Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1 Discussion

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Meowwww said:

We have Dish.  It failed to record a bunch of stuff that was in timers.  The timers disappeared.  So frustrating 

Plus, TLC and Dish don't play well together for watching online. I have TLC and still can't watch it online....Dish isn't listed as one of the providers.   >:-{

• Love 1

Really, Paul? You creepy jerk. A pregnancy test and an STD test for a woman (girl -- I still think she's 14) you just met but are sure you "love"? When you still haven't told her your "big bad secret"? You're lucky she didn't punch you in the mouth. Or somewhere else.

• Love 15
3 minutes ago, Bubbacat said:

Really, Paul? You creepy jerk. A pregnancy test and an STD test for a woman (girl -- I still think she's 14) you just met but are sure you "love"? When you still haven't told her your "big bad secret"? You're lucky she didn't punch you in the mouth. Or somewhere else.

Fair is fair in terms of Karine asking him for an STD test.

• Love 9

When Karine’s father said that he couldn’t believe an American was going to give his poverty- stricken daughter a better life, it brought tears to my eyes.  As a parent, I just can’t fathom turning over my beautiful 19-year old daughter to a creeper like Paul. Given that the father was supposedly in law enforcement, I don’t understand why their standard of living isn’t higher. 

While Abby’s Dad was quick to give his blessing, I sensed some hesitation on her mother’s part.  Based on her comments, I can’t help but wonder how many potential mates Abby has brought home. 

• Love 8

Any guesses on what Myriam's big secret?

I almost feel like this show should be two hours. Tonight we had no Darcey/Jesse or idiot Cortney.

Watching this episode and the marathon this afternoon, I still can't quite wrap my head around all the couples "falling in love" without ever having met. And they always have some generalities about why they love the person - Abby is amazing! Myriam is the most generous caring person! How can you tell? You're talking to each other, you're not really participating in each other's lives or seeing how the other treats people in real life.

• Love 12

Larry, "I never traveled out f the country in my whole life."  You don't say...

He actually doesn't seem like a creep to me (so far) and seems kind of sweet. I feel for his sons though. It's sad that children have to worry for their parents emotional well being like that. Poor kids. 

• Love 14
2 hours ago, kacesq said:

Larry is bringing his lady a blue emerald. I just can't with these people. But this is my new favorite show.

Bahahahaha I had the same reaction when he showed his sons the "blue emerald"

It's a sad state when people's children have better sense than they do. Even the younger son said, "2 months and you want to get MARRIED??" 

I can't even.

• Love 12

I dont think that Larry is dumb, I just think that he is a simple guy and seems to have grown up from a lower socioeconomic level. I'm not sure, maybe its the fact that he became a dad at 19 with one woman and then had a kid a couple years later with another; the wifebeater; the fact that he and his sons look like 3 brothers, maybe; or just the style of his speech. I dont think Jenny's age is a big deal and he looks pretty young himself as well. 

Abby still comes across as a well to do Haitian. She mentioned she is in university so I assume that she is not from the most impoverished class; plus, her beautiful straight white teeth; the way she always dresses very classy and put together; her English skills. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Gigglepuff said:

Larry, "I never traveled out f the country in my whole life."  You don't say...

He actually doesn't seem like a creep to me (so far) and seems kind of sweet. I feel for his sons though. It's sad that children have to worry for their parents emotional well being like that. Poor kids. 

I feel bad for Larry's youngest son.  He looked so sad hearing his dad was chasing yet another woman. Larry, please stay home and father your son. When he is an adult then you can chase the woman around the world.  

• Love 15

I was kind of hoping  Paul and his penis protector (laughing out loud as I type that!) would run into a big old  anaconda out there in the river. WHAT a doofus !! No WONDER he had to go to a foreign country to find a girlfriend. I think Danielle might be available.

• Love 15

I'm rooting for Patrick and Myriam. They're cute together (so far) and I'm betting that whatever she tells him isn't that bad, and even if it was he's smitten and would probably be like "NO WORRIES" before she was even done explaining.

Paul continues to be a weird little man who only gets weirder. This episode confirms why he needed to go across the world to find a woman. He keeps saying he's had bad relationships but come on, how many has he really had. I believe nothing he says about past girlfriends and whatnot. Bullshit meter going off at 100. Dude has zero experience with anything.

Abbey's look of utter despair after her night with Super Creep was sad and hilarious all at the same time. It's like she just realized that not only does she need to marry this guy, but he's not even decent in bed. She could close her eyes and pretend he's someone else if was at least good at what he was doing. No such luck. I feel for her, orgasms are not included in this package.

• Love 14

Do McDonald's managers make a lot of money? I'm curious as to how he is able to afford traveling to another country. Since it looks like he lives in a nice area,has a house,utilities, & other bills?,food,etc etc and I'm assuming child support? He said he was lonely & I couldn't help but wonder if McDonald's job & the fact that he has kids was a turn off for women. Maybe I'm nosey & rude for thinking A McDonald's manager would live paycheck to paycheck.

I have a few idea's on what Myriam's "secret" could be. 

Guess #1 she has a child. #2 her family/friends have no idea who Patrick is. #3 she won't move to America.

But knowing TLC it's probably something small & they just want to create this dramatic anticipation 

Edited by Hellohappylife
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Matias130 said:

Abby still comes across as a well to do Haitian. She mentioned she is in university so I assume that she is not from the most impoverished class; plus, her beautiful straight white teeth; the way she always dresses very classy and put together; her English skills. 

In the first episode I got the impression that Chris paid for her schooling. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Mercolleen said:

Patrick's mom's "What if she's a man?" cackle and counter pounding is my favorite moment of this series so far. 

That was the best moment for me also. But Paul's foray into the river was loaded with LOLs. The penis protector. Faded out old life vest from 1984. The footie pajama pants that filled up with water. And Poop Water! 

Poor Abby. I could tell she was stuck with a guy who is clueless in bed and she is still pondering her decisions because of that. Ol' Chris must have had it going on, but wouldn't commit. 

Patrick seems to have picked a fairly normal partner. Until we find out the secret. My first thought is that she has a child. 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, Hellohappylife said:

Do McDonald's managers make a lot of money? I'm curious as to how he is able to afford traveling to another country. Since it looks like he lives in a nice area,has a house,utilities, & other bills?,food,etc etc and I'm assuming child support? He said he was lonely & I couldn't help but wonder if McDonald's job & the fact that he has kids was a turn off for women. Maybe I'm nosey & rude for thinking A McDonald's manager would live paycheck to paycheck.

I have a few idea's on what Myriam's "secret" could be. 

Guess #1 she has a child. #2 her family/friends have no idea who Patrick is. #3 she won't move to America.

But knowing TLC it's probably something small & they just want to create this dramatic anticipation 

McDonalds managers make around 50k salary. I knew someone who was a manager many yeas ago and he said he made good money because I addition to his base, he got bonuses based on the sales of the store. With the bonuses he was making good money. I'm not sure McDonald's still does that or if it's specific to a franchise. His apartment looks pretty bare bones and he seems like a man with few interests so yeah, he can afford to travel. I think he's a simple guy with an ok job but he certainly isn't going to blow a woman away. Filipino Cupid makes it easy to meet women who may have limited English ability so they don't see that he's a bit awkward or don't care because the prospect of a green card..well you know. 

I agree the secret Myriam has is no big deal. Maybe she is divorced. Maybe she has a kid. Maybe her parents don't know about Patrick. Those are my guesses. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, PityFree said:

Dear God. Did everybody see Patrick's long filthy fingernails?????

I think you mean Paul.  I didn't notice dirty fingernails on Patrick.

1 hour ago, Major Bigtime said:

For someone who's germaphobic, no less!

Paul is the germaphobe not Patrick.  A germaphobe who doesn't clean under his nails and one who goes into a public restroom in his socks.  Double gross.

• Love 2

I do wonder how much we're being manipulated by production and editing.  I guess they have to pull in ratings, but Paul's germophobic antics were over the top.  Someone that nuts about germs would never travel to the Amazon of all places. But it's all so entertaining to watch.  

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I do wonder how much we're being manipulated by production and editing.  I guess they have to pull in ratings, but Paul's germophobic antics were over the top.  Someone that nuts about germs would never travel to the Amazon of all places. But it's all so entertaining to watch.  

Sometimes I wonder if this guy is an actor, pretending to be such a weird duck.  If he is, he deserves an Academy Award.  

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, DragonFlyzz said:

I think you mean Paul.  I didn't notice dirty fingernails on Patrick.

Paul is the germaphobe not Patrick.  A germaphobe who doesn't clean under his nails and one who goes into a public restroom in his socks.  Double gross.

I thought it was socks and shower shoes. 

Why would anyone swim so close to the bathroom? 

• Love 4

The thing that always strikes me about all of the Americans on this show is that they all seem to feel they are owed a drop dead gorgeous person on their arms when lets be real they are all average at best and then proceed to explain that ALL men/women in their area are not dateable. Funny how the rest of us seem to make it work just fine but whatever.

I feel bad for for Abby. My husband's family is from a poor country too but as poor as Haiti but yeah this is what desperate women feel they have to do. The idea of marrying for love is not a thing in many countries and the expectation is you will send money to her family and start the process of trying to bring them over here as well. It is just understood that is the long-term goal that both of you should know going in.

I know many people here thing Paul is a virgin but very few adults at 34 are virgins just because he is socially awkward and a dufus doesn't mean he has no experience. I come from a lower income family with many a Paul and Larry and although they would not be among my dating circle they do meet and date women. I think many people are looking at these guys from what we expect from a middle class white collar guy and they are not. Larry could be the white version of my cousin that always tries to date "out of his league" women because he has unrealistic expectations. These women in these poor countries are most likely looking for someone not abusive and who make decent money based of 3rd world economy period. Their looks are personality aren't that important to these women as they local men they have to choose from don't have tons to offer. That being said these guys going abroad meeting them for the first time and expecting to get engaged that same trip are crazy.  I thing they met a few women here that treated them badly and just decided seek foreign women because they think a few kind words online equals love but hell almost every adult on the planet has been hurt dating someone so get over it already and stop being so desperate. 

Edited by yoyo926
spelling
  • Love 9

Paul doesn't strike me as someone who is a legit real germaphobe. I think he's acting this extreme because he feels he is "better" then karine. Almost like he is above her families lifestyle,swimming in river water,sleeping in a house that has no running water,AC. Eating their food & bringing his own,learning their language. Someone who is a germaphobe wouldn't accept a ball of hair from their mother. 

• Love 10
34 minutes ago, CofCinci said:

Paul is the real deal.

I have to admit - I wouldn't swim in that river either.  And I wouldn't have walked so breezily into that toilet either - that surprised me.  

Hope she doesn't take up with Paul.  She's pretty and healthy and has good parents.   He's not worthy IMO.

Edited by Pondlass1
  • Love 9

Abby's father: "I hope you aren't using my daughter for two weeks then going back to America. I hope you love her and take care of her and this isn't the last time we ever see her again."

Sean:  "K."

...If I were Papa Abby, they would never find his body. 

• Love 17

just watched this, and wow!  Abby couldn't even look at Sean in the morning and when he went in to kiss her (several times) she turned her head so he would give the kiss to her cheek.  She can't stand him.  And, she still doesn't want to have to choose between Chris and Sean.  Hmmmmm.  As soon as she gets her green card she will so be out of his life.

My heart ached for Larry.  I agree with others that he doesn't have the creep factor that some of the other men have.  It seems like he should be able to find someone in the U.S. unless there is something else going on with him.  His sons just want him to be happy, and the older one referenced multiple heart breaks for his dad, so there may be more going on there.

Paul...he keeps telling us how HARD it is to not be able to speak the same language as Karine.  So, when, exactly, did he try to study Portuguese since he was interested in Karine and planned to go visit her.  I think he keeps trying to play the victim card as well as the 'pitiful me' card about all of his hardships.  It seems like he really doesn't take responsibility for his decisions and actions.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Hellohappylife said:

Someone who is a germaphobe wouldn't accept a ball of hair from their mother. 

...nor tolerate those filthy nails he's sporting. He's not afraid of germs; he's afraid of poor-country cooties. 

• Love 13
14 hours ago, PityFree said:

Dear God. Did everybody see Patrick's long filthy fingernails?????

Do you mean Paul? I saw Mr. STD-Test-Required Paul's long filthy fingernails, for sure.

15 hours ago, Mercolleen said:

I wonder if Karine wonders if she's being punked?

I wonder if we are all being punked -- Paul is too ridiculous to be believed. Cooling vest? Penis protector? Trunks of supplies, including a pregnancy test, stuffed toys, and a hank of mama's hair? C'mon! This 'character' is really, really hard to believe. Are the producers having a good laugh? I mean I KNOW there are very weird, odd people out there, but THIS weird & odd?!?!?

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I thought it was socks and shower shoes. 

Why would anyone swim so close to the bathroom? 

Maybe he did have on shower shoes.  He initially had on black sandals which were very noticeable with his white socks.  I kept looking at his feet, though, because I couldn't imagine him of all people walking into a restroom with no shoes on his feet.

15 hours ago, Mercolleen said:

Paul flailing around in the "poop water" ... I wonder if Karine wonders if she's being punked?

She did say his neurotic behavior was embarrassing ... though I can't imagine why.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, CofCinci said:

13 hours ago, Matias130 said:

In the first episode I got the impression that Chris paid for her schooling. 

I get the impression Chris has paid for everything, and he probably still is.  If she and Chris were "friends," as ahe claims, why would she have any nervousness about him meeting The Creep?  

1 hour ago, Major Bigtime said:

He's probably got a little sweater knitted from it when he was a child.

Or his first penis protector.  

• Love 5