Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: The Narrow Escape Problem

• Start Topic

Well, whatta ya know, consequences all over the place. I guess this does take place in the real world. I knew as soon as Gloria saw Ray's name the dominoes would start falling. And I have to say, while I probably would've thought about it longer than Ray, I probably would've made the same decision.

Sy does seem to get some shit done, but still manages to be the worst enforcer ever.

This was easily the best episode of the season and that was mostly due to David Thewlis.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, AimingforYoko said:

So was using the music.

Yes, the kettle drums when Yuri rounded the corner , and the cat's theme when Gloria passed Nikki .  I was grinning through  a lot of the episode.

• Love 3

There's the slow burn and then there's whatever this is. I honestly am not sure why I'm not feeling engaged this season. I don't even like Ewan McGregor as a rule, but like him in these roles.

I think it might be that the bad guys aren't epic enough. Billy Bob first season was gold, the mob family in season two was very scary. This season has a bulimic with bad teeth and two guys who don't look smart enough to open the security door. And I'm still not feeling Carrie C***'s character.

Also, Chekhov's town model says it will get trashed at some point by a bad guy.

I'll hang in there, but damn someone needs to make me care.

• Love 11

Oh, Ray.  Normally, I would totally get throwing your job away for Mary Elizabeth Winstead, but like your co-worker, I question if Nikki really loves you back or not.

Totally recognized Billy Bob Thornton as the narrator for "Peter and the Wolf."  The use of the music was a nice touch too.

So, Vargas is bulimic?  Not sure what to make of that.  David Thewlis is still perfectly creepy in the role.

Emmit and Sy are both so out of their element that it is hilarious.  I want to respect Sy for at least trying to take an aggressive approach, but he somehow keeps making things worse.  Michale Stuhlbarg is a treasure.

Gloria is finally putting the pieces together about Maurice, what the motivation might be, and who is all connected to it.  I hope the other cop sticks around.  She needs to a new friend.  Although, I still understand why Shea Whigham's captain gets frustrated with her.

Probably my favorite episode of the season so far, since the story finally seems to be ramping up, but I'm still a bit underwhelmed.  I wonder if season two set my expectations sky high and I'm expecting too much.  Or maybe Noah Hawley put too much energy in Legion this season, and didn't really put the effort this go around.  Either way, I still enjoy it, but despite the great cast and fun lines, I'm not fully loving it like the last two seasons.

• Love 5

Sy sounded just like Jerry Lundegaard from the movie when he was getting snippy with the police officer about the car.

Also at the bank the man told Ray that if you took out over $10,000 it did something but Ray cut him off. So I am curious if he screwed himself by asking for that change for the meter.

• Love 8
(edited)

What a horribly off-note it was when rich Stussy, in the conversation with English dude, got stars in his eyes when it was suggested he may become a billionaire.   Sure, he is all over the map and he is not the brightest bulb eveah.  However, in his corpuscles he knows that any deepening of the relationship is his death knell.   He is well and truly terrified anytime he is in dude's presence.  

Looooved BBT's narration and the playing of snippets from Peter and the Wolf.  There is no doubting Hawley and the gang's intelligence and commitment to expand the horizons of drama and TV.  This one paid off handsomely.  Well done.

Why does the new chief have to be suuuuch a dumbass and jerk?  C'mon.  I'm fine with the savvy gals putting 2 and 2 together and hitting the lottery.  Why oh why do the authority males have to be this dense and misogynistic?  Every season, it seems.

Questions:  Is the accent Thewlis is affecting from a particular region?  To my untrained and ignorant ears, it sounds like something from a decidedly and specific blue collar area.  Also, the names of the world cities he cited - does anyone know of any pattern or history which may be a clue to us?

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes
  • Love 5

I really enjoyed last week's episode but it was so disconnected from the rest of the season that it could have almost been a short film. We're back to the main story and I thought it had similar issues to the first two episodes. Things are dragging too much and everybody feels like a generic version of characters from previous seasons. Ray and Emmett are particular problems not so much from Ewan McGregor, but the fact they have little-to-no characterization outside successful/loser brother. 

So now I'm feeling pretty sure that Gloria's technology problems will end up saving her life, keeping her invisible to Vargas's eyes. 

Speaking of who, I'm starting to think he might be the flip-side to Malvo and Hanzee, both who were almost supernaturally scary characters. I think Vargas can talk a good game but in episode that made comparisons to Putin keeping power through deception, Vargas might be a lot weaker than he lets on. He intimidates Emmett about his omnipotence but then we just see him using Facebook to learn information. And obviously, bulimia is a big weakness for a crime boss. 

• Love 5

The Peter and the Wolf music, the parallels between it and the show's characters, and Billy Bob's narration were eeeeeeeverything.  I loved the shit out of this episode.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

So, Vargas is bulimic?  Not sure what to make of that.  David Thewlis is still perfectly creepy in the role.

I thought it might be somehow related to the toilet bowl in the previous episode where the first murder victim saw the name "Stusskey" (spelling?) and changed his last name to that. Lots of scenes happening in or around toilet bowls.

I'm loving this season. I loved all three. But this one seems to have many elements of "Alice in Wonderland".

Fargo is tied with The Americans for my most favorite TV show ever.

3 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Why does the new chief have to be suuuuch a dumbass and jerk?  C'mon.  I'm fine with the savvy gals putting 2 and 2 together and hitting the lottery.  Why oh why do the authority males have to be this dense and misogynistic?  Every season, it seems.

We saw a similar relationship between Molly and the idiot chief in Season One. Remember?

I think it helps the audience recognize how clever a secondary officer is when their boss is not nearly as "on the ball".  It makes the new chief stand out as the "best" chief. Just my opinion, of course.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

. . . Also at the bank the man told Ray that if you took out over $10,000 it did something but Ray cut him off. So I am curious if he screwed himself by asking for that change for the meter.

I immediately flashed on L&O and all the other shows of that genre that have used the reverse of that plot point to explain how the blackmailer, mistress, embezzler etc. got away with it for so long by making regular deposits or withdrawls of $9,999 to avoid being flagged by the feds. Oh, Ray. You really should've watched more TV to learn how the world works.

3 hours ago, loki567 said:

. . . So now I'm feeling pretty sure that Gloria's technology problems will end up saving her life, keeping her invisible to Vargas's eyes. . . . 

And again this week I (and probably to some degree most of the audience) could relate to the frustration of those devices in public washrooms not working for me, especially prior to 2010.

Vargas is Emmit's Nikki Swango. 

• Love 4

Shout out to Bemidji, new bank girl! 

When Ray pulled the old twin switcheroo, I had to wonder if he'd think he could pull that off again. And, like many others, I DO wonder how much Nikki is into him. He lost his job for her. Time will tell. 

I'm still not sure just WHY Vargas wants his hooks in Emmit so badly, but watching his machinations is pretty entertaining. I could do without the purging, though. What is UP with that? 

I really like Gloria's new BFF, Officer Lopez. I found her interactions with Sy to be hilarious. He'd stammer and stutter and she'd just stare at him, waiting. I am hoping for an epic, double female take down. 

• Love 6

Adored this episode. Loved Billy Bob's silky narration, the use of the music, Ray's bad wig, the bulimia as the reason for the horrible teeth, Gloria's consistent issue with technology (which I agree is key and will wind up saving her life or something), her new bestie, and their coming together to solve this shit, and everything that has already been mentioned. I see that some are still on the fence about this season, but I'm loving it just as much as the others. Like Bryan Fuller, Hawley is a crazy genius with a million ideas and I seem to want to see all of them.

• Love 11

This episode really pointed out how Gloria has an issue with mechanized things, like the water, paper towel dispenser, etc. (I know that it's been discussed here.) I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.  At times, I'm not sure why it's not working for me.  I have to give it 5-6 attempts to get the water to come on.  This occurs at a lot of different places.   Odd.  Anyone else have this problem?  I don't think that I am an alien.  lol  

Last night, I suddenly became afraid that Nikki will eventually kill Ray. Just a feeling.  

I do like Winnie.  Finally, a character that I feel positive about.  

I can't wait for next season. 

• Love 7

I love how this show keeps being able to give me flashbacks to the movie and also at the same time flashbacks to the previous seasons with more and more layers added on each season. Its the same but different every time! Archer took a page out of their book this season (same but different characters) which puts a smile on my face.This season i love it just as much as the rest of fargo all i ask with shows is that i keep enjoying them as much as previous installments and so far they have done that extremely well. This episode was the best of the season so far!

I do feel for ray and his love for nikki and i hope she isnt too upset with him for missing the investors dinner although i would completely understand as ray would say seeing as she said the whole reliability thing especially with the doubts we all have (people in the show too) about her love for him.

• Love 3

I think it might be that the bad guys aren't epic enough. Billy Bob first season was gold, the mob family in season two was very scary. 

I may be in the minority but so far I'm enjoying this season more than I did the first two, and for the very reason you are not. The problem I have with this show is each season there is some villain who is almost magically untouchable and way cooler than anyone in the world. In the first season it was Malvo and in the second it was Mike Milligan. Now it's Varga. They have these long-winded soliloquies and rhapsodize poetically in grand metaphors and sound oh-so-smart and oh-so-deep, and it feels very pretentious and self-important to me.

However, for some reason I have an easier time digesting this with David Thewlis than I did with Billy Bob Thornton or Bokeem Woodbine. The "mob" element isn't boring me to tears like it did in Season 2 either. I'm enjoying the dual role Ewan McGregor is playing. The story just works better for me than the first two did.

My one complaint is that the writer and/or director seems overly fond of showing us vomit. I don't need to see it, I get the idea without the visual.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I'm still not sure just WHY Vargas wants his hooks in Emmit so badly, but watching his machinations is pretty entertaining. I could do without the purging, though. What is UP with that?

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner?

Just  j/k  Heh Heh     

:)

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Looooved BBT's narration and the playing of snippets from Peter and the Wolf.  There is no doubting Hawley and the gang's intelligence and commitment to expand the horizons of drama and TV.  This one paid off handsomely.  Well done.

I am saddened when I think of BBT because I think he is one of the very best American actors ever and it seems to me he was overlooked for much of his early career. He has only recently (relatively speaking) been recognized as being a true great and getting some great roles. Of course, many people will disagree with me about this. I know that I have a somewhat warped perspective when it comes to BBT.

I suppose I have some bad feelings towards his first wife (Angelina Jolie). I never understood their bizarre relationship and I've always felt that his being held back was somehow because of her. Then it seems she just dumped him to move on to some other movie star who left some poor girl heartbroken and now she has ....

Oh well. This is all just my silly fantasy. I have no right and no reason to feel this way. I just really love BBT's work and I wish he had been recognized at a much younger age so that we all could have a much larger collection of his life's work. I hope he maintains his star status into his old age so that we will be able to enjoy his work for many years to come.

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, MissBluxom said:

I just really love BBT's work and I wish he had been recognized at a much younger age so that we all could have a much larger collection of his life's work.

His encounter with the cop on a country road in "One False Move" was classic pre-Malvo menace. Plus he got all he (I) wanted out of AJ before she became English.

• Love 1

I guess the key to getting away with murder in a post Breaking Bad/ Fargo world is to: keep the cops out of the toilet!

Also don't like the heavy use of bodily excretions , from all ends. Many shows feel "it's the blunt realism of today" but they still use the 555 area codes when phone numbers show up. Spare me the scatology, I can see all those fluids* with my own equipment any time and never have an "urge" to.

* except the "feminine hygiene as a weapon".

• Love 1
(edited)
On 2017-05-11 at 2:06 PM, Eulipian 5k said:

His encounter with the cop on a country road in "One False Move" was classic pre-Malvo menace. Plus he got all he (I) wanted out of AJ before she became English.

For anyone who had not seen "One False Move", I'd like to recommend it.

I believe it was actually written and directed by BBT. For a first time, it was really terrific. Very exciting film!

On 2017-05-11 at 2:29 PM, Eulipian 5k said:

I guess the key to getting away with murder in a post Breaking Bad/ Fargo world is to: keep the cops out of the toilet!

Also don't like the heavy use of bodily excretions , from all ends. Many shows feel "it's the blunt realism of today" but they still use the 555 area codes when phone numbers show up. Spare me the scatology, I can see all those fluids* with my own equipment any time and never have an "urge" to.

Oh my. I must agree. Also, I wonder just where this is coming from. Could it be that one of the show runners has some kind of psychological fixation?

If so, I really wish they would indulge that elsewhere and allow us to indulge our "peculiarities" elsewhere as well.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 2

Well, I'm glad I'm hanging in there with this season's Fargo.  Last night's episode was good (except for the bulimia on display several times).  Also, not pleased with another dumba$$ police boss (shades of Molly having to deal with a jerk boss in season 1)--this is gettin' old, IMO.  Loved BBT's narration of Peter & the Wolf (now that was clever thinking to add that to the story).  I hope they're already writing next season's plot.  There's just something about those snowy scenes + the familiar, sad music + the pathetic characters that really pulls me in.  With this latest show, though, I'm wondering if the Minnesotans are getting annoyed (the OTT accents are really present this year).

• Love 2

This episode made me happy.  LOVED the use of Peter and the Wolf and the characteristics they gave each character.  I really liked Officer Lopez and enjoyed the two women starting to put the pieces together, well, together.  I felt like this is the first episode in which I was interested, and as a result I am now fully vested in this season.

• Love 3

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM.  At times, I'm not sure why it's not working for me.  I have to give it 5-6 attempts to get the water to come on.  This occurs at a lot of different places.   Odd.  Anyone else have this problem?  I don't think that I am an alien.  lol  

I do too. I always think that it has to do with body temperature, since mine is less than 98.6. I seem to spend a lot of time waving my hands in front of things to get them to work, but I don't have a problem with electric eye doors.

I am enjoying this season, even though I don't know where it's headed.  Loved the Peter and the Wolf analogy. Wonder if it will continue beyond this episode. 

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Jodithgrace said:

I do too. I always think that it has to do with body temperature, since mine is less than 98.6. I seem to spend a lot of time waving my hands in front of things to get them to work, but I don't have a problem with electric eye doors.

Interesting. I have a lower than average body temp as well, and the same problem with those bathroom faucets/paper towel sensors. I never thought about that before. But yea, with Gloria it is ALL electronic devices it seems. She even had trouble with someone hearing her on the phone, right? I hope there's a good payoff here. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

We saw a similar relationship between Molly and the idiot chief in Season One. Remember?

I think it helps the audience recognize how clever a secondary officer is when their boss is not nearly as "on the ball".  It makes the new chief stand out as the "best" chief. Just my opinion, of course.

But why do they have to show the female officer is clever by making their boss a complete idiot. Almost anyone would look like a genius in comparison. 

3 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

This trend became very popular a few years ago and Netflix original shows expand upon it all the time. The only way that shows seem to be able to show that a woman is pregnant is to make them vomit. Usually the bathroom scenes add nothing to a character or to the plot, yet shows still insist on having them. Some shows ever start off episodes and seasons with a bathroom scene

7 hours ago, A Boston Gal said:

Just occurred to me: is the iconic Fargo Briefcase Full of Cash going to make an appearance this season?

If it does, I would guess that it would be somehow related to that box with the hand that emerges and shuts it off. The more I think about it, the more that I like that box and I'd like to buy one.  It is silly. But there is just something deluxe about it. Of course, I don't mean "deluxe" in the usual sense. I really don't know just what word I'm looking for. But out of all the stupid kinds of joke things (like pet rocks, etc.) that box has to be one of the most interesting toys I've ever seen. It's truly very attention-grabbing!  I love it!

22 minutes ago, polyhymnia said:

It's strange - I am not generally bothered by gore but vomit?  No thanks.

I loved the use of Peter and the Wolf.  That was amazing.

I must agree very strongly. It was truly amazing. I loved it.

• Love 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, Armchair Critic said:

Sy sounded just like Jerry Lundegaard from the movie when he was getting snippy with the police officer about the car.

Also at the bank the man told Ray that if you took out over $10,000 it did something but Ray cut him off. So I am curious if he screwed himself by asking for that change for the meter.

The point the bank officer tried to make will very likely be Ray's downfall.  When someone comes right out and tries to warn you, it is usually a real good idea to shut up and listen to the warning. In this case and in many other cases, I would guess that listening to that warning would save Ray a whole heck of a lot of trouble. Oh Gosh, Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  Yes! 

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 2

Emmitt already knows about the money.  But he also didn’t realize that the $10,000 would trigger an investigation.  I have a feeling that will come back to haunt *him* in a later episode because he is the one who will be investigated, not Ray.  Although hard for me to believe a parole officer is unaware of the $10,000 limit.

That investigation will bring the cops too close to Emmit/Varga which may lead to the town shootout so they can have their own Season massacre.

Nikki will be Ray’s downfall, I think.  It is touching he was willing to be fired for her.  And she seemed to really be missing him at the investor’s dinner.  But she is too heavily into Nikki to have room for Ray.  And she, being a con to the bone herself, is gong to be quite aware of when the shtf before almost anyone else.  Ray will try to save her, she will escape, but he won’t is my guess.

Agree with those who think that Gloria’s *lack of visibility/effect* on technology/sensors is going to end up being a savior for her at some point.  And have enjoyed the two women cops starting to put it all together.  Kind of tired of the same old with the new chief and Gloria, but he’s not long for this world since based on the character trajectory of previous seasons.

Maybe I am having a harder time getting as invested in Season 3 because now by the third season, it is kind of looking like exactly the same character trajectories and since the characters don’t seem as good to me overall, it is harder to maintain a deep level of interest in the show.  Yes this episode was better, but the bar was so low already.  I don’t really like the very close trajectory to previous seasons, it is too cookie cutter.

I completely dislike Varga and not the way I disliked Malvo (who scared me).  Varga is like fingernails on the chalkboard to me, I can barely stand listening to him.  He talks too slow, seems too dumb to be some high crime boos, has horrible teeth, and now throws up his food, which probably has some meaning in itself.  But he is all-around dislikable to me in his role, I wish it was a different type of villain altogether.  He and his motley companions just seem thrown together to have some malevolent characters for the season to fit the template.  Why would you get that variety of individuals together otherwise.  

The bodies should start to pile up from here on out.

Love that whacky Varga, and didn't expect the bulemia.  The fixation on bodily fluids is a little concerning, though.  What's next, explosive diarrhea?

I'm beginning to like Ray,  maybe because I don't see a happily-ever-after with Swango in his future.

• Love 3
(edited)

Oh, Razzberry.  I just have to agree with you. Overwhelmingly agree with you.

It is so extremely difficult to believe that Nikki really and truly loves her P.O.

I guess that no one can really know this for certain. But, I strongly suspect that the two of them have come up with a system to cheat at Bridge and figure they will make a lot of money using this system. But this is so extemely doubtful because so many people who are so  much smarter than the both of them put together have come up with all kinds of cheating systems and almost all of them get caught. Remember the movie "Casino"? It is so easy to determine if someone is cheating at Bridge. If they keep winning, then they are almost certainly cheating. It's just that simple. Especially if they are a pair who have appeared out of "nowhere" and have not invested most all of their lives studying and practicing and playing.  It's just way too difficult to cheat successfully and pretty dumb to try since there are really no huge cash prizes and people get so silly when they cheat and win. Just like in that movie. They forget that you got to lose sometimes. They go on terribly long winning streaks and stand out like sore thumbs. If you want to cheat at most anything, you've really got to make it look like you lose a lot of the time. But criminals (especially criminals) get too excited and swept up in the winning of the money and they forget to lose more of the money here and there. It just don't smell right. It fails the smell test. It's just bad. Real bad. Too bad!

Nikki and Ray strike me as a typical pair of criminals who are able to develop a good cheating system but who would never be able to stick to some system that incuded controlled losses so they didn't appear to be cheating. And since Nikki is so much smarter than her partner, there will be bound to be arguments about just how much they should win and when and how often they should lose.  It is almost for sure that they will be "screwed" for sure and clearly ... screwed, blued and tabooed.  There is just no way this pair of dummies will ever be able to successfully engage in any long-term cheating and not get caught.  I would say they are almost certainly "Doomed". "Doomed".  and "Doomed".  Once again  .........  Screwed, Blued and Tabooed! Hmmmmmm    ......    somehow, that just don't sound right.  Oh, well. You all know just what I'm meaning.   Don't you know?   Shirley, you must know.

When I look into my crystal ball, the future just does not look real good to me for these two. I'm guessing the entertainment value in this season of Fargo will be found in the way in which they disagree about  how often to win and how much to win and how they then get caught. There are all kinds of ways and means in which they can get caught and I'd just love to see them find a way where they go for weeks and weeks of playing and winning without getting caught ...... all the while ...... while the authorities are recording their every word and the evidence they are cheating turns out to be overwhelming and hilarious. It could easily make for a fabulously entertaining season. It could well make for the most entertaining best season yet.  How is that possible? Well, it seems to me that every season of this show has just been getting better and better as we go along. Does it not seem that way to you? I yam just so excited wit this anticipation.

Oh my! Just Wunnerful!

Edited by MissBluxom

I really liked this episode. Peter and the Wolf talkover was amazing. 

I don't see Gloria as dumb, more methodical. I loved the new female officer giving her the connection about the brothers. Winnie probably won't survive. 

David Thewlis killed it this episode, his character is SCARY!! 

And Ewan McGregor did too. 

• Love 2

Not only are the best cops in the frozen hinterlands female, they're fertile females.

OK, the people in these upper midwest small towns are folksy and friendly but Officer Lopez was volunteering details about her menstrual cycles and her sex life to Gloria, whom she'd just met.

Uncharacteristically frank for these northern people?  Well she's Hispanic so maybe she's migrated there but she has the funny accent so she must have grown up there?

• Love 1

I guess Varga's bulimia explains his horrible teeth.

There certainly were a lot of Russian references in this episode: "Peter and the Wolf," of course, but the KGB-Putin discussion, and then the poster of Stalin in Varga's office. Fun fact: Prokofiev and Stalin died on the same day. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Enjoyed the episode, and I thought it built on last week. I haven't seen the Stussy brothers as being particularly interesting until now, and I think that is starting to change. Loved the scene where Ray tries to explain things to his bosses; the writers understand that if you are going to write a character dumb, it has to be funny.

It isn't season 1, nor, especially, season 2, but it is enjoyable, nonetheless.

Edited by Bannon
  • Love 5

I also loved the Peter & the Wolf voiceovers. And the music. Brilliant, just brilliant. I really need to rewatch this episode to pick up all the nuances.

12 hours ago, ghoulina said:
13 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

Interesting. I have a lower than average body temp as well, and the same problem with those bathroom faucets/paper towel sensors.

Oh my goodness. Ditto here with the body temp and the faucet/towel sensors. Thank you for this insight!

• Love 3
4 hours ago, J-Man said:

I guess Varga's bulimia explains his horrible teeth.

There certainly were a lot of Russian references in this episode: "Peter and the Wolf," of course, but the KGB-Putin discussion, and then the poster of Stalin in Varga's office. Fun fact: Prokofiev and Stalin died on the same day. 

There are also his explanation for why he flies "coach". Remember?  He thinks he is clever by flying coach although he could afford to travel in a much costlier way.  Someone with that attitude surely would not pay $2,000 to have his upper front teeth capped. He could probably have all his teeth made to look perfect for less than $20K or so. So why doesn't he?

I think the answer might be found when asking "why should he?". It's not like he's looking to attract a love interest at his age.  So, he prefers to have the cash stashed away somewhere like in his mattress. I know some people who prefer to live this way. The money eventually is lost or goes to whoever they name in their will. Often it is found by whoever is first on the scene when they die. That can be an apartment buidling manager or a bank official. It is very strange. Wouldn't it be better to fix up your appearance with the money instead of just throwing it away?

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Magic said:

Nikki will be Ray’s downfall, I think.  It is touching he was willing to be fired for her.  And she seemed to really be missing him at the investor’s dinner.  But she is too heavily into Nikki to have room for Ray.  And she, being a con to the bone herself, is gong to be quite aware of when the shtf before almost anyone else.  Ray will try to save her, she will escape, but he won’t is my guess.

I'd say she already is his downfall. Whether or not she actually does love him, and that's up for a lot of speculation, she's already involved him in several crimes, including murder, and cost him his job, tho all of that is on him, of course. He went along with all of it only too willingly, with very little-to-no remorse over any of it so far. I know we like to root for the underdog, and Ray is that, but he's not a good man, Nikki or not. I seriously doubt things are going to end well for either of them, but that's as it should be.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

There are also his explanation for why he flies "coach". Remember?  He thinks he is clever by flying coach although he could afford to travel in a much costlier way.  Someone with that attitude surely would not pay $2,000 to have his upper front teeth capped. He could probably have all his teeth made to look perfect for less than $20K or so. So why doesn't he?

I think the answer might be found when asking "why should he?". It's not like he's looking to attract a love interest at his age.  So, he prefers to have the cash stashed away somewhere like in his mattress. I know some people who prefer to live this way. The money eventually is lost or goes to whoever they name in their will. Often it is found by whoever is first on the scene when they die. That can be an apartment buidling manager or a bank official. It is very strange. Wouldn't it be better to fix up your appearance with the money instead of just throwing it away?

I think the idea is that he wants to keep a low profile, because flashing his money around could make the authorities suspicious.

• Love 3
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I think the idea is that he wants to keep a low profile, because flashing his money around could make the authorities suspicious.

Yes. Very true. That is indeed a good reason.

Either I am in a very agreeable state today or else many of you folks are just "on fire" and hitting these questions right out of the park.

In either case,  you're making me very happy.

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 1

No character, to date, has surpassed Malvo for chilling, bone-rattlin' evil, but Varga comes close.  I'm very nervous when he's in a scene, talking too calmly, showing those disgusting teeth when he grins.  I've never seen David Thewlis play any other characters but this one sure is going to be memorable.  And of course, the sight of him wolfing down his food (and then purging-blech) will also be unforgettable.

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, luna1122 said:

I'd say she already is his downfall. Whether or not she actually does love him, and that's up for a lot of speculation, she's already involved him in several crimes, including murder, and cost him his job, tho all of that is on him, of course. He went along with all of it only too willingly, with very little-to-no remorse over any of it so far. I know we like to root for the underdog, and Ray is that, but he's not a good man, Nikki or not. I seriously doubt things are going to end well for either of them, but that's as it should be.

Well, if there is one constant about this show, it is that "people who behave well are usually rewarded and people who behave badly are usually punished." Each in an appropriate way and amount.

I suspect the writers of this show work under one primary moral imperative and that is, "Please see to it that over the course of each season, cast members are rewarded for their good deeds (although possibly, a little more that what they deserve) and cast members are punished for their bad deeds (although also, a little more than what they deserve).

In this way, audience members who have a strong sense of morality will be happy when they see good deeds get rewarded and bad deeds get punished. If there is one reason why the audience tends to be happy with this show, I think that just might be it. Would you agree?

I know that both of those premises tend to satisfy my sense of morality. This show just makes me feel good!  If I had to sum it up into a single reason for youngsters (say 13 to 18), it would be that over the course of each season on this show, people tend to get what they deserve - in spades!"

Edited by MissBluxom
  • Love 3