Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E10: Driving Miss Unconventional

Drogo
  • Start Topic

In this unconventional Lexus Challenge the designers use safety materials to create a look that wows the judges as Fashion Week is right around the corner. Carly Chaikin joins as guest judge.

I watched the First Look they broadcast after last week's episode. 

Spoiler

These producers are sadistic. The contestants are supposed to gather as many unconventional materials as they can in a limited amount of time, but the materials are all tangled up in this gnarled mess?

• Love 7
42 minutes ago, DasFlavorPup said:

I could listen to Kentaro butcher idioms and slang all day.  Adorns

He is too cute and talented.  Don’t know about the Pocahontas look though.

39 minutes ago, Straycat80 said:

Another unconventional materials challenge. Are they running out of ideas to torture the designers with? And so many product themed challenges. Not sure I like this. 

They already had a similar challenge years ago.  I remember one contestant making a coat out of seat belts.  They must be running out of ideas.

• Love 7

Judges. On. Crack.

ok that was for the first three, but now they are praising my favorite ( Ayana?) so I will calm down.

just sick of the Brandon praise and Kenya’s is Boring

Edited by lgprimes
  • Love 9

Judges, I was in near total agreement with you, until you got to Margarita's.  What the actual HELL.

I liked Brandon's, but it was a distant third to Ayana's stunner (clear winner there, no doubt) and Kenya's elegant outfit, mild hip dysplasia effect notwithstanding.  Brandon had his damn straps yet again, but I loved the color and construction, although I hated the midriff-baring and how far the hem was from the model's body.

Michael and Margarita's were tacky crap and both of them badly need to stop blowing gold dust up their own culos, but boy howdy Kentaro is the clear loser this week, to  me.

• Love 15
41 minutes ago, mwell345 said:

Have a feeling we’re going to see the Tim Gunn Save pop up this episode. 

Ugh hope it is not for Margarita. Kenya may have run her course though...she seems lost most weeks.

i hated Margarita's and her sour faces were as bad as the twins. Prune face at Zac, evil eye when Brandon was praised. She is one nasty bitch.

Poor Kentaro. Hope Tim saves him, if it is him, but let Michael go home, won't be mad.

Bad runway for me. Did not like anything much.

Edited by Bebecat
  • Love 11

I'm not going to criticize any of these designs considering it was another trash material challenge and they only gave them one day. At this point I feel they should be designing regular clothes because Zac says he still doesn't know who Margarita is as a designer and the judges are worried Liris is uncomfortable. What did they expect when they are using junk materials again for 'fashion'? 

I thought Tim was going to save Michael....but nope. 

• Love 11

Wow, the judges are drinking the Brandon koolaid.  Thank goodness Ayana won, she so deserved it.

There were so many mentions of the Tim Gunn save, I can’t believe it didn’t happen.

Edited by TexasGal
  • Love 13

Damn Zack...do you really think it's good to be seen on tape grabbing a model's boob with all the Harvey Weinstein mess going on right now?  Just because she was in a tacky bondage dress doesn't mean she's up for grabs (pun intended).

Also, did the guest judge not own a hairbrush?

Edited by cdp73
  • Love 24
3 minutes ago, Whodunnit said:

Dear Project Runway,

Y'know, when an episode ends with a kid named Michael getting booted off, and then does an "in memory of" placard of someone [named]  Michael it might be a good idea to include a picture.

Thanks 

Yes!  That was so very jarring.  I had to stop and think for a second what Michael's last name was, although I thought it began with a B.  But that message coming right after the boot was confusing.

• Love 16
25 minutes ago, DasFlavorPup said:

Oh wow, nice fake with them NOT using the Tim Gunn save after being oh-so-subtle about it right before the runway.  I don't really agree with Michael being sent home, but I can't say I'm all that bothered by it.

23 minutes ago, TexasGal said:

Wow, the judges are drinking the Brandon koolaid.  Thank goodness Ayana won, she so deserved it.

There were so many mentions of the Tim Gunn save, I can’t believe it didn’t happen.

I remember one season, Tim didn't show up to use The Save until the beginning of the next episode.  Not saying that I hope that happens here, because I'd rather he shelve it for Kentaro.

Edited by hoodooznoodooz
  • Love 11

I know many people dislike him, but I really love almost everything Brandon has done. 

To me, his stuff looks like something The Mummy would wear with bits of bandages hanging down ... on every single solitary outfit. I wouldn't wear or buy a thing he's ever made.

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, Rancide said:

know many people dislike him, but I really love almost everything Brandon has done.  Yeah, some of his silhouettes can be a bit repetitive.  But I didn't think this one actually was.  I love his use of color.  I like that even if a lot of his stuff looks similar to his other stuff, it does NOT look similar to everything else I've been seeing on this show for years.  

I agree with all of this. I didn't care much for his look tonight though. The orange on the yellow made me think of candy corn, and then it got all Halloweeny on me. But I still like him and his designs and hope for him to be on the top at the end!

I loved Margarita saying it all comes down to "taste level" and then the editors cutting to her garment with the knee pad boobs! I thought her outfit was totally dumb and ugly. And I thought Kenya's was bad too.

I'm okay with Michael leaving, I guess. I liked him but this was bad and I'd rather have him go than Kentaro (I felt sure Tim would have used the save though if it was Kentaro).

• Love 11
23 minutes ago, Whodunnit said:

Dear Project Runway,

Y'know, when an episode ends with a kid named Michael getting booted off, and then does an "in memory of" placard of someone [named]  Michael it might be a good idea to include a picture.

Thanks 

I agree it is confusing, but Michael from this season and Mychael Knight who died don't spell their first name the same way.

• Love 6

Ayana killed it this challenge. I did think the construction hat was a bit too on the nose, but it wasn't horrible. Loved the top, loved the skirt. I've been mostly on the fence with her designs, but it appears she's more avant garde than maybe she even realizes (and certainly more than I thought, given her earlier work). 

I thought Kenya was gong to be eviscerated for the broken zipper (because it's the ~top six~) but the over-the-top hips really saved her. They're more *fashion* than mistake. And painting the seatbelts was such a good idea because it made the black really pop. The only thing about Kenya is that I don't really have a good idea of what she's like as a designer. I think she's a bomb...dressmaker. She needs to snatched up by a fashion house. 

Kentaro lost it this week. Still my favorite, though.

...So, the judges are just not going to talk about the fact that Brandon's top has been done before? Multiple times? Everyone gets that treatment except for him? Mmkay. 

• Love 9

Was Knight the one who did sportswear?

I didn't like Ayana's top. I thought it was a well made black "leather" jacket at first, but then she started to add glittery glass shard looking things everywhere and lost the details and impact of a clean look.

• Love 4
59 minutes ago, Thumper said:

What is the reason for this guest judge?  Did I miss something at the beginning?

Plus I dislike her voice.

Ugh.  She was beloved on Suburgatory, but I couldn't stand her dead eyes and horrific voice.  I didn't know until tonight that that's her real voice.  *Shiver*

• Love 12