Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Alicia's Story

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I was actually shocked at her first weigh in.  She was large, but, I didn't think she looked that heavy. 

Alicia is only 5ft 3 and she said at the start of the show that she weighed as much as 5 people...Her goal will 130-150 lbs

• Love 1

First time poster... just started watching the show and I wondered if the dietician/ nutrionists are always so lame. "Look! mayo is all fat don't eat it and salad dressing is all fat don't eat it. This tiny portion of meat is a serving. See ya bye". Didn't give her any instructive info on how to manage a workable 1200 calorie a day diet. Didn't discuss processed foods, use just balsamic on a salad for instance. I would have thought she would have given her a meal plan, gone over the diet and discussed lo cal alternatives to her desired foods.  Maybe they cut all that out.  But to just show the "ha you have mayo in your fridge loser" and "look at this tiny portion of meat"  leaves the impression the dietician was just there to shame her  

• Love 4

Well I guess because the show's supposed to be all about the bariatric surgery they don't spend much time discussing nutrition, although I agree with you.  A dietitian is desperately needed for all these people.   I mean, who buys a huge jar of  mayo when they're on a diet?  It seems common sense to me - but then I guess the morbidly obese really don't have a clue about the simplest rules of dieting.  I remember one guy thought he was on a restrictive diet because he was down to " only one fast food meal a day".

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

Well I guess because the show's supposed to be all about the bariatric surgery they don't spend much time discussing nutrition, although I agree with you.  A dietitian is desperately needed for all these people.   I mean, who buys a huge jar of  mayo when they're on a diet?  It seems common sense to me - but then I guess the morbidly obese really don't have a clue about the simplest rules of dieting.  I remember one guy thought he was on a restrictive diet because he was down to " only one fast food meal a day".

Yes but Tim is not on a diet and if he works  in the construction  industry  he needs all the calories  he can get. Why should  he have to go without  mayo?

• Love 6
On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, Pondlass1 said:

The house must've been an Airbnb but whose food was in the fridge?   Odd that all the kids' drawings were not removed?

Someone on Facebook that said they know Alicia and Tim said they actually are renting a room from a family that owns the house, but they don't want to appear on camera and that's why you don't see them.  I did wonder in that one scene when Alicia was leaving to go back to Illinois to see her mother there was 3 vehicles in the driveway and Alicia was parked out on the street.

• Love 3

If the dietician was visiting her at the house in Houston it wasn't even her fridge. The family would certainly have their food on the fridge. And a sustainable diet could include a teaspoon of mayo.  It's not about 0 fat or 0 carbs or 0 whatever. It's about learning nutrional balance and healthy choices and portions. 

Edited by novhappy
  • Love 10
57 minutes ago, Tenarife60 said:

Someone on Facebook that said they know Alicia and Tim said they actually are renting a room from a family that owns the house, but they don't want to appear on camera and that's why you don't see them.  I did wonder in that one scene when Alicia was leaving to go back to Illinois to see her mother there was 3 vehicles in the driveway and Alicia was parked out on the street.

So that totally could have been (probably was) their mayonnaise. 

Alicia never looked or acted like she weighed 620 lbs. She took care of herself, walked, drove, shopped, etc.  I thought maybe she was tall and that's why she didn't look that heavy, but then no, she's only 5'3?  I am 5'6" and was on the verge of being disabled at 380 lbs.  I don't know how she was doing it.  Then she lost 150 lbs and still looked the same to me. Weird.  No emotional payoff. It was a very flat episode. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, novhappy said:

First time poster... just started watching the show and I wondered if the dietician/ nutrionists are always so lame. "Look! mayo is all fat don't eat it and salad dressing is all fat don't eat it. This tiny portion of meat is a serving. See ya bye". Didn't give her any instructive info on how to manage a workable 1200 calorie a day diet. Didn't discuss processed foods, use just balsamic on a salad for instance. I would have thought she would have given her a meal plan, gone over the diet and discussed lo cal alternatives to her desired foods.  Maybe they cut all that out.  But to just show the "ha you have mayo in your fridge loser" and "look at this tiny portion of meat"  leaves the impression the dietician was just there to shame her  

They definitely cut out a lot of the dietitian's visit. About 2-3 minutes of it was included in the episode, and the dietitian could have easily been there for an hour. And Dr. Now gives the participants a meal plan.

• Love 4

I really like her. I was pleasantly surprised to see one of the participants exercising. And at a gym! And walking outside! And boxing! I really do like her - she is struggling with her food issues and I totally get that. But she is outdoors, engaged with her family and seems to have a relationship with a man who is nice even if he is codependent. Fingers crossed for her.

• Love 4

I haven't finished watching this yet but couldn't wait to comment about how amazing that was that she was pretty mobile - omggg she could walk the entire grocery store. AND she dressed up to go see Dr. Now. 

It's very interesting to me that some people are very mobile while other people can't go to the bathroom on their own. 

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 10
5 minutes ago, RoxieRambles said:

First time watching this show and I really like Alicia and Tim! I guess i gotta watch another episode to see all the craziness.

Go easy at first.  You're certainly not ready to watch Steven & Justin (on my NEVER will I rewatch list), and maybe not James K.  
Welcome, but you need to build up your tolerance.

• Love 11
On 1/25/2018 at 9:10 AM, JDAlexander said:

That was a much-needed positive episode with likable people we could actually cheer for--so different from the usual patient.  She took responsibility for her food addiction, he was supportive without being enabling, they drove nice cars, no handicap stickers, good tooth-to-tattoo ratio and he had a job.  I can't remember any previous couple being so "average."  Gives me hope that Alicia will be successful and lead a fulfilling life.  

LOVED the "tooth-to-tattoo" ratio!

On 1/25/2018 at 9:33 AM, ChicksDigScars said:

It was nice of TLC to cleanse our pallets after the past month of jaw dropping what-the-fuckedness, with a somewhat normal person who, despite her weight, dressed appropriately, put on make up, and had a very nice, supportive boyfriend/fiance who had....gasp.....A JOB.  PLUS, she didn't need to be catered to. She cooked her own meals, walked and drove herself around. She had the normal neurosis and addictions that come with the territory. But, no gross living conditions.  And NO APARTMENT COMPLEX OF DOOM. 

Which means we'll barely talk about it, it will generate zero buzz, and TLC will be back to showing us trainwrecks next week. 

Yes, it's too bad, because I so prefer the ones with "normal" people where we can focus on the heart of the eating-related problem, without being distracted by the unsupportive spouse, or house overrun with cats, etc

• Love 4
On 1/25/2018 at 9:25 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Alicia bore similar resentment with her mother as Janine did from last week.  It seemed like her mom wasn't being mean to her about her weight, but, genuinely worried about her health and THAT'S the reason for the resentment.  I do happen to hold those parents responsible for the obesity of their young children.  And if she was 200 pounds at age 10, it was her parent's fault, since they buy it and serve it.  They allowed that to happen.  It's different with teens. I get that.  But, if she and mom have made amends, that's good.  My thoughts are that resentment with an abusive, alcoholic parent is more pressing than one who tried to help you with your eating plan. 

I get the impression from this episode (and one before it, which I can't remember who it was) that these adults are annoyed about how their parents treated their obesity in childhood, because the parents were focused on "How can we get the child to eat less?" instead of "What is the reason behind why the child is eating so much?" In pretty much every case we've ever seen, there is some childhood trauma or hurt that contributed to the child developing an eating problem, and I think that as kids (and now as adults) they resent that the parents weren't talking to them about what was going on in their lives at the time.

On 1/25/2018 at 9:41 AM, kj4ever said:

Also I would think someone that is that size has probably tried a diet or two in their lifetime.  How come a professional has to show them what a freaking serving is?  How to measure it?  She just didn't want to do it is all.

Actually, "being on a diet" isn't necessarily related at all to portion control.  From what we've seen with most of the cases, being on a diet has usually meant subsisting on some weird combination of a few permitted foods.  Almost never have we seen someone that in their past has "dieted" as meaning balanced meals in reasonable proportions.  Maybe they had proper portions as a child, but that was awhile ago and when someone else was doing it for them.  If you've been overeating for a long time, I totally can see just having no idea of proper portions...we've seen it time and time again on this show.  And if you're now eating what your family ate when you were growing up, with an almost total lack of awareness of food content, it's a "recipe" for failure. 

I totally agree that a nutritionist should be the first step, which should be followed closely by a therapist, and then a trainer, before these patients waste their many, many months (and the months of their friends and family) failing/flailing.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:05 AM, cpcathy said:

Unless I  missed it, I was surprised she wasn't working out more. She seems to be one of the most mobile people I've ever seen on this show, and that park they were walking in was lovely, not sure why she wouldn't conquer the boredom with a few walks per week, or at least get a DVD and do it in her house? Also, I gasped when she said she asked Tim to take a couple of days off work per week to walk with her. REALLY?? Miss out on a salary for a couple of days because she needs a walking partner? While she stays at home doing nothing??

Yes!  I think in her case it really was about inertia and "this is how I've always done it" (or "not done it" as the case may be).  If someone had come to her home and made specific suggestions about activities and exercises she could do around the house, I suspect she might have done them (especially if they could have hooked her up with an accountability partner in her same situation) if for no other reason than to relieve the boredom. 

• Love 7

Question: Is the school or pediatrician allowed to get involved or call Child Protective Services when a 10 year old child hits 200 pounds?? That seemed really alarming to me, and like something that should be acted upon immediately, not ignored for another 10 years while the child gets bigger and bigger. It sounds like all the mother did was yell at her to stop eating. But they obviously kept junk food in the house if she got that big that young.

In every state, teachers and physicians are both mandated reporters of child abuse and neglect. Not only are they allowed to report suspected child abuse or neglect, they are legally and ethically obligated to do so. That said, there are a lot of professionals in both categories who aren't clear about what they should report, when and to whom. Complicating matters is the fact that schools/hospitals/medical practices/etc. all have their own internal policies and procedures for reporting and sometimes suspected abuse or neglect doesn't get reported to the child welfare system because someone reports it to his/her supervisor and then it never moves up the food chain to a call being made.

All that said - removing children to care for obesity is almost unheard of. There was a case a few years back and it was very controversial. I don't know how it ever turned out. http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/11/obese_cleveland_heights_child.html

He seemed to actually care that her weight would kill her. Some of the men we've seen on this show want their women to stay big regardless the consequences. And if he is a chubby chaser, he probably doesn't have a lot to worry about. She will likely still be chubby two years from now, but a more healthy chubby, like 200 pounds or a little under.

I really liked Tim. It was really nice to see a positive relationship on this show. Unlike a lot of other partners on this show, Tim didn't seem threatened by her weight loss and he didn't seem to define himself by his role as a caretaker to her. He didn't have to do nearly as much as some of the other partners so maybe that's part of it; but her getting healthy didn't seem to feel like a loss of identity or role for him.

• Love 7

I think this should be an episode or individual that future my 600lb life particaipants watch. What made it good is this couple had a solid plan. They had planned multiple trips to Houston on their own, had relaible  transportation, found housing, and employment. For a couple that had previous struggles and certainly didn't look upper middle class, they were able to travel and move without whining about money or staying a seedy motels or living in a old trailer.  I also thought they had to be sharing a house, it shows since they were a quiet drama free respectful couple it is an option for people seeing Doctor Now. It seems like most past partciapants they were too into having their own space, their own stuff, having tons of family stay or pets. It weight loss is a priority for a year , sharing a clean nice  house in a safe quiet walkable neighborhood should be a priority over a pet or having your bed in the living room. 

The dietitian  really should be a requirement. I bet it is hard to get insurance to cover a dietitian. Having a dietitian go grocery shopping and to their home just once can really make all the difference. I had some renal issues and had to go on a special diet and I felt like I had to give up everything I loved. The dietitian was nice enough (since I was in a small rural hospital) to go to the grocery store with me. They asked me to put all my favorite items in the cart and then went and went though what I could have and then went around the store finally items similair to what I liked. I no longer have that health issue, but I still shop based on that one session with a dietitian. I was almost fully bedridden for a year and had several years of very limited activity and have been able to always keep my BMI under 25 because of the rules that dietitian gave me. It amazes me the insurance will pay for ambulance rides, pain pills, hospital stays to force weight loss, but make it hard to get a service of a dietitian or mental health providers.  Have we yet to see a story on my 600lb life that did not have some sort of abuse in it? or parent dying, or addiction aspect. Mental health care should be manditory too. What does a dietitian cost $150 a session? and therapy $125 a week, compared to 4-5k a day in the hospital and 25k plus on surgery?

• Love 10

So Alicia started out at...600 pounds and some change? It makes me wonder about the bed-bound patients on this show as compared to Alicia. Are some of the housebound folks simply unwilling to try to walk? Because Alicia seemed really uncomfortable, but she was able to bathe herself, drive, cook, etc. Or maybe it has to do with where the fat is located on one's body; i.e. if you have a huge, hanging apron, it's harder to walk.

When Alicia was telling Tim that talking to her mom made her want to eat, am I the only one who said, out loud, "Then stop talking to her for awhile!"? Not just me, right?

Edited by the-grey-lady
  • Love 7
18 minutes ago, the-grey-lady said:

So Alicia started out at...600 pounds and some change? It makes me wonder about the bed-bound patients on this show as compared to Alicia. Are some of the housebound folks simply unwilling to try to walk? Because Alicia seemed really uncomfortable, but she was able to bathe herself, drive, cook, etc. Or maybe it has to do with where the fat is located on one's body; i.e. if you have a huge, hanging apron, it's harder to walk.

When Alicia was telling Tim that talking to her mom made her want to eat, am I the only one who said, out loud, "Then stop talking to her for awhile!"? Not just me, right?

Alicia didn't seem to wallow in being a victim like most of the others we see on this show. She acknowledged that she was the only one that could fix herself and didn't want or expect Tim to cater to her every need. She didn't want or expect Tim to have to bathe her and said that would have humiliated her. She admitted she was ashamed of buying all that fast food, eating 90% of it and telling Tim she'd just stopped for dinner for the two of them. She said if she wanted food, she needed to go get it, not someone else. The self awareness and willingness to say that she'd done this to herself is what set her apart for me. Most of the people we see on this show act like they have no idea how they got to 600+ pounds and being unable to wipe their own ass or shower themselves somehow just happened to them and now they're this poor victim that needs as much care as a newborn. They get off on being a helpless victim and enjoy manipulating those around them. Does that make sense? LOL

Also, Alicia didn't have the enormous lymphedemas so many do and that helped with her mobility. 

• Love 19
On 1/25/2018 at 8:41 AM, kj4ever said:

Also I would think someone that is that size has probably tried a diet or two in their lifetime.  How come a professional has to show them what a freaking serving is?  How to measure it?  She just didn't want to do it is all.

My sister was quite big. Like really big, but not 600 lbs. Her weight was finally getting to her and I told her I had stopped eating meat, told her about fat, reading labels, etc. She has several years of college. She was an assistant manager and then manager of local branches of a national retail chain. She isn't stupid. She didn't read labels because she didn't want to. She wanted to eat what she wanted to eat and nutrition, calories, etc. didn't matter to her. She never tried to diet and never had a problem getting guys attracted to her, before, during, and after her marriage. I think there are more people out there like that then we think. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, silverspoons said:

The dietitian  really should be a requirement. ... It amazes me the insurance will pay for ambulance rides, pain pills, hospital stays to force weight loss, but make it hard to get a service of a dietitian or mental health providers.  

As I mentioned on Lee and Rena's board, many grocery chains have dietitians. If the bariatric surgeon only gives you a list of yes and no foods, you can take that to the store and get help. That said, I don't think we are seeing the whole picture. Unless Dr Now runs his outfit very differently from other bariatric clinics, there is a dietitian, there are are support groups, etc.  I've looked at different clinics all over the web and they all seem to offer a variety of support options for their patients.  For example, I order meals from HMR, which has programs in many hospitals (of course, none near me) where people can talk about how things are going with their food, get recipe ideas, etc.

Maybe there is an element of shame here - the dietitian sweeps in, shows you how stupid you are, and hauls out bags of your food. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to be done that way.  Btw - the HMR foods are good, only take a minute to cook, and don't have to be refrigerated. I like them for traveling, an emergency meal at work, and they have vegetarian options. I'm not being paid by them. : )

• Love 5
On 1/26/2018 at 9:19 PM, silverspoons said:

I think this should be an episode or individual that future my 600lb life particaipants watch. What made it good is this couple had a solid plan. They had planned multiple trips to Houston on their own, had relaible  transportation, found housing, and employment.

They obviously had more resources than so many others.  
Alicia, because of how and where she carried her weight, didn't have the mobility problems of many others, and Tim seemed to a good job, in an occupation that let him find a job elsewhere.
They had the money to rent a decent place to stay, also.
Some others have been able to do this also, but more just weren't able to do these things.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 2

Many people have arthritis which causes joint problems made much worse by weighing 600 pounds. Some of that is genetic. I developed severe spinal issues in my early 50’s partially due to arthritis and my friends mom has only a little arthritis at 93. I have difficulty standing or walking and don’t weigh anywhere near the people on this show. I think many of them have joint tearing and lymphodema and really can’t move much.

I watch the show but also think there will be limited success unless things like depression and chronic pain are dealt with along with just telling people to lose weight.

I am also sensitive to people being called lazy if they are not very mobile. I am still able to work but will probably end up in a wheelchair within 10 years and I am far from lazy, just in pain.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

Many people have arthritis which causes joint problems made much worse by weighing 600 pounds. Some of that is genetic. I developed severe spinal issues in my early 50’s partially due to arthritis and my friends mom has only a little arthritis at 93. I have difficulty standing or walking and don’t weigh anywhere near the people on this show. I think many of them have joint tearing and lymphodema and really can’t move much.

I watch the show but also think there will be limited success unless things like depression and chronic pain are dealt with along with just telling people to lose weight.

I am also sensitive to people being called lazy if they are not very mobile. I am still able to work but will probably end up in a wheelchair within 10 years and I am far from lazy, just in pain.

I'm 57 and have terrible arthritis all over my body particularly my fingers. I can barely use them they are swollen up with nodes, it's Osteo not Rhuematoid but my fingers have large bone spurs  My dad had the same. So you are right, not everyone gets it. I also have trouble with my ankles and feet but I'm very athletic although things are beginning to get close to impossible for me.  And there is no cure.  I can barely do anything with my hands anymore.  But yeah, Alicia was a breath of fresh air. We are so used to the partner being a complete jackass. It does surprise me how she waited so long to do anything about it. Usually I think the bad family dynamic situations and the bad finances allow the person to go up to 600-700 pounds before seeking help. Im just surprised she didn't try to fix this at 500 pounds considering her resources, her supportive husband and self-awareness.

• Love 4
On 1/26/2018 at 11:55 PM, auntjess said:

They obviously had more resources and so many others.  
Alicia, because of how and where she carried her weight, didn't have the mobility problems of many others, and Tim seemed to a good job, in an occupation that let him find a job elsewhere.
They had the money to rent a decent place to stay, also.
Some others have been able to do this also, but more just weren't able to do these things.

I also notice she was not plagued with  lymphedema like most of the emobil overweight  patients are... The key keep going and dont just lay in bed ,,

Edited by AVM
  • Love 2
On 1/26/2018 at 10:31 PM, aliya said:

My sister was quite big. Like really big, but not 600 lbs. Her weight was finally getting to her and I told her I had stopped eating meat, told her about fat, reading labels, etc. She has several years of college. She was an assistant manager and then manager of local branches of a national retail chain. She isn't stupid. She didn't read labels because she didn't want to. She wanted to eat what she wanted to eat and nutrition, calories, etc. didn't matter to her. She never tried to diet and never had a problem getting guys attracted to her, before, during, and after her marriage. I think there are more people out there like that then we think. 

I think this is very common. People just really have no clue about the number of calories in what they eat. Labeling doesn't really help either, it's easy to look at my can of Monster Java Loca Moca and see calories are 120, so ok, it's 120 calories. Except it isn't. If you keep reading, you see that it is 2 servings, so it is actually 240 calories. There are a lot of things labeled this way - they are packaged in what you consider 1 serving, but they are actually 2, or 2 1/2 servings. Also, people are really bad at eyeballing servings. I am on the MyFitnessPal boards and had never even thought of using a food scale to actually weigh my foods. HUGE eyeopener! Yeah, that 2 tbsp of peanut butter that is supposed to weigh 33 grams? Yeah, more like almost double. So my little peanut butter sandwiches end up being a lot more calories than I ever imagined once I started weighing the bread (also more than it states on the package) along with the peanut butter and jelly. 

I kept thinking when she was putting her meals together that she needed a food scale - she put about 3 times the amount of hamburger she should have in those 2 patties. I can't believe they aren't taught this by the dieticians, especially when they are given such a restrictive diet. If I had to eyeball a 1200 calorie diet, I'd easily be over by 3-400 calories if I didn't weigh everything. 

The other thing about portion sizes that I struggle with - when I was a kid, we would have say spaghetti. That is all we would have - an entire dinner plate covered in spaghetti. That is legitimately what I always thought a serving of spaghetti was. Again, I was floored when I measured out 1 serving. (also really surprised that you are supposed to have something like a side salad with it, or veggies, because we never did.) About 1/5th of the dinner plate serving. Casseroles were the same way. We never really had sides with them, just large servings of the main dish. So that gets ingrained in you that that is the amount you should eat. 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Mollysmom said:

The other thing about portion sizes that I struggle with - when I was a kid, we would have say spaghetti. That is all we would have - an entire dinner plate covered in spaghetti. That is legitimately what I always thought a serving of spaghetti was. Again, I was floored when I measured out 1 serving. (also really surprised that you are supposed to have something like a side salad with it, or veggies, because we never did.) 

Oh man, tell me about the spaghetti. A few months before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I noticed that I would practically pass out after spaghetti - a plateful, as you mentioned. Once I started reading about portion size for starches as a diabetic, I was shocked at what was a portion of spaghetti. Jeez. Very depressing. : )

• Love 3

How refreshing to have "normal" people on this show! Love that Tim is so dedicated to Alicia and even though Alicia had struggles and issues, I admire her candor about it. I wish these two the best!

2 hours ago, aliya said:

Oh man, tell me about the spaghetti. A few months before I was diagnosed with diabetes, I noticed that I would practically pass out after spaghetti - a plateful, as you mentioned. Once I started reading about portion size for starches as a diabetic, I was shocked at what was a portion of spaghetti. Jeez. Very depressing. : )

I don't often eat noodles but when I do, the portion  is in a tiny bowl meant for miso soup. I take an hour to eat it, one noodle at a time, just to enjoy it. 

Edited by TurtlePower
Autocorrect is an asshole, thinks it knows everything.
  • Love 2

Watched the rerun earlier and gosh I liked her and Tim!  Her episode harkens back to the early seasons when I connected and liked the people (except Chuck).  I'm kind of surprised Alicia was accepted since she and Tim don't have the drama we've been exposed to.  

Now watching Janine, which is a different thread, but confirms my thoughts about not liking nor connecting.  

I'm officially Team Alicia and Tim!

• Love 5

Ref. the pasta struggle.   I recommend measuring, so you see just what 1 serving is, and using Whole Wheat pasta.  It's very tasty and for some reason the organic is even more tasty.  Not sure why.  It doesn't run your blood sugar up as high and as quick as regular pasta, imo. I'm Type I. 

I found her really annoying, personally.  I'm glad it worked out for her, but if Tim walks out the door- she's 600 lbs again, guaranteed.  She can't exist in life without Tim.  I honesty believe that.  He was her sole motivation for losing weight.  What about YOURSELF, your own life?  She can't even take a walk without him, and people think this is healthy?  Call off work so I can take a walk?  Excuse me?  Bitch is clearly insane.

It really rubbed me the wrong way that everything was about "the fat girl."  No one would believe a fat girl got raped.  No one would believe a fat girl would be in pain.  It went on and on.  I found her to be one of the biggest self-sympathy seekers on the show.  Can't get on a scale because she was traumatized by fat camp.  Mother is mean for wanting her to lose weight.  I don't understand what a portion size is.  Hello- there's videos on the internet explaining this exact concept.  Order a book on nutrition.

Like I said, she will do okay in life as long as Tim is there.  That says a lot about her character and strength as a person.  

• Love 6
On 1/26/2018 at 11:04 PM, lovesnark said:

Also, Alicia didn't have the enormous lymphedemas so many do and that helped with her mobility. 

I agree that a major part of Alicia's mobility was that she didn't have the typical misshapen legs many others do and that her ankles and feet were fairly normal looking.

• Love 1

A favourite quote of mine is from Susan Pierce Thompson, “I am a constitutionally fat person.  With a food scale.”

I have been so used to weighing, measuring and recording foods through my long experience with Weight Watchers and other diet plans that I forget others have no clue at all.  I could not believe what Alicia was eating that she thought was on her plan, despite not making progress when she was weighed.  A cheap scale and a free smartphone app would have sorted that out quickly. 

• Love 3

Like so many others have said, I really liked this episode. Alicia got off to a slow start but was the most normal person this show has ever shown IMO. She was talked about the body pain she experienced without pitching a fit, crying and wailing, and causing a commotion. Although she was definitely cheating I'm the beginning, Alicia took responsibility and pulled it together. Tim seems to genuinely care about her and was quite supportive. I had no problem with Alicia reflecting on how her mom contributed to her problems as a child-Alicia was ready to acknowledge it and start to move past it. 

When they moved to Houston, didn't Alicia say Tim dropped the dog off at her parents' house? When she went to visit with her mom I was anticipating a nice doggy reunion. Where was the dog??!!??!!

• Love 4

Just saw this on my Google news feed, an interview with Alicia from Newsweek

https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsweek.com/my-600-pound-life-alicia-weight-loss-update-where-now-796427%3famp=1#ampshare=http://www.newsweek.com/my-600-pound-life-alicia-weight-loss-update-where-now-79642

There's a photo of her walking around the grocery store. That is one thing that did impress me with her, she did not just lay in bed, she actually even drove.

I broke my foot recently, actually broke the big toe off of the foot with 2 fracture on the top of the foot. I'm in a boot, awaiting surgery to put the toe back, but they have to wait for the other fractures to heal. The pain is unbearable in the morning. I was thinking last night about these people who would use this as an excuse to stay in bed & eat. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, alegtostandon said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsweek.com/my-600-pound-life-alicia-weight-loss-update-where-now-796427%3famp=1#ampshare=http://www.newsweek.com/my-600-pound-life-alicia-weight-loss-update-where-now-79642

There's a photo of her walking around the grocery store. That is one thing that did impress me with her, she did not just lay in bed, she actually even drove.

I broke my foot recently, actually broke the big toe off of the foot with 2 fracture on the top of the foot. I'm in a boot, awaiting surgery to put the toe back, but they have to wait for the other fractures to heal. The pain is unbearable in the morning. I was thinking last night about these people who would use this as an excuse to stay in bed & eat. 

You gonna fry some wontons in the meantime?

• Love 9
6 hours ago, alegtostandon said:

According to some on the show, this means you can literally never get out of bed again.  Ever.  I'm sorry.  Just find someone reliable to bring you friiiied rice and two egg rolls.  The type of person who will remember dessert.  You'll be fine.

• Love 8

Does anyone know if that plate of food that she served herself and boyfriend which resembled mashed potatoes was actually potatoes or mashed cauliflower.  Just curious.  It could have been either.  I'm just trying to envision why Alicia would have thought that a hefty serving of mashed potatoes for dinner and ON CAMERA was a good idea, when she had been given the diet.  I know, it's a struggle, but, a plate of mashed potatoes.  Oh well.....maybe, that's not what they were. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Does anyone know if that plate of food that she served herself and boyfriend which resembled mashed potatoes was actually potatoes or mashed cauliflower.  Just curious.  It could have been either.  I'm just trying to envision why Alicia would have thought that a hefty serving of mashed potatoes for dinner and ON CAMERA was a good idea, when she had been given the diet.  I know, it's a struggle, but, a plate of mashed potatoes.  Oh well.....maybe, that's not what they were. 

That reminds me of a story, I had gastric bypass and used to be on a discussion forum for patients, someone told a story about a friend who had it back when it was a new procedure. All she was told to eat afterwords was "soft food" so she basically lived on mashed potatoes and gained all the weight she lost back. That's why I get irritated when people claim they were not given a diet to follow, beacuse either they weren't or more likely they're just ignoring it...

• Love 3
On 2/1/2018 at 12:45 PM, Brooklynista said:

You gonna fry some wontons in the meantime?

On 2/1/2018 at 3:50 PM, Calicocats said:

According to some on the show, this means you can literally never get out of bed again.  Ever.  I'm sorry.  Just find someone reliable to bring you friiiied rice and two egg rolls.  The type of person who will remember dessert.  You'll be fine.

I'm sure Mr. Tostandon would get tired after, hmmmm, maybe 2 days...and that's being generous!  Don't get me wrong, he would do anything for me, and has in the past. I think about the time I had to have surgery after an accident I was in.  He told me he'd do the laundry. It was a work of art! Everything on hangars, folded beautifully, even the sheets, smelled wonderful! I was impressed until I discovered he took the laundry to a laundromat and paid them to do it!

I would have a very difficult time staying in bed for more than a day or two.  I was going to say that I am too controlling over how things are done, but Penny did a pretty good job of that from her kitchen/dining/bathroom bed.

• Love 3

Regarding being bedbound. When I was pregnant with my twins, I had to stay in bed for the last 4 months of the pregnancy. I was allowed to get up to use the bathroom and to shower. The only time I could go out was to go to the Dr. I could sit in the recliner, but only for 2 hours a day. I hated it.  My husband was amazing and had to do his job and everything at home too. I hated being helpless and having to lay there and do nothing.. I don't know how these people do it. It's like their motivation for doing anything just dies or something.  There are people who would give anything to be able to get up and walk and do basic chores. But these lazy fat asses just lay around for years. I don't get it. 

• Love 5
On 1/25/2018 at 8:10 AM, JDAlexander said:

That was a much-needed positive episode with likable people we could actually cheer for--so different from the usual patient.  She took responsibility for her food addiction, he was supportive without being enabling, they drove nice cars, no handicap stickers, good tooth-to-tattoo ratio and he had a job.  I can't remember any previous couple being so "average."  Gives me hope that Alicia will be successful and lead a fulfilling life.  

So glad I went back to read this thread. “Good tooth to tatoo ratio” is one I will add to my own personal checklist before allowing new peeps in my circle :)

Edited by CringeWatcher
I hate autocorrect
  • Love 2
On 1/25/2018 at 9:10 AM, JDAlexander said:

"good tooth-to-tattoo ratio" HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

It's astonishing to me how many of these patients and their enablers have tattoos.  I notice the same thing if I ever watch and episodes of Cops.  

Anyway, Alicia and her partner really seemed like they were going to make it.  I hope they become a subject of "where are they now" down the line.

On 2/6/2018 at 10:33 AM, QuinnInND said:

Regarding being bedbound. When I was pregnant with my twins, I had to stay in bed for the last 4 months of the pregnancy. I was allowed to get up to use the bathroom and to shower. The only time I could go out was to go to the Dr. I could sit in the recliner, but only for 2 hours a day. I hated it.  My husband was amazing and had to do his job and everything at home too. I hated being helpless and having to lay there and do nothing.. I don't know how these people do it. It's like their motivation for doing anything just dies or something.  There are people who would give anything to be able to get up and walk and do basic chores. But these lazy fat asses just lay around for years. I don't get it. 

I think the answer is that they're addicted to food and being cared for. You could ask the same question about why a heroin addict spends all day finding stuff to steal so he can go shoot poison into his veins.  They're addicts.

Dr Now used to use the words "addict" and "addiction" in early seasons. I haven't heard him say it in a while.

• Love 3
On 1/25/2018 at 2:17 PM, calpurnia99 said:

I was an average weight kid but I loved to eat and I loved food. My mother told me years later that she was always concerned that I would get fat so she had to try to limit food and hide food from me. I think it made me even more obsessed with it. I look at photos and I was not skinny or thin but I certainly was not fat at all. I also remember trying to fit myself into one of the categories - around age 7- am I fat or am I skinny? I was normal weight.

Anyway my father loved to eat and he had a pot belly, he was about 15-20 pounds overweight. My mother used to yell at him when he would try to get seconds at dinner time. She was always on him about going on a diet. My mom is one of these people who doesn't really care for food, she likes it and enjoys it,  but does not understand overeating or snacking. She has never ONCE in her life eaten out of emotion or stress or boredom. Food does not enter into her life in that way.  She eats 3 meals a day. She has never pigged out or binged EVER..... My sister and I have struggled. As soon as I was an adult and could eat as much as I wanted to, I did! I also remember saying as a kid - when I have my own kids I'll give them candy whenever they want it!"- I stuck to my word, but then again I had 3 skinny as rail sons.  Her limiting the food and worrying all the time about me and my sister getting fat really messed up my relationship to food. I was always saying "I'm hungry or I'm starving" and she would respond "If you're hungry eat an apple" lol I can still hear that, she must have said it thousands of times! Then when I was in High School I was about ten pounds over weight and my mother sent me with my father to Weight Watchers. I did feel like she didn't love me if I were fat. Whenever I would lose weight she would say "You look beautiful" when I got really skinny. I can understand Alicia that you feel like your mother sees you only as what you weigh. I have a letter from my mother she wrote to me at camp when I was 11- all the girls were getting "care packages" of candy and cookies in the mail. I asked her to send me one too. She wrote: It's bad for your teeth, it's bad your health, it makes you fat and you can stand to lose a few pounds anyway!"

Awe, you're mom's letter, instead of a care package....made me sad.  I'm sorry.

• Love 1
On 1/26/2018 at 9:48 AM, Pondlass1 said:

Not just ONE jar of mayo.  One opened jar, two of those squeeze containers, and an unopened jar in the pantry.

Regarding them living with someone, there were 4 cars at the house when she left to visit her parents.

I was sooo happy to see Alicia’s Story. She took responsibility, worked on the root of her problems, and had great support. She willingly admitted her food addiction and that she was eating way to much. I have also had similar struggles trying to make a diet work. I didn’t find the right one until I was 33! Tim seemed like a really caring guy who understood her struggle. Personally, I was glad to see the nutritionist 1- to show her proper serving sizes and 2- so she could no longer use portion size as a reason she was failing. I really hope she succeeds. I agree that it was nice to see someone who wasn’t a train wreck.

• Love 2