Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Actually, I believe that Alex has three anecdotes on those cards that he has during the interviews.  He's ultimately the one who chooses which one to ask about.  The contestant coordinators tell you beforehand which three stories they're giving him, so you can be somewhat prepared.

• Love 8

Can't believe that guide. They totally butchered "soda".

Bite your tongue. POP, POP! (channeling Magnitude!)

I have my own Checkpoint Charlie story, circa 1972, which I'll save in case I ever get on Jeopardy (not really likely, but I have to have something)

Steve Harvey as Jeopardy! host? I'd be so done. I hate that smarmy hypocritical smirking slimeball. I could tolerate Ken Jennings, though. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I didn't know about Ken Jennings' tweets. Ick.

I follow Ken Jennings, Washington Post reporter Dan Zak and Michael Moore among others. Between those three, I know what's going on everywhere. Mr. Jenning's account is clever, highly entertaining (especially the responses) and brightens my day. Plus he links his podcasts, and Kennection quizzes on Mental Floss. If you dislike someone for one thing they've said or written, then no one anywhere (including here) would have any friends. Ken's account routinely sends me to google to find out what the joke is, it goes over my head. And I'm very tall.

1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Actually, I believe that Alex has three anecdotes on those cards that he has during the interviews.  He's ultimately the one who chooses which one to ask about.  The contestant coordinators tell you beforehand which three stories they're giving him, so you can be somewhat prepared.

That's what the contestant who was in Willy Wonka said, and Trebek chose not to mention that fun fact in his interview. If you win today, Scott, then you had to give more anecdotes to Alex! I hope so anyway, even if you have to go up against WildSow's brother Jim tomorrow. I've looked at today's FJ and it might favor a librarian. I have no clue though, as always.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

Thanks for continuing to inform us about the show!

(Love your screen name.)

• Love 5
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I follow Ken Jennings, Washington Post reporter Dan Zak and Michael Moore among others. Between those three, I know what's going on everywhere. Mr. Jenning's account is clever, highly entertaining (especially the responses) and brightens my day. Plus he links his podcasts, and Kennection quizzes on Mental Floss. If you dislike someone for one thing they've said or written, then no one anywhere (including here) would have any friends. Ken's account routinely sends me to google to find out what the joke is, it goes over my head. And I'm very tall.

I used to follow Jennings. I can't remember why I stopped. I'm guessing it was because at the time he was talking a lot about a subject I had no interest in, maybe promoting something. I follow so many people that I hardly have time to read every one.

• Love 2

MONTHS! MONTHS! I kept screaming "MONTHS!". I understood the category--why didn't they?! So, of course I got Octobers, June and January. Were "March" & "August" also TS, or did they actually get those? Maybe Alex should have done what he usually does---reminds them/explains the category.

• Love 11
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Scott, then you had to give more anecdotes to Alex! I hope so anyway, even if you have to go up against WildSow's brother Jim tomorrow.

Welp, you're free and clear to support Jim tomorrow, unless you really like Suzanne.

Nice run , Scott. Spend the money wisely :)

• Love 12

I apparently wasn't paying full attention during the first round -- I didn't get the Book of the Month category until the very end.  Color me, well, inattentive.  :)  Despite that, I did get June, but mostly because I've read the book.

FJ wasn't quite an instaget, but only because the title wouldn't come to my brain fast enough.  I knew immediately which book they wanted.

Sorry to see you go, @MrAtoz!   Not a great fan of Suzanne, so I will be happy to root for Jim tomorrow!

• Love 9
(edited)
30 minutes ago, opus said:

Welp, you're free and clear to support Jim tomorrow, unless you really like Suzanne.

Nice run , Scott. Spend the money wisely :)

Good job, Scott!  Looks like Jim is up against a very good player.

But I can say for sure that Jim would have gotten Rhubarb!  Mom always grew a patch of it and made great pies!  

Edited by The Wild Sow
add info
  • Love 6

Well, crap on that!

Congrats on your annoying free run, Scott.  Although, I was also screaming MONTHS at my tv during that first round.

Plus side, I can now guilt-free root for a certain someone's brother tomorrow.

My only get tonight was Criminal Minds and FJ, even though I thought it was way too obvious that it couldn't possibly be right.

• Love 9
(edited)

Good run, and a nice pile of cash to fund your Route 66 trip, @MrAtoz!  Sorry to see you go.  But it does free me up to root for Jim tomorrow.

I got Criminal Minds, New Orleans & Los Angeles, Prime Suspect, and phoenix.  

I was clueless for FJ.  I've never read that book, plus I thought it was written by Amy Tan, not someone named Mei (?).

Edited by CarpeDiem54
  • Love 8
20 minutes ago, lb60 said:

Well, crap on that!

I second that emotion.

25 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I apparently wasn't paying full attention during the first round -- I didn't get the Book of the Month category until the very end. 

I didn't "get" the Book of the Month category until I read your post, Browncoat. I ASS-umed it was the regular Book Of The Month Club category, popular books. Not books with months in their names. So double duh for me.

I did yell "FU" at my tv when Trebek said he was taking back what he said about the players being smart when all three were tanking at the beginning. That really ticked me. Would Steve Harvey have said that?

Adam was a weaver. Suzanne is a buzzer jerker. Scott wore a very handsome blue shirt that matched the background. Scott is ranked tops for no annoying anythings during his reign. Three wins is impressive, and your betting in FJ was spot on. If only Buzzer Jerker Suzanne had not got the correct FJ answer. Made me not happy.

Great interview, too, Scott. I've been on Route 66 many times, from Illinois to Arizona. And YES! The Wigwam Motel in Holbrook, Ariz., is still in operation. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2002. I love buildings in the shape of "things," like a hot dog, shoe, fish. That's Americana. Scott, tell us when you go on your Route 66 adventure so we can ride along with you vicariously. Your wife must be flying high having a NON ANNOYING Jeopardy champion as a husband. Lucky her!

I got flyboy (had a dog named that) and flygirl (loved In Living Color), phoenix, bee and something else I've already forgotten.

I was surprised the writers called the Oklahoma City bombers "terrorists" since they were white Americans. /sarcasm/

41 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

But I can say for sure that Jim would have gotten Rhubarb!  Mom always grew a patch of it and made great pies!  

I grew up with my mom making rhubarb everything, and I have a big patch of rhubarb myself. But I've never EVER heard of any drink made out of it. But I'm Swedish, so wrong nationality. Swedes drink glogg.

Well, you'll be missed Scott. We hardly knew ye. But now I'm rooting 100 percent for tomorrow's player with the porcine connection.

• Love 12
7 minutes ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I was clueless for FJ.  I've never read that book, plus I thought it was written by Amy Tan, not someone named Mei (?).

It was written by Amy Tan, so you were right! The  name in the question referred to a character in the book.

• Love 7

Wait...who are we all rooting for tomorrow? Suzanne (or as I called her, "pleasant looking Kelly Anne Conway") was a good player, but I'll hop on board to root for anyone with a connection to this forum!

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Scott is ranked tops for no annoying anythings during his reign.

Scott, would you like to be the next host of Jeopardy?

• Love 10
(edited)
11 minutes ago, SHD said:

Wait...who are we all rooting for tomorrow? Suzanne (or as I called her, "pleasant looking Kelly Anne Conway") was a good player, but I'll hop on board to root for anyone with a connection to this forum!

LOL I didn't want to say anything.....but we were calling her "Kellyanne Conway's Good Twin!"

Well, Jim (tomorrow) is my brother.  He also posts on these forums -- I will leave it to him to reveal his screen name if he so chooses.

Edited by The Wild Sow
add info
  • Love 12

My boyfriend was so busy looking at Suzanne’s chest that he hardly could read the clues. I told him all bets are off. Tomorrow he has to root for Jim. There were 13 TS-er’s. Is that a record? 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, The Wild Sow said:

LOL I didn't want to say anything.....but we were calling her "Kellyanne Conway's Good Twin!"

Tomorrow I hope she's Kellyanne Conway's Stupidly Dumb Half-Wit Twin.

5 minutes ago, Driad said:

Scott, would you like to be the next host of Jeopardy?

Now that's something I could get behind. Big YES from me.

• Love 6
33 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Well, Jim (tomorrow) is my brother.  He also posts on these forums -- I will leave it to him to reveal his screen name if he so chooses.

Ha ha - great minds think alike!

OK, I'm in for rooting for your brother tomorrow. How exciting! My sister-in-law was on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire once and I was thrilled!

• Love 4

MrAtoz, please do stick around and share your comments. (Although I do not feel you are the least bit snarky, so there's that!) Past contestants have good street cred here, and I find it remarkable that you were an irritation-free player. I liked you kept your buzzer below the podium. I know players are suppose to keep trying to ring in, but all the buzzer jerking (SUZANNE! GAH!) is so distracting. We couldn't see you buzzing in, so you always appeared cool and calm. I did not notice you saying "uh."

I am highly disappointed though, that you did not make ToC. I know you would have done well, plus we could have rooted for you again. It was fun to have a star in our midst, and for three whole days. (Not counting the weekend.)

10 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

And I really have no excuse for not getting "Criminal Minds."  My wife watches that all the time!

You will be haunted by that show from now until eternity. It's rerun here pretty much 24/7.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.  Watching the show, it wasn't the fiasco that I remembered it being!  I'll cop to making a few silly mistakes, that Suzanne was able to capitalize on.  I don't think any of us caught on that all the answers in "Book of the Month" were the names of months until after it was over!  If I had, I could have figured out "Octobers" for the Mickey Mantle book, and certainly wouldn't have made the silly guess of "Eve" for the Patricia Highsmith book.  Saying "Japan" instead of "Honshu" was just careless of me.  And I really have no excuse for not getting "Criminal Minds."  My wife watches that all the time!  But I was glad to see that I did as well as I did, and that with that last Daily Double I was able to keep it from being a runaway.  Who knows, with a different Final Jeopardy...

I'm glad you all think I was annoyance free, although I personally noticed that I said "Uh.." a lot before picking the next category.  And I was trying so hard not to do that, too!

So everybody feel free to root for Jim tomorrow.  I split after my game, so I honestly don't know what happens (and of course, I couldn't tell you even if I did).  Thank you all for the warm welcome.  I'll probably stick around and comment from time to time.  As I said, I've lurked here for quite awhile, so it's nice to finally step out and comment.

This was the first time I was avidly rooting for a contestant to win - mainly because of your sportsmanship both on the show and here. You must be proud of your accomplishment (and I wish like others that you'd made the ToC). Didn't notice your 'uh's at all... and I'm a toastmaster (when they get annoying, I still have a tendency to count them... old habits die hard).

Enjoy your after-tax winnings! If you want them to go further, consider a trip to Canada! Our dollar is painfully weak at the moment.

p.s. I guessed Eve too!

• Love 5
(edited)
10 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

I'll probably stick around and comment from time to time.  As I said, I've lurked here for quite awhile, so it's nice to finally step out and comment.

Please do! Winning three games on Jeopardy is an excellent lifetime achievement and you got a nice chunk of change besides. Congratulations also on not being an annoying contestant.

For tonight, I got Prime Suspect, bread and butter (smorebrod), Octobers, June, January and phoenix. Also the FJ. I wasn't sure, but it lept into my head and I couldn't think of anything else.

Edited by Kathira
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, MrAtoz said:

I'm glad you all think I was annoyance free, although I personally noticed that I said "Uh.." a lot before picking the next category.  And I was trying so hard not to do that, too!

I did not notice your "Uh"s, but I did notice you gave full names (Martin Luther King Jr). That and a bold (successful) DD wager make you a super likable contestant. Very exciting game at the end!

• Love 12
(edited)

For anyone who doesn't know Prime Suspect and likes police procedurals, this (with Helen Mirren) is a must see.

I also like Suzanne. 

MrAtoz, I have to ask, do they iron your shirts for you if you appear, or just supply an ironing board and iron?  As a hater of people in wrinkled shirts, you impressed me mightily.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 5
57 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

I don't think any of us caught on that all the answers in "Book of the Month" were the names of months until after it was over!

Me too, although actually at the beginning I noticed the months in the titles, but I think I forgot about them, or got confused, when you all went to another category and then back again.

I didn't notice. Now if you had started each sentence with "So...".....

Sorry to see you go. Honestly, you were a pleasure to watch, and I'm not just saying that because you're here. 

43 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

MrAtoz, please do stick around and share your comments. (Although I do not feel you are the least bit snarky, so there's that!)

Yeah, snark it up, fly boy.

The TSs I got were Prime Suspect, June, Louis Prima, and phoenix. I said bull but forgot about the cow. Instead of Criminal Minds I said Cold Case.

In the Book of the Month category re the baseball book, did anyone else say, All My Balls? Just me?

The Joy Luck Club was the only book I could think of, yet I wondered if that was correct because of "the corner" part of the clue. I thought maybe the title had "square" in it or something like that.

• Love 10
(edited)

You did good Scott and will be missed (at least by this forum).  You made me feel connected to Jeopardy in a six degrees of separation way so thank you for that.  Enjoy your winnings and take the route 66 road trip.  As someone else mentioned please post along the way, especially from the Wigwam so we can all enjoy it.  Thanks again for sharing your experiences.

Count me among those who will root for Jim tomorrow.

Edited by Grundoon59
Because Tom does not = Jim.
  • Love 9

@MrAtoz congrats on your win! It's quite an achievement. As someone who would never have the nerve to go on tv, I love living vicariously through you and other past contestants who post here. 

• Love 8
5 minutes ago, Fex said:

I did not notice your "Uh"s, but I did notice you gave full names (Martin Luther King Jr).

Yes, you should have gotten bonus points for full names. Anyone else would have just said "King." Then we would have had to wonder if it was Kit King or King Carson.

5 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

This made me LOL. And woke up my dogs.

9 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

In the Book of the Month category re the baseball book, did anyone else say, All My Balls? Just me?

I wish you had been on the show and first to ring in with that answer. It would be right up there with "What is a hoe."

5 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

The Joy Luck Club was the only book I could think of, yet I wondered if that was correct because of "the corner" part of the clue. I thought maybe the title had "square" in it or something like that.

I was thinking the same, so came up with nothing. Maybe if I'd read The Joy Luck Club I'd know it means something with corners. But then that would ruin my streak of not knowing FJs. Well, except for that Magic Eight Ball one.

• Love 6

I didn't twig to Book of the MONTH, but Mr. Author did. Plus, a *picture* of Louis Prima with Keeley Smith (sob!) Now I'm singing, "That old black magic..."

FJ was an instaget. I don't know Amy Tan personally, but my lit agent is with the same literary agency that reps Amy. Does that count? :)

• Love 7
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I was thinking the same, so came up with nothing. Maybe if I'd read The Joy Luck Club I'd know it means something with corners. 

I've never read it (or seen the movie), and I thought it had to do with food. I just googled. Food is part of it, but "corners" refers to mahjong.

8 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Many thanks to my sister, TheWildSow, for building up a fan base for me! I don't think I'll comment until after Tuesday's show. I'm looking forward to seeing it myself! It goes by so fast while you're actually taping that it's hard to remember WHAT you said and when, you know?

I'm looking forward to seeing you and rooting you on. 

25 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

To tell you the truth, I'm of two minds about this.  It's true that I usually gave full names (except for "Roth" in the IRA category, because I didn't know his first name!), but it's not such a bad strategy to just give the last name.  If they want more specificity, they can ask for it.  But what if you volunteer the first name, and it's wrong? 

Of course this all makes sense. It's the judges whom we judge when they don't ask for more specificity when someone answers, "Who is Smith."

And Commodore Perry, who opened Japan to the West.  Was that Matthew...

"Could this BE any more east?"8d0fbdd1f547eb8a04a071489ddf9464.jpg 

• Love 13

Well today was a good day for me as I knew most of the clues in both Jeopardy and double jeopardy, and you the answer to Final Jeopardy. The only categories I really struggled with was The Shakespearean category and the island category, and I got at least two right and those. I was literally shocked at some of the answers that they failed to give. I was totally amazed that they did not realize that the answers should be a month of the year. I always skip the beginning did Alex not explain that?  I felt that the new Champion was very calm and she seemed very knowledgeable. I'm looking forward to see if she's a one-and-done or if she hangs around for a little bit.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

I didn't twig to Book of the MONTH, but Mr. Author did. Plus, a *picture* of Louis Prima with Keeley Smith (sob!) Now I'm singing, "That old black magic..."

FJ was an instaget. I don't know Amy Tan personally, but my lit agent is with the same literary agency that reps Amy. Does that count? :)

I was doing well in the months category, but didn't clue in until I missed the baseball book (Hits instead of balls, so not funny.)

Amy Tan went to the same college I did, and worked in the same profession as well, but sadly, I never met her. Does that count?

• Love 3

Okay, I'm fangirling because MrAtoz quoted me. I'm squeeing almost as much as when Ken Jennings replied to one of my tweets. I'm one Kevin Bacon away from being famous!

3 hours ago, opus said:
15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

That should be the official motto of this board.

So much YES. It's a great mind you have there, Opus.

3 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I was totally amazed that they did not realize that the answers should be a month of the year.

Hold on to that amazement since many of us show-watching J! PTV posters didn't realize it either. The amazing thing is that Trebek didn't expound on the category as usual.

3 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I felt that the new Champion was very calm and she seemed very knowledgeable. I'm looking forward to see if she's a one-and-done or if she hangs around for a little bit.

I'm hoping Jim kicks her ass.

4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I've never read it (or seen the movie), and I thought it had to do with food. I just googled. Food is part of it, but "corners" refers to mahjong.

Thank you for the google. Now I'll be able to answer that FJ if I see the rerun. If I remember ...

5 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

it's not such a bad strategy to just give the last name.  If they want more specificity, they can ask for it.  But what if you volunteer the first name, and it's wrong?

Well, of course that makes sense. Plus it gives us something to snark about here. Still, well done on the full names you did give, MrAtoz.

17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Great interview, too, Scott. I've been on Route 66 many times, from Illinois to Arizona.

Oh, god, I pulled a Trebek and turned Scott's interview story about me. I hate myself.

10 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Plus, a *picture* of Louis Prima with Keeley Smith (sob!) Now I'm singing, "That old black magic..."

So famous Back In The Day. I always thought Keeley Smith was so weird though. Even if she was Before My Time. *cough*

13 hours ago, Gimmick Genius said:

My brush with greatness is that I sat between Scott and Suzanne on the bus ride to the studio. And if anybody couldn't tell, Adam from Monday was crazy tall. Scott and Suzanne were probably standing on foot-high boxes to match him!

EXCELLENT story, Gimmick! I hope some of their winning-Jeopardy-games mojo wore off on you. I'll be stressing watching you today. I'm keeping my gypsy curses to myself in hopes you win!

• Love 6
3 hours ago, opus said:
15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

That should be the official motto of this board.

Would we need a separate motto for fly girls, women authors, et al?

• Love 6

Does that count?

LOL. Good for you!

And okay, I take it back. No more 'does that count'!

I always thought Keeley Smith was so weird though. Even if she was Before My Time. *cough*

And I was a wee lass *cough* with scraped elbows and skinned knees and an undying love for Fess Parker, but, oh, how I wanted Keeley's straight black hair and pixie bangs.

Except, even if I tried ironing my curls, I still looked like a plump Shirley Temple with Anne (of Green Gables) colored hair.

• Love 3
(edited)

My local news just did an extended story on Route 66 and what's happening on that historic road during the 4th holiday. Emphasis was put on Illinois attractions such as Dell Rhea Chicken Basket in Willowbrook, the Route 66 museum in Pontiac and the Joliet prison (where Prison Break was filmed!).

The whole segment was dedicated to Scott McFadden, although they neglected to say so.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

I was unhappy that Alex coaxed Adam when he was in the male/female category and only gave "bull"(headed) and didn't include "cow" (for Hathor).  So often he just waits a while for people to figure out for themselves that they have given an incomplete answer, but this time he gives a hint.  

• Love 4
(edited)

So sorry we won't see @MrAtoz in the ToC, but at least we don't have to choose between him & @Gimmick Genius. I enjoyed watching your games, Scott, & loved your shirt & tie combos, especially the green. The blue shirt that matched the set background paired with the gray & white striped tie was nice too. 

I was surprised that Mozart was a TS, and I have a sneaking suspicion that I knew he died in 1791 because of the Falco song. I felt bad for Ruth, because you could easily see the "M" in her scratched out answer. Totally calling bs on Nick & Ruth getting credit for their answers; "Blame it on the..." is how I got it. Because of the Milli Vanilli song. And that concludes my embarrassing pop culture admissions for the day. 

Monday's TS were Criminal Minds, NOLA & LA, Prime Suspect, bread & butter, Octobers, fly, Louis Prima, phoenix. I got FJ but wasn't 100% certain.  

On 6/29/2018 at 5:29 PM, saber5055 said:

Now I need to go drink a nice cool bottle of Midwestern POP!

We were in Omaha in the fall, and I loved how everyone said pop. It sounded so cute. In NOLA everything is a Coke (even when it's not), or a cold drink (even when they're hot). 

On 6/29/2018 at 5:37 PM, Trey said:

The Giving Tree makes me cry.

Me too. I teared up at the clue, and at the display I saw in B&N a few weeks ago. MiniToothbrush #3 was with me & said "you're not going to cry are you Mommy?" Rotten kid. 

On 6/29/2018 at 7:05 PM, Mindthinkr said:

Nick was a member of the ex-choir boys? Perhaps we should recruit him for our orchestra. I’ll put it to a vote  

I approve. He was cute. 

On 6/29/2018 at 10:32 PM, Driad said:

I got Mozart.  "It is a sobering thought, for example, that when Mozart was my age, he had been dead for two years."  --Tom Lehrer

How I wish we could recruit Tom Lehrer for our band. I will consider him an honorary member. 

21 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

My boyfriend was so busy looking at Suzanne’s chest that he hardly could read the clues. 

Dr. Toothbrush too. Sheesh! 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 8

MrAtoz continues to be on my teevee. Three times today a new Jeopardy commercial has played, with Trebek saying "I like being with smart people" (paraphrase), then "You're all tied" (paraphrase again) and a very clear closeup of Scott in his handsome blue shirt. I just happened to glance at the tv when Scott appeared, so I need to watch more closely when it is on again.

Apparently, Trebek found himself so clever on yesterday's episode that a commercial featuring him and his wit needed to be made. Although I don't mind since it means Scott lives on ...

• Love 3