Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 34 (2017-2018)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Being Catholic, I knew Fatima was in Portugal.  And for FJ,  I was wavering between Mekong River and Kwai(thinking Bridge on the River Kwai).  I was surprised Scarlett went with Ganges...that is well known as the sacred river of India.  I liked Scarlett,, she was cheerful & was having fun, so disappointed she is gone already.

• Love 5

Is it some curse that the person who takes down the big winner is always a one and done? I was hoping Scarlett, after her fine play yesterday, would continue on today. But no. I didn't listen to the intros so figured Manny was in the Navy based on what he was wearing (Yes, I'm a moron!) so FJ was a lock for him as I expect he's been there in person. And mojoween, you made me happy with the avatar shout out. Your guess was close, my avatar does look like the TS dog, a Bearded Collie, but it is a PBGV, a Petite Basset Griffon Vendeen. That TS was easy peasy for me since I show dogs. If I'm ever on Jeopardy, I want DOG and HORSE BREEDS to be categories. With a muskox or two tossed in.

Crumb, there is no "e" on Petit. I SAID I was a moron.

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, RT4 said:

Yeah I agree Michelle Should have Wager enough for the lead on her DD but since she got FJ Wrong it wouldn't had matter

Obviously it didn't matter in the end, but that doesn't excuse bad wagering. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Did I see a photo of @saber5055’s avatar or was that a different breed?

I can’t believe someone who works in newspapers didn’t get embedded.  I can’t believe embedded was a TS.

Manny said Department of the Treasury and Department of Justice which grated because aren’t they called the other way around?

They might be sometimes called the other way around but officially, it is the way he said them. 

https://www.treasury.gov/Pages/default.aspx

https://www.justice.gov/

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

avatar does look like the TS dog, a Bearded Collie, but it is a PBGV, a Petite Basset Griffon Vendeen.

I had to zoom in on your avatar. That's a smirking Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen. :D The bearded collie on the show also had a great expression.

I'm sorry Scarlett was one-and-done. It's always surprising when a contestant is on fire one day and then falls to ashes the next.

My TSs: bearded (collie), embedded, Carnegie, and Burbank.

I didn't know that of corn, the ear is the female and the tassel is the male. Interesting. I said silk instead of tassel. Is that the same?

I guessed Mekong for FJ. It was the only river I could think of in that region.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I said silk instead of tassel. Is that the same?

It isn't -- the tassel is the part at the top of the stalk, not connected to the ear at all.  Each kernel of corn has a silk attached to it.  Pollen (aka sperm) from the tassels lands on the silk and fertilizes it, creating the kernel. 

• Love 5
20 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

Even I, the Geographic Idiot, knew Mekong River.  I've noticed military contestants do very well on the show.  Wonder why?

We're well-traveled, which certainly helps. Also, most of us received lots of military history lessons during training, which leads those of us who are intellectually curious to do more independent learning about history.

I only spent six years in the service and think it helps me when I play Jeopardy at home. A lifer like the new champ would definitely benefit even more than I do. Also, I think he said he grew up living in many different places. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Fex said:

How far in advance are these episodes taped? There were a couple eerily topical questions tonight: Catalan and Tom Petty.

I figured they taped them well in advance of Petty's death (got a little dusty in my living room). I think the Catalan thing might have been brewing for awhile, but I haven't really paid a lot of attention.

2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

It isn't -- the tassel is the part at the top of the stalk, not connected to the ear at all.  Each kernel of corn has a silk attached to it.  Pollen (aka sperm) from the tassels lands on the silk and fertilizes it, creating the kernel. 

I was going to say silk myself, but realized the word was in the clue, so that wasn't it.

I got Mekong due to "Mekong Delta" being referred to repeatedly during my youth, due to the war in Vietnam. I wasn't sure, but it was the only river I knew of in the region. 

An interesting point about the military @teebax. I was a military brat, so there are some categories I know pretty well from having been there. You'd think geography would be one of them, but some of the places I knew of or went through as a kid are no longer there (by those names), as they've split it many other countries. 

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I am still sad about Tom Petty.

TS I got include bread, bearded collie, embedded, breast stroke, and Dale Carnegie.

FJ was a total guess for me -- I couldn't think of any other river in that part of the world.  I was surprised to find I was correct.

Manny pissed me off by starting in the middles of categories.  I really hoped either of the women would win.

The Tom Petty answer made me sad too.  I know they filmed this before he died

No idea on final jeopardy.

Agreed about the final DD wager, was a waste, needed to wager more to take the lead. 

• Love 1

I liked Scarlett; I'm sorry she didn't last longer.

It was kind of a slow game for me, so many answers just on the tip of my tongue that wouldn't come out.  I did get a few ts's:  gloves, bread, embedded and carnation.

For FJ I did think of Ganges first (which, after looking at a map of the area, was fairly stupid) but quickly switched to Mekong.

New champ seems okay, even if he does start in the middle of the categories.

• Love 1

Is it some curse that the person who takes down the big winner is always a one and done? 

I hadn't noticed that pattern but someone pointed it out yesterday so I was curious to see if it held. Still, epic flame out by Scarlett.

I love the design of Laos' flag but couldn't remember the name Mekong to save my life. It makes sense a military guy would get it but I think Manny will be a one-and-done. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Was it? Obviously I missed that.

It may have been "silky" rather than "silk" - but close enough for me to try to think of something else. I failed, because tassels don't say "corn" to me (city girl, I guess).

• Love 1

The corn question definitely had "silk" in it, because I was already to say "silk" before Trebek said it. Then I was stupidly stumped, even though I live in the middle of a corn field and know all about detasseling, one of the worst jobs a kid can have in the heat of summer. Short corn lesson: To create hybrid corn (remember hybrid vigor?) which is used for seed corn to plant the next year, alternating rows of two different kinds of corn are planted. Once the corn tassels (the fringy thing that grows out of the top of the stalk), the tassels are removed from all of one kind of corn (female) so the other kind of corn (male) will pollinate the corn (via the silk) on the detasseled stalks, thereby creating corn that is a combo of two established types. Once all cobs are fertilized by the "male" corn's tassel, those rows are removed (either mowed down or made into silage) so only the hybrid ears are harvested. End of lesson.

And yes, peeayebee, my avatar dog is indeed smirking, which is why I chose that picture of him. I believe I know what he was thinking when I took that photo ...

• Love 6
35 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

The corn question definitely had "silk" in it, because I was already to say "silk" before Trebek said it. Then I was stupidly stumped, even though I live in the middle of a corn field and know all about detasseling, one of the worst jobs a kid can have in the heat of summer. Short corn lesson: To create hybrid corn (remember hybrid vigor?) which is used for seed corn to plant the next year, alternating rows of two different kinds of corn are planted. Once the corn tassels (the fringy thing that grows out of the top of the stalk), the tassels are removed from all of one kind of corn (female) so the other kind of corn (male) will pollinate the corn (via the silk) on the detasseled stalks, thereby creating corn that is a combo of two established types. Once all cobs are fertilized by the "male" corn's tassel, those rows are removed (either mowed down or made into silage) so only the hybrid ears are harvested. End of lesson.

And yes, peeayebee, my avatar dog is indeed smirking, which is why I chose that picture of him. I believe I know what he was thinking when I took that photo ...

Corn sex!! I love it!

• Love 4

Does anyone have an idea about how this has happened so many times?

Maybe the following game is anticlimactic for that person, who put all their energy and focus into defeating the mega-champ. 

• Love 3
14 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Maybe the following game is anticlimactic for that person, who put all their energy and focus into defeating the mega-champ. 

I think that's a good thought, coupled with the likelihood that it's fatigue defeating the repeat champion as much as anything else. Meaning the player who beats them, no matter how impressive they seem, is really benefitting more from a tired champ than the fact that they are a phenomenal Jeopardy player. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

The website that has all the statistics took the 7 people who had 10 or more games before losing.  Every single one of them lost to a new winner who was "one-and-done."  That has got to mean something.  Does anyone have an idea about how this has happened so many times?  I find it very curious....

That seems statistically unlikely... so that's weird.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

The website that has all the statistics took the 7 people who had 10 or more games before losing.  Every single one of them lost to a new winner who was "one-and-done."  That has got to mean something.  Does anyone have an idea about how this has happened so many times?  I find it very curious....

If this is true (that every single new winner was a one-and-done)... is it possible that there's some hanky panky going on? Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist at all... (I'm really not)... however, it begs the question, how does someone do as well as Scarlett did during taping "x" and then appear to lose her zip and do so poorly during taping "x+1"? Is it possible the show leaks answers (questions) or categories or hints in such a way that it can't be discovered? Or do the writers know the "one-and-done"'s knowledge base and tailor the answers to suit them (just for taping "x")? Just thinking out loud here. I find it statistically rare that whoever beats the running champ doesn't last at least 2 shows. Bizarre.

• Love 1

Seven samples is statistically not enough to draw any conclusions from.  And I agree--we should also be looking at how many champs only win one game and then are gone.  I've seen a lot who are not giant killers who rock it out of the gate their first game, and win very impressively, only to falter in the second game.  The level of scrutiny and security around game shows and especially ones like Jeopardy! and Wheel is so heightened that I think any collusion or conspiracy is impossible.  Plus, the categories and clues are lined up well before the names of contestants are drawn.  There are a lot of protections in place to prevent cheating of any kind.

• Love 9

I'm interested in the one-and-done curse too. I can come up with conspiracy theories. But it's so hard to believe that Scarlett, who played "on fire" to beat Austin, was cold as an iceberg one-half hour later during the next game. She was lucky they didn't have a fourth place or she would have won that. Doesn't make sense.

• Love 1

It seems like it hasn't been that long since we on this board were all complaining that there were so many one-and-dones, who did so well during their first games, we thought they'd last.  And in some cases, we hoped they'd last.  But they all flamed out (some dramatically) in their second games.  I don't think it's that unusual, and I highly doubt there's some sort of conspiracy.

• Love 6

I completely believe everything's on the up and up with this show. It's just very hard to win multiple games. It takes a couple of years before there's a good bunch of players for the TOC. I always sleep poorly in a hotel, especially the first night, and that's without the stress/excitement of Jeopardy in the mix, which would make me sleep poorly even in my own bed. Adrenaline can be helpful for some but won't last forever. And for others, adrenaline might make them mess them up.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

But it's so hard to believe that Scarlett, who played "on fire" to beat Austin, was cold as an iceberg one-half hour later during the next game

It might not have only been a half hour depending on where the previous show fell in the shooting schedule. Also, I have no problem believing it. Being on "fire" means she rang in well, had topics she knew, bet well on DD etc. Changes to any of those things can make you sputter. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, biakbiak said:

It might not have only been a half hour depending on where the previous show fell in the shooting schedule. Also, I have no problem believing it. Being on "fire" means she rang in well, had topics she knew, bet well on DD etc. Changes to any of those things can make you sputter. 

Good point - I have days where I run categories and do well, and others where my brain is a slug and I can't even spit out answers I know. (at home, of course). 

That's one of the reasons (so I tell myself) that I've never tried out. I'd be afraid my first time out of the gate I'd be the slug.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

The Tom Petty answer made me sad too.  I know they filmed this before he died

I had just watched the week's episode of British quiz show "Only Connect" right before Jeopardy!, and TP - more specifically, "American Girl" - was a clue there as well.  A bit eerie.

• Love 3

Today was a model Jeopardy game.  All three contestants in it, some lead changes, a couple triple stumpers but no obviously dumb responses that I can remember.  All three contestants were smarter than the average bear.

MORE GAMES LIKE THIS, PLEASE!

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, Roaster said:

Today was a model Jeopardy game.  All three contestants in it, some lead changes, a couple triple stumpers but no obviously dumb responses that I can remember.  All three contestants were smarter than the average bear.

MORE GAMES LIKE THIS, PLEASE!

If only Manny had always started at the tops of categories, it would have been even better!!!

FJ came to me so quickly, I was certain I was wrong.  But I couldn't think of anything else, so I stuck with it.

I only got two TS -- Phoebe (though I never watched Friends), and Beatrix Potter.  I was a little sad that Beatrix Potter was a TS, too.

• Love 4

Congrats to Manny.  All three contestants were good, but Emily was a little too giggly (I wouldn't have minded if she'd won, though) and Jayanthi kept staring at the leaderboard, which drove me batty.

I got Phoebe, myrtle, sinn fein, and Beatrix Potter.

I didn't get FJ.

• Love 7

Jayanthi kept staring at the leaderboard, which drove me batty.

And gesturing at the board every time she chose a clue. Thank goodness she didn't win.

For TS, I got juggling and Sinn Fein (how soon they forget). I wild guessed AOL for FJ. 

Why do military people on J! often wear uniforms? They are not on duty. 

I'm not sure why but I think it looks nice.

Edited by YoureSoUrban
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Driad said:

Why do military people on J! often wear uniforms? They are not on duty. I have not seen police officers, nurses, etc. on J! wear their uniforms.

It's not a requirement, but it's something worn with pride. I never looked better in anything than I did in my dress uniform.  I imagine they wear them because they're proud of their service. There have been active duty personnel on Jeopardy who didn't wear their uniforms.

As to why other professions don't wear their uniforms, I don't know. Now I'm picturing a contestant in a fire fighter's uniform and laughing, so it would seem strange to me.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

I didn't get FJ either, although to be fair I wasn't paying much attention to the economy at that time (early college). More into keg parties, and such :-P

Which is why I didn't understand the full implications of Watergate.  I was majoring in Men and Beer at the time.  

Enron was an instaget, but being from Houston....

6 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Nurse's scrubs would be so comfortable ...

I'm a Rad/MRI tech...I live in scrubs.  When they're too funky to work in, they become pajamas.

I hope Manny stays for awhile.  I like the uniform.

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Great game!

Can someone explain to me why it irritates me when a contestant starts a category somewhere in the middle? Am I OCD or what?

No, it means you're normal.  That bugs a great many of us here.

• Love 12
29 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Nurse's scrubs would be so comfortable ...

I am switching positions in November and I will get to wear scrubs! I'm so excited. So comfy and so many pockets!

I couldn't come up with anything for FJ - I also only have a vague idea of what happened with Enron. Guess it was "before my time".

• Love 2
1 hour ago, teebax said:

Now I'm picturing a contestant in a fire fighter's uniform and laughing, so it would seem strange to me.

And a cop and a construction worker and a cowboy . . .  Every game would look like a Village People concert!

I work from home, so I'd have to wear my usual outfit of pajamas or a T-shirt and underwear.  I think I'd make my profession very proud.

No signal tonight--thanks, Dish.  It seems to love to drop out just for Jeopardy!  Sounds like I missed a pretty good game.

• Love 7
54 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

And a cop and a construction worker and a cowboy . . .  Every game would look like a Village People concert!

I work from home, so I'd have to wear my usual outfit of pajamas or a T-shirt and underwear.  I think I'd make my profession very proud.

No signal tonight--thanks, Dish.  It seems to love to drop out just for Jeopardy!  Sounds like I missed a pretty good game.

It was a great game.

I guess I'd technically wear my work clothes since I dress up to teach.

• Love 2

I thought Enron was a little too obvious (although I wasn't sure of the year), and I flirted with the answer of Arthur Andersen, but remembering that there was an MLB Enron Field and no Arthur Andersen Field made me switch back.

• Love 3