Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Dammit, Jeff, why did you bet so much in FJ?  Kelly and Andrew acted bored out of their minds.  Andrew is a douche.  Can't wait for him to get off my screen.  The only good thing about him is he got a "good for you" so I could drink.  ?

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

BMS Trudeau--weren't there 2 Canadian PM's with that last name?  

33 minutes ago, GreekGeek said:

Not to be confused with Prime Minister Kit Trudeau.

That needed a BMS!  WTF judges!

I got Margaret Mead and Benazir Bhutto.

I guessed India for FJ even though I knew it was wrong.  At least it's in Asia as opposed to UAE.

• Love 13
7 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I guessed India for FJ even though I knew it was wrong.  At least it's in Asia as opposed to UAE.

I guessed Pakistan. I knew India was Bollywood, so I just took a stab in the dark.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, saber5055 said:

In all the times I've been to Philly, I've never had a cheesesteak. And never even thought of one while there. I hate myself.

Shocking!!

How in the hell did those two low energy, grumpy ass, nitwits get on this show?  Cripes!  Thanks for breaking my heart at the end there, Jeff.  Even though your tie was all kinds of wonky, you were the lesser of three evils.  <shakes fist>  Damn you!

I only got Bhutto tonight.

This game sucked hard.

• Love 5
(edited)

Late posting about Monday's game (was in Windsor Ontario last night waiting for Detroit/Windsor fireworks). Count me in the proud W&Mers who got Rochambeau thanks to time in Williamsburg.

For tonight I just started laughing when Kit Carson was in the clue anticipating the comments here.  Continuing laughter with the FJ wagering but kudos to everyone who called Kelly as a one and done.

Edited by Grundoon59
Sentence structure made no sense. Should have triple checked before posting.
  • Love 6
6 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Late posting about Monday's game (was in Windsor Ontario last night waiting for Detroit/Windsor fireworks). Count me in the proud W&Mers who made got Rochambeau thanks to time in Williamsburg.

For tonight I just started laughing when Kit Carson was in the clue anticipating the comments here.  Continuing laughter with the FJ wagering but kudos to everyone who called Kelly as a one and done.

yeah i'm laughing at Kelly's wager but she look far from a one and done today and actally look like someone who could have stuck around for another game or 2 if only she knew how to wager.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, dcalley said:

? The Rochambeau Motel! (W&M alumna here.)

4 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

Count me in the proud W&Mers who made got Rochambeau thanks to time in Williamsburg.

Go Tribe!  :)

Meanwhile, can we have Kelly back instead of Andrew?  Though I was really rooting for Jeff!  I completely blanked for FJ -- what is the capital of Bangladesh?  Did Alex say and I missed it because of Andrew's antics?

Terrible game, mostly because Andrew won in the end, but I did manage tapenade, Benazir Bhutto, and things that growl.

I dread tomorrow's game, but hope Andrew's a one-and-done.

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Go Tribe!  :)

I completely blanked for FJ -- what is the capital of Bangladesh?  Did Alex say and I missed it because of Andrew's antics?

Dhaka is the capital.  I thought Alex missed saying it too.

Are we going to add a drink for orchestra mentions? 

• Love 3

The only one I got was tapenade. Bhutto was on the tip of my tongue, but I only got as far as BH. I didn't get FJ either. I took a while guess at Pakistan.

I don't mind Andrew, though at times he seemed very knowledgeable and then seemed completely... not.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

It also helps to live in Williamsburg, VA.  You learn a lot of interesting tidbits about that period of American History here.

Also in Connecticut -- I drive on parts of the Rochambeau Trail on a regular basis.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Planets all have Roman god names except Uranus is the Greek god of the sky.  

Otherwise, 

Mercury = Hermes (messenger)
Venus = Aphrodite (love)
Mars = Ares (War)
Jupiter = Zeus (King)
Saturn = Cronus (Agriculture / Harvest)
Pluto = Hades (god of the dead)

And Neptune = Poseidon (sea)

3 hours ago, opus said:

Thanks. I thought she over bet, but I was too lazy to do the math.

So was she.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, dcalley said:

And Neptune = Poseidon (sea)

It was a long day. Thanks for catching that. :) 

I knew Dhaka was the capital of Bangladesh, so I got it. 

1 hour ago, Brookside said:

I thought Alex missed saying it too.

He said that the capital began with Dh but only mentioned the country. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, SuperCam1 said:

yeah i'm laughing at Kelly's wager but she look far from a one and done today and actally look like someone who could have stuck around for another game or 2 if only she knew how to wager.

yes but that's part of knowing how to be a champ is knowing how to wager.  Oddly I was so glad that she rid me of the other weirdo that I didn't realize how annoying she was until after the Jeopardy  round today, and I was so glad when she made that terrible wager but with the new champ I think it's going to be a case of be careful what you wish for!

• Love 5

Sheesh these contestants lately sure want to shore up @DrSpaceman‘s argument on betting. Hopefully we all agree the champ’s final jeopardy wager was stupid! Lazy and no logic. 

I liked Jeff’s panda tie and his non-douchey body language, so add me to those sad he didn’t win. 

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

I have lived entirely in Texas for 70+ years and I never heard that "state song" before.  I hope it turns out to be some obscure verse of a famous song...

The clue was "your freeborn single star, Sends out its radiance to nations near and far".  It's part of the second verse of our state song...I only got it from the "single star" reference.

Edited by whinewithwine
  • Love 4
50 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I'm also too lazy to do the math or to rewatch and see what all the numbers were. Can someone enlighten me please?

Here are the before and after FJ scores, borrowed from JBoard.

Kelly Griffin: 18000-17000=1000
Jeff Witte: 13400-13398=2
Andrew King: 13999-12801=1198 (New Champ)

Andrew is cute; that's all I took away from this game.

• Love 2

So will Alex begin tonight's show by bemoaning the fact that nobody knew Tuesday's Final Jeopardy or will he belittle Andrew for the small sum of money he won the game with? Either one should allow everyone to drink!

And now the Nevada state song makes the playlist of the Kit Carson etc. Orchestra. I can hardly wait to see the interpretation by the Alber Camu Dancers.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

And now the Nevada state song makes the playlist of the Kit Carson etc. Orchestra. I can hardly wait to see the interpretation by the Alber Camu Dancers.

That's Alber Camoo Dancers, please. Meanwhile, does everyone know their state's song? I didn't even know there are state songs much less what I should be singing while living in the POS state that is Illinois.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Pallida said:

Sheesh these contestants lately sure want to shore up @DrSpaceman‘s argument on betting. Hopefully we all agree the champ’s final jeopardy wager was stupid! Lazy and no logic. 

I liked Jeff’s panda tie and his non-douchey body language, so add me to those sad he didn’t win. 

Yeah that was really bad. 

Another game where the second place contestant gets more than the winner. 

That new champion......something bugged me about him, beyond the "I......WILL.....take......( full category).......for.....two....hundred......dollars.....please......alex.......thank you".  Shorten it up dude, running out of time. 

Oh and he gave a few REALLY bad answers. 

• Love 5

Forgive me for the misspelling, @saber5055. I should know better.

I know various state songs from sporting events, such as the Triple Crown Horse Races and the Indianapolis 500, where they are sung as part of the festivities. And as a proud Ohioan, I know not only the Ohio State Song (Beautiful Ohio) but also the Ohio State Rock Song (Hang On, Sloopy). And here are the rest of the states.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

That's Alber Camoo Dancers, please. Meanwhile, does everyone know their state's song? I didn't even know there are state songs much less what I should be singing while living in the POS state that is Illinois.

I learned the Illinois state song in 1968 for the sesquicentennial.  We sang it in assembly.  "By thy rivers gently flowing, Illinois Illinois."  Fifty years later I can still sing the first verse.  I was hoping that was one of the songs/states in the category.  I don't live in Chicago, but am always amazed when contestants know that Chicago is in Cook County (the most crooked county in the world).

• Love 2
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

... Meanwhile, does everyone know their state's song? I didn't even know there are state songs much less what I should be singing while living in the POS state that is Illinois.

Yes, I know Kansas is Home on the Range. Virginia (where I live now) has a popular song, Sweet Virginia Breeze.   

• Love 3
14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I don't mind Andrew, though at times he seemed very knowledgeable and then seemed completely... not.

Like answering "orzo" in a category that required two u's in the answer. 

I wasn't much better -- I said "bulgur" but I don't think bulgur is a variety of wheat.  The correct response was durum.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I don't live in Chicago, but am always amazed when contestants know that Chicago is in Cook County (the most crooked county in the world).

I know that because of The Blues Brothers.

10 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Virginia (where I live now) has a popular song, Sweet Virginia Breeze. 

I lost track a while back when they were trying to decide what to replace "Carry Me Back to Old Virginny" with -- I honestly didn't know we had a state song.  Thanks for the update!  Maybe I should listen to it sometime.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, AuntiePam said:

Like answering "orzo" in a category that required two u's in the answer. 

I wasn't much better -- I said "bulgur" but I don't think bulgur is a variety of wheat.  The correct response was durum.

Actually bulgur is made from whole wheat, so you were on the right track.  You might've been able to argue it was correct.

• Love 3

Bulgur is made from whole wheat, but weren't they asking what kind of wheat was used to make pasta?  Which makes Andrew's answer especially bad -- orzo is a pasta shape, not a type of wheat.

• Love 3

I don't live in Chicago, but am always amazed when contestants know that Chicago is in Cook County

If they know their Broadway musicals, the Cook County Jail is where the women are housed in Chicago. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I had to look up our official state song, "Where The Columbines Grow", but I knew our secondary state song, John Denver's "Rocky Mountain High" .

52 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I don't live in Chicago, but am always amazed when contestants know that Chicago is in Cook County (the most crooked county in the world).

I know it from ER being set in Cook County General Hospital.

• Love 7
(edited)
57 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

ER was  extremely popular.

oops posting at the same time as Carpediem54.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
(edited)

Regarding the state songs: New York’s is I Love New York. I had to look it up to see if it has any lyrics besides the title repeated over and over. It does, but they’re not great, just sort of saying New York is the best without evoking any of the state’s history or culture or natural beauty. I guess it’s hard to find a song that isn’t about New York City, since there’s much more to the state.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

If they know their Broadway musicals, the Cook County Jail is where the women are housed in Chicago. 

Yeah, maybe contestants have made it up to learning things from 1975 Broadway shows.  By 2058 they may finally be familiar with Hamilton references.

• Love 3
(edited)

Sorry I jinxed Ali the other day. I liked him & was sorry to see him go. I liked Jordan also (even though I was rooting for Amanda), and I figured Kelly wouldn't stick around so I didn't really form an opinion about her, but she could have stayed around if not for her stupid FJ wager. Despite having the same name as my son, and looking like a younger, non-gray version of Dr. Toothbrush, I cannot root for Andrew. Smarmy to the extreme, although I liked his DD wager of $6,999 to be able to play FJ if he missed it. Unfortunately he got it right & we are stuck with him for another day. If he wins Wednesday I will put the Toothbrush curse on him, but that probably only works on contestants I like. 

I had barely gotten over my glee at the Muppets category, when there was a Kit Carson shout out! 

TS I got were tapenade, Bhutto, economical, things that growl. No idea for FJ at the Toothbrush house. 

On 6/25/2018 at 7:47 PM, DrScottie said:

I didn't realize Robert Osborne had died. That's too bad. 

I didn't realize Greg Allman had died. 

On 6/25/2018 at 9:44 PM, Clanstarling said:

He has the highlights today - as the only other thing I have to say is that though he rarely comments on the contestants looks, he looked at the new guy and said "He's Waldo from 'Where's Waldo.'" And then I couldn't unsee it.

He is Waldo...lol!! 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 5

My notifications are wonky. I’ll hit “like” and it will tell me my Like has been removed. Basically I can’t tell anything as nothing is showing. I went to the Bugs thread and tried to reset my notifications but alas, it doesn’t want to work. So I’m flying blind. Just know that I like all of you and assume that I’m hitting my like button for your funny, smart and witty answers. 

• Love 9

And now the Nevada state song 

Which, because I lived in Nevada from 1st through 5th grades, I can sing. At least the first verse

Home means Nevada, home means the hills...home means the sage and the pines :)

I've lived in Michigan for 40 years and have NO idea what the state song is!

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

Regarding the state songs: New York’s is I Love New York. I had to look it up to see if it has any lyrics besides the title repeated over and over. It does, but they’re not great, just sort of saying New York is the best without evoking any of the state’s history or culture or natural beauty. I guess it’s hard to find a song that isn’t about New York City, since there’s much more to the state.

And worse yet, it was written for an advertising campaign, which to my mind makes it not a real song. It's a jingle at best. It's kind of embarrasing, especially considering New York's rich musical tradition. I do admit that the more famous New York songs are more about New York City, although I would still prefer one of them, even being from upstate NY.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, Trey said:

Andrew King: 13999-12801=1198 (New Champ)

Thanks for the numbers, but what should she have bet?

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1
(edited)

Is it too soon to post about next Tuesday's (July 3) show?

Spoiler

If not....GO JIM!  And avenge our baby bro Tom (from April 27 show) while you're at it!

BTW, Jim's bow tie is a REAL Carnegie Mellon/Carnegie Tech Tartan tie.  I need to ask him if it's a new one, or one he inherited from Dad (Tech '49)

JeopJim.jpg

Edited by Athena
added spoiler tag
  • Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, Trey said:

The pic was in your post but now it's gone.

Yeah, I figured that.  Thanks!  Oh well, check for Hometown Howdies after Friday I guess.  I'm not sure what the policy about images is on this bored (spelling intentional!)  

Spoiler

BTW, Jim posts on this forum, but I'll let him identify his own screen name (or not!)

Edited by Athena
added spoiler tag
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

Thanks for the numbers, but what should she have bet?

$9,999 to cover Andrew.

Adding the scores so you don't have to scroll back:

Andrew King: 13999-12801=1198

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 5

Hooray Scott!  Andrew just looked so glum again towards the end of this game, I'm glad he lost.  I felt kind of bad for Amy with her buzzer difficulties, but at the same time, her vocal fry habit was a bit annoying.

I randomly and wildly guessed The Masters for FJ, and was astonished to see it was correct.  I know almost nothing of golf.  I also got quilting and bread and butter pickles.

• Love 3
(edited)

This was another good game, despite Amy's voice and odd buzzer position. Congratulations to Scott, who got a few answers in the Rock and Roll category that surprised me, particularly Motorhead. Nice job!

Andrew is serious when he plays, but I liked his personality in the interview. His story made me chuckle.

This may be the first sports FJ I've ever missed. Of course it would be golf, which I can't stand. I guessed the US Open and then wondered why Jeopardy would ask a question with an answer that could apply to more than one sport. The Masters didn't even cross my mind.

My gets were quilting (DD), Radiohead, and bread & butter. 

Edited by teebax
  • Love 5