Type keyword(s) to search

S35.E07: Get to Gettin'

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

On 11/8/2017 at 11:36 PM, blackwing said:

I noticed that all of the women went for the margaritas.  Except for Chrissy of course, who went for the beer.  I agree that she is the woman who hates other women and drinks beer with the boys to show all of the boys that she is just as tough and is one of them.

I noticed this too, and I knew immediately that someone was going to make a comment like this. Dammit.

I would have gone for the beer too. Apart from the fact that I love beer, most margs are way too sweet and cheap tequila makes me sick on the best of days.

I wasn't good enough at sports as a kid to be a tomboy, but I never fit into girl groups and I didn't have a sizable number of girlfriends until I started playing rugby.

I shall continue my work toward eradicating the binary. 

Edited by 303420
  • Love 9

Margaritas can be yummy but that depends on what they put in them and I doubt that the margaritas provided by Survivor are yummy. I am guessing they provided a local beer. I would have gone for the local beer because many times they are yummy. But I drank beer at my wedding instead of wine, and I was married at a vineyard. So, yeah.

I totally would have ordered my steak medium rare. I am not a huge fan of rare but medium rare is perfect. I would guess that they took everyone's order after they merged so that the steaks were ready when they got there or they cut out a ton of filler.

303420: I never saw Tomboys as just girls who are good at sports but girls who had interests outside the norm, more inline with the stereotypical boy. I know plenty of girls who were good at sports who were not Tomboys. Heck, I was the only freshman trying out for basketball who was not reapplying makeup during water breaks. I still don't understand the point of makeup while playing a sport but a decent number of the girls I played with wore makeup. And I still don't get the bows in the hair and all that crap. Just tie it back and be done with it. So tomboy does not equal athlete to me. It is more a state of mind then an activity.

• Love 3

Mike drank a margarita.  Does that mean he hates men and wanted to show the women he's as feminine as them to garner their trust?  

On 2017-11-11 at 10:41 PM, Winston9-DT3 said:

There is a sort of reverse racism here where beautiful, eloquent (or silent) black women are beloved.  I find it really interesting.  I'm not sure if it's partly like the OJ effect (white people in LA's jet set originally loved him because he was gorgeous and acted white) or just peoples' relief at getting ethnic women cast who aren't the worst stereotypes of their race.   

"Reverse racism" isn't really a thing, and certainly doesn't apply to the popularity of somebody who is black. Representation in media is important, and has nothing to do with not liking the white players. 

"Acting white" isn't really a thing, either. Desi acts how she acts and as a black woman, is "acting black" in doing so. White people don't have a monopoly on certain personality traits. 

I actually can't think of any black female players who weren't "eloquent". Linda and Joanna certainly put their foot in their mouths at times, and Rebecca probably wasn't giving the most interesting confessionals, but obviously everybody had to be telegenic enough to be cast for a show where they'd be speaking. There is often an insinuation that "eloquent = standard newscaster accent = not talking "black", but that way of thinking should be challenged. 

I also don't think anyone they've cast was a "worst stereotype of their race". They were all real people and individuals, from a wide range of backgrounds. Nobody should have to represent their entire race. 

Sadly, in some ways you're right: to many people Desi is probably more palatable than NaOnka or Stacy. But I don't think people love Desi just because she's black. I find it refreshing that the show has become (marginally) more diverse, but I like Desi because she slays challenges, approaches the game analytically, and has a hypnotic voice that makes her (few) confessionals nice to listen to. I imagine many feel the same. 

• Love 13

Ugh, I love your post, @Oholibamah. I wish I could speak as eloquently, succinctly, and smartly as you do.

If I was there for the Outback Steakhouse award I would have ordered my steak as well-done as they could possibly make it because I refuse to eat meat with visible blood and I would've hoped they had iced tea but would've settled for soda or water as I don't drink alcohol.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, 303420 said:

I would have gone for the beer too.

As would I.  Mostly because I would probably be somewhat tired of fruit flavors and would want the wheaty and hoppy tastes instead.

6 hours ago, Oholibamah said:

to many people Desi is probably more palatable than NaOnka

While true, this is probably not a fair comparison.  NaOnka was a pointless quitter.  That's not going to earn people lots of fans, regardless of color.  I don't think there are many Purple Kelly fans either, and that white girl quit at the same TC.  Desi has shown no signs of being a quitter, and has shown a lot of grit and determination at challenges, so she's earning fans like Wigglesworth back in the day.

And Stacy does have fans in the Survivor community.  They love her "taking no shit from Benji or Brandon" attitude, and some of her verbal tics and turns of phrase.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Oholibamah said:

"Reverse racism" isn't really a thing, and certainly doesn't apply to the popularity of somebody who is black. Representation in media is important, and has nothing to do with not liking the white players. 

"Acting white" isn't really a thing, either. Desi acts how she acts and as a black woman, is "acting black" in doing so. White people don't have a monopoly on certain personality traits. 

I actually can't think of any black female players who weren't "eloquent". Linda and Joanna certainly put their foot in their mouths at times, and Rebecca probably wasn't giving the most interesting confessionals, but obviously everybody had to be telegenic enough to be cast for a show where they'd be speaking. There is often an insinuation that "eloquent = standard newscaster accent = not talking "black", but that way of thinking should be challenged. 

I also don't think anyone they've cast was a "worst stereotype of their race". They were all real people and individuals, from a wide range of backgrounds. Nobody should have to represent their entire race. 

Sadly, in some ways you're right: to many people Desi is probably more palatable than NaOnka or Stacy. But I don't think people love Desi just because she's black. I find it refreshing that the show has become (marginally) more diverse, but I like Desi because she slays challenges, approaches the game analytically, and has a hypnotic voice that makes her (few) confessionals nice to listen to. I imagine many feel the same. 

Do you prefer the term reverse discrimination?   I'm not saying representation in media is bad or even liking any players for whatever reason is bad.  Just that this forum is predominantly white and people here are more likely to root hard for Cydney, Makayla, Cirie, Ali and Desi than the Michelles, Jessicas, Sophies, etc.  Again, which is fine.  This forum is more like a Women's Studies Symposium than a random living room so it's somewhat understandable.  Asian women are largely defended here, and older women, as are women in general.

"Acting white" was a bad choice.  They're not acting like anything, they're being themselves and also receiving lovely edits probably as well (not having anything to do with race, just positive editing).  Which is great.  But in the past there have been so many black players either cast or edited (or both) to appear angry, crazy, mystical and/or lazy, like so many bad tv tropes.  See GC, Naonka, Crystal, Dreamz, Shamar, Phillip.  Survivor probably caught flak for it, and rightly so.  

On 11/8/2017 at 9:33 PM, double-elvis said:

They didn't show JT at all...which I'm fine with because I don't like him. I didn't like Ashley at first but I'm warming to her now and would like to see if she, Desi and Devon could continue to work together. Especially if they say "deuces" to Joe.

I'm always amazed at the people who are like "In S12 Joey and Stacy made it to the merge and used an idol and got voted off in 5th and 6th."  Like what??  Half the time I have no idea who is playing now!  How in the heck do you guys remember these things!

Who the hell is JT and Ashley?!  You mean there's a JT and a JP this season?  And they're different people?!

• Love 1

Folks are using JT for JP, probably because JT has played a bunch and when you hear a name comprised of initials starting with J you go to T because JT has played often enough. Stephen keeps saying JT on Rob has a Podcast because he played with JT. It is kind of like muscle memory. If I see JT, I replace it with JP. No biggie.

Personally, I like smart, quiet players who are strategizing in the background and making things happen. I could careless what color they are or what their gender is. The problem for me is that we seldom see these players because the Producers think they are boring and do not spend the time showing how they are playing. So much better to show muscly dude fishing or climbing trees. Or the loud dude being a pain in the ass.

I do think the posters on this site are better read/educated/informed then the average person so we end up with more conversations about race/gender/stereotypes/archetypes and those type of issues. The discussion is encouraged because disagreement is polite and well reasoned. It might not change someone's mind but you know you can have the conversation without people being overly insulted. I like that about this site.

• Love 3

I'm curious to see how Cole handles not having Jessica around to cover for him. I would like for him to realize that he still has a chance to make it further. I'm not saying he's gonna make the Finals but he could last a little longer then people think. All he needs is an HII or win Individual Immunity. Of course, it will help if he keeps his mouth and hands on lock down. LOL!!!

1 minute ago, ByaNose said:

I'm curious to see how Cole handles not having Jessica around to cover for him. I would like for him to realize that he still has a chance to make it further. I'm not saying he's gonna make the Finals but he could last a little longer then people think. All he needs is an HII or win Individual Immunity. Of course, it will help if he keeps his mouth and hands on lock down. LOL!!!

Or he might snap and cannibalize a fellow castaway. I'm pretty sure that would be an automatic removal from the game. :P

• Love 4

Create an account for My Fitness Pal and enter what you eat for the day. Honestly enter what you eat for a day and you will find that it is not hard to get to 8,000 calories. I suspect most people on this site are eating 2,500 - 4,000 calories a day and are not aware of it. I know that I have to work to stay in the 2,000 - 2,200 range that is recommended for me each day. I measure out my morning cereal to stay in that range and use 1/2 cup Tupperware for my goldfish to stay in range (When I am actually following what I eat, which happens when I end up above my high weight target. Tracking my input helps me reset to healthier portion sizes and makes me more mindful of what I am eating). I end up in the 3,000 calorie a day range when I let things slide.

While I suspect that Cole is eating better then a Five Guys meal every day (that will clock in at almost 2,000 calories on its own), it probably doesn't take too much to get to 8,000 calories a day. The shakes and protein bars and Gatorade and the like can be pretty caloric.

Seriously, if more people where o track what they eat for a couple of weeks they would be shocked at how many calories that they are taking in. Tracking calories and nutrients is normal for someone who is actively working to maintain a certain type of body and I suspect Cole is one of those dudes.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Not sure, but I hear it tastes like chicken. 

I know someone who worked in the southeast Asia jungles.  His group had a cook, hunters, etc.  His comment was to the effect that you could tell when the only meat the hunter got that day was monkey, because the cook used all his spices to make it taste ok.  Other meats didn't need anywhere near as many spices.

I'm rewatching this episode and just came to the part where Jessica talks about the thunder down under in a talking head. Then she says, "Being a virgin, I try to stay pure and holy at all times." Then goes back to talking about Outback and the merge. It was obvious to me that the virgin sentence came from a different interview and was conveniently spliced in.

• Love 3