Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: The Wedding

• Start Topic

I see that Wendie Malick and Dan Lauia were called in to play this episode's "Hey!  I know these actors and they're playing a mom and dad!" 

"This room's full of a whole lot of damn."  Oh Sterling "Kathleen."  You're totes adorbs. 

My sister's one comment: "Why is (Deja) Lemonading?"  I was hoping Future Randall was going to drop a hint in the final seconds.

See you in the fall! 

• Love 24

I know Kevin said he didn’t feel better but I thought that his and Randall’s Worst Case Scenarios were hilarious.  Dark, but hilarious. Her flash forward was sad though.  I loved Kevin’s, I’m a sucker for a forehead kiss (not so much a toast though).

It’s interesting that Kate not seeing Toby in her dream was a big deal, but when Kate danced with Jack, it looked like Kate was wearing a wedding ring.

• Love 24
1 minute ago, PRgal said:

Whoa....so Kevin and Beth's cousin???  And Dan Lauria (Jack Arnold!!!) as Toby's Dad?   And I wonder who "she/her" is in Future!Randall

As Zoe was being awesome, I thought why can't Kevin fall for someone so cool. 

She/her can be anyone of the women close in Randall's family.

• Love 11

OK, I was hating the Jack/Rebecca fantasy vow renewal.  Until it turned into Kate realizing that she couldn't hold on to Jack AND have Toby.  Kate has been soooo stuck in time for 2 decades.  But, she finally seems to be able to let go. 

Wasn't crazy about kevin's toast, though.  Kate had already unmade the wedding about Jack and he had to bring him back up.  And, nice that Kate and Rebecca seem to be getting somewhat of a fresh start, too.

I don't blame Deja for beinb hurt, and angry at her mother for giving her up.

I t hink the "her" Future Randall and Tess were talking about was Deja.

Kevin and Zoe?  Hmm.  Wonder where they were going?  To find out exactly what happened to Jack's brother? I sincrerely hope they don't try to get us to buy that he's been a POW all this time.

And, just when Kate lets go of her father, Toby's going to up and die on her?  Aargh. Poor girl can't catch a break.

Poor Madison.  Couldnt' snare Kevin.  They'd have made a cute couple.

• Love 9
8 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

So close. We were SO CLOSE to a happy ending. Dang, the future.

This fucking show, man...

I get Deja was hurting, but geez the woman's honest mistake had nothing to do with Beth and Randall! Ugh...

At least the wedding was nice. Kate's dress was lovely; I know it's harder for plus-sized dresses to be flattering. And it's good Kate decided to spread Jack's ashes. 

Toby's parents were asshats, though. Geez, get over yourselves and show some support for your son!

Thought Old Jack would be a fantasy of him giving away Kate instead of a fantasy vow renewal. I might have liked that better. Doesn't matter, it still killed me.

Geez this season just flew by. Now comes the long wait...

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 14
3 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

Deja is such a wet blanket. I hope they age her off the show next season. 

Only if they're going to do a time jump.  Randall and Beth want to adopt her, and she's 14, 15?  She'll be around for a while.

• Love 4

I think the flash forward with Randall/Tess was referring to Beth and they were talking about visiting a grave.

I don't think even a well adjusted teenage girl would enjoy being told she looks like Randall.

I guess Sophie's gone for good.  I don't know how the actress got her name in the opening credits considering how few episodes she was in. I do like Beth's cousin.

I'm trying to figure out what balsamic lavender ice cream would taste like.

5 minutes ago, Bluedog100 said:

I need a break from these people. But who else recognized ice cream guy from Season 6 American Idol top ten finalists???

I totally did!  Wasn’t he like a chicken or something?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Only if they're going to do a time jump.  Randall and Beth want to adopt her, and she's 14, 15?  She'll be around for a while.

Maybe, age her off was the wrong phrase. How about getting rid of the character all together?! She brings me down. And, I don’t mean in a good way the way I want. 

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 20

This show! Oh My!  It had me laughing(Kevin & Randall being Wedding Planners, their dark thoughts in the car), and had me in Tears....loved seeing Jack&Rebecca renewing their vows, Kate making amends to her Mother, Kate letting go of her Father's ashes, Kevin's toast "Just breathe"...and now the show is going to leave me Hanging like That?!  What is wrong with Toby? Kevin & Cousin heading to Vietnam, what will he find?  Older Randall & Older Tess....I'm thinking something has happened to Deja?  Yikes....now to wipe my tears away

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Conotocarious said:

I wonder if Toby was sick physically or perhaps mentally? His parents talk with him seemed to a foreshadowing of major depression issues.

I took it as some kind of psychotic break.

• Love 18

I thought Randall was talking about Beth in the future, but it very well could have been Deja.  Or even Annie.  She hasn't had a subplot on the show yet, and she'll be grown by that time in the future.  This show loves to surprise.

Deja destroying the car...ok.  Didn't see that coming.  I thought she was going to drive off and crash somewhere.

Kevin hooking up with Zoe is interesting.  Looks like they're finally closing the book on him and Sophie, and I'm fine with that.  That said, it feels too coincidental that Beth never mentioned her cousin and their life similarities to Deja.  Or she did and I missed it.

Glad that Rebecca and Kate finally reconciled.  Poor Rebecca, trying to walk an emotional minefield with her daughter.  

Funny how Toby's parents were thinking Kate was the problem, when it looks like Toby just might be inclined to be depressed anyways.  

Interesting how neither Rebecca nor Miguel were seen in the flash-forward.

• Love 13
9 minutes ago, emjohnson03 said:

Why is it ending in March? Why can't we have so many more episodes THIS season?

My guess is it's the producers/writers who figure they can do enough in 18 episodes instead of stretching it out for the 22 episodes and NBC is willing to protect it even with a reduced season.  Plus it allows the cast to get more time to work on other projects. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, RogerDodger said:

I think the flash forward with Randall/Tess was referring to Beth and they were talking about visiting a grave.

I don't think even a well adjusted teenage girl would enjoy being told she looks like Randall.

I guess Sophie's gone for good.  I don't know how the actress got her name in the opening credits considering how few episodes she was in. I do like Beth's cousin.

I'm trying to figure out what balsamic lavender ice cream would taste like.

I've never had balsamic lavender, but I've had lavender vanilla gelato and balsamic raspberry sorbetto.  I have to say that I quite like both.  Weird/artisanal is a "thing" right now.  Some are weirder than others

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 5
4 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

I took it as some kind of psychotic break.

Me too, and I feel like we knew Toby had depression. Did I make that up?

4 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

My guess is it's the producers/writers who figure they can do enough in 18 episodes instead of stretching it out for the 22 episodes and NBC is willing to protect it even with a reduced season.  Plus it allows the cast to get more time to work on other projects. 

They may be making room for the show "Rise," which is starting right now.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Why? I look like my dad. My dad looks like his mom (sometimes people skip my dad and say I look like my grandmother, which is also true). Sterling K. Brown is FINE.

Brown's a good looking guy, no doubt.  Its just that most of the teenage girls I know are so image conscious that I don't think they would appreciate being compared to a middle aged man.  I could see saying it to a son.

5 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I was thinking it was Deja. Maybe a callback to Beth and Randall's first worst-case scenario where he worried that she wouldn't turn her attitude around and end up in jail.

Maybe Deja murders Beth in her sleep (or not in her sleep).  That might be too dark even for this show.  

decent episode up until kate asking about marrying jack, that really grossed me out and spoiled the episode, also seemed a bit much for shannua to terminate her parental rights, didn't like deja smashing the car, with future randall and tess i wonder if it's deja or annie or maybe beth who is waiting for them

• Love 2

I don't think Toby is going to die anytime soon, at least. I think he was just deep into depression. Maybe after losing a parent or another miscarriage.

I loved seeing Randall and Kevin "normal" again and not wallowing or preoccupied or even making it all about them.

I'm assuming future Randall was talking about Deja, only because he said he's not ready yet either. To me, if it was Beth or the youngest daughter, he'd be by their side from the get go. Or wouldn't hesitate to visit a grave. But my initial thought was someone was sick, and they didn't want to see that person ill in the hospital. 

Could future Kevin be adopting from Vietnam, and was just looking at the photo? This show likes its twists.

Edited by WednesdayAddams
added idea
  • Love 18
4 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

At some point, I fully expect to see a flash forward that is nothing but Pearson graves, probably all with the same death date as the show then does a season long mystery about how it is that the entire (currently living) clan died on the same day.  I really am thinking the show spends too much time wallowing in either death or the promise of something equally horrible befalling the family. 

I'm not sure if you're kidding or not, but yes, they all die on the same day.  But, not together.  Or, maybe Kate and Kevin together and Randall separately.  Kate and Kevin will die in a fire just to bring everything full circle and Randall will be murdered by someone he told a corny joke to who was just not in the mood.  On second thought Kate dies in a fire.  Kevin dies in a car accident after having fallen off the wagon.  And, I guess since they share a b-day with Jack, they can share their death day with Rebecca.  After she hears that all 3 of her children are dead, she has a heart attack and dies.  Toby then married Madison.  I don't know what Beth an Miguel do.

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I totally cried. I have had a terrible day. I was already feeling depressed (got some bad news today and am also prepping for a funeral this weekend) and in my feelings. But there were so many little sweet moments in the episode that made me tear up. I loved how Kevin and Randall were working so hard to be good brothers. (I should show my brother - who actually is awesome - this episode.)

There were also funny moments, like "room full of damn" and both worst-case scenario games.

I was thinking it was Deja. Maybe a callback to Beth and Randall's first worst-case scenario where he worried that she wouldn't turn her attitude around and end up in jail. I know a couple who adopted a kid out of foster care when the kid was a teen, and let's just say the kid did not take advantage of the opportunities he got. He did end up in jail, for burglary.

I mean, to her, her mother abandoned her. She's been fighting hard to get back to her mother and her mother just gave up. I'm sure that's how it feels to her. I was pretty surprised that Shauna would terminate her rights. She has the right to be upset. I don't blame her for being angry. My mother would have said "You have the right to be upset. You do not have the right to be rude." But I can see Beth and Randall feeling like the situation was already really precarious and not wanting to come down hard on her.

Why? I look like my dad. My dad looks like his mom (sometimes people skip my dad and say I look like my grandmother, which is also true). Sterling K. Brown is FINE.

Agreed. Ten is old enough to know how marriage works. My best friend's daughter used to tell me she wanted to marry me when she was about three, and we would pretend-plan our wedding. "What kind of cake should we have? Will there be lots of music?" We thought it was funny and I thought it was really sweet, because to her marriage just meant a party with someone you love, so hey, why not marry Auntie Empress1? But Kate was too old for that.

17 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

What was the thing in Kate's bouquet that was her something old?

18 minutes ago, RedDelicious said:

What was the thing in Kate's bouquet that was her something old?

Jack's hammer

• Love 9

I really liked it.  Liked that Kate finally let go of Jack a bit.  And I liked that both Kevin and Randall admitted they put themselves before Kate for awhile now.  I liked that they tried their best to make her wedding day special.

Loved Worst Case Scenario.  I loved the tics that Beth and Randall have with their marriage.  And I loved in the moment, Randall opened up to Kevin and got him to play the game too.  A couple of my friends texted me and asked "so, worse case scenario.  Sounds just like you," LOL.  I'm such a Randall.

I'm concerned about Deja.  I hope they get her into therapy.  I really thought we weren't going to get the angry foster kid story, so I hope they steer clear of the stereotypes with this story.

I think Toby has cancer, or some sort of sickness.  There are lots of meds that could be adjusted.  I was hoping Kate was going to be drama-free for awhile.  I bet that "future" story happens really quick.  I couldn't believe how many future stories they laid out.  I wonder what their writer room looks like....there has to be crazy storyline threads EVERYWHERE.

• Love 16
10 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I'm going to disagree with you on this.  They did have some very real concerns.  they expressed them.  And when Toby still said he was going through with the wedding, they did come and support him.  I admit the timing could have been loads better, but like his dad said, they held their tongues when he married his first wife and they regretted it.  NOw, if this all goes south, they at least know that they made him aware of their concerns.

IA.  It's not a good look, but I get why they did it.  Kate has been yo-yoing back and forth for months.  If Toby speaks to his family regularly (even his brother) then I'm not surprised that they have concerns about it.  And if they're afraid Toby is making a mistake, it's better to ruin his day than watch him ruin his life.

7 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

I was thinking it was Deja. Maybe a callback to Beth and Randall's first worst-case scenario where he worried that she wouldn't turn her attitude around and end up in jail. 

Regardless of who it was, I have a feeling this person doesn't have long.  Tess told Randall that she wasn't ready to see "her" and Randall said he wasn't either, but it was time.  The definitely feels morbid.

I'm sorry you had such a bad day, Empress1.  I hope you can relax and tomorrow is better.  :)

• Love 11

I'm worried for future Annie! They're trying to trick us! 

Nice Big Three moments. I especially loved Kevin telling Randall not to let him sleep with Madison. Kevin yelling at Randall about the wedding planning reminded me of Kate being mad at Toby last season finale over the balloons popping before William's funeral. In fairness to Kevin, waiting till the last minute is very un-Randall. I'm always happy to see Dan Lauria in things. Part of me is still in my six-year-old mentality thinking that because he died in Wonder Years he died in real life. 

I wanted Kevin to let her wear Jack's necklace.

Okay, who is that playing cousin Zoe? I recognize her and it's driving me crazy, but it's not on IMDB yet. 

• Love 18