Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

6 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

The video

It’s like running a marathon so that a five mile run is a breeze...

Can you imagine what her competitors on the same practice sessions are thinking ?

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, HartofDixie said:

The video

5 minutes ago, caracas1914 said:

It’s like runnin a marathon so that a five mile run is a breeze...

Can you imagine what her competitors on the same practice sessions are thinking ?

Since you're not allowed to do a sequence like that in competition, she's really just playing mind games with the other women.

• Love 14

I'm hoping there are some surprises tonight. Right now its looking like a rather boring event.

I'll be interested/amused to see how much of it airs on NBC proper. Let's be realistic: most Americans just aren't interested in watching two Russian ladies vie for Olympic gold in figure skating. Figure skating used to be the crown jewel in the winter Olympics but the USA hasn't had a horse in this race in over a decade and people have lost interest. 

I know this is a sensitive issue and let's be clear, Ashley and Adam are both slender, healthy-looking, athletic individuals. But they are not sticks like, say, Zhou or Zagitova or the little girls we swear are 12. Part of that is just being an adult approaching 30. You just don't burn calories in the same way and it IS a lot harder.

The hard fact is that the sport favors teeny little 70 pound waifs who can jump and spin in the air because they weigh nothing. It's gotten to the point where it's no longer realistic for normal-bodied people to compete.

Tara Lipinski also had the skating mom to end all Over Involved Skating Parents. 

Tara's mom was the opposite of that - she had no interest in skating and was always trying to talk Tara out of it. 

Full disclosure: I listen to Tara and Johnny's podcast. They are unabashed narcissists but, surprisingly, more self aware than you would guess. And often quite hilarious.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Do they stand to make a tonne of $$$ if they get the gold? I remember reading an article (an aussie article mind you and we're not that big on figure skating) about how Sasha Cohen could have had EVERYTHING had she not botched up her freeskate. It seemed very dramatic!

Is silver not good enough for endorsements?

Sasha would have raked in the cash if she'd have won a few competitions. She's pretty and white and as an Olympic gold medalist, the sponsors would have fallen all over her. Kwan never won Olympic gold but she was around for years and years and won several world championships and was very popular, maybe the most popular American figure skater ever (Dorothy Hamill could make the claim). Tara had a very short career so her endorsement potential wasn't realized.

Look at little Alina Zagitova mind-fucking her competition. Dang, girl. I hope she's also mind-fucking her Botoxed coach. 

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 7
On 2/21/2018 at 11:35 AM, Growsonwalls said:

Here's an interview with Raf Arutyunian that gives some great behinds-the-scenes gossip about the Mens' competition and also explains why the coldness between Nathan Chen and Raf in the K&C after the SP:

Interesting interview. 

21 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Tara's mom was the opposite of that - she had no interest in skating and was always trying to talk Tara out of it. 

Let's just say she was difficult in different ways, she seemed to come across in so many interviews  as victimized for being a skating mom, Downright miserable for her lot in life.  And that meltdown because Kwan presented the jacket to the President, damn,  well that's being a stage mom in a different way...

• Love 2

I'll be interested/amused to see how much of it airs on NBC proper. Let's be realistic: most Americans just aren't interested in watching two Russian ladies vie for Olympic gold in figure skating. Figure skating used to be the crown jewel in the winter Olympics but the USA hasn't had a horse in this race in over a decade and people have lost interest.

I'm surprised with all the pull NBC has had this Olympics, they didn't arrange for men's singles to go last, since there was far more suspense between Yuzuru's injury and Nathan's chances of medaling.

Edited by absnow54
  • Love 3

NBC is trying their best, billing tonight's free skate as the "battle between the greatest skaters of all time." Who wrote THAT copy? Johnny Weir? 

Yeah, that'll get people to watch. Telling Americans that two Russian teeny boppers are better than Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi, Dorothy Hammil, etc. 

Hey, Moir. How many "ginger ales" had you partaken when that video was shot? LOL. Oh, and sorry about the loss. Snicker. Give us a break. We've had a rough couple years and our country needed something pretty, shiny, and happy to celebrate (and we're not getting it tonight). 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 12
21 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

I'm surprised with all the pull NBC has had this Olympics, they didn't arrange for men's singles to go last, since there was far more suspense between Yuzuru's injury and Nathan's chances of medaling

At this year's US Nationals, NBC got the USFSA to change the Men's Free to Saturday night so they could show it live in primetime and then promptly kicked it to NBCSN so that it could show a football Wild Card playoff game instead.  

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Darknight said:

I'm Sorry but the Russians women's coach scares me. Like she would beat me or something. 

I actually hope the little Russians do well mainly because that woman looks terrifying and if they have to spend time with her I hope they get something out of it. 

• Love 3

I think everyone needs a Linda Leaver in his or her life-she was the only coach Brian needed, managed his professional career, and manages his business affairs as CEO of his company and CFO of his cooking show.  Talk about the perfect partnership; the two of them caught lightning in a bottle with each other!

• Love 9

At this year's US Nationals, NBC got the USFSA to change the Men's Free to Saturday night so they could show it live in primetime and then promptly kicked it to NBCSN so that it could show a football Wild Card playoff game instead.  

Interesting. I'm definitely far more interested in Men's figure skating right now. And whatever the reason for the move at Nationals, it was great for me. I went with a group of coworkers and it was awesome. I definitely wouldn't have been as excited had it been the Ladies Free on Saturday instead.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The hard fact is that the sport favors teeny little 70 pound waifs who can jump and spin in the air because they weigh nothing. It's gotten to the point where it's no longer realistic for normal-bodied people to compete.

Full disclosure: I listen to Tara and Johnny's podcast. They are unabashed narcissists but, surprisingly, more self aware than you would guess. And often quite hilarious.

Wait, what? She yanked Tara out of roller skating, very much against Tara's will, at the age of ten, something like that. She knew there was no "future" (read: Olympic gold medal and the attendant endorsements thereof) in roller skating and there obviously was in ice skating.

3 hours ago, caracas1914 said:

Let's just say she was difficult in different ways, she seemed to come across in so many interviews  as victimized for being a skating mom, Downright miserable for her lot in life.  And that meltdown because Kwan presented the jacket to the President, damn,  well that's being a stage mom in a different way...

Ugh, that story about her loudly complaining about the jacket. "Can you believe what they're doing to poor Tara?" Tara wasn't the only Olympian in that delegation, lady! And I doubt Tara would've even noticed if you hadn't kept yammering on about it.

• Love 3

I find myself in the very unfamiliar position of rooting for a Russian tonight.  That hasn't happened since...I don't even know, Yagudin a little?  G/G when I was a kid?  And it's only because I so very much don't want the other Russian (and her abysmal technique and flailing-arms-and-open-mouth excuse for artistry) to win and one of them will win, no matter what, so here we are.  It's all very unsettling.

Anyway, go Zag.

• Love 4
Just now, Chaser said:

I rooted for Yagudin cause I didn't want Plushenko to win.

Right?  That's why I wanted to Yagudin to win, too; I guess it's the same situation this time around.  It's a weird feeling, nonetheless.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, LadyKenobi said:

All this talk of coaches makes me appreciate Brian Orser even more. He was talking on Olympic Ice about how he treats each athlete as an individual and how he and Tracy Wilson do a lot of talking to the skat to understand them. I’m so happy for all his success. Even when I was a little girl watching Battle of the Brians, I got the vibe he was a nice guy and classy competitor. 

I frequently rewatch the Battle of the Brians (Brian Boitano is my all-time favorite skater and he’s such a nice guy on top of that. I met him once the summer before the 1994 Olympics). After Orser realized he hadn’t won the gold a microphone was shoved right in his face and he was asked how he felt. His response was so honest and awesome to me in that moment. He just said “I’m disappointed. What can I say”. It was just so honest and raw and at the same time such a ridiculous question. How do you think he feels? Ugh! He was so classy. I’m so glad he’s having such an awesome coaching career.

• Love 16

Hmm. Brian Orser seems like an amazing coach ... for a certain type of skater. He's more of a finisher, a packager. He's very open that he doesn't accept students who don't already have excellent jumping technique already. He didn't do very well with Adam Rippon who has struggled with consistent jumps his entire career. 

I think he might be a good fit for Nathan Chen, who does have good jumping technique but definitely needs something extra in his skating so he doesn't have to rely on 5 quads to put him in contention.

• Love 7

I'm in a really weird place where I will feel bad for whichever Russian that does not get the gold.

Medvedeva's sailormoon shenanigans have totally endeared her to me and I enjoy her skating. Plus she's done so well and this is her last chance at gold before they churn out another baby who can skate. But I like Zag's jumps and life surely cannot be easy with that mean looking coach! Anyways I hope they both do well! 

• Love 10

I agree. I wish that he would go to Brian Orser, but I suspect that Orser would think Jason's Brown too old to really add the quads he would need to compete at the highest level.   But Nathan--YES!

The hard fact is that the sport favors teeny little 70 pound waifs who can jump and spin in the air because they weigh nothing. It's gotten to the point where it's no longer realistic for normal-bodied people to compet

Not really... Carolina Kostner is 28; Aliona Savchenko is 34.  They used to say the same thing about gymnastics, but then came a group of power gymnasts, starting with Marilu Retton and could do the powerful moves.  No one would call Simone Biles too thin (although, to be fair, she IS 4'8")  And several Olympians from Nancy Kerrigan on have competed in multiple Olympics.

Edited by AuntieDiane6
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, LadyKenobi said:

I’m still scarred by whichever Men’s OGM waggled his knees with his fingers in the air during the long program. Yagudin? That run of Russian men blend together for me for some reason. All I see is waggling and a costume that looked like he had squirrels thrown over his shoulders.

And who was the Russian ice dance pair from the 90s who went pro and skated with that giant red sheet, and one of them fell under it? That was awesome.

That was Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomarenko. Their OGM winning performance I’m sure was difficult and innovative for their time, but it put me to sleep. However, I loved their Dracula routine, which I believe is what included the red sheet. ? 

As far as Nathan goes, I don’t think he and Orser would make a good match, for the simple fact that the latter does not seem to be a fan of hovering parents calling the shots on when and what their child will do in competition. If Nathan’s parents/family are truly that way it would clash, I think, with Brian’s coaching style. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, LadyKenobi said:

I’m still scarred by whichever Men’s OGM waggled his knees with his fingers in the air during the long program. Yagudin? That run of Russian men blend together for me for some reason. All I see is waggling and a costume that looked like he had squirrels thrown over his shoulders.

And who was the Russian ice dance pair from the 90s who went pro and skated with that giant red sheet, and one of them fell under it? That was awesome.

This would be Klimova and Ponomarenko.

To see them in a more traditional, they did one of the best OD's ever choreographed in 1992:

Marina Klimova is now a choreographer and looks way better nowadays than the days of the Dracula make-up:

image.png.05a7c5b341cfa5c4b7dbd6c913375dc4.png

• Love 3
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Figure skating used to be the crown jewel in the winter Olympics but the USA hasn't had a horse in this race in over a decade and people have lost interest. 

Part of that is programming throughout the rest of the year. I watched all the weekend NBC GP recaps last fall and they only ever showed men's and ladies'. Three of our dance teams went to the GP Final and they didn't even show dance at the GPF! But hey, they showed all the GPF ladies, none of whom were American. (I feel like I've seen Zag's FS many, many times and don't even really need to watch tonight.) They can't just keep showing our subpar women singles skaters and expect Americans to stay enthusiastic about skating. But there are multiple ways to market the dance teams, starting with the awesome, millennial-friendly Shibs.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 5

We haven't had a women's singles skater as a legitimate frontrunner since Sasha in 2006 - and, I agree that's the marquee event.

Evan did win eight years ago, and we have consistently had one of the top ice dancing couples in the world.  Yet, for some inexplicable reason, the networks and/or the USFSA doesn't promote our superb ice dancers, and when we have a legitimate contender with an awesome track record, like the Shibutanis, the federation and/or judges seem very keen to push other couples.  It's really baffling.  

Also, if Nathan stays healthy and figures out his issues, he is definitely a legitimate contender.  He should have been one this year.  (sigh)

I do think our ladies need to be more intentional about aligning their skating skills to the Code of Points, as boring as I find the subsequent programs.  That was one thing Sasha did really, really well.  

• Love 5

Had a thought about Zag's never ending triples: maybe she's practicing that to pull it out in the gala. Not a lot of suspense she'll be in that, and they can do unauthorized moves in the gala still, right? I used to love Surya Bonaly and Scott Hamilton's backflips.

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, LadyKenobi said:

Thanks guys! Wow, look at her In the kiss and cry—I had no idea. She looked scary in the 90s, so good to see she toned it down. Oh and she and her partner were married, cool!

all the 90's over the top ice dancers seem to have graduated into pleasant looking middle-aged women who wear very little makeup.

Angelika Krylova then and now:

image.png.4ccf38c408746f01f58e422b8abad72c.pngDSC00202_Angelika_Krylova_Kaitlin_Hawaye

Pasha Grishuk then and now:

image.png.b5b373df288c07e7353c343d8ea1d6f2.png

8177429427_fd6d368203_b.jpg

Scary Babs then and now:

image.png.31fc343dbb857c2f2e1b19e9cdd95c6f.pngimage.png.efb552ff2f38ae717ce604144ceaebbe.png

image.png

Edited by Growsonwalls
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I'm surprised with all the pull NBC has had this Olympics, they didn't arrange for men's singles to go last, since there was far more suspense between Yuzuru's injury and Nathan's chances of medaling.

Ladies figure skating is still more popular than the men's. Tuesday night's ratings with the ladies' short program were better than they were for the men's long program. 

NBC's TV ratings are down but the streaming is way, way, way up from Sochi. I think they've said people are streaming at triple the rate they did in 2014. (No wonder, since the streaming commentators are better than the ones on TV.)

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Minneapple said:

Ladies figure skating is still more popular than the men's. Tuesday night's ratings with the ladies' short program were better than they were for the men's long program. 

NBC's TV ratings are down but the streaming is way, way, way up from Sochi. I think they've said people are streaming at triple the rate they did in 2014. (No wonder, since the streaming commentators are better than the ones on TV.)

Okay, let's not forget the dark times here. Tara and Johnny can grate (though, really, some of those google home commercials are incredibly charming) but they aren't as bad as the Tom/Scott/Sandra decades-of-awfulness. A bit too much about themselves at times (pushed by Terry, which geez, Terry, run from that network script once in a while) and too tongue-bathy about the latest Russian shiny things, but a far cry better than the previous crew.

As for coach hopping, I think it took Brian a few years to mature into the supportive coach he is now because there were a few bad years in there when he was losing students faster than he was getting them. I also wonder how Nathan would work with Kori Ade--Jason's artistry is great even if his jumps aren't while Nathan has the jumps but needs the artistry. And if he does have Over Involved Skating Parents, maybe the results from this showing will help them back off some.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

NBC is trying their best, billing tonight's free skate as the "battle between the greatest skaters of all time." Who wrote THAT copy? Johnny Weir? 

I think it says the "greatest skaters of our time."

They all look great!

I give them a pass on the excessive makeup while competing. Ice Dancing was, back then, the ice skating discipline with the most drama on and off the ice. I always felt like the heavy makeup and dramatic expressions while skating, was an extension of that drama as well as emulating the look of professional ballroom dancers. 

• Love 7
16 hours ago, Enero said:

She was technically sound in that she did just enough, the basics to win, which worked very well for her due to her consistency. However, she didn’t push the sport technically. When Slutskaya and even Cohen were on they could and did beat her, but neither had consistency in their arsenal. 

Which is essentially the name of the game in any sport.  I would say if you think the sport is more than just jumping passes than her skating was bit more than "the basics".

As for the womens FS, I really don't have a dog in the fight tonight.   Maybe I'm becoming an old softie but I really hope they all do well and feel good about their skating.  If I have to choose between the two Russians, I suppose Evgenia because she's performed well and  consistenly the last 24 months  despite having the added  pressure of being the champion which is easier said than done.    It's harder to skate when your are expected to win.  Now she  doesn't thrill me with her technique, also t I think the Russians these days skate "small", (limited choreography and presentation by points) but from what I've heard of her she seems a nice down to earth girl.  I'm sure Alina is a sweet young thing, too, for all her mind fucking the comp at the practice sessions, <chuckle>.

It's funny but if you analyze the women skaters for the last 50 years you have very few top favorites who skated close to their best at the Olympics.  Peggy Fleming was a foregone conclusion because she was so ahead in compulsory figures but she admitted she didn't skate all that well.  1972 Trixie Schuba was a cow on ice but her figures from all accounts were insanely good, and  if you go down the list a lot of the pre Olympic favorite, Linda DeLeuw(sp) 75 world champ(1976),  Linda Fratianne(1980), Rosalyn Sumners(1984), Michelle Kwan, (1998/2002)Sasha Cohen (2006)  Midori Ito AND Kristy Yamaguchi(the winner) (1992), Irina Slutskaya, (2002/06)and so forth and so on had  less than stellar, even when they did win.  How the hell Katarina Witt won with  watered down programs  in 1984 and 1988? well frankly only because Sumners and Thomas choked so badly.  Plus in 1984 she was not the favorite, Sumners was.

Really the only skater I can think of who was the favorite and skated close to her best was Yuna Kim at Vancouver.   Tara in 1998 I think most  would agree the big pressure was on Michelle Kwan that year.      Maybe you can throw in Oksana Baiul in 1994 but let's not open up how the judges overlooked her technical mistakes in her programs.

So I hope at least one of the gals has the skate of her life.  Let them all and may the skating dice be thrown!!

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, Enero said:

That was Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomarenko. Their OGM winning performance I’m sure was difficult and innovative for their time, but it put me to sleep. However, I loved their Dracula routine, which I believe is what included the red sheet. ? 

24 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

This would be Klimova and Ponomarenko.

Marina Klimova is now a choreographer and looks way better nowadays than the days of the Dracula make-up:

image.png.05a7c5b341cfa5c4b7dbd6c913375dc4.png

I always remembered her dramatic red hair from when I was young.

• Love 1