Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E01: Meri Moving?

• Start Topic

RE:  Logan and Michelle's wedding plans.  IMHO . . . totally different situation.  Traditionally, the bride's parents foot the bill for the wedding (if the couple doesn't do it themselves).  So far on SW, we've had two daughters get married.  Comparisons as to what their weddings cost are understandable.  But wouldn't the Browns - because they are so "traditional" - assume that Michelle's family will be primarily responsible for that wedding if L&M weren't on record as saying they were doing it themselves?

BTW - FT&M's wedding sounds like the tackiest affair St. George has ever seen . . . or WILL ever see.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, lookeyloo said:

Me too!! Right from the start.  Not that there is anything wrong with being gay.   I have a gay son. He is Nothing like Fatter Tony.  Adorable, fit, owns a business, contributes to the community, etc.

Agreed. Nothing wrong with being gay. I'm gay. However, if you're not being honest with yourself or others about who you are and you're marrying a woman who you haven't told, or doesn't see it for herself, thats very wrong. Abusive even.

• Love 16
15 hours ago, Kyanight said:

I think it depends on where you go.  We went to York (England) and stayed in the most AMAZING B&B.    SO much better than a hotel.  But I read someone's comment about wanting to go skiing and then soak up the heat from a jacuzzi and have all of the hotel amenities afterwards - NOT a B&B and I can agree with that.

I stayed in a B&B once at the recommendation of another couple.  I found the presence of the owners too intrusive.  You could feel the wife hovering making sure you were handling her things correctly or whatever.  Never again.  (Give me an anonymous Hampton Inn, also with free breakfast.)  Anyhoo, can you imagine having Meri serving you breakfast?

• Love 17
24 minutes ago, KaiFoozle said:

Agreed. Nothing wrong with being gay. I'm gay. However, if you're not being honest with yourself or others about who you are and you're marrying a woman who you haven't told, or doesn't see it for herself, thats very wrong. Abusive even.

My oldest son is gay.   I just have to say that my "Gaydar" isn't going off with Tony.   I honestly think he's straight.   lol

9 minutes ago, GussieK said:

I stayed in a B&B once at the recommendation of another couple.  I found the presence of the owners too intrusive.  You could feel the wife hovering making sure you were handling her things correctly or whatever.  Never again.  (Give me an anonymous Hampton Inn, also with free breakfast.)  Anyhoo, can you imagine having Meri serving you breakfast?

In York, the owners had two houses next door to each other.  They lived in one house and people stayed in the other - so there wasn't that hovering you are talking about.  Although.... I guess that would be understandable because people probably come to stay and take "souvenirs" with them.   That would be really weird having Meri making you breakfast.  I've hardly ever seen her when she wasn't miserable and/or crying.  Maybe Grandma would serve breakfast? 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Chris Knight said:

Do "street " tacos rilly have only meat on them ? No cheese, sour cream, lettuce, tomatoes, guac ? And even if they are small, 10 tacos/person sounds crazy. Are they bite-sized ?

Actually kind of yes. There is a fabulous taco place near us that is Latin American street food. And while it has some things with ‘trimmings’ most of the regular tacos are a type of meat with just so fresh garnish like chopped onion and cilantro. The pork has pineapple but other than that it’s the meat and garnish wrapped in a super fresh corn tortilla. Crap. Now I’m hungry. 

• Love 9

Those of you getting a "gay" vibe from FT - I concur. 

I got a similar vibe from Michael Jackson. Androgynous. 

I live in a heavily Latino/Hispanic area of California, I travel frequently to Mexico, and in fact dating a Mexican National. 

What's missing from FT is "machismo". He doesn't have a masculine vibe, very much a beta male, and zero respect for women or family. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, lma said:

@Normades, you made a good point about Meri earlier in this thread. She always tries to buddy up and form alliances. Now that she’s lost Robyn, she’s on to Annie. She is using Annie because she’s got to find somebody in the family to whine to and tell all her secrets. She’s burned bridges with all of the wives. Bottom line is Kody doesn’t want her and she would be so much happier if she’d accept that fact and move on from this “fambly.” Polygamy ain’t making you better, hon.

I agree but in this case I was also thinking that its possible she deliberately chose Annie to get back Christine.  You took Robin so I am taking Annie kind of thinking.  She is a manipulator that Meri.

Edited by Mya
  • Love 12
5 minutes ago, lma said:

@Normades, you made a good point about Meri earlier in this thread. She always tries to buddy up and form alliances. Now that she’s lost Robyn, she’s on to Annie. She is using Annie because she’s got to find somebody in the family to whine to and tell all her secrets. She’s burned bridges with all of the wives. Bottom line is Kody doesn’t want her and she would be so much happier if she’d accept that fact and move on from this “fambly.” Polygamy ain’t making you better, hon.

I get the impression that Meri already knows all of that and would love to move on but the family puts a guilt trip on her if she tries to leave.  There is honestly nothing keeping her there.  Besides the nostalgia factor, I think that is the number one reason she wanted that B&B.   To get away and start a life that makes sense.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, jacksgirl said:

They just HAVE TO tell Tanya that they are all "the mom". I guarantee that Tanya the wedding plamner meets moms, stepmoms, grandma's raising kids' mom's, custodial mom's that are not biologically related to the child mom's all day. Nobody cares that you are polygamists and that the bride has multiple women who claim parentood. 

I'm really tired of them making such a big show of this, too. Especially since the person they are informing obviously damn well knows about the polygamy thing already. They've signed on to be part of the Sister Wives tv show, duh ... I'm sure they know what the show is about.  A camera crew has shown up and the tape is rolling. Microphones are everywhere.  There is no element of surprise. Yet Kody and company proceed to drop their little dud  bombshell as if they are seriously expecting this huge reaction. But no one ever cares.  It's just stupid.  

• Love 16
2 hours ago, laurakaye said:

I find it interesting that he's basically unshackled himself from his family, but I do wonder if he ever thinks about the fact that he is living a polar opposite life from his father, while his younger brothers and sisters look on.

I think he knows it, planned it, and doesn't mind at all that it's right in Kody's face. 

• Love 11
14 hours ago, notnowimbusy said:

I seriously doubt Meri (and Kody) have any equity in her house.  They bought with no money down, high interest, etc.   Vegas has had a building boom, with new, better, homes & "communities" being built all the time.  So, any prospective buyer could either get a newer home for the same price, or low ball Meri that she would walk away at a loss.   At best she's underwater with her house.  Owes more than it's worth.   Do they still own the home in Utah.   If they do, they could possibly pull some money out of that house.  You know, it really doesn't matter.  They will once again walk away from debt.    No way will Janelle or Sobyn allow any stake they have in their homes be put at risk for Meri. 

I have a friend in Utah who has a fabulous wedding venue.   It's close to Park City, so she has a better location than Meri.   If she can get 50% during wedding season, she's lucky. 

I've heard Park City is one of the only places one can buy alcohol in Utah; is that true?  I need wine just to watch this crap :)

14 hours ago, valdawn said:

When the producer asked Meri if she wanted to talk about how Christine and Sobbin had grown closer and she said no because it was painful or something I was like uh, I seriously confused about the point of this sister wife thing she guess. If what they say about polygamy is true, shouldn’t Meri be happy and celebrating the fact that 2 sister wives who previously did not get along are now closer and able to stand being in the same room. The fact that that is painful to her goes against all the bullshit they’ve slung about their lifestyle.

Jealous much, dear Meri?  She's such a bitch.  She helps make hate-watching fun, though.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, Misslindsey said:

I feel like Meri thinks opening a B&B in a small town will be like a Hallmark movie or something. She probably hoping that a good looking man will get stuck in the small town for some ridiculous reason, stay at her B&B, and fall in love in a matter of days. An added bonus if it around Christmastime.

LOL, your scenario puts me in mind of Annie Wilkes (Kathy Bates) in Misery.  Meri could hope some hunky guy has an accident nearby, and she can trap him in the B & B.  She'll hobble him if he tries to escape!  

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I've heard Park City is one of the only places one can buy alcohol in Utah; is that true?  I need wine just to watch this crap :)

False.  Utah has some unusual laws re alcohol sales and consumption, but it's available throughout the state.  Did you see the fully stocked bar at the CC in St. George?

• Love 1

According to Zillow and Redfin, the homes have appreciated significantly in value . . . in the neighborhood of 60% above original purchase price.  Of course, there's the possi/probability that they already have home equity loans on them.  After all, FT suggested a second mortgage as a way to pay for their wedding.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, JDAlexander said:

When Kody told Tony, after learning there would be no alcohol served at the wedding, that he would be the "role model for your Catholic family members." 

That was so ignorant.  Guess Catholics are all just such a bunch of drunks.!!!

Edited by Granny58
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, Desert Rat said:

False.  Utah has some unusual laws re alcohol sales and consumption, but it's available throughout the state.  Did you see the fully stocked bar at the CC in St. George?

I guess I missed that!  Thanks.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

LOL, your scenario puts me in mind of Annie Wilkes (Kathy Bates) in Misery.  Meri could hope some hunky guy has an accident nearby, and she can trap him in the B & B.  She'll hobble him if he tries to escape!  

Any man who is a 6'6" vegan should steer clear of the area...

• Love 10

Glad to find this discussion site...I wish the show would get cancelled.  I truly don't know why I watch it except it is an escape from reality (news etc).  Yeah I know a reality show...we all know it isn't.  My head is spinning...didn't Mykelti get married in 2016...WTH is with this planning a huge wedding.  There are two pics on line...a long dress and a short dress.  I assume TLC gives them a budget for these weddings over and above their TV fee.  Even the couch talk..which is SOOOO boring was old, I think.  I hope Meri sells her Vegas house, moves into that adorable B&B..I would pay to stay there..so cute!  Cody ALWAYS looks angry anymore....Browns have proved their point...polygamy is OK for some..it isn't always the tyrant 300 children scenerio. WE GOT IT!  TLC  (The Learning Channel)...we have already learned this lesson.  Make the Browns go away.....please...  

• Love 5
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

The current owners seem to be running on empty with the place.  That's why they can't get it sold.  I just can't envision how Meri will have any different result.

Well, I'm sure she thinks that all over her legions of followers will beat a pathway to her door as a sort of pilgrimage to their adored leader.  I mean, just read so of those obsequious twitter responses.  She can set up a LLR room there and have a captive audience.

3 hours ago, VedaPierce said:

I don't think there exists an uglier color combination.

Geezaloo, somebody buy these idiots a color wheel.

Maybe Grandma would serve breakfast? 

The dead one?  That would make for some interesting marketing.  As it is you couldn't pay me to stay in a place like that with someone's old dusty furniture and Meri hanging around doing her "woe is me" routine.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I guess I missed that!  Thanks.

I get it. It's easy to miss the details because the show is SO DAMN BORING. I find myself falling asleep between commercials. I watch because I so enjoy snarking with everyone on this forum. It's love\hate.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Adiba said:

In the financial sense, however, I do agree with others that it doesn't seem like this venture will make a profit, so I am confused as to how it will work out.

I think Meri might have the last laugh on this. Get everyone thinking it's a business and it's her ancestral house so they will buy her "get out of Vegas and leave Kody" house. 

• Love 7

I don't mind the Browns on a reality show. Some things bug me, but, in general, it's amusing to me.  There are some that I can't tolerate, like Teem Moms OG and that other new teem mom reality show. (Won't get pulled into that cesspool.)  I suppose that I've grown into the Brown debacle.   lol  I kind of enjoy seeing the kids grow up.  I do wish that someone would get real with addressing some of the adult kids obnoxious behavior, especially Tony's. It's annoying to say the least.  But, I'm hoping he's on his way off the show, after the wedding.  

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, I'm sure she thinks that all over her legions of followers will beat a pathway to her door as a sort of pilgrimage to their adored leader.  I mean, just read so of those obsequious twitter responses.  She can set up a LLR room there and have a captive audience.

Geezaloo, somebody buy these idiots a color wheel.

The dead one?  That would make for some interesting marketing.  As it is you couldn't pay me to stay in a place like that with someone's old dusty furniture and Meri hanging around doing her "woe is me" routine.

LOLOLOL! reminds me of a line from My Big Fat Greek Wedding! 

woe to me.jpg

• Love 6

Oh, even though viewers may wish Meri off the show and on to her own personal life, free of the Browns, I wonder if she can make it without the TLC paycheck.  I mean, letting go of that after all these years might be difficult.  

5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Oh, even though viewers may wish Meri off the show and on to her own personal life, free of the Browns, I wonder if she can make it without the TLC paycheck.  I mean, letting go of that after all these years might be difficult.  

I suspect she didn’t negotiate any kind of financial settlement in the divorce either so Kody would get to decide if she gets any of the TLC money that hasn’t been spent and she’s probably on the hook for a lot of debt which Kody would just leave for her to handle instead of share since that would have been split during a divorce as well. 

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

"Maybe grandma would serve breakfast?"

No, Anna.  Grandma to the Brown Brood.

Christine says "I love Tony" in such a way that if she says it enough time, it will become true. 

3 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't want Meri off the show per se. It is just that I want her to reach a level of realization that will likely result in her telling Kodi to fuck off, which will naturally lead to her no longer being a part of the Brown family, hence part of the show.  I want her to come to the realization that she isn't about that plig life and in truth never really has been. Admit she's been a scheming bitch to all the wives because she's been miserable since Janelle was added. I want her to realize she got hoisted by her own petard when Kody manipulated her into adding wife #4 Robyn, who outmaneuvered her out of pole position and has formed a better bond with the wives, kids and Kody that she herself could've had if she had been playing chess (like Robyn) and not checkers.  I want Meri to stop looking like a kicked puppy and stop begging for dick.  I want her to admit that she was devastated by the divorce and Kody/Robyn marriage. I want her to admit that she would've left Kody and family for that catfish if he/she/it had turned out to be real. 

It all comes down to I don't think Meri can ever truly be honest with herself. I feel like the biggest hurdle is her religion. She was born into and fully indoctrinated into the plig life. Leaving Kody means literally going to hell to her. 

Edited by islandgal140
  • Love 24
1 hour ago, Kyanight said:

Maybe grandma would serve breakfast?"

They should get Mary from Amish whatever to cook and run it-she needs something to do

1 hour ago, islandgal140 said:

Christine says "I love Tony" in such a way that if she says it enough time, it will become true. 

I cant stand that little asshole- what a horrible boy he is!

Not going to say man because he is NOT. They are both petulant children who will throw a tantrum if they don't get what they want.

I am not sure whay I watch this show because I really dislike almost everyone on it-except Truely!

The other brother is a real winner too!

• Love 5

Um, what was all the talk when Kody gave the toast to Mykelti and Tony about a contract?  Did M&T actually say afterwards that he expects them to write a contract with the number of kids they are going to have and whatever other plans they have for their future?  Do people actually do that?  Write an actual contract?  Because if this is actually a thing that Kody and his ilk do, then shouldn't everyone have expected there would be a wife #4?  And shouldn't he know whether or not he and Robyn will be having more kids?  It would have been in their contract, right?  I only know of one couple who wrote a "contract", and that had to do with, um, more personal and intimate matters.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

Um, what was all the talk when Kody gave the toast to Mykelti and Tony about a contract?  Did M&T actually say afterwards that he expects them to write a contract with the number of kids they are going to have and whatever other plans they have for their future?  Do people actually do that?  Write an actual contract?  Because if this is actually a thing that Kody and his ilk do, then shouldn't everyone have expected there would be a wife #4?  And shouldn't he know whether or not he and Robyn will be having more kids?  It would have been in their contract, right?  I only know of one couple who wrote a "contract", and that had to do with, um, more personal and intimate matters.

Maybe he got the idea from Big Bang Theroy. Sheldon and Amy have a relationship contract LOL

• Love 3
On 1/8/2018 at 0:47 PM, hnygrl said:

Eesh....these two deserve each other. SHE is marrying HIM to get away from polygamy. HE is marrying HER to get INTO polygamy and maybe a spinoff tv show.

I'd be willing to bet my next three paychecks that he and she are as we speak fighting about him taking another wife.

this

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

Well, Mykelti has umpteen sisters.  Christine insists they lurrrrve him.

Ugh!  That gives new meaning to the term Sister Wives.  Actually that would be "Sister Sister Wives".

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, Kyanight said:

Actually that would be "Sister Sister Wives".

Happens all the time in polygamy, with all the sects. Sister/sister as well as mother/daughter. With the Kingston sect, brothers marry their own sisters, half sisters and aunts. That sect is one inbred bunch of whackos. The Browns are all cousins of some degree. But even with the potential for finding another wife within the Browns, Tony is damn lucky he found even one wife.

Edited by Galloway Cave
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

Yeah, that is just creepy.  Wasn't one of those other poly pigs married to twins?  Shudder.

Yep, the Dargers. He married twin sisters and their cousin. One twin and the cousin on the same thing and the other twin I think ten years later.

• Love 3

Finally got around to watching the entire episode.  OMG.  First of all - can one of them that claims to be an adult, please tell Mykelti & Tony NO!  He is so smarmy.  Both of them are dumb as rocks.  Why couldn't one of the "moms" speak up and say "listen, we are not going to pay for 400 people to eat tacos".  NO!   We will pay for a wedding with you, a few friends, Tony's immediate family. . . that's it!  If you want to have a big reception - sometime after the wedding - for the extended family and friends, go for it, but it's on your dime.  The dime which is about all they have.    Seriously all these kids have learned, through example, how to rig the system, meaning run up bills, then file for bankruptcy.   Christine and her screaming!  Kody with his fake outrage, Robyn with her general ignorance - STOP!  Janelle seemed to be the only one who was quietly thinking, well none of this is coming out of my money.   What a waste of effort, time and money.   Tony thinks he latched on to a gravy train.  Entitled.   The entire thing, down to the damn color scheme for the wedding, is idiotic.    He's an embarrassment, and I can't believe one of them hasn't pulled him aside to set him straight.   All of them are not mormons, but morons. 

Meri and the idea of a B&B could be her way to get them to help pay for her escape.   I doubt the bookings are 100%, but it would surely give her a place to live, away from everyone.  She wouldn't hesitate to take the rest for all she can - get a place in her own name, before all the other houses are foreclosed on.    Her conversation with Robyn was awful, but she did manage to get Robyn to side with her.  I don't think Meri is stupid, and knows she needs at least one of these fools to buy in.  

• Love 6

Is Sister Wives screwing with timelines again? So McToni  got married about 16 months ago and they are mixing wedding planning footage with Meri buying a B&B that closed this October? Either she had a failed first attempt or something smells rotten here. The other thing that bugs me is that she planned this behind her Sister Wives back and involved another Sister Wife's mother. If I were Christine I would be pissed that all this Involved my mother and my sister wife and was not afforded any consideration or respect. Christine found out about this with everyone else after all the planning was done and seemed fine. She is either lying about it for the camera to save face or she knew beforehand. It doesn't matter if it was a good thing or not for my mother, I would feel betrayed by the secrecy and lack of consideration.

Edited by Punkadoo
Wife's or wive's? Brain is gone and apparently grammar left long before it
  • Love 8

Is Sister Wives screwing with timelines again? 

Well the Brown Clowns can't keep track of their lies and rewrite history to fit the situation so why wouldn't TLC think we are too stupid to notice the bizarre time sequences.  Apparently they think we can't live without seeing the fake chaotic preparation for a wedding that took place so long ago that we've all seen the pictures (decorations courtesy of a color blind kindergartner). 

And if that doesn't suck us in, let's pretend Meri is making a break for it to a rundown farmhouse which hosts a handful of guests a year and thinks she'll make a living away from the cuddle-sac.

And then there's the inevitable birth-on-screen sequence to make us gag even though the kid will be in preschool by the time it airs.

It's done, stick a fork in it.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, ghoulina said:

What I like about Logan is that he was able to get away and do his own thing, but he never disrespects the family or their beliefs. He's so quiet and humble. He's a very good kid. 

Agreed. He seems like a great kid. He has spoken about this before in an early season -- that he would love to stay around and be the reliable big brother for everyone, but if he were to wait until all of his siblings launched, he'd be well into his 30s-40s before he could start his life. As such I think he took his big brother role seriously for the first 18 yrs of his life -- and I think still remains available especially to his full siblings -- but when he graduated high school, I think he deliberately decided he needed to focus on his life. In doing that, he's graduated from flagship state u, is now pursuing an MBA, lived with co-ed housemates thru college and spent most of his time at college and not running back to the 4 homes, moved in with his girlfriend in grad school -- much like any other 23 yr old male. Obviously he knows that his siblings see that he's living with Michelle, kissing her (probably sleeping with her), he now drinks and dances -- both of which I think are frowned upon in his family. He puts it out there on social media, so obviously his parents and siblings see it. But I don't get the sense that he's in their face about it. I don't think he goes home and tells his brothers -- oh when you're living with your girlfriend . . . . Or you absolutely shouldn't pursue polygamy bc x, y, z . . . . or you don't want to wait until marriage for sex bc what if she's not for you or whatever. He's not Tony -- he's not a loud, opinionated guy. I think he is living his life and owning it but without disrespecting the family beliefs by getting his siblings to follow his lifestyle.

As for being in Kody and Janelle's face -- you can tell they don't like it. They've so much as said it. When he and Michelle were applying to grad school, the plan was they'd go to the same school (i.e. stay at UNLV or go to another school where they both got into their programs) and live together and Kody and Janelle said -- it's not in line with our values that you're living with her, kissing her (and more), why don't you just get married after college and you can live together. And yet he didn't -- he didn't propose until a few months ago. Thing is -- Kody has always said to his kids and Logan used to get asked about it a lot as the oldest boy -- that you should only live polygamy if you want to and you believe in it yourself, otherwise you will be miserable; Janelle has also made a big deal about the older kids choosing their own faith whether FLDS or LDS or mainstream Christianity, so long as they have faith -- I think she was saying this re Maddy and others who were thinking of joining the LDS church. Whether Kody and Janelle meant these things or were saying them bc they were on TV by this point and it was PC to do so, Logan was hearing them and likely taking them to heart. He was likely thinking -- you told us to live our own lives and just be good people -- well I'm a good person with a college degree, pursuing a masters, full time job, with a girlfriend and I want to kiss/sleep with/dance with/drink with/vacation with that girlfriend for a few years and then when we're both ready, we'll get married. He's not sleeping around or doing drugs or any of those things, he's just living his own life as they always preached.

• Love 11

I totally get people saying that if Tony and Mykelti want a big wedding they should be paying for it themselves or economizing somehow or something. They are totally coming across as ignorant entitled brats. I see that. 

But a small part of me says ... why the hell not grab for everything they can get? They are ponying up themselves, their relationship, their wedding ... all for the sake of the show. How many episodes will this be dragged out across? What will it mean in terms of ratings? They are providing a sizeable amount of fodder for this shit show so why shouldn't they ask for the moon?

It's not their fault that the gravy train will have been long dried up by the time Truely trots down the aisle and there won't be money flowing in to pay for her wedding. Its not like if they scrimp now it means the younger kids will benefit. As if the Brown parents would actually put aside money for the other kids to spend on their weddings down the road, yeah right.  

They fact of the matter is the Browns are on tv right now, people are watching them right now, Mykelti and Tony are putting themselves out there for the sake of the show right now, and maybe they are entitled to grab whatever they can as a reward while they have the chance.

Just an alternative idea I though this throw out there. 

• Love 12