Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: The Spoils of War

• Start Topic

2 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

Yes. I am so glad the Lannisters lost in a big way. I know that this is not the full battle but still!

And it is war! What is Dany supposed to do if not use all her weapons, especially here. There were no civillains wandering around.

Yes, no civilians at all.  Except that that the Lannister army is formed by common people, called away from their homes to serve. Remember episode 1 and the six young men who broke bread with Arya. Those were the type of men that Dany burned, in droves. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 14

Definitely Dickon. And you can bet Jaime will remember his name. 

And how many actors get to run a lance at a dragon. He looked like a proper knight there.

Bronn has the luck of a bad man. Heh. I love him so I am cool with his survival.

• Love 6
Just now, stagmania said:

It played to me like Drogon was fine, just totally caught off guard by the spear. Probably the first time he's ever been hurt.

But what would he have done if Jaime had killed Dany? If Dany's dead, the dragons have no mother or master, they just fly off and do whatever (well, until they, too, talk to Bran and figure out that Jon is a Targaryen). Had Jaime managed to spear Dany right there, that ends the war.

• Love 3

Dany burned all the food - what is her army going to eat?

I am glad Jaime made it through, despite several very close calls.  Bronn is still the luckiest bastard around.

es, no civilians at all.  Except that that the Lannister army is formed by common people, called away from their homes to serve. Remember episode 1 and the six young men who broke bread with Arya. Those were the type of men that Dany burned, in droves. 

Yes, just because they wear the Lannister colors doesn't mean they deserve to die like this.  A high prize to pay to satisfy Dany's ambitions. Cersei needs to go but Dany is her fathers daughter alright.

Edited by magdalene
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

So Jamie's not dead, right?

He's sinking pretty deep in heavy plate.  Of course he's not dead but they practically had to bend space and dragonfire to save him and Bronn.

That whole scene was fucking mesmerizing.  I've literally slogged through almost 7 seasons and all the books waiting to see that.  What the fuck to you do against that?  

Dany should burn the Red Keep to the ground on her way home.  Just because she can.

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 16
1 minute ago, dbell1 said:

Santa always knew Arya was a tomboy. So, there is no way she's not proud of her sister for surviving, but she's also probably thinking about how they parted, and wondering how Arya got those mad skills.

And a shout out to Syrio Forell, the First Sword of Braavos.  "No One"!

I think the reference to "no one" was the faceless men.

• Love 21
4 minutes ago, SeanC said:

I believe the through-line is that she's alarmed by Arya's combat skills.  She didn't know anything about Arya's lessons with Syrion in S1, let alone everything that happened afterward.  She thinks the list is a joke at first.  Bran then says it's real, which she finds kind of disconcerting, and then she sees that Arya is a highly acrobatic swordswoman.  I think it's meant to highlight how much they've changed and no longer quite recognize each othe.

Yeah, but she did not look alarmed, shocked or in awe. She looked angry, annoyed or jealous - with some side glances at LF - as if she was nervous that LF would catch onto her jealousy. At least that's what the acting conveyed to me.

5 minutes ago, AGuyToo said:

Proud? I don't think Sansa looked proud at all when she saw what Arya could do and how Arya and Brienne interacted. She looked worried -- maybe jealous.

Yeah, she was definitely not pleased that Brienne was swearing her services to Arya as well.

• Love 4

Battle scene was amazing. Finally we got to see the Dothraki doing their thing, and it was amazing. Props to Matt Shakman, to all the stuntmen who pulled off those awesome riding stunts and allowed themselves to be set on fire for our entertainment, and to that one Lannister soldier extra who was literally shaking in his boots.

I may have actually flinched when Bran agreed that he didn't need Meera anymore. Ice cold.

Those men who just sacked Highgarden and stripped all the food from the Reach, and have been laying waste to the Riverlands and everywhere else for several years.

They attacked Highgarden without warning, just as they were attacked without warning. Meh.

Dany's line to Jon--"Isn't their survival more important than your pride?"--was a callback to Jon asking Mance the same question...or else D&D are just recycling dialogue.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 23
17 minutes ago, stagmania said:

The problem with Sansa being the main Stark getting to do all the reunion scenes is that she wasn't close to any of her siblings, so they don't really resonate much. The reunion with Jon was still the most affecting to me, but that was because it was the first, not because of their relationship. I'm holding out hope that Arya/Jon, if it ever comes, will be the one that inspires real feeling. 

That's kind of the point. They're holding the most poignant reunions for later. They continue having Sansa reunite with people because other than Arya, she didn't really have a show relationship with any of her siblings.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Oscirus said:

Except Bran already all but confirmed that Arya killed people earlier. 

He said she has a list, and that Cersei was on it, and that was why she was going to KL...but seeing Arya in action was the convincer that showed that Arya was perfectly capable of killing people, and probably HAD killed some of the people that she'd mentioned were dead on her list (a fact Bran didn't mention). It showed Arya as an adept killer, not a heartbroken girl on a hopelessly impossible mission (as Sansa might have previously pictured her as).

• Like 1
  • Love 22
14 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I find it really pathetic and honestly it takes away from my enjoyment of the show a bit. Instead of having Daenerys defeat Cersei, then take on the Night King. They are leaving Cersei for last because they are in love with Lena Headley.

They could have killed Cersei last season and my enjoyment of the show would be even higher than it is now.

• Love 23
6 minutes ago, AGuyToo said:

Proud? I don't think Sansa looked proud at all when she saw what Arya could do and how Arya and Brienne interacted. She looked worried -- maybe jealous.

Why would she be jealous ? concern I could see.

Sansa has never been about weapons, Arya since the beginning was good with weapons, and she knows of Needle and Syrio, her Dancing Master.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

It is war. I hate war, but this is what it is. In essence, these people have been drafted in a war not out shopping for the day. If it isn't war, they should have thought twice before raiding Highgarden and killing everyone in sight. Oh, they didn't have a choice. Well, unless Dany wants to keep losing, neither does she.

Who's this "they" you're talking about? The soldiers? They have little choice in the matter. They do what their houses tell them to do.  

What's Dany's purpose in this war? To reclaim some crown and throne to which she thinks she's entitled. She's George III's daughter coming to take back America in about 1800, screaming "It's mine! It's mine! It's mine!"

Edited by Francie
  • Like 1
  • Love 7

The battle scenes were well done but I was at a loss as to what I was supposed to be wanting to see there.  I'm not rooting for Cersei to continue to win, but I don't find the most special of special nuking nameless foot soldiers who march where they're told to march and what we've been told is the only major food supply as winter is setting in all that rootable either.  Good job self-declared queen, now you all can starve together.

I was wondering why Dany didn't have the Dothraki TAKE the food, it will be needed considering everything that's coming.

Worse for me, though he's fighting for Cersei, I kind of like Dickon. He doesn't seem like a BAD guy, he's just loyal to House Tarly, like pretty much every Highborn in Westeros being loyal to the advancement of their own House.  It also could be that I'm a big fan of Tom Hopper.  But in my fantasy ending, Dickon inherits the Reach, marries Sansa and "they live happily ever after."  I wouldn't bet a dime on it but it's fun to wish.

Bran, meh.

Arya, welcome home I guess.  But I was waiting for one of those soldiers to turn to the other and say "She doesn't even go here."

• Love 8

Another thing, why is Pod still incompetent with his sword? If he's been practicing with Brienne since season 5, he should be alot better then what we saw on screen. Either that or Brienne's a shit teacher.

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 14

The LF-Sansa plot continues to make no sense. Are LF and Sansa friends? Enemies? Mentor-mentee? Adviser? Why is she always walking around talking to him anyways? Where are all the Northern Lords? Is LF Sansa's new steward?

Sansa:  If they have not contributed enough grain to stores, they have to make do with what grain they bought.

Here's a suggestion Sansa, maybe you can ask LF to send in grain from the Vale?

Bran: LF gave me this dagger ; Sansa: Why did LF give you the dagger unless he wants something in return?

Here's a suggestion Sansa, maybe you can ask LF why he gave Bran the dagger? Then we can also know why.  Maybe get a couple of men to keep an eye on him so he is not walking around handing out daggers without your knowledge.  Do you know that LF is a dangerous, manipulative SOB Sansa?

Also wasn't  Sansa warning Jon about Cersei sending assassins to murder them or something? Why were those gate guards so useless?

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, Potanical Pardon said:

Bronn's going to be the first one to raise his hand to switch sides when Daenerys asks. Tyrion's there plus he knows he's not getting any more gold or castles the one way.

Yeah I picked up on that !

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Advance35 said:

I was wondering why Dany didn't have the Dothraki TAKE the food, it will be needed considering everything that's coming.

Would that really have been possible in such a melee?

• Love 8

I surprised myself by rooting hard for Bronn's death.  I know he's a fan favorite, and I find the character amusing and enjoy the actor.  But his lack of loyalty to anything other than money never sat well with me.  When he made light of an old woman's death (although I've never forgiven Olenna for setting up Sansa), I really turned sour on the character.  Then when Dany and the Lannisters collided, all I could think is that Bronn will betray Tyrion.  Topped off by the attempted assassination of Drogon/Dany, and I was cheering for his death.

And by the way, there's no way in hell Bronn would have risked himself for Jaime.  Not without a pre-arranged agreement, and gold in hand.

And second by the way, other than the glorious outing of Olenna's part in Joffrey's death, why even kill Olenna?  Balon Greyjoy wasn't killed after his rebellion.  Olenna was an old lady with a conquered army.  They would have stripped her of all her money and food anyway.  I didn't care for Jaime's part in administering the poison, either. 

So presumably, Jaime and Bronn will be POWs.  I really, really dread any interaction between Bronn and Tyrion. 

• Love 18
7 minutes ago, Minneapple said:

But what would he have done if Jaime had killed Dany? If Dany's dead, the dragons have no mother or master, they just fly off and do whatever (well, until they, too, talk to Bran and figure out that Jon is a Targaryen). Had Jaime managed to spear Dany right there, that ends the war.

...I'm confused about what this has to do with Drogon's current condition, which is what I was talking about.

5 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

The Greek Chorus is a time-honored dramatic tradition.  And in a way Tyrion stands in for us the viewers --or at least for me  -- in that I wanted Dany's forces to win the battle but I didn't want Jaime to die.

I just found it distracting because it didn't make sense that he was there.

2 minutes ago, benteen said:

I would argue the fact that Sansa and Arya would not close and had the relationship they had is the reason it was so fascinating to finally see them reunite.  It worked for me.

Yeah, I'm not saying it wasn't interesting. Just didn't really hit me emotionally. 

• Love 1

Bronn/Tyrion, season 1:  "Bronn, son of ...." / "You wouldn't know him."

Jaime/Bronn, season 7:  "Bronn of the Blackwater, from whatever nameless shit heap you're from."

His last name is gonna be something pertinent. Blackfyre. Or Casterly. 

I can't decide if he's going to wind up with the Twins, becuse of some joke Tyrion makes about giving him Twins to reward him, or if he's going to wind up with Casterly Rock. Mark it now, it'll be one of those two. 

• Love 15

What an amazing episode! 

The Winterfell scenes were great! I loved how Sansa was ready to completely dismiss the accounts of Arya's return until the names of former residents were name dropped. Going straight to Ned's tomb was such an Arya thing to do and reminds us of a simpler time when she was a daddy's girl. The whole "haha you're joking" to "Oh shit, who else is on your list?" Transition will never not be funny! Arya has mad skills and even Brienne is beginning to acknowledge it.

The Jon and Dany scenes were a delight! Personally, I am not in favour of them getting together due to the incest involved, but I could definitely see it happening. I really wouldn't be surprised if someone proposes they marry as a way of resolving the "bend the knee" crisis. It would allow for the northerners to acknowledge Dany as their queen without forcing Jon to submit in the process. Although it does leave the question of; how will they react when the news of Jon's ancestry is revealed. It wouldn't be an issue for Daenary's, as she grew up expecting to marry Visery's, but would Jon be able to cope with being married to his aunt?

The battle was positively amazing! The CGI was A+, seeing the Lannisters suffer such a devastating defeat was emotionally satisfying! My only complaint is this; why the hell cant Jamie (and as of this episode) Bronn be dead already? My guess is someone, probably stupid Bronn, will rescue Jamie. I really hope Drogon isn't going to wind up dying, but it would certainly be a way of highlighting the dragons aren't invincible. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, anamika said:

Here's a suggestion Sansa, maybe you can ask LF to send in grain from the Vale?

Why is LF even three?  NOBODY trusts him, everybody think's he up to something, and yet he gets a one-on-one with the presumptive Lord of Winterfell?  I could see not wanting him completely out of sight, maybe, but giving him the liberty of the castle also makes him party to all your secrets.  He's a snake - put him in a box. 

• Love 6

Wow! I liked everything.

I clapped when Dany and Drogon showed up and burned that first group of people. Then of course I felt bad that all the soldiers were burning like that. It's funny I definitely wanted Dany to win but the two characters I am most invested in that moment we're Jaime and Bronn.

The Jon Dani stuff was great. I love when the show brings stuff back. Jon is Mance right now. I liked that she took his advise and used her dragons in a less kill innocents type of way. I know taking the Red Keep and King's Landing with the dragons would be a quick way to end but I'm not sure if it is the best for the long run and the image she is trying to convey. (This is not The Masters type of situation).

The Winterfell stuff was nice.  I am enjoying that Littlefinger can't seem to make headway with any of the Stark except Sansa. I am not sure what to think of Sansa. At one point I thought she seemed upset at Arya because Bran seemed to have more of a reaction to her (and gave her a knife) and Brienne was having fun with her. Probably just overthinking it and the taint of Litlefinger standing next to her making me feel suspicious.

Jon Theon was great. We don't get to see rage Jon a lot. 

Davos as always is awesome. 

• Love 7
Just now, Constantinople said:

Even Jon seems focused on the 1%.  I doubt most people would care about the Red Keep being torched than the commoners who make up the Lannister army

Jon's not focused on anything other than the white walkers.  Risking dragons on a war he doesn't give a damn about  doesn't help him out at all.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, stagmania said:

What a sad end to her sad arc. #JusticeForMeera

+ 10, Sansa should had interacted, but the writers didn't think so, and 2 seasons in Sansa has not visit Lady's grave.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, SeanC said:

She walked away because the scene was over.

Those men who just sacked Highgarden and stripped all the food from the Reach, and have been laying waste to the Riverlands and everywhere else for several years.

Ah, but Daenerys claims to be better than them. And just as Jon Snow cautioned, she's shown herself to be no different. 

And it was less than 100 food wagons. Certainly not all the food from the Reach was stripped.  Enough was taken to feed King's Landing. 

• Love 3
Just now, Francie said:

And it was less than 100 food wagons. Certainly not all the food from the Reach was stripped.  Enough was taken to feed King's Landing. 

That wasn't what the dialogue indicated.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Ho-Ly fuckballs! I legit thought that Bronn would take out Drogon and then that Drogon would take out Jamie. My favorite scenes were Winterfell. The two reunions and then Arya sparring with Brienne were great. Though Arya smiling and cracking jokes had me worried they were about to get attacked. 

This season is killing me. I love it. 

The reunions are coming so fast and furious they are losing their impact.  I cried when Sansa and Jon reunited.  I teared up with Sansa and Bran.  I was pleased by Sansa and Arya's reunion, but Arya's subdued response kind of ruined it.  I felt nothing with Arya and Bran, and that killed me.  Between Arya's minimal emotion, and Bran's lack thereof, it lost all impact.  At least for me.  They better not disappoint when Jon shows up. 

And I hope we see Meera once again.  She deserves better than Bran gave her.

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, anamika said:

So? Those young men just killed Highgarden soldiers and looted and ransacked the Reach. What, Dany is supposed to throw them a party? To hell with that nonsense. This is war. Soldiers are fair game.

I sort of wished she would have made an attempt to save the food though. I don't see how though.

• Love 1

I do have one question though.  How did the Dothraki get to the battlefield?  Didn't Dany lose almost all her ships in the two battles with Euron?  That was a hellofalotta men & horses to fit on the two ships we've seen limp back to Dragonstone.

Okay, I'll fan-wank that they split the fleet in three (1/3 to carry the Unsullied to Casterly Rock, 1/3 to carry the Sand Snakes to Dorne and 1/3rd to stay at Dragonstone) but they really should have made that clear.

2 minutes ago, Francie said:

Ah, but Daenerys claims to be better than them. And just as Jon Snow cautioned, she's shown herself to be no different. 

If Jon Snow had access to a dragon last season he would have used to roast the Bolton army.  

• Love 19