Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E03: The Queen's Justice

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis: Daenerys holds court; Cersei returns a gift; Jamie learns from his mistakes.

Reminder: There is open air book talk here. If you are just watching the TV show and you don't want to stumble into any book talk you should leave now. Book Talk assumes you have read all the books to date. Any information from unpublished books, such as preview chapters should be in spoiler tags.

(edited)

This was a fun episode. 

Finally got a hint of the Tyrion of old which I loved.

Nice to see Jamie using Starks warfare against Dany

Still don't care about Sam.

Oleanna had her moment. But what was with killing the characters offscreen with poison?

Sansa was running shit in winterfell. She's good at what she does when nobodys  in her way.

I can see Brans just going to be the exposition fairy.

Love or hate Cersei, Headley acted her ass off in that last scene.

This was a fun episode. 

Finally got a hint of the Tyrion of old which I loved.

Nice to see Jamie using Starks warfare against Dany

Still don't care about Sam.

Oleanna had her moment. But what was with killing the characters offscreen with poison?

Sansa was running shit in winterfell. She's good at what she does when nobodys  in her way.

I can see Brans just going to be the exposition fairy.

Love or hate Cersei, Headley acted her ass off in that poisoning scene.

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 7

So nuking the Red Keep from orbit not sounding like a bad idea any more, Dany?  Then again, the way these show runners love their invincible villains, Dany would probably lose 2-3 dragons in the process to the super-ballista.

Speaking of invincible villains, Euron is getting on my last nerve.  I'm really surprised no one on camera has slipped up and called him by his original name, Ramsey.

I really hate they way they've made Jaime into Cercei's lapdog.  I guess I wouldn't mind it so much if I didn't have his book counterpart to judge him against.

Bran and Sansa reunion was nice.  Littlefinger better get his comeuppance soon.

• Love 17

Last week I speculated that Cersie would give the littlest Sand Snake to Frankenmountain and make her mother watch.  Silly me.  That showed a complete lack of imagination on my part.  I should have know that Cersie would come up with an even more horrible eye-for-an-eye punishment for Ellaria.

• Love 16

I clapped like a ninny when Jon met Danaerys. I enjoyed Tyrion’s and Jon’s conversation too. Also, Jon and Davos gave the first real reaction to seeing a dragon. 

Sansa and Bran! I am in tears. Freakin’ tears. So, since Bran is the three-eyed Raven he has to act and talk all mysterious now?

Too much Cersei. I am sorry, but I am so sick of Cersei winning!

Ser Jorah is cured. Yay! Sam is not as boring as he used to be.

Go Olenna! I am so glad she got the last laugh on Cersei and Jamie.

• Love 15

Damn. Cersei is merciless. I think that's why no one can really challenge her. In the end, Jon and Dany and Sansa and I dare say even Littlefinger simply don't have the ruthlessness of Cersei. 

I'm so sick of Jamie continuing to be nothing but Cersei's bitch. This is so different from the complex person George RR Martin wrote.

I loved Dany and Jon's scenes. Dany expected as I'd expect her to -- bratty and entitled and naive, which is her default position  when she's unsure of herself. But Bran really needs to tell Jon that he's a Targareyan. 

Oleanna's final scene was gold. 

• Love 15

Loved all the incident packed into this episode.

I laughed out loud at Jon deadpanning about the Dothraki "They're hard to miss."

So I guess Varys will die before the end of the show. When will the man learn not to mouth off at Red Priestesses?

Also possible foreshadowing: Tyrion telling Jon "If I was your Hand..."

• Love 13

Maybe it was just me, but while I know Bran is suppose to be all distant, he came across as really cold blooded reminding Sansa about what happened.  I mean he wasn't like that at the end of season 6.  So are we suppose to think just seeing Jon's parentage made him all cold and lacking empathy?  He wasn't even happy to see Sansa or seemed to be happy to be home.

Also, I wish Meera could have at least said something, introduced her self at least.

• Love 23
(edited)

I feel bad for Isaac Hempstead-Wright.  He hasn’t had a scene with another main castmember since crossing paths with Sam and Gilly at the end of Season 3 (and even that was a one-off), and now that Bran is finally reuniting with the Stark family et al. his character has been retooled (offscreen) as largely emotionless and detached from mortal concerns.  Sophie Turner gets to give the works for that scene, by comparison.

On the one hand, I can’t say Ellaria and Tyene didn’t deserve that.  On the other hand, it made Cersei happy, and she doesn’t deserve to be happy because she’s a horrible person.

Cutting right to the chase at getting Jon to Dragonstone.  I guess Jon must have assaulted Littlefinger last episode to steal his jetpack.  Anyway, the long-awaited meeting of Jon and Dany was pretty well-handled, for the start, I think.

Team Dany continues to be abysmal at military strategy, basically just as a succession of plot gifts to Cersei to keep her in the game.  They abandon the idea of trying to hunt down Euron’s navy using dragons, on the grounds that it would be hard to find him, but surely the obvious action is to shadow their own ships to the Rock to prevent…exactly what happens.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 17
(edited)
2 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Team Dany continues to be abysmal at military strategy, basically just as a succession of plot gifts to Cersei to keep her in the game.  They abandon the idea of trying to hunt down Euron’s navy using dragons, on the grounds that it would be hard to find him, but surely the obvious action is to shadow their own ships to the Rock to prevent…exactly what happens.

Jaime's not that much better. While following the unsullied was smart. Why the hell would Euron even let them get to the Rock?

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 4
(edited)
7 minutes ago, mac123x said:

So nuking the Red Keep from orbit not sounding like a bad idea any more, Dany? 

I appreciated the fact that they at least addressed the question of why Dany hasn't mounted on Drogon and gone Euron-hunting.

So . . . is anyone else wondering where Yara is right now?

That reminds me -- I said "Oh Shit!" out loud when Theon was dragged out of the water because I was afraid it was Euron's men.  Glad that wasn't true.  But damn, poor Theon. His sister's men respect him even less now.  Who knew that was even possible?  I can't believe how I've come to sympathize with him.

5 minutes ago, stagmania said:

So greyscale is a deadly disease that turns men to stone and isn't curable ...unless Samwell just kind of peals the scales off you real quick, and then it's fine! Such a lame resolution. Why even bother having Jorah get sick?

Well the ArchMaester did at least comment that the treatment Sam did generally fails.  Maybe we can fan-wank that it worked on Ser Jorah because magic is alive in the world again (dragons in the air, obsidian candles burning -- at least in the book, and White Walkers on the move.)  It's a stretch but it's something.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 8

Jorah's cure was so annoying. So the magic salve, besides curing grayscale, ALSO causes having the skin peeled off large areas of your body to be healed overnight? And the maester can tell that Sam is NOT infected with greyscale after one freakin' day of observation? No worry about an incubation period? No quarantine? Nothing? How nice that treating greyscale turned out to be so ridiculously easy to manage after all. Bleah.

• Love 14

Olenna dropping truth bombs the whole way out. Too bad she wasn't queen of the seven kingdoms. Way too bad ass for that world. Her family is gone, she probably welcomed the end. :( Brava Diana Rigg! 

BRAN!!! I had a tear. Was expecting it to be Arya. So, if it happens near a face tree, he knows? Sucks that so many were cut down over the centuries. He'll be a great set of eyes for the coming war.

I'm okay with momma snake watching baby snake die a slow death. If Oberyn had been paying attention to Gregor's kill zone, he would have gotten the confession AND lived. Poisoning Myrcella was stupid. Poor Yara, hanging out now with crazy uncle Euron. Good to see Theon get out of the ocean. 

Sam rocks! But did he ever tell Jorah that the Old Bear forgave him? Now he has to do the Citadel's version of lines for detention. "I will not cure greyscale without permission."

Dany, meet your half nephew. Jon, meet Aunt Dany, she has cool pets. 

• Love 7

I loved Tyrion quoting Bronn: "Give me 10 good men and I'll impregnate the bitch". Heee!

Team Targaryen have taken massive hits; I guess Dany's navy is completely wiped out now?? Cersei being the second coming of Tywin Lannister is utter bullshit but I guess they can't have Dany wipe out the Lannisters in 2 episodes. 

I absolutely loved the scene between Jon and Dany on the stairs. His broodiness and honesty is already breaking down the Mother of Dragons's defenses. And, Dany giiiirlll, I saw you checking him out as he walked away. Heeee!!

• Love 17

I assume Cersei is getting some licks in now because she will lose hard later. 

I don't know what it is, but the scenes between Danaerys and Jon felt a bit flat for me but I thought the dialogue (at least Jon's part) was amazing. Then again Danaerys is kinda getting on my last nerve so I was very happy to see Jon stand up to her and refuse to bend knee. Hated that she was keeping him prisoner but at least he gets to mine his dragon glass 

Bran and Sansa meeting made me tear up, but Bran seemed so cold to me and why did he bring up Sansa's wedding day/night. He must have know she was traumatized, Sansa looked so happy to be speaking with him and he just pulled that out. He also mentioned that he needed to speak to Jon, I assume this has to do with Jon's parentage. 

I liked Tyrion this episode and enjoyed his scenes with Jon. Can't believe its been SIX years since they were in scenes together. 

Olenna, she died with dignity thanks to Jaime but I am glad she told him that SHE was responsible for Joffreys death. Now Cersei can stop blaming Tyrion. 

Cersei is evil, but I felt for her when she was talking about Myrcella, Ellaria didn't have to kill her to avenge Oberyn who really died because of his own pride. 

• Love 24

For an episode that was clearly supposed to be so very huge with Jon and Dany meeting, so much of it was very workmanlike and paint by numbers.  About the only interesting or amusing thing that happened in the meeting was the usual long bombastic drawn out intro of Dany of the 20 titles followed by a less than impressed Davos responding, "This is Jon Snow. ... He's, uh, King of the North."   Team Dany's war planning might benefit from having somebody who actually knows something about war, maybe.

Considering that there's more than a little bit of lovely writing in the books about Jon contemplating that joining the Nights Watch meant he'd never get to see any of the larger world beyond the dreary North, would it have killed them to have acknowledged that this is the one and only time he's ever gotten to travel outside of it?

I was so distracted by Cersei's pink lipstick throughout her monologuing at Ellaria that I didn't see the kiss of death coming until she was right on it.  Nice symmetry there, show.

• Love 20

What a shame in a way, every time I think Jamie is questioning his honor, he goes right back to being Cersei's lapdog.  I'm sooooo glad Olenna explained to him that she was the one responsible for Joffrey's death.  I so enjoyed that.  Many blessings to Diana Rigg on her portrayal, I will miss seeing her.

I don't want to give Cersei much space, I'm sick of seeing her 'win' as well.  I can't say I disagree with her treatment of her Dorne prisoners though, considering how Myrcella met her end, and really she was an innocent.

The look on LF face when the maester said that previous Stark maester Luwin kept copies of all the messages?  There's something going on there, either he doesn't want something to be discovered or he's going to manipulate those to reflect in his favor.  Hmmmm.... 

Now damnit Jorah, get your ass to Dragonstone pronto!  

• Love 9

I just loved all the character interactions this episode. Sam's scenes continue to be great this season - him and Jorah and him and the Maester. Jorah on his way to his Khaleesi - meanwhile she is looking at Jon all hmmm!

Jon really has a difficult task on his plate. How does one convince people of the WW and the wights? At least he gets to mine dragon glass.

Really loved Tyrion this episode. Trying to intercede between Jon and Dany and giving both her and Jon some good advice. Davos was his usual blunt self - hyping up his king.

What happened to Meera? She just disappeared after dropping off Bran. Sansa and Bran quickly dispense off the matter of who gets to rule Winterfell in a few sentences.

Jaime and Cersei? Yawn.

Poor Yara. Poor Theon. Poor Ellaria. Cersei's justice is about torturing her victims to death. No quick death for anyone. And Jaime is complicit in her crimes. Get stuffed Jaime.

Dany was wonderful this episode. I liked that she suggested attacking Euron with her dragons like she did in Meereen. I am not sure about Tyrion over ruling that. Dany could target Euron's ship. That guy continues to be a menace - again, how does no one see him coming with his giant ass ships?

It looks difficult for the unsullied to fight with spears against swords .  'Ten good men' makes an appearance! Looks like Jaime is a better strategist than Tyrion.

• Love 4
(edited)
11 minutes ago, dbell1 said:

Dany, meet your half nephew. Jon, meet Aunt Dany, she has cool pets.

I'd reword that:  "Dany, meet your nephew, who was dead but got better.  Jon, this is your Aunt Dany she has cool pets".  I liked how Davos almost mentioned Jon's death until Jon gave him a look, and they both Dany and Tyrion picked up on the "knife to the heart" comment.  I expected it to come back during Dany's subsequent conversation wtih Jon, but I guess that's a Chekhov's Resurrection that'll be fired later.

Edit -- Checkhov the writer, not Checkov the guy on Star Trek.

Edited by mac123x
  • Love 13
(edited)

Man, Cersei is the worst. I keep saying it but maybe THIS is it for Jaime now. He now knows that Tyrion wasn't responsible for Joffrey's death.

"There are White Walkers," Jon says.

"It's not possible," says Dany, the mother of dragons.

I liked these little bits:

"I'm the last Targaryen," says Dany. Uhhh...

"I'm not a Stark," says Jon, and the dragons appear.

However, after all the hype and seven fucking years and two books still to be written I was underwhelmed by Jon and Dany. I don't know what I was expecting. It just felt sort of flat. 

Sansa is kind of awesome being the boss lady in Winterfell. And Sansa and Bran! Another Stark reunion.

It took Jon like five minutes to get to Dragonstone but Arya has still not arrived at Winterfell. 

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 13
2 minutes ago, screamin said:

Only if he did it in front of a weirwood tree...

I disagree.  The Tower of Joy was nowhere near a weirwood yet Btan saw it.  Bran knows everything but he said he's having a hard time sorting it out, so he won't remember Littlefinger's treachery with Ned until the plot requires it.

• Love 15
(edited)
4 minutes ago, anamika said:

Looks like Jaime is a better strategist than Tyrion.

Considering that he's been in a war or two, he'd better be better. 

Also loved Dany calling Tyrion on his habit of using his sayings and trying to make it appear that they came from older wiser men. That made me laugh

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 16
8 minutes ago, bluvelvet said:

Bran seemed so cold to me and why did he bring up Sansa's wedding day/night.

I assumed he did it to demonstrate the truth of his assertions about being able to "see" as the three-eye-raven.  But yeah, his PTSD/lack-of-affect stone-face made for a really sad reunion.  Maybe he'll brighten up with Arya shows up.  I don't think he's "seen" her yet.  It would be nice to see her surprise him.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

What do you want to bet that something in those scrolls will be VERY helpful to the battle up north?  What do you want to bet that the ArchMaester will add books and scrolls to the pile that that he suspects might contain useful info specifically for that reason?

Exactly what I was thinking.

• Love 5

So apparently the cure for grayscale is an extreme exfoliating.  Sam doesn't listen to Maester/Professor Slughorn any better than Hermione ever did about restricted books.  

The Bran/Sansa reunion was so awkward looking.  When last she saw Bran he was a little boy, now he's a grown man hunching down pretending he's not a grown man speaking in riddles.  Don't ask him about Hodor, Sansa.

• Love 10

Jon and Tyrion were probably my favorite part.  Dany is slowly finally to grow on me, but I still don't see her as the "winner" at the end.  Does she make decisions on her own anymore?  I guess she doesn't have to and that is the roll of the Hand, but still.  Guess I don't mind considering I like Tyrion better.

Bran's homecoming was very underwhelming.  I'm sure the character is supposed to be that way, but his dialogue is so monotone now.  So... boring.

Jaime... uh... is he good or is he bad?  He needs to ditch Cersei once and for all and really try to be redeemed.

I'm going to miss that crazy old woman.  So upset the Lannisters win again.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, screamin said:

Jorah's cure was so annoying. So the magic salve, besides curing grayscale, ALSO causes having the skin peeled off large areas of your body to be healed overnight? And the maester can tell that Sam is NOT infected with greyscale after one freakin' day of observation? No worry about an incubation period? No quarantine? Nothing? How nice that treating greyscale turned out to be so ridiculously easy to manage after all. Bleah.

Do we know that this was the next day? I assumed it was supposed to be quite a bit later.

But, as always, the writers have made the timeline as confusing and incoherent as possible. Why on earth do they insist on using only one measure for the passage of time -- a "fortnight"? It's absolutely maddening! So thanks to the timing Cersei laid out for Tycho Nestoris, we're meant to believe that Jaime left for the Reach, assembled his army, marched on Highgarden and captured it, and now will trundle all the way back to King's Landing with enough spoils to pay the Iron Bank, all in the span of two weeks? And meanwhile people are sailing all over the Seven Kingdoms in roughly the same amount of time? Eff that; it's total nonsense.

Just have things take longer -- have Cersei tell Nestoris to chill for a couple months or whatever. There's no damn reason why every major thing that happens needs to take place right on top of the last major thing.

Anyway, that's just my pet peeve, I guess. In general, I thought this was another strong episode, with more in-depth discussions that give the story time to breathe. I am a little worried for future episodes, though, since the writers seem to be paring off characters and whole storylines in earnest now. For now it's still pretty compelling, but I worry that before long we'll end up with like five characters left and the fictional world will contract around them. I hope I'm wrong about that . . .

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

I assumed he did it to demonstrate the truth of his assertions about being able to "see" as the three-eye-raven.  But yeah, his PTSD/lack-of-affect stone-face made for a really sad reunion.  Maybe he'll brighten up with Arya shows up.  I don't think he's "seen" her yet.  It would be nice to see her surprise him.

Hard to do that if he sees everything already...

• Love 1
(edited)

I thought Jon/Dany was so underwhelming.  Emilia truly has chemistry with no one. And I'm just tired of Dany. But I liked some things. I cackled at her saying she was the last targaryen and the dragon flying over Jon's head after he said he wasn't a stark. I also loved Jon and Tyrion's first convo being about Sansa and how awkward it was.  Jon tenses up when any man mentions her name it seems.

I didn't think they were ANTI-chemistry, it just wasn't impressive IMO.  I'm more bothered by the fact that neither of those two idiots should be running a lemonade stand, much less Kingdoms.  Cersei is mopping the floor with Dany.  Jon said Cersei wasn't a concern but Sansa was right when she said, Cersei ALWAYS finds a way.  She's taken Dorne out of the game, she now has the gold and the largest food producing land under her control.  How long before Cersei is ready to settle her score with House Stark or more specifically, Sansa.  

It was a truly bitter end for Olenna Tyrell.  Watching as Jaimie Lannister and the Bannerman that betrayed her, marched on Highgarden was heartbreaking and my heart doesn't break easy.  It must be my affinity for her character.  I could tell she was thinking I should have poisoned Joffrey AND Cersei at the Purple Wedding.  She acknowledged that she never knew what kind of creature Cersei truly was until it was too late.   And though she was dignified, you could feel the seething hate she felt for Jaimie for enabling Cersei in her conquest.  The little we were able to see of Highgarden really did look beautiful.  And very Olenna of her to take solace in the one victory she had.  The Lannister's did far more damage to The Tyrells then vice versa but she did take a moment to revel in the fact that she murdered Joffrey.  It was the only joy she had in the end.

I'm not bothered by Jaimie because I think this is who he is.  This was who he was when he was hunting Arya and planning to cut off her arm for striking Joffrey, this is who he was when he threw Bran from the Tower intending to kill him.  He was a monster that went through a hard time when his hand was cut off.  But that was the only thing about him that truly changed.  I'm glad the show runners aren't wasting time.  I assume in the book he'll escape Stoneheart with hijinks and he'll eventually step up on Cersei's behalf.

Liked the brief glimpse of Sansa running Winterfell.  And though she doesn't know it.  She was right about the threat of Cersei, this will have to be dealt with if what's left of Westeros is going to fight the others and she was right that it was a trap.  He isn't going anywhere until he bends the knee.   If it weren't for the undead i would say it's in Sansa's best interest if Jon stays gone.  She clearly knows how to run a keep, we'll see if we get more interaction between her and the Northern Lords in mass but she's working to consolidate food which is smart.  

Sansa's reunion with Bran was nice, until he mentioned her wedding night.  She was shook AF.   And understandably so.

Nice callback to the past interaction of Tyrion/Sansa at Dragonstone.  Interesting that he still thinks highly of Sansa and seemed genuinely glad to know she is doing well.

Many thoughts this episode.

Edited by Advance35
  • Love 16