Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E03: Alicia's Story

• Start Topic

A devoted girlfriend and loving aunt, Alicia is all smiles and laughter on the outside, but on the inside she is terrified that her addiction to food will kill her before she can marry her long-time love or watch her nieces grow up. 

This is the regular episode thread.  This will open after the show airs on the US East Coast. 

I did like Alicia. It was nice to see that she wanted to do things for herself and without a scooter. I hope that she and her boyfriend are able to make things work. Since he knows all about addiction and its trappings, perhaps he will aid in keeping her honest and on the right path going forward. Watching her eat that entire box of donuts made me incredibly uncomfortable. It was like she cracked open a big box of diabetes. She seemed like a genuinely sweet person and it's refreshing to see a patient who is not combative towards Dr. Now. That man puts up with a lot.

What kind of house did they move into in Houston? She mentioned it was fully furnished and all they had to do was move their belongings in, but it looked like someone was living there. There was clutter everywhere and children's drawings which suggested that a family owned the home. A short-term rental, maybe?

• Love 5

These people seem too normal and well adjusted to be on this show. After last week's episode of Janine using her scooter in the McDonald's drive thru, this episode was truly lacking in snark and memorable moments. 

She did her own shopping, made her own food, kicked back with donuts she bought herself, wiped her own ass, wore shoes, undergarments, drove herself to Houston like ... I'm not used to patients with this kind of independence and determination. 
They better give us something good next week, or else! *shakes chubby fist* 

• Love 14
49 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I did like Alicia. It was nice to see that she wanted to do things for herself and without a scooter. I hope that she and her boyfriend are able to make things work. Since he knows all about addiction and its trappings, perhaps he will aid in keeping her honest and on the right path going forward. Watching her eat that entire box of donuts made me incredibly uncomfortable. It was like she cracked open a big box of diabetes. She seemed like a genuinely sweet person and it's refreshing to see a patient who is not combative towards Dr. Now. That man puts up with a lot.

What kind of house did they move into in Houston? She mentioned it was fully furnished and all they had to do was move their belongings in, but it looked like someone was living there. There was clutter everywhere and children's drawings which suggested that a family owned the home. A short-term rental, maybe?

Big box of diabetes! 

/winner/

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

That stood out to me, too. When she got in there there was a heart drawing pinned to the cabinets and the cabinet was full of glasses. There was clutter everywhere. There were also tons of family photos on the fridge. I think they moved in with someone.

Edited by missnoa
17 minutes ago, missnoa said:

That stood out to me, too. When she got in there there was a heart drawing pinned to the cabinets and the cabinet was full of glasses. There was clutter everywhere. There were also tons of family photos on the fridge. I think they moved in with someone.

It's possible they moved in with someone and didn't mention that, but I thought it could also be an air bnb.  My aunt and uncle stayed in one of those during the holidays when they went to visit family and it had furniture and dishes like someone was living there.  Maybe the owners did when it wasn't being rented out. I'm not really sure, though.

I wondered if Alicia wasn't getting SSI benefits like some of the others on this show and that's why her and Tim never married because she would lose her benefits.  They never said why they weren't married unless I missed that part.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, steff13 said:

I can't really hate Alicia or Tim.  They both seemed nice.  A pretty non- eventful episode.  

I know, my husband says the upbeat episodes are no fun.  He prefers a little excitement in them, like when Lupe broke the toilet, or “Ow Mah Legs”!  And ok, no point pussy- footing around, so do I!  If for no other reason than so I can snark on here with you guys!  I know I’m going to hell for saying that and I don’t care!

• Love 1

I remember when I was around 8, we moved from Houston back to Chicago suburbs.  My parents were  having a house built that took almost 2 years.  We rented a house where the owners were in Sweden for business for 2 years. Most of their belongs were locked in a storage area in the basement but do remember some items, like a grand piano, were left upstairs. 

I thought maybe the kids drawings were from her nieces who were mentioned in the show description.  Maybe I missed it but I don't remember seeing or hearing about these nieces.

It is so refreshing to see someone who is independent.  She is probably the first one in a long time I have really cheered for.

It seemed as if there was no connection between the boyfriend and the parents.

Edited by alegtostandon
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, alegtostandon said:

It is so refreshing to see someone who is independent.  She is probably the first one in a long time I have really cheered for.

Me too! 

I really like Tim too. He seems to really love and care for her and wants to see her happy and healthy.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, AntAnn said:

Me too! 

I really like Tim too. He seems to really love and care for her and wants to see her happy and healthy.

I agree, AntAnn. I was afraid at the beginning it was going to be revealed that he was supplying her with the "snacks" or seemed resentful that she was wanting to lose weight, but he was very supportive in helping her deal with her emotions and questioning her portions. 

I bought 1 donut each for Mr. Tostandon & myself today.  I did lose my appetite for it after watching her eat a dozen.  

• Love 3

Awww, this was the middlin' episode with no real drama.  It had all the normal stuff - boyfriend with a job, she was mobile and they lived in a nice area.

Nice lady, but why didn't it look as if she lost any weight even after 100+ pounds lost?

• Love 2

I haven't watch the whole episode yet. I have it on my DVR and watched part of it live last night. But I did like Alicia. She seemed to at least take responsibility for her issues. And Tim seemed okay too.

Question: Is the school or pediatrician allowed to get involved or call Child Protective Services when a 10 year old child hits 200 pounds?? That seemed really alarming to me, and like something that should be acted upon immediately, not ignored for another 10 years while the child gets bigger and bigger. It sounds like all the mother did was yell at her to stop eating. But they obviously kept junk food in the house if she got that big that young.

Also, I am only about 150 pounds. Not skinny, but not huge. And there is no way I would shower naked on camera. It doesn't seem like any of the people on this show have modesty or embarrassment to not let TLC show their huge body in the shower. I wonder if TLC says they have to shower naked in front of cameras to get on the show?

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, Noirprncess said:

Awww, this was the middlin' episode with no real drama.  It had all the normal stuff - boyfriend with a job, she was mobile and they lived in a nice area.

Nice lady, but why didn't it look as if she lost any weight even after 100+ pounds lost?

I could tell she'd lost, but she's one of those people that carries a lot of weight in her face/neck.  She's going to have to lose a lot to lose that waddle under her chin, and I think she's always going to look heavy until that's gone.  

I kept waiting for Tim to became rude or abusive, but he wasn't, he was nice and supportive.  And Alicia went to her mom and had a grown-up conversation with her about her childhood issues instead of whining and making excuses for herself.  They all seemed like nice people, and I hope things work out well for them.

On question - in the rented house in TX, there was a child's drawing stuck to one of the cabinets that looked like it said, "I love you Mom and Dad."  They don't have kids, do they? 

• Love 2

I liked Alicia and I wish her well! Her chin/apple shape/short height make it hard to see her weight loss.

My heart broke for her when she was recalling her sexual assault and said “who would believe me, fat girls don’t get raped”, poor thing. 

Her childhood pictures reminded me a lot of my own (although I was very tall for my age and had a slim face), it’s not until fat little girls hit puberty that the weight has anywhere to go. But I say this to say that I’m no near 600lbs, (low 200s), yes childhood obesity and trauma plays a part but not the entire story. 

She and her Mom had a good conversation, I also liked her boyfriend. I think she will be a success story. 

• Love 2

That was a much-needed positive episode with likable people we could actually cheer for--so different from the usual patient.  She took responsibility for her food addiction, he was supportive without being enabling, they drove nice cars, no handicap stickers, good tooth-to-tattoo ratio and he had a job.  I can't remember any previous couple being so "average."  Gives me hope that Alicia will be successful and lead a fulfilling life.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

I haven't watch the whole episode yet. I have it on my DVR and watched part of it live last night. But I did like Alicia. She seemed to at least take responsibility for her issues. And Tim seemed okay too.

Question: Is the school or pediatrician allowed to get involved or call Child Protective Services when a 10 year old child hits 200 pounds?? That seemed really alarming to me, and like something that should be acted upon immediately, not ignored for another 10 years while the child gets bigger and bigger. It sounds like all the mother did was yell at her to stop eating. But they obviously kept junk food in the house if she got that big that young.

Also, I am only about 150 pounds. Not skinny, but not huge. And there is no way I would shower naked on camera. It doesn't seem like any of the people on this show have modesty or embarrassment to not let TLC show their huge body in the shower. I wonder if TLC says they have to shower naked in front of cameras to get on the show?

How does anyone have a bathroom big enough for a film crew?

• Love 3

I certainly wasn't disappointed that the featured patient wasn't a train wreck.  I'm not amused or entertained by other's pain and suffering, so the less I see of that the better.  I was however, struck by just how obsessed with food that Alicia was.  In some ways, her obsession was just as severe as any we have seen featured on this show.  Her early resistance to the eating plan was an example.  Even after Dr. Now explained why HER WAY was not the way to go, she STILL would not follow the plan.  To me, her insistence on doing it her way remained a problem and I suspect it will continue to be one with her.  And, if she doesn't have Tim in her life......OMG...I don't know how she would survive.  It's a good thing he's a positive influence. 

Alicia bore similar resentment with her mother as Janine did from last week.  It seemed like her mom wasn't being mean to her about her weight, but, genuinely worried about her health and THAT'S the reason for the resentment.  I do happen to hold those parents responsible for the obesity of their young children.  And if she was 200 pounds at age 10, it was her parent's fault, since they buy it and serve it.  They allowed that to happen.  It's different with teens. I get that.  But, if she and mom have made amends, that's good.  My thoughts are that resentment with an abusive, alcoholic parent is more pressing than one who tried to help you with your eating plan. 

• Love 8

I hope that Tim is not secretly one of those men who is actually attracted to obese women.  He seemed supportive and wanted her to be healthy, active, etc. , but, he did fall for her when she was extremely large, so.....just saying.  Best wishes to them both. 

It was nice of TLC to cleanse our pallets after the past month of jaw dropping what-the-fuckedness, with a somewhat normal person who, despite her weight, dressed appropriately, put on make up, and had a very nice, supportive boyfriend/fiance who had....gasp.....A JOB.  PLUS, she didn't need to be catered to. She cooked her own meals, walked and drove herself around. She had the normal neurosis and addictions that come with the territory. But, no gross living conditions.  And NO APARTMENT COMPLEX OF DOOM. 

Which means we'll barely talk about it, it will generate zero buzz, and TLC will be back to showing us trainwrecks next week. 

• Love 11

Like others i haven't  seen the whole episode yet  , i caught the end  ,but will watch later ,,, I noticed her father was over weight  in photos and so is her Mother  now who Alicia's claimed made her "feel' bad about her weight as a child.. Bad eating habits start early in life ....200lbs is over weight for any woman no matter how tall unless she is a body builder  ,Alicia's weighs more than three six foot men .

13 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I certainly wasn't disappointed that the featured patient wasn't a train wreck.  I'm not amused or entertained by other's pain and suffering, so the less I see of that the better.  I was however, struck by just how obsessed with food that Alicia was.  In some ways, her obsession was just as severe as any we have seen featured on this show.  Her early resistance to the eating plan was an example.  Even after Dr. Now explained why HER WAY was not the way to go, she STILL would not follow the plan.  To me, her insistence on doing it her way remained a problem and I suspect it will continue to be one with her.  And, if she doesn't have Tim in her life......OMG...I don't know how she would survive.  It's a good thing he's a positive influence. 

Alicia bore similar resentment with her mother as Janine did from last week.  It seemed like her mom wasn't being mean to her about her weight, but, genuinely worried about her health and THAT'S the reason for the resentment.  I do happen to hold those parents responsible for the obesity of their young children.  And if she was 200 pounds at age 10, it was her parent's fault, since they buy it and serve it.  They allowed that to happen.  It's different with teens. I get that.  But, if she and mom have made amends, that's good.  My thoughts are that resentment with an abusive, alcoholic parent is more pressing than one who tried to help you with your eating plan. 

I did not find her as likable as many of you did.  I mean compared to the shit show we have been seeing she was an angel, but I agree that she seemed way more hard on her Mom than her drunk ass Dad.  I can't imagine being a parent in a situation like that.  Sounds like Grandma was the one feeding her.  It also rubbed me the wrong way with the whiney "Mom was working so she wasn't there for me".  Yeah, Mom was working to put a damn roof over your head you ungrateful twit.

Also I would think someone that is that size has probably tried a diet or two in their lifetime.  How come a professional has to show them what a freaking serving is?  How to measure it?  She just didn't want to do it is all.

• Love 3

It always begins with the person waking up and waddling to the bathroom and the audience is then treated to 5 minutes of a morbidly obese person showering  while they commiserate on their sad state of life.  Even the shower curtain is see-through so we  see every massive inch.  This happens at the start of most all episodes. There must be some contract arrangement between the 600 pound subject and the network - because who would do this?

I wish they'd stop this practice.  It's an intrusion not to mention the suffering of the poor camera crew. We can see all the layers of fat.  We don't need our eyeballs rubbed in it.  No more shower scenes please.

And why oh why do they wait until months have gone by before a nutritionist is enlisted to help?  This should be in place before surgery surely when they're told to lose 50 pounds in a month?  Although  TV is filled with diets and healthy eating info, these people don't seem to have a clue.  Two big hamburger patties, with salad?  And not eating breakfast?  And those first scenes where she eats a whole box of donuts in one sitting - that sugar load would kill most people stone dead.  How did she not have diabetes (type 2)?

The house must've been an Airbnb but whose food was in the fridge?   Odd that all the kids' drawings were not removed?

Anyway, all the best to Alicia and Tim.  I'm so accustomed to the crazy - I was assuming for a while Tim was one of those fatty fetish guys and would sabotage her.  But turned out he was decent.  Makes a nice change.

• Love 7

Yeah, Alicia did do quite a bit of whining, but, I suppose the show asks them to say some things that add interest or drama.   She just went on and on about how was she going to do it, what if it doesn't work out, what happens if she disappoints Tim, etc.  Well, I suspect that she was VERY concerned about those things, due to the fact that she was not following the plan.  She knew that she wasn't really doing the things she was supposed to do and that's why she was so guilt ridden.  And, I was never impressed with much of a weight loss in her.  I know what they said, but, to me, she never appeared to have lost much weight.  I hope she's doing well now.  Anyone know?  I switched the channel and didn't see if they put up a current status on her journey.  

I've never heard of street vendors having sugar free hot chocolate before.  Hmm......

And, who in the world is going on that journey WITHOUT A FOOD SCALE?  OMG.  You have to weigh your food in the beginning of a food plan to lose weight, imo.   Most people don't really know what 4 oz of meat is. 

REf. the salad dressing.  I know people who prepare a very healthy salad, but, then put at least a half cup of regular salad dressing on it.  And they know the calories.  It's bizarre. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, JDAlexander said:

That was a much-needed positive episode with likable people we could actually cheer for--so different from the usual patient.  She took responsibility for her food addiction, he was supportive without being enabling, they drove nice cars, no handicap stickers, good tooth-to-tattoo ratio and he had a job.  I can't remember any previous couple being so "average."  Gives me hope that Alicia will be successful and lead a fulfilling life.  

I agree.  I had to laugh at 'tooth-to-tattoo ratio.'  

Nikki was another one that was pretty independent, and I'd really like to see an update on her, too.  

Tim seems supportive and nice.  So good to see that, after that asshole from hell a couple of weeks ago (Lee.)  Tim didn't seem threatened at all by the progress Alicia made.  The ones that get paid to take care of the bedridden partner are the ones that really freak out, at the thought of the partner getting more independent.

I can't participate in the live chats (west coast here) so I read those ahead of watching the show.  I can't snark on this ep like so many we've seen last season and this one so far (that psycho Assanti, etc.)  Alicia has potential, and I wish the best for her, and Tim.

• Love 9

Unless I  missed it, I was surprised she wasn't working out more. She seems to be one of the most mobile people I've ever seen on this show, and that park they were walking in was lovely, not sure why she wouldn't conquer the boredom with a few walks per week, or at least get a DVD and do it in her house? Also, I gasped when she said she asked Tim to take a couple of days off work per week to walk with her. REALLY?? Miss out on a salary for a couple of days because she needs a walking partner? While she stays at home doing nothing??

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

While she stays at home doing nothing??

That was one thing that annoyed me about her.  The scene where she says she's bored being at home all day and she plops down to watch TV. Meanwhile in the background is a pile of laundry.  Later we see Tim folding the laundry.  

There are so many things she could do.    She could walk fine - and quite quickly too.  She also had a car and could drive.  So get off the sofa drive to a park and walk for 20 minutes. 

• Love 3

good tooth-to-tattoo

You win the Internet today. ROFL!!

I hope that Tim is not secretly one of those men who is actually attracted to obese women. 

He seemed to actually care that her weight would kill her. Some of the men we've seen on this show want their women to stay big regardless the consequences. And if he is a chubby chaser, he probably doesn't have a lot to worry about. She will likely still be chubby two years from now, but a more healthy chubby, like 200 pounds or a little under.

Yeah, Alicia did do quite a bit of whining, but, I suppose the show asks them to say some things that add interest or drama.   She just went on and on about how was she going to do it, what if it doesn't work out, what happens if she disappoints Tim, etc. 

She whined, but she also took responsibility for how this happened. She didn't heft blame off on everyone else, and she didn't start blaming Dr. Now for her failures as a lot of these people do. I think there is more hope for her than the average person who comes on this show.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah, Alicia did do quite a bit of whining, but, I suppose the show asks them to say some things that add interest or drama.   She just went on and on about how was she going to do it, what if it doesn't work out, what happens if she disappoints Tim, etc.  Well, I suspect that she was VERY concerned about those things, due to the fact that she was not following the plan.  She knew that she wasn't really doing the things she was supposed to do and that's why she was so guilt ridden.  And, I was never impressed with much of a weight loss in her.  I know what they said, but, to me, she never appeared to have lost much weight.  I hope she's doing well now.  Anyone know?  I switched the channel and didn't see if they put up a current status on her journey.  

I've never heard of street vendors having sugar free hot chocolate before.  Hmm......

And, who in the world is going on that journey WITHOUT A FOOD SCALE?  OMG.  You have to weigh your food in the beginning of a food plan to lose weight, imo.   Most people don't really know what 4 oz of meat is. 

REf. the salad dressing.  I know people who prepare a very healthy salad, but, then put at least a half cup of regular salad dressing on it.  And they know the calories.  It's bizarre. 

I have been in a weight loss program that was medically supervised and some of the heavier people in my group would lose 14lbs a week, and that’s what she lost in 2 months! So she was cheating big time! She bugged me and I’m not sure why, also she looked older than her mother

• Love 3

Yes she bugged me with the lying and cheating when Tim was at work. Then trying to say "I don't understand portions" because that is all Tim saw that could explain why she was not losing. When in fact if she was only eating no breakfast, a shake for lunch and 2 giant burgers with mayo for dinner, she would have lost the weight required! Because if she eats 3000 a day she would lose. I think Tim didn't realize. She probably went to great lengths too to throw out the trash.

On the show following I watched about the family fatties- OMG this 700 pound guy starts the diet and loses 30 pounds in 2 weeks and he has 2 months to lose 50- so he says - it's so easy and coming off so fast so I figure I'll easily make my goal so I can ease up a bit on the restrictions", as he was eating a huge fast food meal with orange juice and then he says "I gave up soda so this orange juice is fruit, how bad can it be"  OMG so he winds up gaining after the 2 months! Well it just shows the way the brain can rationalize anything! 

You can tell when they've cheated because they say "Im so nervous to get on the scale, what if I didn't lose, I did everything I was supposed to do" ..well if you did everything you were supposed to do, you will lose...oy vey iz mire

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

You win the Internet today. ROFL!!

He seemed to actually care that her weight would kill her. Some of the men we've seen on this show want their women to stay big regardless the consequences. And if he is a chubby chaser, he probably doesn't have a lot to worry about. She will likely still be chubby two years from now, but a more healthy chubby, like 200 pounds or a little under.

She whined, but she also took responsibility for how this happened. She didn't heft blame off on everyone else, and she didn't start blaming Dr. Now for her failures as a lot of these people do. I think there is more hope for her than the average person who comes on this show.

I think she put all the blame on her mom and from what I could gather her mom was concerned about her weight when she was younger because hello 160 pounds when you’re 7 or 10 or whatever she said IS NOT NORMAL, it wasn’t because she didn’t love you cause you weren’t skinny!!!!!! Mom had a weight problem and knew she didn’t want that for her daughter, and grandma is the one that used food to soothe her.

• Love 4

Just finished watching. First of all, HUGE props to Tim for consistent gainful employment. Their IL House was cute and that rental was lovely. 

I wholeheartedly liked them both. Their stumbles and mistakes seemed human rather than pathological. Even when Alicia was still in denial, she still seemed a good ways along the path of introspection and eventually a good chance for success. 

Alicia’s family also seemed nice. I am glad she cleared the air with her mom. I can imagine that, as a kid, it would have been easy to think her mom was harping on her relentlessly but now as an adult Alicia can understand what the actual concerns were. It was telling that her progress in all areas skyrocketed after the talk with her Mom. 

I was really glad to see her and Tim get out and start enjoying life. When she was heavier, I was frustrated that she just sat around the house, although I understand that depression can immobilize you. But she was pretty mobile even then, and had a car. I hoped she would at least get out and explore the city a bit (although I guess the car was uncomfortable, so maybe not).  Or get out and walk. Happy she finally did. 

Finally, I was pleased that they had social skills! They were all polite and also interacted appropriately with other people. I was especially glad to see how courteous they were with Dr Now. He in return was honest and blunt without having to scream at them. 

Why on earth does he not provide a dietician consult right off the bat??

13 hours ago, missnoa said:

I noticed that, too, but then she said they had been there a month. She had photos of kids in the Illinois house so maybe she also has their drawings. 

I liked the way she wore colors and pretty clothes, even when she wasn’t feeling great about herself. In her historical photos she wore a lot of pretty dresses. 

• Love 5

Maybe, I take for granted that you can figure out nutritional content, but, apparently, some people don't understand how to read nutritional content on a bottle or look up how many calories something has in it.  And even that a person who is embarking on such a journey would get a food scale, but, it's not that hard to google a lot of things about your food.  There are apps that would really help, so, I'm not so sure the patient needs a one on one nutritionist, but, I suppose it helps.  

I think I may be in the minority about my opinion of Alicia.  I still didn't get that she was all that honest about her food.  And she can't do activity without Tim.....I don't know.  I do wish her well, but, see it as quite shaky.  I'll look forward to an update. 

I'd like some therapist who can perhaps explain to these women who are carrying so much resentment that as a parent, you really are obligated to get them help when so obese.  They seem to take it as an attack, instead of medical intervention.  How could a doctor help the child, if they didn't weigh her and know what she weighed.  It's unfortunate that she has it all turned around, like they were trying to torture her.  The harmful acts were overfeeding her and placating her with food treats when she was very obese. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

I was an average weight kid but I loved to eat and I loved food. My mother told me years later that she was always concerned that I would get fat so she had to try to limit food and hide food from me. I think it made me even more obsessed with it. I look at photos and I was not skinny or thin but I certainly was not fat at all. I also remember trying to fit myself into one of the categories - around age 7- am I fat or am I skinny? I was normal weight.

Anyway my father loved to eat and he had a pot belly, he was about 15-20 pounds overweight. My mother used to yell at him when he would try to get seconds at dinner time. She was always on him about going on a diet. My mom is one of these people who doesn't really care for food, she likes it and enjoys it,  but does not understand overeating or snacking. She has never ONCE in her life eaten out of emotion or stress or boredom. Food does not enter into her life in that way.  She eats 3 meals a day. She has never pigged out or binged EVER..... My sister and I have struggled. As soon as I was an adult and could eat as much as I wanted to, I did! I also remember saying as a kid - when I have my own kids I'll give them candy whenever they want it!"- I stuck to my word, but then again I had 3 skinny as rail sons.  Her limiting the food and worrying all the time about me and my sister getting fat really messed up my relationship to food. I was always saying "I'm hungry or I'm starving" and she would respond "If you're hungry eat an apple" lol I can still hear that, she must have said it thousands of times! Then when I was in High School I was about ten pounds over weight and my mother sent me with my father to Weight Watchers. I did feel like she didn't love me if I were fat. Whenever I would lose weight she would say "You look beautiful" when I got really skinny. I can understand Alicia that you feel like your mother sees you only as what you weigh. I have a letter from my mother she wrote to me at camp when I was 11- all the girls were getting "care packages" of candy and cookies in the mail. I asked her to send me one too. She wrote: It's bad for your teeth, it's bad your health, it makes you fat and you can stand to lose a few pounds anyway!"

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Maybe, I take for granted that you can figure out nutritional content, but, apparently, some people don't understand how to read nutritional content on a bottle or look up how many calories something has in it.  And even that a person who is embarking on such a journey would get a food scale, but, it's not that hard to google a lot of things about your food.  There are apps that would really help, so, I'm not so sure the patient needs a one on one nutritionist, but, I suppose it helps.  

I think I may be in the minority about my opinion of Alicia.  I still didn't get that she was all that honest about her food.  And she can't do activity without Tim.....I don't know.  I do wish her well, but, see it as quite shaky.  I'll look forward to an update. 

I'd like some therapist who can perhaps explain to these women who are carrying so much resentment that as a parent, you really are obligated to get them help when so obese.  They seem to take it as an attack, instead of medical intervention.  How could a doctor help the child, if they didn't weigh her and know what she weighed.  It's unfortunate that she has it all turned around, like they were trying to torture her.  The harmful acts were overfeeding her and placating her with food treats when she was very obese. 

I don’t think that “adult Alicia” had a problem with her Mom being concerned about her weight as a child, however people cannot deny that physical appearance (including weight) is STRONGLY linked to a woman/girl’s self worth in this culture.

I am NOT jumping on the Mom (she had every right to be concerned and want to get Alicia medical treatment, she was a single mother trying to keep a roof over their head), but I see how “child Alicia” who had to deal with constant images, words, attitudes that being heavy made her “less than” her peers and with her Mom focusing on her weight, she internalized that to mean “even my Mom thinks I am “less than”.” In my experiences when you are fat kid EVERYONE (yes adults too) think your weight is their concern. I had more adults say mean spirited things to me as a child than I do now as an adult (probably cause 1. There are more heavy people now so I don’t stick out as much, 2. I child cannot tell an adult in a position of power to f-off and Mind their business).

Think about the way she saw her self- she felt that “fat girls don’t get raped”.....what in the ever loving world?!! That right there broke my heart! So either 1. Her weight meant she was so sexually repulsive she wouldn’t get raped (never mind elderly women and mentally disabled people are raped) or 2. Because she was fat she should be THANKFUL for any sexual attention she got and wasn’t entitled to autonomy? Because her crush spent time with her he was titled to use her body how he wanted?

I have mentioned on other boards how my father prepared me for how the world treats fat people (he acknowledged the struggles I would have as a WOMAN to boot) but he proclaimed he would NOT have me hate myself no matter how much I weighed. 

I can see how someone who’s prone to “over eating” and chubbiness gets into a depressive episode and gets bigger and bigger. Hindsight is 20/20 but maybe after grandma passed they could talked to child Alicia and figure out she was depressed and needed help rather than treat her weight as a moral failure.....at 10yrs old. 

Adult Alicia is 100% responsible for herself and her choices- not Mom, not Grandma, not anyone else, but I think a part of taking that responsibility is doing the emotional work around your issues with food- which it seemed like she as trying to do. 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, JDAlexander said:

That was a much-needed positive episode with likable people we could actually cheer for--so different from the usual patient. 

Fine, as long as they don't make a habit of it.

7 hours ago, Kellyee said:

I wonder if TLC says they have to shower naked in front of cameras to get on the show?

I've heard that here somewhere.  And I'm old enough to remember when "shower scene" conjured up Janet Leigh in Psycho, not Nicole on the back porch.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 3

Granted, obesity is a complex issue.  There is so much to be learned about it.  I don't think we know nearly just how complex it is.  And, it is certainly not a moral issue.  I think that sometimes people are held in contempt for being obese.  That's so unfortunate.  Regardless of issues with food, there shouldn't be fat shaming, imo.  Maybe, I'm too sensitive about that, but, I felt that way since I was little. I was never overweight in school, but, I never liked it when I heard those who were getting teased.  I didn't like teasing of any type.  My best little friend (a boy)  was called sissy. I threatened to beat them up for it!  lol  And I wasn't much of a fighter.  lol

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6

I was concerned when she was hardly losing at the start of the episode, but I really liked her in the end. I was hoping the episode would end with Tim proposing, but alas. Maybe in a follow-up episode.

I feel like this episode was kind of a return to the air of the first season, where the people aren't awful and they have some success. I thought Tim would turn evil but he didn't. I thought Alicia would sit around whining, but she didn't, at least not as bad as others. A relatively wholesome episode all around.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, JDAlexander said:

**dead**  hehe!

Don't get me wrong, I love snark as much as anyone else, but I have to admit that I really enjoyed the relative normalcy of this episode.  It didn't surprise me that Alicia struggled at first and continued to hide her eating; she was so deep in her addiction and so in love with food. It  took her longer to get there but I'm glad she did.

I liked Tim, but part of me kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm glad it never did!  I hope Tim is a case of "what you see is what you get; he seemed to be a genuinely good guy. He was probably one the most "normal" partners I've ever seen on this show.

• Love 10

Just watched  it, Good show,not too much poor me or oh the pain of it all, a nice change ,Amazing at 5 ft 3  that she could walk weighing over 600ibs, I also noticed she walked while shopping for groceries too and did not use a store scooter..  I hope she makes it...and Tim and Alicia walk down the aisle one day.

Edited by AVM
  • Love 6