Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E07: Time For After

halgia
  • Start Topic

24 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

I don't even know who I would call a good actor. I thought Gregory was, until I saw he has only two affects and expressions - frightened and/or conniving. Andrew Lincoln is only really good when he's being threatening, domineering or crazy. When he's trying to be placating, cajoling or *shudder* romantic, he sucks big time. The worst example of this was his big cringe-worthy 'I don't want you to die" speech to Jessie. He actually sounded brain-damaged.

I wouldn't include Lincoln in the "good actor " list either, he's terrible.  Melissa McBride is good.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Nashville said:

A (large?) portion of Rick’s plan was to communicate through both word and action the Saviors were HAK’s target, not the workers - hopefully alienating worker support for the Saviors, and thereby significantly reducing the number of Sanctuary occupants directly opposing them.  

So, basically, "If we shoot out all their windows and surround the place they live in with zombies, we'll be welcomed as liberators."

I'm with Daryl on this one.

• Love 8
Just now, Dobian said:

I wouldn't include Lincoln in the "good actor " list either, he's terrible.  Melissa McBride is good.

I think Andrew Lincoln was very good early on, really up until after they arrived at ASZ, which is when he started to morph into this sporadically crazy, wild-eyed, super intense, kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out kind of character.  I mean, he had incidents before, like with the Terminus people and then the Claimers when he went "all medieval on their asses" (h/t Pulp Fiction) but those were immediate specific threats, people who attacked him or his group right then and there.     I think part of the difficulty I have accepting Lincoln's current performance is that I can't decide if the writers are meaning to show Rick as someone who's degenerating into this feral paranoid creature, presumably because of the earlier incidents, or if we're supposed to buy the idea that he's still motivated by family and a desire for a peaceful, secure future.  Part of the problem with seeing this latter motivation as what drives the character is that we've seen so little of ASZ this season.  There's been minimal interaction with the family or the community that he's supposedly out there killing people for.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Dodginblue said:

I think the best acting was turned in by Jon Bernthal (Shane) and it's no surprise to me that he's gone on to a lot of other projects, feature films, TV, etc.  He's featured on Netflix right now in The Punisher.    I think Herschel (Scott Wilson) was well done and of course Michael Rooker as Merle and I thought Tovah Feldshuh (Deanna) did a good job with her role.

Couldn't agree more. Too bad they're all long gone. Bernthal is definitely talented. He's one of those few actors who can speak volumes without a saying a word. Scott Wilson is another wonderful actor.  I didnt' recognize him since the only other vehicle in which I'd ever seen him is "In Cold Blood" and he's changed a bit in the last 50 years. As for Norman Reedus, I think he might have been pretty good in the first seasons, before the writers decided to do away with anything he had that resembled a personality. Now he just mutters and nods while peering out from his curtain of filthy hair.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

So, basically, "If we shoot out all their windows and surround the place they live in with zombies, we'll be welcomed as liberators."

We must destroy this village in order to save it.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Compare the suspenseful, wrenching final meeting of the Gov and Merle to Rick and Negan's confrontations filled with empty threats ("I'm gonna kill you!") and Negan's scathing retort - "My dick is bigger than yours, Rick the Prick!") Wow, can this show deteriorate any further? Now Merle was someone who should have had his own episode. It would have been epic, unlike the "Loopy Adventures of Tara" or "Beth Meets the Lollicops and Eats a Guinea Pig" or the dread, "Dwight Takes a Stroll Down Memory Lane,"

Don't you dare impugn the comedic genius of the lollicop stupidity by comparing it to the current stupidity!  The only scenes that I still kind of enjoyed were the GPK, because I'm working on the hypothesis that they don't actually really care about any of this and are just forcing everybody they meet into weird awkward improv sketches.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 6
16 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Couldn't agree more. Too bad they're all long gone. Bernthal is definitely talented. He's one of those few actors who can speak volumes without a saying a word. Scott Wilson is another wonderful actor.  I didnt' recognize him since the only other vehicle in which I'd ever seen him is "In Cold Blood" and he's changed a bit in the last 50 years. As for Norman Reedus, I think he might have been pretty good in the first seasons, before the writers decided to do away with anything he had that resembled a personality. Now he just mutters and nods while peering out from his curtain of filthy hair.

I put that down to Daryl not being 'canon' so the writers can't fit him into the comic book world.  To the extent I find him interesting at all now, it's watching how he still maintains the loner persona even though he's an accepted and trusted member of the community.   

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

Don't you dare impugn the comedic genius of the lollicop stupidity by comparing it to the current stupidity! 

I suppose you're right, but maybe you're not seeing it the right way. The guinea pig! Lying whole on its back on the plate with its little feet sticking up straight in the air. The Lollicops, looking like every parody of smirky, sneering, rapey sadists reveling in their own evil.  Beth, getting her face smashed every time she turned around, because she never learned to stay arm's length from Dawn. By then I was hoping this story would last long enough for her face to be covered in those big, black ropey stitches, like the Bride of Frankenstein.

22 minutes ago, CletusMusashi said:

I still kind of enjoyed were the GPK, because I'm working on the hypothesis that they don't actually really care about any of this and are just forcing everybody they meet into weird awkward improv sketches.

Cool. If I think of it that way, I might decided to watch this latest episode. You guys! Just when I think I'm OUT, you just keep pullin' me back IN!

• Love 3

Finally!  Something happened in the 15 minutes of show sandwiched between 45 minutes of commercials.

I was disappointed though when they cut away from serious Eugeneness to Rick, who's finally put on his big boy pants.  But seriously - he's going to trust Jadis AGAIN?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Finally!  Something happened in the 15 minutes of show sandwiched between 45 minutes of commercials.

I was disappointed though when they cut away from serious Eugeneness to Rick, who's finally put on his big boy pants.  But seriously - he's going to trust Jadis AGAIN?

Not only did Rick stupidly trust Jadis again, he just arrived at the Savior Compound to find his sniper people gone, the Saviors gone, and the Walker horde gone.  All that's left is Rick and several of Jadis' people, the people who have stabbed Rick in the back how many times now?  I've been saying it for a couple of seasons now, but Rick and company are seriously to stupid to live.

Maggie was foolish for going along with Jesus in keeping the Saviors prisoners, but at the very least they should have killed the long haired Savior who keeps causing problems.  They executed people while they slept, but they don't kill people who have shown themselves to be a threat over and over again.

And, oh yeah, when Negan and his henchmen were out in the open, all lined up in a row, being easy targets, they didn't kill any of them.

• Love 6

I apologize to y'all.  This mess is all my fault.  See, every season when I'm forced to watch Fear the Walking Dead, I consistently comment that at least I have TWD to enjoy.

And now, this...fuckery.

This show looks like a potato and poop casserole. Whatever that is supposed to mean, Eugene.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Apricotte said:

I could also cry about how bad it's become. I got into this show later, and binged watched seasons 1-5 and was OBSESSED. The past two seasons make me sad; I don't think there's any way to recover from this awful Negan storyline and have the show return to being really good again. I'm attached to a few of the characters though so I'll watch it through. I think I will anyway, even Rick is losing me lately.

13 hours ago, Dodginblue said:

He also saved Tara and tried to lure the walkers away from the door where Glen and Noah were trapped, on that supply run with the ASZers, the episode where Noah got killed.  And he went out and joined the fight when the walkers invaded ASZ.  

13 hours ago, peach said:

One of my favorite episodes is when Daryl went off with Merle, and they had that confrontation in the woods about when Merle left home, and left Daryl to be abused by their father.  My God.  The characterization for both of them.  And in the end, Daryl went "home."  And Merle followed him for a change.   And Daryl was right about the Yellowjacket River for a nice little detail at the end. 

13 hours ago, Dobian said:

Yay another episode built around Eugene, a character we all love.  With an extra dose of Tara thrown in.  Great job, show.  Please make the mid season finale a day in the life of Gregory.

"Okay Jadis, you betrayed me and then shot me, then you threw me naked into a shipping container, then you tried to feed me to a walker, then you tried to shoot me again.  For the last time, do we or do we not have a deal?"

This show's logic completely baffles me.  If Dwight wants Negan dead so much, he has a gun, go walk into his office and shoot him.  What does that have to do with stopping Eugene from TRYING TO SAVE ALL YOUR LIVES?

12 hours ago, FishyJoe said:

So Rick singlehandedly beats the garbage people with his hands tied behind his back and he wants them to fight for him. They have to be the worst fighters ever.

And then he just takes their word for it after he makes a deal. Like they never betrayed them and they are completely trustworthy. You know, they people who say they take. These are the people you trust AGAIN.

20 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Teenaged boys don't usually care too much for continuity, strong storylines, suspense, well-drawn characters or logic. They just want to see guts and gore and rocket launchers and shit being blown up. I have no doubt that's the audience that made the comics so popular.

I never heard of him before this show, but I think so too. I started to like him when he was the only one - (IMO and at any rate the only one who touched me) - able to convincingly display extreme horror and grief when Abe and Glenn bought it. I still don't blame him fo going to Negan. There was nothing and no one to keep him in Alexandria. Morgan and Maggie are worse, I think - Morgan for letting the wolves go and arming them on their way out, and Maggie for bringing in the very people complicit in her husband's brutal murder. Why am I going on about this? None of it makes the least sense anyway.

8 hours ago, CletusMusashi said:

My question is shouldn't all this moralizing on who to spare have been done before they started a war?  

I really do not understand the garbage pail scene since Jadis and her crew have proven that they can not be trusted.  I would hope that they are being set up as cannon fodder but I no longer trust the writers.  Also the writers think it is so funny the way Jadis lusts after Rick,  which comes off as lame.

The writers thought that Negan would become this show's Gus Fring...an amazingly fascinating villain who is in many ways superior to the main protagonist.  Instead we have Steve Urckel with a baseball bat.  A sad parody of an alpha male obviously thought up by someone who is an Omega at best.

I agree with everyone that some of the best actors are gone and sorely missed.

The writing is so bad that I am just going to call it right now, Eugene will probably do something incredibly self sacrificing to help Rick's side win the war and we are not supposed to see it coming.  He might take a hidden bomb to a meeting that will kill everyone but Neegan.

• Love 10
13 hours ago, Dobian said:

This show's logic completely baffles me.  If Dwight wants Negan dead so much, he has a gun, go walk into his office and shoot him.  What does that have to do with stopping Eugene from TRYING TO SAVE ALL YOUR LIVES?

It's like Negan is bulletproof which makes no sense and it also makes no sense how certain characters want certain people to be dead but don't take the initiative to do it themselves. Or they become such horrible shooters for no damn reason at all.

• Rick tells Negan twice that he's going to kill him. Yet had an opportunity when only feet away from him to shoot him and sprays his bullets everywhere but at Negan. 
  • Rosita wants Negan dead and stands 3ft away from him and shoots his bat instead
  • Tara wanted Dwight dead but yells at Daryl to do it when she could have done it herself
  • Morgan wants to kill Jared but doesn't because Jesus said not to. Last I check Jesus' words isn't law just go ahead and kill Jared. 
  • Tara wanted to kill that one savior but didn't because Jesus said he put his hands up. So what Tara, go ahead and do it. 
  • Ladies wanted Eugene to help them kill Negan but why go to Eugene. Why not talk to your real husbands.
  • Dwight wants Negan killed and has a gun but does absolutely nothing.
  • Negan wants to personally kill Rick, Maggie, & Ezekiel but not doing anything to remotely capture them.

What are they afraid of? The consequences of their actions. They're afraid Rick, Maggie or Zeke are gonna sit them in a corner with a dunce cap. Not in a war when they need the numbers. Hell we know Rick has forgiveness. He accepted Carol back after banning her from the prison for killing Karen and David. 

I agree with the poster about Sasha's presence being missed. I miss her as she was one of my favorite characters. Show would probably be better if characters like Sasha, Merle, Shane, Glenn, even dumbass Andrea. Especially Glenn with barely ever killing a human and not wanting to killl humans cause he was uncomfortable at one of the Saviors' compounds. Glenn would have been the pacifist that Jesus is now this season and it would have made sense as to why he is a pacifist. 

• Love 6

Teenaged boys don't usually care too much for continuity, strong storylines, suspense, well-drawn characters or logic. They just want to see guts and gore and rocket launchers and shit being blown up. I have no doubt that's the audience that made the comics so popular.

That also seems to be the audience the TV show is written for these days. Gore, spectacle, and effects are all they seem to care about. Which is the whole reason I was never interesting in the zombie genre in the first place. It's just an excuse for mindless violence and gore. But that's not what this show was - not in the beginning, anyway. But now? It really is. Sad.

• Love 10
6 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

It just seems that there are more plot holes in this show than ever before.  They need to button this shit up.

Daryl's plan was a shit plan from the start.  As soon as he broke through the barrier and into the building with that truck, he gave an avenue of escape for the walkers.  The walkers were no longer penned in, and the same could be said for the Saviors and workers.  Sure, some of the Saviors and perhaps workers would be killed, but certainly not all of them.  Eventually the walkers would wonder off for another source of food.  Or, the walkers would be spread so thin that the Saviors and workers would stand a better chance to get past them.

Rick's plan from what we know of it sucked as well, because it was nothing more than a waiting game.  Anything can happen in the ZA when a waiting game is involved.

Honestly, the idea that no one could escape the Sanctuary because of a herd of walkers was already stupid.  Our Gang has escaped herds of walkers numerous times.  Also, there is a distinct lack of tunnels on this show.   Alexandria has a tunnel, but they just ignore that now, like everything else.

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, peach said:

Alexandria has a tunnel, but they just ignore that now, like everything else.

Well, tunnel, sewer pipe, whatever.  But it was filled with Potato & Poop walkers.  And wasn't there some wrought iron gate at the end of said pipe that stymied Aaron and terminally pregnant Maggie?

Edited by HighMaintenance
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, cmfran said:

Anyone else planning on quitting this show after the mid-season finale? I'm seriously considering it.

It's going to be hard enough to slog through the MSF.  It's been a year and half IRL since Glenn was killed (although they waited another 6 months to reveal it), what's been just a few weeks in TWD time.  A year and a half!  And 7 episodes to conduct a few vague days (?) of All Out War/Everyone Abandoning The Plan Immediately.

3 minutes ago, HighMaintenance said:

Well, tunnel, sewer pipe, whatever.  But it was filled with Potato & Poop walkers.  And wasn't there some wrought iron gate at the end of said pipe that stymied Aaron and terminally pregnant Maggie?

One would think they would clean the walkers out, fix the gate, and make it a useful escape tunnel/secret entrance.  If one were conducting, say, an All Out War.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, cmfran said:

Anyone else planning on quitting this show after the mid-season finale? I'm seriously considering it.

I think I maybe already have. I have the last 4 episodes in my DVr with no desire to watch them.  I read the threads to get a general idea of what is going on and nothing in them has intrigued me enough to go watch. I mean nothing. Vague interest when I heard Andrew Lincoln was in nothing but his underwear fighting zombies but saw a screen cap of that and....nope. Nothing beats the gloriousness of the just got out of the shower scene when they arrived in Alexandria.  I totally just veered off topic. What was I saying? 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peach said:

Honestly, the idea that no one could escape the Sanctuary because of a herd of walkers was already stupid.  Our Gang has escaped herds of walkers numerous times.  Also, there is a distinct lack of tunnels on this show. 

Well as I sort of half-ass understand the half-ass plan, snipers were in place presumably to shoot down any of the Saviors who managed to escape out of the building and got by the walkers.

8 hours ago, ShadowSixx said:

It's like Negan is bulletproof which makes no sense and it also makes no sense how certain characters want certain people to be dead but don't take the initiative to do it themselves. Or they become such horrible shooters for no damn reason at all.

• Rick tells Negan twice that he's going to kill him. Yet had an opportunity when only feet away from him to shoot him and sprays his bullets everywhere but at Negan. 
  • Rosita wants Negan dead and stands 3ft away from him and shoots his bat instead
  • Tara wanted Dwight dead but yells at Daryl to do it when she could have done it herself
  • Morgan wants to kill Jared but doesn't because Jesus said not to. Last I check Jesus' words isn't law just go ahead and kill Jared. 
  • Tara wanted to kill that one savior but didn't because Jesus said he put his hands up. So what Tara, go ahead and do it. 
  • Ladies wanted Eugene to help them kill Negan but why go to Eugene. Why not talk to your real husbands.
  • Dwight wants Negan killed and has a gun but does absolutely nothing.
  • Negan wants to personally kill Rick, Maggie, & Ezekiel but not doing anything to remotely capture them.

What are they afraid of? The consequences of their actions. They're afraid Rick, Maggie or Zeke are gonna sit them in a corner with a dunce cap. Not in a war when they need the numbers. Hell we know Rick has forgiveness. He accepted Carol back after banning her from the prison for killing Karen and David. 

I think it’s simpler than that; everybody wants to be the Good Guy, and nobody wants to be the Bad Guy.

• Rick has Negan standing bare-assed defenseless on an open loading dock, surrounded by his top Savior lieutenants.  Now, even by Rick’s intended plan this was a perfect strike opportunity; only Saviors would be killed -no worker bees - and it wouldn’t just be lopping the head off the beast, it would be removing the entire upper torso.  The vast majority of the war could have been concluded in a single volley of fire, and think of all the lives which saved by such an action.  But Rick is afraid shooting first means he wouldn’t be the Good Guy any more, so dozens (hundreds?) are sacrificed in service to Rick’s PR image.
  • I wouldn’t include Rosita in your list; Rosita saw her shot and took it without wavering.  Blame the writers, not Rosita, for the notion of Negan reacting in 0.005 seconds to block a bullet with a damn ball bat.  P. S. Writers: take a fucking physics class, will ya?  Even if the bullet didn’t split the bat and continue on into Negan’s brain, it sure as hell would’ve at least knocked it back into his face.  Let Negan eat some barbed wire for a change.
  • Tara wants Dwight dead, but she doesn’t want to be the Bad Guy either.  Her solution?  “KILL HIM, DARYL!!!  KILL HIM NOW!!!”
  • Morgan?  Same as Rosita, but less so; Morgan was perfectly fine with ventilating Goldilocks’ brain pan, but it turns out Morgan ain’t such hot shit with that stick after all - unless he’s fighting walkers or half-stoned-looking Woofs.  Hippy Dippy Shake kicked Morgan’s ass without really working up a sweat.  Go play with your stick some more, Morgan; you need the practice.
  • Tara AGAIN?  Fuck Tara.  Done with Tara.  Tara is a wuss.
  • Negan’s wives should’ve had it easier than any.  They have access to the kitchen and the knives, don’t they?  At least one of them read through Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar in high school or college Lit class, didn’t they?  Can’t tell me there’s no way at least several of them can’t get a shot at the back of Negan’s neck with a blade while he’s recreating in his harem - but they’re scared of what his lieutenants (once they’re done pissing in their collective pants) will do to the Bad Guys, so life - and Negan - continue to merrily roll on top of them.
  • Dwight has the desire to be both Good Guy and Bad Guy at different times.  Dwight lacks the testicular fortitude to be a Good Guy, though - and although I think Dwight’s natural inclinations are MUCH stronger towards Bad Guy-ism, he is not equipped with the capabilities to follow such inclination.  Take killing someone, ANYONE, for example; gun or crossbow, doesn’t matter - Dwight is one of the shittiest shots alive.  Dwight makes an Imperial stormtrooper look like the marksman in a fucking Wild West show.  Hell, we only know of ONE occasion in the entirety of the Zombie Apocalypse when Dwight actually hit who or what he was aiming at - and that was a single (runaway) Savior, he was WALKING away from Dwight, Dwight shot him in the back, and I am thoroughly convinced the ONLY reason Dwight hit THIS poor schlep was there was nobody else for Dwight to shoot by accident on the whole damn street.  Dwight is firmly encamped in the land of Guy Limbo, watching the waters of the Wussy River feed into Lake Lackoballs.
  • Negan likes to present himself as a Good Guy upon whom necessity has cast the curse of needing to do Bad Guy things - sometimes really really drastic Bad Guy things - for Good Guy reasons.  Now, Negan may be a Good Guy who really believes this, which would make him either a megalomaniac or one of the saner people left on Planet Earth.  Negan may also simply be a Bad Guy who has developed - and done a stellar job of marketing - a con which is simply astonishing in both breadth and brutality.  IMHO we simply don’t yet know enough about Negan to know which is the case - in terms of motivation, anyway.  Negan’s actions are definitely on the Bad Guy side.

The problem with all this is in a war, Good Guy and Bad Guy are terms too drastically oversimplified to be of much use.  The vast majority of the time neither side in a survival-focused war is purely good nor purely evil; both will view that which supports their continued survival as Good, and that which threatens it as Bad - and barring the introduction of a third external force which threatens both combatants, those views will pretty much by definition always be polar opposites.

So over-worrying about whether you’re coming off in the eyes of others as a Good Guy or Bad Guy is, in the grand scheme of things, pretty much useless dick-pulling.

Hear that, Rick?

Edited by Nashville
Clarification/expansion
  • Love 4

The Sunday Cable ratings are in for Episode 807, "Time For After":

Two weeks after hitting a six-year low among adults 18-49, “The Walking Dead” went still lower.

Sunday’s episode led the cable rankings for the day by a long shot, but “TWD’s” 3.3 rating in adults 18-49 and 7.47 million viewers were the lowest marks for the show since November 2011 and March 2012. [7.468 million viewers]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-dec-3-2017/

Here are the Live + Same Day ratings for Season 8 so far:

10-22-17 “Mercy” 11.439 million
10-29-17 “The Damned” 8.923 million
11-05-17 “Monsters” 8.519 million
11-12-17 “Some Guy” 8.688 million
11-19-17 “The Big Scary U” 7.845 million
11-26-17 “The King, The Widow, & Rick” 8.282 million
12-03-17 “Time For After” 7.468 million

Ouch.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Raven1707 said:

The Sunday Cable ratings are in for Episode 807, "Time For After":

Two weeks after hitting a six-year low among adults 18-49, “The Walking Dead” went still lower.

Sunday’s episode led the cable rankings for the day by a long shot, but “TWD’s” 3.3 rating in adults 18-49 and 7.47 million viewers were the lowest marks for the show since November 2011 and March 2012. [7.468 million viewers]

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-dec-3-2017/

Here are the Live + Same Day ratings for Season 8 so far:

10-22-17 “Mercy” 11.439 million
10-29-17 “The Damned” 8.923 million
11-05-17 “Monsters” 8.519 million
11-12-17 “Some Guy” 8.688 million
11-19-17 “The Big Scary U” 7.845 million
11-26-17 “The King, The Widow, & Rick” 8.282 million
12-03-17 “Time For After” 7.468 million

Ouch.

Is it a coincidence that ratings are higher for Negan free episodes?

1 hour ago, icemiser69 said:

Team Rick can't walk and chew gum at the same time.  No matter what they do, it eventually turns to shit.  Even if they attempted to clean out the tunnel and completed that task, the tunnel would probably collapse.

I think it is long past time for Team Rick to move on to find other places to leave in ruin.  They are already in the process of destroying four communities.  That is, if you want to include Oceanside, which Rick left the women and children defenseless.  The others of course are Alexandria, The Hilltop, and The Kingdom.

If you include the Saviors and GPK, that's actually six.  I would think at this point Rick's group would be infamous.  If in Negan's first appearance, and never ending monologue, he had been interrupted and told, "I'm Rick Grimes, this is my son, and these are my people," and Negan's response had been, "I've actually heard of you.  Allow us to escort you safely out of our territory, so you can go far far away, and I won't bash in anyone's head."  That would have made Negan one of the smartest people left on the planet.

• Love 6

When it comes to killing off problematic leaders, Negan's as dumb as Rick for not killing HIM on multiple occasions.  Even moreso, because he's had Rick at his mercy more than once.  Glenn's death was when my husband quit watching the show, and not because it bothered him emotionally.  He just thought it was unforgivably unrealistic that a guy like Negan wouldn't kill the dangerous alpha leader in order to get the group under his control.  Glenn would have been the obvious reasonable person to "lead" CDB and give tribute to the Saviors for peace, the way Ezekiel does.  You wouldn't keep Rick alive for the exact reason that this "war" is happening.  Rick might screw things up, but he doesn't quit.  So...they're both stupid.  lol

• Love 5

Regarding the GPK:

Rick was channeling Luke Skywalker threatening Jabba  on the Pleasure Barge. 

"You should have bargained Jabba (Jadis). This is the last mistake you'll ever make". 

Except Luke had a plan and Rick, well, was just Rick. 

I really wanted him to have a plan. But no.  And no one even cared where he was.  Even Michonne. So stupid.  The old Daryl and Michonne would never have let him go alone, they would have had his back. 

9 hours ago, qtpye said:

Instead we have Steve Urckel with a baseball bat.  A sad parody of an alpha male obviously thought up by someone who is an Omega at best.

Or beta at worst. I think we know who sees this swaggering, harem-collecting, bat-swinging Fonzie as the ideal Alpha.

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I was never interesting in the zombie genre in the first place. It's just an excuse for mindless violence and gore. But that's not what this show was - not in the beginning, anyway. But now? It really is. Sad.

Same. I started watching this because seeing what people will do to survive in the face of some cataclysmic event that takes away everything we know and depend on has always intrigued me. It may have started this way, but yeah - I'm also not interested in "Whoa! Cut that guy in half. Cool, man!" teenaged gore-porn and that's what this show has become.

1 hour ago, peach said:

Even moreso, because he's had Rick at his mercy more than once.

As if someone like Negan wouldn't have done away with a person who not only murdered a great number of his sleeping (comatose?) men, but is telling him "I'm going to kill you," reaches way past "illogicial" into "unbelieveably stupid and dumb." Oh, and moronic, well, unless you're a teenaged girl who gets off on the thought of Negan lusting after Rick's ass.

• Love 3
On 12/4/2017 at 2:45 PM, AngelaHunter said:

Totally. To me, Joe was unrelentingly terrifying, and in fact the more softly he spoke and the more pragmatic he was, the more terrifying he became, all wiith no bragging or dick-swinging.  He was like a "Deliverance" nightmare come to life. Where are the writers who created him and that whole scenario? Did they get fired in favour of post-pubescent boy-writers? I miss the former terribly.

"Claimed" was written by Nichole Beattie & Seth Hoffman. Nichole Beattie has not written a script since Season 4, but Seth Hoffman continued on into Season 6.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Gobi said:

Is it a coincidence that ratings are higher for Negan free episodes?

Well, there was a pretty good football game on Sunday night (Eagles vs. Seahawks) which got a 6.4 rating and 19.693 million viewers, so that's pretty fierce competition. Even so, it seems likely that there are also people out there who've had quite enough of Negan by now. Personally, I was tired of him at first sight/sound...and yet I watch.  (But don't smile.)

• Love 4
16 hours ago, peach said:

When it comes to killing off problematic leaders, Negan's as dumb as Rick for not killing HIM on multiple occasions.  Even moreso, because he's had Rick at his mercy more than once.  Glenn's death was when my husband quit watching the show, and not because it bothered him emotionally.  He just thought it was unforgivably unrealistic that a guy like Negan wouldn't kill the dangerous alpha leader in order to get the group under his control.  Glenn would have been the obvious reasonable person to "lead" CDB and give tribute to the Saviors for peace, the way Ezekiel does.  You wouldn't keep Rick alive for the exact reason that this "war" is happening.  Rick might screw things up, but he doesn't quit.  So...they're both stupid.  lol

Once Negan killed Abe, and Daryl attacked him, he should have killed Rick and the rest of his group.  Negan himself said they killed his people, he sent some more of his people to take care of them, and they killed those people to.  Negan and the Saviors had Hilltop and the Kingdom under control.  Eliminate Rick and Company, and get the people left at Alexandria under control.  The fact that the scenario of Rick, "I'm gonna kill you," Negan, "No, I'm gonna kill you," has played out over and over again just makes it that much worse.  As if that wasn't bad enough, Rick then had to go see the trash idiots again, and play out the same scenario there with Jadis.

• Love 4

Not to mention that Negan and the Saviors killed all the men of Oceanside. Oceanside ladies are the only smart ones. Instead of being Negan's bitches they got up and left to where they wouldn't be found and armed themselves in case any stranger came to their location.

• Love 3
On 12/5/2017 at 10:47 AM, iMonrey said:

That also seems to be the audience the TV show is written for these days. Gore, spectacle, and effects are all they seem to care about. Which is the whole reason I was never interesting in the zombie genre in the first place. It's just an excuse for mindless violence and gore. But that's not what this show was - not in the beginning, anyway. But now? It really is. Sad.

I agree.  I'm not a fan of the zombie-genre either but I loved TWD from the beginning.  I always thought it was about CHARACTERS and I really enjoyed most of the characters.  Sunday night was one of the lowest points in TWD history, in my opinion.  When the camera zoomed in on Eugene's vomit and STAYED there, I thought 'that's for the teenage boys'. 

• Love 4
  On 12/5/2017 at 8:47 AM, iMonrey said:

I agree.  I'm not a fan of the zombie-genre either but I loved TWD from the beginning.  I always thought it was about CHARACTERS and I really enjoyed most of the characters.  Sunday night was one of the lowest points in TWD history, in my opinion.  When the camera zoomed in on Eugene's vomit and STAYED there, I thought 'that's for the teenage boys'. 

Screw characters AND zombie gore. Lost sucked the moment it decided that "characters" mattered. What made TWD different was its setting and mythology. When the world ends, how does humanity react? And can we get the world back? That made the first three seasons of TWD excellent. And then it began to trod in circles, with a new bad guy each season, a few deaths and no one getting anywhere. I dropped out after season three, maybe a couple into season four. I read this recap because, duh, a recap! And it appears the show continues to trod, except now it does so even more glorily gleefully. Which is a shame. And a waste. And not shooting the enemy when you can? It seems to be spreading.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

The Saviors are antagonists to the nth degree.  Their demise is deserved.  They killed all of the men, leaving women and children fleeing to create the Oceanside community.  The Saviors require other communities to pay for protection or risk being destroyed.

Jadis and company are kind of tweeners.  It seems like Jadis is the type of leader that will make a deal with the last person she talks to.  Every time she talks to another person, a new deal is made.  She can't be trusted.  I don't see how her current deal with Rick will hold up any better than her original deal with Rick. 

Oceanside is only safe as long as no one finds out they exist.  They don't have any weapons to defend themselves thanks to douche bag Rick.

The Saviors are antagonists, but their community is being destroyed along with everyone else's.  Negan had the Hilltop and Kingdom mostly under control.  He also had his workers (slaves) under control.  They work so long as they are protected.  Negan screwed up when he didn't eliminate Rick and his group.  Just like Rick and company keep screwing up by not following through on the "Kill Negan Plan."  At this point, lots of people are dead, lots of food, ammunition and supplies have been used up, and these fools are still running around not accomplishing anything.  They couldn't even follow through for one day on the plan to get rid of Negan and his henchmen.  Jesus, Daryl, Rick, Michonne, Rosita, Tara, etc. have all gone off script to do whatever.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, TigerLynx said:

At this point, lots of people are dead, lots of food, ammunition and supplies have been used up, and these fools are still running around not accomplishing anything.

Maybe we should change from "CDB" to  "TWC" (The Wrecking Crew)?

This season isn't working for me -- it feels disjointed and unfocused, and characters are falling into the frustrating Lost trap of repeatedly not doing the obvious things (like not killing Negan despite being offered ample opportunity) -- so I'm watching the rest of the season only because I bought the season pass on iTunes.

It's a sad day when I find the latest season of Fear The Walking Dead more compelling.

On 5.12.2017 at 8:33 PM, Nashville said:

• I wouldn’t include Rosita in your list; Rosita saw her shot and took it without wavering.  Blame the writers, not Rosita, for the notion of Negan reacting in 0.005 seconds to block a bullet with a damn ball bat.  P. S. Writers: take a fucking physics class, will ya?  Even if the bullet didn’t split the bat and continue on into Negan’s brain, it sure as hell would’ve at least knocked it back into his face.  Let Negan eat some barbed wire for a change.

Just wondering: Have you ever taken "a fucking physics class"? Because they sure as hell teach the difference between momentum and kinetic energy there. Funnily enough the momentum of a bullet is quite similar to that of a thrown baseball, which usually does not knock the bat in anyones face.

• Love 1
On 12/4/2017 at 1:27 AM, Smad said:

The Walking Stupidity. Holy cow.

Then use the blade in Zeke's cane to cut off Eugene's mullet so he will magically disintegrate. And then tell her children how it's done. *bangs head on table*

This would work very well for me!

• Love 1

I think Jadis the trashmonger just gets off on wearing outsiders down and then having them fight a walker.  She then employs her naked sculpting to further amuse her minions.  Since she doesn't have a tiger, I guess her odd way of talking and the nudity has to be her "draw" to keep the trashkids enamored of her.  Yeah, the whole thing just seems that stupid to me.

Edited by kelslamu
  • Love 3

I have no idea why Jadis and the garbage people are even a thing. I kind of like exploring the various cultures that have formed in this new world, but this group is just....annoying. And Ricks crew must be REALLY desperate to work with them again.

I get that this show has a huge cast and it wants to give its characters more development, but I just think its a bad call to focus so many episodes around its supporting characters. Especially when its pretty much just them without them interacting with many other characters, or giving any interesting character bits. This episode is a great example of that. Eugene is good in small doses, but a whole episode of him is just a huge pain in the ass. Besides, he is just becoming such an asshole lately. Eugene was always cowardly and self centered, but now he is just a dick, even if he has some pangs about his dick behavior. I just dont care. 

• Love 1
On 06/12/2017 at 4:13 AM, cmfran said:

If Judith gets killed I think I’m out, that would be fucked up killing a TV baby for shock value. If not then I’m doomed to stay in for as long AL is there as I’m ride or die for him and I think 99.99% that Rick will live til at least the second or third last episode. My life just flashed before my eyes ?  

I always see shows through to the bitter end, I’ve sat through some really shitty finales ???. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Save Yourself said:

If Judith gets killed I think I’m out, that would be fucked up killing a TV baby for shock value. If not then I’m doomed to stay in for as long AL is there as I’m ride or die for him and I think 99.99% that Rick will live til at least the second or third last episode. My life just flashed before my eyes ?  

I always see shows through to the bitter end, I’ve sat through some really shitty finales ???. 

I think the only thing keeping me watching is the fact that I've already devoted the time to 8.5 seasons. If there was only going to be one more season, I'd see it through. But there doesn't seem to be any end in sight. Once they finish the Negan story, they'll just move on to another villain. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I have no idea why Jadis and the garbage people are even a thing. I kind of like exploring the various cultures that have formed in this new world, but this group is just....annoying. And Ricks crew must be REALLY desperate to work with them again.

I get that this show has a huge cast and it wants to give its characters more development, but I just think its a bad call to focus so many episodes around its supporting characters. Especially when its pretty much just them without them interacting with many other characters, or giving any interesting character bits. This episode is a great example of that. Eugene is good in small doses, but a whole episode of him is just a huge pain in the ass. Besides, he is just becoming such an asshole lately. Eugene was always cowardly and self centered, but now he is just a dick, even if he has some pangs about his dick behavior. I just dont care. 

The problem is they already have 3 communities (ASZ, Kingdom, Hilltop) of good guys and 1 of bad guys (Sanctuary) full of characters that need exploring. Instead of inventing one that isn't in the comics and waste time on it, use that time on the ones that are important. They should also cut the character focus down, chose characters from each community that are important and focus on them. Let the red shirts be background noise and nothing more. They also need to stop with the singular focus on a character/group to pad out episodes. I can hardly care about any of the characters anymore because they do stupid or OOC things just because the plot demands it. Instead of giving us a character journey so we understand how they got from A to B, now they just do 'because'. How hard is it to split an episode between several characters. A lot can be done even with just a few minutes of screen time to remind the audience where that characters currently is in terms of their development.

They already had too many colonies so they added even more. Stupid.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, maxmurks said:

Just wondering: Have you ever taken "a fucking physics class"? Because they sure as hell teach the difference between momentum and kinetic energy there. Funnily enough the momentum of a bullet is quite similar to that of a thrown baseball, which usually does not knock the bat in anyones face.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to say here. 

Either way, it seems to require a man on The seasoned end of middle age, who is fairly rickety looking to have the reflexes of a major leaguer.  Probably a big difference in swatting off a thrown ball vs a fired bullet in any case.   I don’t think even GianCarlo Stanton is good enough to swat off a bullet.  

23 hours ago, maxmurks said:

Just wondering: Have you ever taken "a fucking physics class"?

Yep - and I got a fucking “A” in it, too. :)

Because they sure as hell teach the difference between momentum and kinetic energy there. Funnily enough the momentum of a bullet is quite similar to that of a thrown baseball, which usually does not knock the bat in anyones face.

Guess I need to invest more in emoticons; the statement was meant to be absurd, not literal.  If the TWD universe is going to be so ridiculous as to claim a 9mm round wouldn’t slice through a Louisville Slugger like butter, then they can just go right ahead being ridiculous and pretend the force would give Negan a barbwire tooth-flossing.  You know, for our entertainment.  :>

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, Nashville said:

Guess I need to invest more in emoticons; the statement was meant to be absurd, not literal.  If the TWD universe is going to be so ridiculous as to claim a 9mm round wouldn’t slice through a Louisville Slugger like butter, then they can just go right ahead being ridiculous and pretend the force would give Negan a barbwire tooth-flossing.  You know, for our entertainment.  :>

Fair enough ;)

...although I have no idea what a Louisville Slugger is. I'm not american and don't know much about baseball (?) terminology. Doesn't mean I would not enjoy that barbwire tooth-flossing.

• Love 2