Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: Time For After

halgia
  • Start Topic

Boring ass episode featuring way too much Eugene. 

I thought Rick knew that they couldn't keep them trapped in that compound forever.

I just don't understand the point of Jadis or anything with her and the garbage.

• Love 23

Unbelievable.  Negan wasn't the most irritating person in this episode.  On top of Eugene's and Jadis' stupid way of talking, Michonne and Rosita both bail on the plan, and Eugene, Dwight and Jadis are still alive.

Apparently, Rick like everyone else is allowed to be competent when it suits the plot.  I bet next episode EVERYONE will be back to being idiots so the writers can continue to drag this out forever.

• Love 10

Wow! So glad they decided to devote most of the episode to the most sympathetic character, Eugene.

Seriously though, I am so tired of his affected accent and pretentious claims to knowledge. How is it that no one has managed to call him out on his bullshit. And on top of that, he's a Quisling. 

Where the hell does Eugene find all of his retro tech? An Atari 2600, an Ipod, a battery powered cassette player. . . 

• Love 10

So, Rick really didn't have a plan outside of asking Jadis for help, but it all works out after he manages to fight off a walker, Jadis, and two other Trash Hipsters wearing nothing but his underwear, and that somehow makes Jadis pretty much shrug and go "OK, fine" and join the group.  Well, that was a splendid waste of time!

Eugene figures Dwight is the mole, but instead of ratting him out to Negan, he keeps it quite for.... reasons?  Because he's clearly still on Team Negan, so I'm not sure what he has to gain by not sucking up (or kissing the hand) of his boss, and getting rid of a mole.

Daryl and Tara are done with waiting and decided to just ram a truck into the building and let the walkers run amuck.  But judging from that final shot, it might have all ended up backfiring (sounds like Eugene has some grand idea to get the Saviors out.)

Considering how messy these past few seasons have been, I don't say this lightly when I say that I think this might have been the worst episode yet.  I can't think of anything redeemable or entertaining here.  What was happened to this show?

• Love 16

There was a time when I would have been heartbroken to see Michonne like this.  But I don't care now because the more they ruin Michonne, the less interested I am in this shitshow.  To be perfectly honest, the snark here is more important to me than watching my favourite character.  I never thought it would come to this.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, ShadowHunter said:

I did laugh when Rosita said 'I believe in Rick Grimes"

I think that it is safe to share that the line is directly from the comics although maybe said by another character. I think many of the show's recent problems have come from Kirkman's determination to replicate comic instead of adapting it. As a result, too many aspects of the story that are fine in the comics are being included in the show and come off stupid.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I think that it is safe to share that the line is directly from the comics although maybe said by another character. I think many of the show's recent problems have come from Kirkman's determination to replicate comic instead of adapting it. As a result, too many aspects of the story that are fine in the comics are being included in the show and come off stupid.

Agree. I use to be thrilled when we were close to the mid season finale. Now I groaned when it was announced it would be 90 minutes.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, xaxat said:

Wow! So glad they decided to devote most of the episode to the most sympathetic character, Eugene.

Seriously though, I am so tired of his affected accent and pretentious claims to knowledge. How is it that no one has managed to call him out on his bullshit. And on top of that, he's a Quisling. 

Where the hell does Eugene find all of his retro tech? An Atari 2600, an Ipod, a battery powered cassette player. . . 

I don’t even know what he’s saying.  Did he say father pee looks like a potato and poop casserole?  

• Love 7

There are just so many problems.

Leading a herd of walkers to the Sanctuary, taking out the outposts, etc - good start of plan.

All goes downhill from there:

Have Negan, unguarded, right in front of a bunch of his enemies with guns, and no one shoots him.

Next part of the plan is apparently to go the group of idiots who betrayed you, show them pictures and tell them they have to help you.  Oh, you go alone, I guess maybe Daryl was going to go with Rick - like that would have helped - but Rick and Daryl have a spat and Daryl goes his own way, in the middle of "all out war", over something that should already have been discussed.

I mean, don't Kirkman et al think we're going to think about things like 1) WTF is Rick doing 2) WTF is Daryl doing 3) What was the plan if Rick was killed or was captured and brought to Negan.

• Love 12

Another boring boring episode. It has been said numerous times and it's gonna be said again. Show has some serious pacing problems.

Little to no action. Eugene talks too fast and talks too damn much. He's getting into Negan territory.

IDK why Rick is so persistent with wanting GPK's help when he knows about Oceanside. 

Nothing stood out this episode at all. Not the acting, plot, characters, nothing.

Think writers are trying to outdo themselves with making each season progressively worse than the former.

Garbage episode.

Edited by ShadowSixx
  • Love 11

I hate Jadis, but why did they all surrender to Rick when they put him in a deathmatch?

One episode left and I still can't comprehend the plan. I still remember the sick Rick scenes and the foreboding monologues from a few episodes ago, so maybe nearly everyone dies. Somehow that doesn't bother me.

Rick's insistence on killing Negan no longer carries any emotional weight. All it means is that we will have to endure many more missed opportunities while TPTB set up the confrontation.

Edited by Iguessnot
  • Love 12

Caught the last 10 minutes of this episode because I was more invested in the Carol Burnett 50th anniversary infomercial for her DVD collection. Anyhoo... I was just in time to see Rick in his boxer shorts fight zombie on a stick. And then tell Garbage Pail Sally that she needs to give him back his clothes and follow him to Sanctuary.  Really???  Really, show?  Is this what we've devolved into?  Lawt, please don't put horseshit on a plate and tell me it's pate.  This show has become a sad, sad, SAD shadow of it's former incarnation.  This is no better than "Fear the Walking Dead".   Yes.  I said it! 

• Love 18

I had hope for this season, but clearly the show is desperately scrambling for plot devices to keep this "so-called" war going for the whole season. Again, it is trapped by the comic material. However, I remain committed to giving it until the end of this season.

• Love 2

I really don't like Jadis & the Garbage group. It has never been explained why she has lost her vocabulary. Making Rick fight a walker is dumb.

Why would Rick even bother to deal with this group in the first place?

• Love 11
1 hour ago, HighMaintenance said:

. Anyhoo... I was just in time to see Rick in his boxer shorts fight zombie on a stick.

Maybe I'll watch this after all, just for the major WTF-ery. But there's an idea: Have Negan and Rick fight each other in their boxers. Whoever wins has the biggest dick. End of series.

• Love 11

So, Daryl, Tara, and Morgan decide to go through with the crash-a-truck plan.  Michonne and Rosita don't like it..so...they leave?  I guess whatever happens, happens.  No point in knowing what that will be, I guess.  And then Daryl and Tara RUN AWAY?  So they drive a truck into the building and everyone leaves, having no idea what the outcome was.   Weren't they supposed to meet Rick there?  How were they not staking out the Sanctuary in the first damn place in case someone DID escape?  Now they've ALL apparently escaped with no one around to stop them.  Stupid. 

• Love 8

I realize I'm standing completely alone, but I just can't bring myself to hate Eugene. I get a lot of grief on the AMC forum over my love for him, (and I'm probably biased due to the fact that Josh Mcdermitt rocks my world) but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. 

A lot of people hated my beloved Merle until his final atonement. Still hoping Eugene will redeem himself.

Daryl going off half cocked will have dire consequences. I like Tara, but when did she become one of the cool kids? 

I missed the King, the "AX", and "psycho woman" as that dying Savior refereed to them as. In all seriousness Ezekiel's smile is the fire that lights my soul in the world of TWD.

• Love 8
1 minute ago, DixonVixen2359 said:

I realize I'm standing completely alone, but I just can't bring myself to hate Eugene. I get a lot of grief on the AMC forum over my love for him, (and I'm probably biased due to the fact that Josh Mcdermitt rocks my world) but I am giving him the benefit of the doubt. 

A lot of people hated my beloved Merle until his final atonement. Still hoping Eugene will redeem himself.

Daryl going off half cocked will have dire consequences. I like Tara, but when did she become one of the cool kids? 

I missed the King, the "AX", and "psycho woman" as that dying Savior refereed to them as. In all seriousness Ezekiel's smile is the fire that lights my soul in the world of TWD.

I don't hate Eugene.  I wasted a lot of time feeling sorry for him before he redeemed himself in the past, so I'm not getting too excited about what's going on.  I'm sure we're supposed to realize that Eugene is tormented by his actions, therefore turning to alcohol to assuage his pain.   I just think it's short sided of the writers to take two characters, Eugene and FPP (who took forever to win over the viewers), and involve them in questionable situations again.

Meanwhile, we have two of our best female fighters randomly making exclamations such as, "I believe in Rick Grimes", and leaving their loved ones, Carl and Judith included, unguarded as they take a little day trip to check out the sitch.

Morgan has rounded up a group of sharp shooters who for some reason weren't present during the initial "plan", and Rick is strutting around in his panties trying to seduce laconic garbage artistes.  

• Love 10

The Walking Stupidity. Holy cow.

Can Carol please just grab Ezekiel's cane and say 'fine you stew in your man pain, King, I have more important things to do', go out and find all her former teammates and just whack them all over the head for being the dumbest dumb that ever dumbed? Then use the blade in Zeke's cane to cut off Eugene's mullet so he will magically disintegrate. And then tell her children how it's done. Carol is like my last hope if only because on a dumb scale of 1-10, she's betting maybe a 3 where as all the others are at 50. I don't hold much hope for seeing that on my screen however, since Carol is apparently shackled to Zeke's 'main pain'. Urgh. *bangs head on table*

• Love 11
7 minutes ago, FortKnox said:

I just want to know how much time has passed from the season premiere till this ep.  I'm thinking it's been one day AT BEST.

The no good, terrible, horrible, very bad, BORING day.   

• Love 8
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

"and pretentious claims to knowledge". 

Well he has some knowledge, my problem is that he is the only one on this show with some, all the others are dumb.

"Where the hell does Eugene find all of his retro tech? An Atari 2600, an Ipod, a battery powered cassette player. . . "

Don't forget Rick/Jadis with the Polaroid wasting flash bulbs that comes from nowhere...   

The problem with those apocalypse tv shows is that technology ceased to exist in the 80's.  They all have a cathodic television with static playing somewhere, like Eugene...  what happened with the millions of flat screen tv's? 

• Love 3

At this glacial pacing, the next season will be a reconstruction of the final hour of battle from 16 different perspectives... one episode devoted to each person's real time view.

I mean it's kind of like this already, but I imagine it even being more dragged out.

Whoever writes this is just cut and pasting Yoda's syntactical patterns onto Jadis and I don't know where they are getting Eugene's lines from but they've gone past the point of eccentric into SNL like parody.

Just find any old writer at the academy retirement home and give them something to do for God's sake... anyone who wrote old episodes of Mannix or the Partridge Family could do better job than this, it's just shockingly poor.  I love this show, but whoever is running and or writing this is killing it.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, DixonVixen2359 said:

A lot of people hated my beloved Merle until his final atonement.

Oh, you’re making me sad to remember there was a time on this show with compelling and complex characters like Merle Dixon, amazing actors like Michael Rooker, and heartbreaking storylines like Merle’s Last Stand. What the hell happened to this show?

• Love 20

Can we get subtitles for Eugene?   The actor's annoying mouthful-o'-marbles delivery is already problematic, but saddling him with pretentious, preposterous dialogue only compounds the problem.

Better yet, can't they just kill Eugene?   I have hated this character since day one.

• Love 15

Where was Simon this episode? I don't remember seeing him.

Let me see if I understand The Plan. Declare all out war on the Saviors, ignoring their allies the GPK - no lookouts, no snipers to keep an eye on a group that you know has some way of contacting the Saviors, maybe even by radio. Then, when all of your forces are committed, send your leader alone and unarmed to meet with the group that has betrayed him and tried to kill him, to ask if they want to be friends, for reals this time. Oh, and ignore the perfect opportunity to kill Negan (two, if you count FPP in the  trailer). The level of stupidity is staggering.

The more Rick insists he will kill Negan, the more I am convinced he will have one of those "If I do that, I'm no better than you" moments. Maybe next season, each episode will end with a Negan monologue, like  the original Seinfeld ones.

I want a  scene of Zeke saying "A tiger, a tiger! My kingdom for a tiger!"

Edited by Gobi
Content
  • Love 8

Maybe FTWD IS going to be the better show.

Wait. Did I just say that?

Well, I am waiting for Fear to come back on, and I’m less-than-patiently waiting for TWD to leave.

Note to Producers —Somehow you screwed up. Big.

Edited by JackONeill
  • Love 5

This episode should have been called, "Time For Sleep and Confusion". 

When I wasn't nodding off, I was thoroughly confused. It didn't help that a great chunk of the dialogue was from two of the most language-challenged characters in TWD universe - Jadis and Eugene. 

Look, I used to like Eugene. But I have no time for his cowardly sycophant ways. And I just can't listen to THAT much talking from him. I hate feeling that way, because Josh McDermott always seems like such a fun, affable guy. But the insistence on Eugene embracing this clipped, southern accent and speaking as if he's reading a badly written instruction manual was just WRONG. It only works if he is a side character, and throws a funny quip out there once in awhile. But I can't handle entire scenes of his nonsense. I just can't. 

Not to mention - I don't even get what is going on with the dude. He threatens Dwight - "no more sabotage or I'm going to tell on you". But then he doesn't tell. Likewise, Dwight threatens to kill him, but kills the drone instead (which wasn't even that great of an idea by Eugene standards; why hadn't someone thought of that earlier?) So never mind; maybe this episode should have been called "Empty Threats". 

Likewise, don't get the point of Rick being held captive by the GPK when all the ended up doing was agreeing to what he wanted. What, because he fought a walker? Again, either too tired or just super confused. And Jadis was only going to agree if she got half of the Saviors loot and could use Rick as a nude model for her community college art class....but then she just capitulated and didn't gain an inch. Why? Are we supposed to believe she's THAT captivated by Sweaty Curly Sue? 

At this point, I don't even want to debate the moral ramifications of Daryl's plan vs. Rick's - I'm all about Daryl's, just to get stuff MOVING. 

Don't even get me started about the taunting in regards to next week's episode. Their insistence on writing episodes around being a finale has really left a sour taste in my mouth. Almost makes me not want to watch in protest. 

• Love 16
10 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

I don’t even know what he’s saying.  Did he say father pee looks like a potato and poop casserole?  

Until I read this, I had COMPLETELY forgotten that Gabriel died. Thanks, TWD. Way to make a character interesting and then give them the most meaningless death ever. 

(Wait, he is dead, isn't he? Wasn't that his body Rick found at the end? Or was I so in and out of sleep that I imagined it?)

• Love 2

I don’t think Father P died. I think Rick found another black guy who was acting as outlook/sniper, supposedly keeping any eye on Negan’s compound. Now, what killed him, I don’t know. I guess we are to believe that when Negan’s people bailed, one of them killed him on their way out of Dodge. (Which won’t look good on his “Outlook” resume.)

I don’t know any of this, of course. It’s just that I’ve gotten to the point that I write my own script. Things make more sense to me that way.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, ShadowSixx said:

Another boring boring episode. It has been said numerous times and it's gonna be said again. Show has some serious pacing problems.

Little to no action. Eugene talks too fast and talks too damn much. He's getting into Negan territory.

IDK why Rick is so persistent with wanting GPK's help when he knows about Oceanside. 

Nothing stood out this episode at all. Not the acting, plot, characters, nothing.

Think writers are trying to outdo themselves with making each season progressively worse than the former.

Garbage episode.

I completely forgot about Oceanside...

So, did Gabriel get bit or does he just have an infection? I have no idea what's going on there.  

I WANT to like Eugene. I used to like him. I know he's a coward, but I've been hoping that he's  playing the long con this whole time but I guess not.  Why not rat out Dwight? If he's all about self-preservation then handing him over to Negan would more than likely keep him safe.  Maybe I need to watch this episode again.  

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

Until I read this, I had COMPLETELY forgotten that Gabriel died. Thanks, TWD. Way to make a character interesting and then give them the most meaningless death ever. 

(Wait, he is dead, isn't he? Wasn't that his body Rick found at the end? Or was I so in and out of sleep that I imagined it?)

Whut?  Did he die, and was he looking like a potato poop casserole because of the walker entrails?  

• Love 1

I wasn't sure what we were supposed to make of what happened to FPP either.

I've been one to defend Eugene in the past because he's been one of the few characters on this show who clearly knows what he's not:  He's not a hero.  He's not brave.  Excepting the doomed RV run at the end of season 6 he can usually be counted on to do the pragmatic thing rather than something lethally foolhardy that only works out at the last second because reasons and plot armor.  I also admit to a certain amusement that for all of the big badasses so readily dismissing him, he's managed to convince those badasses to protect him over and over again.

It makes sense that he probably finds it flattering to finally be taken seriously and rewarded for what he knows and what he can do, along with the perks of video games and pickles.  And sure, as he says, his own safety is important.  But it's inconsistent to the character to have him 100 percent hearts and flowers all in for Negan, especially as we know that he's smart enough to realize that if Team Rick does manage to knock off Negan that it's going to be open season on him from his former cohorts.   The Eugene that we've been watching up until now would have been hedging his bets and waiting to see how this whole thing plays out.  For all his blathering (and here I admit that I was only following about half of what he was saying in any given monologue) and kissing of hands, he's clearly not as Go Team Negan as he thinks he is or he would ratted Dwight out.  I also realize in saying that that I've probably just given the character more thought than the people writing him.

Of course Negan does absolutely nothing to actually solve the problem while bragging about how he's impossible to kill.  He wouldn't be the complete caricature that he is if he didn't.

• Love 13

These writers truly suck at - well - everything.

Here's what should have happened.  Dwight kills Eugene on the roof.  Dwight is killed by the Walkers when Daryl crashes the truck into the Savior Compound.

The garbage people should not exist.  Rick should not have bothered to go see them again.  Since the writers were already two strikes down, instead of making it three for three, they should have had Rick kill Jadis, and then we never see the trash idiots again.

I liked the scene with Negan and Gabriel when Negan confessed to not being able to kill his Walker Wife.  It was a nice recall to Negan's conversation with Carl where Carl revealed he had killed Lori so she wouldn't turn.  Gabriel and Eugene's conversation was just dumb.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, FortKnox said:

I just want to know how much time has passed from the season premiere till this ep.  I'm thinking it's been one day AT BEST.

It's like they crossed with the show "24" and are playing things out in real time:  24-Walking Dead edition

• Love 5