Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Hey, I don't blame you Scott, I blame Trebek, King Of Corrections Even When He's Wrong. Can't believe he missed a chance to showboat. But I guess it's something knowing you will live forever via social media and the Internet. You can laugh about it on the way to your bank.

I did like Free Press No. 15 Correct Pronunciation though, a reinforcement of a discussion we had here. Mindthinkr: I'll buy pop for everyone at today's rehearsal!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Maybe because our champ is from Muncie, IN and there's a song in The Music Man about Gary, IN? Other than that, I got nothing....

Because everyone in Indiana knows each other.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Maybe because our champ is from Muncie, IN and there's a song in The Music Man about Gary, IN? Other than that, I got nothing....

Honestly, when Alex asked about The Music Man, the tune came into my head: "MUNCIE, Indiana, Muncie INDIANA, Muncie... Oh wait, that's Gary."

• Love 4
38 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Some of those in that "pronunciation guide" would really trip me up! Milan, Orion, and Bois Blanc in particular!

There is a Milan and Orion near me, and I can always tell when some newscaster/reporter isn't "from here" as they use the European pronunciation, not the correct Midwestern Yankee screwed up one. Americans stole names of European cities and then bastardized them so they wouldn't sound like the original.

The same thing happened to me when I asked a Missouri friend about the town of Bolivar. I said Bo-LEE-var and was instantly corrected to BAH-la-ver.

Now I need to go drink a nice cool bottle of Midwestern POP!

• Love 2
(edited)
52 minutes ago, secnarf said:

and Bois Blanc in particular!

I think I knew way in the back of my mind that Boblo had a 'real' name but it's had a good, long history around here (Detroit-Windsor) with the Boblo Amusement Park that ran for nearly 100 years, the ferries that picked up people on both sides of the Detroit River; it was part of the Underground Railway back in the 1800's and was part of another Underground Railway during the Vietnam War.

Re last night's game, I was going to mention the Mackinaw mispronunciation but it's been covered:)

I said high blood pressure instead of hypertension - would that have been accepted? I got the Russia ts maybe more but I forget.  Said Julius Caesar for FJ; I took R & J in high school but do not remember that sonnet - it's been a long time, after all.

The Giving Tree makes me cry.

Congratulations, Scott, on your second win.  Hope you have many more and make it to the ToC.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, secnarf said:

Some of those in that "pronunciation guide" would really trip me up! Milan, Orion, and Bois Blanc in particular!

Versailles, Indiana is another one. Ver-sails instead of Ver-sigh. (my own pronunciation guide).

• Love 2

Wow, Alex, way to hijack Scott's interview and make it all about you! Gah!!

And when he introduced the categories:

"Birth of a Salesman....ooh!" Yesterday after introducing the Daytime TV category he had to add "uh oh!"

• Love 15
(edited)

Way to go, Asshole Alex...Nice job of highjacking the champ's story of traveling to Berlin and making it, once again, a story about YOU!

ETA:  Too funny, Spunkygal, we posted almost verbatim at the same moment!

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 16

Phew!

I'm so glad Scott heard me screaming Merrimack for that DD.  ;-)

My gets tonight were slides and neck. 

The best I could do for FJ was, maybe a composer.  

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, Tunia said:

Way to go, Asshole Alex...Nice job of highjacking the champ's story of traveling to Berlin and making it, once again, a story about YOU!

ETA:  Too funny, Spunkygal, we posted almost verbatim at the same moment!

Yeah, but I prefer your post with the description of AT as asshole! The old goat needs to retire.

• Love 6
(edited)

Mozart!!  I don’t think Salieri poisons him in Amadeus but that’s how I knew the answer. 

Edited to add: I checked - in the play, he claims he poisoned him.  Not sure if that’s in the movie. 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 6

I would like to thank the movie "Amadeus" for leading me in the right direction of my wild-ass guess of Mozart.  I was shocked, shocked, I tell you, to find out I was correct. 

Congrats again, @MrAtoz!

I got Alcoa, finch, and around the neck. 

• Love 9

Well, I could have sat here for hours and not come up with FJ, though it did sound like something I might have heard at some point in the past. Rasputin wasn't a terrible guess, if not a couple hundred years off.

• Love 6

@MrAtoz I can’t believe that you didn’t get the answer Enterprise. That surprised me! Still congratulations on winning again. 

Nick was a member of the ex-choir boys? Perhaps we should recruit him for our orchestra. I’ll put it to a vote  

I got Herb Brooks for that fabulous 1980 Olympic Ice hockey win over Russia, Alcoa, slides, xenon, Fire to the Rain (Adele song) and totally blanked out on FJ. 

• Love 7

I should have known FJ. I played clarinet at a high level in school and performed many a Mozart concerto, because he friggin' LOVED the clarinet and wrote for it all the time. But I thought he lived longer than that, so I guessed Bach.

• Love 3

@MrAtoz Congrats Scott! Great game, again. Would you finish your East Berlin story here for us?

My phone rang just as FJ was coming up, so I paused while trying not to look (how did I ever live without DVR?). A saw "1791 death" and instantly said Mozart. I didn't even know I remembered this, but when I was in grade 3, we listened to Mozart to honour him on the 200th anniversary of his death. I can't believe that memory is still in my brain.

• Love 8
32 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

Yeah, but I prefer your post with the description of AT as asshole! The old goat needs to retire.

Perhaps, in the true spirit of Jeopardy!, I should have said "the alliterative Asshole Alex".  LOL

• Love 11
24 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Rasputin wasn't a terrible guess, if not a couple hundred years off.

Thanks, since that was my guess. What's a couple hundred years, give or take.

Add me to the group irritated with AH AT for highjacking Scott's interview and turning it to all about himself, where he ate, how much it cost, blah blah, me me. Trebek took up so much time gabbing about his favorite subject, we missed almost the entire last category.

We did get a "good for you," which gave me a much-needed drink, thank you very much.

I had no problem with the TS of Alcoa since it's a major employer here. Side note: Alcoa Inc. has changed its name to Arconic with the ticker symbol of ARNC. Alcoa Corp. still uses AA on the stock exchange.

Hooray for Scott knowing Jack LaLanne! Jack in his one-piece jump suit with his white German Shepherd Happy. Good times.

I got the TS of slide. Yeay for me.

I was disappointed Scott was beaten on the buzzer to Enterprise. That would have been an awesome shout out to MrAtoZ.

I yelled "YEAY!" out loud when Scott got the DD of xenon. So awesome.

And Fredrick March ... what, was he Before Your Time you two challengers? SO COOL SCOTT WON AGAIN!

I'm not sure I can stand the stress of having a favorite player keep winning. Gypsy curses notwithstanding.

9 minutes ago, opus said:
41 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I got Herb Brooks for that fabulous 1980 Olympic Ice hockey win over Russia,

It was sad that was a TS :(

I didn't remember Mr. Brooks' name, but I could come up with Kurt Russell if that's any consolation.

15 minutes ago, Tunia said:

Perhaps, in the true spirit of Jeopardy!, I should have said "the alliterative Asshole Alex".  LOL

In the category "Triple A."

• Love 15

I also want to hear more about East Berlin c. 1983. 

I got Alcoa, neck, slides, and FJ. My music teacher in middle school made us memorize the birth and death dates of the great composers. I don't recall him playing us much music, but I did remember Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 1756-1791. And the play/movie Amadeus. I taught at a Christian school for awhile, and in a gutsy move one of the English teachers directed it.

• Love 8
45 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I didn't remember Mr. Brooks' name, but I could come up with Kurt Russell if that's any consolation.

Perfectly fine. Miracle is the best movie EVER.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

@MrAtoz I can’t believe that you didn’t get the answer Enterprise. That surprised me! Still congratulations on winning again. 

Oh, I knew it.  I just didn't ring in in time.  That was probably the thing that I found the most difficult about doing the show, getting the timing of the signalling device right.  Even three games in, as you saw, I still never managed to become dominant at it the way some players do.

I was curious about how many of you would get Mozart for FJ.  Vienna and 1791 should have given it to me, but the mention of London threw me off.  The first name that popped into my head was Karl Marx, who lived in London for some time.  I knew it wasn't him--the date was too early, and I've never heard any rumors that he was poisoned.  But that got me to thinking about politics, and I was trying to think of some political figure who was associated with both Vienna and London.

Ruth actually got it right--the word she had crossed out was Mozart.  You can still see a bit of the M if you look.  If she had stuck to her guns, instead of changing it to Rasputin, she would have beaten me.  I felt sorry for her.  While we were talking to Alex after the game, she said, "That's going to haunt me," and I'm sure it will.  I liked Ruth; she was very nice, and we had bonded a little talking about our kids.

There wasn't much more to the East Berlin story, except that I was going to make basically the same point that Alex did about prices in those days.  We didn't go to a restaurant, but we did visit a department store.  This was supposedly the most exclusive, hoity-toity store in all of East Germany.  It was barely up to the standards of a K-Mart.  A bunch of cheap crap and hardly any selection.  So I would have gotten across the same basic information as Alex.

• Love 22
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Versailles, Indiana is another one. Ver-sails instead of Ver-sigh. (my own pronunciation guide).

They abound - Cairo, Illinois; Beaufort, South Carolina; Salina, Kansas; and so many more!

• Love 4

I knew Mozart right away, though I consider George III as well.  I think he died later in the 19th century though. 

But then I have a weird morbid interest in how famous people died.  And I remember it from Mozart. 

1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I also want to hear more about East Berlin c. 1983. 

I got Alcoa, neck, slides, and FJ. My music teacher in middle school made us memorize the birth and death dates of the great composers. I don't recall him playing us much music, but I did remember Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 1756-1791. And the play/movie Amadeus. I taught at a Christian school for awhile, and in a gutsy move one of the English teachers directed it.

One of my most vivid memories from middle school, I may have mentioned it before because Mozart comes up often on Jeopardy, but worth mentioning again because it was so funny :

Had a sub in music class so they decided to just let us watch the movie Mozart.  No one bothered to screen it and unknown to the poor sub there is a bare chested lady being ravished by Mozart in one of the first scenes of the film.  This was way back in the pre-remote VCR days, so she is frantically running up to the front, trying to figure out how to turn if off or get if off the screen but cannot figure it out.  So she just fast forwards through it. 

Scott wins again!  Good game by all though, until FJ

I know Alcoa because they used to sponsor the Fantastic Finishes segment on Sundays for the NFL.  They might have done You Make the Call as well, which I think they got rid of because they realized the NFL refs are wrong so often would be embarrassing to replay the screw ups

• Love 8

Yay, Scott!  I would have rather listened to you tell about East Berlin than Alex.  Much more relatable from a real person instead of from "I've been everywhere and my stories are more interesting" Trebek.  Plus, you probably wouldn't have yakked so long and you would have been able to finish that last category.

I call BS on that AAR ruling.  Scott knew it, the others didn't, so they shouldn't have gotten credit for their incorrect answers.

We got a GFY.  Drink!  ?

I got Alcoa, slides, and neck.

I miraculously got FJ.  At first I said Haydn, then crossed it out, and yelled Mozart!  I have no idea why.  Must be my last living brain cell remembered something significant about poisoning.

• Love 11
(edited)
24 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I call BS on that AAR ruling.  Scott knew it, the others didn't, so they shouldn't have gotten credit for their incorrect answers.

Agree. Only done so Scott wasn't a total runaway. (In my totally biased opinion.) And since when have writers admitted their clue writing stinks? Because it does much of the time.

24 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Must be my last living brain cell remembered something significant about poisoning.

May I borrow that brain cell for Monday's game?

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3
(edited)

Surprised they accepted "Merci" for the river.  (It's pronounced Merzee - Jerry and the Pacemakers anyone?)

Dredged Baldric out of nowhere, but an image from Blackadder had somehow leapt into my head.

image.png.44fbb6869d39964581c63e1add519e56.png

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I yelled "YEAY!" out loud when Scott got the DD of xenon. So awesome.

I was impressed. I think I heard a big exhalation from Nick, who was probably also impressed by Scott's knowledge.

And Fredrick March ... what, was he Before Your Time you two challengers?

OMGosh, I could not remember his name! I could see his face, and I always place him in Inherit the Wind, though I've seen him in many other movies.

My TSs were neck (for the armor) and Alcoa, though I said Alcoa Aluminum (because of AA). I don't know if that would be accepted.

What was the clue about a finch and fat necks?

55 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Ruth actually got it right--the word she had crossed out was Mozart.  You can still see a bit of the M if you look.  If she had stuck to her guns, instead of changing it to Rasputin, she would have beaten me.  I felt sorry for her.  While we were talking to Alex after the game, she said, "That's going to haunt me," and I'm sure it will.

Poor Ruth. Do you know why she changed her mind? I have to say that Rasputin did pop into my head -- poisoning, after all -- but I immediately knew 1791 was much MUCH too early. (And I think we can assume he did not die of strep throat. :D) I noted 'Vienna' in the clue and thought that was important, but I couldn't do anything with it and just settled on Jean-Paul Marat. No idea why.

Congratulations on another win, MrAtoz. I was very nervous.

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I got FJ! in a nanosecond and I know nothing about classical music.  

It was an instaget for me too, but not the mister. Which surprised me because he's the one who forced (encouraged strongly) me to see Amadeus, which we've now watched three or four times. Vienna and strep vs poison was all I needed.

I was surprised at the Mersey decision too. But the question about "blame it on the (acronym I forget)" was so confusing that I'm glad they rethought their decisions. The only thing I relate "blame it on the" to is "Bossanova." (yep, I'm that old)

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Surprised they accepted "Merci" for the river.  (It's pronounced Merzee - Jerry and the Pacemakers anyone?)

You gotta take the ferry across the Mer-zee. I have to admit I've never heard of the Merci River.

• Love 4
(edited)
13 minutes ago, saber5055 said:
31 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Must be my last living brain cell remembered something significant about poisoning.

May I borrow that brain cell for Monday's game?

Sure!  I actually have two, but one's usually asleep.  I'll try to make certain I lend you the one that's awake.

????????

Oh, and WTH?  I thought basketball season was over.  I had to hunt the episode down on YouTube because it was pre-empted by some stupid game.  Grrrrrrr!

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 4
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

UPDATE: Our Reigning Jeopardy Champ Scott is the most popular PTV poster ever. His "reveal" post now has 46 likes, a number I've not seen anywhere on any boards here. MrAtoz, you win the Internet today ... and all month.

Tooting my own horn here (I am a member of the orchestra after all), but I once got 70 likes for a post about Tim Gunn.  I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Not to take anything away from the lovely Scott!

• Love 7
(edited)
16 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Oh, and WTH?  I thought basketball season was over.  I had to hunt the episode down on YouTube because it was pre-empted by some stupid game.  Grrrrrrr!

Edited 4 minutes ago by CarpeDiem54.

You must get it on FOX?

I'm a huge sports fan* and even don't know what that was.

*Exhibit A- I have Canadian football on right now.

Edited by opus
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

but I did remember Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart 1756-1791.

I got Mozart.  "It is a sobering thought, for example, that when Mozart was my age, he had been dead for two years."  --Tom Lehrer

• Love 10
55 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Tooting my own horn here (I am a member of the orchestra after all), but I once got 70 likes for a post about Tim Gunn.  I'm sure I'm not the only one!

LOL - I was thrilled to receive 51 likes for a post in The View forum, apologizing to Canada for our recent strife and asking them not to give up on us.  Toot, Toot!

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Not to take anything away from the lovely Scott!

The highest I've personally seen so far is someone got 129 likes for a post in the Roseanne Aftermath thread.

Edited by opus
  • Love 6

Congrats to another great win. When I saw the clue, unexpectedly, the movie Amadeus popped into my head and I remembered Mozart dying around the same time as the signing of the Bill of Rights. I've always been a fan of Contemporaries categories. 

I'm part of one of those Facebook challenges to name your favorite books each day for a week so in honor of the response of meme, I selected "The Selfish Gene" as my choice for today. 

• Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

They abound - Cairo, Illinois; Beaufort, South Carolina; Salina, Kansas; and so many more!

I live near two weirdly pronounced places - the town of Chili, which is pronounces Chai-lai (rhymes with jai-alai - no one really knows why) and the town of Charlotte, pronounced Sher-LOTT. I see from that Detriot Free Press article that there's a Shar-LOTT in Michigan, too. Who knew it was such a common pronunciation?

I got Alcoa, slides, bullfinch, and neck. I guessed chemise for mantle in the medieval clothing category, but they were going for cloak, rather than shirt. Whiffed on FJ and I'm usually pretty good on both music and the 18th century. Despite Alex reminding us more than once how way way back in time it was, all my mental options were too late - Poe, Byron, Freud.

Yay, Scott! Don't feel bad about the buzzer issue. Difficulty with the timing of the buzzer is the most common complaint of contestants. At least you're still winning! Trying not to jinx you, though.

BTW, since we talked about Paw Patrol, I've started seeing it everywhere. My son is too old for it, thank God, but it does seem to be pretty popular. Even my mac and cheese is Paw Patrol themed. Unintentionally - I just bought it because it was on sale and Kraft M&C is still usually a reliable kid-friendly food option. I didn't even notice it until my son pointed it out and claimed he wouldn't eat it because he was too old for the show. Ugh. You'll eat the Star Wars shaped ones but not the Paw Patrol ones? They all taste the same!

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 6

I was shocked -- shocked! -- that none of Friday's contestants have ever seen Amadeus!  Instaget for us. 

After my WWTBAM show taped -- lo these 18+ years ago -- WildBoar and I went down to Times Square to the TKTS booth to see what Broadway shows might be available that night.  We ended up going to see Amadeus (David McCallum played Franz Joseph.)

• Love 4
11 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Oh, I knew it.  I just didn't ring in in time.  That was probably the thing that I found the most difficult about doing the show, getting the timing of the signalling device right.  Even three games in, as you saw, I still never managed to become dominant at it the way some players do.

I was curious about how many of you would get Mozart for FJ.  Vienna and 1791 should have given it to me, but the mention of London threw me off.  The first name that popped into my head was Karl Marx, who lived in London for some time.  I knew it wasn't him--the date was too early, and I've never heard any rumors that he was poisoned.  But that got me to thinking about politics, and I was trying to think of some political figure who was associated with both Vienna and London.

Ruth actually got it right--the word she had crossed out was Mozart.  You can still see a bit of the M if you look.  If she had stuck to her guns, instead of changing it to Rasputin, she would have beaten me.  I felt sorry for her.  While we were talking to Alex after the game, she said, "That's going to haunt me," and I'm sure it will.  I liked Ruth; she was very nice, and we had bonded a little talking about our kids.

There wasn't much more to the East Berlin story, except that I was going to make basically the same point that Alex did about prices in those days.  We didn't go to a restaurant, but we did visit a department store.  This was supposedly the most exclusive, hoity-toity store in all of East Germany.  It was barely up to the standards of a K-Mart.  A bunch of cheap crap and hardly any selection.  So I would have gotten across the same basic information as Alex.

Congratulations, Scott! It is a true pleasure watching J!, cheering you on.

I've heard that if a contestant rings in too soon, their buzzer de-activates for 1/4 second... is that true? I've also always wondered if you're allowed to ring in BEFORE Alex finishes reading the answer. Sometimes, I know the answer (question) before he finishes reading... by one word in the clue that gives it away. Then there's lots (lots!) of other times when I need google to come up with the right question ;-)

About Alex T... as a fellow Canuck, I feel some sort of mild defense for him. Very mild. I've always thought of him as an excellent host for his handsome looks, charming smile, and friendly conversation... and part of that has to do with watching the show with my parents many moons ago - they loved Alex! Lately, however, I wonder if he should retire and let someone who doesn't speak 17 languages (is that true about him?) take over his duties. He's at that age of wisdom: he knows a LOT of stuff. (I also know a lot of stuff when the answers are right in front of me. LOL) He's also at that age of knowing when to zip it - and yet he seems to forget that tactic and wants to steal the spotlight, shining it on HIM... like he did when you were talking about crossing the Berlin wall.

I've also heard that Alex doesn't want to talk to the contestants other than during the show. I never know what is real and what is fake anymore.

Again, good for you, Scott. *drink*

• Love 7

A friend I hadn't seen in months came over just at the end of DJ, so I missed the FJ clue/response. I felt pretty sure our MrAtoZ was going to win, so I wasn't too upset.  I did like the shade of green in your shirt, Scott. Good lookin' shirt & tie combo!

I went to a pre-concert "talk" once where the Assistant Conductor of the Atlanta Symphony was going to talk about Mozart. This was about the time the movie "Amadeus" was in theaters. He told us it was OK, nay *mandatory*, for us to pronounce it Ah-MAHD-ee-us. It got so, I have a hard time pronouncing it the regular way.

And speaking of Vienna and alternative pronunciations in the US, Georgia's Vienna is VYE-enna, which then leads to the old joke of the traveling salesman rolling into town and stopping for a burger & shake and asking the girl at the counter, "How do you pronounce this place?" to which she answers, very slowly so he'll understand, "Day-ree Queen."

In NC, there's not only Charlotte (pronounced normally) but a Shallotte (below Wilmington), pronounced almost identically, as the Southerners like to leave out Rs in many words.

As I understand it, AT doesn't talk to contestants as a "collusion prevention" measure.

• Love 5

Okay, I have to ask about one thing on last night's game.  I don't remember the exact wording, but there was a clue with a picture of a toddler swing, and the response they were looking for was "bucket seats", but after Alex read the clue, before the contestants buzzed in, he made some comment about the clue.  That struck me as very unusual.  Has he done that before?  I know he can have a lot to say after the fact, but commenting before they answer seem off.

Also, for the "blame it on" clue - I agree that the clue wasn't the clearest, but it did have a grain of meaning and I don't think Scott should have been penalized (by having the other two's scores upgraded) because he DID figure it out.  It wasn't like they were going for "blame it on Susan Lucci's eight husbands".

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I went to a pre-concert "talk" once where the Assistant Conductor of the Atlanta Symphony was going to talk about Mozart. This was about the time the movie "Amadeus" was in theaters. He told us it was OK, nay *mandatory*, for us to pronounce it Ah-MAHD-ee-us. It got so, I have a hard time pronouncing it the regular way.

I'm another one who only had a guess based on a long ago watching of Amadeus (or Ah-MAHD-ee-us).   And speaking of pronunciations, I was listening to a podcast about the world cup, and they kept talking about the equipment manufacturer ODDEY-dahs.  Finally figured out it's what Americans call a-DEED-as.  And some very incomplete Googling tells me that Americans are wrong.  Oh well.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, opus said:

The highest I've personally seen so far is someone got 129 likes for a post in the Roseanne Aftermath thread.

Well, now I'm going to have to find and read that single post. Thanks. ;) Update: Found it, fortunately it was on the first page.

1 hour ago, Kathira said:

BTW, since we talked about Paw Patrol, I've started seeing it everywhere. My son is too old for it, thank God, but it does seem to be pretty popular. Even my mac and cheese is Paw Patrol themed. Unintentionally - I just bought it because it was on sale and Kraft M&C is still usually a reliable kid-friendly food option. I didn't even notice it until my son pointed it out and claimed he wouldn't eat it because he was too old for the show. Ugh. You'll eat the Star Wars shaped ones but not the Paw Patrol ones? They all taste the same!

With my kids, the trick was, never show them the box. They weren't as observant when the shapes were covered in cheese sauce.

22 minutes ago, Bliss said:

He's also at that age of knowing when to zip it - and yet he seems to forget that tactic and wants to steal the spotlight, shining it on HIM... like he did when you were talking about crossing the Berlin wall.

Eh, I think he's more of an age where we start going "screw zipping it." It is a pretty freeing age, though I don't do that very often and only with someone who deserves it.

17 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

With my Austrian heritage (Salzburg in particular), to me, the original, native pronunciation, is the right way (and the regular way). Ya'll would hate it when I say German words when I answer clues. Because it just comes out of my mouth the way I learned it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 7
11 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Eh, I think he's more of an age where we start going "screw zipping it." It is a pretty freeing age, though I don't do that very often and only with someone who deserves it.

I totally agree with you, Clanstarling, about the freeing part (personally, I attribute it to a perk of the golden years) - I just cannot agree with AT not zipping it when his role is to make the contestants shine, not him. There were way too many negatives in that last sentence, I know.

If I didn't zip it, my kids and grandkids would say, "Who are you and what have you done with my Mom/Nana?" And then there are my friends, who often comment on the fact that I say stuff other people think and don't have the courage to utter. So there you have it. I'm a verbal chameleon, depending on my audience.

• Love 6