Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E04: The Spoils of War

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, mojoween said:

With everything that happened, I can still appreciate the smaller moments like Father Tarley's disappointment that he couldn't flog anyone.

Roose Bolton has risen from the grave.

Fantastic.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, SeanC said:

That wasn't what the dialogue indicated.

Fair enough. I re-watched and they spoke of collecting the harvest from all the farms of the reach.  Jaime is taking it as spoils. 

And now Dany has burned it all. 

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Dany's line to Jon--"Isn't their survival more important than your pride?"--was a callback to Jon asking Mance the same question...or else D&D are just recycling dialogue.

Jon's expression after she said that indicated that it was dawning on him how he was now in Mance's position - bend the knee to save his people.

7 minutes ago, henripootel said:

Why is LF even three?  NOBODY trusts him, everybody think's he up to something, and yet he gets a one-on-one with the presumptive Lord of Winterfell?  I could see not wanting him completely out of sight, maybe, but giving him the liberty of the castle also makes him party to all your secrets.  He's a snake - put him in a box. 

Pretty much. His only connection to the plot is the Vale and it's frustrating that they don't ever bring that up. In this scene, they were talking about how there was not enough food - then ask LF to bring the food from the Vale - give us a reason for why he is there dammit! Sansa being surprised that LF is having conversations with Bran?! Like why? Unless she is a moron, she should know how duplicitous and manipulative he is and keep him under observation.

2 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I sort of wished she would have made an attempt to save the food though. I don't see how though.

According to the script for the episode, those food laden wagons were moving towards KL while she attacked. The Lannisters were trying to get the food in before Dany could get to it. And once they were inside KL, Cersei would get the food along with the gold. I think the intent behind Dany burning them was to prevent them from getting inside KL

Edited by anamika
  • Love 5

YOU GUYS! Jaime is still alive for the next episode. I know this because Bran is still alive and Jaime fell into the water the same way Bran fell out of the tower when Jaime pushed him.

totally bonkers episode, I absolutely loved it! 

Edited by Paws
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

I sort of wished she would have made an attempt to save the food though. I don't see how though.

Yeah right.

She had plenty of support to get and protect that stuff.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

I do have one question though.  How did the Dothraki get to the battlefield?  Didn't Dany lose almost all her ships in the two battles with Euron?  That was a hellofalotta men & horses to fit on the two ships we've seen limp back to Dragonstone.

Okay, I'll fan-wank that they split the fleet in three (1/3 to carry the Unsullied to Casterly Rock, 1/3 to carry the Sand Snakes to Dorne and 1/3rd to stay at Dragonstone) but they really should have made that clear.

They did, Tyrion told her they still had enough of a fleet to get the dothraki to the main land.

• Love 3
Just now, WatchrTina said:

I do have one question though.  How did the Dothraki get to the battlefield?  Didn't Dany lose almost all her ships in the two battles with Euron?  That was a hellofalotta men & horses to fit on the two ships we've seen limp back to Dragonstone.

Okay, I'll fan-wank that they split the fleet in three (1/3 to carry the Unsullied to Casterly Rock, 1/3 to carry the Sand Snakes to Dorne and 1/3rd to stay at Dragonstone) but they really should have made that clear.

Tyrion said they still had enough ships.

Which makes sense.  Dany had enough ships to move the Dothraki and the Unsullied to Westeros.  The Unsullied ships were lost, and some of the other ships were lost when they were sent for Dorne's army, but there should be others left over.

• Love 5
23 hours ago, stagmania said:

It played to me like Drogon was fine, just totally caught off guard by the spear. Probably the first time he's ever been hurt.

Drogon's been speared before -- in the arena in Mereen.  He didn't like that one either.  And he needed a long rest to recuperate afterward.  Has Dany ever flown the other two?  If she has, we haven't seen it.  In the book, the dragons bond with one (and only one) rider.  Dany of course is special -- she hatched all three so maybe she can ride all of them.  But what I would LOVE would be the accidental discovery that Jon can ride one of them -- preferably the one named after his father.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 20
5 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

I want to thank whoever was the one that posted that the Dothrakis are like the Apaches? of the old west.  Their style of fighting on horseback is so fast they won battles against US forces.

And there was a lot of Old-West feeling (old movies that is) in that battle scene.  The covered wagons, the scenery (looking like Arches National Park in Utah), and the Dothrakis standing in for the Apaches.

GRRM must know the west history some what well, living in NM, and next to AZ.

• Love 5

"No one."

Best line of the night.  

I think Sansa is unsettled with Arya and her list.  Not that she's not happy to see her sister, but she knows, and I'm sure Arya does as well, that despite any reunion there are still separations between them, due to their experiences.  Ultimately though the fact that they are Starks (well and then some in Jon's case) will still bind them together. 

LF looked like he peed his pants when Bran echoed his words back to him.  The ice underneath him is getting thinner, and he knows it.  

That battle...that was something else.  For me this is one of the best episodes of the entire series, and I am going to enjoy watching it multiple times.  Dany is getting her groove back, and being what Olenna told her to be, a dragon.  She was on a battlefield, she wasn't firing up and killing the small folk in KL...this was the best way for her to flex her muscle and show that she is the conqueror they have heard of.  And the dothraki of course, they were pretty epic.  

Just as an aside, I have to give there sound people a lot of props for this.  I don't know if anyone else noticed...but there was a definite sound approach there even before the show characters acknowledged it.  Both my mini me and I heard it, and then played it back so we could try and pick it up again and it's there, just so faintly while Bronn and Jaimie are having their conversation.  I'll have to see if I can get a time mark on it when I first hear it.  But hell yeah, thanks sound department, you did a fantastic job.  

I can't wait to watch this again...and again...and again.

• Love 22

The battle took place on the approaches to King's Landing. Strategically, it makes more sense to deprive your enemy of stores of food they were counting on to survive a siege, so what Dany did made complete military sense.

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 21
26 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

And a shout out to Syrio Forell, the First Sword of Braavos.  "No One"!

Actually that was a shout-out to the house of Black & White and Jaquen H'gar and Arya training to become "no one.".  Syria's slogan was "Not today!"

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Francie said:

And now Dany has burned it all. 

I kinda thought that this was the gold they were sending to the Iron Bank.  Much of the stuff went into King's Landing but I thought this was bound for shipment.  Which may mean that there's a good deal of melted gold to pick up from the ashes of the wagon train.

4 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

I do have one question though.  How did the Dothraki get to the battlefield?

They've been playing fast and loose with travel times.  It seemed to me that that Dany got the army to King's Landing in about the same amount of time it took Jamie to bring back the spoils of High Garden.  Heavily laden wagons don't make great time - why didn't they take the gold by boat?

In the time it must have taken all this to set up, Dany could have been flying re-con and single-handedly burned the strung out Lannister army to cinders.  3 dragons flying up and down the line woulda made the High Garden road into a ashy graveyard.  I mean it was cool to see the Dothraki engage but they could have handled this all on their own - foot soldiers with no time to set up any sort of fortification or decent formation, this is what all cavalry guys dream about.  Dany should have been flying high-level recon this whole time. 

• Love 2
Just now, henripootel said:

I kinda thought that this was the gold they were sending to the Iron Bank.  Much of the stuff went into King's Landing but I thought this was bound for shipment.  Which may mean that there's a good deal of melted gold to pick up from the ashes of the wagon train.

They've been playing fast and loose with travel times.  It seemed to me that that Dany got the army to King's Landing in about the same amount of time it took Jamie to bring back the spoils of High Garden.  Heavily laden wagons don't make great time - why didn't they take the gold by boat?

In the time it must have taken all this to set up, Dany could have been flying re-con and single-handedly burned the strung out Lannister army to cinders.  3 dragons flying up and down the line woulda made the High Garden road into a ashy graveyard.  I mean it was cool to see the Dothraki engage but they could have handled this all on their own - foot soldiers with no time to set up any sort of fortification or decent formation, this is what all cavalry guys dream about.  Dany should have been flying high-level recon this whole time. 

Tarly said that the gold had made it to King's Landing. It was the food trains that Dany burned up. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

I want to thank whoever was the one that posted that the Dothrakis are like the Apaches? of the old west.  Their style of fighting on horseback is so fast they won battles against US forces.

And there was a lot of Old-West feeling (old movies that is) in that battle scene.  The covered wagons, the scenery (looking like Arches National Park in Utah), and the Dothrakis standing in for the Apaches.

The Dothrakis are more like the Mongols than Apaches. The Mongols were expert horsemen who used scimitars, bow and arrows, and spears.

• Love 13

Regarding food: I have been telling myself that they were stripping the fields to send more, but they didn't wait for it. That caravan was a first shipment, along with the gold that they were to use to pay the Iron Bank. Which they can no longer do. So, Golden Company was a fanwink, but Cersei no longer has the gold to pay them. 

Prediction: Arya will use the VS dagger to kill Cersei. And also to protect herself in the battle with the White Walkers, probably. 

2 minutes ago, henripootel said:

I think we were explicitly told that the gold made it back to KL. On those swift covered wagons that move like the wind...yeah, I know, just go with it.

As for why they didn't take it by boat, I'd guess Jaime didn't trust Euron to deliver it and not keep it.

Edited by screamin
  • Love 9
9 minutes ago, anamika said:

Pretty much. His only connection to the plot is the Vale and it's frustrating that they don't ever bring that up. In this scene, they were talking about how there was not enough food - then ask LF to bring the food from the Vale - give us a reason for why he is there dammit! Sansa being surprised that LF is having conversations with Bran?! Like why? Unless she is a moron, she should know how duplicitous and manipulative he is and keep him under observation.

I don't think it's the meeting, it's the dagger. As far as the Vale, they need her at least ( for us to  see ) meet Lord Royce, then they could get a way with off screen stuff.

22 hours ago, Advance35 said:

in my fantasy ending, Dickon inherits the Reach, marries Sansa and "they live happily ever after."

From your mouth to the gods' ears.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

Sansa always knew Arya was a tomboy. So, there is no way she's not proud of her sister for surviving, but she's also probably thinking about how they parted, and wondering how Arya got those mad skills.

Edited because the Many Faced God will damn me because I confused him with Syrio. 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

why even kill Olenna?  Balon Greyjoy wasn't killed after his rebellion.

Because they promised the Reach to Sam's father so they needed to kill off house Tyrell, root and stem.  Also Cersie is big on vengeance so the kindest thing Jaime could do was to give Olenna a quick, painless death. Which he now, no doubt, regrets.

• Love 2

I know I should look this up--but if Maisie does her own fighting in her scenes and there is not a stunt double, damn but she moves beautifully!  She truly moves like a dancer.  That sparring scene with Brienne was terrific.

I hope Meera survives whatever is coming.  The young actress is very appealing and I always enjoyed her scenes, even though most of her scenes were very sad.

Wish Bronn had been killed.  I am tired of his shtick.  Hate to see the dragons get attacked.  Dany...you go girl!

• Love 16
56 minutes ago, screamin said:

Kind of annoyingly ridiculous that all that heavy gold in slow wagons made it all the way to King's Landing before the swift-footed Dothraki and the freakin' flying dragon managed to catch up to the Lannister army...

I thought the point of Jaime's early conversation with Bronn about his motivation techniques was to establish that the gold was in the lead wagons because it didn't take long to sack Highgarden, while the remaining supplies had to be gathered from the surrounding farms, and thus set out later for the capital.

52 minutes ago, anamika said:

Wait, no one remembers what Ned looks like in the North? How long has it been since Ned went south?

It's been years now, judging by the ages of the young characters. (And as far as I'm concerned that's the most meaningful measure, since it's rooted in who the characters are and not in, say, adding up a bunch of time references that even the writers probably didn't pay much attention to.) Plus everyone who stayed behind at Winterfell got killed or displaced when Ramsay sacked the place, so it doesn't seem improbable to me that it'd be hard to find a skilled sculptor who'd seen Ned's face.

Anyway, given how much I've been bitching about wonky time references this season, both of the above responses give a sense of why I thought this was far and away the best episode of the year so far. It had a sense of time and distance that previous episodes have lacked, while still retaining the political and interpersonal focus that've been the strongest element of the earlier eps.

But as usual, the one thing that gives me most pause is not this episode's story itself but how it opens up potential pitfalls for future episodes. The big one here is all the talk about the catspaw's dagger and where it came from. It seems like such a weird thing to bring up after all these years if they're ultimately going to reveal that Joffrey gave the dagger to the assassin like in the books. It seems more likely that we're going to discover that Littlefinger himself sent the assassin, and it's very hard for me to conceive of a way in which that makes any sense at all. Like . . . Littlefinger is all the way down in the capital when Bran has his accident, and he has no way of knowing that the Lannisters were at all involved. So if we're meant to believe that he somehow dispatched a rider all the way to Winterfell with his own personal dagger in order to frame someone for what everyone at the time thought was an accident . . . well, they're gonna have to do some fancy 'splainin' indeed.

Edited by Dev F
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, screamin said:

On those swift covered wagons that move like the wind...yeah, I know, just go with it.

I'm still sore that Euron managed to sneak up on a fleet in the middle of the goddamn ocean.  Even in WWII (with modern equipment and planes and such), it was difficult to know where the enemy fleet even was - it's a goddamn sea they're traveling through, albeit a 'Narrow' one.  The thought of anybody being able to do this in the age of sail more than beggar's belief.  

But then Jamie was able to take High Garden without Dany (or Varys) even finding out.  And didn't make the assumption that when Dany did find out, that she wouldn't immediately attack the somewhat-undefended King's Landing.  It was a 'bold move' only because it made no fucking sense.  Dany should have attacked instantly, starting with dragon-fire.  The whole 'that'd make you as bad as them' thing was Buuuh-huh-hullll Shit. 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

So . . . who do we think went into the water with Jaime?  I’m betting Dickon.  Bronn is all about self-preservation but Dickon seems to be one of those people who rises to a challenge and finds courage under fire. 

One of Dany's.  Jaime is more valuable taken alive. 

ETA:

781.png

• Love 11
8 minutes ago, Tippi said:

if Maisie does her own fighting in her scenes and there is not a stunt double, damn but she moves beautifully!

It looked to me like she did about half of it but that's still very impressive, especially when you consider that she's fighting left-handed like Arya in the book and Maisie is not left-handed.

• Love 8
9 minutes ago, Dev F said:

I thought the point of Jaime's early conversation with Bronn about his motivation techniques was to establish that the gold was in the lead wagons because it didn't take long to sack Highgarden, while the remaining supplies had to be gathered from the surrounding farms, and thus set out later for the capital.

Still, looking on a map, Highgarden's a LONG way from KL. They should have gotten ravens from Highgarden and Casterly Rock about the screwups there. That they couldn't muster enough forces to go quickly enough to intercept some covered wagons that have to nearly cross the continent to get to KL, when Dragonstone is a lot closer to KL than Highgarden is, and even though Dany commands the best cavalry in that universe AND has freakin' flying dragons - it just beggars belief.

Edited by screamin
  • Love 2

I do have one question though.  How did the Dothraki get to the battlefield?

Well, there's this Tardis....

I can so see both the Apache/Mongol references with the Dothraki.  If John Ford was alive  and given our standards today, I can totally see his imprint on this, so kudos to Matt Shakman.  Bit of Boetticher too.  I watch way too much TCM.

Edited by CherryMalotte
tenses and good grammar are a thing of beauty...
  • Love 7
31 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Tyrion said that they had enough ships to take the Dothraki to the mainland, but that would have to be hundreds of ships to take them and their horses. 

5 minutes ago, Dev F said:

It's been years now, judging by the ages of the young characters. (And as far as I'm concerned that's the most meaningful measure, since it's rooted in who the characters are and not in, say, adding up a bunch of time references that even the writers probably didn't pay much attention to.) Plus everyone who stayed behind at Winterfell got killed or displaced when Ramsay sacked the place, so it doesn't seem improbable to me that it'd be hard to find a skilled sculptor who'd seen Ned's face.

Anyway, given how much I've been bitching about wonky time references this season, both of the above responses give a sense of why I thought this was far and away the best episode of the year so far. It had a sense of time and distance that previous episodes have lacked, while still retaining the political and interpersonal focus that've been the strongest element of the earlier eps.

But as usual, the one thing that gives me most pause is not this episode's story itself but how it opens up potential pitfalls for future episodes. The big one here is all the talk about the catspaw's dagger and where it came from. It seems like such a weird thing to bring up after all these years if they're ultimately going to reveal that Joffrey gave the dagger to the assassin like in the books. It seems more likely that we're going to discover that Littlefinger himself sent the assassin, and it's very hard for me to conceive of a way in which that makes any sense at all. Like . . . Littlefinger is all the way down in the capital when Bran has his accident, and he has no way of knowing that the Lannisters were at all involved. So if we're meant to believe that he somehow dispatched a rider all the way to Winterfell with his own personal dagger in order to frame someone for what everyone at the time thought was an accident . . . well, they're gonna have to do some fancy 'splainin' indeed.

Littlefinger giving Bran the dagger was so curious.  I think it does make it an open question as to who sent the assassin. Jaime and Tyrion both concluded that it was Joffrey, as all other candidates seemed to be ruled out.  But the rationale was always a bit weak -- Joffrey sending him because of something his father said, offhandedly. And there was never 100% confirmation it was him, and I think George is writing this in a manner where we have no dangling mysteries on matters such as that. 

And then there was Littlefinger's odd comment about someone being rich who sent it. 

I don't think it was Littlefinger, though. 

Bran knows past events, so he likely already knows who sent it.  And he was testing Littlefinger, to see if he knew. 

My best guess at this point was that it was Bran, himself. He's setting all these things in motion. And he needed his mother to go and start the War of the 5 Kings. 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, WatchrTina said:

So . . . who do we think went into the water with Jaime?  I’m betting Dickon.  Bronn is all about self-preservation but Dickon seems to be one of those people who rises to a challenge and finds courage under fire. 

Bronn.  I don't think it was meant to be a mystery.  Last shot of Bronn before Jamie went into the water was Bronn looking at a rider less white horse.  Then someone on a white horse pushes Jamie out of the way and goes in the water with him.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, Francie said:

Littlefinger giving Bran the dagger was so curious.  I think it does make it an open question as to who sent the assassin.

I think whoever speculated that in the show LF was setting things in motion is spot on.  The scene felt a bit like LF was bragging.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I think the reference to "no one" was the faceless men.

Still, I thought I saw more than a little of the water dancer in there.  Seemed like she gave him the short shrift there, he got her started at least.

I thought that after Jon's talk about burning castles, Daenerys was going to kill the soldiers and liberate all that food they had taken as tax, and given it back to the people to win them over.  But instead, she burned up their supply line.

That battle was awesome, but I couldn't enjoy it because I was expecting the dragon to get killed.  And I did NOT want to see that.  It appears he might survive it though, hopefully.  It seemed wrong that it would have come at Bronn's hands, who used to be Tyrion's closest ally.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Francie said:

Littlefinger giving Bran the dagger was so curious.  I think it does make it an open question as to who sent the assassin. Jaime and Tyrion both concluded that it was Joffrey, as all other candidates seemed to be ruled out.  But the rationale was always a bit weak -- Joffrey sending him because of something his father said, offhandedly. And there was never 100% confirmation it was him, and I think George is writing this in a manner where we have no dangling mysteries on matters such as that. 

And then there was Littlefinger's odd comment about someone being rich who sent it. 

I don't think it was Littlefinger, though. 

Bran knows past events, so he likely already knows who sent it.  And he was testing Littlefinger, to see if he knew. 

My best guess at this point was that it was Bran, himself. He's setting all these things in motion. And he needed his mother to go and start the War of the 5 Kings. 

Probably is Littlefinger, he just lied to Bran about owning the dagger.  No real reason to do that.

Wow that was so good. I was yelling no no no at Bronn when he was shooting at the dragons. I like him but I would have preferred him dying over a dragon. But I am disapponted that Jamie didn't get flamed! There's still time...

that Arya Brienne scene was also unbelievable. I enjoy the hell outta bad ass women. 

• Love 9

the VS dagger appears for the first time since Season 1

I don't know what "VS" stands for....reminding us it that it is Valyrian steel"

Hee. Yup.

as for Tyrion, Tyrion adores Jaime. Always has, always will. It's not mercenary of him -- Jaime was the only family member to ever show him affection. Of course that bond is going to override his fealty to Jon or Dany.

It might. Or Tyrion might finally realize the family you make can be worth more loyalty than the family you're born into. And being grateful to the person who doesn't kick you but only starves you isn't the same thing as family.

Edited by MichaelaRae
  • Love 6

The show is in love with Cersei because Lena Headey is one of the better actors remaining. Cersei is a great, great character and is considerably more interesting than Dany or Jon.  She's not good, but she is fun to watch. 

I do find it hilarious in an episode Jon Snow talks about Dany's good heart, she roasts people alive and also burns the food, which is worse for the realm. Winter is coming, etc. I'm not saying Dany shouldn't have or that that scene wasn't awesome, but it was hilarious to me. Tyrion looked properly disturbed. I also think Dickon's "I hunted with those men" speech about killing men at Highgarden was to reflect on Tyrion. 

Bronn laughing at Dickon's name- I rewound that four times to re-watch it. Also "Fancy lad school." It was a hard choice- I like the dragon and I like Bronn. Hopefully both live and go for a drink later. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 24
52 minutes ago, Macbeth said:

Roose Bolton has risen from the grave.

Fantastic.

I'm getting major Roose Bolton vibes from Tarley. Like "My, you are unpleasant to be around." looks. It reminds me of Robb's looks at Bolton when he talked about flaying Lannisters.  I think he said that before he was even named as Roose Bolton. 

Edited by Pogojoco
  • Love 6

Wooow, this episode was great.  So many things happened.

The best thing about this season being shorter is they're not needlessly stretching plot lines out.  If this were any other season, it was have taken probably till the final episode to have not only have Arya finally come home, but have all 3 Starks reunite with each other.  It's so surreal to see them all together again.  I'll have to re-watch their scenes.

I'm still so mad at what they've done to Bran's character.  Basically murder him as Meera said.  I get he has to be changed somewhat, but come on, the last three eyed raven wasn't so emotionless.  Bran's acting colder than when Sam from Supernatural lost his soul.  I'm only praying that since they've literally pointed out how cold he is, that the old Bran will hopefully, somewhat come back - please.

Every time Jon and Dany are on the screen it's a good time.  I love their interactions with each other.  I have to say though, I'm probably in the minority that DOESN'T want them to be romantic with each other.  I get it's Game of Thrones and the Targaryens are known for incest, but ugh, I can't cannot get behind that.  Besides, Jon was raised as a Stark and I don't really see him going for it once he knows they're related..  Eh, idk, it'll probably happen, but I really wish it wouldn't.

The battle at the end was marvelous and breathtaking.  Glad to see the other side suffer some losses.  Although, the whole time I kept screaming at Dany to retreat with her dragon after the first couple displays of firepower.  I think Drogon will be ok in the long run, but geez, she was cutting it close there.  Was it just me, or did it almost seem like she stuck around more than necessary?  She kept firing at them when it was apparent they were gonna lose.... more of the Mad Queen coming out, Dany?

• Love 10