Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 1/15/18

buffynut
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Blissfool said:

I apologize if I am misunderstanding your words, but isn't that what we do: we thank people for their military service; for putting themselves in danger, sacrificing their lives while fighting for our rights as Americans?

As a kneejerk reaction the minute you meet them in ANY context? Rob Riggle wasn't there as a military member, he was there as a celebrity co-host. And Meghan heard the magic word, "military," and interrupted the flow of conversation to thank him. For all she knows, he got a dishonorable discharge. For all she knows, he was court-martialed. (I'm not implying either, btw.) If she routinely thanked ex-cops, ex-firefighters, security guards, etc., the minute she met them in any context, I would give her a pass on this. But she feels she "has to thank" (her words) any military member, current or past, because she comes from a military family, and that's weird to me. Thank someone who's there in the context of his or her service, and I'm right there with her. But as someone from a military family as well, I think it's just a little presumptive and obsessive of her.

• Love 16
On 1/16/2018 at 10:48 AM, Former Nun said:

Sometimes I wonder just how LONG she was a prosecuter, what her reputation was, and WHY she no longer has the job.  There are so many thing about sex/ramifications she doesn't seem to understand.

From Wikipedia:

Hostin began her career as a law clerk to retired Chief Judge of the Maryland Court of Appeals Robert M. Bell. She later became a trial attorney in the U.S. Department of Justice's Antitrust Division. Hostin left the Antitrust Division to become a federal prosecutor, specializing in child sex crimes. Hostin was awarded a Special Achievement Award for her successful prosecution of sex offenders.

She is also Senior Legal Correspondent and Analyst for ABC News.

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

As a kneejerk reaction the minute you meet them in ANY context? Rob Riggle wasn't there as a military member, he was there as a celebrity co-host. And Meghan heard the magic word, "military," and interrupted the flow of conversation to thank him. For all she knows, he got a dishonorable discharge. For all she knows, he was court-martialed. (I'm not implying either, btw.) If she routinely thanked ex-cops, ex-firefighters, security guards, etc., the minute she met them in any context, I would give her a pass on this. But she feels she "has to thank" (her words) any military member, current or past, because she comes from a military family, and that's weird to me. Thank someone who's there in the context of his or her service, and I'm right there with her. But as someone from a military family as well, I think it's just a little presumptive and obsessive of her.

Ok. I understand what you're saying. However, I have heard/seen people interrupt a random stranger out in public to thank them for their service just because they're wearing a certain pin or hat. 

Eh, Meghan has done/said way worse things so I'll just let this moment in which she showed gratitude pass. Can't fault her with everything, can we ??

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

Eh, Meghan has done/said way worse things so I'll just let this moment in which she showed gratitude pass. Can't fault her with everything, can we ??

I'm eager to see if she falls all over herself thanking Denis Leary for being a brave former firefighter next time he's on the show in any context. If she does, I'll... hmmm.... not get a tattoo of her... okay, I'll make a donation to a veterans' organization.

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

I'm eager to see if she falls all over herself thanking Denis Leary for being a brave former firefighter next time he's on the show in any context. If she does, I'll... hmmm.... not get a tattoo of her... okay, I'll make a donation to a veterans' organization.

Denis Leary is the best! I'll hv to watch!

(As if I ever miss a day!)

• Love 6

MM's thanking of Rob Riggle for his military service was to focus attention on MM's brother being in the military and her father having served in order to show that she and her family are ultra-patriotic.  Had little to nothing to do with Rob Riggle or genuine appreciation.  Along the lines of her pointing out the large flag in her home during the makeover segment.

Can't stand the blind party defense (lies, excuses, irrational explanations) for Trump and his terrible, unpresidential behavior by all Republicans, especially MM.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 20

Sunny made a good point re the DHS, that she perjured herself.  But I wished they had actually discussed this further.  Joy called her a liar like her boss.  But, why did she lie?  Everyone knows she lied.  If she had told the truth, what would have happened to her?  Her career destroyed?  Would Trump fire her for outing him whilst telling the truth?  And if so, would that really be a bad thing for her.  Instead they just focussed on the Norway answer, which certainly was embarrassing to her.  They should have focussed on the lie about what was actually said and her motives for doing so.

• Love 9

Today, MM appeared to agree with the Trump/Cotton/Perdue/Sessions immigration plan favoring white immigrants.  I wonder if as a child,  she felt that way about her adopted, Asian immigrant sister?

• Love 12
3 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Interesting that Sunny's worst nightmare is her son being accused of rape. Doesn't she have a daughter? So being accused of rape is worse than rape? This is why we need to smash the fucking patriarchy. SMDH

I found her comment odd as well. Her worst nightmare for her son should be that he commits a rape.

• Love 1

Okay, I almost bashed in my television set with MM being so frigging rude to Senator Durbin. I've had it. With the slurping and the hair arranging, I've had it with her. Seriously, she needs to go, can we start a nation wide petition somehow or another? Help me gals.  Oh, and can I just say that she is a total bitch, thank you, I feel better now. (not really)?

• Love 21
8 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

I bet she doesn't, she seems to like decor by hoarding..LOL

You may missed it when she said (and someone--I forgot who--agreed with her) that her house is very neat, and the reason her dressing room was cluttered was because of people giving her things.  I can totally understand.  My house is super neat, and my office space at work has all kinds of little tchotchkes that people have given me over the years as gifts (birthdays, Christmas, etc.).

• Love 14
1 hour ago, MaryHedwig said:

I found her comment odd as well. Her worst nightmare for her son should be that he commits a rape.

She said accused of Rape , big difference . I doubt she's all for her daughter getting Raped.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

Sunny routinely irritates me, and I think she regularly mentions her son to the exclusion of her daughter. I don't know her kids' respective ages, so I don't know if she is like that in deference to a (possible) teen girl's wishes, or if she just so blatantly favors her boy over her girl.

Regardless, my worst nightmare has never been that a child of mine would commit rape, because I can't even conceive of it. I've known these people since they first stirred inside of me. I know how I've raised them. They were the kids who got hit at pre-school. They didn't do the hitting. They were the kids who had to learn to fend off bullies. They didn't do the bullying. 

I don't think the average parent generally worries his or her kid would commit rape. In my experience, most "normal" parents worry about things happening to their kids, rather than that their kids will do something terrible.

Now clearly, plenty of people's kids do commit rape and other horrible acts. And all parents should talk to their children around issues of consent (giving consent and securing it). I just wouldn't think it was particularly healthy for a parent to be having nightmares (sleeping or the metaphorical waking kind) that his or her kid might rape someone. To me, that would mean either the parent has a fixation, or the kid is already troubled, is showing signs of such trouble, and ought to be already in treatment. 

So yeah, I don't see anything wrong with what Sunny said. I'm far more worried about my kids either being raped or being accused of that crime (or another crime), because I know them to be good people. I have no trouble believing that Sunny's son is probably the same and that her worries are similar to mine.

5 hours ago, atlantaloves said:

Okay, I almost bashed in my television set with MM being so frigging rude to Senator Durbin. I've had it. With the slurping and the hair arranging, I've had it with her. Seriously, she needs to go, can we start a nation wide petition somehow or another? Help me gals.  Oh, and can I just say that she is a total bitch, thank you, I feel better now. (not really)?

I'm still angry about her ridiculous display. I'm even more aghast. Turning her head and taking an sullen suck off her straw still has me dumbfounded. I'm kind of hoping the camera operator and director stayed on her, to show everyone exactly what kind of petulant child is now a co-host on a daytime network talk show. I no longer think she has enough class or skill to substitute on shows like Jerry Springer's. 

Edited by General Days
typo
  • Love 10
3 hours ago, Former Nun said:

"Thank you for your service."    I agree with ChicagoCita.   There are plenty of workers who need our thanks.  Americans started thanking the military for their service only after the Vietnam vets were so ill-treated.  Today it's almost  a rote response.   We should ALL be thanking our first responders whenever we see them.   As you go about your days' business, thank everyone who helps you, serves you, and allows you to carry on as usual.  I go out of my way to thank people working nights and holidays.

As a nurse, it always makes me feel so proud when someone thanks me for what I do to help people.

40 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

I bet she doesn't, she seems to like decor by hoarding..LOL

No, I have seen her homes on tv. Nothing like her dressing room. It didn't look that much hoarder like to me anyway.  I loved the rapport her and the decorator had.  Especially with the shoulder pads.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

As a nurse, it always makes me feel so proud when someone thanks me for what I do to help people.

No, I have seen her homes on tv. Nothing like her dressing room. It didn't look that much hoarder like to me anyway.  I loved the rapport her and the decorator had.  Especially with the shoulder pads.

People frequently get their homes tv ready, anyway I thought her dressing room resembled a tip..

Just now, choclatechip45 said:

I thought during the Dick Durbin interview she was trying to get some jabs in after Alicia said her father was part of the gang six with her Tom Cotton comment.

Possibly you're right , I often mute this show, at random times when they go on and on..:)

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

People frequently get their homes tv ready, anyway I thought her dressing room resembled a tip..

Possibly you're right , I often mute this show, at random times when they go on and on..:)

She did seem happy during the dressing room segment which was nice to see!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, imjagain said:

She said accused of Rape big difference . I doubt she's all for her daughter getting Raped.

This deserves repeating. She said accused of rape. Not that the worst thing would be to find out her son had raped someone (although that would be pretty terrible).

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, TheGreenKnight said:

This deserves repeating. She said accused of rape. Not that the worst thing would be to find out her son had raped someone (although that would be pretty terrible).

Exactly. 

I didn't find it odd because the discussion was about signing a consent form, then they went on to discuss if you sign it but change your mind . So obviously there is still a  grey area in which a man could still be accused.  Then WG went on her ridiculous rant about not being able to stop everything once it has started.  I can't stand when whoopi is the word of authority on complicated discussions.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 7

I wonder if part of the recurring problem with the conservative seat on this table is that they often bring in a conservative mouthpiece or wannabe pundit, rather than a media figure who happens to be conservative. Joy and Whoopi are very liberal, but Joy's a former teacher and a comedian, who happens to be liberal. Whoopi is a comedian, actor, and former talkshow host (she once had her own show), who happens to be liberal. 

Candace, for all my issues with her, was an actress who happens to be conservative. I don't think she was a good fit for this show, but like Raven (who was relatively progressive, if uninformed on a lot of stuff for a woman her age), I just don't think this was the right job for her, regardless of her political opinions. 

I still miss Nicolle Wallace, even though I'm liberal, because her commentary was fact-based. I think she should have been given a longer time to fit in and loosen up, but I don't care that she's gone, because I enjoy her MSNBC show.

Paula is pretty conservative, and while she can get on my nerves, she knows how to conduct herself. That's because of her experience. 

MM and Jed both have pundit-y pasts. I think they've learned too many bad habits at Fox News. It's too bad they can't find a conservative analogue to Joy or Whoopi who hasn't made a name as a mouthpiece for one political party.

Whatever. I want McCain gone yesterday. I'm nearly at the write-a-letter point. 

• Love 20
4 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Interesting that Sunny's worst nightmare is her son being accused of rape. Doesn't she have a daughter? So being accused of rape is worse than rape? This is why we need to smash the fucking patriarchy. SMDH

I don't think this is fair, honestly.  Sunny was not comparing one to the other.  People use "my worst nightmare"  to describe a scenario that they have feared happening.  It doesn't mean that other things can't be worse, there's no comparison.   

It's like,  you can't say your worst nightmare is rape, because, isn't murder worse?  are you saying rape is worse than murder?  what about getting hit by a train? isn't that worse? 

"worst nightmare"  just means - this is something I envisioned happening that would be terrible.  

• Love 22

Miss General, I am with you, I am going to write the network, and I think we seriously need to start a petition, I mean it. Oh, and I actually like Miss Wallace too....know why, because she hates Drumpt.  I use to hate her, NO MORE MY FRIEND.  She is one smart cookie.  ? 

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, choclatechip45 said:

I thought during the Dick Durbin interview she was trying to get some jabs in after Alicia said her father was part of the gang six with her Tom Cotton comment.

42 minutes ago, NeverLate said:

Alicia was polite, well-spoken, and to my memory didn't go on and on or really have too much to say. What made you mute the set when she was speaking? I'd go back and re-watch and try to figure it out for myself, but I know I can't stand to watch McCain's childish, petty antics, again. 

• Love 8
38 minutes ago, General Days said:

It's too bad they can't find a conservative analogue to Joy or Whoopi who hasn't made a name as a mouthpiece for one political party.

But they have found one.  Either they don't recognize the conservative treasure that occasionally occupies a seat at the table, or she doesn't want the job.  Ana Navarro.  I'm as liberal as they come, but I love that woman.  She doesn't spout party lines, but rather voices her own opinions, then backs them up with facts.  Plus she's funny!  A sense of humor should be mandatory for anyone on that panel because it can diffuse a lot of sticky situations that come up in conversation.  MM appears to have none.  Zero.  Zilch.  She is way, way too full of herself, as she demonstrated today.  She acted like the haughty spoiled brat that she probably is, and in all honesty I've been changing the channel more often than not after Hot Topics because she just ruins the whole show for me. 

I did enjoy the dressing room segment, and that's the most engaging I've ever seen Meghan be since she became a host.  I don't know, maybe she's just uncomfortable sitting on the end of the table and she just can't relax.  I've never seen such an uptight TV personality.  She almost makes William F. Buckley look like a party animal.

• Love 19
1 minute ago, Ladyrain said:

But they have found one.  Either they don't recognize the conservative treasure that occasionally occupies a seat at the table, or she doesn't want the job.  Ana Navarro.  I'm as liberal as they come, but I love that woman.  She doesn't spout party lines, but rather voices her own opinions, then backs them up with facts.  Plus she's funny!  A sense of humor should be mandatory for anyone on that panel because it can diffuse a lot of sticky situations that come up in conversation.  MM appears to have none.  Zero.  Zilch.  She is way, way too full of herself, as she demonstrated today.  She acted like the haughty spoiled brat that she probably is, and in all honesty I've been changing the channel more often than not after Hot Topics because she just ruins the whole show for me. 

I think Navarro's terrific (even though I don't share most of her political views, either), but every time she's brought up here, at least a couple of people chime in to say she doesn't want to relocate permanently from Miami to New York (and I can't blame her), so I didn't think it was worth bringing her up. I mean, I want a pony, too, but...

That said, I think it's because she had a career before becoming a Republican strategist (she has her J.D.) that she's better suited for the job, than just a wannabe mouthpiece like Bila or McCain (although I'd take Jed back for a guaranteed five years, if we could get rid of McCain after today's disgraceful conduct). 

Ana's professional background is a combination of Sunny's and Nicolle's. She's not trying to make her name specifically as a Republican shill. To me, that's where Bitsy, Jed, and MM all fell/fall down. Instead of speaking as people with conservative viewpoints, they speak as people trying to court the favor of partisan Republicans and the conservative infotainment complex. I never hear Joy and think, "Wow, she must have gotten talking points from the DNC." Today, it seemed like McCain started that question to Senator Durbin based on something Ronna Romney McDaniel fed her, verbatim. Part of me thinks she mistakenly thought Durbin was taking a dig at her father, instead of just accurately representing Senator McCain's efforts on immigration reform.

The rest of the current co-hosts have their faults, goodness knows, but they express how they feel about something (even when it's jumbled, or seems to miss the point, they are authentic). Ditto everyone else who has ever been worth watching on this show.

For everything I hated about Bila's rat-a-tat-tat style, she seemed to just be at the point where she was learning to be Jed, who happens to be conservative, when they dumped her for McCain. McCain, on the other hand, seems to be doubling down on her bad habits, instead of just being part of a conversation.

I'm aware I've talked too long and too much here today, so I'll (try to) shut up, now. Have I mentioned Meghan McCain's juvenile shenanigans really ticked me off, today? 

• Love 20
1 hour ago, General Days said:

I think Navarro's terrific (even though I don't share most of her political views, either), but every time she's brought up here, at least a couple of people chime in to say she doesn't want to relocate permanently from Miami to New York (and I can't blame her), so I didn't think it was worth bringing her up. I mean, I want a pony, too, but...

That said, I think it's because she had a career before becoming a Republican strategist (she has her J.D.) that she's better suited for the job, than just a wannabe mouthpiece like Bila or McCain (although I'd take Jed back for a guaranteed five years, if we could get rid of McCain after today's disgraceful conduct). 

Ana's professional background is a combination of Sunny's and Nicolle's. She's not trying to make her name specifically as a Republican shill. To me, that's where Bitsy, Jed, and MM all fell/fall down. Instead of speaking as people with conservative viewpoints, they speak as people trying to court the favor of partisan Republicans and the conservative infotainment complex. I never hear Joy and think, "Wow, she must have gotten talking points from the DNC." Today, it seemed like McCain started that question to Senator Durbin based on something Ronna Romney McDaniel fed her, verbatim. Part of me thinks she mistakenly thought Durbin was taking a dig at her father, instead of just accurately representing Senator McCain's efforts on immigration reform.

The rest of the current co-hosts have their faults, goodness knows, but they express how they feel about something (even when it's jumbled, or seems to miss the point, they are authentic). Ditto everyone else who has ever been worth watching on this show.

For everything I hated about Bila's rat-a-tat-tat style, she seemed to just be at the point where she was learning to be Jed, who happens to be conservative, when they dumped her for McCain. McCain, on the other hand, seems to be doubling down on her bad habits, instead of just being part of a conversation.

I'm aware I've talked too long and too much here today, so I'll (try to) shut up, now. Have I mentioned Meghan McCain's juvenile shenanigans really ticked me off, today? 

I, for one, love your post.  The whole thing.?

• Love 7

Hopefully someone new will be using the Americana dressing room . Really soon.  She was  channeling Bitsy "I'm a force to be dealt with " and she remained red for some time.  I've noticed the cup gulping for weeks.  

I loved how Joy's room turned out and her interaction with the designer . 

MM summed it well she and Joy are  entirely different human beings. Enough said. 

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

But they have found one.  Either they don't recognize the conservative treasure that occasionally occupies a seat at the table, or she doesn't want the job.  Ana Navarro.  I'm as liberal as they come, but I love that woman

I'm a liberal, also & I watch every time Ana is on.  She knows her stuff & has a great sense of humor.

3 hours ago, Ladyrain said:

I did enjoy the dressing room segment, and that's the most engaging I've ever seen Meghan be since she became a host. 

Maybe she can get a job at HGTV.

• Love 6
On 1/16/2018 at 3:14 PM, atlantaloves said:

No, old people don't always get flu shots kiddo. Just what everybody needs is a dose of the flu from a shot that won't work anyway. I wouldn't get one and they are free to old people like me.  Snort. ? God, I hope Joy is okay, maybe she just has a comedy gig?

I've had flu shots for over forty years & never had the flu (from the shot).  I have had the flu, before & after, but only two or three times in that time period.  Just sayin'.

Edited by Medicine Crow
Added "only" to add emphasis. LOL.
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Hopefully someone new will be using the Americana dressing room . Really soon.  She was  channeling Bitsy "I'm a force to be dealt with " and she remained red for some time.  I've noticed the cup gulping for weeks.  

I loved how Joy's room turned out and her interaction with the designer . 

MM summed it well she and Joy are  entirely different human beings. Enough said. 

I think that's great! We need that. Different points of view...

Edited by NeverLate
1 hour ago, ChicagoCita said:

I think the key to a good fit at the table is someone who's had some varied life experience. Sunny and Whoopi are both WOC who grew up in poverty and became successful. Joy has had an entire lifetime of experiences, as a Brooklyn kid, a single mom, a teacher, a struggling comedian, and of course decades on the show and hosting her own shows. Sara and Paula have news backgrounds. Rosie O and BaWa both were pioneers in their previous careeers.

When I think of the people who haven't worked out, they generally don't have varied life experiences to fall back on (and maybe I really mean I prefer people who are "well-rounded"). Poor Candace was sweet as pie, but really only had three subjects in her wheelhouse (Fuller House, her family, and her religion). Raven only really knew about "the industry." Aside from her time on Survivor, Elisabeth seemed to be a suburban housewife who was trotted out for the sole purpose of becoming Bill Geddie's conservative mouthpiece. Sherri had a lot of life experiences, but was (cringing) not smart enough to keep up with most discussions and didn't use her experiences to gain wisdom.

I generally find that the more you interact with different people and see situations that are different from your own, the more compassionate and understanding you are. Sadly, Meghan has chosen to live her 33 years in a bubble. And that makes her a Johnny One-Note at the table. I would normally feel more empathy for her, but her rudeness and "disgraceful conduct" to Sen. Durbin (great description, GeneralDays) makes me not like her much today.

For someone who takes offense when her father is treated without kid gloves, Miss Meghan sure decided to be an asshole to another United States Senator today. (slurp)

You make a very good point, about life experience. It's what annoyed me about Hasselbeck, and why I like Ana.  And Sunny, she is so opposite of me but I respect her opinions. She at least has experience and isn't a "political analyst" who does the fox parrot thing that Meghan does.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Tanichka said:

I'm a liberal, also & I watch every time Ana is on.  She knows her stuff & has a great sense of humor.

She reminds me of Brenda Vacarro.  Going way back hah. I don't know a lot about Brenda, but do know what she looked (looks?) like, and I see a lot in Ana

• Love 4

I remember Brenda Vaccaro! She had a husky voice which was sexy.  She and Michael Douglas were a thing for several years.  Love Ana and hope she can commute. 

Joy is so awesome. 

Edited by Tosia
Editing is important.
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, backformore said:

I don't think this is fair, honestly.  Sunny was not comparing one to the other.  People use "my worst nightmare"  to describe a scenario that they have feared happening.  It doesn't mean that other things can't be worse, there's no comparison.   

It's like,  you can't say your worst nightmare is rape, because, isn't murder worse?  are you saying rape is worse than murder?  what about getting hit by a train? isn't that worse? 

"worst nightmare"  just means - this is something I envisioned happening that would be terrible.  

I didn't see any problem with what Sunny said either or that she implied greater value to her son than her daughter.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Former Nun said:

One thing we need to remember is that Sonny's son is Black.  There is a high incidence of young Black men being convicted from "mere" accusations.   So much more than young White men.

Thank you, Former Nun!!!!  

I believe that was the gist of Sunny's statement.  She was talking abt the topic of sexual harrassment, NOT comparing sex crimes to other crimes.

Nor does she always have to talk about her daughter as well as her son in EVERY conversation--most parents wouldn't, in most cases, have to bring up ALL their children in a conversation--because frankly,  no one but parents care that much abt other people's kids, and it would make for a long,  boring time.

It was a specific comment on a specific topic, by a loving, smart, socially-aware mother of color.  

Jeremy Brent and Nate Berkus are a cute couple. I would FLOVE for a decorator just to give me advice, although free furniture would be awesome too. Joy's office was perfect. She is so personable with everyone--what a saint. 

• Love 12

I'm glad I am not the only one who thought MM was incredibly rude to Senator Durbin.  There's a diplomatic way to disagree with someone and there's a nasty way and she seems to have chosen the mean road.  Dad must be so proud.

• Love 18
12 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

I've had flu shots for over forty years & never had the flu (from the shot).  I have had the flu, before & after, but only two or three times in that time period.  Just sayin'.

Thank you!  The fear-mongering over vaccinations really scares me.  (I have relatives who are anti-vaxxers, one claims her son is autistic because of shots).  I started getting flu shots several years ago after a few nasty bouts with the flu.  I have never had the flu from shots, & haven't been sick since getting the shots.

• Love 9
21 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I apologize if I am misunderstanding your words, but isn't that what we do: we thank people for their military service; for putting themselves in danger, sacrificing their lives while fighting for our rights as Americans?

I agree, it is a good thing to do.  It is like saying sorry for your loss when someone tells you of a death.  

• Love 1