Type keyword(s) to search

S35.E07: Get to Gettin'

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, blackwing said:

But I can't remember the last time we saw contestants in the act of gastric distress.

There was a man, cannot remember who or what season, but it was recent and he got so sick from gastric distress that I think he may have had to leave.

4 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Ok but if the rest of the people Chrissy is working with are voting out those people, what is she supposed to do? These people weren't voted out by Chrissy and Chrissy alone. Do the rest of the people who voted for them also hate women? 

Unpopular opinion alert: I want Joe to stick around for a while. He's one of the few people who is bringing any sort of entertainment value to this exceptionally boring season. (Any grammar queens here? Should that have been "who is bringing" or "who are bringing"? They both sound simultaneously right and wrong to me.)

I think "who are"??

It's of course true that Chrissy didn't vote out those women by herself but there is a reason we say Kim Spradlin voted out Jonas, rather than saying Chelsea or Kat did.  Except for the Katrina vote (where it was precluded by building phony suspense with the 1-time idol) Chrissy has been portrayed as in the driver's seat for all those votes.  She wanted Roark out, she wanted Ali out, she's the one who came up with the Jessica plan this time.  Basically, Chrissy is running this goddamn game and I think she deserves credit for that, which includes taking the blame, perhaps.

I am not excited about yet another dudebro-heavy post-merge (something which, it seems to me, had gone away, but since Cambodia has come back again) but I do think there were solid strategic reasons for those moves.  We have little insight into the Katrina vote but in that case it was probably going with the flow, and since Katrina herself said she didn't trust Chrissy, it doesn't seem like a bad call.  Jessica is a classic Edgardo, as noted above.  With Roark, Chrissy accomplished a lot -- saving herself, eliminating a Healer, but most importantly, taking away Ryan's options, not only in the merge tribe but in the game at large.  He now has thrown away his best chance of aligning with Healers, and is forced, like a man facing a fork in chess, to eliminate Ali, one of his own Hustler numbers.  Ryan got clowned by Chrissy on nuSoko tribe.  It's beautiful.  I'm hoping this is the story of the season.

Anyway, so while I do get that same vibe from Chrissy, that she's not a real fan of women, at the same time all of her moves were very justifiable on game terms and she is playing a hell of a game.  I'm sure kikaha will show up soon to explain how she's playing too hard and visibly, since the other alliance could see it, and that is fair; but I think it's the only criticism one can make of Chrissy on a strictly game level.

• Love 10
45 minutes ago, KimberStormer said:

Anyway, so while I do get that same vibe from Chrissy, that she's not a real fan of women, at the same time all of her moves were very justifiable on game terms and she is playing a hell of a game.

I don't like her and I don't think she has the social game she thinks she does but from a strategic point of view, I think I agree. Her moves are sound game moves.

I will also say - and I'm not sure you'll agree - that having read the bit of the interview where Jessica accuses her of voting out women deliberately, and having seen what we have of Jessica, that maaaaybe she might be projecting a few of her own attitudes onto Chrissy. (And I know 'boy-crazy virgin Jessica' is at least in part a production construction but I feel like there is a grain of truth in there, even if it's been wildly exaggerated.)

Edited by MissEwa
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, mojoween said:

Ok I'll be that person...lava cake is terrible and all those closeup shots of medium rare steak were super gross.  Oh and I also hate bone-in rib-eye.

Oh, to be thankful for the beauty and balance which is this world - for verily and forsooth, I love all that which you hate.  :D

11 hours ago, Charlesman said:

I was hoping someone would be smart enough to ask for a well or well-done steak. Yeah, they're not as tasty, but, you get more calories out of them! Rarer steaks have fewer calories. With every calorie at a premium, it would have been worth going for a well-done steak.

Not really.  Rare and well-done have the same caloric content; well-done simply has more water cooked out of it so it draws up and presents as a denser, more compact protein package - more calories per gram, but relatively fewer grams due to water loss.  By the same token, though, the denser well-done steak takes longer to digest, which means your body burns more calories in digestion.  So it's pretty much a wash either way.  :)

• Love 9
13 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Chrissy. Plays hard. Is smart. Has her own game, rather than playing a game that would allow editing to portray her as a man's coattail rider.

I agree she is playing a good game (well, until she was one vote short of being voted out) and is probably the most deserving of the win right now, but I still don't like her.  She has a very high opinion of herself and this idea (yes, producer driven) that a SAHM going back to work to save her children = hero is ludicrous.  I'll give her credit for being the smartest one out there though and for playing her own game though.  Neither do I think ordering a beer is a sign of cozying up to the guys.  I'd choose the beer over a sugary margarita any day.

12 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Speaking of Jessica, the hate she gets simply for talking about being a virgin is super alarming to me, especially considering a) she was 100% prompted to mention it by Production and b) she actually didn't mention it that much. 

I don't hate Jessica for talking about being a virgin, but it's ridiculous that TPTB chose that nugget as her hook.  Is that really the most interesting thing about her?

• Love 3
14 hours ago, blackwing said:

I would imagine they are, it just doesn't make it onto the show.  I vividly remember Season 2 when we were treated to shots of Colby and others frantically running through the woods to the makeshift latrine and trying not to crap their pants.   I laughed my ass off.  But I can't remember the last time we saw contestants in the act of gastric distress.  I know we saw Dan Foley talking about losing his underpants while taking a dump in the ocean.  And this season we heard Simone talking about her dump in the ocean.  But it seems that they don't want us to show the frantic race anymore.

Just a couple of seasons ago Joe (70-year old ex-FBI) overate after a reward challenge and his colon blocked up and he had to be evacuated.  This was the first season with Aubry and Tai, maybe it was 3 seasons ago.

After reading the comments about Chrissy, she's a hard competitor. She's really competing hard to win the game, but I get the sense she is also competing against the women to be the top female. I need to rewatch the last two episodes.

Edited by Lamb18
13 hours ago, blackwing said:

Regarding Jessica and her constant reference to her intactness and whether the producers are eliciting those comments... they could be.  However, if that's the case, why isn't Skinny Ryan getting the same treatment?  Ryan is very clearly a virgin, he said he's never had a girlfriend and doesn't know anything about girls.  Why aren't they getting him to say similar things?  Is it because a 30 year old female virgin is viewed as some sort of exotic species whereas a young early 20ish male virgin is viewed as something else?

Well, imo, it's because Production/the editors have a lot of sexist views. But also it could be because Ryan has obviously given them a lot of other stuff to work with that they are a fan of. Perhaps Jessica really did always talk about being a virgin or perhaps Production just didn't think the other stuff she talked about made good TV. In any case I figure, based on 34 seasons of evidence, it's at least partially due to sexism.

11 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

I want Joe to stick around for a while. He's one of the few people who is bringing any sort of entertainment value to this exceptionally boring season. 

I don't find this season exceptionally boring (more like half boring lol), but I do agree that Joe brings entertainment. Honestly I find him straight-up hilarious. His "I ordered 3 desserts and 2 steaks!" had me in stitches. I watched it multiple times!

7 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

Yes and no. It's new to this version, but it's taken from Australian Survivor. (They did it without the ramp, and it lasted over an hour.)

I knew I had seen that before! I was so confused by Probst saying it was new. They should copy Australian Survivor more. And not even just with challenges.

7 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Ryan got clowned by Chrissy on nuSoko tribe.  It's beautiful.  I'm hoping this is the story of the season.

Right! I might even potentially end up a Chrissy fan if she fucks Ryan over. Good times!

I'm sure kikaha will show up soon to explain how she's playing too hard and visibly ...

This reminded me that I was thinking the other day that something I do like about Chrissy is that she's playing this kind of aggressive game simply because usually they don't cast women who play the game that way. I really wish I could bring myself to like Chrissy on a personal level. And also that I could shake the feeling that she's a 'guy's girl.'

I don't hate Jessica for talking about being a virgin, but it's ridiculous that TPTB chose that nugget as her hook.  Is that really the most interesting thing about her?

It's what Production/editing finds the most interesting and/or what they think the audience will find the most interesting, but I don't blame Jessica for that. 

44 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

After reading the comments about Chrissy, she's a hard competitor. She's really competing hard to win the game, but I get the sense she is also competing against the women to be the top female. I need to rewatch the last two episodes.

I actually don't think Chrissy is consciously trying to be the top woman, but I do think that's what she's ultimately ending up doing. 

Also, on the whole "Chrissy suggested the Jessica vote," thing, she actually didn't. She started talking about how they needed a plan b and asked who everyone thought that should be and Ryan suggested Jessica. Although considering I think Chrissy has Ryan wrapped around her little finger it's possible she actually ran the Jessica vote by him and then let him be the one to suggest it to the group.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 8

Jessica... Look. I know they make her say the virgin stuff. I know it's edited. But every. single. confessional. she had seemed to mention either that, or her love life, or Cole, or boys. I mean... 'I thought only boys could break your heart?' She seems very, very young for someone who's nearly 30 - not because she's a virgin, because I don't care about that one way or the other, but in her whole attitude to male-female relationships. 

This. Jessica came across as a giddy immature 14 year old in 30 year old's body, which is just ... weird. And creepy. 

He's one of the few people who is bringing any sort of entertainment value to this exceptionally boring season. (Any grammar queens here? Should that have been "who is bringing" or "who are bringing"? They both sound simultaneously right and wrong to me.)

Leave out the dependent clause "of the few people" and it becomes clear: "He's one who is bringing any sort of entertainment value." So "is" is correct.

• Love 9
20 hours ago, himela said:

Jessica said in interviews that she tried to talk to Chrissy but she was cold to her and that she thought that Chrissy has a problem with other women. I guess we are not crazy about our opinion for her.

Jessica is NOT the best judge of people.  Well unless you too think Cole is totally awwwwwesome.  And if I was Chrissy I'd be cold towards Jessica too.  You don't want to be seen being too friendly with a person in another alliance unless you want to be seen as a traitor towards yours.

20 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Chrissy hates women because she drinks beer. I think I have seen it all now. 

@Rachel RSL, if you are watching in another world, I went through the same portal. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Chrissy. Plays hard. Is smart. Has her own game, rather than playing a game that would allow editing to portray her as a man's coattail rider.

Excellent excellent post!

19 hours ago, blackwing said:

I did say it was an irrational comment for me to make but that I dislike her so much, everything about her bugs me.  But I still believe that she cozies up to men by acting like them.  She wants all of their attention and there's no room in her world for another woman who will challenge her position as the sole woman amongst a group of guys.  I wasn't at all surprised that she chose the huge mug of beer.  And her interactions with Roark and Jessica gave me the impression she hates women.  Not necessarily the beer.  

Huh?  It is not allowed for a woman to hang out with guys anymore?  I must have missed the memo.  Are we so divided as a society now that not only can races not mingle but now genders can't either?  And beer?  Oh the unforgivable sin of it all.

What about a guy who doesn't like sports but fancies himself a good, budding chef?  Should he hang out with his company's male, sports loving crowd at work or be thought an apostate if he sits with some women who like talking cooking on break?

In other words when did it become the most horrible thing ever to be comfortable socializing with the opposite sex more than your own?  If you are a woman who loves tech heavy talk and the women at work aren't into it then why should you hang with them at the water cooler and be bored to tears?  Why should a man who doesn't like sports or a woman who loves engineering be forced into old fashioned stereotype groupings by gender if none of the other members of their sex at work or wherever are into their passions?

How did America get so prejudiced?

4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

This reminded me that I was thinking the other day that something I do like about Chrissy is that she's playing this kind of aggressive game simply because usually they don't cast women who play the game that way. I really wish I could bring myself to like Chrissy on a personal level. And also that I could shake the feeling that she's a 'guy's girl.'

I like and agree with a lot of your post above and gave you a thumbs up but I don't understand what a "guy's girl" is?  Is that the new speak for a tomboy?  Or for liking traditional male-dominated topics more than traditionally female-dominated topics?  Aren't we beyond this stuff by now as a society?

You know it wasn't until the 70's was it that girls were even "allowed" to play in Little League.  God forbid they know anything about sports at all.  It wasn't "lady like".  Just stand around and look helpless in gym class.  Times change.  Tons of women are into sports and guys who never liked sports are finally admitting they don't and doing other things even if it involves, gasp, being a "girl's guy".  And we aren't talking Hollywood-style sexual orientation stereotypes either.  Straight men and women fit into these categories in droves.  Throw off the chains and hang with the groups that share YOUR interests I say.

Edited by green
  • Love 10

Oh come on, now they get hammers and nails to build a shelter?  What's next, a few bags of Kwik-Krete to pour a little patio where they can sit and sip from their china teacups?

Kind of weird when they got down to No Food levels, there was only pure white processed sugar left in the pantry for them to lick up.  I guess those chickens were dispatched before they had time to lay any eggs.

Speaking of nails, I didn't think it was so remarkable that Cole would reach down to pull individual nails from the packet without noticing the clue, but what happened after that?  Surely the person who picked up the packet to put it away would have spotted the paper?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, SnideAsides said:

Yes and no. It's new to this version, but it's taken from Australian Survivor. (They did it without the ramp, and it lasted over an hour.)

I'm actually really surprised they don't take more challenges from other versions of the show, to be honest. They do do it occasionally (the weird "three of you are strapped to a wheel above a dunk tank" one they kept trying to make happen circa Nicaragua was from the Dutch version, for example) but surely even a mediocre, six-out-of-ten challenge from somewhere else would be preferable to some of the shit they keep churning out now.

Yeah I hear you.  As we see they have that rectangular clearing on the beach where every challenge takes place.  Anything with water will be in the ocean and every challenge is going to have a course to traverse culminating in a puzzle or endurance.  They have a system that is comfortable for them and I don't see that changing.  We will always have 3 teams and an obscure theme, too.  

2 hours ago, green said:

I like and agree with a lot of your post above and gave you a thumbs up but I don't understand what a "guy's girl" is?  Is that the new speak for a tomboy?  Or for liking traditional male-dominated topics more than traditionally female-dominated topics?  Aren't we beyond this stuff by now as a society?

You know it wasn't until the 70's was it that girls were even "allowed" to play in Little League.  God forbid they know anything about sports at all.  It wasn't "lady like".  Just stand around and look helpless in gym class.  Times change.  Tons of women are into sports and guys who never liked sports are finally admitting they don't and doing other things even if it involves, gasp, being a "girl's guy".  And we aren't talking Hollywood-style sexual orientation stereotypes either.  Straight men and women fit into these categories in droves.  Throw off the chains and hang with the groups that share YOUR interests I say.

My politics could best be described as a combination of Marxist and traditional second wave radical feminist. I still have more male friends than female ones. My husband won't watch sports with me. Prefers music. Our daughter will, though. She's my only close female friend. Online, my friends are primarily men, because I like sports, work in tech, am a gamer, talk leftist politics, and listen to punk rock. It's possible to analyze society from an extreme left position, understand entirely why women are the way they are and advocate for them from a radical position, and still have interests that align mostly with the male stereotypes.

There are some women who have been on the show who I might think don't much like other women. I think that of Twila, for example. I just don't think that of Chrissy. She has men who are willing to follow her. Men who are helping her game. Meanwhile, the women are aligned with different men who have not been available as targets. Game decisions. Smart. Not "I am going to help this dude beat the women's alliance even though I won't win." 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Gummo said:

Jessica... Look. I know they make her say the virgin stuff. I know it's edited. But every. single. confessional. she had seemed to mention either that, or her love life, or Cole, or boys. I mean... 'I thought only boys could break your heart?' She seems very, very young for someone who's nearly 30 - not because she's a virgin, because I don't care about that one way or the other, but in her whole attitude to male-female relationships. 

This. Jessica came across as a giddy immature 14 year old in 30 year old's body, which is just ... weird. And creepy. 

Exactly.   Production can cajole, or try to draw you out, or otherwise put words in mouths, but if you don't want to say it, you don't say it.   Plus...unless it is a question on the application questionnaire:  "Are you a virgin?" then how does it come up in interviews or otherwise without volunteering the information?  See, speaking only as me, I would think something like whether or not I was a virgin would be an intensely personal subject, and not something that would come up in my general conversation.  And if someone were trying to lead the conversation to subjects I didn't want to talk about, I'd deflect the conversation elsewhere.  But Jessica obviously is not at all uncomfortable about having those conversations.  She seems kind of proud of her virginal status, and also pretty unconcerned about being a wee bit immature for an adult woman with a rather responsible job.

I don't hate her for it, but I think it is weirdly defining of her personality.

• Love 7
17 hours ago, blackwing said:

Regarding Jessica and her constant reference to her intactness and whether the producers are eliciting those comments... they could be.  However, if that's the case, why isn't Skinny Ryan getting the same treatment?  Ryan is very clearly a virgin, he said he's never had a girlfriend and doesn't know anything about girls.  Why aren't they getting him to say similar things?  Is it because a 30 year old female virgin is viewed as some sort of exotic species whereas a young early 20ish male virgin is viewed as something else?

Yup.  By all indications Jessica’s virginity is by choice, where Ryan’s is due to lack of alternatives - due to his apparent extreme shyness around girls, he’s never had the opportunity to NOT be a virgin.  It’s the difference between celibacy and a lifelong dry spell, donchaknow.  :)

1 hour ago, azshadowwalker said:

My politics could best be described as a combination of Marxist and traditional second wave radical feminist. I still have more male friends than female ones. My husband won't watch sports with me. Prefers music. Our daughter will, though. She's my only close female friend. Online, my friends are primarily men, because I like sports, work in tech, am a gamer, talk leftist politics, and listen to punk rock. It's possible to analyze society from an extreme left position, understand entirely why women are the way they are and advocate for them from a radical position, and still have interests that align mostly with the male stereotypes.

If you shoot as well, we need to hang.  :)

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Also, on the whole "Chrissy suggested the Jessica vote," thing, she actually didn't. She started talking about how they needed a plan b and asked who everyone thought that should be and Ryan suggested Jessica. Although considering I think Chrissy has Ryan wrapped around her little finger it's possible she actually ran the Jessica vote by him and then let him be the one to suggest it to the group.

Oh!  My mistake.  Hmm...Ryan has now voted out Simone, Roark, Ali, and Jessica....maybe it's Ryan who doesn't like pretty young women.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I understand a lot of people enjoy crazy and stupid but I for one just don't find it entertaining. That's the thing about "reality TV" that frustrates me so. Producers have it in their heads every season has to have some head case who's so disconnected from reality it's hysterical. They think it makes "good TV." And then we spend an entire season of posters asking "how did this guy ever pass the psych eval?" even though it happens every single season.

To be fair, most people aren't that crazy, and neither is Joe.  Loudmouths and arrogant assholes are a dime a dozen.  It's the posters who usually take it too far in diagnosing major psychological conditions, IMO.

20 hours ago, blackwing said:

I would imagine they are, it just doesn't make it onto the show.  I vividly remember Season 2 when we were treated to shots of Colby and others frantically running through the woods to the makeshift latrine and trying not to crap their pants.   I laughed my ass off.  But I can't remember the last time we saw contestants in the act of gastric distress.  I know we saw Dan Foley talking about losing his underpants while taking a dump in the ocean.  And this season we heard Simone talking about her dump in the ocean.  But it seems that they don't want us to show the frantic race anymore.

Speaking of assholes, didn't Abi Maria out Stephen as a pants pooper?  

Edited by princelina
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, SVNBob said:

Or he's an idiot that got the two confused.

Or Cole just said 8000 calories because he thought it sounded good and he had no idea he was supposed to be telling the truth.

Re Desi winning the competition:  I don't think women need to worry about being targeted as a challenge threat as much as men do.  Many times we've seen big muscular men voted out for fear that they'll go on an immunity streak, when they have actually won nothing, while the women's wins are dismissed as a fluke.  You go ahead and win, Desi!

• Love 7

Do I even want to know what a pants pooper is? Is it something different in the context of Survivor or...?

Re: Devon - I find myself going crazy during every episode trying to figure out who he looks like. I think he must be some sort of amalgamation of several celebrities and maybe that's why none of us can really pinpoint exactly who it is he looks like.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, MissEwa said:

I googled the calories runners intake when carb-loading for marathons and the peak is like 3400 a day. I'm still convinced he's either talking kilojoules or wildly exaggerating. 

I think he is just an idiot and said whatever he thought sounded like a lot, to make a point. 

• Love 4
47 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I googled the calories runners intake when carb-loading for marathons and the peak is like 3400 a day. I'm still convinced he's either talking kilojoules or wildly exaggerating. 

I think Michael Phelps, when training for the Olympics, has said that he eats about 10,000 a day, so I doubt Cole eats that much to .... what? Rock Climb?

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, illdoc said:

I think Michael Phelps, when training for the Olympics, has said that he eats about 10,000 a day, so I doubt Cole eats that much to .... what? Rock Climb?

I’ve looked at Cole’s Instagram account and he’s quite the adventurous & outdoorsy type. I’m sure he eats a lot and works it off but I doubt 8,000, too. That said, it doesn’t look like he works either. LOL!!! Does anyone know what he does for a living? It looks like he rock climbs, works out & goes to the beach. It sounds like a fun life but can one make a living doing that? This is coming from someone in their 50’s who sits behind a desk drinking diet soda all day and hating it. LOL!!!!! 

• Love 2

Since there's a lot of Chrissy talk on this episode than on her thread, I'll add my 2c here. My smug opinion of her stemmed from the way she dealt with Roark, I think it was 2 episodes ago. I respect her for being a very smart woman and player and have even said that if the others didn't wise up and eliminate her before FTC, she'll win because she's a very good talker. She was very clever in taking the target of her back when she was responsible for losing the immunity challenge after the tribe swap, but she came off as very condescending towards Roark. We all know she's smart, but there's no reason to make someone else feel lesser than you just because they aren't buying what you're selling. She read Roark well in that she wasn't going to align with her when she proposed it and when I encounter someone IRL who talks to me like Chrissy did, I read them just like it looked like Roark did when she wanted to have nothing to do with aligning with her. The only other times her smugness shows in the game is her reactions at TC. Of course, her THs are full of it. Answering Jeffs math question didn't contribute to my opinion of her although like others have mentioned, it could have contributed to her being targeted on this vote. Her "Hero" assignation didn't bother me because I attribute that to production, but her reasoning did. IMO every mother working or not, is a hero, so her reasoning makes her no more heroic than any of the millions of moms in the world. Bottom line, I guess it comes down to me appreciating people who aren't arrogant and like to toot their own horn that she's the smartest one out there. I respect leaders who show humility and there's no denying she's a leader and has been instrumental and successful in leading her alliance on the last 3 votes. She's playing a great game but I don't like her. JMO :-)

Edited by dizzyd
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, green said:

Oh man, I wish!

3 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

Hmm...Ryan has now voted out Simone, Roark, Ali, and Jessica....maybe it's Ryan who doesn't like pretty young women.

Honestly I think he probably doesn't lol. 

3 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Re: Devon - I find myself going crazy during every episode trying to figure out who he looks like. I think he must be some sort of amalgamation of several celebrities and maybe that's why none of us can really pinpoint exactly who it is he looks like.

Ugh, this. When Devon is on screen I barely listen to anything he's saying because I'm just trying to figure out who he looks like. The people who have been mentioned I can see, but none of them are really who I'm thinking of.

1 hour ago, dizzyd said:

She was very clever in taking the target of her back when she was responsible for losing the immunity challenge after the tribe swap, but she came off as very condescending towards Roark. We all know she's smart, but there's no reason to make someone else feel lesser than you just because they aren't buying what you're selling. She read Roark well in that she wasn't going to align with her when she proposed it and when I encounter someone IRL who talks to me like Chrissy did, I read them just like it looked like Roark did when she wanted to have nothing to do with aligning with her. 

I think that Chrissy thought Roark was being condescending towards her and acting like she was smarter than Chrissy and that is what caused Chrissy's sorta OTT hate for her. And then the same thing happened with Roark, where she thought Chrissy was condescending towards her, and that's why she hated Chrissy. I think they're probably both pretty similar and it ended up being what made them not mesh at all.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 6

I always thought that I was good at figuring out who people look like... but Chrissy and Devon are killing me.

I agree that Devon must look like an amalgamation.  I can't figure it out yet.  It's like the ATTITUDE of a young Keanu Reeves mixed with the looks of someone different.  He's Keanu with blue eyes.  I don't know.  Josh Groban?  I'm trying to think of any goofy-looking guy with long hair.  I just don't think Josh is attractive but I really really do think Devon is.  Somebody mentioned James Franco which is smart because they both have those big chomping teeth smiles.

Chrissy looks like a young Hilary Clinton, or something.  Or a young Brett Butler? 

These are the times when I really miss the IMDb forums.  I'd go there and they'd cure me of this shit in 3 minutes.

Chrissy_MVP.jpg1HY5U5Q_324_lt.jpg

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, KimberStormer said:

I'm sure kikaha will show up soon to explain how she's playing too hard and visibly, since the other alliance could see it, and that is fair; but I think it's the only criticism one can make of Chrissy on a strictly game level.

Funny, and partly true. 

Pre-merge I thought Chrissy was playing real well.  Hard but UTR.  Making good alliances with both sides of her tribes.  Directing things quietly, without drawing attention to herself.  

This episode I think she blew that.  She showed the others how smart she is, totally unnecessarily, acting as a human calculator in front of the the entire tribe, not once but twice.  Without that, I doubt her name comes up.  Instead, I think she pinned the target on herself, similar to what Zeke did his seasons. 

Her so-called arrogance only bothers me if she shows it to others.  I don't recall seeing that, so to me it's a non-issue. 

• Love 6

I do agree Chrissy plays better (or prefers to) with the guys & vote the other woman out. I guess she can’t help her smirk smile which comes off as arrogant. I’m torn if she’ll make it to the Finals or not. I think she has a good thing going with Ryan and possibly Ben. She speaks well and I’m sure she could craft a good narrative to explain her game. If Katrina, Roarke, Ali and Jessica were on the jury I think Chrissy would have a rough time but they aren’t so she might be okay with a predominately male jury.....I think. I told you was I was torn. LOL!!!!

On 11/10/2017 at 0:54 AM, MissEwa said:

Carb-loading probably isn't a great comparison to the way someone who does the stuff Cole does eats. It's building up reserves, which can happen over time, vs. trying not to need them, which has to happen fairly close in time.

If he does a lot of hiking as the "wilderness guide" part of his job in Colorado, then he's burning a ton of calories. I'm trying to remember back to my Boy Scout days and the prep work we did for a backpacking trip in New Mexico. Being male, under 30, and muscular gives someone a pretty high base metabolism to begin with. Working at high elevation adds to that. So does cold weather, even if you have adequate thermal gear. Hiking up and down hills requires substantially more energy than flat terrain, even before you get to the rock climbing. You also have to factor in the energy to carry any gear you have with you. I think I ended up somewhere between 5000 and 6000 per day, so I wouldn't be surprised if he can hit 8000 in a day, but I wouldn't think that he would eat 8000 every day.

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 10:54 PM, MissEwa said:

Must be because Cole knows what a kilojoule is then.

• Love 1

I read that Michael Phelps ate 12,000 calories a day when he was training for the Olympics.  He was 6'4" and weighed around 165!  

So maybe if Cole spends many hours a day in pretty intense exercise, he does consume 8k daily. 

I definitely believe the Survivor starvation diet is much harder on most young folks, who typically have faster metabolisms and greater food requirements than those in their 50s, 40s or even 30s. 

• Love 1
On 11/9/2017 at 4:09 AM, spiderpig said:

Why are all of the Survivors looking like scarecrows except Lauren? Ryan looks like a coathanger.

Ryan looked like a coat hanger on day one.  

On 11/9/2017 at 0:26 AM, KimberStormer said:

I was really sad to see Jessica go (somehow I find some measure of charity and kindness even for virgins, I guess) but in the larger sense I didn't care who won this battle of nitwits, because there were people I like and people I dislike on both sides.

I forgave Jessica the earlier virgin comments but these were too much.  Acting like saying "thunder from down under" is widely acknowledged to be referring to a shlong?  Um, no.  Not to mention they said she was trying to be 'holy and moral' out there.  Are non-virgins unholy and amoral?  Or maybe just those who have had premarital sex?  

On 11/9/2017 at 5:47 AM, mojoween said:

Ok I'll be that person...lava cake is terrible and all those closeup shots of medium rare steak were super gross.  Oh and I also hate bone-in rib-eye.

Sorry Outback.  I would have been all over a Bloomin’ Onion though and I have no idea why they did not provide their most famous product.

Because deep fried foods travel like shit, unlike the rest of that food they drove in from the local Fiji Outback.

On 11/9/2017 at 7:21 AM, wings707 said:

Yes they do but why on earth would she mention that to production in the interview process?  This is not The Bachelor where than info may tip the scales in her favor, it is not necessary on this show.   I wouldn't tell them I slept with my husband on the day we met.  

I think casting relies on 'what is the most unique thing about you?'  

On 11/9/2017 at 8:43 AM, Oholibamah said:

I love how Desi is among the most infrequently featured in the episodes, yet routinely gets the most positive mentions here. If TPTB are listening, take this as a sign that we also like to watch nice, normal people amongst all the crazy!

There is a sort of reverse racism here where beautiful, eloquent (or silent) black women are beloved.  I find it really interesting.  I'm not sure if it's partly like the OJ effect (white people in LA's jet set originally loved him because he was gorgeous and acted white) or just peoples' relief at getting ethnic women cast who aren't the worst stereotypes of their race.   

On 11/9/2017 at 8:46 AM, Special K said:

YES, oh my god!  But then I think, what is he supposed to wipe them off on?  His grimy shirt or buff?  I guess he could run well water over them and let them air dry?  But his are the WORST glasses I've ever seen on this show.  Every time I see them I take my own glasses off and wipe them!  :)

His shirt is kind of amazing, too.  It was yellow but now is nearly solid brown on the torso.  

It must be gross out there.  Then again, we saw Lauren and Devon running around trails collecting timber barefoot, so it seems a bit resortlike in that aspect!  And no one is covered in bug bites.  So I think I'd take Fiji.  

Plus there are COCONUTS.  Which, by the way, have around 1400 calories each, so I don't know how anyone could be starving.  

On 11/9/2017 at 2:58 PM, Charlesman said:

I was hoping someone would be smart enough to ask for a well or well-done steak. Yeah, they're not as tasty, but, you get more calories out of them! Rarer steaks have fewer calories. With every calorie at a premium, it would have been worth going for a well-done steak.

Cooking can't remove or add calories to a finite piece of meat unless fat drips out.  But a margarita has WAAYYY more calories than a beer!

On 11/9/2017 at 6:14 PM, eel2178 said:

I got the feeling they were the, "Entitlement Tribe." They thought they would always be given an endless supply of food so there was no reason to ration what they had or go find their own food sources.

Is Outback in financial trouble? The stores near me have drastically cut back on hours. They have also been very heavy-handed with their local advertising.

The Outback by me expanded to include lunch hours in recent years.  It's really close by and we never go.  I don't love it.  I'll take their sister company, Carrabba's, any day.  

On 11/9/2017 at 6:24 PM, MissEwa said:

I honestly don't think Cole meant 8,000 calories. This suggests that even an active 20-something male should only be eating 3,000. 8,000 kilojoules, maybe? That's about average. Either way, it's weird that you'd go on Survivor and expect to eat the anywhere near same amount of food as you do at home. 

If he hikes and is active all day, it could be 8000.  But he probably is exaggerating, too.  He probably counted up one day that he thought he ate a ton and then decided to claim that was a typical day, because many men think being able to eat a ton is some sign of extreme masculinity. 

He looks like he might be dumb enough to forget to eat sometimes.  Maybe he eats 8000 on the days after those forgetful days.

On 11/9/2017 at 6:30 PM, blackwing said:

Ashley even mentioned that all the chickens were gone.  So they actually had chickens, which is something the other two tribes didn't have, and they STILL ran out of food.  Pathetic.

I don't think Ryan is a virgin.  Didn't he say he's been applying for years?  I think he'd know that offering that up as his 'hook' would get him cast faster.  A lot of people have sex outside of girlfriend/boyfriend situations, and a lot of guys don't think they know anything about girls (and probably don't) after having sex, often repeatedly.  

Speaking of hooks, has Lauren always had a fish hook pendant?

I was relieved Chrissy survived.  This season would be much more dull without her.  

Edited by Guest
22 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Cooking can't remove or add calories to a finite piece of meat unless fat drips out.  But a margarita has WAAYYY more calories than a beer!

I don't want to turn the whole thread into a calorie discussion, but, from my understanding, while the calories are the same in any identical pieces of meat, by cooking it more, the body can draw more calories out. Rarer meats aren't broken down as much, so the calories within can't all be absorbed. When you eat well-done meat, since it's already been broken down by cooking, the body can extract more of the available calories from it :)

34 minutes ago, Charlesman said:

I don't want to turn the whole thread into a calorie discussion, but, from my understanding, while the calories are the same in any identical pieces of meat, by cooking it more, the body can draw more calories out. Rarer meats aren't broken down as much, so the calories within can't all be absorbed. When you eat well-done meat, since it's already been broken down by cooking, the body can extract more of the available calories from it :)

As far as I know, the only difference is between whether food is cooked or raw. Once a food has been cooked a certain degree, it's easier for humans to digest. However past that point I don't think the benefits continue to accrue.

Also to be considered, from https://realdoctorstu.com/2012/04/30/rare-medium-or-well-done-the-science-of-a-perfect-steak/:

Swiss researchers Gerber, Scheeder and Wenk have largely resolved this rare vs. well-done health debate. Cooking 200g samples of a variety of meats, they measured the change in vitamin and mineral content in each. After cooking, all meats produced similar findings, but we’ll focus on the beef:

The longer steak is cooked, the fewer vitamins it contains

Cooking meat in water reduces its vitamin content further (the vitamins leech out into the water)

The levels of iron and zinc increase with cooking

Fat levels drop with cooking

Dr. Stu sums up with: If you want more vitamins, go rare. If you want more iron, go well-done. If you're on a diet, cook it to smithereens.

So if I were on Survivor and could eat an Outback steak? I'd be going rare for the fat and vitamins.

Edited by simplyme
  • Love 1

I think Outback is a great match for product placement.  They've got the product the people out there are dying for, plus their name plays right into the show's slogan:  Outplay, Outwit, Outlast, (Outback).  And the Outback decor is very rustic, like the Survivor sets.  

But then again I'm comparing to recent reality show pair-ups I've seen like Project Runway and Dixie Cups.  

Oh my God that sounds amazing.  I can just hear Tim Gunn talking about how for over 100 years Dixie Cups have been helping America throw kid's birthday parties, or whatever.  Nobody corporate shills like Tim Gunn, although many Survivors have tried.  I remember the Charmin (?) porta-potty in Exile Island, Parvati singing the praises of some Sprint phone or other in HvV, etc.

• Love 2

As far as product placement goes, I mostly subscribe to the 'if it keeps my show going, I'll take it' school of thought. And Outback Steakhouse >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gulliver's Travels, starring Jack Black. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:
On 9/11/2017 at 4:21 PM, wings707 said:

I think casting relies on 'what is the most unique thing about you?'

If that's the case Zeke being transgender should have been out on the first episode of the first season but he never talked about it.

• Love 1

I still think they knew and cast him for it but also let him pick whether or if to out himself.   Well, not that he ended up with the final say given how things went down.

Do you think production didn't know he was transgender?   

1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I still think they knew and cast him for it but also let him pick whether or if to out himself.   Well, not that he ended up with the final say given how things went down.

Do you think production didn't know he was transgender?   

Of course they did but they didn't have any way to get him to reveal it to us or to the other players which makes me think that Jessica had the option to not talk about her virginity so often or even at all.

I think she had the option but chose to do what production suggested.  Like how they all have the option to not tie in the silly theme words but most of them do it.  

I.had.no.clue.about Zeke in Millennials vs GenX. He only mentioned or led us to believe he was a gay man. It never came out and I don’t recall it coming out anywhere that he was transgender. Then he does Game Changers and it only came out because of Varner. I assume it came up in casting but it was up to him to say if he was transgender or not. If he didn’t talk about it in his confessionals it wasn’t being aired. Whereas Jessica seems to have brought it up her virginity and it was aired during her confessionals. That said, I’m not even sure how the confessionals work. Are they asked specific questions or do they just ramble on and on until they get something?

BTW! I saw a JP confessional. OMG! It was so bad because he talked so general. I can see why he isn’t getting an airtime. It’s a real talent to tell your story and also what is going on in the game itself. I never realized that until I saw JP’s confessional. It’s amazing he made it through casting since they are being interviewed  and have to TALK. I guess they thought he was a HOT fireman and said, “He’ll do!”. LOL!!!!!

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, ByaNose said:

That said, I’m not even sure how the confessionals work. Are they asked specific questions or do they just ramble on and on until they get something?

They are prompted on what to talk about, and heavily led in many cases, if you believe many industry insiders (which I tend to).  I doubt Survivor is the worst of the lot, though.  

On 11/11/2017 at 8:43 PM, simplyme said:

Also to be considered, from https://realdoctorstu.com/2012/04/30/rare-medium-or-well-done-the-science-of-a-perfect-steak/:

Dr. Stu sums up with: If you want more vitamins, go rare. If you want more iron, go well-done. If you're on a diet, cook it to smithereens.

So if I were on Survivor and could eat an Outback steak? I'd be going rare for the fat and vitamins.

Good point! That would be a smart Survivor strategy. As far as calorie content of how steak is prepared, I did see this

Even if the calorie counts themselves were accurate, dieters like Haelle and Nash would have to contend with the significant variations between the total calories in the food and the amount our bodies extract.

These variations, which scientists have only recently started to understand, go beyond the inaccuracies in the numbers on the back of food packaging. In fact, the new research calls into question the validity of nutrition science's core belief that a calorie is a calorie.

The difference, Baer suspects, is due to the nuts' particular structure: "All the nutrients – the fat and the protein and things like that – they're inside this plant cell wall."

Unless those walls are broken down – by processing, chewing or cooking – some of the calories remain off-limits to the body, and thus are excreted rather than absorbed.

Wrangham and his colleagues have since shown that cooking unlaces microscopic structures that bind energy in foods, reducing the work our gut would otherwise have to do. It effectively outsources digestion to ovens and frying pans.

...The same effect holds true for meat: there are many more usable calories in a burger than in steak tartare.

Different cooking methods matter, too. In 2015, Sri Lankan scientists discovered that they could more than halve the available calories in rice by adding coconut oil during cooking and then cooling the rice in the refrigerator.

Wrangham's findings have significant consequences for dieters.

If Nash likes his porterhouse steak bloody, for example, he will likely be consuming several hundred calories less than if he has it well-done.

Yet the FDA's methods for creating a nutrition label do not for the most part account for the differences between raw and cooked food, or pureed versus whole, let alone the structure of plant versus animal cells. A steak is a steak, as far as the FDA is concerned.

On 11/11/2017 at 10:43 PM, simplyme said:

While this would be wise for most people, I have migraines that tend to be triggered by steak "blood"*.  So if it were me, I'd ask for my steak to be cooked just this side of blackened. Less fat and vitamins for me, but also much less chance of incapacitation because of a screaming headache.

* Technically, it isn't blood.  It's myoglobin, which is related to hemoglobin, but not the same.  It combines with the water within the meat that is released by cooking to appear blood-like.  But whatever it is, it doesn't agree with me.  So I have my steaks well done.

• Love 1

I wondered if Outback asked them all to eat their steaks medium-rare because it's the best photo, or possibly even didn't have a grill out there to cook them more but just delivered them in a to-go heat bag.  

The older I get the less I like meat.  I wonder if it's due to my aging body needing less iron.  The steaks didn't even look good to me whereas in past decades I may have had to get a medium rare steak after that to get it out of my head.  Honestly, the salad looked best to me.  Though why they showed Cole(?) cutting his with a knife,  I don't know.  A dinner salad should be bite size bits, if you ask me.   

Cole strikes me as the type of dude who tracks what he eats on an app and knows exactly how many calories he is consuming and making sure he hits his micro nutrient targets. I have no doubt that he eats 8,000 calories a day. Just like I have no doubt that he spends a good amount of time in the gym and hiking and rock climbing. 8,000 calories is not hard to hit if you are drinking protein drinks and the like. (shrugs) He takes pretty good care of himself so I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he is talking about.

I really wish that we saw more of the first few days. I suspect that Chrissy felt left out by the younger woman and embraced by Ryan when she switched tribes. Ryan was working with JP so Chrissy developed that relationship. She might very well be more comfortable with men then women and who cares? I think she is playing a good game. I suspect that she had different interests then Jessica and other younger women she was playing with and that those relationships never developed.

I speak as a tom boy who met her husband playing softball and going out to the bar to watch Cubs games after softball games. OK, a virgin tom boy. (winks) I have female friends but I tend to have more interests in common with men (sports, strategic board games, war games, that type of thing).

I want Joe gone, mainly because he is obnoxious and in your face arrogant. But I tend to not like the loud players.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I wondered if Outback asked them all to eat their steaks medium-rare because it's the best photo, or possibly even didn't have a grill out there to cook them more but just delivered them in a to-go heat bag.  

They made a point of saying they'd cook it to order.  Joe ordered his two well-done.  I think most people just like rare steak.