Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E10: Driving Miss Unconventional

Drogo
  • Start Topic

On 10/22/2017 at 10:59 AM, latetotheparty said:

Is it just me or do all those clothes look like pajamas?

Yes, but a man would only wear these pajamas if he wanted to be left alone, if you know what I mean. 

On 10/23/2017 at 0:46 PM, carrps said:

Welp, I just got this in an email from pinterest. Guess Brandon's tuned into the zeitgeist.

dress.jpg.e9d43c12051c6fa0b5cf87b4304bf1f4.jpg

Looks like she escaped from the insane asylum still wearing the straight jacket.  

• Love 1
On 10/22/2017 at 5:16 PM, sleepyjean said:

If, as you say, people who who sew or are involved in the fashion industry are used to seeing designers put their hands all over a model, it may seem silly from their perspective, and from yours. However, the audience for this show is primarily non-sewers, and for them, it is unexpected, and perhaps distasteful to see a male designer put his hand on a model's breast, as if it's no big deal, as if he has every right to touch her any way he wants without so much as a by-your-leave. The core audience for this show isn't a bunch of blasé fashion people.

I don't recall seeing any other designers on this show do what Zac does. But perhaps that's because the judges didn't get to see the garments up close until he came along.

I'm not a sewer and it never occurred to me that the "touching" Zac was doing was in an effort to do anything but look at the clothes.  There is a big difference between grabbing someone for sexual gratification or to lord power over them and Zac's touching which seems to clearly be so he can see construction.  Anyone who has watched this show, even one episode, should have been able to pick out that Zac is always mentioning construction and how the clothes are made.  If we're going to assume people who aren't sewers are believed to be naive enough to look at that and think he's getting a charge from it because they aren't "fashion people" then maybe we can also assume that Zac has asked prior to touching them or made some passing comment about how he's touching the clothes and not their bodies.

I think people tagging him for inappropriate touching are reaching with this one.  He's not reaching forward and then closing his fist around someone's boobs or ass.  He's reaching forward to touch the garment so he can see the construction of it.  That's it.  That's all.

And Michael should have gone home.  My God.  Although Liris' comment wasn't any worse than Michael's model when she stepped forward and made the joke about how she was a prostitute.  I think they've crossed a line with these models this season in allowing them to give their opinions about what they're wearing.  I really don't care what Liris thought of her outfit or if it was uncomfortable.

• Love 14

Yes.  I don't mind if a larger model gives some basic advice, such as whether a nipped-in waist flatters their shape, or a good place to put darts, especially if the designer has never worked with anyone but a stick before.  But beyond that, it's none of the model's business to like or dislike the design.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, hoodooznoodooz said:

This reminds me of that windy scene in Brazil, when stray pages of newspaper keep blowing against and enveloping DeNiro (?).

Or a windy scene at a car wash where stray shammy cloths enveloped the model. 

• Love 3

What struck me about Liris' remarks was that Heidi specifically called upon her, asking vaguely "What do you think?" or something to that effect.  

I think Liris will have a role on Project Runway in the future, working with the models, or will have a reality show on Lifetime where she advises aspiring models.  She has a business where she puts on boot camps for models https://www.plus-model-mag.com/2016/03/calling-aspiring-models-liris-crosses-life-working-model/

We all have noticed an inordinate amount of attention placed on her. If they don't want to focus on the designers' process more (more time seeing the actual act of constructing their garments, which is what I loved about the early seasons on Bravo) I suspect they will continue to give the models more screen time.

4 hours ago, CaughtOnTape said:

I'm not a sewer and it never occurred to me that the "touching" Zac was doing was in an effort to do anything but look at the clothes.  There is a big difference between grabbing someone for sexual gratification or to lord power over them and Zac's touching which seems to clearly be so he can see construction.  Anyone who has watched this show, even one episode, should have been able to pick out that Zac is always mentioning construction and how the clothes are made.  If we're going to assume people who aren't sewers are believed to be naive enough to look at that and think he's getting a charge from it because they aren't "fashion people" then maybe we can also assume that Zac has asked prior to touching them or made some passing comment about how he's touching the clothes and not their bodies.

I think people tagging him for inappropriate touching are reaching with this one.  He's not reaching forward and then closing his fist around someone's boobs or ass.  He's reaching forward to touch the garment so he can see the construction of it.  That's it.  That's all.

Yes! Your comment reminds me of the alien scene from Spice World where Mel B swats away an unwanted alien grope. Totally different. OY!

I am often a fashion consultant for my friends, and they understand a "checking the fit" touch. Despite being gay, I make sure to consult them before any touching, and I trust Zac's relationship with the models are the same. 

Edited by Oholibamah
  • Love 1

Here's the thing: some people think Zac's handsy-ness is inappropriate. Others don't. Neither group is "right," because we are all entitled to our own opinion.

Generally speaking, I have never found that telling other adults that their opinion is silly or naive to be an effective method of changing minds. *shrugs*

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, sleepyjean said:

Here's the thing: some people think Zac's handsy-ness is inappropriate. Others don't. Neither group is "right," because we are all entitled to our own opinion.

Generally speaking, I have never found that telling other adults that their opinion is silly or naive to be an effective method of changing minds. *shrugs*

It's funny, I was actually trying to think of a way to say something like this but in regards to Brandon's clothes. Some people have said they like them, some people obviously don't, but no matter what nasty or humorous? things you say about them, aren't going to change anyone's mind.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, sleepyjean said:

Actually, I'm not down for this.

We're not talking about your opinion about someone's clothes here.  This is your opinion about whether or not someone is inappropriately grabbing someone.  There is a "Yes, that's happening" and a "No, you are wrong" element to this.  Because you are leveling an opinion upon someone's character.  You are accusing them of something pretty heinous.  You are expressing that opinion to other people which in turn may form their opinion or cause an even bigger reaction.  

The "you are entitled to your opinion" stuff has got to stop these days.  Especially when it's a hot button issue like this.  Some people need to be told they might be taking things too far.  Not to mention an opinion is being formed without all the information.  

• Love 15
On 10/25/2017 at 7:34 PM, lilwhitelion said:

What struck me about Liris' remarks was that Heidi specifically called upon her, asking vaguely "What do you think?" or something to that effect.  

I think Liris will have a role on Project Runway in the future, working with the models, or will have a reality show on Lifetime where she advises aspiring models.  She has a business where she puts on boot camps for models https://www.plus-model-mag.com/2016/03/calling-aspiring-models-liris-crosses-life-working-model/

We all have noticed an inordinate amount of attention placed on her.

I just learned from a post in the PR in the Media thread that Liris and Kanye West used to be an item some years ago, just before he was beginning to be famous.  So I don't doubt at all that she is hoping to do at least as well as Amber Rose has done in terms of a media career - I'm sure she'd like to have a reality show.

20 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I just learned from a post in the PR in the Media thread that Liris and Kanye West used to be an item some years ago, just before he was beginning to be famous.  So I don't doubt at all that she is hoping to do at least as well as Amber Rose has done in terms of a media career - I'm sure she'd like to have a reality show.

Yes, I posted a clip over in that thread of a 2003 interview with Liris and Kanye, pre-fame.  Watch Katie Sturino's Behind the Seams where she talks to Liris.  Liris explains how she was given the moniker 'Plus-size Naomi Campbell'.   I'm sure she has felt like she has been on the cusp of being considered a 'Very Big Deal' for a number of years now.

• Love 1

I'm just catching up on this show.  I couldn't stand that guest judge and her horrible vocal fry.  

Why the fuck where the judges loving Margarita's horrible outfit?  Brandon, blech.  He bores me.  Kenya's outfit looked weird to me with the exaggerated silhouette.