for a nightgown. 

So wait, 1000 people are supposed to eat from the cupcake and candy bar? It didn’t look like many cupcakes at all. Or do they whittle down who gets a seat and a gummy worm? 

Lauren has a gorgeous figure. I can picture her as an athletic girl - maybe in college sports. But we’ll only see her in dresses with baby bumps. 

Michelle is so weird. Why does her hair get flatter and rattier all the time? 

I hope Kendra’s sister gets hot twin. She seems very sweet - let her have the best looker of that bunch (which isn’t saying a lot). 

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I do too. She's been in the mix an awful lot lately. The Caldwells are going to have another mouth to feed in the next few months, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're desperate to unload another daughter in order to balance out the equation. My guess is Lauren will be married off to one of the twins.

Oh gosh. Is Kendra's sister also named Lauren? That would be fun - two Lauren Duggars. 

• Love 15
32 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Does Boob even own another suit?  That gray polyester look is awful on anyone.  It reminds me of my brother-in-law's hideous baby blue leisure suit, circa 1977.  Ugh.

Your BIL baby blue leisure suit brought back memories. My husband wore a similar baby blue suit on a trip to Hawaii in 1978 when he graduated from high school.  

Too bad Lauren didn't wear here hair up so we could see back of hair & dress. The veil blocked most of everything. Do the Gothardites have to wear a veil? 

• Love 5